WaPo-ABC Daily Tracking Poll, Release #1

By Jon Cohen and Jennifer Agiesta
Democrat Barack Obama enters the final two weeks of the presidential campaign holding a clear lead over Republican John McCain, aided by voters' focus on the shaky economy and by their perceptions that he is better equipped to handle those problems than his rival.

The new findings come from the first release of the Washington Post-ABC News daily tracking poll, which will provide a continuing look at the campaign between now and Nov. 4. The Post will offer daily updates on the state of the race in the morning newspaper and each day at 5:00 p.m., along with analysis of the numbers.

The new survey shows Obama leading McCain by 53 percent to 44 percent among likely voters, little changed from a separate Post-ABC News poll released last Monday. Among all registered voters, Obama's lead is 10 percentage points, 52 percent to 42 percent.

Continue reading at Behind the Numbers»

By Web Politics Editor  |  October 20, 2008; 5:25 PM ET
Categories:  The Pollster
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McCain Optimistic About Florida Outcome
Next: Inauguration Inflation Underway at Washington Hotels

Comments

I thought that Sen. Obama already won by a landslide fueled by the record donations from the ”poor” supporters and an onslaught of TV ads. There is no need to vote anymore, the money has won.

Posted by: Wiel | October 20, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Gator-ron:

Tell us more about your early voting experience.

How does it compare to 2000 and 2004?

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 20, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

In North Florida there were no lines but all booths were filled when I arrived. Plenty of enthusiasm around the poll. Things will tighten up a bit.

Posted by: Gator-ron | October 20, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Mark, I've been reading the Washington Post long than two years. Ever since I lived in Maryland. So, change your name if you want.

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 20, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

MarkinAustin, the problem is that I have been posting here under this ID for two years and the rules prohibit signatures by someone other than the actual author.

However, I assume that you did not intend to appropriate my ID and that you will change yours to reflect that you are not I.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | October 20, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I went to vote in Boca Raton FL today and observed 2 hours line. I'll go back tomorrow. How should I break to McCain that if he counts on my vote - he should not.

I am an Independent Voter and I approve this message.

Posted by: Serge_Birbrair | October 20, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

In 2004 wasn't the Bush vs Kerry final margin 3%?

Posted by: washpanther | October 20, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

"Likely" voters are a subset of "registered" voters. They "reliably vote in every election." As for the other "Mark in Austin" I think this town is big enough for the two of us.

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 20, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Likely Voters you say MarkinAustin?

I'm more interested in registered voters. These are the folks who reliably vote in every election.

Likely voters numbers make no sense! You have to be registered to vote!

Posted by: AJ2008 | October 20, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

5:30P post was not from me. Please stop spoofing my sign in ID.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | October 20, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm more interested in LIKELY voters. Gallup and AP/Yahoo had that gap down to 2% lead for Obama.

Posted by: MarkInAustin | October 20, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse