Obama Camp Responds to Palin Attacks

By Matthew Mosk
For a moment, the response to Gov. Sarah Palin's speech coming from the campaign team of Sen. Barack Obama appeared as though it might be gracious.

"The speech that Governor Palin gave was well delivered," Obama spokesman Bill Burton wrote in an e-mail.

Wait for it.

"But it was written by George Bush's speechwriter and sounds exactly like the same divisive, partisan attacks we've heard from George Bush for the last eight years."

The Obama team didn't stop there. The campaign released a lengthy memo under the heading "Fact Check," which said speeches by Palin and others gave a misleading account of Obama's record and plans -- especially on the question of taxes.

"Tonight you heard from several speakers at the Republican Convention all repeating the same false, discredited attacks on Senator Obama in order to distract from John McCain's promise to continue George Bush's failed policies of the last eight years for another four," the memo said.

The response effort appeared to hew to a single theme: comparing McCain to George W. Bush -- even though a large segment of Palin's speech was devoted to a pledge to change Washington.

Ironic, the Obama team said. "If Governor Palin and John McCain want to define 'change' as voting with George Bush 90 percent of the time, that's their choice, but we don't think the American people are ready to take a 10 percent chance on change."

By Web Politics Editor  |  September 4, 2008; 1:16 AM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Women React to Palin Speech
Next: Palin Wows Convention Watchers Back Home

Comments

OBAMA LIES ABOUT OUTSOURCING TO FOREEIGN SOIL!

Barack and Howard Dean are using a company called Donor Services Group in Los Angeles that has an outsource call center in Manila, Philippines to handle their fund raising efforts. T his isn't the only company they are using that is open about sending American Jobs to foreign soil. Both Obama and Dean know this but they are getting great rates on with low wages and this works in their efforts to mislead the public on jobs.

Donor Services Group is a minimum wage company that does not pay a fair wage to nearly 150 staffers and refuses to pay for all hours worked and makes WalMart look like a very generous company!

Both DNC and Barack know this and don't care that the company uses harsh tactics on the staff to get money raised.

Posted by: corwin | September 7, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

It's not gonna work this time!!! McClain/Palin must think the American people are all stupid. Their "change" speeches are a joke, but come November we'll show them and the Republican party it's a new day. Folks are gonna vote who either have not voted or could not and most will go to Obama/Biden. McClain and Palin offer nothing and have no substance as was recently evidenced during their convention. Ms. Palin doesn't have a clue about politics outside of Alaska as is confirmed by the fact that she is still reading a scripted speech. They must think we're all dumb and don't realize that she's not even close to presidential material. I predict that once we get to know her a little more there will be much to dislike. If Obama were to lose by some chance it would be a serious blow to the future of this country. Foreign countries would look at us in disgust, young people would turn off, and race relations would hit an all-time low. There would be a significant shift toward greater division which would do the country no good. McClain is too old and Palin seems to me to be very vindictive from the little we know. I don't trust the woman.

Posted by: chuck | September 7, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

What is the responsibility of a community organizer?

Who is Obama? What has he done for America or Americans?

Posted by: Michael | September 6, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

People keep accusing Sarah Palin of attacking Obama on his lack of experience. You have to call it like it is. But let's just say for the sake of argument, we'll pretend they have equal experience. BOTH of them entered their offices (in Chicago and Alaska)surrounded by corruption within their own parties. What did they do?
Sarah Palin weeded out the corruption and cleaned house. She DID cut spending-going so far as to sell the fancy private Governor's jet on ebay! I don't know too many politicians that would do that!
Now, what did Obama do? He laid off hundreds of nurses and dozens of prosecuting attorneys! WHY?! He had to create jobs for his "friends" and needed the money to pay them their high salaries. You call that SMALLER GOVERNMENT???!!!! You think that a man that did something like that REALLY cares about the average factory worker?
I am not making this stuff up or twisting any facts. It's all there to read in the Chicago newspapers. All you have to do is take the time and initiative to research their archives and you can read it for yourself!!!!!

Posted by: Stephanie | September 5, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Karen - I'll echo Jake's comments and I come from the opposite side of the fence. You should know better than to belittle someone who is clearly her own person. I wonder how any of your students would feel if you made such snarky comments about them. You should be ashamed of yourself.

BB

Posted by: Fairlington blade | September 4, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

JakeD - Thanks. I'm a bit sensitive on the matter as I've had the chance to see a young girl commit to something that meant she'd never make a lot of money, but she'd do something she loves. [She is very definitely NOT Karen.] So, the "those who can't do, teach" comment got under my skin.

I actually agree with you regarding Karen's comment. Those were condescending and unwarranted. I think Palin gave a terrific speech, better than McCain's tonight, and is a dynamo. She's an asset to the ticket and will make a positive difference with some voters.

However, I think the choice directly contradicts the main line of attack over the last several months. The first criterion for VP has to be readiness to be president. I listened to McCain on the Fox Sunday program (Chris Wallace did a great job) and he repeatedly referred to Palin's judgement when challenged on her experience.

It's not about experience. It's about judgement. That's the argument Obama has made from the beginning of his campaign. I think that McCain can challenge Obama on this, but the race is no longer about whether or not Obama passes the test of readiness. McCain conceded that point with the Palin nomination. Now we can have a campaign about character and judgment. Let the games begin.

BB

Posted by: Fairlington Blade | September 4, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Palin delivered a good speech last night with ample attacks on Obama and Biden. She did it well but offered no vision on how they will do things differently than Mr. Bush. Should I give them another four more years to make things even worse for me? I commute to work every week day. The high gas price is consuming a significant portion of my take home pay. Medically, things have not gotten better either. I've had to take my last child out of the public school system because the George Bush No-child Act has left public schools in my area worse off.

Posted by: SylvesterK | September 4, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Change to me is bringing integrity, ethical and moral character to Washington. I’m blown away by the blatant use of “Earmarks”. I believe people should use Earmarked money as a deciding factor on who they will vote for.
By a trial jury on May 13, 2008 Mr. Tony Rezko, a Chicago gangster, was convicted of 16 counts of corruption and faces years in prison. It seems odd that the selling price of a house Senator Obama purchased was significantly reduced after Rezko purchased the adjacent lot. Senator Obama is an acquaintance of Rezko.

Posted by: Simple Cowboy | September 4, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

There isn't a single politian that I have ever agreed with completely. However, Sarah Palin's stance of this-is-who-I-am-and-this-is-what-I-stand-for resonates with me.

I am tired of Obama's politically correct answers and his whole platform that America is somehow in need of a complete overhaul in order to not be an embarrassment to the rest of the world. He and his wife come off as a couple of ingrates.

Another Democrat for McCain/Palin!

Posted by: HeleneAshley | September 4, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

A few Sieg Heils would have been a perfect side dish to the main course.

Posted by: als47 | September 4, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

No matter who wrote the speech for Palin, the facts on Obama were only too true. Even I, as a Democrat, have been frightened by his economic proposals. I do not understand, with all his flip-flopping, just what his energy plans are.
As for fact checks, let them first do a "fact check" on Obama's statements & promises before they condemn statements made by the GOP.People in glass houses should not throw stones.
I still do not intend to vote for either McCain or Obama. I fear McCain's vow to not change much of Bush's legacy. I fear that the legacy proposed by Obama is an unhealthy one, if one can believe what he says, which I don't. There is an Independent convention being held next week. Hopefully, they will have someone who can light my fire! Otherwise, I would rather forfeit my Presidential vote than support either of these 2 candidates.

Posted by: ADELE FEDERMAN | September 4, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Initially intriguing, Palin started to look (and sound) like a well-trained pitbull, with lipstick.

It was a good attack speech, but what exactly should be the conclusion? She reads well, has the proper gesturing and face, but, where is the beef, sorry, the moose? The whole story seems very low class, low brow, very well suited to her adoring audience. After a while, the spectacle became repulsive.

Posted by: als47 | September 4, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

To MJM - I'd join you in you a Palin pity party (PPP), but I think the Pit can take care of herself.
To Hope - you're a Hillary supporter? Hillary who stands for the rights of women, health for all, equal pay....Hillary is a champion of the people not a pit bull in sheep's clothing.
Anonymous - Obama and Biden sounds like Osama bin Laden? You're just a moron.
Devoted - so you had a baby at 17, does that mean we should now glorify teenage pregancy because Palin's daughter was too ignorant or religious to use contraceptives? Yeah, that's a great example for our youth. Getting pregnant at 17 is ok as long as you don't abort the baby and you bully the baby's father into marrying you. I'm pro-life, but you're illogical and silly.

Posted by: Idunno | September 4, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

insted of joking on obama waries that some body would not get his rights in beeing red his right when beeing detained, let her think,was it just when mccain was mistreated by the vets,
mistreatment should be rejected by all parties
see the petition

Posted by: mohammad | September 4, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Women are smart as well as saavy. Contrary to popular belief, women know when a guy is giving them a line of commitment, support and caring which they sometimes allow because they usually have grand wishes and aspirations of where they would like the relationshipt to go. Needless to say, they are usually wrong. That being said, would'nt you think they would be smart enough to know that Sara Palin appears to be the same woman. She is indeed a pawn, which has been sacrificed by the army to save the King. She is being used as a cheap line that a shallow guy uses in an attempt to sleep with her. Only in this case it is to gain the Presidency of the United. Her mere presence, although, refreshing, is no more useful or wanted by the GOP in an attempt to give Washington back to the good old boys that she has railed fought against. The fact that she has been considered, I believe has caused her to lose focus of the true purpose of why she was selected. She even failed to pay tribute to Hillary Clinton or Geraldine Ferraro, as Guilliani did. Lets take a step back and take a good look. Can anyone really expect the Maverick Senator, John McCain taking the advise or even assistance from her on any of the issues that plauge this Country. That would be the equivalent of us attemting to tell our Grandparents how to drive and you can believe, based on Senator McCains temperment issues, he will most certainly respond in kind. I've been doing this before you were born.

Posted by: Stanley Campbell | September 4, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I think the American people should feel insulted by the attacks of McCain/Palin! they are feeding you the same BS fear...Bush did and AND ONE! all of sudden teen age unwed pregnancy is not an issue of the religious right! I'm insulted by Palin's speech-while brilliantly written, it underminds the hardworking Americans who get up everyday and fight in small organizations for a better America! do not be fooled she is not inspiring you, she is mindsrewing you and will leave you unsatisfied. Both Parties do this...it's politics! at the end of the day when they are done with thier speeches the drive home in their luxury cars, go to their luxury homes that taxpayers built; they ponder more ways to srew America. Why do you think Bush wasn't present when Katrina happened or why we have a deficit the size of china; speaking of the devil, they are watching and waiting for us to make a mistake! Don't believe the hype, while they are busy paying others to write their glittering speeches, your kids need braces and you can't afford it, your elderly mother needs health coverage, Veterans and thier families around the nation are ending up homeless (not MCcain though!)Black, white, woman, liberal, conservative, Nader, they are all the same...while they speak of "change", i'd like to be able to afford the basics...like milk for my kid!

Posted by: notimpressed | September 4, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

BB:

I apologize to your niece (unless she is "Karen" who tried to appeal to her authority as a debate teacher to talk down to Palin "not understanding" the speech in the first place ; )

Posted by: JakeD | September 4, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

So dispicable and a poor excuse for a woman. As an undecided voter, I was hoping she would represent an intelligent, uncynical woman who would address the issues at hand without sarcasm to the opposing party. That would speak in volumes. Instead, she came out with an attitude of "I am woman hear me roar". The only thing I can say is I hope on election day you roar you way back to Alaska in a pitbull cage and be served to the wolves as "red meat". Shame on you Palin!

Posted by: sabatha | September 4, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Gov. Palin showed huge self-assurance in delivering her speech before the convention & millions of TV viewers. Supreme confidence from a 44 year-old whose agenda and policies have shown zero growth during her years of holding public office suggests that she may be operating without intellectual curiosity. Scrutiny of her record confirms that she hasn't embraced a thesis-antithesis-synthesis process, and she hasn't introduced any thoughtful improvements in any of the policies she's furthered. Her record is one of successfully articulating her goal and successfully maneuvering others to get her goal chosen. She could be a V.P. like Lyndon Johnson if only she knew the people in D.C. like she knows the people in Fairbanks.

However, a candidate who presents herself as a "mom" yet left her infant within days of delivery suggests that the candidate is using the image of motherhood to cloak herself with virtue but is not actually living the life of a nurturing mother for her brood. It appears that Gov. Palin doesn't actually spend her days caring her young children, which the moniker of "mother of five" would suggest.

As Fred Thompson & John Edwards discovered, voters won't
warmly endorse a candidate for being a "good family man" when clearly neither spent their lives tenderly caring for their offspring in the way of beloved fathers. Gov. Palin is who she is: an ambitious. shrewd political winner. I doubt she'll fool voters who are mothers caring for their offspring as being one of them.

Given the obvious old-fashioned mothering done by Michelle Obama and the picture-perfect sweetness of her daughters, Gov. Palin should cut the false crap and not try to compete for the votes of women who are swayed by that criteria.

Posted by: Independent voter | September 4, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I'd just like to stand up and appluad "Hmm's" post above. Well said!

Posted by: Wade | September 4, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Your short lead-in piece would be far more complete and useful if you had included the Obama campaign's lengthy memo refuting the "misleading account of Obama's record and plans" included in the convention speeches by Palin and others.

Posted by: J. M. Houlahan | September 4, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I think Palin was very moving when it came to her speech. She moved a lot of people including myself. But to be honest, I can move folks with the way I present a speech also. Being a woman,I am proud to see her up there, but being an american and looking to get past these last eight years, I would be a fool not to look past all that rhetoric and sarcasm, knowing that she is running as McCain's mate and that he supports Bush as much now as he ever has. And further, I feel that his selection in Palin is merely as a silent partner, if elected, because he would not really seek her advice, experience or inexperience, but rather, he would overlook her as a woman and seek the advice of Bush, Lieberman and those other men he wanted to choose. When one of his followers called Hillary Clinton the "B" word, he thought it was funny, which shows just how much respect he has for us as women. I pray that people see where this country is headed or what it has become and choose on the issues of the world which we know needs to be changed, like healthcare, jobs, equal pay for women, education, foreclosures, gas prices, etc. and choose a new direction for our country. I know that we all see Obama and Palin as history. That's great, but to choose Palin would keep us headed in the wrong direction, and Obama in a new direction. A lot of folks want to think that choosing Obama is such a risk, but I believe that if I going in the direction of falling off the cliff, and I got a barrier that is going to stop me from falling and turn me around, its worth the risk. Lets pray that the Lord will open up the eyes of our hearts so that we can make the right choice, not only for ourselves, but for all concerned. Vote for Change. Vote Democrat. I Love You All.

Posted by: mblackman | September 4, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Let me tell you what I thought Mrs. Palin make a good impressive to people on her speech last night. But, my perpective on her is she has a good memor. By the time she was representation on her speech its make me feel like a machine talking its not real like she spoke its just something in a book or on a paper she had read it before she did. I don't like to vote for someone personality and fate character its try to be perfect. My father was a soldier in vietnam war too. Unfortanetly, he passed away for long times ago.

Posted by: Katrina D. | September 4, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

To Midwestmom:

Also as a mom, I want to say to you:
Shame on you!
You're the shame of most of moms.

Posted by: DC Mom | September 4, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Palin is the hockey mom from hell.

Are Hockey Moms Grown In Hell?
What does it say about a person who jokes that lipstick is the only difference between herself and a pit bull… a dog known from multiple news reports for being unrelenting, uncontrollable and a deadly killer of children and people…?

Posted by: tankas | September 4, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

With all of her baggage isn't hypocrite Palin trying to become one of those enlitist washington insiders. I am just waiting for the other shoe(s) to fall out of her closet.

Posted by: daisy | September 4, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

her speech was packed with lies. she has more money in the bank than joe biden. she attacked michelle obama after the GOP made this big show that families need to be left alone. she can't hide from the media forever as far as answering policy question. btw, she stands for and has set policy that hurts a. families that have special needs kids and b. teenage mothers. and community organizers work hard for a living and make a lot less money than she does. she's horrible. and i'm a mom, a christian (but not the kind that speaks in tongues or is waiting for the 'end times" like she and her church are) and deeply patriotic. moms, centrists, people of faith- do not get fooled. she is extreme and scary.

Posted by: midwestmom | September 4, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

To HughAllen:

Your imagery is so dead on!!! Tickled my funny-bone despite my attempts at control!

But seriously, this election is not about the characters involved, but about a fairly urgent need to adjust to a world that has gone "global village" while we were enjoying our BBQs. And there, as I have described in my posts earlier, Obama is defining the right questions that need to be asked and answered. McCain (at least the McCain that has shown up on the campaign trail) doesn't seem to realize that the questions have changed: he's just sure that he can answer the old ones quicker, better, faster.

Posted by: mandeepsingh | September 4, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Well, I've been thinking a lot. I'm a democrat, and usually vots a straight ticket. But after the press slaughter of that good family, I'm going to have to register republican. Honestly folks, if you can't be decent, I don't want to be affiliated with you!

Posted by: Jim | September 4, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

To "Hmm": I see where you're coming from. I have always been at a loss to figure where Republicans are coming from: your post finally gives me something I can understand.

I am hugely liberal, but so far as personal responsibility and accountability are concerned - I am "Republican" as it is described by you. I am not for whiners either.

I believe that there are situations where personal responsibility is not sufficient. Take the Fire Department for example - the house owner can't douse the fire themselves, so the community organizes and creates a Fire Department. The highway infrastructure of this country is another example.

As the issues get larger, larger organizations have to handle them. That role has historically been played by the Government.

In the past, the US has had a Government which has worked brilliantly. IN FDR's time, for example. Today, however - and I'm the first to agree here - our Government is very, very wasteful to start with, and not even tackling the right issues.

So, I don't know WHAT ORGANIZATION tackles this (Government or something else; and no the INDIVIDUAL can't - it's too big), but there ARE very real issues that are hurting the competitiveness AND well-being of our citizens. Health Care costs are out the wazoo. I know of people who have flown to India to get surgeries there - because it's more affordable than even their copayments in the US. What happened at Enron was a travesty - people who'd worked all their lives - doing everything right - lost their jobs AND their pensions because the rules that the CEOs were playing by were not effective in protecting their interests.

Something has to play that role. Yes, the WASTE from Government MUST go. Yes, their priorities also MUST change. But even after that, if we starve the Government of the resources it needs to do an effective job of these very real issues, then as the USA, we have to create some other kind of mega-large community organization which can handle this stuff.

There's one more problem. Government is tasked to do what the lawmakers say they should do. And, given our campaign laws, by the time congresspeople are elected, they owe huge favors to the lobbies that elected them. So, the laws they pass end up being cockamamie crap which help the biggest companies in the US, and their CEOs, but not the common people. And this is a problem with Republicans AND Democrats.

That is why this election is so important. We need to fix government this time around to work FOR us.

McCain has a reputation for being a maverick. But as I watch him during this election cycle, I see that he doesn't have control of his message. To win, he's having to toe the line of the Republican vested interests. I fear if he gets elected, he'll still be constrained and have to deliver on what he's saying.

Obama, on the other hand, has been saying what I've outlined above. AND, he's made the point that special interest money is one of THE key issues that kills all good intentions. And, he's managed to fight this battle without their money. If elected, will he make a good President? I don't know. I just know that we've got to TRY something which has a chance of working vs. doing the same thing again, which guarantees failure.

On the positive side, I have been heartened to note that ground that Obama stakes out sticks. Prez Bush didn't want a timetable in Iraq. Obama kept talking about it. The Iraqi PM finally said I want one. And now we have a timetable for withdrawal.

I'm hopeful that he will prevail, and I pray that he'll be able to make a difference if he gets elected.

Regards,
Mandeep

Posted by: mandeepsingh | September 4, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is in lock-step with all the old, white men that still comprise most of the GOP. Spouting the same, tired rhetoric that has led to America's tragic downfall these last eight years...for her to attack Senator Obama on being a community activist? Shameful. The GOP wouldn't know community activism if it bit them in the a**!! Does Katrina ring a bell?!?!?!? This Canadian, for one, is PLEADING with you people not to vote for more of the same bunch of hypocritical, right-wing nutjobs who have plunged your country into economic turmoil and made you an international joke. Senator Obama and Senator Biden are your only hope people...Sarah Palin was just a bizarre, totally last-minute choice to make it look like "Gramps" McCain is all about change...he isn't. He's all about more of the same old, same old. Emphasis on the OLD. Do the right thing...elect Obama/Biden and restore your credibility in the world.

Posted by: DGFMitchell | September 4, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Is this what America's come to? A geriatric with a twitchy trigger finger and a small-town harpy hand-loading his buckshot. It's beyond certainty that if the US goes for this ludicrous package the rest of the world will throw up its hands in amazement and pass us right on by. If it wants to sustain its position in the world and as an economic power the USA needs someone who thinks about how to deal intelligently with a complex and changing world: not someone whose second name is 'Rash' and who has spent so much time in the cockpit all he can see is bandits in the rear view mirrow instead of where the heck the plane should be headed

Posted by: Hugh Allen | September 4, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Last night, we found out about the real Sarah Palin. I have never seen such a desperate group of assassination artists trying to take this good family woman down. These dirtbags should all be ashamed of themselves. Let the candidates debate among themselves, and the public can choose whose agenda is best. The real story so far is the pathetic smear artists, who want to take this woman down without giving her a fair chance, through hateful lies and false rumors.

Posted by: MJM | September 4, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Palin was brilliant her first time out! She may be the only one that has attacked OBAMA where it hurts and put his leadership experience or lack thereof into perspective. We will see where this goes. Still undecided on whom to vote for...but being a Hillary supporter...voting for a woman might be the result.

Posted by: Hope | September 4, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

How come the national media hasn't made more of the fact that despite the Palin's attempts to portray themselves as just folks they live so much better than most in their state?
Alaska National Census 2006
• Median Household Income: $59,393
• Per capita Income: $26,919
• Male full-time, year round, workers median income: $48,703
• Female full-time, year round, workers median income: $36,655
If you include the permanent fund dividend that Alaska distributes to its residents as a way of sharing oil tax revenues, the family made about $100,000 last year, not counting Sarah's $125,000 salary as governor.
In 2007, the median annual household income was $50,233.00 according to the Census Bureau.The real median earnings of men who worked full time, year-round was $45,113. For women it was $35,102.
Once again how do you make the elitist argument when you live so much better than the average person expected to vote for you? Not exactly living of the land up there in Alaska are they?

Posted by: Dave Hunter | September 4, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

What hypocrites the Repubs are. After years of demeaning every teenage girl that got pregnant, especially black teen girls, now all of a sudden since one of their own is with child, she is to be commended for keeping the kid. Well if the other unwed mothers had not kept theirs also, they would not be called unwed mothers. Also praise is being heaped on Palin for keeping her special needs child all the while the Repubs in Congress have fought against adding money to the budget to help ordinary families in America take care of their special needs children. Strange how the Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly crowd have changed their tune on teen pregnancy. The Palin girl pregnancy also points out the need for sex education and and birth control to be taught to teens. It is apparent that she was not waiting until marriage to have sex. By the way I have two daughters that were teen mothers and they kept their kids also.

Posted by: Julius G | September 4, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Here's the thing about pit bulls -- yes, they can be vicious, but they are also dumb. They can be sweet and loyal, but if something small and fast runs by, including children, they lose their crackers and will attack it. Not the world's most flattering analogy.

Note to self - If I ever make it to a major political convention, do not compare self to dog who operates on 99.9% base instinct.

Posted by: Midwest Mom | September 4, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

to those touting "mccain is the only one who has fought for you...":
there are more ways to fight for the quality of life for americans than to go to war. in case you weren't paying attention, vietnam was no threat to the US. he was fighting for THEIR quality of life, not ours. My father was a viet vet and this is one of the things that he taught me from a young age. helping people in other countries is noble, but not always right. sometimes you just have to mind your own business and let others fight for themselves for their own greater good. obama has fought the good fight from the home turf. he has helped the poverty stricken and taught them how to help themselves. he has helped those in need in his own country. in case you haven't noticed, the quantity of people in this country who need help is rising exponentially. people are having to choose between medication and food. a lot of people do not seek healthcare when they are sick because they have no insurance and cannot afford it. we're losing our homes and our jobs. natural disasters are afflicting so many and they have no one to turn to for help. our children are getting a shoddy education. social security, which you pay into every time you get a paycheck, is being taken away and our elderly cannot afford to survive it. so mccain fought a war overseas 40 years ago to help another country with their problems. it is now time to help this country with its problems. i haven't heard anything from mccain or palin that suggests they are ready to do that. obama has already proven that he is. as a matter of fact, he's been doing it for years. so anyone who wants to dredge up the past and repeatedly say 'but mccain fought for us! he did, he did!' just sounds like someone who knows that mccain/palin have no idea how to fix the problems this nation faces. they are not fighting for us. they are fighting for the same personal agendas that bush as fought for. so lets take rights away from women and drill ANWR until there is nothing left (a side effect of more drilling is more money for the already money-lush big oil companies) and then tell everyone that all of our problems are solved...

I'm an American person who is not ready to take a 10% chance on change

obama/biden

Posted by: mississippigurl | September 4, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

A cheerleader, just what we need as vice president. Every time Sarah Palin opens her mouth, a squeaky anoying voice comes out chanting "J. S. Mcain" along with her fully disfunctional family cheering.

Posted by: Mike M. | September 4, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Again...more comments from socialist liberals who want someone to take care of them. If you believe in personal responsbility and accountability - you're a republican or libertarian. If you believe someone else should be making your life better - you're a democrat.

Simple stuff here.

People like Obama/Biden because they do offer something --> to take from the evil rich people and companies to redistribute wealth. Republicans offer more opportunity. Ask yourself - are you more motivated when you think your check will never stop showing up or when you know there's a possibility it will not? I live my life not counting on it and someone else...but on me and risk/opportunity. That's what the people that founded this country believed...but along the way...people have forgotten it.

Liberals look for a sure thing - government control. Conservatives want risk and opportunity...and aren't afraid of it.

Class warfare? Have's vs have nots? Maybe better said as those that put their money where their mouth is (conservatives) and those that want to use other people's money (liberals). I can't seem to find a liberal that will open up their wallet the way conservatives do...to causes they believe in. And...I am not talking about donating $20 to Obama. I'm talking support of your church...local YMCA...local not-forprofit that is accountable...unlike government. It's always someone else's responsbility for the libs. It's easy to spin that as "collective responsbility" when you know in your heart it means you want to pay less and have someone else pay more.

Sarah scares the libs. She's smart...achieves her dreams....is aggressive...it well spoken...and can relate to a ton of people out there in ways libs can't.

This election, as always, boils down to those that will sell the treasury to buy votes (easy to do - liberal thing to do) and those that say government wants you to be accountable and free (much harder sell when you have a country post 1960's).

I think Obama/Biden is in real trouble. Because McCain has the right ideas. Because he has an excellent running mate. Because he takes the wind out of Obama's "Change" sail by not picking a beltway insider (as OBAMA DID).

Posted by: Hmm | September 4, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Dems position boils down to this; elect anyone, I mean anyone, that stood against Bush. Good platform. Bush clearly took this country to places (figuratively and literally) that he should have avoided. But to position a platform of "change and hope" and give the reins to untested orator is simple minded at best. Look at the facts and use your head. Make a change, either side will deliver that, but know that the vote is not for or against Bush, it will be about experience, leadership and a willingness to MAKE decisions when the answers are critically important. Review which ticket has delivered this in the past.

Posted by: Mike M | September 4, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin just doesn't deserve to be the vice presidential nominee, there are too many other republicans women and men, that have been waiting for their chance and McCain snubbed them in favor of a gimmick designed to wrestle the female vote from the democrats. Unlike Obama who purposely picked an alpha male Vice President who will openly disagree with him, you can bet behind closed doors Sarah Palin will keep her mouth shut and if she really wants to accomplish something should she become the next vice president she ought tread carefully on who she calls elitist Washington insiders, because as Jimmy Carter found out you can't do a thing without them

Posted by: Curtis J | September 4, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Jake - I echo the Tina Fey comment. The resemblance is remarkable (and Tina could pull off Palin's feistiness). I loved the beech is the new black commentary.

Shame you had to throw in the crap about teachers. My niece wanted to be a teacher from an early age. Not because she can't do anything, but because she is a talented, motivated young woman. You owe her an apology. Perhaps it's those who can't teach, blog.

BB

Posted by: Fairlington Blade | September 4, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The admirable words used in speeches last night were "PRESENT" in Rudy's speech.

"RESONSIBILITY" in Palin's.

The two words that shook the foundation of staunch Dem party voters, are going to be the ones Obama has a task in responding to.

The hardest phrase for Obama will be
"Mc Cain is the only candidate running that actually fought...."

Those are the items I would like to see a response to.
A credible response, and not "children throwing toys at walls" types of responses I have been reading.

Posted by: woman citizen | September 4, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Two impressions undeniably stands out from Gov. Palin’s speech last night….

1. “The difference between a pit bull and a hockey mom is lipstick!,” and

2. Her humble and working class lifestyle says it all about her issues because she’s living them and if there is disagreement with them, you still know her intent is from the right place.

We say, “Home run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Here’ ANOTHER Democrat for McCain/Palin 08′!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Two impressions undeniably stands out from Gov. Palin’s speech last night….

1. “The difference between a pit bull and a hockey mom is lipstick!,” and

We say, “Home run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Here’ ANOTHER Democrat for McCain/Palin 08′!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I hope the Democrats will point out the other lies in her speech, in addition to those she told about Senator Obama. For example, her pretense that she rejected the Bridge to Nowhere out of principle -- she turned it down because Alaska wasn't willing to come up with its share of the cost. Also, it was astonishing that she said the McCain campaign imploded last year because he was a brave reformer. Check it out, it imploded because of bad management, internal hostilities and poor fiscal controls.

The only really appealing thing that has come to light about her governing record so far is that she sold the state plane on e-bay. But hey, isn't Meg Whitman, e-bay's retired CEO, a big-time McCain financial supporter? So is Palin giving subliminal advertising in return? Where are the voracious bloggers on this?

Posted by: judyline | September 4, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

obama/biden

sounds suspiciously like osama bin laden

im gonna go for mcain and palin

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Palin's speech was very attacking but there was not much substance in it. I think she took the LOW road. The speech was filled with contradition and hypocrisy.

Devoted mom with good christian values = unmarried teenage daughter having sex out of wedlock being paraded infront of an audience as acceptable christian standards.

There was nothing in the speech about their plans. It was filled with the same attacking rhetorics. I'm sure if Barack was to start attacking her he will be deemed sexist. Though I wouldn't wish for him to stoop to the Reps level, I say the gloves are off and in a man's world SP should take it like a man.

Posted by: NotimpressedbySarahPalin | September 4, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

you guys are always talking about "hate dividing politics" while you essentially just tear down anything established and leave it there happily singing a tune like its in a decent state.

you are only faulting the republican party for not taking complacency lying down...how idiotic.

thats the same type of logic that suggests that a party designates the actual
leadership of its constituents. the fact is, republicans take a second to look at the facts before claiming a candidate is lying instead of just accepting the liberal or republican agenda.

theres a reason republicans consistantly are pro life, because when it comes down to it, giving a life is always better than taking it.

its simple logic, they dont take sides and sit on thier butts, but instead take ISSUES! the difference between sides and issues is that issues are based on an actual situation, whereas sides are simply to omgosh here it is

BE DIVISIVE!

and why oh why would the democrats want to be divisive? because history has shown us that republicans are actually capable of sticking with thier principles where a democrats ideals flip around with the popularity.

division sells democratic votes:

why do you think the democratic party is foremost in such areas as

ACLU

Feminism

(other special interest groups of the like)

government taking care of the poor instead of human influence

ALL of their stances if you follow them logically are divisive stances by themselves, they take away teh human influence in the lives of people, and as a result is teh equivalent of "paying off" a person who is "lesser" than them.

Posted by: wombat | September 4, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

>>Let us face the truth
The Democrats have been doing that for the last 8 years, glad to see you joining them.

>>the far left liberals
That's me.

>> are in panic mode
Dawg, it's way too early in the day for panic mode. You have build up to that, you can't come out of the box pulling your hair and screaming at everybody.

>> by the fact that the McCain/Palin team stands a very good chance of defeating the Obama/Biden team
They always did, they are the candidates for the other major party. It's not like they're Bob Barr or Ralph Nader.

>> just look at how close the race is.
I did, and it appears to be slipping away from the McCain ticket. Daily tracking indicates the Republican aren't moving the middle of the country thus far.
Here's some data...oh wait, your not allowed to look at that...here's some data for everyone who isn't a Republican.

Some of the highlights, Palin is a wash so far, she encouraged and discouraged roughly the same number of people. Around 70% of the country doesn't really vote on the VP choice (imagine that).

Here's the Gallup tracking numbers up to the first day of the R convention.
The movement thus far is within the margin of error for the poll and looking back McCain has been drifting round 43% for some time now and he's never polled above 45%.
Obama is hovering around 50%

If you look at projections for the electoral college vote, it's even less competitive.
The other problem for the Republicans is the debates. They wont do well because largely they want to continue the unpopular programs of the Bush administration. Debates tend to be policy driven, how many times can you repeat "The Dems hate America!!!" before most people decide your a babbling idiot.

Posted by: dijetlo | September 4, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Palin is the biggest joke being played on America. I sincerely hope the media's not asleep at the wheel on this one they were with G2. Too much is at stake this time. And when will Rudy stop profitting off of 911. What a hypocrite the guy is. Wake up America...the world is watching and waiting for us to return to our place of prominence in the world.

Posted by: breh/California | September 4, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

if you were to take palin's speech and delete everything that she said against the opposition and all the times she referred to mccain being a 'pow', what would be left? NOTHING. she said nothing. not what she intends to do for her country, nothing about health care, social security, or education, which are three of the biggest issues on people's minds. yeah she's a pitbull, alright. and nothing else. she's a completely empty icon for mccain to appeal to women voters. does he really think that women are going to vote for him simply because his VP is a woman? come one, mccain, stop patronizing the women of this country. we ARE smart enough to vote for a candidate who will meet the needs of this wonderful country, not a candidate who is simply another woman on the sidelines of a hockey game with family problems she should be attending to but is too busy with her political career to be bothered with. she's a self-serving liar and has NO EXPERIENCE! mccain is old, so do we really want this 'pitbull with lipstick' running our country when he is unable? i think not.

go obama/biden!!

Posted by: mississippigurl | September 4, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I thought for a moment this would be an election about ideas. But by reading some of the comments, this is getting way too emotional. I hope we can get some humor back into this debate, and get back to the issues.

Posted by: mgultch | September 4, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

the problem with calling her corrupt, it betrays that you beleive that americans are stupid, because she has an 80% approval rating.

as for jon mccains well documented racist remarks, even martin luthor king jr said racist things AT THE HEIGHT of the civil rights movement...to claim that makes a person racist is exactly what u talk about...shallow and low.

Posted by: wombat | September 4, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

i am not a US citizen, but resident in the Uk. Having watched and read through Palin speech,it does not portray her as a woman, women are the other side of a fiery mateter, they invoke the loving side of everyone, especially their kind. But she decided to follow the old boys group who she represents, anyway, those who live in a glass house should not throw stones. I expected class in this lifetime speech of hers. Time will tell me of such folly.

Posted by: AMASED | September 4, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

This is riduculous. People wake up. This mentality that we should have someone in the white house that "is like us, or we can relate to" is how we got duped in the first place with Bush. I did not vote for Bush in 2000 or 2004 for the reason that he is too much like many of us. Well not like me, because I am going to college and working in construction all at the same time. I am not getting a free ride like many wealthy people. But I am doing ok for myself
I feel very uncomfortable having average people or below average people running the most powerful country in the world. Some of us wanted to "have a beer with Bush" and look where that has gotten us. And by the way Bush barely graduated from college. To soley base your vote on whether you like the way someone carries themselves or whether you can picture having a beer with them is irresponsible. And this goes to both parties. We are not electing prom king or queen. You have to worry about the issues concerning you and your family. Think about how you are going to put your kids through school or be able to pay your medical bills. Or whether you will have job next week or next month. I have learned the hard way, I come from a moderate conservative background. And I am not worried about the social issues anymore like in the past. I really do not care if homos get married, a lady wants to have an abortion. It is up them to make their peace with God. People have to finally realized that this is a way the GOP gets our votes. Bush had the white house and the congress in his hands the past 8 years did he do anything about those issues? Not a thing. So now I am worried on how I am going to put food on my table, pay for my tuition, pay my mortage, and help my parents along the way. Because I am not the only one struggling, there are a lot of people losing their jobs and homes. Its funny that while I am writing this I got call from my boss saying not to show up for work today. my hours being cut...

Posted by: A Real Blue Collar American | September 4, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Let's just start at the beginning of her speech with Palin's claim that she will be a champion of children with special needs in the White House. Palin CUT the Alaska budget for children with special needs. Some champion. The lies and sarcastic venom continued throughout, along with the ommissions and exaggerations. I wasn't impressed, just terrified that this woman could even get a mile close to the White House. As for her saying she doesn't need the press, perhaps she'd like to read the tale of Richard Nixon. It was the press who caused his downfall and the press whom I hope will do fact checks on this hateful speech and the ones to come. The convention did provide some laughter. Key moment for me was hypoctical Rudy - Mr. 3 times married who informed his 2nd wife he was divorcing her at a press conference - talking about McCain's honor - Mr. I cheated on my first wife who was disabled while 2nd trophy wife applauded. Hardly my definition of honorable men, either of them.

Posted by: Linda | September 4, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Wow! Indeed reflecting on some of the comments posted. Clearly the RNC & Palin's Speech last night- goes to show how the REPUBs want America to forget that they have been in power for the past 8yrs w/ exception of the last 2yr in the house.
The hypocrisy rector is way too much for anyone to objective in this case. For someone's debut, I thought she was calculative and not compassionate as some may say.
And she is clearly not a reformer based on her record although she wants us to believe otherwise. She clearly does things based on her self interest, and if you don't agree she throws you the wolves. She was a Pat Buchanan Gal...Does that speak volumes? And if truly McCain-Palin want to clean up Wash-DC- they sure need to start with their own party see they are the ones who have brought to this nightmare...but WE CANNOT CONTINUE ON THIS PATH OF PARTISAN- HATE DIMINING POLITICS THAT DIVIDES THE COUNTRY. YES, THE REPUBS ARE EFFECTIVE AT THEIR ATTACKS WHEN THEY HAVE NOTHING CONCRETE TO OFFER- I THOUGHT MCCAIN STATED HE WANTED DIFFERENT KIND OF POLITICS? HMMM I GUESS THAT IS THE DUEL MCCAIN THESE DAYS... WE DON'T WERE HE STANDS ANYMORE....SORRY YOU MCCAIN-PALIN PRAISER....I THINK YOU MISSED THE DIVISIVENESS IN THAT SPEECH...I WAS DISPOINTED AND DON'T THINK SHE BEST PERSON TO EMBRACE AS MODEL FOR WOMEN.
TRUE HER FAMILY IS FOCUS AND STRENGTH, BUT IF THEY SHOULD USE THIS STORY IF THEY DON'T WANT THE MEDIA TO CRITISE. CONGRATS ON THE ACHIEVEMENT FOR MRS. PALIN BUT DISAPOINTED...I THINK SHE PROBABLY IS MORE TYPICAL POLITICIAN THAN ANY OF THE CANDIDATES INCLUDING MACCAIN... AMERICA WAKE UP....NO MORE DIVISIONS...AND NO MORE OF THE SAME...AS MUCH AS THEIR DISGUISE THEMSELVES...

Posted by: Concerned American | September 4, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Some people heard "smaller government, reform, fewer taxes, more drilling, down with liberals, mayors have responsibilities, special needs advocate" Or at least that's the gist I'm getting. I heard smaller government, but it wasn't meaningful because it reminded me of the fact that she fired everyone who disagreed with her, and has left the Troopers in Alaska understaffed. She said fewer taxes, but she raised sales taxes in her hometown and left it with a big deficit. Also, Alaska's finances are different than the finances in the lower 48 because of Big Oil. She talked about ethics reform but she's under an ethics investigation, and ya know the fact that she tried to ban books in her hometown doesn't seem ethical-- it gives me the heebie jeebies. She's into censorship! She compared being a community organizer to being a mayor, but when Barack was a community organizer she was a member of the PTA. It would be more accurate to compare her time as mayor to Obama's law school, Harvard Review, teaching, civil rights lawyering and state senate experience. I don't know . . I'm rambling but the fact that she significantly cut the budget in Alaska for special education, as well as children's benefits, and teen pregnancy programs makes her totally archaic and backward to me. Using her offices of power to test loyalty and pursue family vendettas also seems archaic and backward-- and immature. High school-ish. And she laughs about Obama's devoted fans, and winks at the whole thing about him being a "savior" but isn't that how she's being touted. Blech! Oh, one last thing about smaller government. They keep blaming the Dems and the elite for the mess we're in, but the mess we're in was created and exacerbated by a social conservative who views the Iraq War as a holy mission and who views civil liberties as disposable (with the exception of packing heat) and a hunter. Kerry was right last Sunday. She's another Cheney, right out of the Flat Earth Caucus. And while I'm ranting, I'm sick and tired of intellectual sophistication being called "elitist." There is room for both small town America AND cosmopolitan America. Why resort to denigration? Education is something to be proud of!! If we don't think so, we're going to fall behind in the world when it comes to having a powerful, well-equipped work force.

Posted by: Char | September 4, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Obama and McCain Tax Proposals
According to a new analysis by the Tax Policy Center, a joint project of the Urban Institute and the Brookings Institution, Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain are both proposing tax plans that would result in cuts for most American families. Obama's plan gives the biggest cuts to those who make the least, while McCain would give the largest cuts to the very wealthy. For the approximately 147,000 families that make up the top 0.1 percent of the income scale, the difference between the two plans is stark. While McCain offers a $269,364 tax cut, Obama would raise their taxes, on average, by $701,885 - a difference of nearly $1 million.

also she does not believe in global warming
she tries to ban books and bullies librarians

member of the AIP that wants to leave the US and start its own country - the video of her speeches is out there

she laughs while hosts call other women degrading names - those tapes are out there

she used the bridge money

she left her town $27 million dollar in debt

she hacked into other peoples computers during one campaign - proof is out there

she USED LOBBYISTS when she was mayor for over $20 million of benefits

Posted by: a palin analysis from a woman | September 4, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Funny how this VP candidate can slam her opponents for their supposed lack of leadership and call Obama a "community organizer" and that's ok. When the Dem's did the same type of thing to her all of the Repugnant's got all upset.

You stand up and celebrate the character of a man who is a documented and known racist. I really hope some of his comments got caught on camera or tape and end up all over the internet so we can see how quickly you people back peddle then. I'm willing to bet you'll do it faster than an NFL cornerback.

Posted by: R.G | September 4, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

To white male:
How DARE you accuse her of being a "God-awful" mother (I am guessing because she has a pregnant teenage daughter)?!
My mother was a stay-at-home-farmers wife and mom, and I got pregnant at 17. She was disappointed in my actions but supported me, and my son is now 15 years old and they are best friends. I am happily married now, and contrary to what Obama and YOUR party say, he was NEVER a "punishment". I GIVE SARAH PALIN AND HER FAMILY MY UTMOST RESPECT FOR NOT HIDING THE FACT OF HER DAUGHTERS PREGNANCY! Obama himself made the comment that he was going to teach his daughters 'morals and values', BUT if they made a 'mistake' he didn't want them punished with a baby. So HE acknowledged that children are not perfect all the time, but maybe he just means that democratic kids don't need to be perfect- only Republican kids.
My son was born at barely 6 months. He weighed under 2 pounds (abortions are performed at MUCH later gestations) and when he was born, NO lifesaving measures had to be performed to keep him alive. In fact, they tried to intubate him to keep him from "tiring out breathing on his own" and he pulled the respirator tube out. So they stuck him in an oxygen hood and he did just fine. So DON'T tell me that a person of that gestation is not a "viable human being". I AM DISGUSTED BY ALL THE CRITICISM OF THE DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE.

Posted by: Devoted Mom | September 4, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Mrs Palin rocked it out. Some say...why didn't she mention things for the middle class. She did! She said...middle class (i.e. me) go and make something. I'll get government out of your way! That's what I want to hear. Not more government, more taxes, more programs. A solid safety net and nothing less, nothing more.

The issue is that the liberal left think you aren't doing something unless you're taking money from a productive person and giving it to someone else.

I am proud of her and her family. Guess what, my Pastor's daughter got pregnant, and we supported her. Bad choices happen...but take responsibility. Making a bad choice doesn't make a baby a mistake.

I am aghast that people are so concerned about Roe V Wade. If RvW were gone tomorrow, it would turn to the states to decide on abortion. And...I don't see how people think a baby is a choice. It's a baby...a precious life. The choice was made to have sex.

I never see women who are proud of their decision to have an abortion.

Less government, lower taxes, strong defense. That's what I heard last night.

It wasn't "well...we'll take care of all you victims."

I am loving it. Good Job Palin!

Posted by: MakeUsProud | September 4, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, Tina Fey needs to come back to SNL this month.

Posted by: JakeD | September 4, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

You don't stick a person in a classroom with a bunch of students and call them a teacher. They may have once a student and OBSERVED the duties of being a teacher, but that doesn't give them the knowledge and faculties to MAKE the right decisions for a classroom of kids. Yet people want to give Obama the trust and responsibility to make decisions for our entire country. He doesn't have the job experience to run a country. He has proven he can't make a decision on his own. Almost every time he has lately, someone on his campaign team changes his mind for him. What is our country to do if he becomes president and our country faces another terrorist attack? There won't be enough time to gather a team of people together to tell him what to do?! Are we the [American] people supposed to hide under our beds and wait for him to make a Presidential decision and then change his mind when his "team" advises him otherwise?
The job as President of ANY country is NOT the place to 'learn the job'!!!

Posted by: former Democrat | September 4, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Her voice is SOOOO annoying. Her mind is obviously shallow. She delivers script with the same valley girl expressions and eye-rolling as the bimbos on fox news.

She is neither intelligent nor a person of high character.

The basic facts of her being a corrupt hack and God-awful parent undermine any notion to the contrary.

Posted by: White male | September 4, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

its real simple

OBAMA: sees that theres dust in your house

offers to fix the problem

demolishes your house

MCCAIN: sees that theres dust in your house

offers to fix the problem

hires a maid

anymore complicated than that, and your just trying to convince people that your demolished house helps because your too prideful to admit you got shafted.

Posted by: wombat | September 4, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

She was damn charming.

Obama's team could use clips intended to equate her charm to Bush's and end the segments with, "They conned us twice. But there won't be a third."

Posted by: WJT | September 4, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I watched Palin's speach last night and let me tell you-- WOW! I had previously heard her interviewed on Glenn Beck, and at the time I thought THAT is the kind of person we need running our country! She really truly GETS it! She understands the way we normal, everyday Americans think and feel. And it was obvious to me by watching her and listening to her, both during her interview with Glenn Beck and last night, that she is really truly genuine. Unlike most politicians out there who say what they think will get them elected, and then do what THEY want when they do get elected. Democrats are so quick to point out that that is what George W Bush did, yet they can't see that that is what Obama is doing? Just look at his record of changing his mind- even only in the last year. He says one thing, and then after talking with his campaign team and finding that it is not going to be a popular opinion he changes to what will be popular. Do people really think that he will continue to go with the "popular" way of doing things when he is elected? Not until election time rolls around again. As someone who spent many years working in sales, it is not too hard to see a "slick used car salesman" and that is exactly what he is. He promises change. Considering that the American people have been screaming for YEARS for change, it was a given that that would make him a popular person to run. The point, however, is that I have heard a lot of hot air coming from his mouth, but he sure doesn't seem to be able to answer how he will PAY for these changes. People want LESS spending, we want to have a Social Security to look forward to when we retire. There is not enough in there NOW for the American people who rightly belong here. Yet he wants to ADD people. Where is the money going to come from, Obama? He also favors changes allowing new Unions to form without a private vote. You want to talk about corruption? Let's talk Unions. One of the BIG reasons that jobs keep going overseas is because companies don't want to have to deal with Union demands. I am not saying that Unions are all bad, but there is definite corruption there. And until the corruption is weeded out, let's not give Unions any more power.
People need to give very serious thought this year before they vote- Don't just vote for the one who you thinks talks a good talk. We all know by now, talk is cheap. I have struggled greatly with who to cast my vote for. Even wondered if I should even BOTHER to vote this year. I watched and listened to both conventions, and I have studied all the candidates platforms as well as their backgrounds. And the one thing I have seen is that I can TRUST Sarah Palin to keep her word, and while I may not agree with everything that John McCain stands for, at least I know he has integrity and truly does put this country first. I have heard so many people complain about the references to McCain's POW days. I have this to say to all you Obama supporters- You are jealous that he has something REAL to stand on, and you know that if Obama had been a POW (or even SERVED his country in any way) you would be milking it for all it's worth. Think about that.

Posted by: Stephanie | September 4, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

why is it that every time abortion comes up in an election people think that we are gonna overturn roe?

the mcain palin ticket brings a clear concise reformation of values in washington. while obama calls for a whole demolision with no purpose and method for rebuilding it after its demolished.

we so often presume that if one thing is wrong we have to start all over. but the reality is certain things in washington are seetup the way they are because its the most efficient means of processing information. simply because people have taken that and thrown it aside doesnt mean the medium is wrong, its the same arguement that blames video games for school shootings, but wont confront the parents or the schools tight restrictions.

Posted by: wombat | September 4, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

actually, i think ur mistaken about why some republicans "love" sarah palin.

you base alot of what you say on stereotypes, you assume a conservative is not a reformer, but in reality, we are focused on reforming what has been screwed up by teh democratic agenda with taxes being teh answer and a virtual second floor to catch all the poor and needy (who find it just kosher maintaining poor and neediness might i add, many of whome choose a pack of cigarettes over the worth of thier government issued food stamps).

the reality is, there are two types of change being offered, one is in a direction of conservation, hence conservatives. one is in a direction of demo-lishion, hence democrats. (its really quite simple they even made it phonetic)

Posted by: wombat | September 4, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

So what's the McCain-Plain plan for America ?

More Bush tax cuts for the richest Americans.

More Neocon inspired middle east wars.

Gut the federal government and gut services for all Americans.

Privatize social security.

Gut medicare.

Borrow even more trillions from the Chinese and others to pay for these wars and tax cuts.

And most importantly overturn Roe.

We all know that our nation's most pressing issue is the fight to overturn Roe.

Right ?

Posted by: MA | September 4, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I saw Palin's speech and thought it was fitting for the conservative Republican base. The large family presence on stage was a nice touch. I think that this was the first time America has gotten to see Palin in the last 5 days (and her husband for that matter) on stage actually holding their infant child. Most of the time it has been the girls in the family holding their infant brother.

Palin offered a lot of "red meat" on Obama to the Republican delegates, but offered few details or even long-term themes of what a Sarah Palin Vice Presidency would look like.

Unfortunately, the McCain did not vet Sarah Palin enough so when she tries to move forward with talk of being a reformer, her record and evangelical conservatism will surface and but the McCain campaign back on the defensive.

Most of the Republican base who "love" Palin is basing this on her views of being pro-life, taxes, and energy.

Posted by: Obama-Junkie | September 4, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

No, Karen, it's because the media is asking questions of her they would never ask a male. Did you "understand" the crowd's chant of "NBC NBC NBC" to be positive? Would you be surprised that she wrote all but two of the lines in that speech? Those who can't do, teach.

Posted by: JakeD | September 4, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

you read like a liberal picketline rob l, and a pathetically misinterpreted one at that.

first off, 80% approval rating goes in the face of about 50% of what u said.

secondly, she said she would not oppose creationism being taught, not that she would fight for it, and it does not go against our constitution, because it is a scientific reality that more scientists are facing that we cannot explain without an intelligent designer how the earth was formed (or better yet why).

thirdly, it takes balls to fire a disloyal staff, you prolly couldnt even call out a disloyal friend, when it needs done.

fourthly, the man whome she supposedly pulled strings to get fired was not only a drunk, but an abusive man. if you wouldnt go the extra mile to get a gun out of teh hands of an abusive cop, you have serious issues with logic.

need i continue?

Posted by: wombat | September 4, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

oh my freaking gosh you are an idiot, even jesus at times spoke out against the jews, its right out of the bible.

you need to get off this high horse liberal beleif that a person believes everything they listen to.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

My Mom, an old Repub, told me that Palin is a fascist, the opposite of what her party once fought for. She said, "We fought the Cold War for 50 years for this woman? Who....

Raised taxes as the Gov. of Alaska.

Wants to teach creationism in Science Class, subverting the US Constitution.

Tried to get books banned at the local library.

Fired her entire staff 10 days into term as mayor, for lack of loyalty.

Used every available lever to get an enemy fired from his job, and is still lying about it.

Put a gag order on her administration as mayor of a town of 6500.

Milked the Federal Government for huge series of earmarks, by using lobbyists.

Was not Ms. Congeniality. A Ms. Gwin, who was Miss C. , says my gal is ‘shallow.’

Enjoys killing animals. Doesn’t like Polar Bears.

Doesn’t believe in Global Warming.

Went back to work three days after having a fifth child, who has Down Syndrome, an acute care condition wherein the child’s chance of thriving is often a function of how much time his or her parents spend with them.

Used Alaska First as her campaign slogan, which is the same one as her husband’s old party, the AIP, a secessionist organization she recorded a supportive piece for this year!

Is being touted as Presidential Timber for her experience as the Head of the…now get this…the Alaskan National Guard.” If that ain’t a hoot.

Misled America about the Bridge to Nowhere, in her first national speech.

Has no International experience.

Is on the record stating the Iraq war ”is a task from God.”

Goes to a Church that hosts anti-Israel speakers.
Left her town with a huge debt, having outspent all around in her.

I could care less about Trig or Bristol, or Levi, or whatever. She’s a hack. McCain stiffed the public. The idea that she's a star is like saying that Paris Hilton is an accomplished American. She's a culture war grenade, a stooge of the right, deluded, a fascist danger to the country. We already did that with Bush, ending up with a 9.2 trillion in deficit and two unfinished wars. The Bible is a poor govt. handbook, frankly.

At any rate, this woman, Palin, believes that my 14 child should carry the baby of a rapist whether my wife and I, child be damned apparently, like it or not. Palin is of the mind that it does not matter that she was raped. She will give us no choice. . It doesn’t matter that my child does not want to carry the baby of a rapist, at 14 years old. No, Plain says she must keep it. Which, if my Republican roots are correct, is a criminal invasion of my privacy. That is a crime against my family. Palin is a fascist.

Do you remember, you older Repubs, do you remember r when the Repubs stood for Reagan's Values, not just some divisive voting bloc hewn together by Karl Rove and his cynics?

We can either, as a nation, choose liars and fascists, damning our future, or we can move forward, and lead.

Posted by: Rob L. | September 4, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I think you are a little behind the news cycle. They have palin on tape sitting in her church two weeks listening to a sermon about hating Jews. They believe jews and Israel should be destroyed.
PALIN IS A JEW HATER and it is no innuendo

=======
If Governor Palin lied about the bridge, then Senator Obama lied about disowning his Pastor of 20 years. Wait, he actually did. (Without disowning his white grandmother too.) I mean about his stance on offshore drilling.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 1:29 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

as for the concept of palin, who cares the way things were handled in alaska, an 80% approval rate clearly states she did it RIGHT! or am i to beleive you would rather go on what a "community organizer" for that.

i AM a community organizer, and i know for a FACT that there is no distinct responsibility behind it, in fact one of the largest problems with community organization is getting people to MAKE GOALS. frankly the experience in the senate, is nothing more than running a campaign, and being "present". i vote on the candidate who makes thier job a lifestyle, not the candidate that tries to make thier past turn into a job that they think will net them some form of fulfillment.

as for me, i would vote for palin standing alone vs obama and biden on teh same ticket. she could single handedly do more in a week than either of them combined in a full term in office.

thats proven by what she has accomplished, opposed to biden and obama combined.

Posted by: wombat | September 4, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

LOL, the taunting as BHO "fainters" get their BUTTS Kicked by a "Pitbull" Soccer Mom!!

Face it, she speaks better than the Messiah himself!

HILARIOUS

Posted by: Len | September 4, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Palin reads well. She sounded like a student in one of my classes that spent all her time memorizing her presentation and making notecards, but not understanding it.

This morning, one of McCain's spokeswomen said Palin will not talk to media. Is it because,like my student that used notecards and memorization for her presentation, she is not ready for the test?

Posted by: Karen | September 4, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

"Stop being so g#$ d#@n selfish and let another group give it a go."

Easy now, don't go G*d D*mning America on us! I know that's what your supreme leader wants you to do but it's actually NOT appropriate for Americans to act that way.

You want it? WHERE ARE THE DEBATES? Oh yeah, I forgot, BHO was, uh, scared, I mean, uh, thought it would give more publicity to McCain.

What a joke! Bring it!

Posted by: Tony | September 4, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

since when have christians taken idiocy lying down?

where would jesus be if he just backed down and didnt say anything that the other side disagreed about?

since when does family values, require a person to not be firm in judgment?

Posted by: wombat | September 4, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

She is not even close to a VP candidate, she is a stooge. They write words for her and she goes out and spews them out without a clue what she is saying. Mccain is using her and she doesn't even seem to know it. Her and her half dead son they parade around like a political prop.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Are you friggin kidding me? VP Palin not only ripped both of her candidates a new one, she made it funny, and did it with class!!

B.O.'s speech was gleaned so hard from the teleprompter glass that he forgot to NOT use his opponent's name, and he forgot to make it funny, or even interesting.

B.O. is a paper suit. Sarah Palin spoke from her heart last night, and anyone who watched that speech knows that B.O. and his snob campaign got more than a little something to be concerned about this election season.

Go McCain / Palin!!

Posted by: Abe Lincoln | September 4, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I want to know Obama's reaction to the Code Pinkos who tried to rush the stage during her speech.

Posted by: JakeD | September 4, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I had every intention to listen to Mrs. Palin speech with an open mind and without too much bias and prejudice. I was truly offended at her (and "The Country's mayor) tone and sarcasm regarding community organization. Since Palin doesn't know what a community organizer does (or a VP for that matter) let me shed some light...community organizing is about working collectively with people to solve problems—joining or forming organizations to address issues that concern people in their neighborhood, workplace, or community of interest (eg., senior citizens, health care, housing, environment, education, economic development). Community organizers work with others to: improve the social conditions of a community, enhance the quality of life of people, and bring people into the political process. As someone who has worked with the community it is a very, very, very difficult task and requires strong leadership abilities, decision-making skills, and a host of other qualities that a President should not only posses but be able to demonstrate.

It was community organizers that created movements in this country...has Palin ever heard of the Civil Rights movement? It is because of community organizers that Palin even has the right to vote...the women's suffrage movement started at the community level

Posted by: Nicole A. - Indianapolis | September 4, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Two basic ideas mark Obama's plan's for change. 1) Changes in tax, energy, healthcare, etc. programs, and 2)A change to more co-operation and civility in Washington politics.

Palin's speech, while attractive to the Republican base (and I do mean base), show's the same kind of partison attitude, lack of civility, and demonization of the "liberals", and the "media" that has produced the logjam of failed policy's for our country.

We can do better than that, but it must be together.

Posted by: Alan O. | September 4, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Since when does America feel sorry for an unknown woman (Palin) who shares nothing in common with Hillary but a chromosome and that steps forward to be a heartbeat away from Presidency. America is smarter than that. We are going to do a background check, on you, your record, your household...if she doesnt like it? Don't run for Vice President of the United States of America. She said nothing about what she proposes to do for me, or most Americans. Sure she will support the unfortunate disabled babies, she did tell us that! Her own interest, not the majority the gen. public.
She's cheap marketing. While she was firing at Obama, she was firing at McCain...right in the face. McCain and Palin do the same thing with their demoralize character. Attack Obama for the same things their mate does or does not have.
Feed that bull crap to the sloppy greedy pigs of this country. Not gonna work for those that want to establish an actual future in a candidate that will provide a tax cut to 95% of working Americans. And motivate us to work together to produce positive change in our country.

Posted by: amanda | September 4, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

some questions for gov. palin and her supporters:

1-why did she suggest banning books at the wasilla library? why did she fire (and then rehire) the librarian.
2- what was the fiscal position of wasilla before and after she took office?
3- why did she line item veto funds for special needs children in alaska even with a special needs nephew?
4-when did she change her mind on the bridge to nowhere?
5-when she said no thanks to the earmarks for the bridge, did she give back the money?
6-is there and inconsitency in her requesting ear marked funds from ted stevens and now being against them?

just a start.

Posted by: Q's for Sarah | September 4, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

The temperament of the McCain/Palin ticket is just too aggressiv risky and dangerous in times when we actually need the exact opposite-tough but reflective.
The values of America not only include Family,Patriotism.... but also include
decency and honour even towards our very own opponents.
That is what we should not only expect but demand from our leaders.

Posted by: Elly | September 4, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

When is she facing the Media? I can't wait

Posted by: GEORGES, DALLAS | September 4, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Let us face the truth...the far left liberals are in panic mode by the fact that the McCain/Palin team stands a very good chance of defeating the Obama/Biden team; just look at how close the race is. People forget that Obama defeated Clinton by out-lefting her to his far left base and then tried to move towards center for the general election...just who is the real Obama? We are not fooled and the liberals have just realized that their defeat is a very real possibility. As for the critics who condemn Palin for carrying her child to term even though she knew about his disabilities...one can only admire her love and respect for human life. Those of you who criticize her for this are in the same classification as Adolf Hitler...he thought that people who did not meet his definition of perfection should not have the right to life. This is not a personal attack...just my observation.

Posted by: Dan L. Socorro, NM | September 4, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

ENOUGH ALREADY!

The Republican Party has had the last 8 years --and made a mess.
Now they ask us to forget all that, and give them 4 -16 yrs more!?

Stop being so g#$ d#@n selfish and let another group give it a go.

I'm voting OBAMA.

Posted by: Mark | September 4, 2008 5:21 AM | Report abuse

It simply amazes me that these individuals are suppose to be the "family values" party. I never saw so much hatred coming from one room in one night -- and these people are suppose to be "Christians". God help us all if these people win this November. I thought Bush/Cheney were bad -- these people have really jumped the shark!

What amazes me even more -- the pundits thought it was a good speech. This tells me a lot about the MSM. Do they teach their children that this type of behavior is OK? It's okay to belittle a man/woman that has accomplished so much and this is a very meaningful accomplishment to many individuals in America (and you find this funny/entertaining). Tells me a lot about you also.

Posted by: Ann | September 4, 2008 4:48 AM | Report abuse

It is amazing that the greatest country in the world believes that marketing is the solution to leading it people.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 4:46 AM | Report abuse

Palin's speech may have been written by Bush's writer.

To preserve some perspective -- is seems that Obama's speechwriter for the barbs he directed at small-town Americans -- about their bitterness and and clinging to guns and religion -- may have been Karl Marx himself or his ghost. And only updated --
bitter small town Americans cling to guns and religion as their opiates.

Is there a touch a bitterness itself in Obama's own response to the speech?

Posted by: Local Warlord | September 4, 2008 4:33 AM | Report abuse

Our culture is so steeped in hypocrisy that one wonders whether McCain's real point with Palin was not to connect with us precisely on that level. To celebrate, as it were, the decline of the American republic. Who cares about "judgment" and civility? We will overturn Roe v. Wade, no matter what it takes.

I would submit that this episode is actually quite similar to the case of an NYU department chair who, following allegations of plagiarism, continued with the same questionable conduct (to put it mildly), apparently secure in the knowledge that such matters are always discreetly ignored.

See http://tinyurl.com/nyuplagiarist

Posted by: View from Here | September 4, 2008 2:46 AM | Report abuse

McCain sold his soul to the republican base and is no longer a maverick or respected by me.

Politics of yester-year, soon to end!

Posted by: Scott from Iowa | September 4, 2008 2:23 AM | Report abuse

I think they just dug their own grave. Not once did Obama or Biden go after this woman, in fact they defended her and even Obama made a comment that anyone in his staff did they would be fired. And now she want to make a mockery of his wife and community service to people ? No way, send her back to wolf hunt in Alaska.

Posted by: Repubsaredone | September 4, 2008 2:18 AM | Report abuse

People, you know that we need to re-engineer our educational system when people can't even read the handwriting on the wall: McCain made a stupid, reckless, cynical, crap shoot of a decision in picking Gov Palin, who is just as reckless in her decision-making. (See how she carried her 5th baby to term.)

It's over. McCain had already given up the ghost in Iowa (ethanol), New Mexico and Colorado (water rights). Generals always fight the last battle- he made the choice of an extreme right winger to appeal to his base, a base which is much smaller than the democratic base. It was stupid, and it was reckless. And, yes, it was cynical.

It's over. Democrats can get another hobby. Republicans can look forward to Jeb or Mitt in 2012... getting their butt kicked by incumbent Obama.

Posted by: Deep Blue | September 4, 2008 2:18 AM | Report abuse

I guess it would be so not PC to note that Palin's attacks seemed just.... catty, with all the snide, rowwllly little Obama insults (most of which apply equally to her boss, by the way, except Obama doesn't go around vetoeing kid's education and poverty programs).

I was really hoping for more from the second woman ever on a major ticket. More dignity or something, maybe a womanly doing-it-different, finally type of thing. But what we got was a typical snarly attack dog. No indication of her policies, just a good old rip job on the opposition. Shell clearly give Dick Cheney a run for his money. No, really, the parallels are frightening: mean-spiritedness, denies evolution and human influence on global warming, wants to push more atmosphere-choking energy and ignore alternatives, scandals and cover-ups, loves to commune with the wild--and then kill it. The difference between Palin and Cheney?

Lipstick.

But what the heck. FOUR MORE YEARS!

Posted by: yogi11 | September 4, 2008 2:17 AM | Report abuse

Don't even get me started on John McCain's flip-flops, Anon. (Giving up even trying to come up with a pseudonym, eh?) McCain himself flipped on drilling earlier. The Bush tax cuts too. Palin is a flat out liar, she looked the American people in the eye and lied about the Bridge to Nowhere tonight for a second time, and she is going to have to live with that.

Posted by: John M. | September 4, 2008 1:36 AM | Report abuse

I heard, but of course cannot be sure, that Sarah Palin, for the first time in the city's history, ran up debt as Mayor by borrowing to build amongst other projects a sports center. This was promoted on the basis that it was an investment and would return money to the city. So far it has been a drain. The pattern here is similar to Bush's pattern, borrowing rather then paying. It all feels good for a while, but at some point the bill has to be paid.

Posted by: Michael B | September 4, 2008 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Palin is above Obama's pay grade.
It is what it is.

Posted by: pete | September 4, 2008 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 4, 2008 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget the fact that she LIED again about the Bridge to Nowhere. The American people need to know that too. Let them all know on the morning shows.

Posted by: John M. | September 4, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse