Palin's 'Pro-America Areas' Remark: Extended Version

Updated 4:01 p.m.
By Juliet Eilperin
In order to clarify comments made by GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin last night at a Greensboro, N.C., fundraiser about being in a "pro-America" area of the country, Elizabeth Holmes from the Wall Street Journal sent out a slightly more detailed version of her pool report that came out yesterday, which was then e-mailed around by the campaign.

The upshot? The District is neither "real America" nor "pro-America." Other parts of the nation? It's unclear, but if you live in a small town, you're probably patriotic from Palin's point of view.

"We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington, D.C. We believe" -- here the audience interrupted Palin with applause and cheers -- "We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation."

She continued: "This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans. Those who are running our factories and teaching our kids and growing our food and are fighting our wars for us. Those who are protecting us in uniform. Those who are protecting the virtues of freedom."

In an e-mail, Palin spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt emphasized that the Alaska governor was not insulting D.C., she was merely highlighting the virtues of far-flung cities and towns across the nation.

"She was reinforcing the message that the best of our America isn't confined to our nation's capitol," Schmitt wrote.

By Web Politics Editor  |  October 17, 2008; 1:58 PM ET
Categories:  Sarah Palin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cindy and Candy on the McCain Plane
Next: McCain Stands Up for Joe

Comments

Palin spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt has had to chip in a lot to explain what Palin actually means. Maybe Schmitt should begin writing Palin's speeches right from start, to save herself the work?

Posted by: asoders22 | October 22, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

One of the many reasons Gen. Powell gave for choosing to endorse Sen.Obama was McCain's choice in running mate. Another was the fact that McCain hasn't stood up to the narrowing of the Republican party Bush, Rove, Palin and many others encourage. As less and less of the citizens of this country are deemed "American" by the extreme members of the Republican party, the majority of of our citizens in all parts our country, big cities and small towns, will be voting Obama into office. (McCain no longer has a shot at winning the popular vote.) If McCain had stayed the true "Maverick" he used to be this may not have happened. Instead he signed onto the agenda of the republicans he used to fight against and much of his honor went away, and less and less of us see him as a potential president. Obama 08

Posted by: jtnola | October 21, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Good point, gfruzze.

I grew up in a small town, escaped and paid my own way through college, and I now live in a city. Small town U.S.A. isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

Rural towns have serious problems retaining doctors, teachers, and college-educated citizens. There are issues with lack of jobs, access to health care, and good schools. Rural areas have serious meth problems. Why would I want to live somewhere like that? At least in my "un-American" urban area, I can get a good job and pay my bills, I have easy access to my doctor, and there are things to do - art exhibits, bike paths, great restaurants. All things that the "pro-America" hicks of this country don't know a thing about. Cities have crime, drugs, and bad people for sure - but so do small towns! Imagine that!

Do you think rural folks are friendly and salt of the earth? Go hang out in a small town for a while. If you are an "outsider", you will get stared or glared at. If your family doesn't have the right last name, you are snubbed. If you don't go to church, it is whispered that you worship Satan. People gossip constantly about their neighbors because they have nothing better to do, yet they still claim to be Christians. McCain/Palin say that city-folk are elitist? From my experience, rural folk are WAY more elitist than we will ever be.

The day that rural areas can produce actual jobs like urban areas do and contribute to the economy, and the day that red states and "pro-America" small towns stop taking blue state, dirty, big-city tax dollars from us at higher rates than they contribute themselves, then they can talk.

Remember 9/11? NEW YORK CITY. I guess all you NYC people aren't American enough, hate to break it to you.

Posted by: Butterfly3 | October 21, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Good point, gfruzze.

Posted by: Butterfly3 | October 21, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Can you imagine if Romney, Huckabee, or Richardson had cited their Guard leadership as national security experience? They would've been laughed out of the race.

Posted by: McBain1 | October 19, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I live in a small town that would make Wasilla look like New York City.

My town and my state will probably go for McCain, but not unanimously--at least 40% will vote for Obama.

In my town, the 40% works, worships, eats, sleeps with the 60%.

Tonight while buying dog food at the Dollar General store, I stood behind a woman wearing an Obama t-shirt. No one called her un-American. No one ostracized her.

Even in the most conservative enclaves in America, there are liberals, just as there are conservatives in liberal regions. That's a good thing, for anyone who believes in democracy.

But Sarah Palin calls instead for a kind of regional fascism, in which pockets of real Americans think in lockstep, and anyone who disagrees can move out.

I've seen Triumph of the Will. That kind of unity makes for a pretty parade, but it's anathema for individualism and democracy. It's taken our nation a long time to learn to respect each citizen's unique talents and strengths. Governor Palin wants us to take one giant step backwards. Let's hope her rhetoric is less persuasive than Leni Riefensthal's.

Examples of Republican visual propaganda: http://www.whenrepublicansattack.com

Posted by: WhenRepublicansAttack | October 18, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

NO DOUBT, PALIN IS AN IDIOT! McCain lost my trust and confidence when he nominated a bimbo knowing that he might die and leave us to this woman who can't even articulate intelligently her thoughts.

God Bless America if she ever becomes our President! But read the article below and you'll know why McCain did what he did.

He doesn't care really about America, he only cares about one thing....leaving behind a legacy that he has so ambitiously been chasing.

Posted by: leoruler | October 18, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Please READ this article and get to know the Real John McCain. This is sad! You can tell a lot about a man’s character by the way he treats his love ones…...Imagine your dad doing this to your mother.

This is a quote, but read the article from the link below...
"Ted Sampley, who fought with US Special Forces in Vietnam and is now a leading campaigner for veterans’ rights, said: ‘I have been following John McCain’s career for nearly 20 years. I know him personally. There is something wrong with this guy and let me tell you what it is – deceit.
‘When he came home and saw that Carol was not the beauty he left behind, he started running around on her almost right away. Everybody around him knew it.
‘Eventually he met Cindy and she was young and beautiful and very wealthy. At that point McCain just dumped Carol for something he thought was better.
‘This is a guy who makes such a big deal about his character. He has no character. He is a fake. If there was any character in that first marriage, it all belonged to Carol."

Posted by: leoruler | October 18, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

"Can you imagine if Obama went and did an event in New York and starting talking about how great it is to be in the real America? How insanely pissed would all those rural voters be?"

He did, and it almost cost him the nomination. The "cling to guns" remark was along the same lines. Here's the thing though... her stupidity WILL cost McCain the presidency. Obama screwed up, and you can bet he'll never say anything like that again. It was a bad way of making a good point. What Palin is saying is completely ridiculous. Most people recognize it for what it is, and the ticket she is on will get trashed in November, in large part because of her. She made Obama the "safe" choice.

Posted by: billy8 | October 18, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Liberals are so out of touch with reality. What's wrong with an area being pro-America? This was better than Obama saying rural people are bitter and clinging to their guns and religion. Obama does not deserve my vote, which is why I am voting for McCain-Palin. By the way, people who go to democrat rallies are the worst scum America has to offer. They say things like "suck my d*ck" and "f*ck you!" and spit on anyone who does not agree with their idiotic views. Down with liberalism, and down with Obama.

Posted by: StarCB17 | October 18, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking for the press to call this woman what she is: an extremist, a polarizing hatemonger.

I can't believe how gullible the press is about her goal and end game: wake up the hateful, white far-right hateful and hope they will pull the country back to "her" side.

It was ridiculous for her to be heralded as anyone who could have anything but a narrow view of the world based on how she's lived her entire life. I'm not shocked at what she thinks--just as how freely she shares it with the rest of us.

She should be kept as busy defending her narrow views and background as you have attempted to keep Barack busy defended the ridiculous assaults on his character. Only in this case, we would really be finding out what she has been screaming to us is her lack of judgment, character and hatred of anyone who doesn't look and act like her. Not what we need in a leader.

And don't forget: negative attacks are happening as we speak in this nation against those "unamerican" folk in society. It never ceases to happen when the press decides to champion bigotry in the name of "news", those who support the baser nature start to "vent" on those of us they believe are "the problem." My sister got chased today by some whites who called her "part of the problem", and only her pointing her cell phone at them and telling them she had her lawyer on the phone stopped their assault. Is this what you want Sarah? I bet it is.

Posted by: bronzee | October 18, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

McCain and Palin are trying to sell you on their candidacy in the same way sub-prime mortgage companies duped their victims. The difference is that this time, it’s the whole country that will be in danger of foreclosure.

Don’t make the mistake that Obama has this election won. The people must vote on November 4th. No complacency, my fellow Americans. We can’t afford it. The only way we give ourselves a chance to claw our way back to greatness is to make sure you get up, get out and vote. If you registered recently, just take some time to verify that you are still registered. We can start down the road to healing the wounds of the last eight years. It starts with sweeping clean the debris of failed ideals and poisoned policies, and you, my friends, are the broom. Let's start sweeping.

Posted by: gadjitfreek | October 18, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Another of the endless sounds of ignorance and insensitivity coming from that woman's painted gob. She and McCain really know how to divide a nation in the ugliest and most unnecessary of ways. These two are not fit for duty.

I have submitted my enthusiastically patriotic vote for Mr.Obama! I feel proud to be part of this historic opportunity to heal this nation's wounds and move us forward thoughtfully and sustainably into the 21st century.

Posted by: leap2three | October 18, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't everyone get the code word? Small town American = white, the total opposite of urban America = black/thuggery?

Posted by: observing1 | October 18, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Just another Sister Sarah hate rally. Why all the fuss?

Posted by: jam754 | October 18, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

IF PALIN IS SO QUALIFIED...
Then why didn't she run for president?

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 18, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

My family received a pension from Congress for serving with General Washington during the Revolution.

My great grandfather was combat wounded at Gettysburg.

My father served on Saipan.

My brother was a pilot in Viet Nam.

Two members of my immediate family are currently serving. One has been deployed into combat zones 3 times. The other is a high school cadet.

As a free citizen of this Republic, I own the right call myself an American. It is a right my family fought to establish and a right we are defending today.

I will vote for Obama.

Governor Palin does not understand freedom and is not worthy to lead those who defend liberty.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | October 18, 2008 1:44 AM | Report abuse

This bumpkin from Alaska is ignorant to a degree almost beyond comprehension. In her fetish for the greatness of rural America, we see she does not really understand or care about the realities of rural people. Ask any non-retiree rural dweller if they are happy about the lack of jobs, lack of good medical care, and underfunded/poor quality schools that exist in many rural towns and cities. Rural America is not a utopia or paradise as she sees it, but rather has many of the same problems our cities have, if indeed not more of them.

Posted by: gfruzze | October 18, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

tbastian, there is a vast difference between when Obama says '''um, or ah than when Palin says it. Obama is actually thinking when he says it. Usually a coherent thought comes out. When Palin prefaces her ums and ahs, out comes something ignorant and hateful. This woman needs to go back to Alaska and have someone write a book for her. I suggest a title: ''How to Lose an Election in Record Time.''

Posted by: Lalady | October 17, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

OMG, I have just been informed by Sarah Palin that I am anti-American. I still cry when I hear about troop deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan, and when I think about 9-11. I even feel pride looking at Air Force One, even though I know who is inside. It's really a shock to learn that I am anti-American. Mr. McCain, I love America enough to get to my polling place on Nov. 4th and do my part to make sure you and your attack dog, domestic terrorist, hate mongering running mate get nowhere near 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Posted by: Lalady | October 17, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

hello America.. we have heard pro-choice pro-life...etc..etc.. until now oct,2008 Thanks for Ms. Palin we are now update to a new pro-America and anti-America???? so sad...What and Who are you realy Ms. Palin???

Posted by: hawaiifiv05yahoocom | October 17, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I live in a large urban area and I am very pro-American. Palin is just among the reasons why I am voting for Obama.

Posted by: edwardatvienna | October 17, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I would like Senator McCain to repudiate the divisive remarks of his running mate. Of course we are going to hear that she was misquoted, her remarks were taken out of context and we are being too picky or fussy.

So since I know Senator McCain isn't going to admonish his running mate, can those of us who don't live in the "real America" or in "pro-America" have our own president if he wins? Since neither he nor Ms. Palin don't find us American enough, maybe we won't find them presidential enough to represent us.

Posted by: puppiesandkitties | October 17, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

What's next Palin? "Shoot 'em in the face" a la G. Gordon Liddy?

I wonder where she's cribbing all this "small town" rhetoric? Anybody got any guesses?

Posted by: jaho | October 17, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

It's unAmerican to loath half your countrymen.
But it's exactly what so many Conservatives do.

Posted by: Lalalu | October 17, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

IF PALIN IS SO QUALIFIED

Then why didn't she run for president?

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 17, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

bourassa1, I make more than $250,000 per year right now. If Obama raises my taxes, I will simply take some well-deserved time off and make sure I earn less. Does that sound mentally-unbalanced to you?

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 17, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

"Right genius, so after I have covered my nut, I'm going home and playing with my kids rather than killing myself so Obama can distribute my hard earned cash to ACORN and Radical Education Programs..."

Sounds like a good idea. You could probably use some relaxation.

Posted by: bourassa1 | October 17, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

What was Palin thinking when she was talking about "pro-Amreica?" Oh, that's right, she doesn't think, she opens her mouth first and then it's too late. Palin, get a brain; this country is pro-America, not just Washington or little small pockets of towns, but the whole USA! You have been hanging out with too many moose, you dingy! You are one scary woman!!

Posted by: gypsymoonlove | October 17, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I live in pro-America. In fact, everyone I know lives in pro-America, including the one person in our township who always votes communist. I just don't live in pro-Palinville or pro-McCainia. That doesn't make me any less of a pro-American, though.

Posted by: jennypulczinski | October 17, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I would like to remind Ms Palin that Honolulu, Hawaii ---where Senator Obama and I were born and grew up--is also the "real" America.

Palin's view of the "good" America so far seems limited to the predominantly white sea of faces in her crowds. I do hate to stereotype like this, but I'm afraid the video views only reinforce this to be true. The lack of diversity at the republican rallies really does stun me. The crowds I see at the Obama rallies look like the diverse, and yes, REAL, America I am familiar with through living in Hawaii (and now California). I find her comments at best naive, and at worst, deeply divisive.

Posted by: clarissa1 | October 17, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Isn´t everyone fed up with all that high-school basketball pep rally rhetoric from Sarah Palin? Apart from firing up her own base, do ANY of her positions enthuse any independent, undecided voter? For example, she frequently blasts the Democrats for looking to the past to find blame... Well, by citing Bill Ayers in the 60´s, Ronad Reagan, McCain´s record from POW to senator during the last 30 years, etc. the GOP is relying on the past. GET SERIOUS!!

Posted by: j_observer | October 17, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I find it very interesting that most of the pro McCain supporters miss the the very salient point:TO PAY MORE TAX YOU MUST EARN MORE MONEY. broedd2003
**********
Right genius, so after I have covered my nut, I'm going home and playing with my kids rather than killing myself so Obama can distribute my hard earned cash to ACORN and Radical Education Programs, like the one he supported with Ayres...I'll probably lay off 1/3rd of my employees- let Obama employ them, like FDR did in the last Depression....note I didn't call it the GREAT Depression- that one's coming soon to you and Obama- Hey, did you see the room service bill for Barack and Michelle at the Waldorf last night? Caviar and Champagne all the way!

Posted by: thecannula | October 17, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

IT SEEMS OBVIOUS THAT 'JOE THE PLUMBER' WAS A PLANT.

HOW ABOUT THOSE AGITATORS IN THE CROWDS AT MCCAIN-PALIN RALLIES?

FROM WHOSE RANKS DID THEY SPRING?

Posted by: scrivener50 | October 17, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

This is the bitter comments on steroid and a national scale. Exactly where do the Anti-Americans live???? Does Joe the Plumber live in the Pro or Anti-American section. And, who gets to decide where these parts of America are. Do we need permits to get in, is there a group anthem, a secret handshake or wink, a logo, how do I know when I get there and will I even be welcome? McCain's platform has been reduced to this slow, humilating bus ride to defeat on the Straight Talk DEpress. I would rather be motivated by hope than driven by Fear. Inspiratiion vs. desperation. McCain has shown me the sad, pathetic side of desperation. I feel sorry for the sad, odd little man he has become, from Hero to Zero. A sad Don Quixote leading a band of Palin yahoos tilting at windmills of fear, hate, and prejudice.

Posted by: friendlyfire1 | October 17, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

She is pandering to those people who showed up. Ever noticed that most people who attended her rallies are more angry? Angry to Obama, angry to people who disagree with their logic. Two guys were beaten up yesterday by a bunch of old ladies in NH. These guys were chanting Obama! Obama at Palin's rally when they were attacked.

Posted by: bigben1986 | October 17, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Several people in the bedroom communities here in New Jersey didn't come home from work on Sept 11th.
To imply that we "urban types" aren't American is pure moose dung. No one is planning an attack on Wasilla.
Governor Palin, go away and stay away ! No more gratuitous photo ops at the World Trade Center.

Posted by: NJmikeV | October 17, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

One wonders what kind of boogeymen are cranking around in Governor Palin's head. More to the point, who the hell does Ms Palin think she is!

Posted by: pbarnett52 | October 17, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Governor Palin,

There is so much more to America than you will ever realize.

Greetings from the great, though probably "un-American," city of Chicago, Illinois. (I can see Obama's campaign headquarters from my office!)

Posted by: MidwestforObama | October 17, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

chrisduckworth,

Great post my friend! Thank you!

Posted by: Godhimself1 | October 17, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Out here where I live (in one of those apparently anti-American cities), one of my favorite spots is an area near the water from which one can see, among many other sights, the USS Midway.

.....

Arrgggghhhh. I am so absolutely pi$$ed off by this one bit of Palin-speak (why this one, among the many, I have no idea) that I can't even get a reasonable sentence out.

As of now, all my spare time is now spoken for - getting Obama elected and this un-patriotic trash-talking POS sent back to Alaska. (Sorry, you Alaskans...)

Posted by: kcInSD | October 17, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Where are the anti-America parts of this country and how do you know that it is anti-America and who will decide that?

I have been around this country quite a bit and I have not found anywhere that is not Pro-America, so where is this woman talking about?

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 17, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

What Palin was doing was once again giving her supporters the us vs them storyline. "You here at my rally - you're the good Americans. Be afraid and hate those who are against us. And if one of you should >wink

I bet the Secret Service agents guarding Obama wouldn't mind so much if she'd just stuff it for the next 18 days.

Posted by: sagcat | October 17, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

>Posted by: tbastian

>I agree Obama say's "Um" more than any
>politician I have seen. I am shocked that
>no one addresses it. But, Palin... she is
>the DEVIL and must be stopped.
>Ok, so she is different from the extreme
>left so she must be EVIL.

Obama doesn't say "Um" because he has nothing else to say, but because he is forming thoughts as he speaks - many intelligent people do this; sure, with cue cards and teleprompters and pre-written speeches, we don't hear that all the time, but in face-to-face discussions and interviews, it's not uncommon, and it's a far, far cry from, "I don't know , let me get back to ya." Sarah Palin isn't the devil, and it's idiotic to even make that sort of comparison based on your "facts"; exaggeration doesn't make something true. But she IS dangerously underqualified for the position of VP, has been shown to lie about her qualifications, motives and performance by nothing less than her own state government, and holds beliefs that are seriously divisive, beliefs she wants to make laws. The U.S. doesn't need someone to RUN the country - we need someone who can LEAD the country, and that's not what Palin is hoping for nor capable of. Thanks, but no thanks, Sarah.

Posted by: Ptrope | October 17, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

So, Palin does not think we are 'pro-America' (I guess we are anti-America?) and McCain's brother thinks parts of Virginia are 'communist country'.

Is this an accurate summary? Any Republicans out there want to address that?

Posted by: AMviennaVA | October 17, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

This woman is unfit to hold any public office, let alone open her mouth. She gives no thought to the consequences of her comments. Last week she was promoting that Obama hangs with terrorists without a thought that she might be putting the Senator and his family in danger. Sorry, I'm venting. Our only hope is to make sure you vote, and get make sure everyone you know goes out to vote..

Posted by: tandalyn | October 17, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Why is this just in the blog and not on the front page? If Obama had gone to Harlem and said he was proud to be among real Americans what would the Post have done with the story? Just because McCain is behind is no reason for the Post to go soft.

Posted by: woodybrosnan | October 17, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Palin can see America anyway she wants to. She is purely a scripted headstrong motivational speaker.

Sarah has a priority on her & her own values. Every speech written for her reminds me of being in a motivational church where they want you to follow their own agenda. What is she really doing for you?

Is this really what we want as a US Leader? Can you see Russia from your window?

Posted by: dhcobra | October 17, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

thecannula,

I happen to live in the area he talked about and you know what? He was right. If you read it the way his comment was intended rather than the spin you and the RNC/Palin-McCain campaign want to spin it that is. Northeast Pennsylvania and the Southern Tier of New York have been hurting a LONG time and we still are. If the truth is elitist, then yes, I suppose by that measure he is.

Posted by: wes1155 | October 17, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

New York fire-fighters and cops who vote Democratic, are they pro-America?

Posted by: asja | October 17, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

THESE SNIDE COMMENTS BEING MADE BY THIS SECESSIONIST ARE......

a very detailed look into how un-americn she see's this country as being if you are not white and talk with some type of twang and your sentiments aren't that we should seal off our borders and send African Americans back to Africa. Soon to be impeached Governor Sarah Palin comments are always, saturated in racial oveertones. She is as un-American as her Republican radical racist ideology.

My question that I must keep raising is why are we as American people even having to listen too her? why does she continue to be allowed to speak? She is corrupt, her ideas are corrupted and racist and tainted with racial hatred, accusation, fear, and hate mongering. Not to mention the fact that she no less than two weeks ago was found guilty of breaking her states ethics laws. She used her gubernatorial authority too settel a family score. Yet, she is still in terh running for the 2nd highest seat in the land. Perhaps we'll see her run again in 12 years against Hillary Clinton. That will definately be the ugliest most vile race we as Americans have ever seen.

Posted by: need4trth | October 17, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey bradcpa-

B.Obama in Pacific Heights CA-

"You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

You resent Palin's "elitist attitude"...what about your inexperienced Harvard Lawyer's elitist attitude"?

Posted by: thecannula | October 17, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

As someone who grew up in a fairly large city (Tulsa) with hardworking parents who taught me moral values, I am SICK of being put down by Sarah Palin.

Palin’s repeated glorification of ‘real’ Americans in small towns, and distinguishing between ‘pro-America’ parts of the country and others, is insulting and offensive. Here’s one big-city conservative who has had enough, and won’t be voting for McCain.

John McCain’s pick of Palin was a catastrophic error. Surely he wasn’t aware that Palin had such contempt for large numbers of Americans. His hasty choice has ended any chance for a McCain presidency.

Posted by: Womanist | October 17, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I resent the elitist attitude this woman has toward me because I am educated and live in an urban area. How dare her to question my values. I have never been a member of a radical political party that hates the United States like her husband has. This lady is not fit to hold any office.

Posted by: bradcpa | October 17, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans," she said referring to "small towns" and "little pockets."

What about those of us here in New York City? Remember 9/11, Sarah?

The hypocrisy and double standards have been ridiculous during this campaign and I cannot wait until November 4th. Why is it that Barack Obama and Michelle get labeled as unpatriotic with their comments? Is someone other than David Letterman or the women on The View going to call her out on this? It's sad, but they seem to be the only media outlets not allowing them to get away with double standards.

Posted by: ss2733 | October 17, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

So Obama gets savaged for saying small-towners cling to guns and religeons, yet there's no blowback for Palin declaring that anyone living in a city is anti-America.

Our fair and balanced media at work!

Posted by: SteveSF | October 17, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Once again Palin makes an ignorant remark which only serves to divide people rather than bring them together. I have news for her, ALL America is the REAL America. It isn't only some idealistic premise of one persons view of what is REAL. Watts is REAL America, Harlem is REAL America Brownsville, TX is REAL America, Newark, NJ is REAL America, El Centro, CA is REAL America, Dolumbia, MO is REAL America as much or more so than is Wasilla, AK. If you don't see there is no distinction, how can you govern for ALL of the people of America. A small view from a narrow minded person.

Palin is a fool, McCain is a bigger fool for allowing her on the ticket. I find it laughable he had could still say to Letterman she is ready to lead this country should the situation arise. Sure, he believes it. Yeah right and I have a Bridge to Nowhere I can sell him.

Posted by: wes1155 | October 17, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone from a big city overseas fighting to protect America? By big city I mean bigger than Wasilla, AK?? The world according to bird-brain Palin. Nice choice John, fortunately you're not going to get the chance to make anymore reckless and dangerous choices for America.

Posted by: thebobbob | October 17, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

USA3- Stop trying to appear smart... you are amazingly stupid, just as Gov Palin wants to appear like she is ready to be world leader. RE: T-shirts with the inappropriate c word. Was it OK for McCain to call his supporting wife a ____ in public before the news reporters?

Posted by: ThaiUS | October 17, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Palin is a complete HALF WIT. It will be nice when we no longer have to listen to her moronic observations. Back to Alaska please!

Posted by: Hoffmann1 | October 17, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

By the time this is all over, Palin spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt will need hazard duty pay and lots of therapy. Her boss is a friggin' idiot! This right here... this is the part that I don't get about present day Repubs. I understand having conservative principles; heck, I have one or two myself. By why must you chose hapless morons to be your leaders?!? How can that be a good thing? When did conservatism and underachievement become synonymous? Where are your next generation Barry Goldwaters and William F. Buckleys and Brent Scowcrofts and Jack Kemps and Colin Powells? You people can't really like what has become of your party, can you? Really?

Posted by: repubsux | October 17, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

This is one of my favorite lines from The American President:

"How do you have patience for people who claim they love America, but clearly can't stand Americans?"

Sort of sums up Sarah Palin to me.

Posted by: delfry | October 17, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

McCain had some issues during the debate. Medical Issues? What we didnt know. Watch complete 2 min video.

See debate out takes, and highlights.

Posted by: pastor123 | October 17, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"Those who are protecting us in uniform."

This woman never ceases to infuriate me!!!

Apparently, she's not familiar with a little thing called the Pentagon - with a "heckuva lotta" men and women in uniforms - um...protecting us.

My brother works at the Pentagon. How dare she!!!

How many people in uniforms in Greensboro, NC gave their lives on 9/11.

My blood is boiling. Deep breath. Count to 10.

Posted by: MollieKaye | October 17, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Say it ain't so, Sarah. Dog gone it, there you go again, spewing hate and trying to divide America.

Sarah Palin is a repulsive figure. As far as un-American activities, she needs to look no further than her husband....an Alaskan secessionist! What arrogance! The ignorant hubris of this woman is astounding. I didn't think anyone could be a more despicable figure than Bush. Seems I have been proven wrong.

Posted by: danielburns | October 17, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

What I'm amazed at is that people are still shocked or surprised at what comes out of her mouth. Did you not watch the Aryan, I mean Republican convention? All of the speeches were like that, not just hers. Even Bush derided half of his citizens by calling them the angry left. EVERY speech was tainted with them versus us lines. EVERY speech derided fellow citizens, because of political views, religous views or sexual preference. Why is anyone, including the conservatives who have spoken out AGAINST her surprised? Or is it just too difficult to accept that she was actually picked to be a VP candidate? I know, I still can't wrap my head around that one, not with women like Olympia Snowe, or Susan Collins around. And her going on SNL will only further confuse the issue. Is she going on to show how she can take a joke, even when the joke is her and her VP candicacy?

Posted by: katem1 | October 17, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I love it. Every time Miss Wasilla opens her mouth, McCain loses votes.

Supposedly Bill Kristol lobbied hard behind the scenes to get Palin on the ticket. I guess he owed Dan Quail one last favor.

Posted by: swalker3 | October 17, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

My first ever news-story comment:
I've spent 55 of my 58 years in rural or small-town America. I've bucked bales, chopped firewood, and butchered chickens. I like country music, I would probably do ok in the woods for a week, and I am really, really annoyed that Sarah Palin presumes to speak for me.

Real patriots don't look for ways to divide us further.

Posted by: booder1 | October 17, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

So Palin, where are these anti-America areas of the country?

I know Palin hasn't visited Maryland, so apparently, even though I'm a military vet, that means I must hate America.

Has she visited your state? If not, you too could be deemed "anti-American" by Side Show Barbie.

Posted by: DrainYou | October 17, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Amazing how the chief dog catcher, meter maid, and Mayor of the Metropolis of Wasilla Alaska, could utter any more stupid remarks, but lo and behold she stuffs her foot in her mouth once again, but John say's he so proud of her, in fact he must have of put off Letterman's question about 5 or 6 times about her competence, and Letterman never did get a straight answer.

She energized the base he says, but a cheap stripper would have accomplished exactly the same thing.

Lost and lonely they slowing sink into oblivion.

What went wrong Sarah, you had everybody excited, things were energized, oh I know, you opened your mouth!

Toasted and done like dinner.

Posted by: kentaylor1 | October 17, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I am getting tired of this successionist B*tch. She is married to an a-hole who wants to sever the state of Alaska from the United States of America, and this has been beauty queen has the unmitigated gall to judge every American citizen who lives in an urban city. Every American who lives in a "city" should boycot Lady Mabaline and her boss Yoda on November 4.

She is a luciferian harlot.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 17, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Wait, she clarified her remark by restating it? Oy.

Sorry, Sarah (and Sarah's handlers). Still offensive. I live in a not-so-small town in a blue state. Right outside of Washington DC. I love America, and want to make America even better.

That's why I'm voting for Obama :)

Posted by: ASinMoCo | October 17, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Mccain for having such an stupid person to be his running-mate.

Posted by: AdamHabibullah | October 17, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Palin's "real America" seems to be populated by white people who live in small towns. I'd love to see her map of the United States, dividing up the country into pockets of Real America, and leaving large swathes of the country for the rest of us not Real Americans.

What about the big metropolitan areas, with their cities and suburbs? What are they - not-so-real America? Fake America? Or, as John McCain's brother said in reference to Arlington and Alexandria, VA, are such communities "communist country?"

REAL AMERICA is found in those places where the flag of the United States flies over firehouses and schools, on police officer uniforms and lapel pins.
REAL AMERICA is found in those places where people practice free speech, free enterprise, free assembly, free worship.
REAL AMERICA is found in places where communities organize for the common good, lifting up others in times of need, not simply letting the poor search in darkness for their torn and worn out bootstraps.
REAL AMERICA runs from coast to coast, in small towns and large cities, in suburbs and in rural areas, in communities of various colors, languages, ethnicities, and identities.
REAL AMERICA looks nothing like that which you describe, Ms. Palin. Open your eyes. Take a look.

Posted by: chrisduckworth | October 17, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

She's reinforcing the idea that she's an idiot!!

Posted by: easysoul | October 17, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

PALIN is a PSYCHOPATH!

Republicans love America, they just hate half the people who live there.

Posted by: DrainYou | October 17, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the reason Sarah Palin doesn't consider Washington, DC to be pro-America is because she's all outraged over that "taxation without representation" thing we got going on here.

Umm...she does know what that means, right?

Posted by: krae-kartoons | October 17, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I am so very tired of these jokers all saying that "Washington is broken, and we need to fix it"....or "Washington is full of lobbyist and partisanship". But no one ever address the hundred of thousands of federal employees who make sure that our government operates smoothly every day...24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year...Washington is probally the realest place in American...

Posted by: sgoddard88 | October 17, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I have news for Sarah Palin: real Americans live all over America. Some of them live in cities. Some of them live on the East Coast. Some of them even live in Washington D.C.

She may be unaware of this, but servicemen in the the DC National Guard have died protecting our country.

DC school teachers get up every day and go to work educating our children.

DC residents pay federal taxes.

And those of us who work for or with the federal government -- making sure those folks in those far flung towns actually get their Social Security benefits and their Veteran's benefits and their Small Business Administration loans -- they are real Americans too.

Her ignorance and arrogance are breathtaking.

Posted by: fmjk | October 17, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Palin is the most divisive figure I have heard since George Wallace, the only difference is that he didn't sugar coat his crap. She is the Great White Hope of a sick, dying red elephant. I can't wait to bury it on November 4th.!

Posted by: AverageJane | October 17, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I see - being dropped in the woods for a week will show me what life is all about - funny, I thought it was about raising decent children, being helpful to my neighbors and co-workers and all that good stuff...I'm glad you set me straight.

I AM SO TIRED OF HEARING THIS KIND OF CRAP FROM REPUBLICANS!!!

I am totally fine with NASCAR, your desire to go and sit in the woods at the crack of dawn to hunt, (I prefer fishing), rooting for the Dallas Cowboys and enjoying the comedy of Larry the Cable Guy. Go to it, and enjoy what you want, be who you want to be, chant "Drill Baby Drill" and USA-USA-USA" all you want. I love you and glad that you are all Americans.

But apparently, there is no room in your world view for folks who don't fit some stereotypical profile of what an American is, for those that tolerate folks that don't agree with the same things you do, that are tolerant of persons of other religions and cultures, who might openly disagree with the government (see Dixie Chicks, The) I guess we are just different and un-American in your eyes. That is what I see in your reactions to Sarah Palin, and your reactions to anything that appears to be foriegn to your way of life, including, I guess, putting some thought into running the government.

Unless someone conforms to your mode of living, they cannot be considered American.

That, my friends, is Un-American.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 17, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

There seems to be no end to the reckless-ness of that woman. Her ignorance is only amplified by the viciousness and stupid utterances at her campaign speeches. So where is the real pro- America? And what about the rest of America? The world is anxious to find out as it trembles in fear at the prospect of a McCain/Palin win.

Posted by: checkpoint1 | October 17, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't hate Palin. I just think she is totally unqualified to be in national office and is in way over her head as a VP candidate. her world view ends at the borders of Alaska. I know more about national and world affairs than she does and I am not qualified to be vice president.

Posted by: chlind | October 17, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Thank God we have Palin out there ensuring Obama is going to win. I don't know if I am more afraid of her or the people that probably ate that right up. Something is deeply wrong with this country. They say more professors are liberal and I think it is because of education, so clearly more people need to get a higher education; our system needs to be fixed so those "Pro-Americans" can see how they are being lied to and used by conservative republicans.

Posted by: timsayz | October 17, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

If you're not from a 'pro-American' part of the country then I guess your from an against-American part of the country and according to all the new unitary executive powers claimed by baby-Bush, can therefore be identified, on the President's say so(no review, no judge, no recourse), as an enemy of America and be detained indefinitely.

That doesn't sound so 'American' to me. Don't these right wing nut reactionary extremists think about this stuff for more than a second?

01/20/09. End of an Error.

Posted by: thebobbob | October 17, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

barack obama is racist
and a blantant liar.
His grandmother was
a 'typical white person'

ask him what he means by
that?

Posted by: USA3 | October 17, 2008 2:25 PM

Working to improve the lot of her family, looking for a brighter tomorrow. It is not that different than the typical black person. That is not a concept you grasp because you are on the fringe. If you are trying to do anything other than strengthen Obama you should go away. All you do is pollute this site. You are harming your candidate and the sensibilities of the rest of us.

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 17, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I always find it amusing to see the manner in which Right-wing politicians and their supporters cast themselves as the "Real Americans." First of all, it's insulting to those of us who chose to live in cities or were born in urban areas. Second, isn't it elitist by definition to claim that you belong to a class which is superior in some sense to others?

There's nothing wrong with small-town America, just like there's nothing wrong with big-city America. This divisiveness in the guise of patriotism is appalling.

And USA3 - "half-breed?" you've exposed yourself as a despicable racist.

Posted by: biercuk | October 17, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

sARAH PALIN is an ignorant and dangerous women. She should be investigated , and held accountable for her racist remarks and her racist ignorance. John MCCAIN is so senile he does not even know what this women has done to help him loose all honor and dignity.We should take to the streets to protest her means of dividing the country.Just when we all should become our brothers' keepers she wants to turn us against each other. She is no better than the KKK and the SKINHEADS and all their hate.John MCSHAME wants to say she is a role model for all women. She is no role model of mind ad I resent him saying that.
She doe not represent me.

Posted by: pokeymompokey | October 17, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin doesn't like black people, either, apparently.

And this is the dog whistling code speaker that John McCain is so proud of?

Nice work, John.

Posted by: sfexpat2000 | October 17, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

it is easy to connect with sarah
Palin,
if you believe in a power greater
then any on earth.
if you hunt or fish or work.
if you think crazy
city peta types need to be dropped
into the wilderness for a week,
to see what life really is about.
NO OBAMA

Posted by: USA3 | October 17, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sarah, since you feel that small towns and some states are "pro America". Why don't you come to Vermont. We'd come out by the thousands to greet you with Obama/Biden signs.

This is the latest of dumb comments by someone who hasn't a clue.

Posted by: NotBubba | October 17, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I think Ms Palin is trying to develop a new variation of divisional politics based on whether you are worldly or unworldly. I think she wishes to be the candidate of the uninformed and those who are belligerent to those who are informed. She wants to represent those who know more about their neighbors "secret" personal lives than about who or what their congressman represents.

I assumes this means that we have not heard the last of Ms Palin. She may spend the next four years becoming more educated in the world beyond Alaska so that she will no longer appear like a bumpkin when she does not want to.

I am always suspicious of those who think that being patriotic is something that you have to prove. Patriotism is like belief in God you either have it or you do not. No amount of attendance at church or recitation of scriptures will prove that you have it. It is something that only you know you know exists or others feel you have.

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 17, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

there will a long cold chill,
when the 'best candidate to ever
run for the office of president
of the United States' barack obama
loses.....
if will seem silly in retrospect,
that he had no experience, and a
liberal agenda, gov. sponsored abortions,
taxes on taxes, restricting individual
freedoms, entitlement programs,
a pro minority quota system,
radical reform away from test
scores toward 'engaged anti-establishment'
education.
pushing middle class working whites
to embrace a man that did not share
any of their core beliefs...
God! Country! Reward!
EQUALITY!

Not Preference for minorities....
a Hand Up, not a HAND OUT!

NOBAMA08

Posted by: USA3 | October 17, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Translation:

Big urban areas are more liberal and traditionally vote Democratic. Ergo, only "small towns" are the "real" America. Why are people who have college educations and don't work with their hands not considered "real"?

Posted by: ManUnitdFan | October 17, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I guess those of us that live in urban areas are fascist commie terrorist-supporting pigs, huh, Palin? Sarah Palin is spewing the most unpatriotic stuff we've heard in a long time. Maybe she picked up some of this stuff when she attended those Alaskan Independent Party conferences with Todd, a member of the AIP for YEARS.

Posted by: DogBitez | October 17, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Kind of makes you wonder why if she feels that way she is fighting her way through the sewers and gutters to get into Washington, D.C. Power hungry heifer!

Posted by: tydicea | October 17, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

This is sort of like a reversed "bitter" comment, isn't it. Palin should get hammered for dissing large swaths of voters (and Americans) just as much as Obama got hit for his boneheaded quip.

Posted by: parkerfl1 | October 17, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Palin is so-o-o-o pro-American. What are the chances that, before the campaign is over, we'll hear her answer a question about why her husband was a member of a party that wanted Alaska to secede from the U.S. of A., and she sent her best wishes to that party?

Posted by: dicka1 | October 17, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

barack obama is racist
and a blantant liar.
His grandmother was
a 'typical white person'

ask him what he means by
that?

Posted by: USA3 | October 17, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

IRONY: "She proudly ignorant".

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 17, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

you people are delicious
Hate Criminals.
If it is a white woman,
anything goes,
if it is a half breed
male,
we must be politically
correct.

Posted by: USA3 | October 17, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

One really does get tired of the repeated insults that Gov. Palin has hurled at those of us she considers elite and unpatriotic or un-American - i.e., those of us who have college degrees, professional or managerial jobs, who are well traveled, well read, occasionally set foot in museum, theater or concert hall and who live either on the East or West coasts of our country and around the Great Lakes.

Well, this may come as a shock to Gov. Palin but we we work hard, we pay taxes too, we serve and die in our nation's military, the passports we hold are issued by the U.S. State Department, and many of us were born and raised in the cities and states of the U.S. that founded our country, and that makes us true Americans, too.

And as a true American, who understands and believes in the values of our Founding Fathers, I for one will take great pleasure and pride in voting to makesure that Gov. Palin stays in Alaska and John McCain rides off into the sunset back to Arizona.

I've had enough of these fake patriots.

Posted by: laSerenissima2003 | October 17, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

oh my gosh,
first Racism,
Now conspiracy theories.
you liberals need a new
oliver stone film.
Oh, a new one opens today,
go see it,
and wet your beds.
you people are the white oppressors
that Rev. Wright warned us about.

NONOBAMAMAMA08

Posted by: USA3 | October 17, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Putting aside the many legitimate reasons not to vote for McCain - free market extremism, Iraq, the Supreme Court - there is one overriding absolute that forbids any reasonable person to vote for him: Sarah Palin.

If you love your country and your children, you cannot - as many conservatives have realized - vote for her. She proudly ignorant, intellectually average, and prior to this campaign had no interest in any of the issues facing our country.

But there is still another reason not to support her. Her insistence that abortion must be outlawed even in cases of rape or incest.

This an abhorrent position that is far outside the mainstream. If you haven’t seen this ad featuring a young girl who became pregnant after being raped, you cannot put his in context.

Just watch:

Common decency forbids a vote for the McCain/Palin ticket.

Posted by: nahnopenotquite | October 17, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I get it, all too clearly. If you are not pro-war, if you try to think for yourself, you become anti-American in the eyes of Palin and her ilk. They love America, just not half of the people living in it. You know, the haters, the ones who live in cities.

On the bright side, it seems like most American voters have had enough of this kind of nonsense. If Palin persists in this, and stays popular, she will be leading republicans into the wilderness....

Posted by: spanky789 | October 17, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in Boston, now I live in Portland, OR. Am I less patriotic because I live and have lived in liberal cities? I was honorably discharged from the US Navy in May. I was stationed in San Diego, not exactly a small town. She has managed to deeply offend me with these ridiculous comments. How many other ways will she manage to be divisive?

Posted by: kevindel78 | October 17, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is a mental midget. Every time she opens her mouth she confirms that she's nowhere near qualified for the office John McCain so recklessly nominated her to. Which of course means that John McCain is nowhere near being qualified for the office the Republican party so recklessly nominated him to.

Posted by: norcalworm | October 17, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I AM SHOCKED!
THE WASHINGTON POST
ENDORSING OBAMA???
no, you must be kidding,
I thought after 13 months of
preaching about the greatest
candidate to ever write two
memoirs before doing anything
but smoking and drinking and
smoozing with liberal blowhards,
blow hards, get it, barack? haha...
we are so cute,
monica didnt have a clue,
you need the harvard law degree
and the preferred minority status,
And the skills...
monica only had the skills.
GoBama08!

Posted by: USA3 | October 17, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

ARE ROGUE ELEMENTS FROM WITHIN A DANGER TO OBAMA AND BIDEN AND DEMOCRACY ITSELF?

The McCain-Palin campaign has used official and unofficial invective to declare an open season on Sen. Obama. The threats issued by the rally crowds are now being denied in some quarters, such as The Drudge Report.

Congressional leaders should speak out and demand that the enforcers of the law of the land live up to their sworn oaths and fully investigate who is behind these threats.

CABINET SECRETARIES WITH AUTHORITY OVER U.S. SECURITY FORCES MUST TAKE ACTION FROM WITHIN...

THE DANGER IS THAT A ROGUE ELEMENT WITHIN THE SECURITY FORCES MAY BE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

WHAT IF McCAIN-PALIN'S STRATEGY IS AIMED NOT AT VOTERS, BUT AT THE APPARACHIK?

Posted by: scrivener50 | October 17, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope Gov. Palin would not be insulted if I were to say that the real patriotic American women are those who WEAR PANTSUITS, but that doesn't mean that those who wear skirts aren't also patriotic. I guess.

Posted by: boesc | October 17, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree Obama say's "Um" more than any politician I have seen. I am shocked that no one addresses it. But, Palin... she is the DEVIL and must be stopped.
Ok, so she is different from the extreme left so she must be EVIL. I have never seen people so scared of a woman in my life. Why the fear and hatred. They walk around and wear " Palin is a C@#T " T-Shirts. If I wore a Obama is a Richard Cranium T-Shirt I bet it would make national news and I'd be a racist.. of course I would nver wear one but you get the point.

Posted by: tbastian | October 17, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Right here in some parts of Texas, the Left Coast, and yes, even WASHINGTON D.C. they are "pro-America going the way of Sodom and Gomorrah."

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 17, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

When does the Washington Post print all of Obama's "um" and "ah" pauses? Oh yeah, that's right, never.

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 17, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse