Washington Times Loses Seat on Obama Plane

By Howard Kurtz
The Washington Times, which has had a reporter traveling with Barack Obama's campaign for nearly two years, has been kicked off his press plane.

"The decision came just three days after the editorial page endorsed John McCain," Times editor in chief John Solomon said this morning. "I hope a candidate who says he wants to unite the country isn't using a litmus test for who can cover him."

What's more, the Obama operation has ejected reporters for the New York Post and Dallas Morning News, which have also endorsed McCain. And room was suddenly made for two magazines that have not been traveling with the Democratic nominee, Essence and Ebony.

Obama adviser Anita Dunn says the issue is purely one of limited space. "Anyone who suggests a linkage with editorial endorsements is just plain wrong," she said.

Dunn noted that "two of our largest editorial critics are ensconced on that plane, Fox News and the Wall Street Journal," as well as Fox radio. She said seats were also given to Obama's hometown papers, the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times, which have not been traveling regularly with the candidate for budgetary reasons. Networks and news magazines have not gotten all their requested seats, and adding a second plane -- which has been done in past campaigns -- would slow things down and hamper the candidate's ambitious travel schedule, Dunn said.

The Washington Times isn't buying these explanations. Solomon said the Obama campaign has not objected to the work of his reporter, Christina Bellantoni, but "suddenly didn't have room on the plane for her. This feels like the journalistic equivalent of redistributing the wealth. We've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars covering Senator Obama's campaign from the start."

The McCain campaign has excluded two prominent critics, New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd and Time columnist Joe Klein, from its plane.

But Dunn insisted that editorial criticism was not a factor. She said her staff is working with the excluded reporters to find them hotel accommodations if they can catch up with Obama on their own, and has offered them space on the plane of running mate Joe Biden. "It's not like we're trying to block coverage of our campaign," she said.

By Web Politics Editor  |  October 31, 2008; 10:51 AM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Barack Obama , Media Notes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vacations for Votes? Lindsey Graham Makes an Offer
Next: Obama Extends Fight to Three New States

Comments

I will be e-/Kindle subscribing to the three newspapers that were kicked off the O-Plane.

Some excellent thoughts here, but wouldn't it be nice to limit the input to around ten lines? There are those who sure like to rage on and are full of themselves.

Posted by: ShellyD1 | November 3, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Barack reminds me of Jim Jones. Obama wants you to believe in "him", not his policies or past - right Joe Biden. But the devil is in the details. This cult of personality cannot stand criticism. So out with the Washington Times and in with
"Ebony" and "Essence". What, no room for "Black Men Magazine" or "Smooth".

Posted by: daavina | October 31, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

So typical of liberals who hate anyone who disagrees with them. They can't stand when facts come out and prove them all liars a deceivers so they use jaclboot thugs to go after them. They tried the same in Missouri by getting some prosecuting attorneys and sheriffs to try and intimidate people who spoke out against Obama and it didn't work here because we see through you cowards. It's amazing how stupid liberals are. They don't want free speech for those who disagree with them and want to take away our second amendment rights too. This is one disabled vet who gave his legs so you liberal losers have some rights and I guarantee, not you, the liar Obama, nor any of your bought and paid for judges and lawyers will succeed. How sad that your candidate can't stand on his non-existent record and takes to hiring thugs, criminals like ACORN and losers from the liberal left to do his biding. You people are too stupid to have a right to vote.

Posted by: Ozark_Sunshine | October 31, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

This paper should be afraid ...very afraid...of doing their Constitutional job to fully vet candidates and give "we the people" facts.
The man with the big money and fine things says Pimp my ride or your on the outside.
What a thug.

Posted by: dottydo | October 31, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Thumbs Up for the Obama campaign! Stand up for all of the American people even those stupid enough endorsing McCain and Palin. Some Americans are blinded by hypocracy and we, the people who do understand and have common sense need to carry stupid citizens into the light for the future of our country and children. Vote Obama!

Posted by: goldieluck | October 31, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"I believe the McCain campaign did the same to the media supporting Obama."

This is so true!!!

Now he's complaining that the only peeps to fly with him are Sean Hannity and ???

Sorry but I can't seem to remember the other guys name.

Posted by: eff-o-dee | October 31, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

think4yourslf,
when you drive through a highway and pay your toll, you pay for the right of using a nice pave road. same thing: if you live in the US, you have to pay taxes so you can keep living in a place where you can make so much money, that even after paying taxes, you are left with a lot of money. Maybe your uncle is being paid 100 times more than the average employee. Maybe he should be paid 40 times more only, and give some bonus to all those hard working employees. The only problem could be that your uncle is a greedy person and wants all the money to himself.

Posted by: fernando1958 | October 31, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

fernando1958,

Deciding how I spend my time is a freedom I enjoy. You can use the fact that I have used my time to post here in any way you would like. Go ahead, tell me I am wrong with no way to back it up. It is easy to close your eyes to the truth and say "no, you don't exist". You simply cannot argue the facts though. Once you gaurantee "coverage" and "access" to millions of people who don't currently have it, without adding the resources to properly handle it you have a problem. Doctors will have even less time to spend with patients, labs will take even longer to provide test results, you will wait longer to get into see the doctor, and the overall quality of care will degrade. It will take years for the supply to catch up to the demand, if in fact it ever does.

I am all for health care for those who need it. I pay full price for mine and will gladly continue to do so. I just do not want to be forced to pay for others more than I already do. Especially since it will mean that the care I receive is of lower quality.

Posted by: ryancaines | October 31, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

anetgroup,

There are many aspects of socialism, that we have grown to rely on, and thats all most of us have as a life expierence as well, but it seems to be getting crazy.
I have a very wealthy uncle who works himself to death to have a great life, I begrudge him nothing, I have lazy cousins who do as little as possible, do I help them when I can yes, but I "owe" them nothing, and I resent the "Government" and Obama telling me I do. I appreciate the respectful discourse.

Posted by: think4yourslf | October 31, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Did the Republican journalists who were thrown off Obama's plane have parachutes ? .... Wouldn't it be interesting to watch them fall like a lump of .... mud

Posted by: gatorsn09 | October 31, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorsn09 | October 31, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"We're moving into the future, the rest can walk !!"

Darn right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All they want to do is post Republican talking points anyway, and they don't need to fly with the winners to accomplish that.

Let's see, what are our talking points for today?

1. Eight years of Republican rule doubled the National debt thereby "taxing" every penny you own through reduced spending power.

2. Reduced Government oversight of the financial industries. 'Nuff said. Gutting of the FDA, EPA and OSHA so we are NOT safer than we were eight years ago.

3. Once again let's lie through our teeth about Obama's positions and associates so we can later claim he's not "reaching across the aisle" after he sitting us down on our "naughty" chairs.

Boo Hoo! Don't worry kiddies, as it will all be over soon enough and the REAL America will once again have a chance to shine under Obama's steady and intelligent leadership.

Posted by: eff-o-dee | October 31, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Who reads the Washington Times any more, other than the loony moonies?

Are they even still in print?

Posted by: BillinChicago1 | October 31, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

ryancaines, obviously you have money and doing very well economically since you have so much extra time which you use to post and post with no end in site. I'm from Peru, living in Canada. I have no deal with the US directly, what makes me independent. I'm also a smart person that reads and listens all the points of view and you are wrong.
Also, you confuse my statement. I said that you were trying to scare people, not that I was scare. You are a well paid contributor from the McCain team to post in all the blogs, as much as possible.
I can see that you prefer to "spread the wealth" on the 1% rich Americans as usual. Guess what? things are going to change this Tuesday Nov. 4th... get use to it.

Posted by: fernando1958 | October 31, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

You neocons claiming Obama will turn America socialist are not only wrong, you're ignorant and have not done any due dilligence on what socialism actually is.

Per Webster: a system of society or group living in which there is no private property b: a system or condition of society in which the means of production are owned and controlled by the state.

Thats not his plan. And on top of that McCain's ONLY thing he has proposed to fix the economy by buying up mortgages in default IS actually socialism....and won't fix anything.

But hey, keep spewing your un-researched, un-intelligent regurgitation of Palin (we all know how smart she is - 6 colleges 5 years and only a journalism degree!)...maybe thats your way of venting? Perhaps? Or maybe you all are just that ignorant and stupid?

Posted by: beaversrus | October 31, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

bgreen2224,
So you dont care for Capitalism, and anyone with an opposing view should be tossed from a moving plane....very nice, very mature, very sad. I think Obama would be proud of your support.

Posted by: think4yourslf | October 31, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey think4yourslf,
You said, "I am a middle income worker, who has to self insure his family right now, which is a hardship, but I would rather choose, then to have socialized health care or socialized anything else."

Well said, except for the fact that a vote for McCain would be a vote against your own situation.
Socialized medicine would ease a burden on you and your family. Socialism is just a means for society to allocate resources in a specific area...not every resource in every area.
Free education is socialism, as is social security, medicare and your public library.

Posted by: anetgroup | October 31, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beaversrus | October 31, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

As George Bush Once Said " Either you're with the terrorists or you're with Us "
Well, Obama got it right. Throw the right wing, truth distortion, cold war mentalities off the plane of hope.
We're moving into the future, the rest can walk !!

Posted by: dylan915 | October 31, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

We're moving into the future, the rest can walk !!

Posted by: dylan915 | October 31, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Voters should be very concerned about this as it shows what will happen to America if Obama is elected. Obama is attempting to shut down opposition reporting; what happens in communist countries when someone opposes the government there? Tanks run over you (China), you go to jail, you are killed. If Obama is elected, we will see oppression in America. Obama's ego is such that he will do anything to eliminate his opponent; he was raised on communist ideology; his mentor: Communist Frank Marshall Davis. Government will be in your face all the time. The young people know what they are doing supporting Obama; they are ruining their freedom and their children's freedom in America. Be afraid, very afraid.

Posted by: love234america | October 31, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I believe the McCain campaign did the same to the media supporting Obama.

BTW, isn't the Washington Times the Rev. Moon paper?

Posted by: skolniks | October 31, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

This is downright shameful coming from a candidate who swears up and down that he will work with the opposition. Then again, Obama swore up and down that he would take public financing, at least until he realized that he could raise a gazillion dollars and buy all your votes, so I guess saying one thing and doing another is nothing new for him. But this sort of vindictive behavior is really a new low - it's downright Nixon-esque. What worries me is that if he's pulling stunts like this before he's even elected, what will he do once he's in office?

If he wins, I think America is going to be in for a shock when it learns that underneath that optimistic exterior, fantastic rhetorical ability, and powerful speaking voice is a cold, calculating Chicago politician who has been playing this country like a fiddle for the past three years. I'm not saying that the Republicans are much better, but at least when McCain says he works well with Democrats, he has the record to back it up.

Three words: One. Term. President.

Posted by: YoureAnIdiot | October 31, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I would have chartered a 747 so everyone of these potential whiners could have gotten a seat. This would block one more ansurd excuse for rationlizing an Obama victory on Tuesday.

"Well he won because not only did he buy the election when he went back on his word but he refused 3 reporters on the press plane and therefore it threw the election unfaily in his direction.

And if you don't accespt that premise we have made a list of 300 more reasons why it is unfair that Obama won. Do you want to hear them?

Don't you want to hear them? Well if you don't listen to our list of excuses that is just going to be one more excuse added to our list and will be excuse number 301.

You'll be sorry!! We told you so!!"

Posted by: patrick10 | October 31, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Ryancaines,
You are right on. The obama sheeples who that are trying to shout you down, believe in Huge government which is already to big and corrupt, Obama will make it much worse.
When Obama fails and he will, because socialism has proven to be a failure, (look at whats happening throughout the world). I hope we are all still around, even the Obama sheeples, to learn from the huge mistake that is about to happen.

Posted by: think4yourslf | October 31, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Liar's poker: Palin, McCain, Dole and Bachmann

Posted by: ottothewise | October 31, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

luckdress - good post, but the UI is as nonpartisan as a lunchtime discussion at the Carville-Matalin home. (I don't have a problem with the UI, I simply don't think they're not biased.)

I really don't have a problem with either candidate keeping reporters off planes for even BS reasons. The Dallas Morning News is circling the drain financially, and has anybody read the Washington Times? Even if I were a cross burning conservative, I still wouldn't read it. That thing is just poor quality. It's not even fun to make fun of.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | October 31, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Did Obama through them off his plane while it was in the air? Just kiddin'.

Obama 08

Posted by: aguy7 | October 31, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

«The care they have access to should not be of low quality, which is exactly what will happen.»

And this you know how?

Posted by: AbolhassanBaniSadr | October 31, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Let them back on Obama's smelly plane and boot him off !!!

Posted by: JUNGLEJIM123 | October 31, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

What's next for Obamnazi; a nice big book burning so all we get is Obama's message of love to go along with that big glass of kool aid?

Sorry to offend his majesty - heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi, heil Obamanazi,

Posted by: Bcamp55 | October 31, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

luckdress, great post. My comments do not mean I agree with either candidate on this issue because I don't. My concern is that when it comes to me personally going to the doctor will I be able to and what will the actual quality of the care be? Sure, Obama will allow millions of people to have access to the care or as the abstract states "coverage". How will this affect the actual care though. That is my entire point. Of course I want people to have access to care. The care they have access to should not be of low quality, which is exactly what will happen. It is one step forward 2 steps back though when you risk the quality of the service for the availability.

Posted by: ryancaines | October 31, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I think the Obama campaign would have been stupid to habour "McCain Spies" on their airplane! The friend of my enemy is my enemy. Good rediance to bad stuff! They should eject all the others as well. Why should they continue to give free ride to people who do not wish them well and add no value to their objectives!

Posted by: ayoabraham | October 31, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I still can't believe that McCain didn't hire Mike Murphy to run his campaign like he did in 2000.

The Three Stooges could have done a better job of running campaign strategy than the second string Rovebots that McCain hired.

Posted by: DrainYou | October 31, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

They're Republican biased "journalists" and no body cares about them.
We've had enough of you free-market (kiss your pension goodbye) economists, waterboarding-is-not-torture administration apologists. Go find a totalitarian state you can shill for. Maybe Kim Jong-Il is hiring.
BTW Fox is still on the plane -- but maybe only till they gain enough altitude.
Truth be known, those extra seats were given to Al-Jazeera 'cause like Fox, they're fair and unbiased, too.

Posted by: bgreen2224 | October 31, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

rayncaines:

«I am married to a Canadian national who still has many, many relatives in Canada.»

Oh, that it explains it, Canada, eh? You are married to a Canadian national! What's his name and when did he go blind?

Posted by: AbolhassanBaniSadr | October 31, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

McCane/Mccain/McPain/McShame/McNovocaine...ALL THE SAME. Doesn't make the McCaine any better. And what did the supporters of the opposition expect? garlands? (We all know they wanted a FREE RIDE from their opponent!!!)

Posted by: yard80197 | October 31, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

rayncaines:

Posted by: AbolhassanBaniSadr | October 31, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Let's keep the discussion clean.

For those who really care about improving the health care system in America, read the following abstracts of the Health Care Proposal from both candidates. This is from the non-partisan Urban Institute of Policy Research. The choice is yours!

Abstract
The Obama health care plan would greatly increase health insurance coverage, substantially increase access to affordable and adequate coverage for those with the highest health care needs, significantly increase the affordability of care for the low-income, and reduce the growth in health spending through a broad array of strategies. Despite the overall positive assessment, a few concerns remain. The plan would leave about 6 percent uninsured, necessitating the maintenance of the current inefficient safety net system; the employer mandate may engender significant political opposition; and the cost estimate may be low depending upon how several plan details are resolved.

Abstract
The McCain health care plan represents a philosophical advance over many proposals, principally in its commitment to redistributing the current tax exemption for employer-based health insurance. However, the plan raises more concerns than it addresses. McCain’s proposal would dramatically change how many obtain insurance, make coverage less accessible for those with health problems, have a high budget cost, but have little effect on the number uninsured. These problems could be addressed by providing a guaranteed source of adequate, affordable coverage; phasing-out the tax exemption slowly; larger subsidies to the low-income; spreading health risk broadly; and a significant commitment to cost-containment.

Posted by: luckdress | October 31, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

L3tt3rburn & fernando1958,

You have no facts to back up your comments. If what I say scares you too bad. How about you think about how well our current government programs run. Then ask yourself if you want your health care in the same hands. Ask yourself if you will still get the same care when 30+ million more people start using the same amount of doctors, nurses, etc. Right now in this country nurses and doctors are in high demand because there simply aren't enough of them. Your liberal minds can't get around the simple facts of supply and demand, which is a cornerstone of capitalism. You simply cannot magically create the supply needed to satisfy the demand that will be created.

Posted by: ryancaines | October 31, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Raincanes , you worthless piece of fece, you and your comments are not worthed a spit in the bucket, I feel so sorry for you I am playing the violin

Posted by: capskip | October 31, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Christina Bellantoni said, "This feels like the journalistic equivalent of redistributing the wealth. We've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars covering Senator Obama's campaign from the start."

So, they're claiming that they've made a contribution to the Obama campaign, and intended to actually purchase access? Isn't this a violation of campaign finance laws?

Posted by: jp1954 | October 31, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

ryancaines-Nice scare tactics and propaganda. . . .@$$hole!!

Posted by: L3tt3rburn | October 31, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Gort has been abducted, multiply replicated and is now being abused by the McCain campaign team in its final desperate effort to add four more years to the Cheney-Bush catastrophe. We've got only one day left to raise money and only four more days to knock on doors, make phone calls and boost voter turnout to a 48-year record. The turnout of the voting-age population was 63.1% in 1960. In 2004, it was 55.3%. The low point was 49.1% in 1996.

TUESDAY NOV 4th, 2008 - GOTV PEOPLE!

OBAMA/BIDEN-08!!!

Posted by: DrainYou | October 31, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

capskip,

4 languages is impressive. Your education has done nothing for your commenting skills though. I was born and raised here. I own a small business here that employs 12 people. A percentage of which may have to be laid off if Obama gets in. I pay my taxes and employ others which means I pay payroll & social security taxes for them as well. I pay 75% of their health insurance and a 401(k) plan in which I match up to 4%. I think I am contributing. I guess I am the evil person who has made his money off of the backs of my employees though. I mean if I have a good year my profits are just under 300k. Lets not discuss the fact the people I employ or the benifits they receive because I am just using them.

Posted by: ryancaines | October 31, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

A republican crony asked "brk dck whatsuuuppp with obama jacking some reporters off the plane" TO which i said first off didnt mccain either kick reporters off his so called straight talk express or denied them choice seats if they wrote anything negative about him or his campaign{"thats just mccain being the maverick"}whatever and second its obamas plane and flying on it is a privilege not a right that can be revoked at anytime{"doesnt seem like obama can take the heat"}whatever third i find it a very strange that the moose muncher,whines that her first amendment rights are being violated by the media because they report on her negative slurs against obama{" well they are&they are sexist too"}whatever,and fourth that her convicted felon friend stevens whines thats hes not one{he's appealing his politically motivated conviction"}whatever,and fifth hannity whines that mccains giving large amounts of cash to a p.l.o. sympathizer{"he promised not to use the money to train& arm militants with weapons to use in their war with israel"}he promised you say{"yeah he promised'}whatever where was i oh yeah this is suppose to be not as bad as obama attending a dinner with the guy{"hey bro who knows what nasty things were said about israel"} are you serious you're joking right{" i'm very serious"}whatever and sixth hannitys booty buddy colmes whines that he is not a shill for the neocons{"look i take umbridge at the implication that colmes is nothing more than a pathetic imitation of a very bad comic relief"}whatever and seventh sam the flim flam sham whines that obamas tax plan will hurt him{"oohhh thats right knock a guy just trying to make a fast buck& besides with all the cash hes getting from his notoriety he might just get the money to buy the damn plumbing company"} the guys not a real plumber& doesnt have a freakin license {"whatever"}and last but not least all of the republican low&middle class like YOU who whine that their homes are loosing value,that theyve been laid off and bills are coming due but continue making excuses for those people responsible for screwing them{"so does that mean youre not going to lend me the $300"} sure i lend you the cash but money doesnt grow on trees the interest rate has gone up {"hey if mccain gets elected&good jobs paying good wage return i'll kick you down a little extra summin summin"}yeah whatever

Posted by: brkdckdwg | October 31, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

capskip,

Posted by: ryancaines | October 31, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

A republican crony asked "brk dck whatsuuuppp with obama jacking some reporters off the plane" TO which i said first off didnt mccain either kick reporters off his so called straight talk express or denied them choice seats if they wrote anything negative about him or his campaign{"thats just mccain being the maverick"}whatever and second its obamas plane and flying on it is a privilege not a right that can be revoked at anytime{"doesnt seem like obama can take the heat"}whatever third i find it a very strange that the moose muncher,whines that her first amendment rights are being violated by the media because they report on her negative slurs against obama{" well they are&they are sexist too"}whatever,and fourth that her convicted felon friend stevens whines thats hes not one{he's appealing his politically motivated conviction"}whatever,and fifth hannity whines that mccains giving large amounts of cash to a p.l.o. sympathizer{"he promised not to use the money to train& arm militants with weapons to use in their war with israel"}he promised you say{"yeah he promised'}whatever where was i oh yeah this is suppose to be not as bad as obama attending a dinner with the guy{"hey bro who knows what nasty things were said about israel"} are you serious you're joking right{" i'm very serious"}whatever and sixth hannitys booty buddy colmes whines that he is not a shill for the neocons{"look i take umbridge at the implication that colmes is nothing more than a pathetic imitation of a very bad comic relief"}whatever and seventh sam the flim flam sham whines that obamas tax plan will hurt him{"oohhh thats right knock a guy just trying to make a fast buck& besides with all the cash hes getting from his notoriety he might just get the money to buy the damn plumbing company"} the guys not a real plumber& doesnt have a freakin license {"whatever"}and last but not least all of the republican low&middle class like YOU who whine that their homes are loosing value,that theyve been laid off and bills are coming due but continue making excuses for those people responsible for screwing them{"so does that mean youre not going to lend me the $300"} sure i lend you the cash but the interest rate has gone up {"hey if mccain gets elected&good jobs paying good wage return i'll kick you down a little extra summin summin"}yeah whatever

Posted by: brkdckdwg | October 31, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

A diehard republican crony was reading the paper& whinning to me about the economy when he asked "brk dck whatsuuuppp with obama jacking some reporters off the plane" TO which i said first off why in the hell are they whinning didnt mccain either kick reporters off his so called straight talk express or denied them choice seats if they wrote anything negative about him or his campaign{"thats just mccain being the maverick"}whatever and second its obamas plane and flying on it is a privilege not a right that can be revoked at anytime{" boo hoo seem like obama cannt take the heat"}whatever third i find it a very strange that the moose muncher,whines that her first amendment rights are being violated by the media because they report on her negative slurs against obama{" well they are&they are sexist too"}whatever,and fourth that her convicted felon friend stevens whines thats hes not one{he's appealing his politically motivated conviction"}whatever,and fifth hannity whines that mccains giving large amounts of cash to a p.l.o. sympathizer{"he promised not to use the money to train& arm militants with weapons to use in their war with israel"}he promised you say{"yeah he promised'}whatever where was i oh yeah this is suppose to be not as bad as obama attending a dinner with the guy{"hey bro who knows what nasty things were said about israel"} are you serious you're joking right{" i'm very serious"}whatever and sixth hannitys booty buddy colmes whines that he is not a shill for the neocons{"look i take umbrage at the implication that colmes is nothing more than a pathetic imitation of a very bad comic relief"}whatever and seventh sam the flim flam sham whines that obamas tax plan will hurt him{"oohhh thats right knock a guy just trying to make a fast buck& besides with all the cash hes getting from his notoriety he might just get the money to buy the damn plumbing company"} the guys not a real plumber& doesnt have a freakin license {"whatever"}and last but not least all of the republican low&middle class like YOU who whine that their homes are loosing value,that theyve been laid off and bills are coming due but continue making excuses for those people responsible for screwing them{"so does that mean youre not going to lend me the $300"} sure i lend you the cash but the interest rate has gone up {"hey if mccain gets elected&good jobs paying good wage return i kick you down a little extra summin summin"}yeah whatever

Posted by: brkdckdwg | October 31, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Q. What do you get when you appoint a bimbo to chair CBS news?

A. A machine propaganda pouring tons of money for the Smoke Prophet, seasoned with an idiotic smile of Katie Couric!

Walter Cronkite, where are you?

Please do something before Letterman becomes CEO!

Posted by: trace-sc | October 31, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

ryancaines, You really are trying to scare everybody. You must be a McCain supporter, as in working directly with him, since you mention Pelosi and Reed. You received the MEMO asking supporters not to forget mention these 2 with Obama.
The problem is that people are smarter than 4 years ago, and they are not buying the scare tactics that worked before.
Sorry, but you are going to benefit from an Obama Government for the next 8 years.

Posted by: fernando1958 | October 31, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

wah! it's not fair! it's liberal bias! it's media bias! it's a "gotcha" question! it's France! it's acorn! it's prosecutorial misconduct! it's welfare mom's!

I swear I'd really like to see Republican's take the blame for *anything*. It's always somebody else.

Posted by: mikem1 | October 31, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

lol... if anything, liberals can not and will not understand conservatives. And conversatives will not and cannot understand liberals. We're all for the same thing, which is a better tomorrow. Obama supportes think McCain is slime and a nazi (sp?) and McCain supporters think Obama is untrustworthy, inexperienced, and a communist.

Obama supporters think McCain is a divider, mcCain supporters can't understand why McCain doesn't play hardball and why can't Obama tell the truth.

Even when we say that we want to "unite" and are unbiased in our ways, we're all still biased. Then there's this a paper for the right wing, that paper for the left loonies... heck w/all the reporters... we're all influenced one way or another anyway.

Here's for the "truth" in our gov't some day. But are we capabale of telling the truth as "humans"... no, unless it benefits us and doesn't destroy us. We're selfish in that way.

Whatever happens on Nov 4th, we deserve what we'll get... obviously, 'cuz it's our votes.

Posted by: KAustin1 | October 31, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"The Washington Times isn't buying these explanations. Solomon said the Obama campaign has not objected to the work of his reporter, Christina Bellantoni, but 'suddenly didn't have room on the plane for her. This feels like the journalistic equivalent of redistributing the wealth.'"

Maybe there'd be more room, if the paper weren't spouting his opposition's slogans

Posted by: el_barto | October 31, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"... the Obama operation has ejected reporters for the New York Post and Dallas Morning News, which have also endorsed McCain ..."

"Anyone who suggests a linkage with editorial endorsements is just plain wrong ..."

Unifier, my balls!

The Black Prophet has a sensitive skin and tons of hypocrisy!

Posted by: trace-sc | October 31, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

raincaines , you idiot I am european I speak four languages , how many can you speak I believe I am doing pretty well with the english , but any how you got the message that you are full of s##t and learn a little more about other countries health care, and by the way I am also a war vet, instead of criticizing people do some thing useful for this country

Posted by: capskip | October 31, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

McCain and Palin are even more clueless than W is as they have based their entire campaign on a series of nasty, false personal attacks on Barack Obama. Their bet has been that Americans are a fearful, frightened bunch who won't be willing to vote for a new direction. But the McCain-Palin calculus couldn't have been more wrong; their bet is going to fail, and fail badly.

When it does fail, it will leave the Republican Party with nothing. John McCain will almost certainly outperform Barry Goldwater in this election in terms of his share of the vote, yet he will leave his party in far worse shape than did Goldwater. At least Goldwater left his party with a devoted base of conservative activists, energized by his commitment to conservative ideology.

McCain, meanwhile, has stood for nothing other than attacks on Barack Obama. He has taken a Republican brand that had been shattered by George W. Bush and done nothing to repair it, leaving his party with no more of a clue about how to address the needs of ordinary Americans than they had when this election cycle began.

The fact that almost nobody in McCain's party seems to understand the devastating consequences of this failure is a strong indication that Republicans will be stuck in the political wilderness for many years to come.

Posted by: DrainYou | October 31, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

john1263,
First of all, the airport solicitors in the 1970s were Hare Krishnas, not Moonies. The former are followers of an Indian movement; the latter are followers of a Korean movement. Second of all, Obama's opponent is named McCain, not Mckane. I know that is a subtile difference to you low information voters.

You wrote, "I have not been moved by any politacl speaker like him ever in my lifetime." I have no doubt of that. I'll bet that you are moved by anyone who can promise you the world in complete, coherent, sentences.

Posted by: hisroc | October 31, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Rachel10. I believe it is you who doesn't know the whole truth. I am married to a Canadian national who still has many, many relatives in Canada. Is your sister in law 55+ with failing health? I have more than a few in laws living in Canada in this situation and almost every one of them has come to the US and PAID to have medical care so they didn't have to wait. Her 73 year old grandmother was told she would have to wait 4+ months to have a heart valve fixed. She came down here and had the operation done within 10 days. There was a good chance she would have died in the interim in Canada.

Posted by: ryancaines | October 31, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

ryancains.

You got it completely wrong on Obama's Health Plan and his Tax Cut.
Health Insurance companies and hospitals do not exist to provide social services - that is the government's job. Obama's plan will encourage health plans to lower premiums since they will be signing up more members, and the government will help low-income people pay part of their premiums. A win-win situation for Insurance companies and the insured.

John McCain is putting forward a plan than will encourage Health Insurance plan to drop members who cost too much to insure in favor of the young and the fit who rarely gets sick. The only reason certain sick people are able to get insurance coverage today is because they are insured through their employers. Insurance plans are prohibited from denying coverage to individual members of a group regardless of health condition.

Eliminating employer-based insurance will force a lot of sick people out of their insurance coverage. Employers will no longer be obligated to pay higher premiums to provide coverage for their employees.

Individual Health Insurance is already very expensive as it is, and since insurance companies exist to make profits for their stockholders, they can not be compelled to insure everybody, even if people have their so-called 'McCain Health Voucher' in their pocket. Very sick individuals will go without health insurance coverage. There will be no incentive to insure members that will cost you thousands of dollars in a single year, when you could easily go across the country to insure younger and healthier folks.

You might be able to go across state lines for your cheaper health insurance, but you will find out the day you get admitted to the hospital that your 'cheap' insurance from out-of-state did not cover your condition. That is the only way insurance companies can give you cheap coverage. Problem is, you will not find out until you get sick.

By that time, most of the State regulations currently guiding health insurance plans would have been eliminated by McCain. It will be you against the insurance giants a confrontation you're sure to lose.

John McCain's plan, as usual, helps big insurance at the expense of the American people. It will be a major disaster for American Health care if McCain becomes the next president.

VOTE OBAMA, THE BETTER AND MORE INTELLIGENT CANDIDATE!!

Posted by: luckdress | October 31, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Do you folks REALLY want to bring up a newspaper's CHURCH affiliation when your candidate is Barack H--- Obama of the church of the Reverend Jeremiah Wright? REALLY?

And how then do you explain away Obama's 20 years at the church of a raving lunatic?

Posted by: MrRamsey | October 31, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

ryancains.

You got it completely wrong on Obama's Health Plan and his Tax Cut.

VOTE OBAMA, THE BETTER AND MORE INTELLIGENT CANDIDATE!!

Posted by: luckdress | October 31, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DrainYou | October 31, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ryancaines | October 31, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Q: What do you get when you give Bill O'Rielly a newspaper whose editorial board is made up of Weekly World News interns?

A: The Washington Times.

Posted by: franglais | October 31, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

John1262:
First of all, the airport solicitors in the 1970s were Hare Krishnas, not Moonies. The former are followers of an Indian movement; the latter follow a Korean movement. Second of all, Obama's opponent is named McCain, not Mckane. You wrote, "I have not been moved by any politacl speaker like him ever in my lifetime." I don't doubt it. I suspect that you are moved by anyone who can speak in coherent, complete sentences while promising you the world.

Posted by: hisroc | October 31, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

capskip,

Next time you comment on a previous entry try using basic reading comprehension skills. The point is that the centralized health care system will overwhelm the current medical care resources available. This will cause long wait times. Think about your local drivers license office. Same idea just now it is your health you take a number for. So that bypass surgery you need now will be free or very low cost but by the time the resources free up to do it you will be dead or your lifespan shortened due to the wait. I know quite a few people from Canada, and they have said that their health care while free has long wait times and older people are given less priority to younger citizens in determining who will get an operation first. This is based on if I give the operation to person A 60 years old or Person B 23 years old. Which will be alive long enough to pay for the operation through taxes. Also, as a way to make the system affordable to the government the providers will be paid less. This will cause fewer people to be motivated to go into the very demanding field of health care due to the fact that under the liberal reign of Obama, Pelosi & Reed when they could make just as much money sweeping the floor at the local McDonalds.

Posted by: ryancaines | October 31, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

To ryancaines. You don't know what you are talking about. My sister in law lives in Canada and she has great health care with none of the "horrors" you are trying to scare people with.

I know Obama will try to fix the health care system. Any kid who has seen his mother dying of cancer while dealing with the insurance companies over coverage will not want that to happen to families.

Posted by: Rachel10 | October 31, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

When Abraham Lincoln said " You can fool- some of the people all the time..." he was talking about poor republicans. The rich republicans never get fooled, only richer.

Posted by: seemstome | October 31, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

When I first started reading these comments I started to get upset about how missinformed many people are about the election, but then I realized that what is really interesting is how divided we are becomming. How can two people see something so differently? The answer is that they have already made up their mind about what they believe and they are twisting the facts to make them fit these beliefs.

Each candidate has misrepresented the others views and plans on many occasions, and the media has shown some subtle and not so subtle bias, depending on whether is was FOX or some other outlet. The way I see it each candidate approched this election from a slightly different perspective. Perhaps that perspective is related to the candidates actual philosophy, perhaps it is just marketing.

McCain has decided that attacking Obama's character is key, while Obama has tried to seem more focused on issues. Though by now I have become an Obama supporter, I have seen both candidates misrepresent each other's positions, relationships, history, etc. At the end of the day what convinces me that Obama is the better choice is that he seems to want to unite us rather than divide us. I am just tired of the obvious lies and inuendo of the McCain campaign. I am also quite concerned about McCain's health, and I am appalled at his selection of Palin for VP. If I think of the lection as between either Obama or Biden, and Palin then the choice is a no brainer. Palin isn't qualified to be Governor of Alaska, much less President.

Posted by: bjuhasz | October 31, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"I can't believe some of the Republicans comments." --Gypsy_tech

Hello? This is the Washington Times. What Republicans? This is not about Republicans or Democrats. This is about trying to buy a favorable representation in the media.

Although now Obama can buy all the half-hour infomercials he can afford (a lot), but if he's elected, he can't cover up any mistakes with the media. Right now, nobody knows if what he says is what he'll do. Afterwards, it'll be different.

Posted by: ymak | October 31, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Times is owned and controlled by a Korean, Reverend Sung Moon, who believes he is the Messiah - The Second Coming of Christ. I kid you not - look it up. So this whack job endorses McCain and is critical of Obama. Then his reporters are "voted off the island." So what's your point? I wouldn't want any of Moon's reporters following me around either.

Posted by: lorax2 | October 31, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Please! New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd and Time columnist Joe Klein had been booted from from the McCain campaign plane before this. The goings on at Palin rallies either didn't allow the press or hurled insults, racial and otherwise at them. Now it will be back to default setting, dig up six month old hysterical issue that no one believed then and no one believes now because you have nothing. No fear though GOPs, you still have a fighting chance with racism, fraud and xenophobia at your disposal.

Posted by: obags | October 31, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

It's hard to imagine McCain wanting to fly around with Maureen Dowd but I tell ya, I'd want her on my plane. I voted Obama and don't know how anybody decides who to allow on the airplane but surely reporters are not responsible for the decisions of the editorial boards. Sometimes you work for people more conservative than you are but everybody is supposed to try to be professional. So I don't know what's true here. Chances are it won't get more clear to those at a distance. It's curious.

Posted by: GaiasChild | October 31, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Even newspapers whine. I hope Obama makes room for Letterman. Dave did a great job in turning the tables on McCain from Ayers to McCain’s association with G. Gordon Liddy. Plus, they would all get good laughs.

The Washington Times. Isn’t that the newspaper founded by Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon? It’s a Moonie paper. That was nice of Obama to let them ride along for three years. Talk about giving everyone a chance. Now, they need to stop whinning.

Posted by: Rachel10 | October 31, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

If you don't think power corrupts take a good look at John McCain. He is physically addicted to it. Most men at his age of 72 would be satisfied with a 26 year career in the senate. But no, not "that one".
He wants power so badly that getting it justifies any and all means to that end.
McCain dodders around telling whatever lies they give him to mouth, no matter how ridiculous. He spouts fear, incites ethnic and racial hatred at every opportunity.
His sideshow with Sarah the Ignorant Governor and Joe the Plumbers Helper is calculated to once again entice workers to vote against their best interests.
No matter that people are really worried and fearful that they will be unable to pay their bills and feed their family.
McCain offers no real help to these people only carnival props.
His concern is for the people who have corrupted him, Oil company executives, Banking and Insurance company C.E.O.s and now Military Arms Manufacturers.
"power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely"
Don't let "That One" get absolute power.

Posted by: seemstome | October 31, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Let see..if get this right, If I vote for Obama, and he is elected.
My gas tank will always be full.
My mortgage will be paid.
I will have plenty of food in the cupboard.
And I will get some of Bill Gates and Michelle Obamas money.

Correct?

Posted by: Mtnbiker1 | October 31, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

#1: Yawn. Whine away, Conservatives. Go on calling Barrack a terrorist, a socialist, an Arab... Believe he will take away your precious guns. Believe in a totalitarian Obama state. Believe he will destroy every business in America.

#2: Yawn. Whine away, Liberals. Go on calling John a terrorist, an aristocrat, a stodgy old white guy... Believe he will take away your precious civil liberties. Believe in a totalitarian McCain state. Believe he will destroy every working family in America.

If you scoffed at #1, congratulations, you're a Republican!

If you bristled at #2, hooray, you're a Democrat!

If you actually weighed the truth and the lies in both #1 and #2, then you're probably crossing your fingers and voting for Obama.

Posted by: rckstrdave | October 31, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

washington times is a paper owned and operated by cult leader sun young moon. Everyone remember "moonies" trying to recruit and beg money at airports back in the 1970s? This is his propaganda organ.

And the NYpost is a murdoch propaganda rag.

Why would the future president give countenance to propagandists?

mckane kicked LEGITMATE JOURNALISTS from the NYTimes - on of the leading newspaper in the world, of his plane.

That's the difference. republicons fear reporters. Democrats refuse to bow to propaganda.

Just watched Obama in Iowa. This man is the real deal. I have not been moved by any politacl speaker like him ever in my lifetime. The feeling I get watching him is the same as when i watch old footage of JFK or MLK. He is the real deal. THE REAL DEAL. He takes a few jabs at mckane, but his speech is about what we are and what we can be as a nation. The greatness of America. Not the petty nonsense and name calling that is the only yhing present at mckane/palin events.

I watched her the other day and could not believe that this was the best the republicon party could come up with. She would lose a high school civics debate.

Posted by: John1263 | October 31, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

If the press were truly unbiased and had done as much "investigative" reporting on Obama as the frenzy they exhibited in reporting on Gov. Palin, the plane would have been empty.
Barnum was right.

Posted by: Ethicist | October 31, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

it is ridiculous Wash Times is claiming to have spent thousands of dollars covering the campaign!So !Obama should be grateful for their coverage?!I am even surprized they were allowed in the first place.The Dredge report!It is a shame they are even accorded the status of news organization,Look at the way they promoted the Ashley Todd story!They should be tried by instigating a national calamity by injecting racial slur into the election.The two deserve to be kicked out.Obama has proved he is no nonsense guy,he speaks his mind and he can stand upto the right wing smear.Good for him!

Posted by: v_gajen | October 31, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Ryancaines , thats right, lets just choose who is supposed to get the health care and let the rest of the people die, so doctors can make more money

Posted by: capskip | October 31, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe some of the Republicans comments. As if McCain hasn't excluded anyone who was the least bit critical of him. And don't even talk about win at all cost with the mud they have tried to sling at Obama. Grow up you whiner’s. If Obama kicked off everyone from the Right wing corporate media he'd have a very empty plane. Maybe one or two reporters from MSNBC left.

Posted by: Gypsy_tech | October 31, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, they are blocking coverage and this is not the first time. Obama and Bush, two sides of the same anti-freedom, anti-American coin!

Posted by: Ogman | October 31, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I think the US needs to take a hard look at Obama. His economic & health programs will nullify the monetary gain aspect of further education. What is one of the easiest ways to save money under a government run health care system? Pay the providers less. So, doctors, nurses and administrative personnel will be paid much, much less. Therefore, there will begin to be a shortage of providers. On top of that if you start providing free medical care to everyone, hospitals and doctor's offices will not be able to handle the volume of patients. Can you say selective treatment? Will your 60 year old mother be denied an operation because the 23 year old illegal alien gets the operation needed just because there is not enough resources to do both? Ask someone from Canada about getting an operation. Compare their wait time of months to the current time in the US of days - weeks. His tax plans are merely class warfare. Take from rich (very small percentage of people) and give to the poor (very large percentage). When you rob Peter to pay Paul, you will never get a complaint from Paul. Of course he is going to get a majority of the vote from poor uneducated people. What they don't understand is that his plan will put their boss or company out of business, and then they won't have a job. His 95% of the people will get a tax cut is a lie. Do you make over 97k per year? If you do you will get a tax increase. He is talking about removing the cap on the social security tax which is currently set at 97k. So his promise that you won't see a tax increase unless you make more than 250k is a lie. Once he starts this you will see a gradual shift towards equalizing income. Anyone making over the median income in the US will soon be taxed 100% over the median. Why spend years in school to become an engineer or doctor when you can make the same amount of money at your local fast food restaurant? He will raise the capital gains. Investors will stop buying and selling or at least not do as much business. His tax plans will create an environment with no incentive for anyone to start a business or even stay in business. The median will start sliding lower and lower. All businesses will then start being regulated by the government so everyone has a job. Capitalism will be dead at this point and then America will fail. This is exactly what Obama wants. He will get it if he wins the white house due to having Pelosi & Reed in the house and senate.

Posted by: ryancaines | October 31, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't see the problem. Obama's campaign rarely lets him speak to the press on his plane anyway. Probably because he will say something dumb like "spread the wealth around" and further let the cat out of the bag about their real agenda. It wouldn't do any good to be on Biden's plane either, since the campaign has the same problem with him continually putting his foot in his mouth. Palin has talked to the press 4 or 5 times for every time Obama or Biden has in the last month.

Posted by: MyView49 | October 31, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

When the People who are supposed to be REPORTING News, starting trying to become the News(Maureen Dowd), then they DESERVE to be DENIED the so-called "Freedoms" Real Journalists should have!

She, is not the only one that this applies to! Too many reporters have OPENLY bias slants in their Reporting(Eugene and Dana), and should also be shown Doors(Out!).

Media Elitists I do not need, and I am getting very tired of having to dig sooooo deeply to get a FULL Report, of NEWS!

O'Riellys, Hannitys, and Drolbermens, are another thing altogether-THEY are News ANALYSTS! THEY, are supposed to Bloviate!

LOL! Is it too late to push for a Dennis Miller/ Ann Coulter Ticket? ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | October 31, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

What would be of interest would be an analysis of what print organizations are on the plane, and what their circulations are. The Times is largely amateur hour in terms of circulation, so it is not beyond the pale to start trimming small fry when every news organization in the world wants on your plane.

Of course, without that analysis (are there these fabled things called "journalists" hiding somewhere? can we get intelligent coverage from anyone?), we're left with mindless conjecture from various partisans. Journalism has been supplanted by Reporting. It's much easier and cheaper.

Posted by: tunlaw2007 | October 31, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

My son interned at the Wash Times a few years ago. He said he had to read the Post to get the real news. Couldn't believe how biased it was toward the right. It was a good education for him and he's a registered Republican - voting for Obama.

Posted by: ipayattention | October 31, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Of course, without that analysis (are there these fabled things called "journalists" hiding somewhere? can we get intelligent coverage from anyone?), we're left with all this mindless "bias" conjecture. Journalism has been supplanted by Reporting. It's much easier and cheaper.

Posted by: tunlaw2007 | October 31, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I see the Republicans are whining about their First Amendment rights. Palin says the press is denying her First Amendment rights by accusing her of dirty campaigning.

Maybe you folks need a refresher course on the Constitution. The First Amendment restricts state action to suppress freedom of speech. Neither the media nor the Obama campaign is the state.

Got it?

Posted by: thrh | October 31, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I have always been a life long Republican and must sever my ties to this dispicable and nazi like GOP .

I will cast my vote for Obama / Biden.

I couldnt live with myself...look my grandchildren in the eyes...knowing I would be voting for fascism and criminals if I voted for McCain and Palin.

I pray for forgiveness and hope my God Jesus Christ sees fit to allow me to atone for my sins agaisnt his teachings and my fellow man....I ask in Jesus Christs name...please forgive me for being deceived by the GOP
AMEN!

Posted by: garygelormino1 | October 31, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

They should pushed those reporters out of the plane while the plane was up in the air at ten thousands feet of altitude

Posted by: capskip | October 31, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Why should anyone be provided a seat on Obama's plane if the reps of the newspaper are 'biting the hand that feeds them'?

Make your own trip to the Obama events and accept the offer of hotel acccomodations graciously.

Why are newspaper/tv pundits so nasty? I am referring to the majority of the newspapers I read...yours included.

Posted by: olgaolivia | October 31, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Ha, washington times sucks. They should've been kicked off weeks ago.
FOX and WSJ are quite enough smear for one plane.

Posted by: Crucialitis | October 31, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Aren't "The Washington TImes" and "The New York Post" owned by Murdoch?

Anyone who would employ the likes of Hannity or O'Reilly should never of had a seat in the first place.

Posted by: JRM2 | October 31, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

----------------------

The public has not only suggested it, they all but PROVED IT to you.

That reminds me... I must now change my name from an independent to a Republican since I have found myself unable to vote for Hussein due to his many associations and his obvious lack of judgement.

This is NOT someone I wish to trust with the keys to my country. My god, I doubt he could even pass a simple security background check for a clearance! Anyone not seeing this needs to get their eyes checked and cancel all their subscriptions to mainstream media and do their own homework.

Posted by: indep2 | October 31, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Cornell1984: At this time I would like to encourage you to seek professional help from a therapist or psychiatrist, I am serious, I think your view of the world is seen through such a tiny lens that your are suffering from delusions that there will be some kind of conspiracy to ruin your life should the election turn out against your wishes.

Posted by: JRM2 | October 31, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

A lot of people are switching their votes to Obama, like myself, because of a lack of vision and muster among Republicans this Fall and his apparent ability to truly lead.

If Obama starts to turn into a Bush in terms of being partisan and divisive and focus on power more than leadership, he will squander a great opportunity to deliver promises of being a transformational leader, that we are giving him the opportunity to make good on.

For some of the last holdouts who are experience-is-important voters, who look for substance, voting for Obama is an act of faith. This kind of crap is the fastest way to start to bleed public support among centrists.

Obama should restore the seats of these media outlets reporters and correct those in his campaign who is engaging in this punitive partisan power-gaming.

Posted by: AsperGirl | October 31, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Reading these comments reinforces my feelings as to what is basically wrong with liberals. To them, freedom of speech only applies if you agree with them. Freedom of the Press only applies if you agree with them. Bipartisanship means you agreeing with them. If you have a divergent belief or opinion, you are demonized or ridiculed. Look at liberal comments and blogs and you will find the most hateful and most intolerant people around.

Posted by: augustus25 | October 31, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Want proof Kurtz is trying to make something out of nothing? Look at the last paragraph:

"Dunn said her staff is working with the excluded reporters to find them hotel accommodations if they can catch up with Obama on their own, and has offered them space on the plane of running mate Joe Biden. "It's not like we're trying to block coverage of our campaign," she said"

Kurtz is a hack. Why does the Post pay him to cover media? He should be get a job with Murdock.

Posted by: NeilSagan | October 31, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

What do they expect. He's trying to win an election. If he wants a fresh perspective then the ultra negative ones can find their own way to the campaign stops. He's getting balanced reporting already from papers that are on the plane. This article and the Washington post for example. Google has endorsed him but on the google news options they now post as many negative or McCain supportive articles as in this article-- in fact it seems to be more from the AP and others that can't be blogged.

Posted by: janefree0513 | October 31, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NeilSagan | October 31, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I was actually interviewed by the Washington Times after attending an Obama rally. The reporter started by asking leading questions with a very anti-Obama slant, and then, when she couldn't make a good quote out of my responses, she stated her own opinion and asked whether I agreed with her. Not suprisingly, since she was from the Washington Times, her opinion of Senator Obama was pretty low. In any case, I was struck by the fact that this particular reporter was not really interested in what I thought of the candidate, nor what I thought of the speech I had just heard, but was very intent on getting an anti-Obama quote from someone attending one of his rallies.

As for kicking such reporters off the airplane, I don't know what to think. At what point does a news outlet become a propaganda machine? At what point do they stray so far from journalistic ethics that we quit according them the rights of reputable journalists?

Posted by: fjfjdvdv | October 31, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

The republican mean machine is working at full tilt these next few days just to smear the Obama campaign. McCain has shown no leadership or forward thinking, but he has shown his dark side, his mean side and his petulant side. Reading about the Times reporter getting the boot from the Obama campaign was sweet.

Posted by: Ahsay | October 31, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

This is not the first time that the Obama campaign has attempted to ignore the 1st Amendment.
Twice this summer when Phil Rosenberg of Chicago radio station WGN-720 had guests on his talk show that the Obama campaign did not approve of, they called for the show to be overwhelmed with callers complaining. Mr. Rosenberg offered to have a representative from the Obama campaign present to rebut the critics but they refused.
As a result the station was overwhelmed and the Chicago Tribune political blog "The Swamp" could not handle the e-mails and was down for a week.
That and now his actions regarding these reporters remind me of something Hugo Chavez would do.
It does not bode well for the future!

Posted by: mwhoke | October 31, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I imagine that given the Republicans willingness to say or do ANYTHING to win no matter how disgusting that it is a wise idea for them not to be on Obama's plane looking for something, anything to attack him on in the last few days.

He has been called a coward, a muslim, a terrorist, naive, a socialist, a communist, a nazi, a redistributor, an arab, a baby killer and the list can go on and on.

I don't blame him for watching his back in these last few days, the Repubs have proven themselves to have no shame.

Posted by: JRM2 | October 31, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

So the poor Washington Times is being dumped on? So who was it that put messages out on the internet that Democrats vote on FIVE November to keep democrats from getting their votes in? Who put out that college students that vote (overwhelmingly for Obama) will no longer be considered dependents and be dropped from their parents health insurance (among other benefits) if they voted? Who put out that homeowners needed to be current in their mortgage payments and that owners in foreclosure had to make up missed payments before they could vote?

Every false rumor (put on official looking websites and ads posted by official sounding agencies) designed to prevent the young, poor, and minority voters from voting benefits the Republicans and severely affects the voting numbers of DEMOCRATS. YET...the Washington Times, conservative rag and Republican lapdog paints themselves as the victims? Where is their condemnation of the disenfranchisement attempts of the REPUBLICANS? If they truly wanted to be the victims of fair and honest reporting they would in fact have to DO some fair and honest reporting...

Posted by: tunatofu | October 31, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

"Barack Obama is looking a lot like the left wing version of George W. Bush. Bush got elected using a lot of fairy tale words of healing divisions and ending the ugly partisanship in Washington (which is what most inexperienced outsiders have to fall back on because they can't run on their resumes). But then Bush turned out to have a muscular, partisan and divisive governing fist that he and his appointees proceeded to abuse.

Does Barack Obama intend to turn the Obama-Pelosi-Reid run government into a liberal pool party and try to destroy/marginalize all conservatives?"

No. If you watched anything about the man, you would know that he will be the first to tell other democrats to f*ck off if they act out of line. Watch the video of Obama, as a freshmen senator, drilling Rice. He has a backbone of steel, and if he thinks you are wrong, he will use words and examples to prove it instead of calling for a witch hunt like Mccain.

Besides, as to your first paragraph, what did McCain do that we can put on his resumes? Pow? Senator for 26 years with no attempts to fix the issues that we are seeing today? Lack of knowledge on economy? Poor grades? No real job ever?

Posted by: Independent4tw | October 31, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

WASHINGTON TIMES SPEWSPAPER gets the BOOT! (but not the booty)

I guess they decided he had enough toilet paper on the plane.

Save our Country and Constitution

Vote OBAMA Nov 4

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 31, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

They should have thought about the cinsequences of their endorsements--not only are they endorsing 4 more years of Bush with everything that entails, but they are also being quite partisan. I think Obama did reach across the ailse (they have been traveling with him for two years) but they decided to reject the handshake.

Posted by: Pepper88 | October 31, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

What's known about McCain and Sarah Palin is that they are liars. There is no question about THAT.

Posted by: Liberty77 | October 31, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

This is a Bush-style tactic--only talk to the people who like you. Hopefully the future Obama administration will not go as far as the Bush administration, only giving interviews to media outlets that are heavily biased in their favor.

I checked out Bellatoni's blog on the Washington Times website, and at least based on the headlines she looked relatively unbiased. Not sure why she and the two others were kicked off the plane, but it is a little disconcerting. Then again, I wouldn't want to spend my time on an airplane with someone working for a media outlet that spends half its time trying to discredit me.

Posted by: squatty418 | October 31, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Cornell1984,

It is sad to me that you are so weak minded that you listened to bill O and rush and now you are afraid of the man that will save America.

I hope you wake up.

Posted by: Independent4tw | October 31, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AsperGirl | October 31, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

There are just too many unknown about Obama. Here is the video that sum it all...

Posted by: lynnL123 | October 31, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

So Sarah Palin refuses to let reporters from ANY newspaper ask her ANY questions, and Obama is the bad guy because he kicks of 3 reporters?

Hypocracy is the new definition of the McCain campaign.

HOW MANY THINGS WILL THEY DO, AND THEN COMPLAIN WHEN OBAMA DOES IT AFTERWARDS?

Examples:

Sarah AND Obama are celebrities.
Wright AND Hagee are racist preachers.
Dodd AND Graham are lobbying liars.
Liddy AND Ayers were terrorists.
McCain's homes AND Obama's home are shady.

EVERYTHING THAT MCCAIN AND PALIN COMPLAIN ABOUT THEY HAVE DONE THEMSELVES.

At least Obama has good policies that will help everyday people instead of more help to the rich.

Posted by: Independent4tw | October 31, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

MRRamsey said:
Win at all costs, Democrats Right?

Yup... and we learned it from the Republicans in 2000 & 2004

Posted by: wdrudman | October 31, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Beware the Obama gestapo. Do not dare dissent against the almighty one. Your children will be searched for bruises for possible prosecution, your job will be in jeopardy, your tax records searched, your privacy violated. The radical media will assist through Obamaganda and censorship.

Free Speech is dead under an Obama Administration. Effigies of Palin are "art", but effigies of Obama are hate crimes. We all know violence against women is not real, it is art. Biden's gaffe's are "cute", Palin's are "scary". Obama is fresh, Palin is inexperienced.

The Washington Post has ceased being credible. Its reporters need to support Obama for future unemployment benefits. In reality, what are WaPo reporters qualified to do other than use propaganda and censorship to get democrats elected?

Posted by: Cornell1984 | October 31, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

MRRamsey said:
Win at all costs, Democrats Right?

Yup... and we learned it from the Republicans in 2000 & 2004

Posted by: wdrudman | October 31, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't let anyone I know touch the Washington Times, it's a piece of crap. News reporting? Laughable. Mouthpiece for the Republican Party - most definitely.

The only news here is why they got to get on Obama's plane in the first place. He's gracious, that's how.

As for the Washington Times - they are just a bunch of whiners. Awwww...the Democrats are going to body slam the Republicans on Tuesday, and this is news? NOT.

If the Washington Times thinks it's important to follow the campaign, follow it honestly - not with it's usual knack for dishonest and biased reporting. And pay for it yourself.

Posted by: CaptainJohn2525 | October 31, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CaptainJohn2525 | October 31, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

WASHINGTON TIMES SPEWSPAPER gets the boot! (but not the booty)

I guess they decided he had enough toilet paper on the plane.

Save our Country and Constitution

Vote OBAMA Nov 4

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 31, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Times is a rightwing slime machine, and they are racist, it's been well documented. Any black that works there has to be into self-hatred.
They are the print version of Faux "News.'

Posted by: shag11 | October 31, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Circulation of the Monday-Saturday editions of The Post dropped 2.4 percent through the first nine months of the year, with Sunday circulation dropping 3.6 percent. The Post's daily circulation now stands at 623,100 with Sunday at 872,700.

Posted by: Cornell1984 | October 31, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Given how McCain has refused to allow certain highly regarded reporters, the whining by a few right wing newspapers is purely hypocritical. In any event, by the McCain-Palin camp giving over to wholesale unprecedented McCarthyite, smear tactics the virtues of civility, decency, honor, fredoms of association and inquiry have been discarded from the McCain plane.

Posted by: Aprogressiveindependent | October 31, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

They are the print version of Faux "News.'

Posted by: shag11 | October 31, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Heck, the Reverend Moon can afford to buy his reporter her own plane. The Washington Times is his mouthpiece and totally supported by the Reverend. Please, John Solomon- "we've" spent- Let's be honest- Rev. Moon has spent- the Times makes no money to spend.

Posted by: silverspring25 | October 31, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

It's less than a week before election day. If a reporter hasn't reported all the news by now (especially after 2 years) then that reporter really needs to be fired.

I don't care about the newspapers having a seat on the plane. I care about the issues regarding the candidate.

I think we have enough coverage.

Posted by: ssanford00 | October 31, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I think we have enough coverage.

Posted by: ssanford00 | October 31, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Obama has a history of throw people under the bus after he's done using them. I am afraid he will throw all the American under the bus too after he's done with us.

Posted by: mdem4mccain | October 31, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Just another example of that "librul media bias" !!

Boo hoo...

Boo! Its Halloween!

:-)

Posted by: toritto | October 31, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

buy*

Posted by: trident420 | October 31, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Obama Supporters Using Huckabee in new online ad.

Criminal charges may be brought up on Palin for ethics issues? http://www.hotpres.com

Posted by: pastor123 | October 31, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Aww. Feeling left out? Buy your own damn plane ticket. Its your job to show up and report the news - its not to expect the guy you are reporting on to hold your hand, give you a plane ticket and a lei of flowers. Suck it up, get in the company Mercedes and drive your ass to the airport. But a ticket like the rest of us, and stop muddying my news with your pity party.

Posted by: trident420 | October 31, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Thenotoriousflavio you're the best You said it so perfectly that, there is nothing more to add

Posted by: msissie | October 31, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

An interesting sign of the times. Solomon's always been a hack, but he's managed to keep it in his pants up until now. He must really be feeling the pressure to have come out of the closet so dramatically. It's about time. Of course, Mr Kurtz will agree to continue pretending Solomoon is a professional journalist, but at least we'll know better.

Posted by: zukermand | October 31, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

MrRamsey spewed: "[typical conservadrone spew]"

You are a W-H-I-N-E-R. That spells "whiner" (just in case).

Save our Country and Constitution from MrRamsey

Vote OBAMA Nov 4

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 31, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Well, Obama can just go ahead and just trash the possibility that the 47 readers of the Washington Times are going to support him.

There goes the whole damn election.

Posted by: Jaxxon | October 31, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

KICK FOX SPEWS and it FOX RADIO off too!

Preferably at 30,000 ft. (just kidding, 10k ft. will do (just kidding again (just forget to put the stairway at the door(just kidding again (just forget to open the door and give 'em a good push(just kidding again(don't forget to say "BUB-BYEE"))))

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | October 31, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Re "TheNotoriousFlavio's" comment "so like a whining Republican." John Solomon was last working for the WaPo. But nice job, Obama worker, in getting your quick posting up to reply to the blog.

Look, anyone knows what this is: Retaliation. And it sends a message to ALL of the press. Don't cross us, or we will ban you. And since they are spending campaign money like Nixon in '72, they can do whatever the heck they want to.

Win at all costs, Democrats Right?

Posted by: MrRamsey | October 31, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

So Like A WHINING Republican: "This feels like the journalistic equivalent of redistributing the wealth. We've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars covering Senator Obama's campaign from the start."

Yep! You can't buy the man! I guess that's a problem with Republicans. "...distributing the wealth..." GOOD LORD! You're lucky he didn't kick you off the plane when it was up in the air with THAT kind of comment, WHINER!

Save OUR Country and Constitution