Vacations for Votes? Lindsey Graham Makes an Offer

By Juliet Eilperin
HANOVERTON, Ohio -- With just four days left until the election, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) is trying a novel approach to help his friend John McCain win the presidency: free vacations in South Carolina for swing state voters.

At a rally this morning at United High School, Graham posed a simple question to the audience.

"Anybody been to South Carolina?" Graham asked, as the crowd applauded. "If we win Ohio, you get a free weekend in Myrtle Beach."

The audience welcomed the senator's offer, just as they appreciated it when he followed up by telling them how much their votes mattered. "I may talk funny, but this I know: The road to the White House runs through Ohio," Graham said, sparking a round of cheers.

McCain and the allies who appeared with him onstage here -- Graham and former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani -- also seemed to place more faith in a recent poll taken at United High than the national and state polls that show McCain trailing the Democratic presidential nominee. Giuliani predicted the results in Ohio next week would mirror the recent poll results at the school: "46 percent for John McCain, 37 percent for Barack Obama."

The GOP presidential nominee echoed that theme, saying he was confident Ohioans would deliver the same results as "the vote that took place right here at the home of the Golden Eagles."

By Web Politics Editor  |  October 31, 2008; 10:34 AM ET
Categories:  Battlegrounds , John McCain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eagleburger: Palin Not Ready to Be President
Next: Washington Times Loses Seat on Obama Plane

Comments

Just for the record, Lindsey Graham may talk funny but it's not due to his accent.

Very few South Carolinians talk funny like Lindsey does.

He also walks funny--all bent over. He's been walking that way since he went to Washington.

Posted by: WorkingTommyC | October 31, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I live in South Carolina. And I won't be voting for Senator Graham. He's spent the last two years on the road campaigning for McCain rather than serving as our senator. Maybe he needs a Myrtle Beach vacation so that he can reconnect with South Carolinians. Remember us Senator? Oh - and by the way - Obama is gaining on McCain in the Palmetto State - too bad no one thought we were in play this time around. It might have made a difference. Obama/Biden - Vote!

Posted by: ggjbbj | October 31, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Sick.... Truely sick.

Why not just have Cindy stand outside the polls offering 100 dollar bills to everyone who votes for McCain.

Legal action should be taken against anyone who would do something like that.

It is flat out wrong.

Posted by: GirlfromAlaska | October 31, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

It it illegal to offer gifts for votes?

Posted by: Roofelstoon | October 31, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 31, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Gator-ron:

I accept your apology.

Posted by: JakeD | October 31, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

JakeD, you spelled Sarah Palin's middle name wrong. You added a letter.

It should say Sarah LOUSE Palin.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | October 31, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

There has to be something wrong here. I wonder if the people in Ohio would take him up on the vacation, how quick would he run? Lindsey Graham is a Republican Lackey. He was up Bush's a** as long as he was in power and now that he thinks McCain may have a shot at the presidency he is up his a**. I haven't been able to take a vacation this year because of the failed policies of the Republican administration and now a butt wipe like Graham is offering a vacation for a vote. I hope all South Carolinians will see what a suck up he is and vote to remove him from office. He is a loser backing a loser.

Posted by: racam | October 31, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"A bigot is someone who capitalizes the Muslim middle name of a political candidate."
--------
Though I agree with you that JakeD is a bigot I must mention that BO's middle name is of Arabian origin, not religious origin.

Posted by: JRM2 | October 31, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I capitalize John SIDNEY McCain and Sarah LOUISE Palin's middle names too.

Posted by: JakeD

********************************************

Well, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a... oh, never mind. I should know better than to wrestle a lipstick-wearing pig.

Nice costume--you're not fooling anyone. Happy Halloween.

Posted by: Holmes76 | October 31, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD

********************************************

Nice costume--you're not fooling anyone. Happy Halloween.

Posted by: Holmes76 | October 31, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD

********************************************

Nice costume--you're not fooling anyone. Happy Halloween.

Posted by: Holmes76 | October 31, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

JakeD I misinterpreted your peculiarity as bigotry.

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 31, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Obama Supporters Using Huckabee in new online ad.

Criminal charges may be brought up on Palin for ethics issues? http://www.hotpres.com

Posted by: pastor123 | October 31, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Obama Supporters Using Huckabee in new online ad.

Posted by: pastor123 | October 31, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | October 31, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Obviously, Senator Graham is not offering a free weekend in exchange for a vote. Barack HUSSEIN Obama, however, is offering free healthcare and everything else under the sun.

Posted by: JakeD
***********************
It's Friday and you are full of bile as usual.

Posted by: LABC | October 31, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

During the primaries one thing that was important to me was that the Obama plan was not a mandate. Health care is a right. But I would not mind making it also a responsibility. Where government support was conditional on things like stopping smoking, maintaining a proper weight and stopping smoking, as long as there is support for those activities, where necessary by the employer as well.

There should be no free lunches.

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 31, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

The non partisan leaders in our country are going for Obama. Many of the newspapers that supported Bush are going for Obama. Only the ignorant and uninformed and the political hacks or the ethically challenged are left behind. Lying and buying votes are what Republicans are doing today. What will they have for tomorrow?

A bigot is someone who capitalizes the Muslim middle name of a political candidate. I wonder what the lawyer impostor thinks.

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 31, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm an old retired guy who doesn’t have to work and I can honestly say it won't matter to me in the long run who wins this election. At my age any election I participate in could be my last. I do believe however that the current administration has been the worst in my lifetime (born during FDR). I don't think anyone can rationally deny that. We have had 8 years of corruption, unnecessary war and shredding of the Constitution. Over the last month we have watched with our own eyes the slow motion impoverishment of America. Now this same party wants us to give them 4 more years so that John the "maverick" can fix Washington. ...like I was born yesterday.

If "small town working class" rust-belt voters in Ohio, Pa., Michigan and Indiana help re-elect the GOP then I for one don't want to hear anymore whining from them about their disappearing jobs and livelihoods, the high cost of college and gas, lack of health care etc. Let Johnnie' and Sarah’s "patriotism" put food on your table. Go flip burghers!

Screw 'ya. Cling to your guns and religion and “small town values”. Pray to Jesus when you go hunting for a meal. Stay with that church and keep your weapon. You will need both the soup kitchen and the rifle. You will deserve what you get. Your kids can go to community college if you can afford it and you can forget about ever retiring. You’re probably out of work anyway.

I got mine already. I live comfortably in the sunny South on a golf course in a paid off house, got my steady income, my "socialist" medicare and prescription drug coverage that you younger people wish you had but will never get under the Republicans. I sent my girls to college and they are successfully out on their own. The world won't run out of gas before I go and the planet won't get too hot.

A McCain election ain't gonna hurt me.

As Johnny Carson used to say - I upped my lifestyle - up yours!

I’m an old man. Trust me on this. God helps those who help themselves - if you're in deep doodoo economically and you vote Republican for their "values", you deserve it.

Posted by: toritto | October 31, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Bribing voters? Couldn't there be an investigation into this?

Posted by: parkerfl1 | October 31, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

This sounds like a plan to buy votes. Even in jest it is tasteless. Quite in keeping with the campaign of John McCain.

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 31, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | October 31, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 31, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

That's nice. Bribery.

Not like they'll have a home or job when they get back from their little "winners" vacation.

It' the economy, stupid!