Palin to Appear on '700 Club'

By Krissah Williams Thompson
Gov. Sarah Palin held a wide-ranging 20-minute interview this weekend with the Christian Broadcast Network, laying out her prayer requests, discussing her baptism in Little Beaver Lake in Alaska and saying she would be comfortable using the controversial line about Sen. Barack Obama "palling around with terrorists" again.

The interview is her first with CBN's political blogger and reporter David Brody, who has also interviewed Obama and Sen. John McCain. The full interview will air on "The 700 Club" tomorrow but excerpts and video have been posted on Brody's blog.

Here are a few snippets from their Q & A:

Brody: Are you okay with the "pal around with terrorist line?" Or you want to rein that back a little?

Palin: No I would say it again, I would say it again because again it, it, according to the information that we have, the association that he's had with Bill Ayers wasn't just one or two time sitting on a board together where, No, there's been quite a few associations and events and meetings and discussion and emails and calls and to not disavow that too, I think is troubling.

Brody: On Constitutional marriage amendment, are, are you for something like that?

Palin: I am, in my own, state, I have voted along with the vast majority of Alaskans who had the opportunity to vote to amend our Constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I wish on a federal level that that's where we would go because I don't support gay marriage. I'm not going to be out there judging individuals, sitting in a seat of judgment telling what they can and can't do, should and should not do, but I certainly can express my own opinion here and take actions that I believe would be best for traditional marriage and that's casting my votes and speaking up for traditional marriage that, that instrument that it's the foundation of our society is that strong family and that's based on that traditional definition of marriage, so I do support that.

Brody: There have been some shots taken at you...regarding your Christian faith...The Pentecostal stuff, the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Do you want to clear up exactly what you believe in and so that the record can be set straight a little bit? Because there have been some editorials and others taking shots at you regarding --

Palin: Yeah, and I think the saddest part of that is that faith, not just my faith, faith and God in general has been mocked through this campaign, and that breaks my heart and that is unfair for others who share a faith in God and chose to worship our Lord in whatever private manner that they deem fit and my faith has always been pretty personal. I haven't really worn it on my sleeve. I haven't been out there preaching it. I've always been of the mind that you walk the walk. You just don't have to be talking the talk about your beliefs, so just wanting maybe my life to be able to reflect my faith. So it's always been pretty personal and that was kind of a surprise in the last couple of months that people would misconstrue and spin anything that has to do with my faith or anybody else's and turn it into something to be mocked. That's very sad. I don't think that there's anything that I can do about it, so you know, I won't, I won't whine or complain about it, but nobody is going to convince me that my foundation of faith is not good for me and for my family no matter the mocking, no matter what anybody says about it, I'm going to keep plugging away at this and I'm going to keep seeking God's guidance and His wisdom and His favor and His grace, for me, for my family, for this campaign, for our nation. ...

Brody: What do you pray about and what are some things that people can pray for you?

Palin: Pray of course for about my family that my kids will not be adversely affected by some of the political shots of course that, that we've been taking the last couple of months. I pray for my son's safety over in Iraq fighting for us in a striker brigade in the US Army and for all of our troops and I pray too for in the grander, greater scheme of things also that God's hand of protection would be over our country and that we as individuals would be endowed with strength to do all that we can to protect our nation and protect our Constitutional rights and do those things that I believe will make our country better, greater, but it's going to take even more than that truly it will take God's hand of protection to be continually over our land and His wisdom, His grace, His favor I pray for that for our country. I pray for that for other nations also, so that other nations would be safe, would be healthy, that the people who live there -- especially the children who are growing up in some of these nations that are certainly not as privileged as we are would know that there is hope, that there is opportunity if they seek that and if they seek God's guidance.

By Web Politics Editor  |  October 20, 2008; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  Sarah Palin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When It Comes to Obama, Palin Counts the Days
Next: Biden Warns World Will 'Test' Obama, Prompting McCain Response

Comments

For an interesting satiric visual double take on the McCain - Palin phenomenon see the website/blog:

Posted by: jacknoir | October 20, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

The same 700 Club that brought you Tammy Faye and Jim Baker? LOL. Come on Sarah, ditch your handlers. How about MSNBC with Chris Matthews or Meet the Press.

Posted by: jeanbrandt | October 20, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

From previously linked article...

"Biden's cholesterol reading is 173, with an HDL level (so-called "good" cholesterol) of 47. Both are within a healthy range.

The records also show the senator has undergone PSA screening tests for prostate cancer, with normal (healthy) results."

No mention of jugular vein.

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 20, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"Democratic VP nominee Biden releases medical records"

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 20, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta, a neurosurgeon, said that after 20 years, it’s unlikely that the aneurysm history would pose a risk today. Additional aneurysms can be detected by MRI scanning, but the records released Monday do not indicate what, if any, screening has been done in the past two decades. Questioned by reporters on a conference call, a campaign official said those records would be located and released."

Posted by: nowanna3 | October 20, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

It was a list of medical problems, reported on CNN, around the time of my post. Just because AP is hiding the fact doesnt mean it's not true.

Posted by: JakeD | October 20, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Frankly Palin may have left the Wasilla Assembly of G-d, but she is still speaking in tongues. Hmm...700 Club...Pat Robertson...G-d punishing America for gays and lesbians with the attacks on September 11th. Let us not forget Jerry Falwell's agreement. Can you say double standard?

Posted by: wes1155 | October 20, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey everyone the 700 Club is just like Meet the Press or Face the Nation. Right? Good strategy have people ask only the questions you want to answer and then lie about those too.
Obama/Biden 08!

Posted by: clsvt | October 20, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

JakeD wrote "CNN is just reporting that Joe Biden has elevated PSA and partially clogged jugular vein (same thing Ted Kennedy had)! Not sure if any follow up with MRI following his brain aneurysm either." I do not see that on CNN and AP reorts "Biden does have an enlarged prostate but no sign of prostate cancer." and "seems to have healthy heart arteries and is active".

Posted by: clsvt | October 20, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

What the heck in the McCain-Palin ticket plan? To scare off Independents and conservative Democrats? Palin going on the 700 Club with Pat Robertson is scary to me? She hasn't been willing to meet with most of the media but she wants to go on the 700 Club show or only interview with Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, and David Brody?!

Like Colin Powell said, Palin is not prepared to be V.P. and heaven forbid President of the U.S.

Plus, it should be time for another McCain medical checkup fo cancer. I betcha he'll push the checkup off till after Nov. 4th.

Posted by: AJ2008 | October 20, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Now that the excerpt has been posted, I think it was a great interview.

Posted by: JakeD | October 20, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody ever notice that McCain and Palin never want to talk about their positive positions, strategies, or philosophies? Do they have anything to offer on their own behalf, or do they plan on occupying the White House posing as proxies for God?

How scared of real journalism is she, anyway? All these guaranteed-safe interviews, all this preaching to the choir, is doing the McCain campaign exactly no good. All Sarah's up to is setting herself up for '12 while she casually tosses McCain under the bus.

Nice lady. (Eeeeeeeeeeeewww.)

Just because Sarah believes in God doesn't mean God believes in Sarah's policies, does it? If she were really devout, she'd know better than to claim God is on her side, wouldn't she?

Sarah Palin in two words: apostate dingbat.

Posted by: lonquest | October 20, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

If I hadn't already voted for McCain-Palin, I would do so just to see Tina Fey leave the earth ; )

Posted by: JakeD | October 20, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

DrainYou:

Biden did not release the records to the public. Medical doctors / reporters from CNN, WaPo, etc. all have had access now.

Posted by: JakeD | October 20, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

this is about change,
can you buy the presidency of
the United States?
obama says he can,
this is your chance,
vote for fairness...

NOBAMA

Posted by: USA3 | October 20, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, if only the public could get a good look at Grampy McCain's medical records, right Wingnut Jake?

-------------------------------

Posted by: JakeD | October 20, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DrainYou | October 20, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I voted in Florida this morning.

Heavy voter turnout in Tampa Bay area. I waited an hour.

:-)

Posted by: toritto | October 20, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | October 20, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I wonder if Side Show Palin is going tell stories about how Jesus rode a dinosaur?

Posted by: DrainYou | October 20, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

While Palin is visiting the 700 club she might ask some questions about Christian Redemption. ...............

Posted by: glclark4750 | October 20, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Since Sarah Palin is so concerned about those who would "pal around with terrorists" and those with "un-American" leanings, perhaps she should clean up her own shop.

Not only has her husband been a member of the Alaskan Independence Party, a party founded on the principle that Alaska should secede from the Union, but she has also addressed the party more than once, INCLUDING this year!

By the way, the founder of the AIP was murdered in a plastic explosives sale gone bad. Terrorism, anyone?

I have the story, plus the video of her welcoming address this year (the video is relatively short).

Feel free to share the video with others.

"Sarah Palin & The Secessionists"

Posted by: scootmandubious | October 20, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the most closeted and oppressed people in American are atheists.

I'm waiting for a out of the closet non-believer to make a run for high office.

Being elected to office means (a) you must believe in capitalism (b) you must believe in strongest military on the planet and (c) you must believe in god, preferably Jesus.

:-)

Posted by: toritto | October 20, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Will someone confort Palin about THIS:

ARE THE McCAIN-PALIN CROWD AGITATORS THE SAME STORMTROOPERS WHO DO THIS:

WHAT IF McCAIN-PALIN'S STRATEGY IS AIMED NOT AT VOTERS, BUT AT THE APPARACHIK?

Posted by: scrivener50 | October 20, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the "700 Club" can elect McCain-Palin just liked when they failed to turn around a hurricane for Pat Robertson.

This "Christian" is not amused.

Posted by: NotBubba | October 20, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

What's up with Kyra Phillips and David Letterman?

Posted by: JakeD | October 20, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

PALIN, ALBERTO GONZALEZ, JOHN SNOW, CHRISTIFER COX, DONALD RUMSFELD AND BROWN FROM BROWNIE FAME. All these people were in their jobs to satisfy their boss's political aims and not there because of competence. I seriously doubt that we will be hearing about Ayers for all of Palin's bravado. The issue is socialism, the most recent non issue to distract the people from the failed economy which if John McCain becomes president will continue to fail. As McCain showed with his selection of Palin we can hardly expect him to choose competence over political expediency. He has attempted to inflict on this country the most serious danger he could with his choice of Ms Palin.

A McCain presidency would be all about him with confusion reigning as it did during the financial crisis. I frankly question what character defect intelligent conservatives who support Palin have since she can not be so obviously unsuited for office and it escapes their notice.

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 20, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

SOFTBALL INTERVIEW!

If CBN were anymore accomodating, the interview would be Rated X

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 20, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

IF PALIN IS SO QUALIFIED...

Then why didn't she run for president?

Makes you wonder what the Republican Primary would have looked like?

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 20, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse