Agreeing to Disagree, or Something Like That

By Michael Abramowitz
MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- John McCain keeps flubbing his attack lines.

On Monday, McCain sought to sow doubts about Obama's readiness to be commander in chief by quoting Joe Biden as saying that other countries might try to test Obama in the first part of his administration.

But when he launched the attack in a speech near Kansas City, Mo., he misspoke: "Just last night, Senator Obama guaranteed, he guaranteed, that if Senator Obama is elected, Senator Biden said we will have an international crisis to test America's new president."

McCain made a perhaps more humorous misstatement here today when he tried to bring up Rep. John Murtha's recent description of western Pennsylvania as a "racist" area, a comment for which the Democrat from western Pennsylvania, and an Obama supporter, quickly apologized.

"You may have noticed that Senator Obama's supporters have been saying some pretty nasty things about western Pennsylvania lately," McCain said. "And you know, I couldn't agree with them more."

He quickly moved to recover: "I couldn't disagree with you. I couldn't agree with you more than the fact that western Pennsylvania is the most patriotic, most God-loving, most patriotic part of America."

McCain finally made it abundantly clear what he thinks. "I could not disagree with those critics more," he said. "This is a great part of America. This is the heartland of America. This is where people love their country."

By Post Editor  |  October 21, 2008; 8:49 PM ET
Categories:  John McCain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama's $175,000 Donor?
Next: Obama: McCain Making Up Attacks on Joe the Plumber

Comments

Hey Wiel, Palin is a MORON, just like you.

Posted by: Jeffs2001 | October 23, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

xthat, apparently your familiarity with English grammar "need's" to change as well.

Posted by: bokonon13 | October 22, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Just a few Senior Moments

Posted by: linda_521 | October 22, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

This reminds me of Jimmy Carter first run for the Presidency, and how desperate Democrats, and the news media felt, we needed the World to like us. What did Carter get us? nothing but humiliation, from the world. There was the apologies, the appeasment,that brought on crisis after crisis. Carter's, blame America first policy did not work, Obama's wont either. The WORLD need's to CHANGE, not AMERICA.

Posted by: xthat | October 22, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

ARE THE McCAIN-PALIN CROWD AGITATORS THE SAME STORMTROOPERS WHO DO THIS:

Posted by: scrivener50 | October 21, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

America will be tested, whether the Republicans or Democrats won the election.
the point is, I would rather have cool, "think before you act" Obama and internationally experienced Joe Bidden (Having Collin Powel as adviser would be a big bonus) to the erratic, trigger happy McCain (I will push the red button - no I will not) or the "If Puttin reared his head, we'll nuke them because that is what God want us to do" international experience of Palin.

Posted by: nagamas1 | October 21, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

TRUST I do not trust McSame and Failin.
I do not trust McSame's past or present associates and crony Wall Street lobbyists. I do not trust a man who would commit adultery on a faithful wife. I do not trust a woman who supports breaking the great state of Alaska from the United States.

I must vote for a candidate I can trust.
Therefore, I will vote for Obama/Biden.

God Bless and Save America.

Posted by: quatzecoutl | October 21, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

ltk01 spewed: "God Bless and Save America.

Move out--that'll be a start.

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 21, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA BIDEN 08...!

Posted by: fu_buki | October 21, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

ITK1 You are just weird!

Posted by: jlp2 | October 21, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

TRUST I do not trust Barrack Hussein Obama.
I do not trust Obama's past or present associates and cronies.
I must vote for a candidate I can trust.
Therefore, I will vote for McCain/Palin.

God Bless and Save America.

Posted by: ltk01 | October 21, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Calling Obama a socialist who associates with terrorists is exactly the kind of brainless fear and smear tactic we associate with McCain's campaign He has turned loose every right wing nut in the country to spread hate and fear. No wonder Colin Powell said he has had enough of the extremist Republican garbage.. Colin Powell's endorsement means a great deal at this critical juncture. He is to be commended for putting aside party politics and asking Americans to do the same. He has seen in Obama a leader worthy of his personal support and he has spoken out despite all the rancor he faces from his former colleagues. No one can question Powell's patriotism or his ability to recognize true leadership. He has done the right thing for his country and at this stage of the election, his openly expressed opinions favoring Obama will make a measurable difference at the polls.

Posted by: jeffl240 | October 21, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

If McCain and Palin want to win, they had better stop with the games and join the team. Our elected public servants are no longer listening to us. The bank bailout is not the only issue. The vast majority of American citizens have been against our continued presence in Iraq, against amnesty of illegal aliens, against more H-1B visas, against the continued shipment of our jobs offshore, and against more government growth and spending, but the government continues to support these things with legislation and to grow and spend. Almost half of us believe that 9/11 was an inside job, but no one is calling for an independent investigation. We want to wean ourselves from our dependence on foreign oil, but Congress and the Senate play with renewable tax credits like they are a volleyball. Who they are listening to is not clear, but it can only be surmised from looking at their lists of campaign contributions.

Posted by: websmith1 | October 21, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA BIDEN 08...!!!

NETHERLANDS ANTILES

Posted by: fu_buki | October 21, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

If McCain/Palin win, there will be only ONE crisis and that is McCain/Palin won.

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 21, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Give me a break! Obama being tested in future crisis situations is by far MUCH BETTER than having another "CRISIS MAKING" bozo in office.

Posted by: inewsmaster | October 21, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Wiel. Truly, Sen. Obama's campaign is going down the drain. Very insightful and accurate political commentary.

Posted by: ManUnitdFan | October 21, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

McCain "...This is where people love their country."

There you go again, "John the Divider".

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 21, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

There goes Obama’s campaign down the drain thanks to a 36-year old ultimate Washington insider who cannot keep his mouth shot. By the way, take a look at Gov. Palin’s great interview on My9 TV station:

Posted by: Wiel | October 21, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse