Obama Marvels at the 'Crazy' 2008 Campaign

By Perry Bacon Jr.
DETROIT, Mich -- Barack Obama sounded a bit wistful about his long campaign for the presidency at a fundraiser today, telling a crowd of supporters, "You couldn't have written a novel with all the crazy stuff that has happened in this election."

"One of the wonderful things about having such an extraordinary election process is that I've seen all the cycles of ups and downs, twists and turns," he told the roughly 100 donors gathered inside the Detroit Public Library before a rally here.

"It seemed like an eternity, three or four weeks ago, when people were calling me and fussing, 'We're talking about lipstick and pigs, what's happening?' I said my suspicion is that it's going to turn once again," Obama said. "No matter how many times you reshuffle the deck, what you keep on coming up with is the fact that this is a serious time. It requires serious leadership."

The comment seemed an acknowledgment of what the Obama campaign itself does not say: the financial meltdown on Wall Street has likely helped the Democratic nominee.

Many of the donors were Jewish, and Obama ended his brief remarks by wishing the audience a happy Rosh Hashanah, saying one of the things he likes about the Jewish New Year holiday is the opportunity to take stock and ask, "Are we right with each other? And are we right with God?"

Once on stage at a rally of more than 15,000 people here, the Democratic nominee turned back to his theme of the last two weeks: the economic crisis on Wall Street. He continued to blast McCain for his support of deregulation and at the same time claimed credit for several parts of the agreement Congress reached late Saturday, noting he had touted similar ideas.

And he mocked McCain for repeatedly saying that Obama did not "understand" various situations during Friday's debate.

"No, I understand: You want more of the same," Obama said, appearing to address McCain. "A fifth grader could understand it's more of the same."

By Web Politics Editor  |  September 28, 2008; 4:41 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bill Clinton Talks Obama, McCain and Greatness
Next: Palin Tweaks Biden, Looks Forward to Debate

Comments

Now an old man is thinking, Obama of course and Palin.
No fool like an old one.

Posted by: justada56 | September 30, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, this 2007-08 campaign is sure a "crazy" one, especially for Barack Obama who has been enduring it for months and months together. By God, it's certainly been the most protracted presidential campaigning in the history of America! But it has also shown to the world Barack Obama's resilience and toughness and perseverance and, that, he indeed has the right mettle to be the 44th president of the US. ... Soon he will taste the fruits of his endurance and capabilities post 4th Nov - by getting into the White House :)

Posted by: AnjuChandel | September 30, 2008 4:37 AM | Report abuse

come on jonnybullet 'Conservatives because of their suspicion of ones not like them, and were exclusive to many Minority groups & sub groups, also this belief system was the complete opposite of Liberalism witch is inclusive to all peoples,beliefs & cultures. The Nazi & Fascist regimes knew that including God would help them control and manipulate the citizens of their prospective Countries so they allied them selves with the Church' witch????? You need to get out more...

Chris

Posted by: cjwagner | September 29, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

"Memo to Joe Biden: Let Palin Talk"

"Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people
are more than concerned about Palin.

The campaign has held a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as "disastrous." One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, "What are we going to do?" The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is "clueless.""

Posted by: nowanna3 | September 29, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"I was repulsed by Axelrod's (or was it Plouffe?) comment during the week the US market was falling apart: 'It was a very good week for us'.

Posted by: jcmdstep1 | September 29, 2008 12:30 PM | "
------
So did he say something like "I'm so happy our economy is going into the toilet because this makes it great for us"?, because that is what you are implying here.

What you don't seem to understand is that for whatever reasons (and there are numerous starting with McCain being called out by the liberal AND conservative press for LYING) it was a good week for Obama's campaign.

Posted by: JRM2 | September 29, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"Dow falls 700
Blue chips off as much as 700 points at Monday low, Nasdaq off 6%
— stocks sell off as Wall Street begins to throw in towel on bailout"

Posted by: nowanna3 | September 29, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the House bailout vote is failing, does this mean McCain will be resuspending his unsuspended never quite suspended campaign?

Posted by: nowanna3 | September 29, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Should campaigning count as experience when examining the resume of a presidential candidate?

Posted by: Kristen2 | September 29, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I was repulsed by Axelrod's (or was it Plouffe?) comment during the week the US market was falling apart: 'It was a very good week for us'. I'm sure the US economy train wreck is manna from heaven for Obama but what poor taste!

Posted by: jcmdstep1 | September 29, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

WILL THE FANS AND SUPPORTERS OF SARAH PALIN hide beneath a rock after her first debate with Joe Biden? That is my question. I don’t think so, because there isn't a rock big enough for such a historical political mistake in picking Sarah Palin for Vice President running mate.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE: I have nothing against Sarah Palin. and I am sure she is a lovely person. Sunday afternoon barbecue with Sarah Palin cooking moose burgers would be great fun I would suspect. However, I truly believe she is not qualified to be VP and the possibility she could become the President; which is the most pressing concern on my mind. and for others to consider as well.
I think the majority of Americans, including the fine people of KANSAS on voting date will agree with me and vote for Obama and Biden in the end. I am almost certain of this. Do you agree?

Posted by: Kimmo1 | September 29, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

If I were Mr. Obama, I'd be marveling too, because this race should have been a rout, yet he's holding a lead that's far insufficient to overcome the anticipated "Bradley Effect," come November 4th.

Posted by: jmagan | September 29, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Why do Democrats think it unfair that if the discussion turns to the physical security of Americans the republicans are considered to be a little stronger in this area, but they have no problems in reveling in the fact that if Americans are in financial trouble they want to get the credit as being the better party to take care of everyone? These problems have been building for years but what have the democrats done in the past two years + since they took control of the House and Senate to lessen any of these worries? I don't think they have done anything since these worries started arising in even the past year until now when it has become a do or die situation. And during the debate, it appears when asked what they would alter in their presidency because of the financial difficulties, Obama will do nothing but spend as planned while McCain said he will invoke a freeze on spending if need be. However the media proudly announce neither would answer the question showing once again that spin trumps facts. Yes, it has been an interesting and unusual race, unfortunately one in which neither political party has put forth their best candidate. One party is trying to run from an unpopular presidency while the other is using the same mantra of getting elected that same failed president used to attain the Oval Office. I am afraid history might prove that choosing a president is no longer considered as to who is the best qualified for the most important job in the world, but who is the most popular feel good candidate promising dreams that unfortunately never seem to materialize when they get the job. Nothing has changed in Washington over the past 8 years to change the tone or work in a more bipartisan fashion, yet Obama's campaign is an identical copy. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Posted by: justmyvoice | September 29, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm wondering about all the comments by right wing bloggers that compare Obama to Hitler & Mussolini. It seems to Me that there is some rewriting of the facts {History} here, as far as Nazism & Fascism, they are similar but not completely the same. They are though steeped in Militarism, Nationalism and Patriotism with Religion, Class, and Racism intertwined in their belief system. The afore mentioned groups would routinely ally them selves with Social Conservatives because of their suspicion of ones not like them, and were exclusive to many Minority groups & sub groups, also this belief system was the complete opposite of Liberalism witch is inclusive to all peoples,beliefs & cultures. The Nazi & Fascist regimes knew that including God would help them control and manipulate the citizens of their prospective Countries so they allied them selves with the Church. Germany w/ Catholic & Protestant religions and Italy w/ Italian Catholicism, this intertwined w/ Patriotism to whip up a frenzy of Discontent and Intolerance. Thus they were able to control those masses w/ a unified or Monolithic thought process. When I hear the screams of God & Country I shudder because it's easy to fool or manipulate folks that are struggling to feed their Families, them selves or saving their Homes & Jobs . keep education out of reach of this countries under class because Education opens all eyes & destroys all Myths. keep the racial & ethnic groups divided and suspicious of each other. Throw in the talking heads saying the problem of this crisis is Mortgages to certain minority and other groups not from deregulation or lack of oversight. How stupid is that? Of course they say Obama is different than You,look at Rains he is a minority and the former C.E.O. of Freddy Mac he knows Obama. Now you have your Villain, look at what they are doing to us they say, Rise up protect your country from these ones w/ foreign ideas they say, some how they are different, not Americans they are a drag on this great Country. Should the far Right get rid of us the ones that are different. Europe tried it & the early Americans did settling on these shores ,are we the villains? I can see it coming but no one is watching. This is one reason why the Founding Fathers wanted Government & Religion separate because of what happened w/ the Crowned governments in Europe. They became intertwined w/ the Church,& we know how corrupt & suppressive they had become.Watch & see little by little your rights are being siphoned away just enough so as where you might fuss a little at any one thing, but throw in a crisis when many are scared, misdirect attention so you don't see the broader picture, then push an agenda by Fear Mongering that could put this group in charge w/ powers that would be Autocratic. No Habeas Corpus {the right to question government about your arrest} where the people would have no recourse. Where the Executive branch would have all the power like a crown, castrating the Legislative branch {States} of any over site or power to challenge, and the judicial branch {Courts} be coming an appendage of the Executive. Do we want a Crowned Autocratic Fascist government here, well looks like we are headed that way.

Posted by: jonnybullet | September 29, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

As much as I do not like what he will bring to the table, he does seem to have momentum. It will take a lot to have McCain take back this campaign. But I still woke up and Bopped NOBAMA 500 times and passed it one to several friends. At http://www.boppoll.com McCain is still holding up but his number is starting to jump.

McCain/Palin '08

Posted by: acarponzo | September 29, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

For instance, I am not a racist. I would vote for a pro-life African-American like Alan Keyes.

Posted by: JakeD | September 29, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

No. It just means that I don't call anyone names here.

Posted by: JakeD | September 29, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

JakeD: And you think that makes you pure, don't you?

Posted by: nodebris | September 29, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"Debate Watchers Give Obama Edge Over McCain
Obama seen as improving his standing on the economy"

Posted by: nowanna3 | September 29, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Watching the debate the other night was like watching a mis-matched football game. It was as if the NY Giants played Notre Dame, and after going into halftime tied 10-10, the Giants finally turned it on and won 30-13.

But afterwards, all the 'analysts' could talk about was how Notre Dame "won" because they were so surprised they kept it as close as they did for as long as they did....even though a tally of the final score showed them losing.

Same with Obama....no one could objectively watch that debate and conclude the Obama scored more points on policy matters than McCain. Flipping through the channels afterward, I never cease to be amazed at how quickly the journalists and supposed-analysts spin for something to credit to Obama....pronunciation of a word, 'confident appearance', etc, etc.

But one thing no analyst could say in their rush to give Obama a 'victory'.....that he knew more about foreign policy than McCain. Obama was outsmarted and outclassed, and was exposed as knowing little more about actual foreign policy than how to pronounce names.

When ideas matter, Obama can't touch McCain. But to most liberals only style matters, so they pronounce Obama the 'clear winner'. Sure he was.....

Posted by: dbw1 | September 29, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

pelosi
reid
obama
the axis of evil,
hide your money people...
They Want to Save The World,
with your tax dollars!!!

Posted by: USA3 | September 29, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Reading this tibbit,
almost makes me want to
contribute to the obama campaign,
but I get the feeling,
as a working class
white, I will be paying through
the nose come Jan.

Posted by: USA3 | September 29, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

nodebris:

At least I leave the name-calling to others.

Posted by: JakeD | September 29, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

A teacher in Elmira , New York , who is a McCain supporter, asked her 4th grade class, "How many of you are McCain fans?" Not really knowing what a McCain fan is, but wanting to be liked by the teacher, all the kids raised their hands, except for Little Johnny. The teacher asked Little Johnny why he has decided to be different.
Little Johnny said, "Because I'm not a McCain fan." The teacher asked, "Why aren't you a McCain fan?" Johnny said, "Because I'm a Democrat."The teacher asked him why he's a Democrat. Little Johnny answered, "Well, my Mom's a Democrat and my Dad's a Democrat, so I'm a Democrat." Annoyed by this answer, the teacher asked, "If your mom was a moron and your dad was an idiot, what would that make you?" With a big smile, Little Johnny replied, "That would make me a McCain fan."

Posted by: ekitti | September 29, 2008 6:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ekitti | September 29, 2008 6:22 AM | Report abuse

If he wasn't feeling sorry for himself, or asking to be the Martyr, why does he envoke his experience as a POW? Panning for a sympathy vote??
I love people like JakeD, they give Democracy a reason to get pissed off, and do something about it.More than Words, unlike hisself.

Posted by: mullett | September 29, 2008 5:36 AM | Report abuse

"Muslim Children Gassed at Dayton Mosque After "Obsession" DVD Hits Ohio"

"On Friday, September 26, the end of a week in which thousands of copies of Obsession: Radical Islam's War Against the West -- the fear-mongering, anti-Muslim documentary being distributed by the millions in swing states via DVDs inserted in major newspapers and through the U.S. mail -- were distributed by mail in Ohio, a "chemical irritant" was sprayed through a window of the Islamic Society of Greater Dayton, where 300 people were gathered for a Ramadan prayer service. The room that the chemical was sprayed into was the room where babies and children were being kept while their mothers were engaged in prayers."

Posted by: nowanna3 | September 29, 2008 2:03 AM | Report abuse

JakeD wrote: "Notice that "name calling" (or ad hominem personal attacks) is not what I do against anyone here."

No, you prefer inductive formal fallacies, such as the association fallacy, hasty generalization, and the red herring.

Keep washing those hands, Lady MacBeth. Or Pontius?

Posted by: nodebris | September 29, 2008 2:02 AM | Report abuse

It's easy to debunk the lies about Palin (and Obama). The problem Palin has is that you can't debunk the truth about her.

That's why sincere conservatives (obviously excluding yourself) are fleeing her in droves: George Will, David Frum, Rod Dreher, Kathleen Parker, Ross Douthat, David Brooks, Charles Krauthammer . . .

That's why real conservatives are sweating blood about her nomination, leaving only the buffoons and clowns behind to defend her.

Posted by: nodebris | September 29, 2008 1:48 AM | Report abuse

Notice that "name calling" (or ad hominem personal attacks) is not what I do against anyone here. I have been called every name in the book OTOH.

Posted by: JakeD | September 29, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

I wonder -- while in Detroit -- whether he met up with his old comrade and cohort Kwame in prison.

Posted by: info42 | September 29, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't aware that Sen. Obama's real middle name was "debunked" on Snopes.com. That's the only fact I posted. Opinions on any candidate cannot -- by definition -- be false. The actual lies about Gov. Palin, however, are really debunked at http://www.palinrumors.com

Posted by: JakeD | September 29, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

IS THIS THE "OCTOBER SURPRISE"?

This was posted in the headlines section of Democracy Now! on 9/22:

Army Unit to Deploy in October for Domestic Operations

*** Beginning in October, the Army plans to station an active unit inside the United States for the first time to serve as an on-call federal response in times of emergency. The 3rd Infantry Division’s 1st Brigade Combat Team has spent thirty-five of the last sixty months in Iraq, but now the unit is training for domestic operations. The unit will soon be under the day-to-day control of US Army North, the Army service component of Northern Command. The Army Times reports this new mission marks the first time an active unit has been given a dedicated assignment to Northern Command. The paper says the Army unit may be called upon to help with civil unrest and crowd control. The soldiers are learning to use so-called nonlethal weapons designed to subdue unruly or dangerous individuals and crowds.

***
The last sentence appears to be a reference to "directed energy (read: RADIATION) weapons" that are being widely deployed among the military, intelligence, and law enforcement agencies. These weapons emit silent and potentially deadly radiation of various forms, and "targets" of this weaponry may not even know they've been "dosed."

COULD THE FINANCIAL CRISIS BE THE FIRST SHOT IN A WAR ON DEMOCRACY?

AND DID GOV'T "TARGETING" OF AMERICANS HELP CAUSE THE MORTGAGE MELTDOWN?

For more: see http://members.nowpublic.com/scrivener OR members.nowpublic.com/scrivener

Posted by: scrivener50 | September 29, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

JakeD

You remind me of the German propagandists.
You repeat your lies, over and over.

How do you feel about McCain's two instances of treason?
1. as Pow, making propaganda for the enemy.

2. as Senator, creating false propaganda that lead the USA to war against Iraq. He falsely claimed that the IRAQI's did the anthrax attacks.

How do you FEEL about those instances of failure to put America first?

How do you feel about McCain having announced WHILE IN PRISON that he would run for President?

How do you FEEL about Palin's two instances of crimes, using YAHOO to avoid using state required email systems to do state business?

Do you have any sense of that Palin use of Yahoo as a destruction of the law? Calumny. You know that word?

You bore me, you know. Name calling is pretty much all you do, plus you repeat lies that are debunked on Snopes.com

Posted by: ottothewise | September 28, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

McCain Wins Independence Endorsement
By Special to the Sun | September 22, 2008

The New York State Independence Party is venturing into major party presidential politics for the first time to endorse Senator McCain.

The move might seem odd given that the party in 2004 endorsed consumer advocate Ralph Nader, a candidate best known for his left-wing politics. The organization's state chairman, Frank MacKay, said the state party felt that Mr. McCain, a Republican, was not beholden to partisan interests and therefore justified the nod. "It's not that we endorsed a major party candidate, it's that for the first time one of the major parties ran an independent," Mr. MacKay said in an interview yesterday. "He's a maverick and somebody who has driven his party crazy. The special interest groups in his party certainly didn't want him — I'm amazed he got through."

Posted by: thecannula | September 28, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

There is nothing crazy about this campaign.
American people are generous.
Obama took the time to ask for all the handouts.
McCain, on the other hand as Bill Clinton said,
"he keeps trying to come back to service without ever asking people to cut him any slack or feel sorry for him or any of that stuff."

Posted by: peteonline | September 28, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Palin is the darling of the religious right.
Dont they believe in following the law?

Posted by: ottothewise | September 28, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

BHO should be grateful about one thing at least: the MSM is never going to ask him a real question. Not only that, but a fifth grader asked him a question that needs to be answered but the MSM is too crooked to do it:

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | September 28, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Where McCain went wrong was being led by his campaign instead of leading his campaign. His campaign is based on tactics not genuine ideology like Obama.

Karl Rove style politics don't work anymore dispite the fact Hannity exasperates himself trying night after night.

Posted by: Dano111 | September 28, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

You wanna see crazy - What do you think is wrong with the Republican Party - we have some ideas. ................

Posted by: glclark4750 | September 28, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

2 years ago the republicans were say no, Obama just doesn’t have enough experience. 2 years later they are trying the same thing. It only makes him stronger. Fight harder. Fight smarter.

Experience is an all encompassing term with many, many metrics including judgment, knowledge, wisdom, resilience, perception, intuition, creativeness, vision, drive, etc.

Where the GOP went wrong was assuming they thought experience means "how long" you've done something and played that hand way too long. (That isn’t even the formal definition of experience anyway.)

It was a valid point ½ way through the primaries, but not after 22 debates 2 years, 100’s of interviews, etc. That’s why the Palin argument doesn’t hold water. She hasen’t been tested or passes any tests the same way Obama has. Out of the 3 interviews she’s given, 2 leave doubts.

Does a musician who only composed 5 songs in their lifetime have less experience than someone who’s composed 20 songs? Can you prove the musician who only composed 5 songs lacks the same skills and compositional knowledge of the musician who wrote 20 songs?

It’s a fallible argument. I know women who can’t cook for sh*t after 25 of trying.

Posted by: Dano111 | September 28, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

McCain threw one too many hail mary's. The last 2 weeks were fatal.

Posted by: Dano111 | September 28, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I am forever amazed at the infinite stupidity and failure to accept responsibility of the Bush/McCain Republicans. The Republicans completely caused the financial nightmare America is now poisoned with. When your burn trillions of dollars on a pointless war and give whats left to the wealthy in tax cuts, you fail to invest in American businesses, job creation and education, like the Bush/McCain Republicans have most certainly done, this is the obvious result. Republicans are fond of dismissing their exclusive role in this financially disaster by pointing the finger at interest rates and bad loans, while they fight for deregulation same time, but in the end it is all about the fact they have destroyed the incomes and surplus we once had. Obama is the answer, he is exactly what we need to start the recovery process, on the other hand more Republicans and more McCain would mean more of the same disastrous policies of George Bush.

Posted by: Hillary08 | September 28, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes, we certainly do have some challenges as a nation. But the most difficult thing to understand about this presidential campaign is why so many voters seem to think the answer lies with a new president who is in all probability, based upon his past, a left wing radical extremist with racist and anti-American sympathies. It is inconceivable that Barack Obama could have spent his past adult life in such company unless he were in agreement with their radical views. As such, he will not solve this country's current problems, but he will create some new ones.

Posted by: bubba31138 | September 28, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Blondshag - Yes, everybody does deserve to know about Obama and Rezko's relationship, so here is a good article regarding the truth behind the land deal: Factcheck.org: Rezko Reality

Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face, and remember, knowledge is power.

"The Fake Will Fade"

Posted by: PaulMoATX | September 28, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bubba31138 | September 28, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

This Is The VIDEO That FIVE Corrupt Government Officials and Several Former Fannie Mae Officials Don't Want The American People To See:

If you agree, then PLEASE pass it along To All Your Friends. Someone Needs TO Go TO Jail For This !!

Posted by: gdodd414 | September 28, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

"What is "crazy" is how unqualified Barack HUSSEIN Obama is. Posted by: JakeD | September 28, 2008 4:56 PM"

Don't mind JakeD everyone, he been out here for many months with the same trash. Won't make a difference in the end. The K3 is already in the bag for McCain. In fact, if it makes a difference, it will put more votes in Obama's column. So let's not be too hard an Jake, it might be better to let him go on with his silly posts. Maybe next election, he will have grown up and talk about the issues.

Posted by: paulstewart | September 28, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I would be interested to know the number of people at McCain's recent rallies. The number published today for Obama's rally in Detroit was 15,000. At Charlotte, the numbers were reported as 20,000 +. Does McCain bring out these kind of numbers without Palin? And can Palin bring out these kinds of numbers now that people know more about her? The Republicans must REALLY be afraid, as the swift-boating is ramping up.

Posted by: annieb346 | September 28, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I would be interested to know the number of people at McCain's recent rallies. The number published today for Detroit was 15,000. At Charlotte, the numbers were reported as 20,000 +. Does McCain bring out these kind of numbers without Palin? And can Palin bring out these kinds of numbers now that people know more about her? The Republicans must REALLY be afraid, as the swift-boating is ramping up.

Posted by: annieb346 | September 28, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

SOURCES: REZKO, FEDS IN DISCUSSIIONS
by: Suntimes
date: 09/28/2008
THIS ARTICLES IS LOCATED AT:

~~~PLEASE PASS THIS MESSAGE ON~~~~~
~~~PLEASE PASS THIS MESSAGE ON~~~~~

AMERICA DESERVES TO KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN REZKO AND OBAMA.

IN GOD WE TRUST!!!

Posted by: Blondshag | September 28, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Bush, McCain can run. But they cant hide anymore.

What ever congress does to try and fix our stunning economic catastrophe needs to be done very carefully. Congress needs to take their time, and be sure of what they are doing. Whatever is done needs to be sharply focused at helping, and protecting the best interest of the ordinary Americans. In particular the vast American middle class. 700 billion dollars is a lot of the peoples money to spend to bail out a bunch of corrupt Bush loan sharks.

When have you ever known any government plan, or project to only cost what the government said it would. Remember the war in Iraq. Bush and his so-called advisers said it would only cost you about 80 billion dollars. But we now know that the war in Iraq will cost you, and your children, and your grand children over a trillion dollars, and still counting.

So if 80 billion can end up costing you over a trillion dollars. How much could 700 billion end up costing you. Any math wizards out there. I come up with 9 trillion...:-(

My fellow human beings, just as I warned you ahead of this catastrophic economic meltdown, I must now warn you that what is ahead has the potential to be even more catastrophic than what we are going through now. The worlds geopolitical landscape has been booby trapped by the Bush McCain administration and their republican allies in congress. These booby traps are poised to spring at any time.

Fortunately the Worlds Nations have been blessed with many excellent leaders (except the US) who have been careful, wise, strong, and self-restrained in dealing with the provocations, and antagonism's of the Bush, McCain administration.

Barack Obama and the democrats are your best hope now. Tell your family, friends, and everyone you know to support them as best you can, and vote for them like your life, and the lives of your loved ones depends on it. Because it does. You will not survive 4 more years of Bush McCain.

JACK SMITH - WORKING CLASS...

Posted by: JackSmith1 | September 28, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

"A much better bill than the one Frank, Dodd,Pelosi, and Reid declared as "done" on Thursday is now posted on the internet. They "blamed" him for stopping it and now amazingly forget all about it! By getting the House Republicans at the table, the insurance branch of the deal was included, sheltering the American public from risk."

What????

You do realize that AIG and others held insurance on a lot of this stuff? One reason for the current problem was that the private sector does not have the cash, real assets, money -however you want to express that -to come up with anything more than a few tenths of a percent on the doller as this junk started to default.

Paulsen tried to explain this to people, thay cannot apparently grasp that the point.

The inclusion of this "insurance" is piffle.

The only way it could possible work is if the government, on our behalf, can sell back (on a profit basis) nearly all the assets (13 trillion? 35 trillion? 68 trillion? No one knows -which is why they need "price discovery") they "rescue" from these collapsing firms on our behalf sometime in the future when the housing market stabilizes) and then let this "privately supplied insurance" take care of the last few Billion.

Sorry, McCain and the House Mavericks Republicans still look like idiots.

What really happened in the last few hours is that the House Mavericks got their butts scared straight by Paulsen and Warren Buffet.

BUT -now that the House Republican Maverick leaders finally have been shook out of their ideological coma, they are up against it trying to knock some sence into the rest of the Republicans.

Posted by: plaza04433 | September 28, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Obama ain't seen nothing yet. This campaign has much more potential in the coming weeks for even more hilarity.

Posted by: tAsarlai | September 28, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tAsarlai | September 28, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Why is it the Republicans could not first negotiate with each other and come to the table with their proposals without the need for their fearless leader?

Because there is no independent leadership. Because they have a herd mentality. Because they never put Country First; they put politics first, as it relates to their party. None of them are statesment and none of them are worthy of governing the nation.

They need a Time Out to reform themselves and grow some courage and some integrity and some leadership.

Posted by: nana4 | September 28, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Today's Washington Post

"When Sen. John McCain made his way to the Capitol office of House Minority Leader John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) just past noon on Thursday, he intended to "just touch gloves" with House Republican leaders, according to one congressional aide, and get ready for the afternoon bailout summit at the White House.

Instead, Rep. Paul D. Ryan (Wis.), the ranking Republican on the House Budget Committee, was waiting to give him an earful. The $700 billion Wall Street rescue, as laid out by Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson Jr., was never going to fly with House Republicans, Ryan said. The plan had to be fundamentally reworked, relying instead on a new program of mortgage insurance paid not by the taxpayers but by the banking industry.

McCain listened, then, with Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.), he burst into the Senate Republican policy luncheon. Over a Tex-Mex buffet, Sens. Robert F. Bennett (Utah) and Judd Gregg (N.H.) had been explaining the contours of a deal just reached. House Republicans were not buying it. Then McCain spoke.

"I appreciate what you've done here, but I'm not going to sign on to a deal just to sign the deal," McCain told the gathering, according to Graham and confirmed by multiple Senate GOP aides. "Just like Iraq, I'm not afraid to go it alone if I need to."

For a moment, as Graham described it, "you could hear a pin drop. It was just unbelievable." Then pandemonium. By the time the meeting broke up, the agreement touted just hours before -- one that Sen. Lamar Alexander (Tenn.), the No. 3 GOP leader, estimated would be supported by more than 40 Senate Republicans -- was in shambles.

An incendiary mix of presidential politics, delicate dealmaking and market instability played out Thursday in a tableau of high drama, with $700 billion and the U.S. economy possibly in the balance. McCain's presence was only one of the complicating factors. Sen. Barack Obama played his part, with a hectoring performance behind closed doors at the White House. And a brewing House Republican leadership fight helped scramble allegiances in the GOP.

It is unclear whether the day's events will prove to be historically significant or a mere political sideshow. If the administration and lawmakers forge an agreement largely along the lines of the deal they had reached before McCain's arrival Thursday, the tumult will have been a momentary speed bump. If the deal collapses, the recriminations spawned that day will be fierce.

But if a final deal incorporates House Republican principles while leaning most heavily on the accord between the administration, House Democrats and Senate Republicans, all sides will be able to claim some credit -- even if the legislation is not popular with voters.

"If there is a deal with the House involved, it's because of John McCain," Graham, one of the Arizonan's closest friends in the Senate, said yesterday.

In truth, McCain's dramatic announcement Wednesday that he would suspend his campaign and come to Washington for the bailout talks had wide repercussions.

Democrats, eager to reach a deal before McCain could claim credit, hunkered down and made real progress ahead of his arrival. Conservative Republicans in the House reacted as well, according to aides who were part of the talks.

The Republican Study Committee, an enclave of House conservatives, had already begun turning against the Paulson plan. When McCain announced his return, the conservatives feared he would forge an agreement largely along Paulson's lines, with slight alterations and the GOP leadership's blessing. "
*************

A much better bill than the one Frank, Dodd,Pelosi, and Reid declared as "done" on Thursday is now posted on the internet. They "blamed" him for stopping it and now amazingly forget all about it! By getting the House Republicans at the table, the insurance branch of the deal was included, sheltering the American public from risk. McCain got Blunt to the table. Now we all profit by McCain's suspension of his campaaign and visit to Washington DC. On ABC this morning, Stephanopolous asked McCain if he took credit for this breakthrough. He declined. So have the Democrats in congress...WILL YOU?

Posted by: thecannula | September 28, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

You know what's truly crazy?

How unqualified Sarah Palin is.

Conservatives George Will, Kathleen Parker, Rod Dreher, Andrew Sullivan, Ross Douhat, David Frum, and on and on, join Fareed Zakaria and every intellectually honest human being in this assessment of Palin.

McCain first. Country last. And God help us all.

Posted by: nahnopenotquite | September 28, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

John W McCain is the one with the suspicious middle name.

Posted by: frantaylor | September 28, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

jake d wrote:
What is "crazy" is how unqualified Barack HUSSEIN Obama is.
-----------------------------
C'mon all posts like this do is show independents how many racists support McCain. If you had any class you would attack Obama on policy points, not make inane comments about his middle name. What grade are you in? 4th?

Being an empty suit like the man you are supporting, all you can do is character assassination. As McCain is seeing, that will not bring you votes. You already have the racist vote, don't look for any new converts with weak sauce like that.

You make me proud that I am supporting Obama. Keep up the racist work jake.

For a hilarious video of Sarah Palin sounding like last year's Miss South Carolina at the Miss Teen USA pageant, as well as a look at Frank Rich's deconstruction of McCain, and a synopsis of the Rick Davis scandal, visit:

Posted by: scootmandubious | September 28, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

jake d wrote:
What is "crazy" is how unqualified Barack HUSSEIN Obama is.
-----------------------------

You make me proud that I am supporting Obama. Keep up the racist work jake.

Posted by: scootmandubious | September 28, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

John W McCain is the one with the suspicious middle name.

Posted by: frantaylor | September 28, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

"Today's Polls, 9/28

Here's the long and short of it for John McCain: Barack Obama has as large a lead in the election as he's held all year. But there is much less time left on the clock than there was during other Obama periods of strength, such as in February, mid-June or immediately following the Democratic convention. This is a very difficult combination of circumstances for him.
"

Posted by: nowanna3 | September 28, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

JakeD I see the same junk from you everyday in these comments board..."Barack HUSSEIN Obama"

Your biggest beef with Obama is his middle name?

I feel sorry for you.

Posted by: BenDog423 | September 28, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

What is "crazy" is how unqualified Barack HUSSEIN Obama is.

Posted by: JakeD | September 28, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse