The Volunteers Gear Up for One Last Push

By Dan Balz
DENVER -- In this final week of the presidential campaign, the lights burn late in small offices dotted across the country -- in Virginia and Colorado, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida. The walls are plastered with schedules and signup sheets and posters and pictures. Cell phones sit in clusters, plugged into chargers, drained from hours of use.

If there are really red and blue Americas, these are the nerve centers. From these offices, tens of thousands of volunteers are working overtime to turn out voters for Barack Obama and John McCain in what may be the largest voter mobilization effort in the history of presidential politics.

The offices bear a striking similarity to one another, save for the passions that drive the volunteers. Spend time with these volunteers and you quickly sense the urgency they feel about next week's vote and, depending on the outcome, the potential consequences for the country.

Ann Fort was making calls at McCain's Colorado headquarters in Centennial the other day. It is the first time she's been involved in a political campaign in more than two decades. "I've planned to do it all along," she said of her decision to help McCain, "and I just thought I better hurry up and do it. And if I didn't do it -- and things didn't go right -- I'd feel really bad."

Why this year after so many years on the sidelines? "Because it's so close and I'm so" -- she paused to find the right word -- "I'm scared and I think McCain's the answer."

A few miles away, Andre Williams, a community development specialist, was working the phones at Obama's office in Aurora, another suburb of Denver. He had come from San Francisco to volunteer for the final two weeks of the campaign, making calls to voters and other volunteers and organizing vans to help ferry supporters to the polls.

"I truly believe this is the most important election that I'll ever be a part of, in terms of just the direction of the country and where it's going and where it's been," he said. "We're in a situation now where you can't sit on the sidelines. If you have the time, you have to plug it in."

The sentiments expressed by the volunteers underscore the competing world views of McCain and Obama supporters. For the most part, they do not speak in the partisan boilerplate that oozes forth from campaign spokesmen and party apparatchiks. Their language is more heartfelt than that, though they see the stakes from sharply polarized perspectives.

"I never remember another one like this," said Kathrine Robbins, a McCain volunteer. "People are so passionate."

Why? "This time around I'm afraid," she said. "I'm afraid for our security as a country. I'm afraid for the values of our country just going out the window. Our economy. Just everything seems to be at stake now. I feel like our country -- it's changing. Not in a direction I would like to see it go in. I just feel like it's becoming way too liberal. We've even talked about what other country can we move to."

Nearby, Clare Rockefeller, wearing a bright pink McCain-Palin cap and a black T-shirt emblazoned with bright red lips and the words, "Read My Lipstick. Vote McCain-Palin!", sat with a cell phone next to her ear, dialing for voters.

"I have an active duty spouse and he just returned from Iraq in May," she said. "John McCain's character has shown great self sacrifice in the past and I haven't seen any clear evidence of that from the opposing side. For me, it's a very important election -- directly affects my husband and his deployments and putting his life in harm's way."

At Obama's Lakewood office on the city's west side, Jeff Haley described the path that took him from being a registered Republican in the 1980s to unaffiliated in the 1990s to a registered Democrat since President Bush took office in 2001.

"I believe our value set is substantially different from that represented by the opponents, frankly," he said. "I don't see their values being the values of the United States as it was intended to be when it was founded. I frankly think our Founding Fathers would be greatly appalled by what's developed here in the last few years."

The volunteers devote hours at a time to their labors, making telephone calls to encourage supporters to vote early or to recruit foot soldiers for weekends of door-to-door canvassing. Others plug fresh data into massive databases that are linked to state headquarters and eventually back to the main offices of the two campaigns, where the results are crunched, analyzed and fed into projections.

Some offices are storefronts, others in shopping malls where walk-by traffic can deliver new recruits who are urgently needed, still others housed in soulless office buildings that have been commandeered at bargain-basement prices. Homemade food sits half eaten on tables. Pizzas arrive regularly for those who prefer. Surrounded by open bags of chips and other junk food, volunteers trade diet tips in what is an oasis of bad eating.

At Obama offices in some states, there are designated "comfort captains," whose responsibility is to make sure there is always food for the volunteers. At McCain's Colorado headquarters in Centennial, they started an Iron Chef competition, patterned after the Food Network program and designed to play off the Obama campaign's foibles. One week the secret ingredient was lemons (for Obama's "bitter" comments). More recently it was corn, to tweak the Democrats over the scandals involving ACORN.

Rhonda Friedberg cast an early vote in Texas a week ago and with two friends drove to Colorado. "It's really easy," she said, "because you just drive up to Wichita and take a left."

She has never worked in a campaign but Obama inspired her to get involved. "Obama has brought something into American politics that has been missing all of my lifetime," she said. "I've never been politically active, this is the first time I have, and I've been busting my butt since before the primary. Because he's brought a new spirit of change. We had no voice. He is empowering us."

If fear drives some volunteers, hope motivates others. Vanessa Vargas is 24 and volunteered for Obama in Colorado in mid-September. "I felt like I needed to be not only a part of history but also a part of my future," she said. "I need to take an active role so that I could be part of what I would like this country to be."

She expanded on that a few minutes later. "I felt this campaign really spoke to me," she said, "because as a minority, as a woman, as young person, it represents a lot of who I am and by taking part in it, it allowed me to bring the message of those who aren't as active as I am but who have the same needs along with me on this journey."

For some volunteers, the time spent in service to one candidate or the other has been life changing. Penny Roach also has been working for Obama since September and even was tapped to introduce him at one of his rallies. She became emotional as she described the impact of working on a campaign that has made volunteers central to its operations.

The campaign, she said, has set standards for how she now looks at other aspects of her life. "I want to be thanked. I want to be empowered. I want to be trusted," she said. "That I will take with me everywhere, and that's what I'm going to expect. This made me know I deserve that." Roach began to choke up at this point. "It's been the greatest experience," she said. "It really has been fantastic."

By Web Politics Editor  |  October 28, 2008; 11:49 AM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama , Battlegrounds , Dan Balz's Take , John McCain , The Voters
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Opinion on U.S. Election Leans Obama
Next: McCain Mocks Obama 'Infomercial' for Delaying World Series Game

Comments

If there was a white Presidential candidate who was found to be a member of a racist church, same as the Rev. Wright's church except substitute "white values" for "black values" and visa vera, THE MEDIA WOULD BE IN TOTAL ATTACK MODE AGAINST THAT WHITE CANDIDATE.

OBAMA IS A RACIST - OBAMA HAS GIVE $20,000.00 TO A RACIST CHURCH IN ONE YEAR.

Washington Post - there are a lot of Churches in Chicago which are black and which are not racist - Obama did not have to give $20,000.00 to this one Church - STOP GIVING OBAMA A PASS ON HIS RACISM AGAINST WHITES.

WAKE UP WASHINGTON POST WAKE UP MEDIA.

WAKE UP AMERICA.

Exactly right he's racist. Just listen to Irreverend Wrong, his pastor for many, many years.

Exactly right he's socialist. Just listen to him admit it to Joe the Plumber, or his interviews in the past.

Exactly right he's a rotten human being. Just look at his abortion voting record.

Exactly right he has questionable judgment. Just look at his associations with people in his past.

Exactly right he's corrupt. Just look at the Rezko land deal.

Exactly right he's a liar. Just look at what he says about taxes vs. how he's actually voted.

Exactly right he has no executive experience. Just look at his resume -- or lack thereof.

Exactly right he's secretive. Just look at his lack of birth certificate, SAT scores, grades, etc. etc., etc.

Exactly right he'll be challenged in his first 6 months of office if elected. Just look at what he says about meeting unconditionally with world leaders.

We cannot be SERIOUS about electing this guy!! Obama in charge of nukes?! What. The.

Sorry George Washington, we messed everything up.

We stopped demanding the best people in the White House.

Posted by: 37thandOSt | October 29, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

nnia,

you are misquoting Senator Obama with the same type of evil and deceitful intentions that John McCain and Sarah Palin are attempting to do. It won't work this time. Here's the real story.

After the events of 9/11, a number of Muslims (and Sikhs) were assaulted, attacked, and even killed by angry and scared Americans. Obama was saying that he would oppose any attempts to make such violence legally or socially acceptable.

"The actual quote from the book is from page 261 and is as follows: "Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Not this time.

Vietnam Veteran for Obama/Biden
Khe Sanh 1968

Posted by: Luke2 | October 29, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Make Believe Maverick. Must reading from Rolling Stone.

The real John McCain from those who served with him, and know him best.

Not this time.

Posted by: Luke2 | October 29, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

It stands to reason that ontheblvd would use a reference against Obama from a professor at a religious southern university. Where else can you find people who lie, cheat, steal, rob, rape, and maim and claim it is in the name of God? Not only that, they are forgiven for being such immoral and godless individuals. Hypocracy is such a disgusting trait in people who would rather hurt others than heal them. These so called religious people might just as well claim the Nazi Party as their religion. George Orwell warned us about them.

Then look an nnia: This person can neither get a quote correct nor correctly attribute a quote.

Posted by: sabrown2 | October 28, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Posting the same screed and rant multiple times does not make for a more effective argument.

I speak for many.

Posted by: CynthiaD1 | October 28, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Check this video of racist McCain supporter at a rally this week:

Posted by: absolutkt1 | October 28, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

SAINT: the NAZIs (National Socialist Party) were right wing (like you) the Commies(Like you know, USSR) were leftist...you can't call someone a Fascist and Communist at the same time...the 1st thing that Hitler did was to take over the economy(Bail outs anyone?) Try reading the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and The Nightmare Years...would McCain invade Vietnam again, to make up for the 1st time? after all they are commies...maybe Obama is Vietnamese...

Posted by: teammugs | October 28, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I've been stating this point since, well I don't know how long now. I just think it is really important that even though we expect some form of change in the near future for the good of our country and our citizens, but even at our level we should stop simply going with the flow with some of these candidates and start weighing in on their POLICIES with concern of this country and how our citizens will benefit. This isn't about Democrat or Republican. Every election we should be taking a step back to really look at what these people are bringing to the table, for the love of our country for goodness sakes. That's what we can do, with patriotism. I am somewhat relieved in hearing this time around that we are ahead so far. We need Obama/Biden pushed over that line and not McCain and Palin. We've really got to crack out of submission to fear tactics, and maintain strong intelligent thoughts to forever, beginning NOW, demand substance from our potential leaders.

"JimR4 is an excellent example of the sort of demagogue that wants to intimidate the people of this country to vote about fear rather than policy. We decided to do that in 2004 and we can see what that got us. Talk to me when you've got a policy that can make my life better instead of a thin doomsday prediction that has no underpinings in real fact. It's time to stop letting people get away with mindless fearmongering and put some folks with a more thoughtful perspective in charge of this country."

Posted by: Obama2008 | October 28, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Joe is 1000% correct! Read Obama's own words:

I will stand with the Muslims: I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction - declared Barack Obama.
I too will stand with the Muslims:

When the Nazis came for the communists, I remained silent; I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats, I remained silent; I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists, I did not speak out; I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews, I remained silent; I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out.

- Barack Hussein Obama, from his book, Audacity of Hope.

Posted by: nnia | October 28, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Joe is 1000% correct! Read Obama's own words:

I too will stand with the Muslims:

When they came for the Jews, I remained silent; I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out.

- Barack Hussein Obama, from his book, Audacity of Hope.

Posted by: nnia | October 28, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Joe is 1000% correct! Read Obama's own words:

I too will stand with the Muslims:

When they came for the Jews, I remained silent; I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out.

- Barack Hussein Obama, from his book, Audacity of Hope.

Posted by: nnia | October 28, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Joe is 1000% correct! Read Obama's own words:

I too will stand with the Muslims:

When they came for the Jews, I remained silent; I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out.

- Barack Hussein Obama, from his book, Audacity of Hope.

Posted by: nnia | October 28, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Volunteers please send some Obama/Biden08 signs to ALABAMA noone has any here, Iv not seen even 1 nowhere but theres dozens of mccain/palin signs everywhere takeing up space for nothing and its just not fair.

Posted by: smorrow | October 28, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

response to: (camera_eye_11 | October 28, 2008 7:39 PM)

Just ignore him. Mark Foley left him for Larry Craig, so his only source of income is trolling for the RNC.

Posted by: con_crusher | October 28, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

response to: (sagereader | October 28, 2008 6:18 PM)

How much is the RNC paying you to troll? Get a life and move out of your momma's basement, you pathetic worm of a loser.

Posted by: con_crusher | October 28, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

sagereader doesn't cite his source. His opinions are as worthless as his vote for McSame.

Posted by: camera_eye_11 | October 28, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

response to: (sagereader | October 28, 2008 6:21 PM)

First of all, you're a little bit funny there. Biden is loquacious. Everyone knows that. Also, considering the number of words that politicians utter during the election cycle, they're bound to make some mistakes. However, Biden is certainly a learned and intelligent person. George W. Bush, meanwhile, has the intelligence of a Texas rock and the elloquence of a town fool. Here are some samples:

These aren't simple gaffes - they prove that every sip of alcohol indeed kills brain cells.

Also, you have a huge misunderstanding there, Sparky, if you think that somehow Palin is more erudite than Biden. Palin doesn't even know the GD job description of the US vice president. She can't name ONE newspaper that she reads. She doesn't know ONE US Supreme Court decision besides Roe V. Wade. Bottom line is that ignorance is bliss for rightwing-extremist Republicans. She revels in being a self-proclaimed "redneck." So it's really no wonder there that her approval ratings have tanked. Once people realized she was a looker but dumb as a doorknob, they starting having doubts about her aptitude for running the country. After all, Alaska has the 4th lowest population in the US. Running such as state isn't something to brag about -- particularly considering that 99% of Alaskan RepubTards are as crooked as a dog's hind leg.

Posted by: con_crusher | October 28, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Make Believe Maverick. Must reading from Rolling Stone.

The real John McCain from those who served with him, and know him best.

Not this time.

Posted by: Luke2 | October 28, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I find it very interesting that John McCain walks around the stage with a closed left fist and his thumb pointing straight upwards.

When he is sitting at a table he does the same thing, and when excited, repeats over and over again, "my friend." or "my friends."

I thought at first that he was using his thumb as a potential pacifier, and I was just waiting for him to start sucking on it when he really lost his cool.

Finally, I discovered this link about how insulting the gesture is in many parts of the world.

'Thumbs up' traditionally translates as the foulest of Middle-Eastern gesticular insults — the most straightforward interpretation is 'Up yours, pal!' The sign has a similarly pejorative meaning in parts of West Africa, South America, Russia, Iran, Greece, and Sardinia, according to Roger E. Axtell's book "Gestures: The Do's and Taboos of Body Language Around the World."

Maybe that's why the old curmudgeon favors this gesture so much. He enjoys insulting people- especially those from other parts of the world.

Not this time.

Vietnam Veteran for Obama/Biden
Khe Sanh 1968

Posted by: Luke2 | October 28, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

What most people fail to realize about the kind of Marxist “spread the wealth” President Obama would be is that he is a globalist — NOT a nationalist — Marxist.

When Obama talks about taking wealth from the richest and redistributing it to the poorest — “economic justice” — he is not talking merely about taking wealth from America’s rich and redistributing it amongst America’s poor.

1- Barack Obama believes that “…extremely poor societies and weak states provide optimal breeding grounds for disease, terrorism, and conflict….” and thus the war on terror is fought by lifting poor countries (e.g. Kenya) out of poverty.

2- He supports the 1995 Commission on Global Governance proclamation that the “global ethic of common rights and shared responsibilities… would provide the moral foundation for constructing a more effective system of global governance.”

3- He will end “our veto power as a nation state” in the UN and “endorse the establishment of a new global environmental court to prosecute the multinational corporate polluters for crimes against humanity’s planet.”

4- He seeks a global “society of nations” and will restructure the State Department into a global trade and development agency to promote economic democracy and to assist the U.N. in its management of global prosperity for the sake of human peace.

5- Under an Obama presidency, human rights will include the right to food and the right to clean water, plus the duty to intervene. A restructured military will be busy with short and long-term food wars and battles for clean water.

6- Obama expects wealthy America to pay any price (sharing our riches, endless battles) and share the burdens to build a “just and secure” global village.

Above references derive from the article “Obama as a War President”

Posted by: ontheblvd | October 28, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Obama has the endorsement of General Colin Powell, a former Secretary of State. McCane has the endorsement of "Joe the Plumber" -- a tax-evading Republican rednek who isn't really a plumber. doh!

Posted by: con_crusher | October 28, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

How is it that every single comment thread on here gets completely swamped by people copy/pasting garbage in a matter of hours? What's the freaking point of having a comments section if you just allow people to fill it with the same paranoid rants over and over again?

Posted by: CohtR | October 28, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA CHOSE BIDEN the ILLITERATE

I enjoy the smug attempts of liberals to appear superior. Just a normal defensive reaction to having Joe Biden on the losing ticket.

Joe Biden says JOBS is a 3 letter word . . . . Watch it and laugh

Go to:

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Here is a comparison of the respective tax plans conducted by the Tax Policy Center, not some guy who types in "CAPS LOCK"

Posted by: jimestw | October 28, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA IN CHICAGO -- FIXED WHAT???

These facts will give you some perspective!

Perhaps the U.S.should pull out of Chicago?

Body count: In the last six months
292 killed (murdered) in Chicago;
221 killed in Iraq.

Who represents Illinois???

Senators Barack Obama & Dick Durbin
Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr.
Gov. Rod Blogojevich
House leader Mike Madigan
Atty Gen Lisa Madigan (Mike's kid)
Mayor Richard M. Daley (Mayor Richard J.Daley's son)

....leadership in Illinois.....all Democrats.

Thank you for the combat zone in Chicago.
Of course, they're all blaming each other.
Can't blame Republicans; they're aren't any!

State pension fund $44 Billion in debt, worst in country
Cook County (Chicago) sales tax 10.25% highest in country
Chicago school system rated one of the worst in the country

This is the political culture in Illinois from which Obama comes.

And he's going to "fix" Washington politics for us!

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

sagereader, Pravda could learn a thing or two from you about drinking the kool aide.

Posted by: jimcummings | October 28, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

BOTTOM LINE: NO TAX CUT BY OBAMA

OBAMA's PLAN MAKES ALL AMERICANS PAY HIGHER TAXES

Senator Obama is not being truthful when he says only Americans earning $250,000 will get a tax increase.

Senator Obama plans to let the current 2007 rates lapse. The rates under Obama will return to the higher 2000 level. Senator Obama claims that letting a tax cut lapse is not a "tax increase."

But requiring Americans to pay more taxes than in 2007 amounts to a TAX INCREASE.

For a married family, filing jointly and earning $75,000 a year, this INCREASE will be $3,074.

For a married family, filing jointly and earning $50,000, this INCREASE will be $1,512.

Even struggling American families making just $25,000 a year will see a tax INCREASE-- they'll pay $715 more in 2010 than they did in 2007.

Across the board, ALL WORKING AMERICANS WILL SEE SIGNIFICANT INCREASES in their taxes with OBAMA'S PLANS.

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA IN CHICAGO -- FIXED WHAT???

These facts will give you some perspective!

Perhaps the U.S.should pull out of Chicago?

Body count: In the last six months
292 killed (murdered) in Chicago;
221 killed in Iraq.

Who represents Illinois???

Senators Barack Obama & Dick Durbin
Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr.
Gov. Rod Blogojevich
House leader Mike Madigan
Atty Gen Lisa Madigan (Mike's kid)
Mayor Richard M. Daley (Mayor Richard J.Daley's son)

....leadership in Illinois.....all Democrats.

Thank you for the combat zone in Chicago.
Of course, they're all blaming each other.
Can't blame Republicans; they're aren't any!

State pension fund $44 Billion in debt, worst in country
Cook County (Chicago) sales tax 10.25% highest in country
Chicago school system rated one of the worst in the country

This is the political culture in Illinois from which Obama comes.

And he's going to "fix" Washington politics for us!

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Sage reader, Pravda could learn a lesson from you about drinking the kool aide.

Posted by: jimcummings | October 28, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

BOTTOM LINE: NO TAX CUT BY OBAMA
OBAMA DISTORTS AND LIES -- ALL AMERICANS TO PAY HIGHER TAXES

Across the board, ALL WORKING AMERICANS WILL SEE SIGNIFICANT INCREASES in their taxes with Obama's plans.

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scott032 | October 28, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh God, AP is reporting that the RNC spent $125,000 on Joe the Plumber's wardrobe.

Posted by: Jaxxon | October 28, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

>>Obama is another 911 waiting to happen...do we need another Pearl Habor or 911. No!
>>Joe Bidens thinks Obama is so weak that our enemies will not fear to test him.
>>Do Americans, Democrats, Republicains and Independents need more American Blood shed so Obama can get on the job crisis management? No

We need John McCain in the White House he will defend America. Our enemies respect him.

Posted by: JimR4 | October 28, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

This is my hometown and my people:

The National Magazine
BOONE, NORTH CAROLINA -- Billy Kennedy, a woodworker and carpenter wearing a Barack Obama sticker and a baseball cap, approached a small home in a hilly neighbourhood where the racket of two barking dogs had drawn the owner to the muddy front yard.

“Are you registered to vote?” Mr Kennedy asked.
“Yeah,” the man replied.
“Have you voted yet?”
“No, not yet.”
“Do you think you might vote Democrat?”
“Prob’ly so.”

And with that, Mr Kennedy, a local Democratic activist, and two fellow volunteers left a sample ballot and some campaign literature about Mr Obama – in case it would help translate a probable vote into an actual one.

A bustling town of about 15,000 that gets its character and economy from the major university here, Appalachian State University (ASU), Boone is one of the many places the Obama campaign has tried to entrench itself in North Carolina, a traditionally Republican state it hopes to turn Democratic blue this year.
By Erika Niedowski, Washington Bureau Chief

Boone, NC...We will overwhelmingly support Obama in Watauga County. No Republicans are even running for county office. The students are fired up and heavily Democratic. The Party HQ and Obama HQ are buzzing. We have 3 paid Obama staffers in town. Andy Ball and his College Democrats are extremely organized. I work as a campus outreach volunteer for a local organization in addition to my day job so I guess I'm a community organizer.

Posted by: willandjansdad1 | October 28, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't even listen to McCain supporters anymore. You can tell from their comments that they already know they're LOSERS. You can even see it in McCain's face these days. Just make an “L” with your thumb and first finger, hold it to your forehead, and that's the new John McCain salute.

Posted by: FellowTraveler | October 28, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Why is Obama willing to talk with dictators but not willing to talk to American people.
We want to know who this guy really is?

Don't give your vote to a man who no one really knows.

Posted by: JimR4 | October 28, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

ChangeWhat....you voted for Bush twice, didn't you? Don't lie. Thanks for ruining our country. That is un-American.

Posted by: RHPa | October 28, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I was on the fence about volunteering before I read this article. Now I'm signed up to canvas in Nevada. Thanks, Dan.

Posted by: blairgolson | October 28, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Here is a really intestering article from a conservative financial/wealth management company. Hanlon explains why the GOP canidate doesnt make sense to republicans anymore. His ideas are flat and no longer represent the vast majority of the county.

Posted by: macebruce | October 28, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Role Reversal

Would the country's collective point of view be different?

Ponder the following:

What if the Obamas had paraded five children across the stage, including a three month old infant and an unwed, pregnant teenage daughter?

What if John McCain was a former president of the Harvard Law Review?

What if Barack Obama finished fifth from the bottom of his graduating class?

What if McCain had only married once and Obama was a divorcee?

What if Obama was the candidate who left his first wife after a severely disfiguring car accident?

What if Obama had met his second wife in a bar and had a long affair while he was still married?

What if Michelle Obama was the wife who not only became addicted to painkillers but also acquired them illegally through her charitable organization?

What if Cindy McCain graduated from Harvard?

What if Obama had been a member of the Keating Five?(The Keating Five were five United States Senators accused of corruption in 1989, igniting a major political scandal as part of the larger Savings and Loan crisis of the late 1980s and early 1990s.)

What if McCain was a charismatic, eloquent speaker?

What if Obama couldn't read from a teleprompter?

What if Obama was the one who had military experience that included discipline problems and a record of crashing seven planes?

What if Obama was the one who was known to display publicly, on many occasions, a serious anger management problem?

What if Michelle Obama's family had made their money from beer distribution?

What if the Obamas had adopted a white child?

You could easily add to this list. If these questions reflected reality do you really believe the election numbers would be as close as they are?

Posted by: RHPa | October 28, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: macebruce | October 28, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Obama Supporters:

Time volunteer - get to ACORN and register all your dead relatives and make sure they vote several times! $10 per vote for you!

We did it to Hillary and we will do it to McCain!

Thanks for your help in stealing this election!

Sincerely
Barack Obama

Posted by: pgr88 | October 28, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Why are democrats so willing to give away their birth right to Obama for a bowl of beans.

Posted by: JimR4 | October 28, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RHPa | October 28, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

McCain vs. Obama: Which Candidate Can You Afford? How Could the Next President Affect Your Financial Plan?

Voyant:

I am loving this tool. I created a better plan than my financial planner gave me. I fired him. I’m done with paper financial plans.

Posted by: JimTallby74 | October 28, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RHPa | October 28, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA LIES ... and MORE LIES ...
Obama: John McCain Will Tax Health Care Benefits For The First Time And Will Be the Largest Middle Class Tax Increase In History.

THE FACTS
This Obama charge is a blatant mischaracterization of the McCain Health Plan. It only focuses on the fact that the value of the employer provided insurance will now show up as additional income for the employees - what he fails to mention - is that John McCain's generous refundable tax credit ($5,000 for families and $2,500 for individuals) will not only shield millions of families from a tax increase but will actually give them MORE dollars to invest in their health care needs.

The McCain Plan DOES NOT tax:

1. Premiums paid by families and individuals
2. Employers for providing health care coverage
3. Medical expenses like the cost of a procedure or medication
4. Insurance claims

Approach Supported By Obama's Own Advisor: This is an approach supported by Barack Obama's own Senior Economic Advisor Jason Furman who wrote that "we could scrap the current deduction altogether and replace it with progressive tax credits that, together with other changes, would ensure that every American has affordable health insurance."

Better Than "Members of Congress": Under the McCain Plan, your employer can provide you with health insurance as good as a "Member of Congress" (approximately $12,000), and you would pay no more in taxes - regardless of your tax bracket. In fact, you would have additional money left over from the McCain tax credit to put in a health savings account.

Posted by: nnia | October 28, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Fellow Obama supporters will enjoy this one. The website below allows you to create a custom news video using the name of a friend. When your friend clicks on the link they'll see a very realistic news cast about how the whole nation is angry because your friend didn't vote for Obama. It's very funny and good way prod any lazy voters you know.

Link:

Posted by: FellowTraveler | October 28, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA LIES ... and MORE LIES ...

THE FACTS

The McCain Plan DOES NOT tax:

1. Premiums paid by families and individuals
2. Employers for providing health care coverage
3. Medical expenses like the cost of a procedure or medication
4. Insurance claims

Posted by: nnia | October 28, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Do you believe Barack Obama would protect and defend the Constitution?

John McCain-Sara Palin Health plan vs Barack Obama-Joe Biden http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/19ba2f1c-c03f-4ac2-8cd5-5cf2edb527cf.htm

This is the most important election in US history.

Posted by: JimR4 | October 28, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA LIES ... and MORE LIES ...

THE FACTS

The McCain Plan DOES NOT tax:

1. Premiums paid by families and individuals
2. Employers for providing health care coverage
3. Medical expenses like the cost of a procedure or medication
4. Insurance claims

Posted by: nnia | October 28, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Wingers are going down hard. Their relentless buttheadedness is coming back to bite them in the ass - hard.

Go to: www.buttheadpolice.com

Vote for McCain, Palin and other extreme buttheads to get asses stamped on their head. Yup... Check it out. Spread the word!

Posted by: wakeupUSA1 | October 28, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

WHAT THE WASHINGTON POST won't report:

"Obama Affinity to Marxists Dates Back to College Days"

-WAKE UP EVERYONE.

Posted by: InHarmsWay | October 28, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

sagereader;

Fox News reports it was republicans who caused the market meltdown

FOX NEWS REPORT;
AP IMPACT: Mortgage firm arranged stealth campaign.
Monday, October 20, 2008

By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON — Freddie Mac secretly paid a Republican consulting firm $2 million to kill legislation that would have regulated and trimmed the mortgage finance giant and its sister company, Fannie Mae, three years before the government took control to prevent their collapse.

In the cross hairs of the campaign carried out by DCI of Washington were Republican senators and a regulatory overhaul bill sponsored by Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb. DCI's chief executive is Doug Goodyear, whom John McCain's campaign later hired to manage the GOP convention in September.

Freddie Mac's payments to DCI began shortly after the Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee sent Hagel's bill to the then GOP-run Senate on July 28, 2005. All GOP members of the committee supported it; all Democrats opposed it.

McCain's campaign manager, Rick Davis, or his lobbying firm has taken more than $2 million from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac dating to 2000. In December, Freddie Mac contributed $250,000 to last month's GOP convention.

Posted by: garygelormino1 | October 28, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

sagereader;

Fox News reports it was republicans who caused the market meltdown

FOX NEWS REPORT;
AP IMPACT: Mortgage firm arranged stealth campaign.
Monday, October 20, 2008

By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer

Posted by: garygelormino1 | October 28, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Why are so many desperate Republicans reading the Post and posting their pathetic whines here?

If you're so supportive of McCain/Palin, go out like I just did for Obama and work for their campaigns. What are you doing lounging around your computers?

But hanging here must assuage your fears somehow or maybe you just KNOW what's going to happen on November 4th and you need an outlet for the pain.

Gotta go, many houses to canvass before I sleep!

Posted by: JC505 | October 28, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

where would one move if they were worried that the US was too liberal? i can't think of a more conservative country (at least in the terms framed by the religious right).
i mean, right off the bat we can eliminate canada and europe, since they are far more liberal than the USA already. mexico? that would be ironic, considering the conservative policy...russia? georgia?

Posted by: bacaje | October 28, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bacaje | October 28, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

sagereader;sagereader,sagereader
Iam giving you FOX NEWS AND THEIR WEBSITE and you give me YOUTUBE???
AAhahahahahaHAHAHAHhahahHAHAHA

Fox News reports it was republicans who caused the market meltdown

FOX NEWS REPORT;
AP IMPACT: Mortgage firm arranged stealth campaign.
Monday, October 20, 2008

By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer

Posted by: garygelormino1 | October 28, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

McCain will win as voters come to their senses.

Obama will be exposed and jailed for voter fraud.

Biden will get his own tv show based on gaffes and bloppers.

Posted by: 37thandOSt | October 28, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

McCain = 49%

Obama = 51%

Victory to Hope

A close loss for The Deregulator

Posted by: Phil6 | October 28, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: republicrat | October 28, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

sagereader;

Fox News reports it was republicans who caused the market meltdown

FOX NEWS REPORT;
AP IMPACT: Mortgage firm arranged stealth campaign.
Monday, October 20, 2008

By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer

Posted by: garygelormino1 | October 28, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

garygelormino1: See the truth here:

WHY DID OBAMA GET OVER $100 THOUSAND FROM FANNIE MAE???

OBAMA GAVE A PAYBACK TO FANNIE MAE

Back in 2004, when the Republicans controlled the House, they tried to have a hearing on the threat that the financial mismanagement of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac presented to the U.S. economy. Here’s the video evidence of the Democrats blocking efforts to hold officials accountable. This problem did not get the publicity it deserved in the liberal media, such as the New York Times and the Washington Post. This incredible Congressional video shows Republicans in Congress trying to regulate better Fannie Mae and how the Democrats fought that tooth and nail, even referring to criticism of former chairman Raines as a "lynching".

LOOK AT THE ACTUAL VIDEO:

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

As FDR once said, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." It sure looks like he hit the nail on the head.

Fear of change leads to stagnation, and if we don't embrace change this year that is exactly where will be in four years, a stagnant cesspool that used to be a super power.

Posted by: OldManTalking | October 28, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

McCain = 49%

Obama = 51%

Victory to Hope

A close loss for The Deregulator

Posted by: Phil6 | October 28, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: republicrat | October 28, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

sagereader;

Fox News reports it was republicans who caused the market meltdown

FOX NEWS REPORT;
AP IMPACT: Mortgage firm arranged stealth campaign.
Monday, October 20, 2008

By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer

Posted by: garygelormino1 | October 28, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

sagereader:
Even the homeless have ethics, which is more than I can say for you. Your $10 was poorly gotten, and poorly given.

Posted by: JerseyGiant | October 28, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

republicrat, Nobama raises taxes and then gives you a bit backL

OBAMA DISTORTS AND LIES -- ALL AMERICANS TO PAY HIGHER TAXES

Yes, it will affect Americans even if their household income is as low as $25,000.

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Uhhh, JerseyGiant;

Would you like some Cheese to go;

With all that Whine?

Libbies!

The "Dingleberries" of Politics! ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | October 28, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

sagereader;

Fox News reports it was republicans who caused the market meltdown

FOX NEWS REPORT;
AP IMPACT: Mortgage firm arranged stealth campaign.
Monday, October 20, 2008

By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer

Posted by: garygelormino1 | October 28, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA'S DISASTROUS PLAN: DRIVER'S LICENSES for ILLEGALS

Obama wants to give a driver's license to any illegal alien who wants one. The 9/11 plot depended on such licenses.
Nineteen terrorists infiltrate the U.S.
Thirteen get driver’s licenses.

The 9/11 plot depended on easy to get licenses.
Obama’s plan gives a license to any illegal who wants one.
A license they can use to get government benefits, a mortgage, board a plane, even illegally vote.

LOOK AT THE ACTUAL VIDEO:

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

McCain = 46%

Obama = 44%

Victory to the Maverick

A close loss for The Redistributor

Posted by: Phil6 | October 28, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

sagereader, with all due respect, you are full of crap.

Posted by: zukermand | October 28, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

JerseyGiant:
You wouldn't be, by chance, the guy I gave the $10 to, would you??

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Redistribution of Wealth

Today on my way to lunch I passed a homeless guy with a sign that read .....

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse
_________________________________________
I have seen this story cut and pasted by soooooooo many folks today - give it a break. It doesn't make sense.

Obama is giving a tax break to those making less than $250,000 - if they are working they will still be paying taxes only less than someone making over $250,000. Last time I check those who make more pay more, those who make less pay less. Those who don't work don't get a tax break because well- you can't get a tax break on a job you don't have.

Posted by: republicrat | October 28, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Point blank. no one is trusting him now.

We have a better minds in America to be the next young President, not this mind.

It like protecting Gothem City caper.

Life is a open book..

This is the calibar of the mind that people are chosing..
Remember Joe the Plumber.. well he said, you will not get punished in the interview with the Red Ticket Candidate.

Ecomony talk has ended, people discovered his underlying of spearding the wealth of business people..

People esp. trusted Obama for all his economy statements.. this one was accounting issue,
THEY DONT TRUST HIM NOW.
Go to Joe the Plumber of people Videos.. on McCain site..they will do the accounting for Obama. They get it.

IN PUBLIC ARENA, THIS IS PG-13.
Added Obama: "God bless the people of South Carolina, God bless America, and (OBCENE WORD)BLANK you, Nate."
AND FUTHER HIS IS IN ANOTHER COUNTRY.
THE CURRENT NEWS...SECURITY

LIBERTY VS LIBERIAL
I VOTE FOR THE NEXT YOUNG AMERICAN PRESIDENT..

What it is.. and if this was the same for other party, I wouldn't vote as well.

Its not about.. it is... What O is.

Posted by: suttons77hotmailcom | October 28, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Chicago, Illinois

These facts will give you some perspective!

Perhaps the U.S.should pull out of Chicago?

Body count: In the last six months
292 killed (murdered) in Chicago;
221 killed in Iraq.

Who represents Illinois???

Senators Barack Obama & Dick Durbin
Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr.
Gov. Rod Blogojevich
House leader Mike Madigan
Atty Gen Lisa Madigan (Mike's kid)
Mayor Richard M. Daley (Mayor Richard J.Daley's son)

....leadership in Illinois.....all Democrats.

Thank you for the combat zone in Chicago.
Of course, they're all blaming each other.
Can't blame Republicans; they're aren't any!

State pension fund $44 Billion in debt, worst in country
Cook County (Chicago) sales tax 10.25% highest in country
Chicago school system rated one of the worst in the country

This is the political culture in Illinois from which Obama comes.

And he's going to "fix" Washington politics for us!

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Reading the comments from the McCain workers, the one emotion they express is fear. Seems McCain has really sold them on fear.

Obama's workers, by contrast, are inspired.

I'll take inspiration over fear.

Posted by: republicrat | October 28, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

sagereader:

Your family must be proud of you, I gather.

Posted by: JerseyGiant | October 28, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Redistribution of Wealth

Today on my way to lunch I passed a homeless guy with a sign that read "Vote Obama, I need the money."

Once in the restaurant my server had on a "Obama 08" tie, again I laughed as he had given away his political preference--just imagine the coincidence.

When the bill came I decided not to tip the server and explained to him that I was exploring the Obama redistribution of wealth concept. He stood there in disbelief while I told him that I was going to redistribute his tip to the homeless guy outside. The server angrily stormed from my sight.

I went outside, gave the homeless guy $10 and told him to thank the server inside as I've decided he could use the money more.

At the end of the day, I realized the homeless guy was grateful for the money he did not earn, but the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn.

I guess Obama's redistribution of wealth is easy to swallow until it happens to you.

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

JerseyGiant:

Drink and enjoy with your Kool Aid

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Fox News reports it was republicans who caused the market meltdown

FOX NEWS REPORT;
AP IMPACT: Mortgage firm arranged stealth campaign.
Monday, October 20, 2008

By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer

Posted by: garygelormino1 | October 28, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

sagereader:

Stop poisoning the water system with your septic swill. Thanks.

Posted by: JerseyGiant | October 28, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA DISTORTS AND LIES -- ALL AMERICANS TO PAY HIGHER TAXES

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA’S MIDDLE CLASS TAX CUT - $1200
McCAIN’S MIDDLE CLASS TAX CUT - $300 + LOWER
CORPORATE TAXES FOR BUSINESES CREATING
MIDDLE CLASS JOBS
LET’S SEE- $1200 CHECK VS $300 CHECK+JOB
hmmmmm, what a dilemma…
Posted by: thecannula

______________________________________
What job? All McCain says is 1), I know how to win wars, 2) I know how to get BinLaden, 3) I know how to fix the economy, 4) I know how to create jobs - all without say how he knows. At least with Obama the first thing he looking at is revitalizing our infrastructure which alone will create thousands of jobs nationwide.

Well at least you've gotten off that "Obama is a socialist" kick.

Posted by: republicrat | October 28, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Is there anyone who is concerned with cut and paste junk from campaign swill? Who needs it? Where does it come from? Does it not suggest the very manner in which campaigns are run has been flawed? Can't I simply make my point without having to trash someone?

Even playgrounds have rules, but the data seem to indicate strange outcomes come election time.

Posted by: JerseyGiant | October 28, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA’S MIDDLE CLASS TAX CUT - $1200
McCAIN’S MIDDLE CLASS TAX CUT - $300 + LOWER
CORPORATE TAXES FOR BUSINESES CREATING
MIDDLE CLASS JOBS
LET’S SEE- $1200 CHECK VS $300 CHECK+JOB
hmmmmm, what a dilemma…
Posted by: thecannula

______________________________________

Well at least you've gotten off that "Obama is a socialist" kick.

Posted by: republicrat | October 28, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

this is calling all JM followers to do a very serious rethink and not allow divisive and silly rhetorics to do the right thing....vote Obama/Biden 08 believe me the reward you will speak off in times to come and be able to count yourself as part of history makers

Posted by: Texcity4obama | October 28, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA REDISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH AUDIO FOUND

OBAMA IS A DANGEROUS SOCIALIST

OBAMA WANTS YOUR MONEY FOR OTHER PEOPLE

Listen to an audio interview Obama gave in 2001 with Chicago Public Radio WBEZ.FM. Obama discusses the best way to bring about a redistribution of wealth, how the Warren Supreme Court interpreted the law and the fact that he thinks it wasn't terribly radical.

LISTEN TO OBAMA IN HIS OWN EVIL WORDS

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

When reporters get down to the point where they feel reporting results of polls that are averaged, that is one or more poll results lumped together, putting all the individual margins of error aside, then the public is not well-informed or well-served. Wouldn't you rather see the same polling organization, using the same methodology, display the resulting data from period to period over time? The benefit would be to see if there was any change whatsoever, without having to work so hard. But no, not in this election cycle; we have to suffer through "polls of polls" - good heavens! Dan Balz, if you are there and your vibrant self, please see if you could put together such a display, a simple line chart, in the manner I've suggested. You, the editors and the public would be better served if you did.
If you want detail, give me an email. Thanks.

Who knows? Maybe someone will actually be farther ahead than we thought? You think?

Posted by: JerseyGiant | October 28, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA DISTORTS AND LIES -- ALL AMERICANS TO PAY HIGHER TAXES

Posted by: sagereader | October 28, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

McCain. Is that lipstick on your joh...?

Posted by: DrWho2 | October 28, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA’S MIDDLE CLASS TAX CUT - $1200

McCAIN’S MIDDLE CLASS TAX CUT - $300 + LOWER

CORPORATE TAXES FOR BUSINESES CREATING
MIDDLE CLASS JOBS

LET’S SEE- $1200 CHECK VS $300 CHECK+JOB

hmmmmm, what a dilemma…

Posted by: thecannula | October 28, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I keep reading that these McCain supporters and other working class Americans are scared or frightened of Obama. What exactly are they scared of? It is interesting that they are rarely articulate their fears in any rational manner. The irrational fear of African American men that is prevalent in white America is surfacing here. It is an ugly side America that I am glad that we are finally acknowledging exists. From now on, it will be difficult for white America to pretend that there feeling are real and not imagined by black America. Hatred, bigotry and stereotyping is embedded in our society and only through conversation can we ever get past it though I have great hope for the coming generations.

Posted by: Simon2 | October 28, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

hey guys, get real

McCain is going to win this hands down!
Here's how
1- voter suppression
2- voting machines -- if Obama gets too many votes, our machines will just switch them to McCain
3- even if Obama gets by steps 1 and 2, we still have the supreme court which can and will step in to assure a mccain victory

This will work, won't it?
It will work, right?
We can suppress the votes right?
They are OUR voting machines right?

Somebody please answer!
Please answer somebody!

Posted by: paloalto | October 28, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I never liked a guy who would urge patience during a hurricane. I mean that type of guy must think that he is the Christ himself trying to calm the waters.

I do like quiet confidence which is the exact opposite of the panic rangers we have in charge of the Federal Government today. Heck, Wallstreet is full of panic rangers, this must be one of those negative paradigms that spreads through society.

The party of Cool will prevail with the Baby Boomer set. Conservatives are just not cool. They tend to try to panic the masses for dubious objectives. It's funny how some want to twist a populist movement into a socialistic overthrow.

Those losers on Capital Hill overthrew themselves like little Teddy Stevens of Alaska. There is nothing worse than on old fool. But, maybe McCain is an old fool too. I don't think McCain ever made it to "Elder Stateman" status because he chose the route of politics along time ago.
Oh it takes abit of politic skill to survive in Washington, D.C. And that is why I am looking forward to Donald Rumsfeld's contribution to posperity. Hope that guy will win a Pullitzer Prize, I would expect no less of quality.

Posted by: truthhurts | October 28, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA/BIDEN '08!

Posted by: DinahS | October 28, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

ChangeWhat how's that claim that Obama is a communist working out for you?

Is anybody paying attention?
Do you still support Bush?

Posted by: khote14 | October 28, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

American's rarely have this oportunity.

The chance to make "The Man" take a Hike.

The hard pressed US Tax Payer after $150 oil and gas through the roof, economy down the hole, rising prices, the stupid Iraq war, after having their 401Ks and the pensions halved and then halved again. After no trickle down but plenty of corruption trillion dollar welfare for the wealthy and all that is not even half of it; those US taxyers and voters could perhaps be described as being "AS MAD AS HELL"

So you can perhaps see why they will be relishing the chance to tell John McCain and all his commie GOP cronies to "GET A JOB!"

Posted by: walker1 | October 28, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Democrats for John McCain and Sarah Palin in 2008

Posted by: hclark1 | October 28, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

It is stunning that the Marxist really believes that the Court would determine economic policy and promote Socialism. Obama is a very dangerous fraudulent anti American political hack. He IS ANTI AMERICAN!!

Posted by: ChangeWhat | October 28, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

When I read comments from one or the other side stating "they are scared". It demonstrate, how we have lost respect for others who disagree with us. It does not matter who wins this election, but if this country continue to bring generation after generation with such attitude of hatred for other humans with different views/opinion, very soon a hard-line movement will emerge to destroy this oldest union.

Wake up and save this United States of America ! We can disagree and be respectful of each other.

Posted by: yeda924 | October 28, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Every Day I find myself despairing more and more.

I do not think I am alone. I believe the Worlds Markets reflect the negative impact of what is looming.

As much as I despise Obama, and the Socialist Cretins behind him;

John McCain is proving himself the be so out of touch, and so Bone-headed, that he makes O'Bomba-Nation look good!

For many of the reasons Colin Powell stated!

It is STILL not too late! Although, truth be known, it MIGHT be.

Sarah Palin needs to be PULLED TODAY!

Let her take Steven's Slot! See, just HOW popular she is and IF she can keep a Long Term Senate Seat!

I DOUBT it!

THAT Reality McCain, is WHY she is DEAD WEIGHT!

Cute, but WHOLLY UN-QUALIFIED!

It's the ECONOMY MORON!

IF, the situation was like it is now, BACK during the Primaries;

IT WOULD BE THE MITT ROMNEY SHOW!

Barak WHO?

Get Mitt in as VEEP!

TODAY FOOL!

Posted by: SAINT---The | October 28, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Saw a great bumper sticker today on the back of an old gentleman’s car that read:

Alaska
O-MAMA!
Where the air is cold
And the Governor is HOT!

Posted by: kparc | October 28, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

McInsane volunteers have been out in force for months.
They typically infest the WaPo comment threads...typing feverishly...(Obamas a shape shifting alien from the planet Kenyastein)....(Obamas responsible for the holocuast)...(Obama is a Muslim who heads the Illuminatti)...

Iam serious, Iam not making any of this up, its truely what McInsane supporters have been typing for months now.

Just peruse the posts made by the McInsaniacs. You really can't make this stuff up. The conspiracy kooks of the GOP...the dellussional rantings of the neocon nazi's...its absolutely off the hook.

The patients are running the asylum as it concerns the Repub party now....the right wingnuts are in control and driving for the cliff.

Posted by: garygelormino1 | October 28, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

McCain voters should stay home, in fact, they probably will. These same voters brought us the last eight years of the RoveBushCheney debacle. This time they should give us and the rest of the world a break. You cost a lot of people their lives and you cost everybody lot and lots of money. What do you think, you got it wrong with Cheney, but you got it right with Palin? Stay home, please.

Posted by: shrink2 | October 28, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse