The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

The Green Zone

California GOP Files FEC Complaint Over Obama Visit to Grandmother

By Matthew Mosk
Perhaps the most ill-timed press release of the 2008 campaign arrived shortly after 1:30 p.m. today, sent by the Republican National Committee.

The release forwarded word that the California Republican Party filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission, in part because of a visit Sen. Barack Obama made to his dying grandmother.

"Obama for America violated federal law by converting its campaign funds to Senator Obama's personal use," the release stated. "Senator Obama recently traveled to Hawaii to visit his sick grandmother. This was the right thing for any grandson to do -- at his own expense -- but it was not travel that his campaign may fund."

At issue was whether the trip should have been paid for with campaign funds, based on the law that forbids candidates from using such funds to pay for personal travel. The Obama campaign said the trip had been vetted with lawyers beforehand and was allowable. The Republicans argued that, because Obama did not campaign during the quick journey to Hawaii, it should not have been a campaign expense.

But filing the complaint today now seems to have been ill-advised, if not legally, then certainly politically.

Obama and his sister released a statement this afternoon announcing that their grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, died peacefully after a battle with cancer.

Posted at 5:10 PM ET on Nov 3, 2008  | Category:  The Green Zone
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Obama's Grandmother Dies | Next: In Past Two Weeks, Large Donors Gave Obama $11 Million

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

This is great; once again the CA GOP are not thinking ahead to the next Governors race. You would think they would be trying to get on the good side of us California Democrats. AFter this little stunt; I feel sorry for any Republican trying for the Governor's seat in California. Were sick of the Republican Governator.

Posted by: fmlndn71 | November 4, 2008 5:58 PM

Monies earned are used for travel,rental of halls, clothing, food, hotels and misc. All of this is trivial. What is not trivial is who donates to the campaigns? Are they in the public eye and are they upstanding citizens? If I were trying to achieve the position of President of the U.S., I should would have to go through my past relationships to see with whom I had questionable affiliations with.

Posted by: rhelms | November 4, 2008 5:33 PM

After reading some of the above posts, I can't help but feel sorry for the hateful ignorant people that wrote about how outraged they are, at the GOP for asking B.H.P. to abide by the rules in place for everyone.You all seem to think the rules don't apply to B.H.P.. I truly feel sorry for you, and your very one sided views,or as it is also known DEMOCRAP!!!!!!

Posted by: vintagekx5 | November 4, 2008 5:21 PM

Great article.

Posted by: ncnurse | November 4, 2008 5:17 PM

malibu08 used the expression "coven full of hateful douch-bags". That is hilarious! Go Obama from a "left-wing feminist liberal elite" college educated Registered Nurse!

Posted by: ncnurse | November 4, 2008 5:09 PM

malibu08 used the expression "coven full of hateful douch-bags". Oh my God that's funny! That is going to be my new word (or two). The Republican Party has run the most divisive and rude campaign in recent memory. They used the expression "left-wing feminist liberal elite" to describe the people that are NOT going to vote for John McCain. They forgot though, there are a lot of us big city, college educated, professional, female, non-blue collar folks out here that were watching them, saw what they had to say, and were personally offended. Thank God the election is over. Go OBAMA!!!

Posted by: ncnurse | November 4, 2008 5:02 PM

Hey the GOP will get theirs in about 5 hrs. I CAN HEAR THE FAT LADY WARMING UP.

MEMEMEMEME

Posted by: bear8 | November 4, 2008 4:44 PM

Shame, shame, shame on you GOP!!
If it is such a problem for the GOP to allow Obama to see his dying grandmother prior to her passing, lets take up a “personal funds use only” collection and reimburse the campaign fund, so that the problem is solved immediately. I am sure I’m not the only Obama backer that would contribute to this visit to his dying grandmother.

Another Okie Republican who voted 4 Obama!

Posted by: Republican4Obama | November 4, 2008 4:38 PM

So did McCain campaign funds pay for that McCain/Palin jet at our Fairbanks airport this fall so Palin could, ostensibly, see off her son deploying to Iraq from our Ft. Wainwright Army Post? There was a RNC party here for her as well in which non-supporters were told to stay home...so guess you can trump up an event to justify it as a campaign expense? And how did she get to Wasilla to vote this morning? Coach on Alaska Airlines? I seriously doubt it.

Posted by: AKCabinDweller | November 4, 2008 4:15 PM

How low can they go? I'd never vote for anyone who'd try to take away my right to vote. I am not a "Bubba."

Posted by: PLDChicago | November 4, 2008 3:55 PM

Since McCain used taxpaper's money to help finance his campaign, could someone tell me who paid for Sarah and Todd Palin's trip back to Alaska for their depositions in "Troopergate"

Posted by: lcatitle | November 4, 2008 3:38 PM

I hear an Angel's wings fluttering!

Posted by: cj0yce | November 4, 2008 3:08 PM

In the context of the narrative of the entire campaign, a masterful ending superbly timed! Good-bye GOP!

Posted by: cj0yce | November 4, 2008 3:06 PM

The hate and intolerance of the repugnant party never ceases to amaze me. I have been voting since 1972 and have never seen more negative ads from the republicans than this year. But this just about takes the cake. Such malice and just plain mean-spirited...how miserable they must be. The small donation I made can be applied to his plane ticket. At least he bought his own clothes.

Posted by: sheepdipmt1954 | November 4, 2008 2:59 PM

The GOP should have their mouths washed out with soap for the next 8 years.

Posted by: sed81650 | November 4, 2008 1:40 PM

Every dollar of my donation to Obama's campaign has my blessing to be used to visit his dying GRANDMOTHER! Obama used donations to fund his campaign - not gov't money. Donations by people who believe in and support the decisions made by Obama. Shame on the California Republican Party.

Posted by: KateBonny | November 4, 2008 1:27 PM

However legally 'correct' GOP, California, may be (and there are doubts), what else could be a better and a more humiliating evidence of tastelessness.

Posted by: cantabb1 | November 4, 2008 1:17 PM

What a coven full of hateful douch-bags.....hey, I donated as much money as I could afford to the Obama campaign....ask me if I care How the F--- he spent it?......

He didn't sqaunder it on a $150,000 wardrobe for a K-Mart soccer Mom from Alaska to parade around in, and cause her supporters to call the man out of his name.....

He didn't spend it on numerous B.S. negative ads, that were so far from any truth in them, so if he weren't running for president, he oughta sue your sorry asses for slander.

You morons couldn't put together a decent, honest & mature campaign for your candidates, so I guess this is all you repubs have left.......you are all worse than slime!!

Posted by: malibu08 | November 4, 2008 1:17 PM

What about Palin's trip to Mo to give testimony in ethics probe? Or McCains trip to DC after suspending campaign. Not to mention the clothes, hair and makeup for Palin and Co. They can give the clothes to charity but the hair and makeup?

Posted by: yeshecho | November 4, 2008 1:11 PM

Dumbfounding. The Republicans have done some pretty tasteless things in this election, but this takes the cake.

Posted by: AdamSC | November 4, 2008 1:05 PM

OK, I want the $$ back from Obama. Can we also get the $850 billion back from the bank and insurance bailout? At least receipts?

The Obama plane trip I can probably live with; the $1000's in debt I and everyone in the country will be saddled with for decades to come from helping the banks buy each other, well, it's just not in the same league is it?

But maybe it's all for the best. The rich shouldn't have to clean up their mess, that's what the citizenry is for, to do the jobs Americans don't want to do, right?.

This day is an opportunity to vote for entitlements programs for the wealthy......or not.

Posted by: KassandraTroy | November 4, 2008 1:05 PM

The DNC needs to get it together and counter that Ms. Palin took the campaign jet to Alaska for her Deposition for TropperGate last month. Tit for Tat!!!!

Posted by: kitkatkf | November 4, 2008 1:03 PM

The California GOP is the same group that brought us:

1. McCains attack dog leader Schmidt
2. Indicted and arrested vote fraud firm from Riverside that registered out of county voters in another county.
3. The leader of the women GOP group in Los Angeles that published newsletters with pictures of Obama surounded by racist remarks and pictures.
4. The Sacramento head of the GOP who called Obama a Muslim Terrorist.
5. The Sheriff in upstate California that has harrassed legal immigrants and voters.
6. Randy Duke Cunningham (another disgraced miltary pilot) who was convicted of kickbacks as a US Congressmen.
7. Christopher Cox, the head of the SEC who was voted out of Congress by Californians.
8. 2 Congressmen currently under investigation for taking bribes in the US House.
9. A US Congressmen defeated in 2006 under suspicion for the murder of an aide he was having an affair with while in Washington.
10 In San Diego County all 3 GOP congressmen are in the pocket of the big defense contractors.

The California GOP has no standing to challenge anyone on ethics.

Even the Governator "Arnold" copnsiders them to be right wingnuts.

Posted by: markscoular | November 4, 2008 1:03 PM

A number of years ago, when Ed Koch was mayor of NYC, some reporter dug up something on him that he was using a City phone for making personal, long distance calls (of some length) every Friday afternoon. When confronted with this misuse of city funds for these calls, Koch responded something along the lines that he was embarrassed by the revelation because now the whole world knows that he only calls his elderly father in Florida on Friday afternoons and not every day as he should.

Posted by: rgreenfield1 | November 4, 2008 12:46 PM

When I picture Saint, I imagine he/she foaming at the mouth.

Posted by: VBurs | November 4, 2008 12:39 PM

I am happy that any portion of the small donation I made to the Obama campaign could have helped with this expense. The Republican campaign continues to come across as an angry and bitter group. They just do not get it.

Posted by: IndependentVa | November 4, 2008 12:17 PM

Classless. What would McCain do if he didn't have a wife with her own plane.

Posted by: feebee | November 4, 2008 11:04 AM

As a lifelong Republication, I am truly ashamed of my Party's actions. They may have a legal "right" to file suit, but do they have a "moral" right to exhibit such inhumanity?. I have cast my last Republican vote. How sad.

Posted by: a2frankw | November 4, 2008 10:52 AM

I am overjoyed, not only does the republican party show what they really are (angry, stupid, nasty, right-wing hypocritical, christian zealots), but I see such an appropriate backlash against them for taking such a selfish and vicious action designed only to harass their opponents. Congrats to all those telling the rebublicans the truth and for shame on the republican party for executing this abhorrent act.

Posted by: riall1 | November 4, 2008 10:28 AM

GOP, this is why your partys' respect level is dwindling by the second and why this Independent PA voter just voted for Obama/Biden. Your Repulsive behavior is disgusting, not to mention very "godless".
I hope you get it together and stop trying to divide this nation. Ronald R must be rolling over in his grave right now. DISGRACEFUL.GET IT TOGETHER GOP

Posted by: talexander748 | November 4, 2008 7:49 AM

This strategy is brilliant, maybe they can mock his mother's cancer next or something. I thought the Republicans wanted to win this thing?

Posted by: Lalalu | November 4, 2008 3:49 AM

The GOP makes me want to vomit. What sniveling, slimy, snakes they have become.

The decent republicans must be ashamed and horrifed.

Posted by: sandnsmith | November 4, 2008 3:38 AM

Didn't Bush use public funds to finance his favorite GOPiggies to travel all over the US to aid Republican candidates, prior to the 2006 elections? This funding was a complete violation of the Hatch Act -- the Reichwing owned and operated media yawned.

Cheers,
Lori R. Price
Managing Editor
Citizens For Legitimate Government

Posted by: lorifromclg | November 4, 2008 2:46 AM

SAINT is a racist butt-head as bad as they come. Truly scum of the earth. Perhaps many of you do not appreciate how vulgar the term haole is. It's really on a par with the n-word. It's truly offensive.

Posted by: frantaylor | November 4, 2008 2:29 AM

I hope they begin to realize that mean-spiritedness will get them nowhere.

Posted by: cyberfool | November 3, 2008 5:15 PM

After Bush, McCain and Palin, what else have they got?

Posted by: light_bearer | November 3, 2008 11:24 PM

Hey liberal-hating, right-wing delusionals about to vote against your own self-interest -- enjoy Monday! It's the last day anyone will listen to anything you say. Your president is a lame duck, your candidate is a race-baiter, your party comprises the worst this country has ever produced and your racist brethren will soon be outnumbered by non-whites in the USA.

In other words, have fun spending the rest of your life as a member of an ever smaller minority of bitter, ignored, unemployed laughingstocks. The rest of us will enjoy pointing and laughing at you backward, inbred donkeys. Sayonara!

Posted by: dah_sab | November 3, 2008 11:00 PM

Republicans, McCain/Palin, Arnold are morally bankrupt. They have no soul. We need to tell friends and relatives in every state not to vote for McCain/Palin and to get every morally bankrupt Republican out of office. I gave money to Obama and I was happy that he saw his grandmother. I will now give more money and I will work to see that Arnold never holds office again.

Posted by: Rachel10 | November 3, 2008 10:32 PM

Maybe if Obama would have bought his dying grandmother $150,000 worth of clothes it would be a non-issue. What a bunch of neo-con sleazeballs. Anyone that votes for McCain is a sleazeball by association. You facists are frickin' pathetic....

Posted by: CHICO13 | November 3, 2008 10:17 PM

THERE THEY GO AGAIN!

Picking on little old ladies.

Animals!

Posted by: thenotoriousflavio | November 3, 2008 10:16 PM

Quite an ironic complaint seeing as Sen. McCain took his campaign plane from Newark to Washington D.C. after formally announcing the suspension of his campaign to work on the bailout bill.

I get the sense that the Republican Party organization is fractured and factionalized to the point of incompetence. Not what I feel this country needs at this time.

Irrespective of whether Sen. Obama's use of the plane was proper under FEC guidelines, the only reason to file a complaint would have been for political gain. What gain could one possibly expect to receive by attacking the method by which Sen. Obama chose to visit his dying, and now deceased, grandmother? The only people this will sit well with are the rabid loyalists who needed no convincing. As for the undecided voters - this probably will net more votes for the left than the right. - I think we designed better campaigns in my civics class in high school.

Posted by: pah2 | November 3, 2008 8:55 PM

How remarkably awful and politically stupid.

Posted by: loved1 | November 3, 2008 8:50 PM

Just when I think the dirtbags cannot possibly get any lower or any sleazier, they lower the bar once again. When you look back, John McCain, and wonder why in the world you lost by such a gigantic margin, maybe you better look inward, you old fool, and realize that hope beats hate every day of the week.

Goodbye and good riddance to the neocons and may you die a cold, hard death. You caused great harm to this country and may you all reap what you sowed.

I'm sending money to whomever runs against McCain in 2010.

Posted by: jjmn | November 3, 2008 8:42 PM

The Republican party has no conscience. In Rove World, winning elections is the only thing that matters, & the end always justifies any means used in pursuit of that goal. So, while it is nothing short of disgusting to see the GOP try to taunt & badger a man who's grieving the loss of someone very near & dear, it comes as no surprise to hear about this latest case of Republican mischief-making.
Obama has received campaign contributions from more individual donors than any candidate in history, by far. The vast majority of these were small donations from ordinary average people. There has never been a candidate in history whose candidacy was funded by "the people" more than Obama. Obama was not looking for any political advantage in his planning of this trip to see his beloved grandmother, his soul & inspiration, one more time before she died.
Contrast this with how McCain repeatedly used the private jet owned by his wife's beer distributorship for campaign trips. He then had the audacity to claim that he was only required to reimburse the boozers at the rate of a commercial coach flight instead of the cost of chartering a private aircraft.
Contrast this with how McCain's entire campaign has been run by lobbyists who represented brutal foreign dictators.
If the Republicans are looking for someone to criticize over ethics, they need to look in the mirror at the architects of a smear campaign which specialized in propagating vicious lies about the man who will be our next President.

Posted by: DoctorB | November 3, 2008 8:28 PM

Did the GOP time the release of this complaint to come soon after her death? The GOP sure comes across as heartless and mindless automatons. At the very least, they should have filed the complaint last week or delayed it until next week. This does seem to be more than a political potshot -- a kind of rubbing of the salt even as the person deeply meaningful to Obama just died a few hours back.

Posted by: bob55 | November 3, 2008 7:54 PM

Please remember this article when you go to vote tomorrow. If this group of right wing scoundrels has so little respect for a woman on her death bed, how much do they care about your job, your house or your family

VOTE OBAMA!!!

Posted by: robertchoward | November 3, 2008 7:52 PM

Did someone sit around and say "Hmmm..how can we make ourselves look like complete skunks?"..I know, let's poopoo about Obama visiting his sick grammy, yeah that'll get us some votes. To make matters even worse, the lady passes away, God rest her soul, the same day this story comes out. What fools. They deserve their fate tomorrow.

Posted by: mijoh | November 3, 2008 7:51 PM

We all need to remember, once in a while one of the lost thousand points of light resurface in the GOP's kinder, gentler America. This whiney complaint, is a real piece of work.

Posted by: humanbeng | November 3, 2008 7:29 PM

Happyeverafter-Just WHO do think you are talking to?

FYI- I know more about "Street People", Minority Life, and the Great "TRAP" of socialized welfare;

Than I would ever wish on my worst enemy!

But, might Demand of a Representative.

See, don't patronize me too much;

I was also at Hawai'i Pacific Universty in 1982, like Sarah Palin. Even knew a Sarah she resembles, but the Sarah I knew was there at a later time, and at the Hawai'i Loa Campus in Kaneohe-Whereas I believe Sarah Palin was in Honolulu.

However, a MAJOR difference between me and the Happa Haole Messiah;

MY Family Owned and Operated an Industrial Hiring Hall. Our REGISTERED, Insured, and Payrolled Workers ran the full gamut from Transient Hippies, to deserters, to Alcoholics, Drug addicts, Cons, -You Name it!

I grew up around them!

They all worked very hard jobs, and were real people who had issues they had to deal with!

The real tide turner-CRACK Cocaine!

Now, ICE!

Streets are filled with genuine SCUM Now! La-Raza is not helping!

I went from my Background on the Longshore Docks of Houston, to Oahu!

Barry went from Comfy Cosmo Oahu-To Posing as a Person of Color!

Sooooo, SPARE ME!

Posted by: SAINT---The | November 3, 2008 7:20 PM

Tomorrow night, we will celebrate a new American President, a man of intelligence and integrity, Barack Obama. I am a woman on the verge of retirement whose political campaign work started 40 years ago in 1968. This will truly be a new start for our country, for many of the people in the US and in the world. I am proud to have supported Barack Obama with money and with work.

Posted by: silverspring25 | November 3, 2008 7:14 PM

Saint: heehee......I like to remind my younger liberal buds that in 1964 libs thought they had a liberal consensus.

Four years later after passing the civil rights bill and the voting rights bill, Nixon was President.

I'm sure we will meet again....if I live that long.

:-)

Posted by: toritto | November 3, 2008 7:13 PM

Toritto-LOL! :-D

Now you REALLY did not think you would get rid of me that EASILY;

now DID YOU?

I'll go to cover under the rocks! Take the Capitalist Republic of America Flag with me! Organize the survivors!

Then;

When the Socialist Hordes least expect it(Around Spring 2011);

Rally the Flag and the Capitalist Faithful for Mitt Romney and Sarah(I've learned some since) Palin!!!!

We will rise up out of the desolate waste of the Dimocrat Socialist Destructions!

For;(Everyone else is Quoting-MY Turn)

Plants that cannot Bloom by Day'

Must Flower in the Night!

Posted by: SAINT---The | November 3, 2008 7:05 PM

Oh Saint, you're at it again. There's a lot of people out here who feel sad for you; you've convinced yourself of a whole lot of hate and fear that only exists in the minds of a few paranoid souls.

DorchesterWhatever, you're pretty bad too.

What I like about Obama is that he is able to see multiple points of view. I think it's important that he listened to Wright for all those years, and that he has taken the time to meet people and listen to perspectives from all sides -- some of them are people I agree with; many of them aren't. The point is that he is willing to embrace the complexity of the world; he is willing to listen to many sides of the story.

Like the Rev. Wright thing. The sermons that are famous via YouTube are not the only things he preached, and if you read Obama's books you'll see that there were other, more harmonious ideas there. Look, the anger, rage, hurt, and pain in the black community exists. It's there, it's real. And you need a leader who takes the time to listen to it and understand it in order to solve it. Obama doesn't agree with it all, but he has taken some time to connect with it -- and that's part of the compassion that a leader needs.

Same thing with the Palestinians; same thing with the Weathermen; same thing with all the Republicans and conservatives he has befriended too. This is a guy who meets lots of people, gives everyone a chance, and is interested to hear more than one side of the story.

He's a good guy -- and honestly, if you need to spew your anger and petty rage, do it somewhere else -- there are plenty of threads out there for you, but I think most people looking at this thread are more interested in expressing their genuine compassion and sadness over the death of this interesting woman, Obama's grandmother, than in hearing you guys rant about who the "real" Black people are or fifty new reasons to be afraid. We don't need it. We like our new President.

Posted by: happyeverafter | November 3, 2008 7:04 PM

The Anthem of 2008

Obama! 08!

Posted by: toritto | November 3, 2008 7:01 PM

They're dogs! They show the compassion of snakes. They deserve nothing less than social ostracism and political oblivion. What penance must they serve for their disservice to America. Shame on them.

Posted by: thebobbob | November 3, 2008 6:57 PM

I love all the chatter about “reverse racism”, Rev. Wright, Louis Farrakhan etc.

I’m an old retired “wop”. When I was a kid I lived in an Italian neighborhood in New York and never saw a black face. In public school every kid’s name ended in a vowel. I learned nothing in school of Jim Crow or segregation in the South. I learned nothing of black history other than they were slaves before the Civil War and Booker T. Washington. I learned nothing of my own history. The “history of America” was quite sanitized.

I got a job in a bank mail room when I was 16 and met my first black man up close and personal. I’ll call him J. J. He was a grown man doing the same job as a high school kid.

I cringe to this day when I think of the fact that I called him “boy” more than once. Why? Because I had seen it in the movies and didn’t know any better. I was totally ignorant..

After I did it several times he quietly but firmly asked that I not call him that. His name was “John”. His dignity made me understand that I had done something dreadfully wrong. He looked at me like a disapproving father.

I learned from that man his struggles and his family’s struggles and what it meant to be a black man in America.

I left that job and went on to college in the South and learned. I spent four years in the Army during Vietnam and learned some more.

Then came the murder of civil rights workers in Mississippi and the death of Viola Liuzzo.

:Liuzzo was one of “my people”.. She left her home to travel to Selma because she had been horrified by the TV coverage of the march over the Edmund Pettus Bridge. She went to help.

While driving marchers home she was spotted by Klan members, chased 20 miles and shot dead in her car. Her funeral was held in Detroit attended by many prominent members of the civil rights movement and the Michigan state government, including Dr. King, James Farmer and Roy Wilkins.

It was later revealed that there was an FBI informant in the car with the Klan during the shooting. He did nothing to stop the murder. J. Edgar Hoover didn’t care for the civil rights movement.

Two weeks later a burning cross was placed in front of Viola’s old home.

We have come along way since those days. We still have a long way to go.

If you want to know what 1940s America (not 1860s America) was really like for black people read Gunnar Myrdal’s 1944 masterpiece “An American Dilemma - The Negro Problem and Modern Democracy”. Walk a mile in another man’s shoes.

Posted by: toritto | November 3, 2008 6:54 PM

Shameless GOP!!!!

Posted by: onehitwonder | November 3, 2008 6:53 PM

Maria, hit Arnold. He is not like these neo-cons- his party should be ashamed of itself!

Posted by: pwickman | November 3, 2008 6:50 PM

Saint - you're really going to need counseling.

:-)

See you here Wednesday?

Posted by: toritto | November 3, 2008 6:47 PM

Historymaker-Sheesh! Your User ID Screams "I'm a RACIST!"

So, DON'T call me one!

What HISTORY are you referring to?

Maybe a "Black" Man becoming the President?

FYI-Originally I was trying to promote General Colin Powell! A REAL "Black"!

Not an Elitist, Reverse Racist, Happa Haole(Half white), who grew up in very Cosmo Oahu Hawai'i, only to then become a Reverse Racist at his Racist Church under the Tutelage of God D' the KKK of A Rev. Wright!

My Beef with Barack Hussein, is his ties to the World Labor Party, and Bills like S-2433 Global Poverty Act(World Income Tax).

Then,(I DID Warn you to Back-Off), how about the FACT, our World's Leaders have been dealing with First Colin Powell, Then, Dr. Condi Rice for EIGHT YEARS!

THAT Great Big Slice of History-GIVEN to you by the evil Racist RepubliCANS!

Who, it seems to me, are NOT so Racist now are they?!

But on the other hand...

How are Dimocrat Socialists on being SEXIST?! ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | November 3, 2008 6:44 PM

The GOP Rats are Deserting the USS McCain in Titanic Proportions

The Republican rats are all jumping the ship. The USS McCain/Titanic is in full sink mode and all the traditional Republicans, strategists and party faithful are running away as fast as they can.

All of these Republican water-carriers who faithfully parroted every lunacy and vicious Bush/Cheney lie of the last eight years are seeing their Propaganda Factory shut down and put out of business. They can't control the national conversation anymore, so they're all angling to be considered "one of the good ones" in the post-conservative era. I look for a lot of these guys to start avoiding Fixed News Channel like the plague the next few years as they seek to rehab their reputations.

Posted by: DrainYou | November 3, 2008 6:39 PM

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Are you Republican and wondering tonight how your party got to this point?

Think about the last 8 years of unnecessary war, corruption, shredding of the Consitituion, torturing prisoners, suspending Hageas Corpus, outright lying to the american people and the financial collapse.

Think about it.......

Posted by: toritto | November 3, 2008 6:37 PM

Indiana! Ohio! Pennsylvania!

This one's for you.

Posted by: toritto | November 3, 2008 6:35 PM

In the debates Obama let McCain make certain statements that were incorrect without countering. He knew when it is best to keep your mouth shut, even if you are right. The Republicans who filed this complaint and the supporters who applaud this challenge don't know when to keep their mouths shut. We will know that the Republican Party is a party to field candidates that should be voted for. There will be an end to such tasteless acts.

Posted by: Gator-ron | November 3, 2008 6:34 PM

DorchesterandCongress and Saint,

You are both so blind, prejudiced, and ignorant that you make me want to puke. When Obama wins, sit in your chair, and realize how absolutely stupid you both are. Then watch the country grow, evolve, and improve. And watch our relations with the rest of the world improve with it. Watch our soldiers die less often, and watch our kids grow up smarter than you THANK GOD, although not a difficult task.

Posted by: Historymaker | November 3, 2008 6:23 PM

Goodbye death, destruction and ditto-heads.

Hello peace, prosperity and progressives.

Posted by: jrob822 | November 3, 2008 6:22 PM

Repugs. Speechless. Period

Posted by: Roberto_Old_European | November 3, 2008 6:17 PM

Obama2008, they should be "ashamed" EVEN IF the law / regulations were violated?

Posted by: MarkInAustin | November 3, 2008 6:11 PM

Posted by: DorchesterAndCongress | November 3, 2008 5:49 PM

Are you an an actual human who might possibly read the headline--let alone the article--before you cut-and-paste in the same old post you've cut-and-paste into every election thread today? Or are you the newest manifestation of the Republican smear machine: the robo-poster?

Posted by: multiplepov | November 3, 2008 6:01 PM

I'm not surprised that Grampy McCain and Alaskan Blunder Woman are getting their butts kicked in this election because I'm still trying to figure out what the McCain campaign message is, other than:
"Don't vote for the scary black guy"
-MCCAIN/PALIN 08!

Posted by: DrainYou | November 3, 2008 5:59 PM

I'm so disgusted, I'm going to contact the FEC, and then I'm going to circulate this article for exposure. This must not be rewarded. They ought to be ashamed of their selves.

Posted by: Obama2008 | November 3, 2008 5:55 PM

Oh, for the Love of...

Some of you Sheeple Parrot the lamest of innuendos!

That $150 K INCLUDED Motel/Hotel, Transportation, Dining, and Accommodations-For all!

Pretty FRUGAL Actually-But, She, like Barack, could afford to cover her kids expenses! If, they are "Off Limits", THEY, are Outside "Pockets"!

Posted by: SAINT---The | November 3, 2008 5:55 PM

You GOP b'tards can go to hell, but you need to give us the country back first.

Posted by: jrob822 | November 3, 2008 5:52 PM

Did John "Thank God My Wife Owns A Private Jet" McCain, reimburse anyone after he "suspended" his campaign and yet he continued to travel?

Did McCain reimburse anyone for the weekend jaunts to his ranch to wait for his own personal cell phone tower? Is this really the road the GOP wants to go down right now?

I love the smell of Wingnut desperation in the morning. It smells like...victory for OBAMA/BIDEN 08!

Posted by: DrainYou | November 3, 2008 5:50 PM

those stinking lousy repugs, some of them said the grandmother wasn't even sick.now what can they say,may the lord have mercy on them. i not only want the senator to win but very decisivly.will the repugs ever learn?the governor actually mocked the size of the senator's legs. will they lose let them all go away.please. GO OBAMA!

Posted by: ninnafaye | November 3, 2008 5:49 PM

If there was a white Presidential candidate who was found to be a member of a racist church, same as the Rev. Wright's church except substitute "white values" for "black values" and visa vera, THE MEDIA WOULD BE IN TOTAL ATTACK MODE AGAINST THAT WHITE CANDIDATE.

OBAMA IS A RACIST - OBAMA GAVE $20,000.00 TO A RACIST CHURCH IN ONE YEAR.

YOU CALL THAT JUDGEMENT ???

Washington Post - there are a lot of Churches in Chicago which are black and which are not racist - Obama did not have to give $20,000.00 to this one Church - STOP GIVING OBAMA A PASS ON HIS RACISM AGAINST WHITES.

WAKE UP WASHINGTON POST WAKE UP MEDIA.

WAKE UP AMERICA.

Exactly right he's racist. Just listen to Irreverend Wrong, his pastor for many, many years.

Exactly right he's socialist. Just listen to him admit it to Joe the Plumber, or his interviews in the past.

Exactly right he's a rotten human being. Just look at his abortion voting record.

Exactly right he has questionable judgment. Just look at his associations with people in his past.

Exactly right he's corrupt. Just look at the Rezko land deal.

Exactly right he's a liar. Just look at what he says about taxes vs. how he's actually voted.

Exactly right he has no executive experience. Just look at his resume -- or lack thereof.

Exactly right he's secretive. Just look at his lack of birth certificate, SAT scores, grades, etc. etc., etc.

Exactly right he'll be challenged in his first 6 months of office if elected. Just look at what he says about meeting unconditionally with world leaders.

We cannot be SERIOUS about electing this guy!! Obama in charge of nukes?! What. The.

Sorry George Washington, we messed everything up.

We stopped demanding the best people in the White House.

Posted by: DorchesterAndCongress | November 3, 2008 5:49 PM

Well, thanks to the delusional, neo-con, heartless, repugnicans, the undecided votes have now been determined - IN FAVOR OF OBAMA.

God bless the soul of Ms. Dunham and condolences to the family of PRESIDENT Barack Obama !!!!

Posted by: Priapus10@hotmail.com | November 3, 2008 5:48 PM

God bless Obama's grandmother. I'd have really liked for her to see the fruits of her work, very well done. I am enlightened that she got to see her grandson achieve this much and with the welcome of much of this country. I admire her. I am thankful that Obama got a chance to spend time with her one last time. I'm sure this is a disappointment for Obama, bless his heart.

As for this here article, on the otherhand, it just adds to my list of reasons for why I believe that not all but PLENTY in the Republican category are without compassion and conscience on a scale witnessed as of recent history as late as today. What Christian person can downright support such a non-compassionate party, with their ugliness in full display this election year, and when a loved one has past they make politics out of a serious personal event. For the record, as a donor to the campaign, I DON'T CARE whether or not Obama used my money to visit his ill grandmother. Where's the morals? This isn't about politics, those jerks. That ticks me off. I'm disgusted. And some of us Christians call ourselves one issue voters, with such non-compassion from the likes of these. I'm disgusted. I'm all about Obama visiting his grandmother, and I'm about a longer list of priorities, fighting to right a lot of these wrongs in this country and against a large group of people. This is disgusting. I can't emphasize it enough.

Posted by: Obama2008 | November 3, 2008 5:46 PM

If you contributed to the Obama campaign, and like me, are okay with the idea of your money going to fund the trip to see his grandmother, email the FEC. Let them know it's okay if your money pays for the trip to Hawaii.

Posted by: jonesey1 | November 3, 2008 5:46 PM

Whoa There Dimocrat Socialists with the Attacks on Character!

This is the exact same beloved "Tutu" Barack Hussein so callously "Threw under his Bus" as being "Racist" back at the beginning of his campaign;

REMEMBER?!

In FACT, she got thrown under, while he was still spouting off his unconditional support for God D' the KKK of A Reverend(Adopted UNCLE) Wright!

So BACK OFF!

Posted by: SAINT---The | November 3, 2008 5:45 PM

dollylama, there will be more than 11 Republican votes in California. Hell, there will be more than 11 Republican votes here in liberal Austin, Texas!

Posted by: MarkInAustin | November 3, 2008 5:43 PM

Hmmmmmm, let's see:

Visting your dying grandmother (Senator Obama)

VS

Going on a $150,000 campaign funded shopping spree...(Palin)

The Wingnuts are so stupid...
_____________________________________

I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: shejoy | November 3, 2008 5:43 PM

scrivner50: I only wish I was.......

:-)

Posted by: toritto | November 3, 2008 5:42 PM

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Are you Republican and wondering tonight how your party got to this point?

Think about it.......

Posted by: toritto | November 3, 2008 5:40 PM

Toritto:

You are psychic. Truly, it is the anthem of this saga.

Posted by: scrivener50 | November 3, 2008 5:39 PM

It will be interesting and fun to watch the GOP shrink to a few nativist haters, a couple of religious nuts, and the Kathryn Jean-Lopez's of the world in the next few years.

As long as the Rethuglican party continues to offer huge outsized tax breaks for the filthy rich and nothing for everyone else, the extremist nuts will be the only one's left carrying the GOPer banner after 2008.

I think it is going to be a while before we hear about the big tent Republican party.

Ladies and Germs...I give you your 2009 Republican party:

All hail the GOPer "pup tent party"!

Posted by: DrainYou | November 3, 2008 5:38 PM

A very petty move, but not a surprise. Next they'll complain about his visit home for Halloween with his daughters.

Posted by: DemoDevil | November 3, 2008 5:37 PM

They knew she was gravely ill, and didn't have the smarts to know that they should wait until after the election to do this?

Not a good reflection on their judgment.

May Mrs. Dunham rest in peace.

Tragic. Politically, worst timing possible for the GOP. Hard to attack a man when he's down.

Posted by: scrivener50 | November 3, 2008 5:37 PM

I don't know a soul who's not been battered,
I don't have a friend who feels at ease.
I don't know a dream that's not been shattered
Or driven to its knees.

But it's all right, it's all right,
For we've lived so well, so long.
Still, when I think of the road we're traveling on,
I wonder what's gone wrong.
I can't help it, I wonder what's gone wrong.
--Paul Simon, "American Tune"

Tomorrow! Obama '08

Posted by: toritto | November 3, 2008 5:36 PM

This is one of the reasons why the California GOP has only about 11 voters statewide....they are so out of it! I should know, I live here. Of course Obama checked with his lawyers...he's that kind of guy! And if the lawyers were wrong, you can betcha, Obama will reimburse the campaign. However, he certainly doesn't need to give me back my $200 contribution. I approve. Lastly, how sad for Obama on the eve of his election. But you gotta know that he grandmother is looking out for him.

Posted by: dollylama | November 3, 2008 5:32 PM

If the RNC broke the law with Palin's clothes (the McCain campaign did not pay for those), we need to know that too.

Posted by: MarkInAustin | November 3, 2008 5:32 PM

How can anyone with a modicum of intelligence be surprised by this? The Republican party is just being true to form. Does anybody remember that a good number of them were claiming that when Obama went to visit his dying grandmother a week or so ago it was only a cover for him to deal with his "forged" birth certificate?

And can you believe that I have an acquaintance who doesn't understand why I never vote Republican? All the more reason to see that their number is few in Washington after tomorrow.

Posted by: CynthiaD1 | November 3, 2008 5:31 PM

Can you imagine the emotions he is dealing with?

Heartless Republicans making sickening comments. Screw you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obama is strong, intelligent, courageous and will lead this country as it should be with millions of Americans behind him.

OBAMA '08

Bless his grandma's soul and thank her for raising a strong man.

Posted by: shejoy | November 3, 2008 5:29 PM

Idiots.

Posted by: RollaMO | November 3, 2008 5:29 PM

Hmmmmmm, let's see:

Visting your dying grandmother (Senator Obama)

VS

Going on a $150,000 campaign funded shopping spree...(Palin)

The Wingnuts are so stupid...

Palin is a Freeloader

$150,000 shopping sprees (at all the best "elitist" shops, no less), on the Republican National Committee tab.

$21,012 worth of free flights for her daughters, charged to the state of Alaska.

All this, when she already makes $125,000 a year as governor and pockets an extra $22,883 in energy extraction royalties.

Palin is a chisler supreme.

All of which makes the fact that she charged $16,951 in expenses charged to the state, including 312 per diem allowances for staying in her own home just that much more amazing.

A dual income family, with Sarah earning $125K. Free travel (even for the family), and now free clothes, hair and makeup. They can actually go out in her backyard and shoot a moose, keeping her family in free mooseburger for a year. And still she feels the need to cheat. Shoot that moose for free and still charge the state $60 per burger. And she claims she deserves every bit of it.

Now that's what I call a perverse sense of entitlement.

"Sounds like socialism to me," to borrow a phrase.

Just another fake "bootstrapper" Republican. What a shocker.

Meanwhile, we all have to endure the indignity of Palin turning the campaign for the Vice Presidency into some kind of FOX reality TV makeover show, where they take some ridiculously not-ready-for-prime-time pol and dress her up, push her out on the stage, and see if they can turn her into a VP in 10 weeks.

What the f^ck, right? It's just being second in line to the nuclear launch codes. No big thing. We could even do a whole co-promotional deal with moose sandwiches at Subway.

Thanks, Republicans. You sure do love our country n' stuff and goodluck to you in your newly minted 4th party gadfly status starting in 2009.

Posted by: DrainYou | November 3, 2008 5:28 PM

The GOP fall flat on their faces.

Posted by: maritza1 | November 3, 2008 5:28 PM

Right- investigate Senator Obama (who took his traveling press corps to Hawaii) for going to visit his dying grandmother, but don't you dare question the GOP's use of $150,000 of supporter and taxpayer money to buy Sarah Palin and her family a new wardrobe. 'Cuz, ya know, they're gonna give the clothes to charity- yeah, that's the ticket. So much for family values. Republicans= Desperate Dirtbags.

Posted by: paige3 | November 3, 2008 5:28 PM

As a frequent Obama campaign contributor, I don't care if the campaign paid for his trip to see his grandmother. It's not as if he spent more than I make in three years on clothes for his family. The GOP has proven, once again, that it has no class.

Posted by: goodwinc | November 3, 2008 5:19 PM

cyberfool, I doubt anyone at the California Republican Party knew about the grandmother's demise before filing the complaint.

Posted by: MarkInAustin | November 3, 2008 5:18 PM

I think O'Bomba could have afforded the Trip out of his own pockets.

Ill timed?

Sorry, but maybe it was all just a Political stunt!

While I sincerely am saddened by the News of her death, I have to react to this article trying to make the GOP seem like Evil louts.

To be very Wealthy, and waste Contributions from your deluded masses for what was supposed to be a very Personal venture-While Proclaiming it all LOUDLY,

Well,

That's-Not Exactly;

Saintly! ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | November 3, 2008 5:18 PM

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

The Rethuglican's are seeing their ruthless power being yanked away from them because of their own incompetence and they're throwing a tantrum. After controlling the White House for the last eight years and controlling Congress for ten of the last twelve years they've proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that conservatism is a failed ideology and now they're panicking.

Here's some mavericky straight-talk, my friends:

Posted by: DrainYou | November 3, 2008 5:18 PM

Like it or not, the country must go on. If the Obama campaign broke the law, we need to know. What I want to see is if anyone got an affidavit from the grandmother about his real birthplace?

Posted by: MarkInAustin | November 3, 2008 5:16 PM

I hope they begin to realize that mean-spiritedness will get them nowhere. Releasing this on the day she dies is about as bad as it gets.

Posted by: cyberfool | November 3, 2008 5:15 PM

I think it's fair to raise the question (after everyone piled on Palin about those clothes), but really, really insensitively timed. Tacky, one might say.

Posted by: kitcarlson | November 3, 2008 5:15 PM

Ouch. Yikes. Looks like the California GOP has a case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Man, the Republican Party can't catch a break these days, can it? Karma's a mother.

Posted by: manalive | November 3, 2008 5:14 PM