Virginians Complain of Obama Lawn Sign Shortage

By Tim Craig
Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign is spending millions of dollars on television ads in Virginia, staffing 43 offices and sending the candidate and his running mate, Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr., to every corner of the state.

But Obama has apparently overlooked one important element of a successful campaign in Virginia: stocking up on those venerable lawn signs.

Across the state, Democratic officials are clamoring to get hold of free Obama yard signs but are being told that none are available or that they have to buy them from the candidate's Web site. It can take weeks to get them delivered.

The frustration of volunteers and Democratic officials over the campaign's inability to provide the signs is nearing a boiling point in some parts of Virginia.

Continue reading at Virginia Politics»

By Web Politics Editor  |  September 24, 2008; 6:43 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama , Battlegrounds
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama: Debate Should Go On
Next: First Lady: Palin Lacks Foreign Policy Experience

Comments

I have to admit it, I am ticked off, I' miffed. I have purchased on two separate occasions, two different quantities of lawn signs for Obama and I got notta. That ain't no way to roll. Park the jet, roll the presses and honor those who paid good hard cash for these signs. Is this a sign of things to come? Eliminate doubt, pass the signs out. Now, please.

Posted by: doxie53 | October 1, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen Obama yard signs in NC. Haven't received Obama buttons I ordered 3 weeks ago. Hello - I made a donation to buy more buttons. Where in the heck are they? Is the champaign hiding the candidate's image? Let the Republicans shield Sarah from public view - very wise I must say. Obama is good looking and smart. Put him out there. I was itching to wear my button when I went shopping in my neo-conservative neighborhood. I could turn some heads.

Posted by: Polly Smyre | September 25, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Obama fans-- make your own Obama signs like some have done in Indiana. It adds a more personal touch.

Obama Fan,

Joe

Posted by: Joe | September 25, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Hey, like what is up with this? I made my donation and sent others as well and we are still waiting while I see McCain/Palin signs and stickers every friggin where. Like you can't find a printer in DC, MD or VA? Tell the campaign to get moving!

Posted by: Jacquie | September 25, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Will McCain show up for the debate? I hope Intrade has a market on whether he will show. I say no. McCain wants to show he is tough, even if he is irrational. No matter what he does, the subject should not change. John McCain may not be able to chew gum and save the economy at the same time. Even so that will be what is expected of him as president. Does John McCain think that he can win on the issues? I think not. If polling shows that missing the debates is a winning issue he will not show up. Otherwise he will.

What the American people will tolerate is disgraceful and McCain is pushing that envelope.

Posted by: T R Yoo | September 24, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I must say I'm stunned by this. I honestly thought this was a joke at first. I'm not trying to troll at all, but having a fair amount of experience in the marketing world, I too have pretty much taken these things to be something of a relic. I can't say that I have seen more than two or three such signs here in Denver this election season. There are none in my neighborhood. I remember them well from decades ago, but these days I would also side with the campaign managers and be far more inclined to spend the money elsewhere.

Do these appeal more to a certain demographic or has it just maintained its appeal in other regions better? I suppose another possible explanation would be covenants and HOA's preventing such thing, but I travel regularly through older areas with no such restrictions.

Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Posted by: Chris | September 24, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

This is a traditional way to predict the election. A shortage is a good "sign" for team Obama.

60 bops per minute at http://www.boppoll.com

McCain should hit 1,000,000 tonight with Team Obama turning up the bop count!!!

Obama '08

Posted by: Count the signs. | September 24, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

There is also a shortage in Raleigh, NC. I heard from a staffer in Orlando, FL that the campaign believes that yard signs are "so 20th century". That may be one person's opinion, or it may actually be the reason there is a shortage. Maybe we are behind the times. I have seen exactly one McCain yard sign here in suburban Raleigh, and one Obama sign (across the street from the McCain sign).

Posted by: gailc | September 24, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

We have had the same problem getting signs here in Denver, CO. They are only just now available at Obama headquarters. I have made a significant monetary donation to the campaign and I am making phone calls in Obama's behalf. Yet I still have to pay $5 per sign and am limited to only two. Many of my neighbors wanted me to get signs for them, but I am unable due to these asinine policies. Wake up Obama! You are shooting yourself in the foot!

Posted by: M R Mason | September 24, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

There's a shortage of Obama/Biden yard signs also in SW Ohio, too. Demand is high, people are starting to make their own.

Posted by: STKnobb | September 24, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Obama, get the printers in high gear!

P.S. I've never seen a McCain bumper sticker or lawn sign....are they using them also?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

This has been a problem in small towns and suburbs throughout the campaign. Obama's high tech staff doesn't realize how important lawn sign and bumper stickers are in these places. Obama is never going to get a majority in small towns and suburbs, he just needs enough votes to go with the high number of votes in urban areas. Lawn signs tell people considering a vote for Obama that they have neighbors who feel the same. In a lot of these areas, local pols feel lawn signs are the best form of campaigning some elections, especially when you have an unknown outsider.

Posted by: bgjd1979 | September 24, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse