Going to Bed Hungry in New Mexico

By Travis Fox
MAGDALENA, N.M. -- New Mexico is among the states with the highest rate of hunger, or food insecurity, in the nation. Much of it is the result of the poverty endemic to the state, but food banks in New Mexico also report an increase this year in the number of working and middle class people needing food aid.

I visited Magdalena, a village 100 miles southwest of Albuquerque. People there and in other rural areas are experiencing a 'perfect storm' of inflation. Not only has the price of food increased, but higher gas prices mean people can't afford to travel to larger towns where food is considerably cheaper. People in Magdalena are used to driving 60 miles roundtrip to Socorro, where there are several supermarkets and cheaper prices, but higher gas prices now offset the savings.

Continue reading at Hard Times»

By Web Politics Editor  |  October 17, 2008; 9:17 AM ET
Categories:  Battlegrounds , Hard Times
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: To Avoid Being 'Depressed,' Palin Skimps on Campaign News
Next: McCain, Letterman Make Amends

Comments

you need to get you head screwed on right. i am a current resident of magdalena and i am considered upper middle class. I have never gone to bed hungry and none of my friends have to gone to bed hungry either. as an exchange student in San Pedro de Atacama in Chile, i know what poor is. maybe, just maybe Mr. Fox, you shoud get your facts straight. or go to a country where people actually do go to sleep with nothing to eat. so what is part of main street isnt paved! not even half of San Pedro is paved!!! and if you have so much to say about my town why dont you dig into that big fat wallet that biased washington post has and help out? do not talk about something if you are just going to sit back and do nothing about it after. and i am going to rant now. you need to stop being the ignorant american and get your facts straight. get out of the states and see what is going on in the real world!

Posted by: MagBoy1 | October 24, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Please everyone,
Stop posting comments and just let this incident fade away like the dirt from our plains during the frequent 40+mile/hr winds here.

Posted by: WildChildinMagdalena | October 23, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Simply amazing!! I grew up in Magalena till I was 17. My parents were born and raised, and still continue to live there. My brother and his family live there. I am acutely familar with the citizens of Magdalena as most are friends of mine. If there are ANY citizens that are hungry it is because they choose to be, either thru laziness and/or poor choices. The vast majority live there because life in Magdalena is far more fulfilling than any metropolitan life could bring. They accept higher milk prices because the overall 'return on their investment' far outweighs anything that a large city life could bring. So when Mr. Fox makes his claims it has an agenda of misinfoming the reader to believe 'the messiah' is the answer rather than what his whole argument is centered around: poverty. Having excess cash and assets is not necessarily rich. the citizens of Magdalena are rich with life and contentness. They have enough necessities to facilitate this contentness....any more and it would contribute to the excess that most of us "think" makes us happy.

Please Mr. Fox, if your going to make claims about anything, at least be forthright and honest. Skewing the facts for your own hidden agenda are blatant lies that only add to the ever-growing corruption that we are witness to in our everyday lives.

Posted by: phast_phood | October 22, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

It's amazing to me that in this day and age we still have reporters like Travis Fox stumping the country in search of poverty in the U.S. If you wish to see hunger go overseas not in our backyard. There are NO people who go to bed hungry because they have no sustenance. I've lived in Socorro County for years and not once did I see anyone begging for food. As for Ann Lear and her dropping 40 lbs. that's a good thing and should've been done years ago if anything for her kids and her health. If 40 lbs. have been lost due to this poverty nonsense then she must have been living high on the hog (pardon the pun) in order to stay not slim. Those who think they live in poverty are those who own cell phones, microwaves, 2 color televisions, 2 vehicles, cable TV, a LAN line, homes, running water, plumbing & power. Those who consider themselves at the bottom rung are the equivalent to the middle class of those living in Europe. Yet, there is a cry of poverty? Give me a break. We are a free people. We live in areas of our choosing. We are a product of our own choices in life whether they be good or bad. Trust me when I say this...when those businesses in Magdalena start having to pay more in taxes under Obama how are these businessmen going to react? They start by maintaining their profits by eliminating business expenses. One of those business expenses is jobs. Yes, I'm quite sure Obama's wealth redistribution scheme is going to put more food on the table. It's beyond me how the person who was laid off will pay for it. Obama has no business talking about economics and for those who think he's their promised Messiah and going to bring about Xanadu are fool hearted. Businesses will react according to his policies and you WILL see the amount of jobs available to citizens diminished. I used to believe that nobody likes a handout. I was wrong. Those who vote for Obama do. Yes, I'm quite sure the wealth redistribution worked well with the CRA of 1977 and the thugs at ACORN. Our current situation is a direct result of wealth redistribution. Yet, the sheep will vote for their shepherd anyhow being completely blinded by a silver tongue and giving no thought to substance but rather to the new "American Idol". Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.

For those with any intellect take a look at a study conducted by the Heritage Foundation with respect to poverty. This puts this whole issue in perspective.

Posted by: Crispy2 | October 22, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I was born and raised in Magdalena New Mexico served 22 months as the Mayor of Magdalena and ran a business for 25 years and I can not recall anyone in Magdalena EVER going without food. If anyone did go without food it was by choose because they did not care to work. For the last three years we kept the help wanted sign on the window looking and hoping to be able to hire people that we willing to work. I was not the only employer who was having a problem getting employees. We also paid above the minimum wage plus had a Profit Sharing Plan for the employees in which we as the owners made all of the contributions. As a business person I understand that Yes our food prices are a little higher than larger communities, but we choose to live in the country and that the price we have to pay. We also do NOT have the crime rate and drug problems as larger communities.
As for your video you failed to show that all of Magdalena streets are paved north to south which by the way includes main street. We also have running water, electric power to all homes, we have trash pickup not once but twice a week most people have phone service, we have EMT's, fire protection,law enforcement and a new senior center. Speaking of your video did you notice that the car the lady was driving showed the gas gage on FULL. I also notice a New coffee make and micro wave oven in her kitchen. Not to bad for not having enough to eat or money for gas. Feeling better now that I vented. Come to Magdalena and I'll show you around our nice little town, but don't plan on buying any land, it has all been sold to people that love our community

Posted by: Evetts | October 21, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

i don't know what kind of reaserch was done here but i belive that a person that was born and raised in this town should have been interviewed. I grew up there and you just trashed a very historic town. Maybe you should have taken video of the art galleries vistor center or any of the real homes and paved streets there.

Posted by: nativenewmexican | October 20, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

With racists like these supporting John McCain anyone who isn't white may go to bed hungry if McCain is elected:

Posted by: Snakeheader | October 17, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse