Obama Asks Supporters to 'Believe'

By Robert Barnes
INDIANAPOLIS -- Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama followed last night's debate with a confident and inspirational speech that asked Americans to "believe in each other" as the country faces a historic challenge to fix the economy.

In front of a crowd his campaign said approached 20,000 in this normally reliably Republican state, Obama criticized his Republican rival John McCain for his tax policies and his reluctance during last night's debate in Nashville to declare health care a "right.''

But those critiques seemed secondary to an unspoken message --"I'm superstitious,'' he said when someone in the crowd predicted his success -- that the electoral tide is turning his way, and help is on the way.

"I realize you're cynical and fed up with politics. I understand that you're disappointed and even angry with your leaders." Obama told the crowd at a wet and muddy Indiana State Fairgrounds. "You have every right to be.

"But despite all of this, I ask of you what's been asked of the American people in times of trial and turmoil throughout our history. I ask you to believe -- believe in yourselves, believe in each other, believe in the future we can build together."

Obama told the crowd to brace for attacks from McCain -- "He and Governor Palin are out there sayin' all kinds of stuff'' -- and cited media reports that quoted unnamed McCain advisers saying it is essential to the campaign to stop debating the economy and raise questions about Obama's character and readiness.

"Well, I've got news for John McCain. This isn't about losing a campaign -- this is about Americans who are losing their jobs. Americans who are losing their homes. Americans who are losing their life savings," Obama said.

"I can take four more weeks of John McCain's attacks, but America can't take four more years of John McCain's Bush policies."

But besides the comparisons with his competitor, Obama used his first recent large rallies as a reprisal of the inspirational themes once a staple of his campaign.

"What this crisis has taught us is that at the end of the day, there is no real separation between Main Street and Wall Street," Obama said. "There is only the road we're traveling on as Americans -- and we will rise or fall on that journey as one nation and one people.''

"Look at this crowd,'' he said, referring to its mixture of ages and colors. "Together we cannot fail. Not now."

By Web Politics Editor  |  October 8, 2008; 4:26 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama , John McCain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For McCain, It's Back to the Ayers Attack
Next: Biden Takes on 'Angry Man' McCain

Comments

Posted by: scrivener50 | October 8, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Real Brother here.

To Jenny and the rest of the Racists, White Supremacists and Black man hating lesbians who are trying to divert votes away from the most qualified candidate for Nader or some other Idiot who hasn't added his voice to the debate and has not been vetted.

Its simply more Racism and White Supremacy to keep Obama from getting elected.

Bottomline he's the BEST man RUNNING and we need to be honest about why Racists and White Supremacists(and Black man hating lesbians) are opposed to him.

TKCAL

Posted by: Realbrother0003 | October 8, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh, so you were being sarcastic in saying I was "right" the first time? Okay, I understand. That' all you needed to say. No fancy desk analogy and ad hominem attack needed. I simply didn't catch that the first time, since the quote you provided showed I was, indeed, right.

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 8, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

So, I was "right" before I was "wrong" (in your "mind" at least)?

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 8, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse
___
Put it like this.

Let's pretend I sat behind a desk and said, "You are silly." Then later that day I got a new desk. Then, sometime after that, you came back to me, whilst I was sitting behind my new desk and said, "Earlier you sat behind that desk and said that I was silly." I could come back and be a real immature twit and say, "No I didn't, it was a different desk," but that would be immature and wrong.

Instead, I'd man up, like you can't, and admit that I called you silly.

Which you are.

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Obama, last night said he would fire the head of AIG, for acting irresponsibly.
Posted by: rauchny | October 8, 2008 5:37 PM |
---
Obviously you weren't listening.
Obama said that the AIG corporate heads that ran up a $440k tab at a luxury resort AFTER being bailed out should be forced to give the money back to the taxpayers and be fired.

Do you agree?

Posted by: JRM2 | October 8, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

"'Perfect storm' could give Dems 'magic 60' in Senate"

"In the face of an economy in crisis and a deeply unpopular president, some analysts believe the situation is ripe to give Democrats a 60-seat filibuster-proof majority in the Senate in November.
Analysts say the November election may give Democrats a filibuster-proof majority.

It's "the perfect storm," said Stuart Rothenberg, editor of the nonpartisan Rothenberg Political Report. "You've got Republican voters angry at Republicans, many Americans just petrified about the future...wanting change. And right now change appears to be coming in the form of Democrats."

Of the 35 Senate seats on the line this year, 23 are held by Republicans. Five Republican senators are retiring: Pete Domenici of New Mexico, Wayne Allard of Colorado, John Warner of Virginia, Larry Craig of Idaho and Chuck Hagel of Nebraska.

Democrats control the Senate. Although it's split evenly with 49 Democrats and 49 Republicans, two independents -- Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Joe Lieberman of Connecticut -- caucus with the Democrats.

Winning a filibuster-proof majority of 60 Senate seats, commonly called the "magic 60," would virtually prevent Republicans from blocking legislation on the Senate floor."

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 8, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

"You are right, MarkInAustin."

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 6:53 PM

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 8, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

So, I was "right" before I was "wrong" (in your "mind" at least)?

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 8, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Grant_X
Are you one of the libs that still hasn't got over that Gore lost in 2000?

Posted by: boots3 | October 8, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse
___
You mean the election that Gore won and got stolen from him.

Yeah, and you should be too, if you are an American with an ounce of patriotism in your body. It was another Liddy maneuver...thwarting the sanctitiy of our elections.

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

When Quayle said, "I have as much experience in the Congress as Jack Kennedy did when he sought the presidency." he was trying to say that he was as qualified as JFK was when he was elected.

Unfortunately for Quayle, Bentsen accurately pointed out that he was "No Jack Kennedy," meaning that JFK didn't just have 12 years orf experience as a representative, he was also JFK!

So, you are wrong about this one MarkinAustin, just like you've been wrong on every other point you've attempted to make.

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Grant_X

How much guilty by assocation do you want Obama buys a house way below Market price and Bernadette Dohrn buys the lot right NEXT door.Again who paid for Obama education. The intelligent people of the country didn't fall off the turnip wagon .

Posted by: boots3 | October 8, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse
___
My point is that it doesn't matter that Obama did any of these things, just like McCain's associations with Liddy and Keating don't matter. What matters is WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO FOR OUR COUNTRY IF THEY ARE ELECTED? McCain and Obama's mutual "guilt by association" records are moot points...notice Palin and McCain have stopped bringing them up. McCain needs to say what he is going to do...now he is using Bill Clinton's mortagage readjustment idea he brought up on Jon Stewart's show two weeks ago. Talk about how that matters because remember, those that wrestle with pigs get up covered in mud...or lipstick if the pig has any on.

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Grant_X
Are you one of the libs that still hasn't got over that Gore lost in 2000?

Posted by: boots3 | October 8, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

So, I was right about Dan Quayle or not then?

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 8, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

The intelligent people of the country didn't fall off the turnip wagon .
___
That's because intelligent people don't ride in turnip wagons.

And MarkinAustin,

Not this time.

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Grant_X

Posted by: boots3 | October 8, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm always right.

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 8, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

You are right MarkinAustin. Here is the actual transcript of the exchange:

Tom Brokaw: Senator Quayle, I don't mean to beat this drum until it has no more sound in it. But to follow up on Brit Hume's question, when you said that it was a hypothetical situation, it is, sir, after all, the reason that we're here tonight, because you are running not just for Vice President — (Applause) — and if you cite the experience that you had in Congress, surely you must have some plan in mind about what you would do if it fell to you to become President of the United States, as it has to so many Vice Presidents just in the last 25 years or so.

Quayle: Let me try to answer the question one more time. I think this is the fourth time that I've had this question.

Brokaw: The third time.

Quayle: Three times that I've had this question — and I will try to answer it again for you, as clearly as I can, because the question you are asking is, "What kind of qualifications does Dan Quayle have to be president," "What kind of qualifications do I have," and "What would I do in this kind of a situation?" And what would I do in this situation? [...] I have far more experience than many others that sought the office of vice president of this country. I have as much experience in the Congress as Jack Kennedy did when he sought the presidency. I will be prepared to deal with the people in the Bush administration, if that unfortunate event would ever occur.

Judy Woodruff: Senator [Bentsen]?

Bentsen: Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy: I knew Jack Kennedy; Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy. (Prolonged shouts and applause.) What has to be done in a situation like that is to call in the —

Woodruff: Please, please, once again you are only taking time away from your own candidate.

Quayle: That was really uncalled for, Senator. (Shouts and applause.)

Bentsen: You are the one that was making the comparison, Senator — and I'm one who knew him well. And frankly I think you are so far apart in the objectives you choose for your country that I did not think the comparison was well-taken.

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Nope, back when Reagan was Governor (and Dan Quayle never said he was JFK either).

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 8, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

MarkInAustin,

Quoting a Democrat. NICE!

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

MarkInAustin,

I never said he was. I said he was using the same rhetoric that Reagan used.

You "served with Ronald Reagan" in World War II making films for the War Dept? You have my gratitude.

Posted by: flyfishchef | October 8, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Grant X is right Obama didn't action he got his college eduction from the likes of Rezko and Ayers
___
You and the other republifools here are really trying to push this "guilt by association thing" a little too hard, especially since McCain has worse associates (G. Gordon Liddy, Charles Keating) that were found guilty of ruining the integrity of our elections (Liddy) and scamming 124 billion from 23,000 of our fellow citizens (Keating).

Look, I like to be critical, in fact my whole job depends on being a skeptic and thinking critically about what I am told/learn, but the stuff that McCain/Palin and people like you aren't the result of good research ro critical inquiry, it is just an attempt to sway the idiots in our country.

It is backfiring. You need to promote the positive...because you've cried wolf WAY too many times now.

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

flyfishchef, I knew Ronald Reagan -- I served with Ronald Reagan -- Barack Obama is no Ronald Reagan.

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 8, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

flyfishchef,

That is an excellent point. It reminds me of a scenario I learned when I worked with kids in the 90's. You can take a group of schoolchildren and tell them that they are all going to get a bowl of vanilla ice cream and guaranteed there are going to be a couple of them that get mad that it's not chocolate.

In other words, some people want to argue with you even when the news you give them is good.

And thanks for the Liddy backing. Some people...I just don't know what to say sometimes. I mean, are they from the same planet?

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: boots3 | October 8, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse
___________________________________________

Gee, where did you get yours?

Posted by: YesweCan1 | October 8, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: boots3 | October 8, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

It's an interesting commentary that the McCain supporters are ridiculing Obama for asking Americans to believe in themselves, believe in their neighbors and believe in America when Ronald Reagan asked Americans to do the EXACT SAME THING in the 1980 elections.

BTW, G. Gordon Liddy was a convicted felon before McCain began associating with him. None of the people Obama has associated with were convicted felons at the time of his association.

ACORN was founded in 1970 in New Orleans when Obama was 9 years old so he must have been quite the accomplished pre-teen to found an organization thousands of miles away from his home in Jakarta, Indonesia where he was living with his mother.

Posted by: flyfishchef | October 8, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

RF13....stick a sock in it....Is America that desperate that they want to support an aging President and a V.P. with a da$m GED for Pete's sake....Affirmative Action is most beneficial to woman (dumb ones as you can see and the handicap) more than it has ever been for minorities. This is why I will make it a point to vote against Affirmative Action because it only benefit the Sarah Pallins (the dumb white women)in this country.....

Posted by: YesweCan1 | October 8, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Is America so depserate to elect its frist black president that it is willing to keep lowering the bar day by day by day in order to make Mr. Obama "qualified." AFFIRMATIVE ACTION DOES NOT APPLY TO THE PRESIDENCY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Posted by: RF13 | October 8, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse
___
You are a racist. Obama never needed nor used Affirmative Action, though it was a necessary evil in our country for decades due to ignorant people like you.

Have a day.

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

To Grant_x
Itwould be much to hang with Gordon Litty than for Obama to hang with William Ayers and Bernadette Dohrn
___
This might be the most ignorant, stupid thing I have read in the last year.

It's Liddy for one, two, he is the one who broke into Watergate...nearly ruining the integrity of our elections in this country, the very backbone of what our democracy depends on.

Wow. Just, wow.

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

AverageAmerican1,

Republican President Richard M. Nixon ended the Vietnam war and Henry Kissenger negotiated the terms of Nixon's Peace With Honor. Nixon was elected on a promise to end the war. The war was ended because the American Public, the electorate, the voters didn't support the war any longer after 16 years and over 52,000 deaths and countless wounded. The Vietnam war was begun by Eisenhower with Operation White Star in Laos that expanded into Vietnam in early 1960, a Republican and ended by Nixon, a Republican.

Posted by: flyfishchef | October 8, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

MarkinAustin,

ScoutieDog was clearly responding to the verbal attacks you people make, like when you started off the comments here by saying, ""Believe!" Sounds like Disneyland to me," or when you told peterdaol, "I'm just worried that too many voters are going to drink Obama's Kool-aid."

Scoutiedog is right. You have nothing positive to say about McCain...you only have hate for Obama.

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

To Grant_x

Posted by: boots3 | October 8, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

ScoutieDog, you mean hate and fear like: "your comment was very pessimistic and unpatriotic....I happen to believe in America.....just not in the rethuglican party" and "WE CURRENTLY HAVE TWO DUMB, SH$T FOR BRAINS CRIMMINALS IN THE WHITE HOUSE AND THEY'VE BEEN THEIR FOR EIGHT YEARS!!!! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THEM TO RIDE OUT OF THE WHITEHOUSE ON THE JACKARSE THAT THEY RODE IN THE WHITE HOUSE ON!!"

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 8, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

This comment is intended for those people that don't have their heads in the ground.

Let start from the beginning in Chicago Obama comes out of college and goes to work Bernadette Dohrn (Chicago Annenberg Challenge) and helps set up the radical organization called ACORN.O.K. now comes the bailout problem and what does the democrats try to put in the bill is when the taxpayer get repaid(if they do) 20% would go to support ACORN.Today ACORN is under investigation in 10 States forvoter fraud. Why isn't the media making the connection.We know Obama CANNOT be trusted
to hold the highest office in the World.

Posted by: boots3 | October 8, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Do I see a trend here? The Pro-Obama/Biden folks discuss facts and the position taken by their candidate. The Pro-Palin/McCain folks spew hate and fear.

Posted by: ScoutieDog | October 8, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RF13 | October 8, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Hitler said similar things to a similar crowd. OBAMA IS the antichrist.

Posted by: Nobama2 | October 8, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse
___
I thought Hitler spoke German.

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Nobama2 wrote: OBAMA IS the antichrist.

If that is really the case then you should vote for him since the arrival of the anti-Christ will bring about the end of days and The Rapture fundamentalist Christians are always praying for.

Posted by: flyfishchef | October 8, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

AverageAmerican1,

McCain has never been in charge of or involved with a war that the US has won.

To help you out a bit, we have been involved with our own Vietnam since 2003. We lost when the pompous a$$ Bush stood in front of the Mission Accomplished banner before the mission ever really began. Since then, we've been fighting a war that cannot be won.

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Hitler said similar things to a similar crowd. OBAMA IS the antichrist.

Posted by: Nobama2 | October 8, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

"Obama broke the law when he bought that house in Chicago together with criminal REZKO.No womder considering his Chicago mob connections.Do we need the criminal in OUR WH?""

Ignorance is bliss, huh? Aren't you forgetting that John McCain's involvement as one of the Keating 5 was FAR more criminal, and FAR more devastating to the American people, than any association with Rezko that Obama has had.

Oh, but wait, John McCain has voted for and continues to support the SAME ECONOMIC IDEAS that brought about the 80s Savings and Loan crisis, the Dot Com bubble burst, and now the Credit Crisis!.

Yeah, that's really a brilliant one to put in office there. And I haven't even started in on his half-wit, corrupted, hate-mongering Vice Presidential pick.

Posted by: MSquared | October 8, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

McCain hangs out with Gordon Liddy, so there.

Pbbbbbbbt!

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Pro36, Is this all you have? That's it? You have nothing to add to the dialogue about why McCain will make America a better nation? You have nothing to write but spurious, thoroughly discredited LIES? You're an embarrassment to the McCain supporters on this site much less yourself.

At least articulate some semblance of an opinion on why McCain is the better candidate. Cite his service to the nation, cite his record in congress, cite his policies and explain why they're better than Obama's. Write something besides the ranting, lunatic garbage you've been spewing.

Better yet, go outside and yell at kids to keep off your lawn.

Posted by: flyfishchef | October 8, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

ingraphicdetail,

I think what you've identified is the same trend the Democrats pushed at the end of the Vietnam War that produced such shame. When a loss of logic and selfish motives are allowed to run amuck they have their way!

Give Obama half a chance and he'll give us a new Vietnam! He has already tried with his refusal to admit our troops victories! We can't allow the national shame of another Vietnam when it is a choice within our decision making capacity!

Vote McCain, a war-time President we CAN believe in!

Posted by: AverageAmerican1 | October 8, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I got it....let's all believe in a Dipstick with Lipstick...now that's change we can ALL believe in....wink....wink....

Posted by: YesweCan1 | October 8, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Jesus was declared an outlaw and sentenced to death.
Paul, the Apostle, was declared an outlaw and put in prison.
Peter took out his knife and cut the ear of a person.
Jesus went into the Temple and kicked over the tables of the money changers (Wall Street).
Jesus was a grave robber. He snatched the body of Lazarus.

Yes, Rev. Wright, Obama, me - we hang out with criminals.

Posted by: theodosia1 | October 8, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Obama, last night said he would fire the head of AIG, for acting irresponsibly. He also said we need a government that was proactive and could look around corners. Well where was he and the rest of congress two years ago when this problem reared it ugly head. Why? did congress FAIL to act, if there is a problem coming and you have power and ability to either stop it completely or atleast minimize its effect. Then you have the responsiblity to act. Knowing that the Democratic majority in congress CHOSE not to act and in doing so FAILED every American and aspect of why they were chosen as a government official. So tell me why I should not see a letter of resignation from every congressman who opposed the measures two years ago. Are they not resposible for thier action or lack thereof and should be held accountible to the Amercian public who put them in office. Are they not there to act in our accord and safe guard our intrests and way of life with our best intrests in mind. Oh wait everyone has forgot that these men and woman are supposed to work for us. FAILURE TO ACT IS IN ITSELF IRRESPONSIBILTY.

Posted by: rauchny | October 8, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

pro36,

Your habit of repeating your comments over and over again have really gotten to me. I'm not going to support Obama anymore. I'm going to support McCain now. Thank you for your help. You win. I lose.

That was sarcasm, in case you didn't get it.

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

What exactly is wrong with a leader who is able to inspire participation from the public? Obama is right that it will take an effort on the household level to control our energy consumption. Our future depends as well on our financial habits and the strength of our families. If his speeches are motivating people to take a greater stake in their own lives and issues effecting their communities, that's a valuable asset in a leader. Government can't mandate change, it has to come from the ground up.

Posted by: caseycheri | October 8, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Palin and her husband's are members of a domestic terrorist group who said "GD America", threatened to remove the star belonging to Alaska off the American flag (how dumb was that sucker...sounds like he needs couch time) troopergate, faulty business relationships, abuse of power, etc...McCain, my Lord should be nominated for Crimminal of the Year award for skirting and snitching on his Charles Keating buddie to keep his coward arse out of jail...after being wined and dined on lavish vacations, recieved substanial amounts of money from lobbying for Charlie and assisting Charlie with scamming the American people...the rethuglicans got that old coward of snitch a get out of jail free pass...he was a coward in Vietnam and he was a coward during the Keating 5 scandal after living high of the hog from it! We don't need those two peasants in OUR white house...we're trying to get those current d$ckheads the heck out of OUR whitehouse!!! Thank God only 1/4 of America is dumb...'cause gosh darn it, we'd be in some re--e-e--e---a-a-all trouble....wink. wink..

Posted by: YesweCan1 | October 8, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Sen. Obama will soon pivot from pinning Sen. McCain to the Bush Administration and start tying his opponent tightly to the Republican Party? I suppose it could backfire to openly ask for a veto-proof Senate, but by attacking the Republican Party, the incumbent party, I think Sen. Obama could do even more for the down-ballot candidates.

Posted by: gromaine3 | October 8, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Yes, we are all angry about the war, the economy, the greedy ceos, the people who who elect as our representatives, the president etc. The paths we've taken in the past have led us to where we are now. Our politicians lie right to our faces, they tell us exactly what we want to hear and we fall for it every time because we do believe in our country and we want to believe that we are doing what is best for it and the world. But, our country's problems effect the entire world and we have to do something about that. We need to stop being the world's policemen, bring our resources home and rebuild America into what it really should be, only then will we be what we can be. We have no right to tell other countries how to live their lives and to push our beliefs on them while we allow the greedy to pillage and rape our economy and the ecomony of the world. We need to rebuild America, together just like we were right after 9/11.

Posted by: rrhein | October 8, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

No we won't! Obama, you make me feel cynical by participating in fraudulent Commission on Presidential Debates (see www.opendebates.org to learn more about these so-called "debates), by turning down public financing, voting for FISA, supporting coal and Nuclear industry, offshore drilling, no to single payer, voting for the Wall Street Bail Out which is Highway Robbery of the American people! You put your Wall Street Advisors and corporate crooks ahead of the American People, and ask us to "believe". Are we stupid? No, thank you. I'm not going to cast a "faith" vote, I'm going to vote for someone who I trust as an advocate for the American people, who has, for years warned about this financial crisis and offered a proposal that would seek justice by, for one thing, having Wall Street bail itself out with taxes on risky, speculative investments, instead of stealing from the already suffering American People. This bailout will place an undo burden on the poorest of Americans, and it's not right. I'm voting for Ralph Nader, who has spent his life as a champion for the American people. Look into it, if you care about this country.

Posted by: jennycat | October 8, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

This jargon sounds like religious speil. I thought only Republicans used religion to influence people. This guy will say anything to anyone to get them to follow. It's spooky how people will follow him, even without any real credentials. He just keeps saying Bush, Bush, Bush... well last time I checked his name wasn't John Bush. I think this country is so upside down, that when a man risks his life for America we actually look down on him. Show some decency and respect people and start investigating your choice for the man that will lead this country for the next four years.

Posted by: ingraphicdetail | October 8, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pro36 | October 8, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I believe a couple of events are about to occur. I believe Obama will be elected president. I believe that this country will believe in Obama enough to give him the seat of the most respected man in America. I believe Obama wants to make change in this coutry. And i belive Obama will try with the best of his abilities to change this country. But, I also believe Obama will not change many things within this nation because, although he has the supporters, he does not have the authority and power to control a nation. And also he will have the weight of being the first minority President, so he will be watched "like a hawk." I believe Obama is the best thing for the moral of my black people and the hopes of this counrty but I'm not looking for a big "change" because I do not believe it will occur.

Posted by: Young_Educated_Black_Male | October 8, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Obama is the muslim communist with the communist agenda for this great country.Do we need the muslim communist in OUR WH?

Posted by: pro36 | October 8, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

The fact that it is taking the Dems 3 times as much money to barely see a lead should sound the alarm that Obama is NoBama!

To all but the blind NoBama is dangerously under qualified as he demonstrated during last night’s debate when he told Pakistan that he intended to invade!

This is the wrong time for his inexperience!

We have too much at stake for such naiveté! I’m sorry that we can’t “continue his dream of America” but reality must take hold! I guess his wife will just have to go back to being ashamed of America!

Everyone realizes that NoBama has no military or foreign relations experience and to objectively look at the world situation, and the dangers we face, and suggest NoBama is the answer, is to put this Country at jeopardy in order to further a selfish agenda.

Furthermore, NoBama is a Democratic party-puppet! He always dose what his party mandates! No bi-partisanship ever! This alone demonstrates he is the wrong choice for the times!

And then there’s the current economic crisis for which NoBama bears significant responsibility…

We need a President who is a PROVEN independent decision-maker, not a party puppet!

Posted by: AverageAmerican1 | October 8, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I like the McCain plan of buying the high mortgage and letting the owner payback only the fair price of the home.

Let me explain that in real numbers...
If I bought a $200,000 home at an inflated price of $300,000, govt will let me off the hook for $100,000, and make me pay only $200,000. Very nice.

So, Mr McCain, what about those people who realized they cannot afford the home and stayed in apartments and smaller homes? Are you saying they are stupid for living within their means? Did the tax that those people paid the government not worth as much as others?

Why not make it easier for all, and have the govt buy everyone their dream homes for free?

Posted by: Dave27 | October 8, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Obama haters,

We don't need you. There's enough of us that do care and believe in this country to fix it and turn it around without your help. Just like the men and women wo didn't beleive in what the US did after the Great Depression and during WWII, you will benefit from our hard work, and then summarily forgotten.

Posted by: Grant_x | October 8, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

If you don't believe how I will be president.
Believe, -if somebody says sun rises in the west.
Believe, I was a member of a church for decades that hates America, but I like America.

Posted by: trueposter | October 8, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

THATS GOOD.BUT OBAMA IS DUMB, SH$T FOR BRAIN CRIMMINAL AND WE DONT NEED HIM IN THE WHITE HOUSE

Posted by: pro36 | October 8, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Let me explain that in real numbers...
If I bought a $200,000 home at an inflated price of $300,000, govt will let me off the hook for $100,000, and pay only $200,000. Very nice.

Posted by: Dave27 | October 8, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pro36 | October 8, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse
___________________________________________

pro36...you are cracking me up...Obama has more (we won't even mention intellectual, heck we'll just say common da$mm sense) in his baby toe on his left foot than that darn tootin dough dough bird Sarah Pallin's total I.Q. and that senile arse McBush! darn tootin....wink...wink...

Posted by: YesweCan1 | October 8, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pro36 | October 8, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pro36 | October 8, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

A new survey by the Kauffman Foundation describes a country that is worried about the impact of the financial turmoil on their lives, but is equally worried about what government might do to fix it. The survey asked, "What poses the greatest threat to your own economic situation?" The runaway winner was "higher taxes," which 50% cited as their first or second biggest worry. "The low value of the dollar abroad" was runner-up, picked first or second by 30% of respondents. The "housing market collapse" clocked in at third, with 25%, the federal budget deficit and debt next at 20%, and "corporate fraud and abuse" at 17%. Perhaps this also explains why Barack Obama is at such pains to conceal his plans to raise taxes. The survey, which was conducted by Luntz, Maslansky Strategic Research between September 26 and 29, also asked in whom they had the most "faith and confidence" when it comes to guiding the economy, a mere 7% picked "the government in Washington." "The American people," with 25%, was the favorite; "the free market system," with 14%, got twice the support of the Beltway class. The public doesn't seem to be aching for a new New Deal.

Translation: GRIDLOCK between the Legislative Branch and the Executive Branch. This probably explains why the polls closed instead of widening in the wake of a two trillion loss in retirement accounts, and the passage of a $700 billion bail-out despite an enraqed
Electorate.

Mr. Obama is in trouble.

Posted by: holman1 | October 8, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"Gallup Daily: Obama’s Lead Over McCain Expands to 11
52% share of the vote is Obama’s highest to date"

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 8, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

What is wrong with America? The problem is it's full of sheep and weak-minded people and ever since those who voted for Bush in 2000 believing anything and everything he told us; and then in total ignorance and falling to 'fake' terror threats and fear tactics they voted for him again in 2004...Unbelievable, and now after reading the blogs and thank God for the most part people show brains, but there are the few slow learners who are falling again for the lies and accusations of the Republican goofs and making 'dumb' statements...Obama will win in 2008 so get over it "my friends."

Posted by: ksmoneal | October 8, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pro36 | October 8, 2008 5:16 PM
___________________________________________

WE ALREADY HAVE TWO DUMB, (YOU KNOW THE REST) COMMUNIST, UNPATRIOTIC JACKARSES IN THE WHITE HOUSE WHO SHOULD BE BROUGHT UP ON TREASON, WAR CRIME, THEFT, DECEPTION, ETC CRIMMINAL CHARGES AND OH, BY THE WAY....THEY CLAIM TO BE CHRISTAINS....BETTER STAY 500 FT BEHIND THEM SO THAT YOU DON'T GET STRUCK BY THAT LIGHTENING BOLT FROM HEAVEN COMMING TO STRIKE THEM IN THE CRACK OF THEIR HYPOCRITICAL BUTTS!!!

Posted by: YesweCan1 | October 8, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I Believe!!!!!!

Posted by: ChangeNow2 | October 8, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

McCain was elected to the House in 1982 and at a time when he was on the board of Singlaub's U.S. Council for World Freedom. McCain was among Republicans on Capitol Hill expressing support for the Contras, a CIA-organized guerrilla force in Central America. In 1984, Congress cut off CIA funds for the Contras.

Months before the cutoff, top Reagan administration officials ramped up the secret White House-directed supply network and put National Security Council aide Oliver North in charge of running it. The goal was to keep the Contras operational until Congress could be persuaded to resume CIA funding. Funding was provided by the Saudis and arms purchased from Iran.

Singlaub's private group became the public cover for the White House operation.

Secretly, Singlaub worked with North in an effort to raise millions of dollars from foreign governments.

McCain has said previously he resigned from the council in 1984 and asked in 1986 to have his name removed from the group's letterhead.

"I didn't know whether (the group's activity) was legal or illegal, but I didn't think I wanted to be associated with them," McCain said in a newspaper interview in 1986.

Singlaub does not recall any McCain resignation in 1984 or May 1986, nor does Joyce Downey, who oversaw the group's day-to-day activities.

"That's a surprise to me," Singlaub said. "This is the first time I've ever heard that. There may have been someone in his office communicating with our office.""I don't ever remember hearing about his resigning, but I really wasn't worried about that part of our activities, a housekeeping thing," Singlaub said.

Posted by: theodosia1 | October 8, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Hope! Change! Now believe! Clearly, a kinder, gentler version of Rev. Wright.

Posted by: wilyhusker | October 8, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

"pro36....Obama broke the law when he bought that house in Chicago together with criminal REZKO.No womder considering his Chicago mob connections.Do we need the criminal in OUR WH?"

Posted by: pro36 | October 8, 2008 5:13 PM
___________________________________________

Posted by: YesweCan1 | October 8, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

======================================

Posted by: pro36 | October 8, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

First CHANGE and now beLIEve?

Where is the CHANGE Obama speaks of?

And now he is switching to asking for blind faith? That's what it takes to believe in Obama, blind faith in the face of mountains of facts to the contrary!

Just look at his record, NO change there!

Some of you people will look facts in the face and see whatever NoBama tells you to, how sad, sheep led to the slaughter…

With NO relevant experience, NO economic plan, and nothing but tired DC rhetoric, what is left for the average American make a judgment on?

I guess we could look at his history of decisions and associations...
Obama's relationships with people such as Ayers the terrorist and Rev. Wright the anti-American, racial hate-speech proponent, tell anyone who cares to see the truth that Obama has horrible judgment! What else would you call the 20+ years Obama sat in that pew saying “AMEM!”?

In fact he has very little judgment of his own at all! He is known for being a Democratic party-puppet only voting how the party directs! Politics as usual, for a new Senator he sure is a D.C. insider already!

On the other hand, John McCain makes decisions for himself! He has never obeyed the party like the mindless drone Obama! McCain is what we need! Experienced in everyway relevant, he has a demonstrated history of bi-partisanship, he is not just a party puppet!

Furthermore, McCain has enough intelligence on the world stage not to stand up in a national debate and tell Pakistan that he intends to invade like Obama did last night!

Obama is the wrong man for anytime, much less a war-time President facing huge economic challenges that will require bi-partisanship to resolve!

Let's not forget Obama's responsibility in our current subprime loan fiasco!

"We can’t change the system with someone who’s never fought the system." Says it all....

Posted by: AverageAmerican1 | October 8, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"Believe"!??

Sorry Obama is PART of the problem, is a politician and is a career lawyer!

So I'm supposed to "Believe"
I "Believe" that Obama has only done 1 major thing since being in congress, raising his own income from 200s to 1.4mil, 900K, and 4 million in last 3 years.

Yeah I'll believe a politician/lawyer when hell freezes over!

Posted by: jabberwolff | October 8, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pro36 | October 8, 2008 5:13 PM
___________________________________________

Posted by: YesweCan1 | October 8, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pro36 | October 8, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Nope, bclark3, I won't be rallying behind "The One."

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 8, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, YesweCan1, but the one thing I agree with Bill Clinton is that Barack Obama is living in Fantasyland. If you want to call both of us "very pessimistic and unpatriotic" because of that, fine. We've already been called "racist" so that's an improvement.

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 8, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

McCain is now a footnote.

1. There would have been a time for such a word.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing. Macbeth - Shakespeare

Posted by: theodosia1 | October 8, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pro36 | October 8, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

From Washington to Lincoln, Roosevelt and Kennedy to Reagan (if you please) - it's amazing how during our country's darkest and most desperate hours the right man has risen to lead us toward a brighter future.

This time around, "that one" is Barack Obama. Let us all rally behind him, work to ensure he gets elected, and have confidence in his ability to put this country back on course.

Posted by: bclark3 | October 8, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Well this certainly gives everyone a chance to choose to decide something about themselves at this very minute. Are you a pessimist, who only can see a future like the past 8 years, war, torture, financial peril, greed corruption, etc. Or are you a optimist who has hope for a better future, given that we open our minds and discard the mental rubbish of the past and learn new ways of dealing with our future. This is choice; the kool aid the pessimists are telling us is no good, or years more of negativity and hoplessness. I like kool aid myself.

Posted by: bflagg | October 8, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I believe McCain is my friend.

My friend.

Posted by: sobugged1 | October 8, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"peterdaol, I'm just worried that too many voters are going to drink Obama's Kool-aid."
___________________________________________

As long as the American voters aren't drinking the p$ss that McCain and Palin are pouring in their glasses, we'll be alright!

Posted by: YesweCan1 | October 8, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

MarkInAustin.....your comment was very pessimistic and unpatriotic....I happen to believe in America.....just not in the rethuglican party...and the McCain/Bush/Cheyney policies that drove this economical and financial bus into the ditch.....I guess that would make one depressed...

Posted by: YesweCan1 | October 8, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 8, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

No, we already know that long ago. You just learn of it today.

You know what else we do know?

We know that leftist radicals never fix the economy. It's the other way around.

Posted by: peterdaol | October 8, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

"Believe!" Sounds like Disneyland to me.

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 8, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse