The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Election Day

Share Your View of the Election

If you're planning to blog, photograph, record or otherwise take note of next week's election, then your posts can be a part of The Post's election coverage, thanks to a partnership with the socialmedian.com news networking site.

Just browse to this Washington Post page on socialmedian and add your blog, Twitter, Flickr or YouTube RSS to the Election 2008 news network. Whatever you post on Election Day and the day after will appear on washingtonpost.com pages devoted to user views of the election -- and on other sites, including guardian.com, that grab the Election 2008 display widget.

Here's what the widget will look like a The Post:

social_median_widget.jpg

Posted at 9:47 AM ET on Oct 30, 2008  | Category:  Election Day
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: ObamaVision: An Appeal to the Masses | Next: Candidate Reaction: GDP Decline

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Sylvia28 seriously needs tax help. Not knowing her personal situation I have to make some assumptions. I assume she has no mortgage interest or real property tax deductions. I assume she itemizes deductions since her $45,000 in state and local taxes is deductable (30% - where does she live? I would move.) She has 4 personal exemptions for at least $12,000 depending on the phase out. If she thinks that the top tax rate applies to all her taxable income which would be close to 193,000, she is quite wrong. Assuming she is married filiing jointly her actual federal tax liability would be around $43,264 or less than 20% of the gross amount of $250,000. I didn't figure in the alternative minimum tax or possible itemized deduction reduction but the point is made. The government does thank her for overpaying her taxes all these years.

Posted by: chamberlain_s | October 31, 2008 8:04 AM

Double standard for hate: 2 arrested for hanging Obama effigy on Ky. campus.

Double standard? Read more in my blog!

Posted by: dcpsychic | October 30, 2008 10:58 PM

What out and out BS ! You guys should get into the fertilizer business.

"Hey you know How President Obama would handle these important American Employers IF elected?

He'd Raise their Corporate Taxes!

Corporate Taxes Under Bush are too high and employment is suffering.....

Here's where Obama sides with Bush!- He wants to do Bush one better and Raise Them some more in the name of "A Break for the Middle Class"- Yeah, some break UNEMPLOYMENT- He'd rather the "wealthsharers" take care of the unemployed than give a tax cut to big bad business to create and keep jobs here.

John McCain DISAGREES WITH BUSH and Obama-

he wants to cut business taxes to spur the economy- A TRUE BREAK FOR THE MIDDLE CLASS-

What's better- a heavily taxed economy that slows under the weight of taxation OR
A more lightly taxed economy that grows and creates more employed taxpayers?

Posted by: thecannula "

Posted by: dotto | October 30, 2008 4:36 PM

The negative nay-saying right is out in force today. I'm just glad my computer has spell check. With your tax savings maybe you guys can get one for your computer, too. I hope you don't go too crazy when McCain/Palin lose. They will lose, Palin has sealed the deal on that. Don't bother with any of your nonsensical, out of context, rehashes of all the bad guys that are Democratic responses. I won't be reading or posting anymore until after the election. By all means though, go ahead, if you have nothing better to do, it really doesn't make any difference. No one really pays any attention to you. You are just an easy target for people to reply to and about.

Posted by: jgh2 | October 30, 2008 3:42 PM

Marketwatch.com (Today)
Motorola cuts deep
Telecom giant to lay off 3,000 workers with more than two-thirds coming from the mobile-phone unit, report says.
financials
AmEx wields the ax
American Express to cut about 10% of its workforce as the credit card industry continues to suffer huge losses.

********************

He'd Raise their Corporate Taxes!

Corporate Taxes Under Bush are too high and employment is suffering.....

John McCain DISAGREES WITH BUSH and Obama-

A more lightly taxed economy that grows and creates more employed taxpayers?

Posted by: thecannula | October 30, 2008 3:13 PM

Marketwatch.com (Today)
Motorola cuts deep
financials
AmEx wields the ax

********************

He'd Raise their Corporate Taxes!

Corporate Taxes Under Bush are too high and employment is suffering.....

John McCain DISAGREES WITH BUSH and Obama-

A more lightly taxed economy that grows and creates more employed taxpayers?

Posted by: thecannula | October 30, 2008 3:13 PM

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND THINKS THIS FAMILY IS WEALTHY????????? I THINK THIS FAMILY HAS "REDISTRIBUTED" ENOUGH OF IT'S WEALTH...

Posted by: Sylvia28

Don't worry Sylvia, more people are waking up to Redistributive Economics (Socialism for short...From each according to his ability, To each according to his need- K. Marx, father of Socialism)- Which is why we're starting to see a Redisribution of Votes!- National polls 3-7%/ Battleground States 3-6% in today's poll on average- AND if the Khalidi tape comes out or in not coming out continues the conversation of Obama's relationship to a PLO spokesman, Obama can say goodbye to Florida!

Posted by: thecannula | October 30, 2008 2:48 PM

I can't resist another observation. Recent news stories quoted McCain campaign management people complaining that Sarah Palin had "gone off script." Translation - the running mate for the highest office in the land is only supposed to say what she is told to say.

The real story is that there is a script at all which is a confession that the Republican presidential candidates are mere figure heads who are not to be trusted to run their own campaigns.

One must assume that the same power structure would apply to governance if they were elected. If someone other than McCain or Palin are hoping to rule the country, then their names should be on the ballot instead of the puppets they have installed there.

Posted by: robertchoward | October 30, 2008 2:34 PM

I want everyone to see what a "wealthy" family of 4 (Obama's definition of wealthy)really lives on:

Household income: $250,000.00
Taxes: Federal (40%): $100,000.00

Income after Federal taxes: $150,000.00
Taxes: State & City: (30%): $45,000.000

Income after State/City Taxes: $105,000.00
Taxes: Social Security Taxes: $15,000.00
Family Medical Insureance: $6,000.00

YEARLY DISPOSABLE INCOME: $84,000.00

Posted by: Sylvia28 | October 30, 2008 1:40 PM

Posted by: pastor123 | October 30, 2008 11:48 AM

I'm not as upset about Obama becoming President as I am with how far left our country has come. I'm beside myself knowing that people will vote for a man that is a radical, has racist views, absolutely no experience in running a country and be commander in chief of our military, has more radical associations you can shake a stick at and will tax us to death. Once Obama gets in with a majority liberal congress there will be so much damage to our country that it will be impossible to fix. I fear for my kid.

Posted by: velowl | October 30, 2008 11:33 AM

The Obama Campaign's Answer to the Khalidi Relationship-

"Barack has nothing to hide: he has openly described his relationship with Rashid Khalidi: "
“[Khalidi] is not one of my advisors; he’s not one of my foreign policy people. His kids went to the Lab school where my kids go as well. He is a respected scholar, although he vehemently disagrees with a lot of Israel’s policy…To pluck out one person who I know and who I’ve had a conversation with who has very different views than 900 of my friends and then to suggest that somehow that shows that maybe I’m not sufficiently pro-Israel, I think, is a very problematic stand to take…So we gotta be careful about guilt by association.”

DIDN'T WE HEAR THE SAME REPLY TO THE QUESTIONS ABOUT OBAMA AND AYRES?
HIS COLLEGE AGE KIDS ALSO PLAYED WITH OBAMAS(?) AND HE ALSO WAS JUST A GUY OBAMA KNEW FROM THE NEIGHBORHOOD- EXCEPT FOR MANY YEARS TOGETHER AT THE WOODS FUND. IN 2001 WHEN AYRES SAID TO THE NY TIMES THAT "I WISHED I DID MORE" OBAMA WAS NOT 8 YEARS OLD, HE WAS 39. WHEN KHALIDI WAS ADVISING THE PALESTINIANS, OBAMA WAS IN HIS 30'S. WHAT IF WE WERE DISCUSSING A RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN MCCAIN AND DAVID DUKE?
WOULD MCCAIN BE ABLE TO JUSTIFY HIS PRESENCE AT A DINNER WHERE RACIAL SLURS WERE BEING OFFERED IN HONOR OF DUKE AS UNFAIR GUILT BY ASSOCIATION? DID OBAMA GET UP AND LEAVE? CERTAINLY NO SUCH REPORT HAS COME FROM THE LA TIMES, WHICH IS SEQUESTERING THE VIDEO TAPE OF OBAMA-KHALIDI DINNER! NO ONE IS SAYING OBAMA IS A TERRORIST- HE JUST EATS WITH, MEETS WITH, BEFRIENDS, AND LAUGHS AT ISRAEL WITH THEM.

Posted by: thecannula | October 30, 2008 11:07 AM

The Obama Campaign's Answer to the Khalidi Relationship-

DIDN'T WE HEAR THE SAME REPLY TO THE QUESTIONS ABOUT OBAMA AND AYRES?
WOULD MCCAIN BE ABLE TO JUSTIFY HIS PRESENCE AT A DINNER WHERE RACIAL SLURS WERE BEING OFFERED IN HONOR OF DUKE AS UNFAIR GUILT BY ASSOCIATION? DID OBAMA GET UP AND LEAVE? CERTAINLY NO SUCH REPORT HAS COME FROM THE LA TIMES, WHICH IS SEQUESTERING THE VIDEO TAPE OF OBAMA-KHALIDI DINNER! NO ONE IS SAYING OBAMA IS A TERRORIST- HE JUST EATS WITH, MEETS WITH, BEFRIENDS, AT LAUGHS AT ISRAEL WITH THEM.

Posted by: thecannula | October 30, 2008 11:03 AM

The McCain campaign has been run "by the disturbed - for the disturbed." What kind of power base is that?

George Will took the whole sorry affair apart bit by bit in his article today. With friends like McCain and Palin, conservatism needs no enemies.

Posted by: robertchoward | October 30, 2008 10:57 AM

George Will took the whole sorry affair apart bit by bit in his article today. With friends like McCain and Palin, conservatism needs to enemies.

Posted by: robertchoward | October 30, 2008 10:55 AM

I wish some veterans will stop holding signs "Veterans for Obama" at Obama rallies. I am a veteran of two wars and don't support Obama now or ever. So please don't represent me and the majority of veterans that don't share your support for a man who didn't have the guts to serve.

How can any veteran or active military member support someone who dosen't support you?!

Posted by: velowl | October 30, 2008 10:22 AM

"We need to grow our economy by creating jobs, providing tax relief for middle class families, and helping people stay in their homes, and that is exactly what I will do as President."
B. Obama

?????????????

The difference in Obama's Middle Class tax Cut and McCain's is exactly $900...but Obama's comes with increased taxes on 50% of small business income- because it is the successful small businesses that EMPLOY people, and on big business, which is free to move jobs overseas in response. He also has an unprecidented elimination of the cap on Payroll taxes, which Bill Clinton in 1988 called "REGRESSIVE". Even John Kerry in 2004 advocated cutting corporate taxes to improve employment! Obama's tax policies are in line only with Herbert Hoover's, the last president to raise taxes in a Recession.
BUT DON'T BELIEVE ME- LOOK BACK ON CLINTON AND KERRY TO SEE HOW FAR TO THE LEFT YOUR CANDIDATE IS RUNNING! (all for an extra $900)

Posted by: thecannula | October 30, 2008 10:20 AM

B. Obama

?????????????

The difference in Obama's Middle Class tax Cut and McCain's is exactly $900...but Obama's comes with incresed taxes on 50% of small business income- because it is the successful small businesses that EMPLY people, and on big business, which is free to move jobs overseas in response. He also has an unprecidented elimination of the cap on Payroll taxes, which Bil Clinton in 1988 called "REGRESSIVE". Even John Kerry in 2004 advocated cutting corporate taxes to improve employment! Obama's tax policies only are in line with Herbert Hoover's, the last president to raise taxes in a Recession.

Posted by: thecannula | October 30, 2008 10:17 AM

Oh Pahleeeeze. :-(

What? Blogging "Cheerleaders"?

Isn't that Sarah's Job?

Come Election Day, if McMoron is STILL being the Brain-Dead he has been running with(Irregardless of WHATEVER he THINKS!) a wholly incompetent VP, because people like myself could not bring enough pressure to get Mitt Romney on the Ticket instead;

Then I'll be NOT Voting, and Drinking to the Death of the Capitalist Republic of the United States of America!

Said it, and I meant it;

I DEMAND a Candidate who WILL Enforce this Nation's Labor Laws!

Posted by: SAINT---The | October 30, 2008 10:14 AM

Oh Pahleeeeze. :-(

What? Blogging "Cheerleaders"?

Isn't that Sarah's Job?

Said it, and I meant it;

I DEMAND a Candidate who WILL Enforce this Nation's Labor Laws!

Posted by: SAINT---The | October 30, 2008 10:13 AM