The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

The First Lady

Laura Bush Invites Michelle Obama to Visit New Home

First lady Laura Bush speaks with Michelle Obama on Nov. 5, 2008, from the family residence at the White House. (Joyce N. Boghosia/White House)

By Shailagh Murray
CHICAGO -- First Lady Laura Bush invited Michelle Obama and daughters Sasha and Malia to the White House in the coming weeks to get a feel for their new abode. Obama accepted, and a trip will be scheduled soon.

In a telephone conversation this afternoon, Bush congratulated Obama and the two discussed life as a president's wife, according an account provided by the Obama campaign. Obama thanked Bush for her offer of help through the transition.

In interviews during the campaign, Obama has cited Bush as a role model for how she has handled a potentially perilous job with grace and a sense of purpose. Bush came to Obama's defense at a crucial moment, while she was being lambasted for the comment, "For the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country."

In an interview on "Good Morning America," Bush said, "I think she probably meant 'I'm more proud'" and warned Obama, "you have to be very careful in what you say" on the campaign trail.

"That's one of the things you learn and that's one of the really difficult parts both of running for president and for being the spouse of the president, and that is everything you say is looked at and in many cases misconstrued," Bush said in the interview.

Meanwhile, President-elect Barack Obama remained in transition meetings throughout day, although he held an emotional conference call with hundreds of campaign aides in his Chicago headquarters and around the country.

He called the group "the best political team in history" that would be "shaping the world for years to come." He singled out his campaign manager David Plouffe for special praise. Unlike most senior Obama advisers, Plouffe is not expected to assume a White House role; for the time being at least, he will return to private life.

Plouffe encouraged the aides to remain in public service, calling the campaign "a pathway to how you make a difference in people's lives," according to participants in the call.

Posted at 8:26 PM ET on Nov 5, 2008  | Category:  The First Lady
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Bush Immigration Chief Julie Myers Out | Next: Murray Reflects on Obama Campaign

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

"I'm interested to see when people stop showing their hatred for Bush. It's just getting old and 51% of the nation is tired of hearing you moan.

Posted by: fluF_puf | November 6, 2008 5:58 PM |"

Not sure about your math -- Bush's approval rating has been below 40 for years now and in the 20s for most of this year. So the vast majority of Americans dislike him.

Posted by: simpleton1 | November 6, 2008 6:31 PM

It's humorous how so many people are quick to chastise the president.

Yes, Laura is a first-class woman. And Michelle will hopefully be the same. I just hope she doesn't end up like Mrs. Clinton, get into politics, and become the butt of every late-night talk show host. First ladies don't deserve that extra scrutiny. I honestly feel bad for Hillary.

Posted by: fluF_puf | November 6, 2008 5:58 PM

Mrs. Bush, thank you for you sense of decency; I wish there were more like you around your husband.

Posted by: meldupree | November 6, 2008 5:00 PM

accentmark wrote:

I will continue to despise the media and hope for their rapid destruction with every bone and vein in my body though.
____________
Lighten up, man... Life's too short to have that kind of hate flowing through "every bone and vein in (your) body"

Posted by: hamptontonyc | November 6, 2008 3:00 PM

This ardent Bush critic echoes the sentiments of others here:

"Three Cheers for Laura!!!"

Posted by: Spectator | November 6, 2008 1:11 PM

Laura Bush is a first class human being and has been a gracious and admirable first lady. I wish GWB had been as well served by the other members of his administration

Posted by: claritygraph | November 6, 2008 11:26 AM

One of my favorite parts of our democracy is how gracious the outgoing First family is to the incoming First family. I suspect it is because no matter the political affiliation, it is extraordinarily tough to put your family under such a microscopic lens and if anyone understands those challenges, it is the outgoing First family. I think the Bushes have a genuine respect for the Obamas and I look forward to seeing it play out smoothly.

I've never liked George W. (disgust and thinly-veiled hatred come to mind) but for some reason, I can't help but love Laura Bush. It's one of those paradoxes I will never understand but there it is...every American loves Mrs. Bush because she is classy, beautiful and intelligent. She has been a great First Lady and she is an excellent example for Michelle Obama. I hope Mrs. Obama will be a mix of Laura's classiness with a dash of Hillary's sassiness. ;)

Posted by: around | November 6, 2008 11:25 AM

Too bad Laura Bush is married to George. I admit I do not and have not liked George W but Laura, I have to say is a gracious and classy woman. George is a very lucky.

Posted by: gabbamonkey | November 6, 2008 10:56 AM

Laura Bush, Betty Ford, Jackie Kennedy, "Ladybird" Johnson, Rosalyn Carter and, of course, Eleanore Roosevelt are the First Ladies I most admire. It's obvious to see the love and FRIENDSHIP between Michelle and Barack Obama. I have no doubt that Michelle will continue to be the "rock" of her family and that she will use her intellect and talents to help make this a better nation.

Posted by: joy2 | November 6, 2008 9:58 AM

As an African-American "Moderate" Republican (I voted for Barack Obama)...........The 1st Lady of the USA, Mrs. Bush is Style, Grace and Class that is 2nd to none!!

If you look over her history as a Teacher, Librarian and 1st Lady of the Great State of Texas, she has taught, educated & Displayed all the 3 Traits above to All People of Race in the State of Texas.

Whe she "COOL" the Jets of People speaking "ILL-WILL" of Michelle Obama's Comments, This was a Testimony to her as a Lovely Lady, Wonderful Woman "AND" an Ideally Intelligent, Inspiring Individual!!

Ms. Obama has numerous of 1st Ladies to follow behind, if smart.........Mrs. Laura Bush is 2nd to None!

Posted by: baker_everett | November 6, 2008 8:53 AM

Laura Bush is truly a class act. I've never been a fan of her husband, but even the most loyal Democrat has to admit that she's carried out the duties of First Lady flawlessly.

Posted by: alc0f7 | November 6, 2008 8:34 AM

For accentmark:
That urban myth about the missing "w"s has been discredited. It did not happen! Ask John McCain how Bush treated him in his 2000 campaign. George W. Bush and Karl Rove will be forever linked.
The Bushes have been very gracious towards the First Family elect, and perhaps this is a new beginning for the whole country. Someone else wrote: "Rosa sat so Martin could march so Obama could run so our children could fly!"

Posted by: sbjt | November 6, 2008 8:30 AM

I think the Obamas became familiar with Clintonian hospitality during the primary season.

Posted by: positiveforce | November 6, 2008 7:30 AM

Laura Bush, still the only human being in the administration.

Posted by: miket000 | November 5, 2008 10:47 PM

For the Family, no kidding. Somehow I gather there will be few vandalized computer keyboards missing the letter O this time around.

And unlike the media, the Bush's, who have always treated their adversaries with grace and dignity, have been ravaged and slandered by them.

I'm heartened to see Mrs. Obama recognize Mrs. Bush's respect and graciousness of her and sincerely hope her transition is met with ease and her daughters enjoy their life as America's daughters. It will be fun to watch them grow up.

Posted by: accentmark | November 5, 2008 10:17 PM

It's lovely to see Mr.s Bush treating Mrs. Obama with the same grace and dignity that the Bush's were welcomed to the White House as the Clintons.

Posted by: ForTheFamily2006 | November 5, 2008 9:49 PM