ObamaVision: An Appeal to the Masses

By Tom Shales
Barack Obama fired the final salvo in the great battle of images that is the 2008 presidential campaign last night with a half-hour, multimillion-dollar television infomercial that could be considered not the "feel-good" but rather the "feel-better" movie of the year.

Somehow both poetic and practical, spiritual and sensible, the paid political broadcast, which aired on seven major cable and broadcast networks (on Univision, it was identified as "Historias Americanas"), was a montage of montages, a series of seamlessly blended segments interweaving the stories of embattled Americans with visions of their deliverer, Guess Who.

As political filmmaking, "Barack Obama: American Stories" was an elegant combination of pictures, sounds, voices and music designed not so much to sell America on Barack Obama as to communicate a sensibility. The film conveyed feelings, not facts -- specifically, a simulation of how it would feel to live in an America with Barack Obama in the White House. The tone and texture recalled the "morning in America" campaign film made on behalf of Ronald Reagan, a work designed to give the audience a sense of security and satisfaction; things are going to be all right.

Continue reading»

By Web Politics Editor  |  October 30, 2008; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tucker Eskew Blasts Palin Press Coverage
Next: Share Your View of the Election

Comments

Why is that all these "wingnuts" come and blot on a "liberal rug" like the Wapo?
If you are trying to convince us of your flawed ideology that gave us 8 years of failed policies and the biggest government this Great Country has ever had, you are deluded, just go and entertain Rush limbaugh and friends...Oh don't forget to come back on Nov5!

Posted by: BFranco | October 30, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Nowanna3, as I said before, both Parties are responsible for the economic crisis but the Democrats are not taking responsibility. They are pointing fingers. John McCain will cross Party lines to help get America back in shape but Obama will not cross the lines because he has never gone against the Democratic Party.

The economy is a real issue but let us not forget that America is at war. The very enemies who want to destroy America have ties with Obama. Hamas in Palestine is outsourcing Obama's campaign. Many illegal donors to Obama's campaign are from the Middle Eastern countries. Israel is American's number one friend abroad, yet Obama is rubbing elbows with HAMAS in Palestine.

Posted by: sonnychiba72 | October 30, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sonnychiba72 | October 30, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

sonnychiba72:

I agree, both parties bear responsibility for the current economic crisis, but it did happen under the Republican presidential watch.

I also think that both parties are blaming each other as is how things typically happen during an election.

Why you are saying that only the Democrats compare to the Nazis is where you lose me.

"The Democrats are responsible for the financial crisis as much as the Repbulicans, as neither Party is blameless.

Obama is not Hitler, that is for sure. Obama stands for a different kind of National Socialism."

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 30, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

sonnychiba72:

You better add McCain to you list of Democrats wanting less regulation...

"'I'm Always for Less Regulation'
McCain's Economic Thinking"

"Q: In 1995, when the Republicans won control of both houses of Congress, you proposed a regulatory moratorium, but couldn't get it passed. Would you declare such a moratorium if you were president?

A: I'm always for less regulation. But I am aware of the view that there is a need for government oversight. I think we found this in the subprime lending crisis -- that there are people that game the system and if not outright broke the law, they certainly engaged in unethical conduct which made this problem worse. So I do believe that there is role for oversight.

"As far as a need for additional regulations are concerned, I think that depends on the legislative agenda and what the Congress does to some degree, but I am a fundamentally a deregulator. I'd like to see a lot of the unnecessary government regulations eliminated, not just a moratorium.

I've thought more on the area of deregulation rather than a moratorium."

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 30, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

From the LA Times
Quick Links: Current affairs. Egypt. Iran. Iraq. Israel. Marines in Iraq. Religion.

Update on the overseas vote from Israel

The exit polls show a very strong preference for John McCain over Barack Obama. Keevon, the communications firm, indicate that 76% of the polled voters in Israel said they voted for Republican candidate John McCain; 24% said they cast their ballot in favor the Democrat, Barack Obama. The information is based on data collected from 817 absentee voters at several voting events in Jerusalem and Tel-Aviv as well as an online survey.

Americans in Israel know the score. A vote for Obama is a vote for the enemies of USA and Israel. Obama is using the economy as a smoke screen to hide the security issues facing America. Obama is part of the security risk to America. Obama is outsourcing his campaign in Palestine and in other Arab Nations.

Posted by: sonnychiba72 | October 30, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

From the LA Times

Update on the overseas vote from Israel

Posted by: sonnychiba72 | October 30, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

newagent99:

Thank you for those words. I have been trying to think of something to say about Obama,BUT you did it for me. He was almost down on his knees last night "begging" for each person to call everyone they know to vote for him. Then those people call all the people they know and ask them the same thing. I hope that before the time for election day, that the people that have backed him all along, think seriously before they vote for him.

Posted by: smaggie | October 30, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

newagent99:

Posted by: smaggie | October 30, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pastor123 | October 30, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I am an American. Hitler and his Nazis burned the Reichstag and blamed it on the Communists. There is a similarity of what Obama and the Democrats are doing but nothing near the heinous magnitude of Hitler and the Nazis.

It all began under Bill Clinton's Administration. Then Senator Dodd, Congressman Frank, Senator Barack Obama and other Democrats refused Bush administration requests to set up a regulatory agency to watch over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and who were still pushing for these agencies to go even further in promoting subprime mortgage loans almost up to the minute they failed. Once the bottom fell out, THEY are blaming the Republican Party for the USA financial crisis. So, we can say , it is Nazi-like tactics. The Democrats are responsible for the financial crisis as much as the Repbulicans, as neither Party is blameless.

Posted by: sonnychiba72 | October 30, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sonnychiba72 | October 30, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I am a Canadian. I read US publications and watch mainstream public affairs shows on tv.We recently had a federal election in Canada.The whole process took six weeks.There did not seem to be the level of hate expressed here as in some of the right wing media and blogs in your country.Maybe this is because we have five parties which tends to consensus in some areas.

There is racism here but for historical reasons it does not run as deep.We have never subscibed to the "melting pot" idea.There seems to be a racist tone to a lot of the campaigning in your elections which most thinking Canadians would not tolerate.

The recent blog comparing Mr. Obama to Hitler is is way off base.The writer betrays his lack of knowledge and is very selective in his information.Hitler was elected and then appointed by the president of the day with the full support of the military and much of the German business elite in other words the"establishment".Nationalism,patriotism,
and racist policies supported by propaganda did the rest.War followed as per the plan found in Mein Kampf.

Posted by: drcnorth | October 30, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Nowanna3, for skirting and deflecting the issue! So what, I left out two commas, Americans know what I am saying. Obama loves his associates, which includes militant muslims in Palestine; HAMAS. Obama is outsourcing his campaign to the enemies of USA and Israel.

This shows your REAL concern. Your blind love for Obama, beyond any means.

Posted by: sonnychiba72 | October 30, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: drcnorth | October 30, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

This shows your REAL concern. Your blind love for Obama, beyond any means.

Posted by: sonnychiba72 | October 30, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I think the Palin school of sentence structure is rubbing off...

So Obama wants to overthrow radical militant Muslims you say?

"We can say that he loves himself and he loves his associates who are left wing radical Americans bent on over-throwing America and radical militant muslims."
-- sonnychiba72

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 30, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Very well done!

Of course, conservadrones will attack it like the wild pack of animals they are but this wasn't about them-- this was about us, this was about reality, this was about REAL AMERICA:

Economy not terrorism.
Healthcare not abortion.
Hope not hate.

Save our Country and Constitution

Vote OBAMA Nov 4

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 30, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

No fair with these lines, I am trying to drink my coffee.

I am relatively sure Hitler never portrayed himself as a "poor little black kid", lol.

"All I get from Obama is he is just like Hitler with the "why me attitude" and "poor little black kid" in his books just like Hitler."

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 30, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Mire1, Hillary and Bill Clinton, together with Joe Biden, are ALL sell outs. Hillary and Joe Biden were very critical of Obama when they were running for President but now, they say vote for him! That is hypocracy at it's highest level. It's not happening. We will never vote for Obama.

Obama has sold out the US military and he will sell us out again if he is elected. He is not the kind of Commander in Chief that we would ever respect.

I and my brothers in arms know that John McCain-Sarah Palin are not perfect but compared to Barry Soetoro Barack Obama-Joe Biden, McCain and Palin are SAINTS. One thing we know, they both love America. We can't say that about Barry Soetoro Barack Obama. We can say that he loves himself and he loves his associates who are left wing radical Americans bent on over-throwing America and radical militant muslims. This is not a scare tactic but the Truth backed up by his philosophy, by his associates and their backgrounds. Obama in Un-American.

Posted by: sonnychiba72 | October 30, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

No fair with these lines, I am trying to drink my coffee.

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 30, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Senator Obama has come along in a time of world despair - he has brought hope for the future - we owe him a big thank you. ...............

Posted by: glclark4750 | October 30, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

mire1: First one to mention Hitler loses.

:-)

Don't worry. Your Post Election Stress Disorder will be treated by a Counselor provided by an effete liberal in your neighborhood.

:-)

Posted by: toritto | October 30, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Warren Buffett got a better deal than Paulsen.

Why am I not surprised.

Posted by: toritto | October 30, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

"spiritual and sensible"

I'm gagging.

Posted by: Echo21 | October 30, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Hitler appealed to the masses as well in a faltering economy and look what happened there. History can and will repeat it's self if we are not careful.

All I get from Obama is he is just like Hitler with the "why me attitude" and "poor little black kid" in his books just like Hitler. Read Mien Komf (Hitler's story in his own words) a petty sad little man blaming everyone else for his shortcomings.

Obama now that he is in the public spotlight is so full of himself that he comes across as newagent99 put it "worship me". Well he doesn't have my vote not at all. I have always voted Dem except this time. I have crossed the lines and voted Rep. and all the Clinton followers and the Clintons themselves I feel are just big sell outs just to get a Dem in office.

He doesn't know what he's doing and it's all for him and his glory. I didn't fall into his trap.

Posted by: mire1 | October 30, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mire1 | October 30, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

This is the Obama, the one for America!
I am not surprised Palestinians are going ga-ga over Barack Obama. It seems that when not engaged in orchestrating suicide bombings against Israel, they are busy working the phones on Obama's behalf.
Why do they do this? Maybe because he declared their mortal enemy, Israel to be a perpetrator of genocide against the Palestinian people…

On Oct. 28, 2008, a young Palestinian in a Gaza refugee camp is doing his part to get out the vote for Barack Obama. With a little help from the Internet, 24-year-old Ibrahim Abu Jayab is cold calling random American families from his parent’s home imploring them to vote Obama.

So let me understand this, Barack Obama is outsourcing some of his campaign’s work abroad, to Palestine no less… I am sure that violates a few FEC rules, but doing things by the book has never been Obama’s way, has it?

The source? Major news websites around the world are carrying this story. The Third Movement has known this type thing for some time about Barry Soetoro Obama. He is the most un-American candidate to run for President or any other higher office in the history of America.

Posted by: sonnychiba72 | October 30, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

How Many Trillion Dollar Deficit?

Democrats vie to Shape an Obama Legislative Agenda
Jonathan Weisman WSJ Today

...The first group, led by "old bull" liberals, wants to move fast on big-ticket issues such as universal health care and weaning the nation off Middle Eastern oil and on regulatory and labor issues, such as allowing unions to organize by getting would-be members to sign cards backing collective bargaining instead of submitting to secret ballots.

Rep. Rangel argues that a President Obama would face a narrow window after the election to move on those big items, as well as his tax plan. That would raise the top two income-tax rates, raise capital-gains and dividend tax rates on upper-income families, and cut taxes on the middle class. Democrats need to have faith that a strong showing in the election indicates broad political backing, Rep. Rangel said. They should be emboldened by the $700 billion Wall Street bailout that Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson secured. And he doesn't want to hear talk of containing the deficit.

"For God's sake," he said, "don't ask me where the money will come from. I'm going to the same place Paulson went."

Posted by: thecannula | October 30, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

good ness , it was "worship me" you peons..

Posted by: newagent99 | October 30, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

good ness , it was "worship me" you peons..

Posted by: newagent99 | October 30, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse