Obama Heads to Mississippi

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) waves as he climbs the stairs of his plane at Ronald Reagan National Airport in Arlington, Va., Sept. 26, 2008.(Alex Brandon/Associated Press)

By Shailagh Murray
As he departed Washington for Mississippi, Sen. Barack Obama said he was "optimistic" about a bailout deal, but that he would get out of the way of negotiators and head down for the now-confirmed debate.

"I think that there is real progress being made this morning and last night, and I think it's important that the markets seem to be staying relatively calm at this point," Obama said on his campaign plane. "And at this point, my strong sense is that the best thing that I can do, rather than to inject presidential politics into some delicate negotiations, is to go down to Mississippi and explain to the American people what is going on and my vision for leading the country over the next four years."

He said he probably will be returning to Washington afterward "and hopefully getting a package done."

But another White House meeting is not in order, he added. Referring to yesterday's session, Obama said, "I'm not sure that it was as productive as it could have been. But I think at this point, it's important just to move forward."

By Web Politics Editor  |  September 26, 2008; 12:14 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama , The Debates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Questions Linger Over McCain's Role in Stalled Bailout Talks
Next: Conservative Columnist Turns on Palin

Comments

I already know what we're going to hear from McCain tonight. It's the same line of bullcrap that he's been using for the last two years:

"Surge, Drill, POW....my friends"

*rinse and repeat

This is what I really want to hear from John McBush:

"I apologize."

"I John McCain, apologize to the American people that for the last eight years the very tactics I deride were used by me to lie you into a war that killed your sons and daughters and bankrupted your treasury."

"I John McCain, apologize to the American people that since day one of the George W. Bush administration, questioning our opponent's love of country (Obama) has been the go-to card of liars and cheats and the morally bankrupt partisan hacks like myself."

"I John McCain, apologize to the American people that the patriotism-questioning accusations that now, finally, have forced me to rush, sweaty and indignant, to this microphone has been the sole campaign tactic of myself and my party."

"I John McCain, apologize to the American people for the President... who I probably should admit is a Republican... and whom I have used as a fundraising tool to get elected and whom I've voted with at preposterous levels and whom, though I have always secretly hated, knowing he was a incurious, self-hating, daddy-obsessed, 'taint-of-man, I was willing to prop him up until the very moment when he started to threaten my own hold on this election."

"I John McCain, apologize that my greatest wish has been to eat money and crap gold, which is why I'm only NOW so angry about the unrepentant hate and bile spewed by the man sitting behind the once-hallowed desk at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue."

"And I John McCain, apologize because by making THIS SPEECH/Debate, without acknowledging all the above, I have proven myself to be utterly and completely soulless and a two bit lying thug who above all else craves power for the sake of power and nothing else."

Posted by: DrainYou | September 26, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Since debates have become a required part of the campaign in 19776, there have been 5 elections in which one candidate’s experience was an issue, 1976, 1980, 1988, 1992 and 2000. In each case except 1988, the candidate going in who was perceived as “inexperienced” had his polling edge increase as the public perceived him to be able to hold his own against the “experienced” candidate.
1Obama has a great opportunity to seal the deal, if he doesn’t commit a gaff and avoids Dukakis’ problem of appearing too cool and detached.

Posted by: dcwsano | September 26, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Deeply erratic behavior? Wall Street is near collapse and you and NObama just want to debate. Get a grip, THE DEBATE DOESN'T MATTER! You know who you are voting for reguardless. NObama looked like a dope at the White House meeting. "Lets start from scratch" what a moron.

Posted by: arby1 | September 26, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

And this 2008 Presidential Election Weekly Poll says it all. You Won't Believe These Results!

Also, voice your opinion on the $700,000,000,000 Bailout!

Posted by: votenic | September 26, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

McCain is a two bit thug LIAR!

I guess we also have an answer as to how seriously we should take McCain's claims of having "suspended his campaign." As in not releasing ads. Or pushing spin. No, that's the stuff of campaigning. And we all know that whatever McCain is doing right now, it's certainly not campaigning.

To be fair, though, I suppose you could grant that McCain has in fact suspended his campaign. So what has happened is probably totally unprecedented:

The vacuum created by McCain's absent campaign has actually sucked in campaign commercials from the future, so that we see them now!

Posted by: DrainYou | September 26, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Now you see why it is important to vote

Posted by: MDickey28 | September 26, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

he's back now so everyone pipe down he just had a little difficulty maintaining his election

Posted by: beefeater1 | September 26, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

TARGETING OF AMERICANS BY GOV'T AGENCIES
A ROOT CAUSE OF WALL STREET MELTDOWN?

Once again, Congress is being asked to rush through emergency legislation -- to cede effective control of the economy to the government.

Officials continue to blame lax lending policies on the part of the mortgage industry for spawning this crisis. But were lenders ORDERED to offer "easy credit" to people "targeted" by government agencies?

Is government "targeting" of American citizens a root cause of the mortgage meltdown that spawned the broader financial crisis?

Consider this:

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/targeting-u-s-citizens-govt-agencies-root-cause-wall-street-financial-crisis OR
members.nowpublic.com/scrivener

Posted by: scrivener50 | September 26, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

When we get to a certain age we often need to Pause and think for an extra day or week, any subsequent improvement on this bailout Will be forever recognized as John McCain's contribution to the rescue of our economy....that and the contribution he often makes to his adult diaper, long after the next 8 years have passed. We will hopefully be able to forget the last 8 years and the cotributions this sweet old pink eyed coot has made to create the need for this historical bailout.

Posted by: beefeater1 | September 26, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

John McCaint has suddenly gotten quite concerned about the crisis on Wall Street.

Just more lies....

So much so that he has announced he’s suspending his campaign and rushing back to Washington so he can work with Congress on solving the problem and he wants Obama to do the same which will mean putting off that pesky debate they were supposed to have on Friday.

The situation was so urgent in fact that McCaint called up David Letterman personally to cancel his appearance on his show so he wouldn’t waste any time tackling the problem.

Except that he apparently had time to stick around long enough to film an interview with Katie Couric, to "expalin" the pathetic interview with peeeuuu Palin whereas she fumbles and get confused on such a simple subject....and literally self destructs on CBS.....

So while McCaint was at the West 57th street CBS News Location.....at same point in time he would have been on Letterman.

Needless to say, Dave wasn’t impressed. In fact Dave had some pretty good points to make during the course of the show.

David Letterman was absolutely furious at Senator John McCain for snubbing him and instead making an appearance on a CBS News interview with Katie Couric.

According to Letterman, McCaint personally called him and apologized for bailing out at the last minute.

He said he was suspending his campaign to rush to Washington and help fight America’s biggest economic crisis since the great depression.

Letterman understood the urgency of this issue and said it was ok.

Boy, Was he mad when he knew that McCaint did not actually go to Washington to solve the ‘Crisis’ and fix the ‘Crater’ in the economy?

Letterman stopped his interview with Keith Olbermann midway to show a live TV feed of McCaint getting makeup for his interview with Katie Couric.

Letterman said something is terribly wrong with McCain’s campaign ..and it smells....(peeeuuu Palin anyone)and that he was just playing a political game by saying that he was suspending his campaign.

And when Dave saw McCaint with Couric having makeup applied to his cancer ridden head he yelled out and said: "Hey John, do you need a ride to the airport??????.

He felt this a political gimmick to stop his sliding poll numbers from sliding further. He repeatedly asked the same question - ‘Where is your running mate, Sarah Palin?’.

You do not suspend a campaign a month before elections, you get your second in command to run the show instead.

A total of 10 minutes was used up by Dave Letterman to shred McCain and his publicity stunt into pieces.

View David's Anger @

After the Walter Cronkite moment of 1968 now 40 years later for McCaint on David Letterman......I don’t think McCain will be scheduling a follow-up appearance anytime soon.

Thanks Again Dave.... for showing us the truth..yet again......McCaint can't multi-task.....

Its the end of the peeeuuu Palin bubble and McCaints lies.......

"Thanks but no thanks for more of the lies that bridge America to nowhere......"

Posted by: AlexP1 | September 26, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Go get 'im, Senator Obama. And thank you for not getting in the way. This is a serious, serious crisis and not a photo-op. Just watch your head, 'cause I am sure that McCain will be parachuting in - he's just soooo mavericky!!

Posted by: LABC | September 26, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

The Paulson deal is a matter of Public Record- All changes in it will be as well. By causing us to Pause and think for an extra day or week, any subsequent improvement on this bailout Will be forever recognized as John McCain's contribution to the rescue of our economy....long after the next 8 years have passed.

Posted by: thecannula | September 26, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Erratic John McCain Will Show…For Now

Who knows if he’ll really be at the debate? Who knows if you can trust anything he says?

His deeply erratic behavior is not just unpresidential, it’s a sign of mental incompetence. John McCain needs to seek help.

Under what circumstances could anyone vote for McCain/Palin now?

McCain has lost his mind, and Palin doesn’t seem to have had one (of presidential caliber) to begin with.

Posted by: nahnopenotquite | September 26, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse