Palin Says Couric Interviews Colored by Annoyance

CBS News anchor Katie Couric interviewed vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin on the campaign trail in Ohio on Sept. 29, 2008.

By Howard Kurtz
Sarah Palin, clearly pumped over her debate performance, has offered her first explanation for her less-than-stellar appearances with Katie Couric: She was ticked off.

"The Sarah Palin in those interviews was a little bit annoyed," the Alaska governor told Carl Cameron of Fox News today. "It's like, man, no matter what you say, you are going to get clobbered. If you choose to answer a question, you are going to get clobbered on the answer. If you choose to try to pivot and go to another subject that you believe that Americans want to hear about, you get clobbered for that, too."

The Couric questions that Palin could not answer, or chose not to answer, including one about what Supreme Court decisions she disagrees with other than Roe v. Wade, and another about what newspapers and magazines she reads.

"In those Katie Couric interviews," Palin said, "I did feel that there were lot of things that she was missing in terms of an opportunity to ask what a VP candidate stands for, what the values are, represented in our ticket." Those subjects, she explained, included Barack Obama's positions on taxes, spending and Afghanistan.

"So I guess I have to apologize for being a bit annoyed, but that's also an indication of being outside the Washington elite, outside of the media elite also," Palin said. "I just wanted to talk to Americans without the filter and let them know what we stand for."

The Fox interview may represent a new Palin media strategy of making her available to journalists and commentators deemed more sympathetic. Since the governor's widely panned interviews with CBS's Couric and ABC's Charlie Gibson, she has spoken to conservative radio hosts Sean Hannity and Hugh Hewitt.

By Web Politics Editor  |  October 3, 2008; 3:55 PM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Sarah Palin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama 'Glad' Financial Package Passed House
Next: Biden Speaks at Son's Deployment Ceremony

Comments

My take is that SP's very poor showing in the interviews was deliberate: it served the purpose of lowering everyone's expectations so much that she could make herself look a lot better during the debate than she actually is, and, in the process, lower the standards of the debate and the questions. Very sly tactics on her part... Now the GOP is using her "new" performance as proof that she is a quick learner and has the capacities to take on the VP job. A very good piece of hoodwinking!

What it comes down to is the GOP and McCain trying to convince the electorate that she's good because she's really NOT that dismal damsel of the interviews ... The fact of the matter is, though, that her "good" is still way below par of what is acceptable in a candidate.

Posted by: vs1123 | October 6, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Palin, stop blaming everyone else for your poor performance. Face it, you just don't have what it takes to be VP.

Posted by: WAT1 | October 5, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

The Republican Party will have to ask some serious questions of Sen. McCain after November 4, 2008.

I hope he has the courage to answer why he destroyed the GOP. As if George Bush was not enough of a liability to carry, Sen. McCain deemed it necessary to bring this dim witt out of Alaska for the ridicule of everybody.

It is not Sarah Palin who is not qualified to be POTUS. It is McCain who is not. The only executive decision he has made so far is not as bad as the decison to go to Iraq but if if it is a sample of what to expect.. America is in deep trouble. Likely the landslide to be consummated on November 4, 2008 will same this Country from disaster. God Bless America.

Posted by: Dawlish | October 5, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh, gee whiz. That Sarah ... made a little mistake again. Those interviews weren't colored by "annoyance" ... it was "ignorance." You betcha!

Posted by: Omyobama | October 5, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Well shucks, I will answer any question that I'm asked. As long as it's the one I know the answer to, goldernit. And please stop letting the truth get in the way of what I say or you'll all be sorry when I get to be in charge. Just check with Alaskan residents if you don't believe me.

Posted by: jgh2 | October 5, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Man, it's so annoying to be asked questions that I don't know the answers to. So annoying. Where I come from, back in Wasilla, I fired anyone who annoyed me.

Posted by: tsawyer_mv | October 5, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Palin's lucky that Tim Russert bought the ranch. He would have caused her to go into nukuler meltdown.

Posted by: SharptonVoter | October 5, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Why don't they save a lot of money and just send a tape recorded message to the interviews with all of her views on what the "people" really want to hear? After all SHE is Governor of Alaska, 2006 est. population 670,053. How many cities in the U.S. are larger than that? I hope Canada is prepared for the mass exodus if the Republicans win the election.

Posted by: jgh2 | October 5, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Gov Palin thinks she did well in the debates, but most of the comments assert that she used he folksiness to avoid the answers to the questions she did not know. So as a whole her debate repeated only the points stated at the GOP convention and the rest was in line with the questions from Ms. Couric - dumb and drummer.

Posted by: jrubin1 | October 5, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Is she going to be annoyed at questions from leaders from other states and go back to FOX NEWS and say boy are they annoying and I think we should just nuke them!

Posted by: jrubin1 | October 5, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

ShariLee, thanks for your two cents, although they seem to be colored by racism and ignorance.

Posted by: njrunner1 | October 5, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

My God! This woman lies with such regularity it's frightening. Has someone looked into her mental state?

Posted by: notbuyingit2 | October 5, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I had been wondering what Sarah Palin meant when she said her interviews had been "filtered" by the media. I am amazed that she apparently meant they asked her questions and she was expected to answer the questions she was asked. It sounds like she inteded to use the "interviews" as opportunities to give stump speeches.

Luckily, "the media" required her to answer the questions asked, unlike at the debate.

Posted by: paul49337 | October 5, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

There's already a mechanism by which candidates of any party or persuasion who want to "talk to Americans without the filter" can do so: produce your own ads and buy commercial time or ad space.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 5, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Palin is a tue danger to America. she combines all of George Bush's negative traits...traits that have had a very negative effect on this country. She is both stupid and ignorant as well as arrogant and fanatical. She is a bundle of cliches that she can barely verbalize. I cringe when I hear her talk. God only know what, if anything, is going on in her mind. In choosing her, McCain has raised in my mind some very serious questions about his professed patriotism...does he really think this moron is fit to step into the Presidency?

Posted by: Martin9 | October 5, 2008 6:00 AM | Report abuse

Can you imagine a Vice-President Palin or god-forbid a President Palin meeting Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin? "Vladimir - Can I call you Vladimir? Doggone it, why in tarnation would you attack Georgia? I know that Jimmy Carter lives there but they're still an honest to goodness gen-u-wine confederate state. C'mon, we'll trade ya Alaska for it." Or perhaps responding to a U.N. request for examples of Iranian transgressions - "Gee, I'll have to get some and bring 'em to ya".

No doubt the prospect of folksy, cute, likeable, cuddly Palin at the very top of the U.S. administration would have Ahmedinejad and other lunatic leaders around the world quivering in their boots. You betcha...

Posted by: Joe90 | October 5, 2008 2:31 AM | Report abuse

John McCain has a long track record of proving that he is an ALL AMERICAN person who is willing to fight for, die for and work for the United States of America. He is a man of integrity who has a long standing record of working hard for the values he believes in.

I do not believe he randomly chose Sara Palin to be his vice presidential running mate. I believe he chose Sara Palin after consulting with many other people, who like him, are ALL AMERICANS, and who value the freedoms and the privileges this country affords us all. And, I believe that the consensus of those opinions was to offer the position to Mrs. Palin because they found her eminently qualified to be Vice President and to become President if the worst should happen.

Open your eyes, folks! Have we gone so far off the track that we judge someone because they have a "folksy" approach instead of—What?? “Your Approach??” And, since when does “folksy” make you "unqualified” to be president? It seems to be that it was only a few, short years ago when our own President Ronald Regan, that "folksy" ex-actor, brought down the Berlin Wall and ended the cold-war!

Sarah Palin is the Governor of Alaska, for Pete’s sake! And she has been in that position for two years now. She has not just sat around playing politics in the Senate for the past few years----which in my opinion is just about all they do these days.

She was elected Mayor of her town and served in that capacity for two terms. After that, she did not sit around. She rolled up her sleeves and went to work on the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission. Now, as Governor of Alaska----she has been in an executive position making all the decisions necessary to govern the State of Alaska.

I am certain that her record is right out there for any of you so called critics to examine instead of spending your time trying to be cute with your ignorant statements about her. Why not try acting like grown ups for a change and really look into the records of both candidates with the seriousness this situation deserves instead of being a bunch of air-heads who find it easier to spout your obvious lack of intelligence by criticizing what you know nothing about.

Which brings me to another point: Now what exactly is it that qualifies Barak HUSSEIN Obama to be president of the United States??? Is sitting in a State Senate and later sitting in the US Senate for not quite three years SO MUCH MORE EXPERIENCE than BEING GOVERNOR OF AN ENTIRE STATE for the same period of time???? And also, has anyone bothered to wonder if his background has anything to do with why he wants to turn us into “the biggest loosers,” and get us out of the Middle East so bad? What are his motives? Is it better to sit in a church where the preacher DAMNS America than to sit in one where the entire church PRAYS for America? Why did it take Mr. Obama running for president to realize that maybe he was in the wrong church? How could he sit there for twenty years and listen to that garbage about the country of which he now wants to be president? Why are we all so willing to overlook his past affiliations? I wonder . . . hummmm . . .

By the way: 15 of our former presidents were senators before they became president, and 13 of our former presidents were governors before them became president. Sounds like a close race to me. Must be that both backgrounds qualify. Now, since both SENATOR McCain and GOVERNOR Palin are qualified, and since both SENATOR Obama and SENATOR Biden are qualified, I guess all we have to do is figure out which one REALLY believes in the values of the United States of America and is willing to put their neck, their life, their family and ours----and put all they have to offer on the line to do the job.

Posted by: ShariLee1 | October 4, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

the1doc, I see you're anxious to be heard on virtually all points.

Perhaps you could get a job putting together complete sentences for Gov. Palin's not otherwise scripted moments?

After all, her handlers are a bunch of guys who were paid fortunes by FNMA and FDMC. They could probably use an honest woman from the hills.

That is one thing they didn't get in Palin (Please note, she took tens of thousands from Alaska to stay in her home and did not report it as income).

Posted by: thaimex | October 4, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

She doesn't have a clue what a VP does...she wants more power that Cheney...heaven help us.....when she asked Joe Biden if she could call him Joe..he should have said only if I can call you Sarah......she had the one liner in her notes ....say it isn't so Joe...and she had to be able to use it....she is a joke...she memorizes like she was in high school.......she didn't even know what she was saying...just repeating....Couric's interview showed she is as dumb as a sack of hammers...

Posted by: randm8912 | October 4, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I personally think that the media and the American people are being too hard on Palin. She is a nice, REAL person from main street USA. We need someone in Washington who is different and I think she is a good fit. Just because she isn't an old, white male doesn't mean she can't help make a difference.

Posted by: ajs05 | October 4, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

MarkInAustin

Don't know if it was material that was cut or not, will have to see the next interview. See the website below for the column I read it in.

www.huffingtonpost.com/jerome-halligan/couric-to-palin-do-you-kn_b_130848.html

Couric to Palin: Do You Know We're Recording This?

Posted by: jean95404 | October 4, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

as a former PUMA I was mad at obama, but thanks to palin whining about katie soft ball question throwing couric asking what do you read to stay in tune with the world, and name a supreme court case other then roe v. wade obama is the man. Come on Hillary went thru hell, and stood firm. Winking 45 times really helped the folksy image but substance you don't have a clue girlfriend.

Posted by: r4147824 | October 4, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

jean95404, maybe I watched a different Katie Couric/Sarah Palin interview. When did "Lou Dobbs?" "Nightline?" come up?

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 4, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

moorpheus, rather than an "elite" I'd rather vote for someone I agree with, with principles like Ronald Reagan. Sarah Palin is Ronald Reagan. Be scared, be very scared!

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 4, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin attended five different colleges/universities to obtain her degree in journalism...yet when asked what newspapers or magazines she reads to stay up to date on current events she queries to Katie Couric, "Lou Dobbs?" "Nightline?" She cannot differintiate between print and television? It seems clear that she doesn't even watch television news.

Bluff, bluster and regurgitation of memorized talking points.

She probably is a nice enough person, but I want a person who can process a variet of concepts and information to develop intelligent and informed decisions. I just don't see her having this capability.

Posted by: jean95404 | October 4, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Palin was clearly annoyed when Couric asked the question about what newspapers she reads. Palin joined the McCain campaign to make a difference for America--the America where people are losing there homes, the America where the elderly have to chose between buying medicine or food,the America that brave men and women are risking their lives to defend.

Instead Palin had been shut away for weeks getting drilled in 'new-clear' vs. 'nu-cu-lar'. No wonder she was annoyed. More likely she was mad as, um, the dickens.

The irony of it all is that it had nothing to do with Katie Couric. She wanted to help the country understand Palin.

well, the new-clear/nu-cu-lar drills seem to be over now, Palin has taken charge of the VP campaign (Hurrah!) and Couric made an important contribution to the change. Thanks, Katie.

Posted by: newton11 | October 4, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I am a smart cookie. Very smart. Quick. Sharp. I make decisions every day--good decisions that affect the lives of many in a positive way. I have good judgment. I would be an asset to any administration or politician who shares my values (which, of course, are the correct values in the world according to me).

However smart I am, I do NOT feel that I should be Vice President or President.

Although I am not a ditch digger, a hotel housekeeper, or a movie celebrity, I AM NOT the Washington Elite.

But, when I vote for a politician, I want him/her to be far superior to me in experience, knowledge, education, and connections. I want him/her to be a negotiator sine qua non, and to be much more insightful than I am. I want him/her to have capabilities that far exceed my own.

In other words, I WANT someone with an elite education, ability, and judgment. If they live in Washington, DC and have learned to deal with the legislative process and foreign affairs, so much the better.

I don't think that I should be in line to be President. I think I should be limited to share my views with politicians for them to evaluate, but, although my background is, in many ways, seemingly better than Ms. Palin's, it doesn't mean that I, or my friends, should be within reach of world leadership.

As for Sarah, I think she's best qualified for acting or entertainment, and I don't trust her judgment one whit!

Give me someone who is elite, PLEASE!

Posted by: moorpheus | October 4, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

My ex-husband explained to me why he lied about even insignificant things, like "what time is it?"

He said it was my fault, because I asked him questions! He claimed that if I didn't ask him anything, he wouldn't have to lie.

Palin seems to share that view. Perhaps it is the one that works in the minds of all pathological liars.

Posted by: moorpheus | October 4, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Senator McCain's choice of Sarah Palin as the most qualified person he could think of for Vice President suggests that were he to be elected President, we should look forward to a cabinet selected from people that would make the Three Stooges look like Harvard graduates.

Posted by: Joe90 | October 4, 2008 5:30 AM | Report abuse

Darn right, we everyday Americans (not to be confused with every other day types) do NOT like interviews with questions. Give us unfiltered, you betcha.

Posted by: mnjam | October 4, 2008 2:56 AM | Report abuse

So if I understand Palin correctly she was annoyed because the interview consisted of...questions?

Posted by: MarcMyWords | October 4, 2008 2:27 AM | Report abuse

Wow!!

Whe she's annoyed, her brain stops working!!!

Thank heavens - and I thought she was just an idiot!!!! She is actually brilliant!!!!!

Posted by: T-Prop | October 4, 2008 2:24 AM | Report abuse

She's dumber than a moose.

The Palin-McCain ticket has helped me shed all guilt for my decision to vote for a Democrat for the first time ever.

Posted by: ScoutieDog | October 4, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

I am impressed by Palin's ability to memorize apparently a large amount of information and regurgitate back with such a fluidity.
Many would love her ability and I am certain she makes a terrific advocate for whatever product/issues she wants to push. However her skill and ability is only part of the qualification to lead the freeworld.
She and Pres. Bush are the ones I'd love to mingle with at a BBQ though ! They are just so folksy and fun !

Posted by: myfiloli | October 3, 2008 6:14 PM

The only thing she can not do is answer a question. She is honest about it. I think you should enjoy her and Mr Bush and leave the governing to those who know what they are doing. We will all be better off.

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 4, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

America needs to open its eyes to the idiotic choice that is Sarah Palin. If McCain is elected and something happens to him, then Palin (gulp) will be running our country! If that is not chilling and scares the doo-doo out of you, then, you betcha' I gotta (wink-wink) bridge to sell ya.

She is putting some spin on her poor performance. Ohh, maybe she can be a dee-jay! Yeah, DJ Palin in dee house. I want to send a shout out to all my homies in Alaska! God help us. I don't know how people can say, with a straight face mind you, that this poor excuse for a candidate is reading for the number 2 position in our country. And what the heck does she know about the economic woes we are seeing in the lower 48 when her state is flush with oil money, so much that she can give her folks over a thousand dollars a year in a rebate check! Yes, indeed she is a Washington outsider..she is outside of lower 48 states and out of touch with what we are dealing with here. She likes to make reference to six pack Joe and such, but we have had a six pack Joe runnin' our country for the past 8 years and look at where we are now! No more six pack Joe! Six pack Joe is drunk at the wheel! And for all of you out there who try to claim that she is ready at day one.......WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?

Posted by: calalum | October 4, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Poor sarah palin. I'm sure all the independent woman agree with you. Wink wink. Stick to talking points couric question does not compute wink wink.

Posted by: r4147824 | October 4, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Ohioan:

Republicans make excuses for their behavior because of their inability to control their emotions. John McCain is angry so he won't look at Obama. Sarah Palin gets annoyed and pouts.

Are these people that should be running the country?
What's your take Ohioan? Or do you prefer you candidates emotionally labile.

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 4, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Couric annoys many people. She has an edge to her that makes people uncomfortable.
Palin is the only candidate who really represents "change". Palin walks the talk, she's already done the things that Obama and Biden talk about doing. McCain and Palin are an amazing team, and Americans need to open their eyes before its too late.

Posted by: ohioan | October 3, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

ahah...a pun...touche...a master baiter indeed.

another assumption on your part, however, when you address me as "sir"

sincerely,

your fellow hillbilly (and proud of it)

Posted by: the1doc | October 3, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Let us all not forget the education of Sarah Palin. It took her six years of study to learn and earn a degree in jurnalism and communications and then be an experienced local sportscaster. She was educated on how to put on the show, that she does. She reminds me of Ted Baxter, played by Ted Knight, the overbearing, pompous anchorman for the fictitous station WJM-TV in Minneapolis from the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Posted by: roblvrty8 | October 3, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

@ the1doc:

"I wasn't JOKING, I was BAITING."

Then sir, may I say that you are a master baiter, and I apologize for not immediately recognizing your brilliance. Just one little thing -- you are assuming I am an Obama supporter, when I am actually an undecided voter.

Posted by: SextusEmpiricus | October 3, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

"Ah, yes, the ever popular, "I was just making a joke" defense. [Bomb, bomb, bomb .. bomb, bomb Iran..."]"

Answer: no, I wasn't JOKING, I was BAITING. and you swallowed the bait. does it taste as good as the obama koolaid?

Posted by: the1doc | October 3, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

@ the1doc:
"GLAD YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THE HYPOCRISY OF IT ALL!! Thanks for taking the BAIT and helping me demonstrate my POINT."

Posted by: SextusEmpiricus | October 3, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

"Excuse me, Doc, but I am from eastern Kentucky, in the heart of Appalachia. Please explain why sexism is anathema but it's acceptable to make ethnocentrist slurs about working class white people living in the Southern Highlands?"

Posted by: the1doc | October 3, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

"the1doc, did you notice how Gov. Palin obfuscated questions left and right?"

answer: i noticed this on BOTH sides...just because someone who has been an insider for 30+ years knows how to play "the game" more efficiently and can evade questions more effectively does not make said person less evasive.

"Did you hear Gov. Palin butcher the word "nuclear" a la Dubya's "new-que-la"?"

answer: this is what our decision making has been reduced to? i HATED Dubya as a president, but fortunately I had the ability to form my opinions on more substantive qualities or lack thereof.

"Did you hear Gov. Palin try (and failed) to bait Senator Biden? Did you hear her rattle nothing more than "rah-rah" responses to questions that were crammed into her by the McCain handlers?"

answer: again, for those capable of seeing through the politics, this was going on with both sides. Biden did plenty of baiting...plenty of regurgitation...

"How is this for an elevation of the discussion around this inept nincompoop? Better? Good"

answer: no. not really. how does the obama koolaid taste? does it taste the same to a sexist pig as it does to a racist pig? i can only wonder....

"I'll bet you McCain wished he had pick Lieberman, Pawlenty or Romney now!"

answer: I'll bet you are making plenty of assumptions when you assume that i am a supporter of McCain...i MIGHT be an undecided voter who is DISGUSTED with the level of sexism so apparent among the obama elite.

Posted by: the1doc | October 3, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I want my president to be able to skin and gut a moose in the middle of an Alaskan winter, yeah baby! Do you think Putin and Amadinejan care about field-dressing critters when they think there's a whole world to conquer and bend it to their wills? Do you think seeing the moon from your home makes you a NASA flight engineer? I mean, Palin says she can see Russia. This governor is devoid of intellectual reflection and curiosity with a very myopic worldview. Thanks but no thanks to that bridge to nowhere! Obama/Biden for me!

Posted by: meldupree | October 3, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

She's annoyed with the press? I'm sorry, when did she become royalty?

And why in the world should we care about her annoyance?

She is asking us to vote for her; I don't suppose she could deign to give us an insight into her thinking?

Oh, there's nothing there except pique. Guess that's what those winks were for.

Posted by: thaimex | October 3, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

@ 1doc:
"Take the time to read through some of these posts and see the multitude of sexist comments here ... think about elevating the level of discussion to something more than elitist hillbillyisms."

Posted by: SextusEmpiricus | October 3, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Texan2007, I fear she might indeed be mainstream America, which is why the rest of the world thinks we are idiots. Go write in Bush, that's who you really want.

Posted by: obags | October 3, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin can't speak for herself half the time, much less speak for me.... or all women.... or all Americans. Of course she did ok last night. Hyped because she did "so so" in a debate by dodging questions, dancing around issues, reading/speaking from practiced scripts and smiling (not so genuine). I'm a former beauty queen as well so I know all about charm, fake smiles and presence. As a small business owner and single mother, I do not want McCain/Palin leading my country or my daughters future in their hands.

I'm shocked she got as far as she did in Alaska. We'll see what happens there when she returns after losing this race.

Posted by: jess71 | October 3, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

What does Sarah Palin expect? Katie Couric is an entertainer on a news anchor's seat--she is incapable of hard news. Anyone who wants to refute this fact should go back to the clip where Couric tried to put the words economic depression into Palin's mouth and then told McCain that those were Palin's words. The liberal media don't just give Biden a free-ride on gaffes. They cover for Couric and Gibson's too on his Bush doctrine gaffe--Charles Krauthammer calls that debacle Charles Gibson's gaffe.

Posted by: JP15 | October 3, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

It is amazing how many left wing zealots read the Washington Post. They are so used to reading and hearing the lies of the members of congress and the liberal media that they all flail about when an honest well spoken natural born American like Governor Sarah Palin comes along. Many of the responders to this column live in the concrete jungle of a city or the patchwork suburbs among crime ridden streets that they can't understand how a free American thinks. Sarah Palin knows how to survive in a harsh climate and against strong odds. City people have a hard time surviving a day without electricity. Governor Palin knows more about life than most of you will ever know. She is so honest it scares you. In this discussion, it seems most of the respondents are anxious to vote for the illegitimate son of an African drunk and an ultra liberal flower child. You condemn Sarah for every little thing, but ignore Biden lieing 11 times in the debate. Sarah was kind enough not to bring up the fact that Barak Obama is so stupid he said he visited all 57 states. Neither did she bring up Biden stating that Franklin Roosevelt was president in 1929 and went on TV to calm the nation about the depression. Do you think that is an educated man worthy of being a vice president? Since TV wasn't even invented, and Hoover was president, Biden was grossly wrong on both counts. My eleven year old grandson caught that gaffe.I am so proud there are people like Sarah Palin left in this world, just too few of them. I support her 100% and pray for her success every day. As a veteran, I would be proud to serve with her as commander in chief.

Posted by: Montani42 | October 3, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

the1doc, did you notice how Gov. Palin obfuscated questions left and right? Did you hear Gov. Palin butcher the word "nuclear" a la Dubya's "new-que-la"? Did you hear Gov. Palin try (and failed) to bait Senator Biden? Did you hear her rattle nothing more than "rah-rah" responses to questions that were crammed into her by the McCain handlers? How is this for an elevation of the discussion around this inept nincompoop? Better? Good!

I'll bet you McCain wished he had pick Lieberman, Pawlenty or Romney now!

Posted by: meldupree | October 3, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

And the sexism continues from the drinkers of Obama Koolaid....drink up...and soon we'll be cracking racist jokes....

Posted by: the1doc | October 3, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Come on people - Palin clearly won the "debate" - all she had to do was not crap her pants up there.

Posted by: fixed_is_good | October 3, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't make sense:

If you don't answer the question, you're going to get clobbered. So if your're going to get clobbered no matter what you do, why not answer the question and take a stand for being clobbered. Isn't that what we expect in our leaders, to be accountable for their actions and rhetoric?

Posted by: papaedde | October 3, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

The RepubliCANT's give us a gimmick VP choice with potentially devasating consequences for America. Sarah Palin is clearly a charming, church going, family-first orientated American Mom (hint, there are 100+ million American women that fit this description). BUT...Palin's "girl next door" qualities do NOT qualify her for the position of the 2nd most powerful person in the free world!

Read this piece from newsweek and make you're own judgement.

Posted by: time4change | October 3, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm so embarrassed & ashamed for the people of Alaska. Having the laughing stock of the nation as your governor must really sting. I remember thinking the Governator was bad...she makes him look like a brain surgeon.

Posted by: balancedfair | October 3, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Gov. Palin, that is some of the most lazy, thoughtless, sad piece of an excuse I ever heard from a person who is running for high office. You're whiny attempt to evoke sympathy stands as pathetic and a setback to much more competent women (your bar is indeed low). Can't wait for you to stop hiding behind some lame excuse, but come 4 November 2008, it will (as you and MacDaddy) be a moot point! OBAMA/BIDEN in 31 days and counting!!!

Posted by: meldupree | October 3, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Attention Obama supporters:

Take the time to read through some of these posts and see the multitude of sexist comments here, all which are directed toward Palin. Before you join the herd, think about elevating the level of discussion to something more than elitist hillbillyisms.

Posted by: the1doc | October 3, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

haha "annoyance" is an excuse for incoherency or a lack of knowledge? Im not even American and I can name an American newspaper and a supreme court ruling I disagree with. Come on people, at least elect someone to the job who knows and sounds like they know what they are doing. Or the rest of the world will look at it as a joke.

Posted by: lkaynt | October 3, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Palin is *annoyed* when, as a candidate for Vice-President of the United States, she's asked about decisions of the US Supreme court or about her own sources of information?

One can almost imagine her saying, "None of your gosh-darn business, you tin-horn elitist! What I think of the Supreme Court is my little ol' business."

Posted by: dogmo | October 3, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Clearly, the Obama supporters have more class than Palin. Memorable quotes from the most recent posts here:

"Sarah Palin is the biggest "Bullsh_tter" I have ever seen in political office."

My response: Clearly, you haven't been following politics for more than three days.

"So then Sarah girl..."

My response: and the equivolent of this is, "So then, Obama___?..." this type of speech isn't offensive to any of the obama koolaid drinkers here? Sexism much?

"GOLLY GEE KATIE, YU KNOW I'M JUST A DUMB CLUTZ FROM THE GREAT WHITE NORTH, oops thats Canada, well you know next to Russia."

My response: Really? This type of stereotyping is beneficial...how? Oh...I get it, you were being sarcastic...like a KKK member making a black joke, but being sarcastic while doing it...neat.

"Last but not the least, Sarah, dear ol' gal pal, I feel the winking last night was a little cheesy. Just show some cleavage next time. Now that's sexy"

My response: Sexism = Racism? If yes, then let's start busting a few Obama jokes. If no, then let's continue being sexist.

"When a patient comes in to the Emergency Room with an overdose, at least I can now save the hospital the cost of the ipecac; all we need to do is let the patient listen to Palin, & they'll vomit promptly."

My response: As a physician, I find your comments inappropriate and absurd. Perhaps, if you witnessed a few more ODs in a big Chicago hospital, you'd feel the same way. Drink up on the Obama Koolaid - just don't OD.

"she speaks like a 6th grade dropout."

My response: which makes you, what, a second grader?

" We want an intelligent, knowing vice president, not just someone the 6-beer boys call a VPILF."

My response: my time in a busy Chicago ER has provided me with an education on 6-beer boy slang. Let's see..."MILF" is a "mom i'd like to F"...so "VPILF" must stand for a...Vice President you'd like to....what? Seriously, if someone logged onto this outrageously SLANTED board and starting cracking racial jokes, people would start doing number twos in their pants. Yet the Obama Koolaid drinkers can throw out sexist jokes, and because it is politically justified, the others ignore it. Show some class.

Posted by: the1doc | October 3, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see if the Alaskan legislature impeaches her once her little foray into the national spotlight is over and she has to answer to the "Troopergate" charges. You betcha! >

Posted by: IncarcerateCheney | October 3, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Uhhhh...

She gets ticked off when people ask questions?

EASY questions that most people here on The Trail could answer without breaking a sweat?

I'm sold! Lets elect her!

Posted by: JohnQuimby | October 3, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

AFTER THE BLATANT AND STUNNING SEXISM LAUNCHED AGAINST THE HILLARY CLINTON PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN by Barack Hussein Obama and the liberal media, democratic Hillary supporters were thrilled to hear John McCain announce Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, because, she offers Americans a chance to vote for someone who is her own woman, and who represents a party that, while we don't agree on all the issues, at least respects women enough to take them seriously.

HAVING A WOMAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE, AND NOT AS THE SPOUSE, IS A CHANGE WHOSE TIME HAS COME, despite the fact that the media and Democratic Party leaders have decided otherwise. But with the Sarah Palin’s nomination, Clinton voters, in particular, have received a political wake-up call they never expected. Having watched their candidate and their principles betrayed by the very people who are supposed to be the flame-holders for equal rights and fairness, they now looking across the aisle and see a woman who represents everything the feminist movement claimed it stood for. Women can have a family and a career.

THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY’S BULLYING OF THE CLINTON CANDIDACY DURING THE PRIMARY SEASON WAS THE FIRST REVELATION OF HOW MISOGYNISTIC AND SEXIST THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY HAS BECOME. The democratic party has moved from taking the female vote for granted to outright contempt for women. That's why Sarah Palin represents the most serious conservative threat ever to the modern democratic liberal claim on issues of male cultural and social superiority.
THE TIME IS NOW FOR A WOMAN TO BE IN THE WHITE HOUSE AS AN EQUAL PARTNER IN GOVERNANCE.

COUNTRY FIRST! McCain/Palin

Posted by: Manolete | October 3, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

@ transatlantic7:

"Katie Couric is just a shill for the corporate media... (she) is too stupid, or CORRUPT, to ask a SINGLE QUESTION about why Governor Palin is the most popular governor in the country."

So if I parse your assertion correctly, you are saying that Katie should have asked the Church Lady, "Why are you the most popular governor in the country?" (Which, BTW, "Sarah, Palin and Tall," is no longer.)

That, my friend, is known in the industry as a softball, the type of question that only a TRUE shill (e.g. Sean Hannity) would ask. And only a shill would claim otherwise.

Posted by: SextusEmpiricus | October 3, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me? She can't talk straight when she's ticked? She and McCain have serious anger management issues.

I sure don't want her answering the phone at 3 a.m.

Posted by: smalltowngirl1 | October 3, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, Sarah Palin thinks her performance last night allows her to explain why her performance in the interviews was so pathetic. Come on, her performance wasn't that good. She just didn't make any really dumb errors.

When you keep repeating sound bites for an hour and a half and refuse to answer the questions posed, you're not going to make a big "mistake" in a debate. That doesn't mean you did well...

I think it's a very sad day when we're presented with her as one of the two main choices to be "a heartbeat away" from the Presidency. What is happening to this country that we all love?

Posted by: plapfamly | October 3, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

"If you choose to answer a question, you are going to get clobbered on the answer. If you choose to try to pivot and go to another subject that you believe that Americans want to hear about, you get clobbered for that, too."

What? So, it wasn't that she didn't KNOW what papers she reads, it's that she would be afraid to telling us? What do we not know, here?

Posted by: fake1 | October 3, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Palin didn't make a complete fool of herself again - that performance standard alone tells it all. She repeated the text they prepped her with, not being capable of adding anything more to the debate but the usual clichés about being Joe Six Pack, a Maverick, and a hockey mom. People that support her because she is similarly uninformed must ask themselves if they are ready for the White House too. What an absurd measure of leadership. She never once offered any policy differences between McCain Palin and Bush. Biden , on the other hand, pressed the attack with clear policy statements, and facts - mostly correct.. The differences between candidates were stark, one seasoned and knowledgeable, the other a wind-up Pit Bull with Lipstick who hasn't a clue about how poorly prepared she really is. In this regard, more than 2700 concerned medical doctors placed a full page add in the New York Times today asking for McCain's full medical report in light of his bout with highly lethal invasive melanoma. The unobstructed release of this report for expert review is more critical than ever.

Posted by: jeffl240 | October 3, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

So, when annoyed, she babbles incoherently and is unable to answer simple questions? What a wonderful trait for the second most powerful person in the world to have. I'm sure it will help her sway foreign officials, recalcitrant legislators, state governors, and business leaders.

If she can't keep from getting annoyed by a rather friendly interviewer, and can't keep that annoyance separate from her cognition, she has no business being a governor, let alone running for VP.

Posted by: thouis | October 3, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Spending the next month interviewing on Faux News isn't going to win a single independent vote for the McCain ticket. She's become nothing but a liability for them so the most they can hope for is to keep her hidden on the fake news station and maybe drum up one or two more "American Idol" voters on election day.

Posted by: JLF1200 | October 3, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I was pleasantly surprised at how well Governor Palin did in the debate. She and Biden both are outstanding Americans. Why do we have to make our people losers? Has anyone been reading the foreign press regarding the fall of America, recently? Even Russia is getting in the act. If we don't start standing together a little better, maybe I am watching the fall of America, as the rest of the world sees it. Hopefully we can pull together and redeem ourselves in the eyes of the world. Of course, we can continue on this slippery slope of cut-throat-anything-goes campaigning for years on end and we can all watch the destruction of the greatest country on earth. What a legacy for our children, huh?

Posted by: desertcactus | October 3, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

tjirish34 - I have to agree. She's playing a little political sleight of hand. What's funny to me is that she invents a new cause for her stumbling: frustration. She was just trying to get her message out, but that elitist Couric (and those elitists in Washington) are frustrating her. Right. It is exactly this kind of garbage that contributes to their ever-falling poll numbers.

Posted by: LanceZ | October 3, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't buy Palin's excuses at all.

She really thinks she'd get clobbered for saying she reads the NYT, WSJ, and the Economist?

Sorry, but I'm not buying that. Palin's interview - and debate - technique appears to be the classic "If you haven't prepared an answer, don't say anything specific."

So I'm sure she is annoyed when someone asks her a question she hasn't prepared for - but that's a problem on her end, not the interviewer's, and not the media's.

Posted by: aengil | October 3, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Poor Palin. Annoyed=Can't think? And she wants to be a free world leader? How very, very sad.

Posted by: jlp2 | October 3, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is the biggest "Bullsh_tter" I have ever seen in political office. I wil be amused by her after McCain loses. I totaly "GET" why she has made it to where she is today. Sarah caters to a certain demographic (hence her exremist views). It's partly an act. Her folksiness, joe six pack persona, the glasses, the hairstyle, the subtle flirting when she is pinned into a corner. In that way she is a good poitician. It disarms her critics and enhances her supporters. However reading comments it's clear her GOP supporters think Sarah is a female Reagan. The difference is Reagan was genuine and as I said above Sarah is partly fake. You don't think she knows how she actts infuriates her critics. That's why if you noticed someone like Bill Clinton and others have talked about Sarah being a grreat politician. They get it! They all recognize for Sarah it is an effective demeanor. What's interesting is Sarah is exactly what the Obama critics accuse Obama of being... "An empty suit." Obama is no empty suit. But if you want to see what an empty suit looks like. Look no further then at Sarah Palin.

Posted by: tjirish34 | October 3, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Joe Biden won this debate hands down. He answered all the questions very thoroughly and with confidence and intelligence.
Sarah Palin never really answered the questions and instead kept talking about energy continuously. She never described nor outlined any of McCain's plans for Iraq, the economy, healthcare, social security etc. but just kept spouting out cutesy comments and remarks.
Sarah Palin tries so hard to appear to be just an average American "Joe" but if you actually read her and McCain's agenda and position on the issues you'll see that rather than working for the average middle-class American that they're instead helping the large money making oil and gas companies and the wealthiest American citizens. That's what I find very disturbing.

Posted by: scout_march16 | October 3, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

She's begging CBS to release the entire uncut footage, isn't she? I wish they would.

Posted by: Charlene-K | October 3, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

let's see, she doesn't like normal interviews because you sort of have to answer the questions the interviewer asks. that's what I thought an interview was. if you want to talk about something else, don't agree to an interview, give a speech.

so she now does canned prescripted infomercials with Hannity? what a joke. that's not an interview when you give him the questions you like, or worse yet, he probably suggests the questions and the answers and she practices them on tape til they are both happy

Posted by: JoeT1 | October 3, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Palin misses the point that as we enter the last days of the campaign that voters are concerned with specifics....not letting us know what she stands for or her values......she missed the last 18 months of the campaign.....all of that stuff has already been covered. So then Sarah girl....if you're gonna convince anyone to vote for you.....you're gonna have to give us facts not values.

Posted by: stevebailey1 | October 3, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

So, let's see... Palin wants to be able to respond to questions as she pleases, without being challenged on whether her answers are truthful or make any sense, and to be able to "pivot" to other topics at will, regardless of what she's being asked. It seems to me that she's not looking for an interview, she's looking for a campaign ad... for free. Good for Couric to conduct a real interview and not grant Palin a free McCain infomercial!

Furthermore, I think other commenters are on the money in writing that if Palin can't handle an interview with Couric, then there's no way that the Governor could be expected to deal with foreign leaders. McCain claims to look to President Truman for inspiration. If so, perhaps he should tell Palin that if she can't stand the heat, she needs to stay out of the proverbial kitchen. If she can't deal with something as basic as an interview, she shouldn't be on the ticket.

By the way, I'd be willing to wager that transatlantic7 is a paid staffer of the McCain campaign!

Posted by: russms | October 3, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

transatlantic7(very peculiar handle for such a Red State comment)

The point of Couric's questioning was to allow Palin an opportunity to show she had the breadth and wisdom to be president, i.e. that she understood the issues facing the United States and had a political philosophy that enabled her to choose amongst the competing responses.

This is a totally legitimate line of questioning for such an obscure person elevated to the brink of national office. If she had actually thought about political issues beyond her realm, she could have knocked them out of the park.

However, Palin responded as if she were taking a foreign language test and had time enough only to memorize the words but didn't have a clue how to use the words to construct sentences.

Posted by: kate545 | October 3, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Sarah didn't do well with Couric cause she forgot her CLIFF NOTES!

Posted by: kentaylor1 | October 3, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

What's the difference between a hockey mom and a parrot?
A parrot only takes a couple of days to learn to repeat what it hears.

Posted by: cuff | October 3, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree she's a true American gal and a hockey-mom. Guess what, I want her to stay that way and not hold the 2nd highest post in America. I sympathize with her too. I'm sure when u're being pumped in with all the info and getting that crash course in the national politics (as opposed to Alaskan politics) u're way too busy to go over any newspapers. I hardly read any newspapers and get most of my news online. Matter of fact, I don't think I can name any newspapers myself, except for the USA today, NY daily, ny times, washington post, chicago tribune, wall street journal.... Gosh! did I just spell out them names? Well I'll be damned.
But u have all the right to be annoyed Sarah. The last time I couldn't answer what "2+2" equals in my maths exam I was so annoyed I wanted to punch myself in the throat. Guess what I did? I went to my tutor, got the answer and read it out to my teacher, in the face! What I got back was a good ol' pat on the back. Felt so good. um. um. um....
So what if u didn't do so good with Katie Couric and Gibson and couldn't name a couple of supreme court cases. You did great in Fox news with your excuses, and that's what it matters. It's not your fault your advisers and coaches taught you about Obama's tax cuts and position on war, while they left out the basics. I know how much u wanted to talk on those topics while you were being clobbered with all the junk that u had no idea about whatsoever. It's ok to be ignorant about the nitty gritty's of politics but have high aspirations at the same time. We've already had almost 8 years of that. It's about time we had another 4.
I learned a few things from the Carl Cameron interview. I should study howsoever I want to study for my exams. It's not my fault the teacher asks questions I can't answer. I can always reserve my right not to answer them, I believe that is the 5th amendment. And if he he still chooses to do so, he should learn from someone like Cameron. Just let me know what the questions are gonna be, everybody's happy. Bada bing... bada boom.... Man, I already feel I'm gonna ace my next midterm.
Last but not the least, Sarah, dear ol' gal pal, I feel the winking last night was a little cheesy. Just show some cleavage next time. Now that's sexy.

Posted by: jason420 | October 3, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

So, our dear brilliant friend Sarah thinks that she can excuse her lack of knowledge, understanding, intelligence, or ability to think or speak in coherent English on the basis of being "a little annoyed." Sorry, nice try. Did it ever occur to this specimen of the finest the GOP has to offer that people have to deal with emotions every day, and most healthy people manage to do so without becoming an idiot? Of course, it is widely recognized that McCain has a big problem with anger management, so maybe this is what he meant when he described her as his soulmate even though he barely knew her. In any event, this lame excuse for a VP candidate just gave us a lame excuse for her incompetence. She didn't fool anybody. No one except a rabid GOP partisan who lives in state of total denial would take seriously anything this nitwit says. When a patient comes in to the Emergency Room with an overdose, at least I can now save the hospital the cost of the ipecac; all we need to do is let the patient listen to Palin, & they'll vomit promptly. Thanks, Sarah!

Posted by: DoctorB | October 3, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

So I guess it would be cute and folksy if Obama uses words like "Yo" and "word up" in his debates? Since when has slang and poor english become representative of the United States citizens. Thanks Palin for trying to lower the bar for all of us. Oh and by the way, if she is the real "Main St. USA" does that mean she lives in a town where everyone shops at Wal-Mart and has a boarded up "main st" down the road from it?

Posted by: joecaseofbeer | October 3, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Had Ifill actually asked Palin follow-up questions, we would have clearly seen the deer-in-the-headlights look we saw in the Couric interviews again. Palin didn't answer the questions last night, and couldn't answer them for Couric. When you are the person being interviewed, you don't get to call the shots. You answer the damned question and no, you don't get to pose your own. What an incredible sense of entitlement this woman has. Her cutesie-pie act is insulting to women and her constant reference to Joe 6-pack, haaackey maaams and saaaacer maaams and middle class America should be insulting to anyone. And make no mistake--it was an act. She used no accent during 75% of her presentation, but it suddenly came out when trying to appeal with all of you she thinks are too stupid to actually learn about issues. Wink-wink, golly-gosh-darn, maverick, reform, reform, maverick. She spoke down to Americans and basically said we should vote for her ticket because she's just so darn cute and just like you. Please. Her and Taaaaddd make over $250K per year and have $1 mill+ in assets. They are NOT middle class. Most of us can't afford designers suits and several pairs of $400 eyeglasses. If I had been interviewing this woman for a job I would have tossed her resume into the trash can if she answered my interview questions like she answered Ifill and Couric.

Posted by: renee99503 | October 3, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: myfiloli | October 3, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joecaseofbeer | October 3, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Confidence and the ability to relate to people are good human traits but not quite enough to show capability to be one of the leaders of our country.
She has proven to be a compelling public speaker when prepared (although lacking in depth of knowledge and information) but as of yet has not proven to be able to handle imprompto questioning which she needs to be able to do.

Posted by: be_extreme | October 3, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

So, basically Palin got annoyed with media biases. Who can blame her for that?

Posted by: aliciamarieb | October 3, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Palin was far superior to Biden. I was impressed with her restraint for not pointing out that after all Biden's time in politics (26-35 years depending on which network)he can't say anything *good* about his work for "his neighborhood." He mentioned the people of his town and how they were hurting too. Palin spoke of how she helped her neighborhood in her terms as Mayor. After 30+ years, Biden's *home* is still hurting. That says a lot. If he hasn't made a difference in Scranton, how can you expect him to make a difference country wide. Wake up, Democrats. Vote McCain/Palin 08.

Posted by: Tessa41 | October 3, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

LMAO--see, this is exactly what I told my husband after last night was going to happen. She didn't suck entirely, but just barely passed, just slid her slimy little self on thru the cracks to enough daylight....But somehow got the mistaken impression that she can "go backwards...say it aint so, Sarah" on her Couric interviews.
Play to your base, slimy Sarah...and hell no, Sarah doesn't speak for me. I speak for myself, I don't need to be programmed.

Posted by: SYWanda | October 3, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

So Palin is playing the self-pity card? An intelligent high schooler could have done better in the Couric interviews -- Palin is just making excuses.

Posted by: PaulSunstone | October 3, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Poor thing. She wanted to be able to just tell everyone what John McCain has told her to say, not to have to deal with questions that made her think for herself.

How dare they make her look bad by forcing her (or should I say trying to get her to) to think.

It's all their fault...stupid elitist thinking people.

Posted by: XMEE | October 3, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I tried to be objective watching the debate last night. I wanted to give Palin a chance to redeem herself. Unfortunately she made that impossible. In addition to her lack of knowledge is her claim that she is your typical middle class everyday joe sixpack hockey mom. Her assets are reported at over 1 million dollars. Thats middle class? Since when? I cringe to think of her in an important meeting with..well anyone or trying to get a piece of legislation passed. I can just hear her now - "come on guys, lets just git er done. Then we can talk about energy. Ya know, i'm an expert on energy". Scary

Posted by: ColoradoGal | October 3, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Talk about the blame game. She didn't know what a VP did (just joking, haha), she apparently doesn't read or she would know what she had read, she speaks like a 6th grade dropout & she refuses to answer question... she must be annoyed all the time. Imagine her mad, egads!
She reminds me of the SNL skit with the pouty girl in the oversized chair holding an oversized lollypop.

Posted by: pjc2 | October 3, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"Palin "bridge to nowhere" line angers many Alaskans"

"When she was running for governor in 2006, Palin said she was insulted by the term "bridge to nowhere," according to Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein, a Democrat, and Mike Elerding, a Republican who was Palin's campaign coordinator in the southeast Alaska city.

"People are learning that she pandered to us by saying, I'm for this' ... and then when she found it was politically advantageous for her nationally, abruptly she starts using the very term that she said was insulting," Weinstein said."

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 3, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

If Katie Couric pisses her off, how is she ever going to deal effectively with meeting heads of state? We need someone who is calm and smart representing us, that would negate a McCain/Palin presidency. Please God no, we have suffered enough for the past 8 years.

Posted by: JKJ88 | October 3, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Texan2007 sez:
GO SARAH.

Yup. Go back to Alaska.

Posted by: fink | October 3, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"McClatchy: Palin's Approval Ratings Tumble -- In Alaska"

"McClatchy reports today that her approval rating in her home state has tumbled to 68% -- still high but surely not the country's best. The poll by a local firm that works for both parties was taken Sept. 20-22. McClatchy writes: "Palin’s popularity has swooned as new information about the local abuse-of-power investigation known as Troopergate has trickled out, and as national and local media pick over her track record as a governor and small-town mayor.

"Palin still has overwhelming support among Alaska Republicans. But many Democrats and independents, who gave her positive marks just a month ago, have changed their views...."

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 3, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Katie Couric did an excellent job during her interview of Sara Palin. It is not Katie's problem that Palin can't name a paper or magizine that she has read. She was hoping for a journalists or commmentator that would be sympathetic to her and not ask a question that hard. Sara needs to go back to Alaska and stay.

Posted by: fhlail | October 3, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

See Out Takes from Biden and Palin practice Debates, You can also Give FeedBack on how you think Sarah Palin did in the Debate, See what the national poll says about what others think,

Posted by: pastor123 | October 3, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh gee golly. I, like, hate it when people start askin' me hard questions, too, dagnabit and dontcha know? Like, especially when I'm interviewin' for a job, and they ask all those gotcha questions. It's not fair, and I betcha Joe Sixpack would agree. He'd say, doggonit, there ya go again askin' questions, also.

Obama/Biden '08

Posted by: ASinMoCo | October 3, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Katie Couric is just a shill for the corporate media, which openly and massively gives Obama laudatory coverage and gives McCain's campaign attack coverage. It was clear that Couric saw the interview, NOT as an opportunity to find out what Governor Palin's views and experience are,and why she has an extraordinary EIGHTY PERCENT approval rating among Alaska voter, but instead as an opportunity to find different ways to attack Governor Palin. The fact that Couric is willing to sign up to play the hatchet man on yet another woman candidate...is just proof that she'll do anything for her paycheck. ANY idiot can put together a series of "gotcha" questions designed to harass and embarrass the interviewee. But it takes someone with taste and dignity to do a REAL interview. When it comes to real ability...neither Couric, nor most of the media harpies, come CLOSE to the range of experience and accomplishment which Governor Palin has demonstrated, which is why EIGHTY PERCENT of the people in Alaska, republicans, independants, and democrats, are happy with her governorship. Neither Katie Couric, nor any of her mainstream media cohorts, ever had eighty percent of ANYBODY happy with the way they do THEIR work. And, in the face of that massive success of Governor Palin on a bipartisan basis, somehow Katie Couric is too stupid, or CORRUPT, to ask a SINGLE QUESTION about why Governor Palin is the most popular governor in the country. The end result is that Couric's entire interview failed to get at the truth of Governor Palin's career and qualifications. And that's not good journalism. That's not even professional journalism. It's just dirty, gutter politics.

Posted by: transatlantic7 | October 3, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

If SP does really, truly represent mainstream America, as Texan2007 suggests, then perhaps I made the right choice in moving to Canada. But, that can't be. We can't be that stupid a country. True, we did elect Dan Quayle 20 years ago, and then we elected W. twice. Naw, I still can't believe it. The first time was the Scalia Supreme Court and a bunch of idiot voters in Florida. But, what about 2004? I still can't believe it. If Americans elect that pig-in-lipstick and her septuagenarian sidekick, uncle.

Posted by: fogel | October 3, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey, maybe she was ticked off with Katie Couric. I and some friends were ticked off at her for being unable to answer simple questions.
We are not interested in hearing her canned pulpit speech or her rants about someone else. We want to know about her and whether there is any depth to her glitz. She's cute, she speaks memorized answers very well. That does not make her electable in our opinion. We want an intelligent, knowing vice president, not just someone the 6-beer boys call a VPILF.

Posted by: HandyDan | October 3, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I see. Palin's rambling, incoherent, clueless, and vapid responses were actually Couric and the "media elite's" fault! What utter nonsense. Palin is shameless.

Posted by: Chip_M | October 3, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

"Judges refuses to halt Troopergate investigation"

"An Anchorage judge Thursday refused to halt the Legislature's investigation of Gov. Sarah Palin and denied the Alaska attorney general's challenge of legislative subpoenas.

Superior Court Judge Peter Michalski heard arguments from both sides Thursday morning and issued a written ruling just before 5 p.m."

"The Texas-based Liberty Legal Institute, which helped represent the five Alaska Republican legislators who sued to stop the investigation, said that it planned to appeal to the Alaska Supreme Court. Any appeal would have to be fast.

That's because the investigator hired by the Legislative Council, Steve Branchflower, is to present his report in a week."

"The Liberty Legal Institute said Thursday's ruling is a dangerous decision and declared that "Judge Michalski is the same judge who ruled in 1998 that same-sex marriage is a fundamental right, a decision subsequently overruled by a constitutional amendment approved by the voters of Alaska.""

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 3, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

""I did feel that there were lot of things that she was missing in terms of an opportunity to ask what a VP candidate stands for, what the values are, represented in our ticket."

Fine, Sarah, you be the journalist then and you can ask the questions. Or get a soapbox, stand on it and talk about what ever you want. In an interview, the interviewee doesn't get to pick the question. It's not the "values" that you represent, it's the specific issues and where you stand. Sheeesh, what a rube.

Posted by: thebobbob | October 3, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pastor123 | October 3, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of herself in third person. Nice.

Posted by: RollaMO | October 3, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin has obviously spent too much time in the "spin room". She seems to have taken the strategic aggrandizing seriously-hence referring to herself in the third person.
Yeah, that's what we need, another "of the people" pol that's no deeper than a parking lot puddle thinking WAAAAAY too much of themselves.

Posted by: whereareweandwhatarewedoinginthishandbasket | October 3, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

We simply are not as stupid as Palin's "re-creation" of the facts assumes. When asked what she read, how hard could it be to say "The Anchorage Daily Times," or whatever she actually reads. Implication: inability to answer means she doesn't read. Palin is fond of saying, "that's not what I want to talk about" and "that's not what the American people want to hear about." TOO FUUCKIN' BAD. If you enter a race and you're asked a simple question by the press, answer it, and then go on with your slogans and tag lines. Either she has enough intelligence to actually anwwer a straight quetion, or she doesn't. The simple fact is, she doesn't. Even McCain doesn't pull that Palin shiit. Speaking like you're uneducated, and acting folksly, might appeal to simpletons, but not to most people.

Posted by: PhilaMike | October 3, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Palin is neither intelligent enough or "vice presidential" enough to do an interview with a professional the caliber of Katie Couric. Palin actually thought in-depth interviews with national journalists were quasi campaign commercials. Palin obviously didn't realize such interviews are profiles of the candidate—a profile of her—not the other guy.

Palin expected Couric to ask questions that would give her opportunities to bash Obama and Biden. My goodness, how juvenile and misinformed can Palin be? Someone needs to tell her she gets to bash the other candidate when she does a two-minute CNN Dana Bash interview.

Katie Couric is a consummate interviewer of political leaders; she has interviewed a number of international leaders, including:
President Gerald Ford
Secretary of State Madeleine Albright
Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor
British Prime Minister Tony Blair
Saudi Crown Prince Abdullah
Secretary-General of the United Nations Kofi Annan
Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon

Oh, yeah, Couric can now add the accomplished and internationally respected world leader, Sarah Palin to the list.

Posted by: jandcgall1 | October 3, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin does not have the wisdom nor maturity to realize what she's said. As the potential POTUS, she cannot allow herself the indulgence of being "annoyed." It is not about her. Isn't it "Country First" or something? Allowing her emotions to dictate how she communicates to us is highly irresponsible and we've already seen how well that works.

Posted by: Invalid_User_Name | October 3, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Sarh is me, she's Joe-six pack, she's the gal I want to hang out with. Neat-o. I don't want Joe six-pack running the country. She's a dolt who memorizes quite well, and simply does not address the questions she cannot answer. "Thanks for having me at your debate Gwen - I just wanna let ya know that darn it I might not answer the questions you ask, cuz there's a few things I wanna chat aboot with the folks at home, nkay?" Good grief.

Posted by: free012009 | October 3, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Obviously.

Posted by: JakeD | October 3, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin represents TRUE main stream America. She actually lives it. And Americans know it! We love her! GO SARAH!

SARAH SPEAKS FOR ME!