Obama Spot Raises Palin Questions, with a Wink

By Howard Kurtz
The Ad: TEXT: "I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated."
Wall Street Journal, 11/26/05

"The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should."
Boston Globe Political Intelligence, 12/18/07

"I might have to rely on a vice president that I select" for expertise on economic issues.
GOP Debate, 11/28/07

His choice? [Footage of Sarah Palin]

On November 4th, You Get to Make Yours

Analysis: This Barack Obama ad is a complete departure from a two-month strategy of largely ignoring John McCain's running mate.

By showing the briefest snippet of Sarah Palin winking, the commercial tries to convey that she is too frivolous to be vice president or a potential president -- all without a spoken word from a narrator. In an apparent effort to avoid a backlash over criticizing a female candidate, the ad frames the choice of the rookie Alaska governor entirely as a matter of McCain's judgment.

Since Aug. 29, when the senator from Arizona unveiled Palin as his choice, Obama (and his running mate Joe Biden) has carefully described her as a competent politician in an effort to avoid having the Democratic nominee run against the No. 2 candidate, who happens to be a woman. This ad is surprising because Obama is ahead in the polls in this final week and has no urgent need to make Palin the issue.

But with some polls showing a majority of Americans regard her as unqualified to be vice president, the commercial deftly uses McCain's own words to tie his past admissions of uncertainty on the economy -- the overriding issue in this campaign -- to the choice of the increasingly controversial Palin. She is used as a visual punchline to discredit the man who chose her.

By Web Politics Editor  |  October 29, 2008; 9:12 AM ET
Categories:  Ad Watch , Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: After 148 Years, a Democrat Returns to Harrisonburg
Next: McCain Ad Addresses Obama 'TV Special'

Comments

There is nothing sexist about this ad. It is more than fair to show how unserious and unprofessional she is, and her cheap attempts to use her looks to win favor. Such coquetry is unheard of for any professional woman politician. Palin should not be allowed to get away with it. She makes women look bad. God forbid we all have to start winking and flirting to get a job in this country.

Posted by: Charlene-K | November 3, 2008 5:09 AM | Report abuse

A question for those who consider this a sexist ad:

Would you have considered the ad less sexist if rather than ending with Palin's wink, it had ended with her explanation to Katie Couric about why the bailout of the financial institutions was necessary?

Posted by: kkitao217 | November 1, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Ha! How on earth is this a sexist ad? It's pretty clear that Palin is not an economist, nor does she have the economic background to assist McCain, which is what he he said he needed to fix the economy.

Simply criticizing Palin for her lack of knowledge is fair, not sexist. If she can't stand the heat, maybe it's time to get out of the kitchen. (Oh wait. Is that sexist too?) Funny how all these Palin-defenders were SILENT when Hillary was vilified, sliced and diced in every sexist way imaginable by the GOP since she was First Lady.

Posted by: divalicias1 | October 31, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Obama has displayed his sexism in many ways, and this is another instance. Actions speak louder than words, and the fact that Obama pays his female staffers .83 to his male staffers dollar shows his true colors. Obama landed an army of lawyers in Alaska to visciously tear Palin apart, and his campaign made an uproar over her outfit. As if Obama's and Michelle's outfits don't cost a fortune.

I'm sick of Obama's two-faced back flipping on every issue and every promise. He's like a bad lover, always making promises and saying sorry; never delivering. I'm sick of his "Bros before Hos" thugs polluting the streets and the internets. I'm sick of seeing Obama's egoistic face smeared everywhere.

I'll be voting for McCain/Palin. At least we can see who they are on the face of it. This feminist will vote "Hos before Bros"...count on it.

Posted by: Torch2008 | October 31, 2008 4:12 AM | Report abuse

Did Obama just call her "Sweetie"

Posted by: bamvol | October 30, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Elizabeth:

I know you are probably not happy with this ad, but I don't see it as sexist.

I see where it implies she cannot assist McCain at the level he seemed to want, but I don't see where this has anything to do with her being a woman. Unless you mean that only women wink, or that showing video of Palin is sexist because she looks like a woman.

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 30, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I am/ was a volunteer for Hillary's campaign for a year and half. I traveled for her, answered phone and made phone calls. I know this ad is sexist, and Obama and Biden know it. They should be ashamed of themsleves. I think the Democratic Party faithful are sexist themselves because Hillary would be in Obama's postion if they were not. I do not respect the Democratic Party after they sat on their hands when Hillary was being treated horribly by the mainstream media. At least the Republicans denounced Palin's treatment early on, I respect them for that. The Democrats are divided now and Obama is to blame, you do not trash one group to gain another. We all must respect each other opinions and not call people horrible names just because we disagree with them !

PUMA---Elizabeth

Posted by: danorliz | October 30, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

PUMA---Elizabeth

Posted by: danorliz | October 30, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I am/ was a supporter of Hillary Clinton and Obama/ Biden should be ashamed of this ad. I also volunteered for Hillary's campaign for over a year. All this shows is that they are sexist just like all the other Democratic men that would not support Hillary because of her gender. They all knew she was better for the job and could unite everyone, all Obama as done is divided the Democratic Party. McCain and comapany at least denounced the treatment of Palin in the beginning and I respect that more then the Democratic party sitting on there hands when Hillary was being trashed in the media. Comments by the Party faithful would have been nice. We all need to treat everyone with respect and not call people nasty names just because they believe in something that you might not believe in.

PUMA

Posted by: danorliz | October 30, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

"Simply implies that just because shes Sarah Palin, a woman and she can't handle running our economy!!"
-- Posted by: villageflyerbandit

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 30, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

OMG, this is pure sexism!! Simply implies that just because shes Sarah Palin, a woman and she can't handle running our economy!! I have had enough of this! I am hilaryvillager, a PUMA and a strong supporter of Hillary, made over 1,000 calls for her, canvassed, emailed, blogged and rallied in Count the Votes in DC because I believe in her!!! But now I am supporting McCain and Palin because this Nobama is a scary man and can not be trusted! I am a democrat but I love my country, so I am voting republican to protest this Nobama and the DNC's lies and tactics and for what they did to our democracy!! Enough sexism!! Wake up America!

Maria in NJ
A proud hillary villager

Posted by: villageflyerbandit | October 30, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"Sleepless in Tehran"

"I’ve always been dubious about Barack Obama’s offer to negotiate with Iran — not because I didn’t believe that it was the right strategy, but because I didn’t believe we had enough leverage to succeed. And negotiating in the Middle East without leverage is like playing baseball without a bat.

Well, if Obama does win the presidency, my gut tells me that he’s going to get a chance to negotiate with the Iranians — with a bat in his hand.

Have you seen the reports that Iran’s president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, is suffering from exhaustion? It’s probably because he is not sleeping at night. I know why. Watching oil prices fall from $147 a barrel to $57 is not like counting sheep. It’s the kind of thing that gives an Iranian autocrat bad dreams."

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 30, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

KSMurphy:

How is this sexist?

Is Palin's not wanting to run for the senate in order to take care of her kids sexist?

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 30, 2008 1:13 AM | Report abuse

KSMurphy:

How is this sexist?

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 30, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Wow - I have never seen anything so sexist and dismissive in my life. Obama should be ashamed of himself - this ad is beneath him.

Posted by: KSMurphy | October 30, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I was a Hillary supporter... this add is sexist and rude... I rather vote for McCain and Palin at least thy love America!

Obama is a socialst, marxist radical chicago dirty politian that hates America and hates whites.

Posted by: magalyhuguet

----

You can't be much of a Hillary supporter - after all, Hillary is out there on the stump trying to convince people to vote for Obama. It seems like you'd rather believe what the right-wing whackos have to say about Obama than what Hillary says about him.

Posted by: tsawyer_mv | October 29, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

aimeslee:

I have to agree with you, I do think Palin's winks make her look like the stereotypical dumb brunette/blond. Maybe someone on her staff can explain that one to her.

As for the old comments being misleading, you can easily read the dates.

I guess we can also scratch Obama's 2003 comments re: Kahlidi, those were older than these and after all, things change.

Now this ad is somehow sexist, ageist, and square-ist?

Face it, McCain is older, looks square, and we already covered Palin's winks, these things are not Obama's fault.

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 29, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

So we can drop the whole Ayer's thing since the Weatherman thing happened long ago, and things change.

"First, those are really old comments. The ad wants you to not see the fine print and think McCain said these comments in like, August 2008. Not true. Things change.
Posted by: aimeslee"

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 29, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

As a conservative Democrat who supported Hillary and now supports McCain, I gotta say that on the surface, this ad seems to be merely a mimicry of the McCain ad using Biden's words against Obama.

But the darker, deeper levels underneath do the damage. First, those are really old comments. The ad wants you to not see the fine print and think McCain said these comments in like, August 2008. Not true. Things change. He got educated. FDIC Chairman is using his housing plan. His health care plan is very sound. His non-negotiable points for the bail out came out before Obama's, which was basically a copy of McCain's. The overall view of McCain in this ad still smacks of ageism and "square-ism". Add in Palin and you have an ad that treats her with the same old caricature of a dumb brunette blonde, which she is not.

I, like so so so so many other Hillary women, are voting against Obama. This ad only solidifies our choice. Obama may not women, elderly and squares on his team, but he has to be their president, too, and I do not believe he ever would make that effort.

Posted by: aimeslee | October 29, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Celine56:

What specifically is sexist about this ad other than Palin is in it?

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 29, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Celine56:

What specifically is sexist about this ad other than Palin is in it?

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 29, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

There was a rumor that Palin might run for Sen Steven's seat, but how could she do that and find the time to spend raising her kids.

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 29, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

This is a sexist ad. I was a Hillary supporter and I am tired of this type of ad. This is another reason that I will not vote for Obama!
NOBAMA!

NOBAMA!

Posted by: Celine56 | October 29, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

NOBAMA!

Posted by: Celine56 | October 29, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

NOBAMA!

Posted by: Celine56 | October 29, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Some pit bull, now wonder they don't want direct negotiations with foreign leaders...

"Palin Said She Fired Stambaugh In Part Because He Gave Her “A Very Stern Look.” In describing why she fired Stambaugh, the Frontiersman wrote, “[Palin] added that when they met in private, Stambaugh tried to intimidate her by giving her short, uncommunicative answers and staring at her ‘with a very stern look.’” [Frontiersman, 2/12/97]

Stambaugh Sued for Gender Discrimination After Palin Said She Was Intimidated by His Size.
After Palin fired Irl Stambaugh, the police chief, he sued the city in part based on gender discrimination. The Frontiersman wrote, “The gender discrimination issues stem from statements Palin allegedly made to others that she was intimidated by Stambaugh’s size. He stands over 6-feet tall and weighs more than 200 pounds, which, the lawsuit said, is attributed to his gender.” [Frontiersman, 2/26/97]"

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 29, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Once again Obama shows his true colors. He is weak. He is shallow and he is a sexist elitest who will do and say anything to get elected. This man is unqualified to be president. His own VP has said that he would rather run with John McCain and that Obama was inexperienced. He guarateed that this country would be under attack if Obama was elected. Choose country over party. Vote McCain-Palin.

Puma-SF

Posted by: TALVES | October 29, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Outstanding example of Palin's "good judgement", this and her unethical abuse of power in troopergate are just two in a long line of things that show Palin's judgement.

"AP INVESTIGATION: Sarah Palin's pipeline terms netted 1 viable bid, from firm with inside ties"

"ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) _ Gov. Sarah Palin's signature accomplishment — a contract to build a 1,715-mile pipeline to bring natural gas from Alaska to the Lower 48 — emerged from a flawed bidding process that narrowed the field to a company with ties to her administration, an Associated Press investigation shows.

Beginning at the Republican National Convention in August, the McCain-Palin ticket has touted the pipeline as an example of how it would help America achieve energy independence.

"We're building a nearly $40 billion natural gas pipeline, which is North America's largest and most expensive infrastructure project ever, to flow those sources of energy into hungry markets," Palin said during the Oct. 2 vice presidential debate.

Despite Palin's boast of a smart and fair bidding process, the AP found that her team crafted terms that favored only a few independent pipeline companies and ultimately benefited the winner, TransCanada Corp.

And contrary to the ballyhoo, there's no guarantee the pipeline will ever be built; at a minimum, any project is years away, as TransCanada must first overcome major financial and regulatory hurdles."

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 29, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

The claim that this ad is sexist followed by the statement that Obama is a socialist says that this Republican troll agrees with me that this ad was effective.

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 29, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I think that this is an effective ad because in addition to all the things it says about McCain/Palin there is the image of Biden with Obama at the end. That makes the case.

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 29, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

This ad documents the inadequacy that McCain has and how he ignored it in chosing a VP. What it does not say is that the quality of his advisers are inadequate as well. His chief advser when he talks of economic policy constantly attacks Obama and often says little or nothing about McCain. That is proof that there really is no policy coming from McCain. He does not have the intellectual support to develop one.

Palin is vacuous when it comes to public policy. I do not believe that even after four years of preparing for the presidency that she will ever have a grasp of issues that goes beyond political orthodoxy. She is a political animal and she will last as long as she is not caught for breaking the laws that I am convinced she has already broken and will in the future.

She turns independent women off and if it were not for her sexuality men would be turned off as well. She is out of her league and her wink was a confession that she realized that and because of her ambition she would do anything in order to compete.

Now that public perception is she is out of her league it is safe to say it in public in the way Obama does her.

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 29, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

adfx21:

You need to do some catching up, this was a hoax and the NY Post retracted it.

"1. Michelle Obama (hereinafter MO): spent $500 on Iranian caviar.

Posted by: advancher"

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 29, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

What part of the ad is sexist?

Posted by: nowanna3 |

Nothing at all. Any critique of Sarah Palin that is not favorable is considered a sexist attack by her supporters.

Posted by: CaptObvious | October 29, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

What part of the ad is sexist?

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 29, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

If the puma people(and all those who cry that Gov Palin is being treated unfairly), looked at her responses to basic questions objectivly they would come to the conclusion that the a large majority of Americans have. She is a calculating, political social climber that uses her folksy sexually, not her brain, more often than not, to get what she wants.

Posted by: CaptObvious | October 29, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

to: this dime store chauvenist

1. Palin started her political career at 28. Prior to being CHOSEN as GOVERNOR of one of our most IMPORTANT commodity states, she was lt. governor for 4 years.
While in office: she took her state from a deficit to a surplus. Perhaps, her simplicity and ability to cut through erroneous factors enables her to progress her state and create success. Unfortunately, we can not say the same of Obambi or Biden.

2. You constently cover 150k shopping spree purchased for her. Yet fail to mention: that 1. Michelle Obama (hereinafter MO): spent $500 on Iranian caviar. 2. Obama sent $850k to Odinga in Kenya and Odinga commited genocide: killing thousands of people.

If the worst you have on this lady are winks and make up, then she's pretty good.

I'll take a shopping spree over a murder spree ANYDAY.

Best,

ADFX21

Posted by: advancher | October 29, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Maybe your PUMAs can help get your fellow Republicans united on Palin, sounds like you have plenty of work to do there.

"Palin's future causes GOP rift

(CNN) – Election Day is still days away, but Republicans are already caught up in a heated debate about Sarah Palin's future role in the party should the GOP ticket fail to win the White House.

In one corner are some conservatives who believe the Alaska governor has been a detriment to John McCain's presidential bid and threatens to lead the party astray for the foreseeable future.

Another faction says Palin's core-conservative beliefs, demonstrated political acumen, and compelling frontier biography position her to reshape the face of a party now viewed by many voters as out of touch.

It's a debate,somewhat ugly at times, that is beginning to play out in public view as Republicans brace themselves for the possibility of losing the White House and a significant number of seats in Congress come Election Day. And that may leave the party in shambles with drastically reduced influence in Washington."

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 29, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: magalyhuguet | October 29, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

There's no need for Obama to make any kind of sexist reference to Governor Palin as a V-P choice. Her inability to get out of a paragraph while speaking coherently is already public knowledge. She's in over her depth and all the ad does is point to that fact. McCain obviously did not make the choice here; he sucked out to the Party boys in the backroom... and it blew up in their faces.

The fact that the GOP did so little to check out Palin's abilities as a legislator and as an executive tells me all I need to know about how the Republican Party views me and what I'm worth as a citizen.

Lastly when I view the "Protection against witches" religious ceremony, two words come to mind: NUT JOB.

Posted by: MT_Guy | October 29, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MT_Guy | October 29, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Kipling says it all!

John McCain lacks the two most important traits a President must have!

Good Judgment

Common Sense

I would defy anyone to make a case for him,
his campaign is an embarrassment, his organizing skills are totally flawed, he has been outclassed on every level.

It's over for McCain/Palin

Posted by: kentaylor1 | October 29, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

"I want a woman in the White House. Just not THAT woman. Or THAT one either.
The excuses are wearing thin. All in the name of a candidate whose accomplishments no one can name. Women are beaten, hung in effigy, called despicable names with impunity by people who admit the same treatment would be unacceptable for Obama. This woman is sick of being a second class citizen. Palin may not be Hillary, but she is probably the last chance in my life time to see a meaningful advancement for women.

Posted by: Notyoursweetie | October 29, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Look at 'em, ReUGLYcans, all crawled out and screaming on these blogs, like so many cucarachas running from a can or RAID.

Lovely sight!

Posted by: VMR1 | October 29, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

petuniapolitik:

You have spent too much time in the PUMA echo chambers, get out and about before the world moves completely on without you.

It is scary just how quickly the PUMAs blindly adopted Palin just because of her gender. Palin is no Hillary Clinton.

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 29, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

One more thing, you won't hear this on most of your biased news outlets, or as some of us like to call them, "the cause of the death of journalism", but there are MILLIONS of Hillary supporters who are voting for McCain/Palin. They have the intestinal fortitude, good judgment, and patriotism that our country needs in this time of crisis. DEAL WITH IT!

Posted by: petuniapolitik | October 29, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Well, NO SURPRISE that the UNVETTED, UNQUALIFIED, MEMBER OF THE "NEW PARTY" SOCIALISTS, FRIEND TO WILLIAM AYERS, REV. WRIGHT, LOUIS FARRAKHAN, RASHID KHALIDI, AUCHI, PRITZKER, ON AND ON AND ON.....THE CANDIDATE WHO IS ACCEPTING FOREIGN (ARAB)MONIES FOR HIS CAMPAIGN *ILLEGAL*, WHOSE *OWN* VP CANDIDATE PRONOUNCED HIM, "NOT READY TO LEAD", HAS THE UNMITIGATED GALL TO ONCE AGAIN BASH GOV. SARAH PALIN. MIGHT I REMIND YOU ALL, THAT SHE HAS MORE EXPERIENCE AND "ON THE JOB TRAINING" THAN MR. OBAMA DOES AND HE IS RUNNING FOR LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD. IF HE ACTUALLY GOT ELECTED AND SERVED ONE TERM, THAT WOULD BE THE LONGEST PERIOD OF TIME HE HAS EVER HELD ONE JOB!!!!!! What is his experience? What has he done? In the Senate, nothing. In the IL state legislature, nothing but approve infanticide. As a community organizer?Well, look at the Chicago crime rate..there's your answer. I am a Sen. Hillary Clinton supporter, first and foremost, and proud PUMA/JUSTSAYNODEAL member. We WILL NOT TOLERATE this sexist drivel anymore! YOU CAN SHOW GOV. PALIN WINKING, BUT WHILE YOU'RE AT IT, TELL THE PPL HOW SHE BALANCED ALASKA'S FISCAL ECONOMY AND PENALIZED THE BIG OIL CO'S IN ALASKA, REWARDING THE PEOPLE OF ALASKA WITH BIG, FAT CHECKS IN THE MAIL! What does the messiah know about the economy? What does Biden know? N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Biden was picked for foreign policy cred, HAH! He has been wrong on almost every major crisis we have had! Obama? You're smear campaign is borne out of fear because you KNOW that Gov. Palin is a threat to your coronation. Well, here's news for you, oh brethren of Odinga, "WE'VE COME A LONG WAY BABY, AND YOU WON'T BE THE ONE TO STOP US."
KEEP THE "CHANGE" ON YOUR WAY BACK TO HYDE PARK.
amy goldman
PUMA/JUSTSAYNODEAL

Posted by: petuniapolitik | October 29, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

This proves one thing to me. How very threatened they feel over the McCain/Palin ticket to have to stoop so low as to once again discredit a lady!
No one wants Palin in office they are all scared to death of her And McCain they KNOW they will follow through with what they promise one stong point being that they will have to be on a budget and yeah that scares them to death! It also scares them to know that their pure nonsence pork barrel projects will be stopped he WILL freeze all that is needed you CAN trust him & Palin to keep their word unline Barack Obama a man that chnages his views and campaign State to State. If he had put Hillary on as VP he would have won. The corrupt DNC screwed their own party over and the end result will be the McCain winning this election from the 18 + votes he lost as the DNC were in it only for the win and to protect the win and thought Barack would bring more votes in from the blacks and hispanics.

Posted by: myebuzzdotcom | October 29, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Do you think that Obama is a socialist?
watch funny videos http://www.frizle.com

Posted by: roverfind | October 29, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"If you want Socialism ... vote for Obama.."

---

With pleasure! The opportunity's been too long in coming.

(I immigrated to the wrong country)

Posted by: VMR1 | October 29, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

If you want Socialism ... vote for Obama...looks like most on here want a hand out not a hand up.

Posted by: prowlland | October 29, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin will always get my vote over any socialist Chicago thug, whether she winks or not.

Posted by: VirginiaPuma | October 29, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I was a Hillary supporter... this add is sexist and rude... shame on you AGAIN obama !!!

Posted by: prowlland | October 29, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: prowlland | October 29, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: prowlland | October 29, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Excellent...it's about time the Obama campaign held McCain responsible for the Palin choice compared to McCain's rhetoric over the last 12 months!

Posted by: AJ2008 | October 29, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

LOL! :-D

Oh BTW Hillary11;

Thanks for begging this question:

"What are the white supremacists here going to do in a few years when their race is in the minority?"!

See, I am currently in deep South Texas, in a beautiful place developed by Anglos, that is being overrun by Hispanics.
They, get Minority Status, even though they are the vast majority!

Something REALLY Rotten about that!

Their favorite game?

Speak Mexican 'round Gringos!

Gringos try to join in...

"Doooon't do thaaaat! It hurts my eeaars!"

La Raza is alive and well in the Rio Grande valley! Reconquista is going to lead to capitulation, or WAR!

History will remember the WASPs as being a suicidal Race! Giving all Non-WASPs(But Irish Catholics) special treatment in some wrong-headed guilt trip, and the wholesale slaughter of their offspring in Abortions!

The future Generations will say: "Man! They must have really HATED the sights of themselves"!

Posted by: SAINT---The | October 29, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Hillary11-Nice try!

Sorry, but you cannot shoot the messenger!

I go to an all inclusive Church.
I do not expect any special treatment for myself, because i do not consider myself unable to hold my own.

Barack is the one who grew up in Cosmo Hawai'i, only to then retrogress to becoming a member of a "Black" Church, that Promotes black issues, with a Wife involved in a Black Dance Group, and a History of donating to Black Charities!

Wake-up call!

In Hawai'i, where I also attended what is now Hawaii Pacific University at the same time as Sarah Palin, "Barry" is known as a Happa Haole!

The Jib? Half-WHITE!

Posted by: SAINT---The | October 29, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

seemstome is right -- Kipling's "If" is quite apt for Obama's strength. Kind of ironic that one of the lines that doesn't fit works so well for McCain and his pick of Palin:

If you can make a heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch and toss...

Posted by: DIS2 | October 29, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Palin represents all that is wrong with the Republican Party and with America. She is inadvertently highlighting the foolish coalition of fiscal conservatives with the radical religious right. ..................

Posted by: glclark4750 | October 29, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

"Our Country is now heading straight to Socialism(With Preference on Blacks) Hell!"

Yeah, the Rev. Wright is the racist one here, for sure.

*rolls eyes*

Anybody? Buellar?

Posted by: hillary11 | October 29, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Count me in toritto, USN '85-'91.

"sonnychiba: Except for me and thousands like me:

Toritto; SSG E-6; 11/18/63 - 11/17/67
U. S. Army

Posted by: toritto"

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 29, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

So True!

Hate to say it, but McCain has proven himself to be an Idiot!

Fortunately, any support he has ever gotten out of me, has always been in default from O'Bomba-Nation.

BUT, Now, the senile RINO seems to be doing almost everything he can, to get "Barry" into a Position he should NEVER have been allowed to even run for!

Thanks to McCain's SNUBBING of the very Business and Economics Wise Mitt Romney;

Hate to say it, but Obasama is more likely to stop the Invasora than McCain, because he cannot let his "People" get mowed under by the ambitious Illegales!

Seems the "Brothers" are not as Familial as the Hermanos of La Familia!

I will always Damn this Election for NOT allowing me a Candidate that would have actually told the Truth when Swearing to UPHOLD THE LAWS OF THIS NATION!

Four Pinnochios are waiting for either of these two Liars when one gets sworn in!

Posted by: SAINT---The | October 29, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

sonnychiba72 spewed: "The Third Movement"

"The Third Reich Movement" more like.

You are so "Right-Wing" that if you were anymore right you'd traverse into another dimension.

------------

McCain and the "VICTORY" shame game

McCain and the Republicans bring dishonor to our troops by applying the "Victory/Defeat" label to Iraq.

Our troops have followed their orders and have served with honor and dignity in Iraq. To add this polarizing label is to add the burden of shame to the backs of troops that already have suffered enough. As a Vietnam vet, McCain should know what the vets of that era went through when they came home and were labeled losers.

General Patraeus himself said he'd "Never Declare Victory" in this interview on 9/11/08 of all days!

McCain is wrong and just doesn't get it-- he should be ashamed.

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 29, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

sonnychiba: Except for me and thousands like me:

Toritto; SSG E-6; 11/18/63 - 11/17/67
U. S. Army

Posted by: toritto | October 29, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Thirty years ago when my colleagues in the health care industry were fretting about losing their autonomy to "socialized medicine" and bureaucracy from the left, I told them that problem would come from the right wing corporate bureaucracy.

It has.

If you're falling for McCain's red scare tactics he has you right where he wants you. (In the cross hairs.)

Posted by: rooster54 | October 29, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

The Third Movement. We are neither Democrat or Republican. We are The Third Movement.
The liberal media can push Obama down the throats of Americans all they want but it doesn't mean all are buying their product. We aren't buying it.

The many patriotic members of our proud US Military and their family members have been forgotten in this election but we have not forgotten Obama. We know that Obama has already sold us out and he will sell us out again in the future. Our voice cannot be counted in the polls but our vote will be counted on November 4th.

We have bled, we have died on the battle fields of Iraq, in Afghanistan and in other places around the world in this Century alone. Obama wants us to lay our arms down and give up what thousands of us have died for but it won't happen.

Obama, Pelosi, and Reid will try to make the defending of our Constituition of none effect by changing it to suit their Party agenda.

From Bunker Hill to the Alamo, from Gettysburg to San Juan, from Somme to Iwo Jima, from the Inchon Peninsula to the Mekong Delta, from Lebanon to Kuwait, from Baghdag to Kabul, WE have defended America and our Constitution. On November 4th, we will continue to defend it. Many of us have already voted from abroad.

From Pearl Harbor to Bremerton, from San Diego to Lackland, from Barksdale to Jacksonville, from Norfolk to Camp Lejuene, from Quntico to Newport, from New London to Great Lakes, from Fort Riley to Presidio, we will not stand down but we stand shoulder to shoulder in this election.

We have voted for or we will vote John McCain for the preservation of the United States of America.

Posted by: sonnychiba72 | October 29, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Check out this video of Racist McCain Supporters in PA, taken two days ago:

Posted by: Snakeheader | October 29, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

McBrilliant!

Sarah Palin is the true Paris Hilton of politicians. She’s famous for being famous. Especially among conservatives. But the inside-the-beltway hysteria of GOP coastal elites and wealthy Christian Conservatives - as expressed by the staffs of the Weekly Standard, National Review, and Fox News (in New York!), among others - is a soirée in a samovar.

The rest of America knows she is unserious, unqaulified, and ignorant.

Posted by: nahnopenotquite | October 29, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

In the United States, wealth is highly concentrated in a relatively few hands. As of 2001, the top 1% of households (the upper class) owned 33.4% of all privately held wealth, and the next 19% (the managerial, professional, and small business stratum) had 51%, which means that just 20% of the people owned a remarkable 84%, leaving only 16% of the wealth for the bottom 80% (wage and salary workers). In terms of financial wealth, the top 1% of households had an even greater share: 39.7%. Table 1 and Figure 1 present further details drawn from the careful work of economist Edward N. Wolff at New York University (2004).

Obama's tax plan is to return to the progressive form of the Clinton administration which would target to the largest degree the 1 per cent at the top
with one third of the wealth in the country.

Small business owners making over 250 thousand in profit would see the smallest increase.
No more than they paid in the Clinton era which was without a doubt the most prosperous in recent history.

The benefits of this system would take the burden off the middle class which has only
16 per cent of the wealth in this country. The wage earners and salaried employees like Joe the plumber would get instant relief.

This will encourage them to spend more and stimulate the economy.

Posted by: seemstome | October 29, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

John McCain has been acting erratically ever since he selected Palin for his running mate. When the economy failed his behavior became bizarre. Stresses on any president in the next few years are going to be extreme . They will be fatal for someone in McCain's health and mental state. When he steps down we will then inherit his Palin fiasco.

Now Colin Powell has recognized these facts and has endorsed Obama as being a cool-headed and logical leader who is more fit for the presidency.

Kipling said it best:

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings---nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And---which is more---you'll be a Man, my son!

He was talking about men like Obama.

Posted by: seemstome | October 29, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse