Eagleburger: Palin Not Ready to Be President

By Glenn Kessler
Earlier this week, Sen. John McCain noted that he had been endorsed by a number of former secretaries of state, including Lawrence Eagleburger, who served briefly at the end of President George H.W. Bush's term. But in an interview with NPR's "Talk of Nation" yesterday, Eagleburger could not bring himself to endorse Sarah Palin.

When host Neal Conan asked Eagleburger if he was "entirely comfortable" with the selection of the Alaska governor as the GOP vice presidential candidate and whether she was prepared to be president if McCain died in office, Eagleburger responded candidly, saying she was not qualified but perhaps would be "adequate."

"It is a very good question," he said. He paused, and then added: "I'm being facetious here. Look, I don't think -- of course not."

"I don't think at the moment she is prepared to take over the reins of the presidency,'' he continued. "I can name for you any number of other vice presidents who were not particularly up to it either. So the question, I think, is, can she learn and would she be tough enough under the circumstances if she were asked to become president, heaven forbid that that ever takes place?

"Give her some time in the office and I think the answer would be, she will be" -- Eagleburger paused here, searching for the right word -- "adequate. I can't say that she would be a genius in the job. But I think she would be enough to get us through a four-year -- well, I hope not -- get us through whatever period."

By Web Politics Editor  |  October 31, 2008; 10:23 AM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Sarah Palin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For Obama Aunt, a Quiet South Boston Life
Next: Vacations for Votes? Lindsey Graham Makes an Offer

Comments

"Palin is not ready. About 70 Americans already know that."

Yes, but the other 299,999,930 of us know better.

"That's why I am voting for Obama."

Because the VP needs to be ready, but the President can learn on the job.

Posted by: LaurainFlorida | October 31, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I'll recycle a common theme from the McCain Campaign:

The office of President is not a position that lends itself to on-the-job training.

The role of the VP is to be president at a moments notice.

See: Dick Cheney, 9-11.

How many top government officials and Republican party elite does it take to say that Palin is not qualified to be VP before the party faithful will listen?

Palin is not ready. About 70 Americans already know that.

That's why I am voting for Obama.

Posted by: jelow | October 31, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

parentsagainstpalin@blogspot.com
--parents and guardians against palin unite!
(a non-partisan appeal)

Posted by: againstpalin | October 31, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

What sexist B.S. from the WOPO. Eagleberger did say she May not be ready, but, she could learn...Just like "OTHERS HE COULD THINK OF WHO WEREN'T READY"! Maybe the next Headline should be wopo THINKS PALIN MORE READY TO BE PRESIDENT THEN OBAMA!!!!!

Posted by: ron_moore1 | October 31, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

More sexist babble from the political "elite." Is Gaffe-a-day Joe Biden qualified? Imagine the international incidents when "President Biden" insults foreigh leaders. Sarah could charm them all. And its not like experience saved us from the financial melt-down. Where were all Eagleburger's experts? Well they were collecting "contributions" from the financial industry all the way up to the end. Sarah is an honest politician (imagine that) and will make a great Vice President and if needed a President. Its not like the President has to make any decision alone. He/She gets a staff, a really big staff. And she would get a Vice President of her choice. I seem to recall people questioning the qualifications of some actor from Hollywood. Things worked out OK in 1981, and Sarah would make a great President. The Republican party ought to trade these elites to the Democrats in exchange for real working people named Joe (and Fred and Kate ..) Last time I checked an income chart, the Republicans will pick up maybe 100 to 1 on the likes of Eagleburger.

Posted by: mbc7 | October 31, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Do any of you liberals realize that Obama plans to let the Bush tax cuts expire so your taxes will automatically be higher. Then he says he will apply his big tax cut if you make under $250,000. and then it was $200,000. then last week Biden said it was $150,000. This morning I heard $120,000. What a farce. This so called "Tax Cut" will never materialize. Remember Slick Willie Clinton promised a tax cut in his first administration, It never happened. Don't you remember? I do.

Colorado

Posted by: r_rlindemann | October 31, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Was Eagleburger asked whether Obama was ready to be President? I can't see how he is if she's not.

Posted by: LaurainFlorida | October 31, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Why Couldn't McCain have gotten Sarah into a Support Post, and Mitt Romney, as the Vice President?

His Judgment was left "Wanting"!

JakeD-Too many Conservatives have jumped onto McAmnesty's Ticket, because the RINO actually chose a conservative, and not a Crist/Lieberman/ or Pawlenty RINO like Himself!

But, if the Primaries were occurring Today, Mitt would be the Hands down Winner, and Sarah would be in for a very rude awakening!

Yeah! It IS the Economy Stupids!

Posted by: SAINT---The | October 31, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 31, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

At least she knows the job duties being PRESIDENT of the U.S. Senate.

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 31, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Palin is Adequate? I don't think so.

Posted by: NeilSagan | October 31, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Palin is Adequate? I don't think so.

Posted by: NeilSagan | October 31, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

a genius? like good ole Dick? adequate? man, talk about back-peddlin' and the khalidi thing, you guy's have got to stop digging this dirt up, seriously, we could spent years debating the nuances of both of the candidates past meeting and encounters. it's not going to get you any closer to understanding what these candidates will do once in office. Talk about something with some substance, talk about the policies they've supported, talk about the bills they've worked to get past, talk about the promises they've given. Wright, khalidi, keating, stevens, ayers, these players are on the peripheral, and neither candidate would be where they are (vying for the presidency) if they had taken the advice of these men. So give it up.

Posted by: iforgotit54 | October 31, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iforgotit54 | October 31, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

It's fascinating how a reasonably innocuous slogan can curdle in the face of events, or candidate stupidity. Example A is McCain's "Country First". Now that Palin et al have tried so cynically to turn rural folks against the rest of America, one can easily read "Country First" (in other words, Rural First) as a nasty and divisive negative.

Meanwhile check out a certain hockey mom video on YouTube ... DEVASTATINGLY ON THE MARK!!!

Posted by: rofo | October 31, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Obama Supporters Using Huckabee in new online ad.

Criminal charges may be brought up on Palin for ethics issues? http://www.hotpres.com

Posted by: pastor123 | October 31, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Obama Supporters Using Huckabee in new online ad.

Posted by: pastor123 | October 31, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

LittlePipe(aka thecannula) spewed: "Khalidi"

Open big and wide now...

Fact check: Does group McCain chairs have link to Columbia professor Khalidi?

The Verdict: True. There was a relationship in the 1990s between the IRI, chaired by McCain, and the CPRS, co-founded by Khalidi, which received IRI funding.

Sitting through someone's 1st amemndment right to criticize is a little different than giving them one million dollars

Save our Country and Constitution from thecannula

Vote OBAMA Nov 4

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 31, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Seth Colter Walls
Huffington Post
10-28-08

"...Of course, there's seemingly nothing objectionable with McCain's organization helping a Palestinian group conduct research in the West Bank or Gaza. But it does suggest that McCain could have some of his own explaining to do as he tries to make hay out of Khalidi's ties to Obama."

NO, BUT THERE IS A LOT THAT IS OBJECTIONABLE ABOUT OBAMA SITTING THROUGH TRIBUTE TO KHALIDI, IN WHICH ISRAEL WAS CALLED A TERRORIST STATE AND WAS COMPARED TO BIN LADIN, WITHOUT GETTING UP AND LEAVING!

Posted by: thecannula | October 31, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Eagleburger is the one not ready to be President. Most of us voting for McCain wish she was on the top of the ticket.

Posted by: JakeD | October 31, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Seth Colter Walls
Huffington Post
10-28-08

Posted by: thecannula | October 31, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I doesn't get any scarier than:

"...the question, I think, is, can she learn..."

Save our Country and Constitution

Vote OBAMA Nov 4

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 31, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

The rest of the interview was hilarious. Eagleburger added, "Give her some time in the office and I think the answer would be, she will be [pause] adequate. I can't say that she would be a genius in the job. But I think she would be enough to get us through a four year... well I hope not... get us through whatever period of time was necessary. And I devoutly hope that it would never be tested."

There are four days before the election and McCain hasn't even convinced his own advisors that Palin is ready. Priceless...

Posted by: snorthwood | October 31, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse