Obama Barnstorms Fla. as Early Voting Begins

By Robert Barnes
TAMPA -- Barack Obama is barnstorming early-voting Florida this week, trying to turn the state that has vexed Democrats the last two presidential elections back into the fold.

Obama told a crowd at George Steinbrenner Field, where the New York Yankees hold spring training, that the election begins today in the crucial battleground state.

"I know you've heard it before, but I'm going to say it again," Obama said. "You can vote today."

The Obama campaign is newly confident about the Sunshine State, which went for President Bush in the last two elections.

"I think they're going for broke," said the state's Democratic senator, Bill Nelson. "I think they're pulling out all the stops because they know if McCain doesn't win here, there's no scenario for him to win" the presidency.

Nelson said he believes Obama now holds about a 4-point lead in Florida.

"I still think its going to be close but the wind is very much at the back of Obama," Nelson said. He described a "new phenomenon in this election, which will be a much higher turnout of minorities and, get this, -- students at the universities.You're going to see a phenomenon occur this time -- almost 100,000 new students have registered at their universities, not their hometown."

The economy is also in dire straits here, with the second highest number of home mortgage foreclosures in the nation occurring in Florida.

"All across this state, there are families who've done everything right, but who are now facing foreclosure or seeing their home values just plummet because of bad decisions on Wall Street and in Washington,'' said Obama. He repeated his proposal that firms that receive money from the $700-billion bailout plan not be able to foreclose on mortgages for three months.

Obama is organizing a "governor's meeting" for Tuesday in Palm Beach to to talk about job growth.

Obama has enlisted Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson and wife Michelle Obama for three days of rallies in every corner of the state, as Florida voters have the chance to start voting today through Nov. 1.

Obama will campaign with Clinton later today in Orlando and with Michelle Obama tomorrow in Miami. Clinton is also campaigning on his behalf in Fort Lauderdale.

Michelle Obama is visiting the conservative Panhandle, an area usually bypassed by Democratic candidates, with a rally in Pensacola and an event in Jacksonville in North Florida. She'll likely find a friendly audience in Gainesville, home to the University of Florida.

Richardson will campaign in the smaller markets of Immokalee and Kissimmee.

Obama continues the pressure on McCain in Virginia, another formerly reliable Republican state now leaning Democratic, with events Wednesday in Richmond and Leesburg.

Tampa Bay Rays players Fernando Perez and David Price will be introducing Sen. Obama today in Tampa.

By Web Politics Editor  |  October 20, 2008; 3:14 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama , Battlegrounds , Hillary Rodham Clinton , John McCain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Talks Black Voter Turnout
Next: Obama Goes Inside Baseball

Comments

I can see jakeD's stupidity from my house--boy it's big.

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio
==========

That's very funny.

Posted by: zukermand | October 20, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I was 16 in 1964 and we beat the republicans right down to dog catcher.. This feels just like it all over again..love it...

Posted by: tctrustee1 | October 20, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

It astounds me again and again that Republicans think Obama is somehow brainwashing America. It's like the economic crisis is "illusion" or "psychological" as John McCain's Senior Economics advisor Phill Graham so absurdly said as he called us a "Nation of Whiners". All I can say is we'll see who will be whining on November 4th

Posted by: johnnycaffeine | October 20, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to disappoint you JakeD, but McCain-Palin are going down and will be taking the Republican Party (with the great help of GW Bush) with them.

The Republican in-fighting is building, especially after Colin Powell's endorsement. Regardless of whether or not McCain-Palin win in November (I personally expect a landslide win for Obama), the Republican party will be in disarray for at least 4 years, if not more depending upon how world events shake out.

Posted by: AJ2008 | October 20, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

jAKED esq. spewed: 'Regardless of party registration (what was Hinkley Jr.?) I do not want anyone to physically hurt any candidate. That's what I meant by "Hopefully".'

Thaks jAKED. We feel better now.

I can see jakeD's stupidity from my house--boy it's big.

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 20, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I voted in Florida today.

Heavy turnout in Tampa Bay area. I waited an hour to vote against every Republican I could find on the ballot.

:-)

Posted by: toritto | October 20, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Obama has been relentless in seducing America's youth, and controlling the media. What's next? ... teaching our children to turn their parents in to the Gestapo? These tactics have been used before ... and, they're right out of the Nazi and Islamic/madrassa play books. Wake up America ... the price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Posted by: howard521 | October 20, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | October 20, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I've been confronted by Republicans who publicly expressed hopes that Obama would be an assassination target. These people are proving to be really, really sore losers. There have already been Obama supporters attacked for showing up at Palin rallies, so there's cause to be very concerned.

Some Republicans would rather undermine democracy than loas an election.

Posted by: lonquest | October 20, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I misread you, that should have read:
"Never fear, Jake, for all of their bluster, I don't think republicans have reached the point they would become violent. I expect Mrs Obama will be graciously received and enjoy her visit."

Sorry.

Posted by: zukermand | October 20, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I disagree, Jake, for all of their bluster, I don't think republicans have reached the point they would become violent. I expect Mrs Obama will be graciously received and enjoy her visit.

Posted by: zukermand | October 20, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, Michelle Obama stays safe.

Posted by: JakeD | October 20, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse