The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Cabinet

All Eyes on Bill Clinton

Former president Bill Clinton addresses an audience in Kuwait on Nov. 16, 2008, at a symposium hosted by Kuwait's largest bank. (Stephanie Mcgehee/Reuters)

By Anne E. Kornblut
Former president Bill Clinton's business and international work is being closely examined in hopes of clearing the way for Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton to become secretary of state, several people familiar with the process said Monday.

They did not describe President-elect Barack Obama as having formally offered her the job but said that there is an understanding that if Clinton can sort out her husband's global work -- which has made him an international philanthropic powerhouse but also earned him millions in speaking fees from foreign companies, creating obvious potential conflicts-of-interest -- she would have a good, if not completely certain, shot at it.

"There's a lot of momentum in the direction of this happening," close Clinton friend James Carville said. He said that the former president's work -- both past and future -- is a complicating matter. "She's not married to Todd Palin," Carville said.

Reports of the move, which first surfaced last week, have stunned some Obama loyalists who said they fear the administration is becoming an all-Clinton operation, with the transition run by former Clinton chief of staff John Podesta. Greg Craig, the former special counsel during the Clinton impeachment, is slotted to serve as White House counsel (he is much less of a Clinton partisan, having backed Obama during the primaries). Rahm Emanuel, who was political director during the Clinton administration, is now Obama's chief of staff.

But longtime Obama supporters have for the most part expressed their concerns quietly. And Clinton backers said the appointment's benefits would far outweigh the risks. "I'm sure there'd be some people who'd be disappointed, but they'd get over it; things have cooled down a lot since June," said Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.), a close Clinton ally. "When I heard about it, I thought, what an inspired choice, what a bold move, and what an incredible, positive signal to the world."

Posted at 3:15 PM ET on Nov 17, 2008  | Category:  Cabinet
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: The Battle for Energy and Commerce | Next: Obama School Search Heats Up With Girls' Visit

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I am not reaaly sure how this will work with Senator Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State. I think the FOREIGN POLICY of an Obama Administration will be BLURRED with Bill and Hillary's views on that subject ... so Obama is not likely to take ownership of that policy. I am skeptical because I think it is in Bill's self interest TO WORK ON HIS OWN LEGACY given that Hillary might not have a shot at running for President in 2012 or 2016. Why complicate the vision ... I ask of the President Elect ... when we still need to see what he has got. The Presidency has not begun as yet ... and we are talking about Bill and Hillary. We need to make sure that when Hillary or Bill speaks ... we understand that it is on behalf of soon to be President Obama.

I know that Hillary deserve something ... and Bill does not always have to be in the way of her political ambitions ... but it is what it is. A major distraction when there are a lot of problems facing this country.

Posted by: amitchell13 | November 18, 2008 8:21 PM

Considering the fact that "W" has a White House filled with hasbeen neo-cons who have totally derailed this country with their dream of totally subduing the Middle East, giving the country away to corporate America and turning us into the most milataristic country in the world, what's wrong with President Obama surrounding himeself with a group of people who know what what we have become and turning us around before we totally go off the cliff like the lemmings we were becoming?

I want my rights back, I want the government out of my bedroom, out of my gay neighbor's bedroom, out of my Doctor's office, out of my bank account, out of my library.

At 62 and still happily in the work force, I want to be proud of my country again. I want to have my President speak to me (in standard American English) and I want him to tell me the truth, regardless of what the truth is.

I can't take credit for this particular phrase, but, "I'm tired of being trickled on."

Posted by: sharonkettelhut | November 18, 2008 4:14 PM

Mosat of us understand that Hillary has earned a big job in the next administration if she wants it.

Posted by: kevrobb | November 17, 2008 11:14 PM

=====================================

are you a moron.... Obama won despite all of Rodham Clintons scams...

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | November 18, 2008 12:37 PM

Why the censorship Ms Anne E. Kornblut?! The other day, I was watching Russia Today TV in English, and to my surprise I found their news more honest, more accurate, and covering more world topics than anything I see in our newspapers or on our TV stations.

And, when one makes an opinion, you simply censor it. Stop playing this "journalistic" tyranny, please. Censorship is a great part of the reason why our country is collapsing in every way imaginable.

Posted by: Golden_Thunder | November 18, 2008 10:57 AM

Ohhhh, I can just Picture it...

Tanned, Pampered, and Jubilant Slick, arrives back home from his Luxurious, and opulent stay in Dubayy(Dubaii);

"Hill Honey! Have we got a GREAT thing Going!
But, first;

I need to you do something!" ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | November 18, 2008 10:53 AM

I suggest that Bill will not influence Hillary undully, given that he has yet to pay his pound of flesh for his dalliance with the hungry Monica. In fact, Hillary may be the best SoS candidate and performer-in the wings that America could want. Certainly her loyalty cannot be suspected as can Joe Lieberman's. I'd rather have Hillary on my side and assisting than Lieberman's declared opposition as H.S. chairmanship!

Posted by: naahbob | November 18, 2008 10:37 AM

if i was black, i'd be ashamed

Posted by: maricopajoe
*************
If you were black, I would be ashamed. But since you are not, my condolences to the white race...

Posted by: LABC | November 18, 2008 10:07 AM

And take it sleasy

Posted by: EliPeyton
****************
Words you live by, apparently...

Posted by: LABC | November 18, 2008 10:03 AM

Hillary's great passion is healthcare reform. It's her great unfinished work, it's the thing she knows most about, and it's the issue that most attracted voters to her in the primaries.

Many of Hillary's biggest supporters, while believing that she's qualified to be Sec of State, would much rather see her in other positions closer to home. Especially health.

By a happy coincidence, many of those most interested in foreign policy would also like to see Hillary employed closer to home.

When you have such a rare conjunction of opinion, you should go with it. Hillary has a far better shot at carving her name in history as the woman who fixed US healthcare, than as just another Secy of State.

Posted by: kevrobb | November 17, 2008 11:14 PM

Let's put this discussion to rest. Sen. Clinton would make a superior Secretary of State as she would have a President-Elect. This might just be the "dream-team" we need at this moment in time. Whether or not Hillary sees this role as her long term, most effective contribution is only known to her. Her husband will be an invaluable asset in whatever choice she makes.

Posted by: mfulcher | November 17, 2008 11:05 PM

I think we are seeing the re-emergence of the parallel neo-con cabal. As all involved support torture and war with Iran. I think a deal was made with AIPAC.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | November 17, 2008 11:00 PM

Before this election I liked the Clintons and I don't dislike them today. I am just burned out on Hillary from the primaries. My initial reaction to her possibly becoming SOS related to the enormous amount of press coverage she will get and I am not ready for her comeback on that front yet.

However, I completely trust Obama's judgment, and if this is what he believes is best, I can live with it. (But secretly I hope he decides otherwise.)

Posted by: kelso1 | November 17, 2008 10:59 PM

I was standing on the corner in Mena, Arkansas, it's such a fine sight to see.
It's a plane, and Gore, in flatbed Ford, slowing down to take a shot at me.
Come on, Bubba,
Don't say say Hubba
I gotta know if your drug ring belongs to Dubya.
You may lose, but you usually win,
But you will never be here again,
So open up that bottle of gin,
And take it sleasy.

Well, Barry's running down the road, tryin' to loosen his load,
He's got seven women in his car,
Four want an appointment,
Two they need some ointment,
One says Bubba's not too far.

Take it sleasy
Take it greasy
Don't let the sound of your drug deals drive you crazy
Destroy files while you still can
Don't even try to understand
Just find a place where you can land,
And take it sleasy

Posted by: EliPeyton | November 17, 2008 10:52 PM

HELLO all you ignorants-
Richardson supported the President's right to use military force as well-
so did:
Max Baucus, Evan Bayh, JOSEPH BIDEN, John Breaux, Maria Cantwell, Jean Carnahan, Thomas Carper, Max Cleland, Hillary Clinton, TOM DASCHLE, Christopher Dodd, Byron Dorgan, JOHN EDWARDS, Dianne Feinstein, Tom Harkin, Fritz Hollings, Tim Johnson, JOHN KERRY, Herb Kohl, Mary Landrieu, Joseph Lieberman, Blanche Lincoln, Zell Miller, Bill Nelson, Ben Nelson, HARRY REED, Jay Rockefeller, Chuck Schumer, Bob Torricelli

it seems like a lot of Obama allies and administration people are there- isn't it hypocritical to disqualify only her from the position but wait, there is more:

other supports
Rahm Emanuel
Bill Richardson

People not in a position to make a difference in the debate who also possessed the same amount of information about it as me:

Barak Obama

Perhaps the vote on giving a sitting president negotiating power- which is what, in the large scale this vote was really about, given all the data given to the congress which suggested problems- is not a good criteria to make a decision upon.

I was out protesting the war many times in 2002-2008 - that doesn't qualify me to be in the cabinet-

Leon

Posted by: nycLeon | November 17, 2008 10:34 PM

The saddest thing about stupid people is that they don't know they are stupid. There certainly are a lot of them posting here. My favorites are the ones who criticize the spelling, punctuation, and grammar of others, while blissfully ignorant of their own misspellings, ridiculous punctuation, and tortured syntax.

Senator Clinton would make an excellent Secretary of State, and it's a wise move by Obama, if he makes it. I'm not at all sure it's in her best interests, but it may be the best offer she'll ever get, so I would not presume to judge her choices (or Obama's). I assume they are both a heck of a lot smarter than me, or anyone else posting here.

Posted by: srcowell | November 17, 2008 10:17 PM

The reason there are so many Clintonites on Obama's team is because they did things right. Obama recognizes that the Clintons brought great people onboard, and hopes to tap the expertise of those individuals like Rahm Emmanuel - a masterful choice for C of S.

It amazes me that Obama's "supporters" are now doubting his judgment? He hasn't gotten it wrong yet and he's got a great transition team. You think you know more than he does?

Posted by: klgraham2 | November 17, 2008 10:12 PM

Considering the amount of hype in this paper and other media outlets, one begins to believe that the Clinton's are trying to purchase the job. Or, do we have a display of media bias.

In fairness, shouldn't the other contenders for the Secretary of State position get equal time and equal hype.

Methinks, the President-elect is not going to buy anything from the Clinton's.

Posted by: pbarnett52 | November 17, 2008 10:08 PM

Hasn't reality set in yet Obama cult members? The election is over, and Obama needs to govern which means he does not need you. The lot of you are just too extreme.

Obama is too smart to let the crazies run the country. He knows he has the tiger by the tail and will need all the best help to save the country from Bush's messes.

Posted by: wj_phillips | November 17, 2008 9:54 PM

Offering Billary Clinton the exalted position of Secretary of State is the first very serious misstep President-elect Obama has made in his nearly flawless campaign. Hillary is by no means a team player and her sexually depraved and very greedy husband is a positive enemy. They will spend her four years in office trying to sabotage President Obama's administration. Beware, the Clintons are vipers. The question is, who will have the courage to tell the President-elect that he must reverse this decision. There are plenty of better candidates out there, including former Secretary of State Colin Powell.

Posted by: dsrobins | November 17, 2008 9:48 PM

This negative obsession over the Clintons has always amazed me. Why do people hate them so? Bill and Hilary had a live-in special prosecutor, who was not independent at all but a legal opponent, heavily biased against them and his work showed it. What did Mr. Star find? Nothing. He was a waste of taxpayer money. Whereas Bush Jr. lied and lied again, and broke so many laws. Comparing the two is totally nonsensical.

Posted by: fbarrett7 | November 17, 2008 9:44 PM

Send Hillary to head up Health and Human Services, which will certainly have an elevated profile within the Obama administration. Then name Bill as a special envoy to the Middle East, to work with his old buddy Tony Blair and finish up the work he never got to finish in his own administration. They both get important roles so Obama has his team of rivals, but they are contained in well-defined roles. This would limit the free-lancing that both are inclined to do, with their strong personalities, and would create less drama.

Put Bill Richardson at State, who has much more gravitas than Hillary, and will follow directions from Obama.

Posted by: kmcnyasha | November 17, 2008 9:34 PM

OH, I LOVE this comment by thgirbla:

Since WHEN did the Clinton's have any concern whether what they are doing in Politics is legal or illegal??? BTW- has anyone seen Monica Lowensky recently???

Listen sweet thing, just because NO ONE in their right mind, wives included, would go near a republican in the way Lewinsky (note the spelling, honey pie, unless all your enlish lessons come from the alaskan non-elect VICE P(ohh, nasty nasty, do we have to say VICE?),did with the president, is no reason to put the clinton's down. I guess you prefer criminal presidential action, stealthy vice presidential action, war criminal action, subverting the constitution action, torture action, anti democratic process action, anti chrisian action - that's your American way. I like mine a bit more normal and less psychopathic, honey pie - the democratic and real Christian way, including the traditional presidential nooky (check out Eisenhower and his mistress if you want a dose of real reality, honey bunch.) Get a life. You want to know nothing, you do know nothing, so, by your terms, you're a success (big emphasis on the first syllable, cutie pie.) And, by your terms, I betcha Senator Stevens isn't a felon, either. If you hurry, you might learn something however: I hear they've got a seat free in the second grade of no democracy left behind.

true patriot, who can think

Posted by: pajesseson | November 17, 2008 9:29 PM

Yep... CHANGE we can believe in. What a joke.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | November 17, 2008 9:22 PM

...'said Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.), a close Clinton ally. "When I heard about it, I thought, what an inspired choice, what a bold move, and what an incredible, positive signal to the world."'

How is giving Sec of State to someone who supported invading Iraq a positive signal to the world?

I live out here in the world, and it's a slap in the face to everyone who hoped for something different from Obama.

I don't hate Hillary Clinton, and I know a lot of people supported the Iraq war (though a minority of Congressional Democrats voted for invasion).

But pick a Secretary of State who has shown the wisdom to avoid that disaster, who's shown a shred of respect for international law.

Give Hillary the health portfolio. Isn't that her great unfinished work? Isn't now the moment to finish it? Is she just going to walk away and admit Gingrich beat her?

History has proved two things about Hillary Clinton:

1. She was dead right about US healthcare.
2. She was dead wrong about US foreign policy.

Posted by: kenonwenu | November 17, 2008 9:20 PM

HRC could be Secy of State and she is well qualified for that role. She knows how to present this country well and she listens well.

My recommendation, however, would be for her to stay in the Senate. Let Obama keep Gates as Secy of Defense during the transition for a year or so, then bring in Clinton as Secy of Defense when Gates departs.

If Hillary wants to be president at some point, this would be a better stepping stone.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 17, 2008 9:17 PM

This sounds almost too good to be true, but I think it is. I do not believe Hilary Clinton will be appointed secretary of state. Obama has obviously and already chosen the better part of the old Clinton administration to suit his needs. Though Hilary Clinton is smart and experienced, she also carries too much dirty laundry. Dirty laundry Barak Ombama has to spend, for the next four years, cleaning.

Posted by: mikelliott | November 17, 2008 9:10 PM

Honest question and I don't have a dog in this fight.

If Mrs. Clinton is disqualified to be Secretary of State because of Mr Clinton's dealings , why, how, could she be qualified to be president of the United States. Under this litmus test you could not be, let's say, Secretary of Agriculture or Transporation because of a conflict of interest but could potentially be elected to the highest office in the land.

Something smells here. On the surface, it appears someone is trying to permanently disable the Clinton wing of the Democratic Party. What am I missing? If I was Mrs' Clinton I would beware.

Posted by: yarddawg50 | November 17, 2008 9:08 PM

===================================

glad you asked, seems she and Sox have hooked up for a road movie. (based on the life and times of Toonces the Cat).

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | November 17, 2008 9:04 PM

All of this is much ado about nothing! Hillary Clinton serves on the Foreign Relations Committee. She has about as high a security classification as you can get. To obtain that, he was vetted by the FBI, military intelligence agencies, and just about every other alphabet soup government intelligence agency. As for "Bill's money and where he gets it", he doesn't. It goes to his charities. All of it. He doesn't get one dime. All of his money comes from very publicly known and announced speak engagements and he get a lot - maybe too much, by some people's standards, but he gets it and he keeps it and it has made him quite wealthy. This whole thing is nothing more than a delussion, conspiracy theory on the part of Rush Limbaugh, Fox Noise and the other assorted nut cases of the far right. Anyone buying into any of this is an idiot. There may be some political reason why she may not be a good fit, but there is no reason otherwise why Hillary Clinton wouldn't make a great Secretary Of State. She was, I would remind all of you, only a very few votes short of being President Of The United States.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | November 17, 2008 9:00 PM

I had such high hopes for Obama, too.

I can see his administration will be *business as usual*.

Oh well. We can't expect any help from the white house for the next 4 years, either.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | November 17, 2008 8:56 PM

All of this is much ado about nothing! Hillary Clinton serves on he Foreign Relations Committee. She has about as high a security classification as you can get and, to obtain that, was vetted by the FBI, military intelligence agencies, and just about every other alphabet soup government intelligence agency. As for "Bill's money and where he gets it", he doesn't. It goes to his charities. He doesn't get one dime. All of his money comes from very publicly known and announced speak engagements. This whole thing is noting more than some delussion on the part of Rush Limbaugh, Fox Noise and the other assorted nut cases of the far right.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | November 17, 2008 8:54 PM

Perhaps all of the people who have nothing better to do but continue a fight with the Clintons should resolve their issues in therapy so that they can move on. We (Clinton supporters- I supported her for her ambitious progressive policies- but when she dropped out, I volunteere, led and organized for Barak in 2 states) moved on- if he wants to choose an immensely qualified and immensely talented woman to be SOS let him do so- none of the other people being considered have "cleaner" records. Really, learn something about policy and perhaps concentrate on pushing Barak to support a progressive policy that is more than rhetorical. He played the political game as much as she did- and was the better game player which is why he is the candidate (same amount of actual votes- and that is with him preventing revotes in Fl and MI). You Ahabs continuing to chase after the Moby-Clintons really need to find some new hobbies.

Leon

Posted by: nycLeon | November 17, 2008 8:49 PM

....with each passing day, this looks more and more like "Slick Willies 3rd Term as President, but as usual he will "DENY" having done "ANYTHING WRONG"!!!"

Posted by: thgirbla | November 17, 2008 8:48 PM

More sexist rants from the liberal male establishment. Todd Palin - Bill Clinton - who cares about the husband? Does anyone ever care about the wife? Why not start looking at women as competent contributors instead of leeches on their husbands.

Oops - sorry there - I forgot that this is the Washington Post which is steadfastly with the liberal male establishment. Never mind - keep on bashing women.

Posted by: mgd1 | November 17, 2008 8:46 PM

Posted by: thgirbla | November 17, 2008 8:45 PM

I agree with marcijipos politics to a great deal. myself. I would like to have the jobs back that slick willie gave away with nafta.

Posted by: Biasply | November 17, 2008 8:27 PM

so much for "change" looks like more of the same old clintie hacks coming back to get more loot. R.I.P. America

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 4:10 PM |

======================================

mariacopa.... I like your posts. Just having fun. Don't know how you got under whities skin... but you did.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | November 17, 2008 8:23 PM

There are pro's and con's concerning a Clinton appointment.

Posted by: mrshep | November 17, 2008 8:22 PM

it ok marcipajo we all get a little carried away. no one wants you to stop . you are fine. I needed correction today as well and it is ok.

Posted by: Biasply | November 17, 2008 8:19 PM

I don't mind if he has strong feeling about the conduct of politions , I just want all not to be after a race. the racially biased. I used to make tires while we still made Biasply tires this is why I use the name Biasply.

Posted by: Biasply | November 17, 2008 8:17 PM

maybe blogging is not so healthy for me. i think i will stop

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 8:15 PM

For anyone who actually read the posts and wandered across the "Where is your birth certificate Barack Obama" post - look here: http://fightthesmears.com/articles/5/birthcertificate

And I hope that maricopajoe's comments get removed because of abuse.

Posted by: ktell | November 17, 2008 8:14 PM

it's true. i am ill. still ill

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 8:12 PM

lets let him have a little room , this marcijabo has been corrected and he took the correction. lets give him a little room now to stay repentant.

Posted by: Biasply | November 17, 2008 8:12 PM

we did not elect him to please each and every whim of the people . he will do what is best for all. he will make a mistake but he is not our slave to do all at our beck and call either. so just hang tight. we are going to see what and how a wise man will do . he is not a Bush thank god.

Posted by: Biasply | November 17, 2008 8:09 PM

Are these threads not monitored? Can we expect a Post editor to crack down on maricopajoe?

What maricopajoe is doing may be beyond his control. I have a mentally ill brother-in-law, and the things that maricopajoe writes - and how he writes them - remind me a great deal of how my brother-in-law communicates when he is having a schizophrenic episode. I am not saying that he is ill, but his rantings suggest that he could be.

For the sake of the Post web site and for maricopajoe's own protection, his comments should come down and his account suspended.

Posted by: a_alex_bryant | November 17, 2008 8:08 PM

i hope so. for all our sakes

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 8:08 PM

Obama is his own man and perspective may not be from his perspective. have a little courage and give the man a chance to be president. he know what is going . stay the course and we will see good things.

Posted by: Biasply | November 17, 2008 8:06 PM

you're right, but kowtowing to the clintons smacks of bamboozlement not only of african americans but all americans who believe in him. obama was supposed to be about change and now he's bringing in the same old rotten corrupt criminals. i expected more from him

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 8:02 PM

looks like bama really was just a figurehead with the old dem hacks pulling his strings. bamboozled again blackies

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

---------------------
------------------------
Please do not refer to people as blackies, please. you lower the standard of your life and look simple with remarks like this. please be respectfull of all races. the character of a man is not judged by his skin color but rather by his words. attack those you want if they are in need of correction of any race and leave it at that.

Posted by: Biasply | November 17, 2008 7:56 PM

might as well appoint jeb bush. clintons and bushes are two sides to the same criminal coin. way to go tobi

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 7:54 PM

I hope Barack Obama has the fortitude and wisdom to ignore the biased critics of the Clintons, who have actually very little basis for their negative opinions other than parroting the right wing media. Ever since Bill Clinton was elected in 1992, they have been after him, and now, her. I quite agree with one of the posters who said they probably resent the fact that they are smart, and that they are a pair who has been able to achieve their goals. In D.C., that is remarkable and worthy of admiration.

Just a thought.....I understand that candidates for cabinet posts must be vetted thoroughly, and then be confimred by congress. But when you think of it, Hillary Clinton ran a campaign to be POTUS. If she won the election, there would have been no vetting or investiations of her or her family. Seems a little odd. Nevertheless, I hope they pass the test and we get to have a dynamic new Sec of State.

Posted by: jbleenyc | November 17, 2008 7:48 PM

If slick willie and slicker hillie wants to be philanthropic then they need to start right here in the Country they gave away.Remember Nafta slicks . telling everyone how philanthropic they are is aaagggugguuuuhhh.

Posted by: Biasply | November 17, 2008 7:47 PM

we thought obama had a pair hanging. we were wrong

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 7:47 PM

like many others, i supported obama because he saved us from yet anaother bushclintonbushclinton royal american dynasty. now he has kowtowed to them and shown his true colors. step n fetch for miss hillary

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 7:45 PM

thanks tobi

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 7:43 PM

does this mean bubba gets prima nocte rights for an aunt esther booty call? it's good to be king of all blacks

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 7:42 PM

moricopajoe, please google kkk and share your racist comments with other people who wallow at the same level of thinking your comments show of yourself.

Posted by: tniederberger | November 17, 2008 7:42 PM

the best thing this hil could do is Start a Campaign for the citizens of the usa to get all illegals the heii out and encourage all Citizens legaly living here to buy american. if they can do that they are better off than, if they bought the products from other countrys. we need all citizen who like it here to support the Good Ol' USA. also all citizens need to sign up for work programs if they are unemployed. especially today and this age to come. some of the people who are muchers could paint and clean and build the needs of citys and widows who are in need of assistance with repairs and care. mow lawn and pick up sticks and weed a garden and just in general be of help to the older men and women . the older men and women of all races . All Races. why not put all recipients of welfare to doing something , and the young women who have kids need a little free time to study daily for a degree in something and if nothing else get a ged and learn how to be independant , with partial help of the state. all Races of qualified men need to be mentors and big brothers to the little ones of ALL races. we need to be a living sacrifice to the young ones and to all ages and all races one to another. we need to have soup kitchens and comodities like we used to have and get the people to work and stop giveing food stamps and money thru the mail. we need to live within our means and this means doing something besides standing with our hands out. everyone would feel better and live happier if the used their talent.

Posted by: Biasply | November 17, 2008 7:39 PM

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 7:39 PM

Hillary will never obtain this post, because her husband is going to ruin her chances. Not only will Obama look good for making the offer, proof will be finally shown that she wouldn't have made it as VP either, due to her husband's enormous favors bank.

She'll be happy to remain a junior senator when this vetting ends.

Posted by: PAVoter | November 17, 2008 7:38 PM

OK Folks, it seems some of you need a history Lesson to comprehend Just HOW Bad;

This Is!

The Year, 2000;

Bill Clinton issues Waaayyyyy too many Pardons.

Several, involved convictions on Clients;

Of Hillary's Lawyer BROTHERS!

Spouse, meet Spouse-and Spouse's "Special Interests"! :-(

Posted by: SAINT---The | November 17, 2008 7:29 PM

hey clinties! get into a 12 step program to beat your addiction to the taste ofass

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 7:27 PM

"We need more credibilty with the office of the Secretary of State than that associated with Hillary Clinton. She is the spouse of a convicted perjuror"

Good Lord you people never fail to make me laugh. That's the best argument against her you could come up with? How about "her hair's too short" or "She wore white after labor day"?

Posted by: mikem1 | November 17, 2008 7:21 PM

this would not be good for hil she is not smart enought to be sucessful. Obama would have to have her step down. she would rather slick willie make money anyway.

Posted by: Biasply | November 17, 2008 7:20 PM

LOL! :-D

Barack wants the Secretary of State to be as qualified for State Relations, as he was for Executive duties!

Any loud BanGS;

and they Both will dive under Tables! ;~)

"I survived Bosnian Sniper Fire!" :-/

Posted by: SAINT---The | November 17, 2008 7:15 PM

I am coming to believe that the Clinton's are hated for no other reason but for being smart. It is like if you can not beat them, kill them. A lot has been said about their baggage but when the going gets tough for any politician in the dem party, they would call on the Clinton's to help them out. If 18 million vote in the dem primary is a baggage, I don't know of a politician that would not want to have that. As Americans we should appreciate talent when we see it. I am happy President Elect Obama saw the need to have people with proven records to help him run the country. In the past 20 years the only group with a proven record are the Clinton group. Let's encourage rather than vilify them.

Posted by: Ahoy44 | November 17, 2008 7:12 PM

As president, is Obama expected to drive Hillary to the Piggly Wiggly?

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 7:11 PM

Folks who question Obama's citizenship need to check their facts. Claims about his birth certificate have been refuted so many times it is getting boring. Oh -- and do you also claim that somebody got in a time machine to publish his birth announcement in the Honolulu Advertiser on Sunday, Aug. 13, 1961? Give it up conspiracy buffs.

Posted by: Eric-Centrist | November 17, 2008 7:08 PM

Posted by: Eric-Centrist | November 17, 2008 7:06 PM

tobi: Missy Hillary I'm just tryin to drive you to the piggly wiggly
Missy hillary: don't you sass me tobi or i'll break your other foot
tobi: yassum

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 6:59 PM

one of the key questions regarding Obama's bipartisanship and reaching-out ability is if he can keep Gates as the Secretary of Defense:

Posted by: MatthewAvitabile | November 17, 2008 6:58 PM

Tobi: Missy Hillary what job you want
Missy Hillary: Don't you sass me Tobi. I'll take what I want when I want it.
Massa Bubba: Don't make me bullwhip you tobi, and michelle will be stayin with me tonight
tobi: yassa massa bubba. yassum missy hillary

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 6:56 PM

We need more credibilty with the office of the Secretary of State than that associated with Hillary Clinton. She is the spouse of a convicted perjuror. How can we improve our relations abroad with her as the point man. Absurd. Just another political favor. How is that change?

Posted by: primegrop | November 17, 2008 6:55 PM

I don't understand why people are so upset over this pick. Obama will have to govern from the center. If the left-wingers in the Dems think they can ram through their own agenda then Obama will be a one-term President. He must carry the blue dog democrats in the house if he ever wants to pass meaningful legislation.

Posted by: mish2 | November 17, 2008 6:55 PM

Said it before POTENTIAL DISTRACTION

We have far bigger issues in this country that wondering what the Clintons' are doing. They will suck up the excitement and oxygen around every cabinet appointment and initiative ... when we need to get excited about Health Care and Education ... there comes the DISTRACTION. When we need to tackle the problems on energy and green technology ... there comes anothet DISTRACTION.

We voted for "good judgment" ... and I am praying that Obama is not having a "McCain choosing Sarah Palin" moment.

Posted by: amitchell13 | November 17, 2008 6:50 PM

president tobi be takin order from missy hillary from now on

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 6:50 PM

don't minimize Senator Clinton, you can still be president if the current president doesn't work out.

i've always been her supporter. the fluctuation of the public attitude shouldn't matter. being abroad, I get the news primarily from npr.

npr gave negative impressions on gore, kerry and clinton. which may have led to their defeat.

the senator can definitely execute. i wouldn't want joe the plumber do my taxes, i would want h & r block (guilty of pumping its mutual fund)

firm up u.s. get some backbone! elect leaders not neighbors.

Posted by: SHADuck | November 17, 2008 6:50 PM

hey blacks. looks like your boy can't make a move without his white masters. i predict a one-term wonder. hey be takin orders from miss hillary and massa bubba. i guess his name be tobi from now on

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 6:48 PM

Hillary was the first to raise questions about Barack's citizenship status.

She is trying to extend the appearance of supporting him while the fifteen different lawsuits is the various states and before SCOTUS run their course -- secretly hoping he will be found unqualified by the courts.

The basis for his being found unqualified are great - since preserving the rule of law is more important than any politicians brand of political extremism to usurp the Constitution is!

The name Obama will perpetually be synomymous with fraud, i.e., ObamaFraud.

Barack Obama, why do you spend millions for lawyers to conceal your birth certificate -- when any real American seeking the office of POTUS would be proud to proffer their original birth certificate for a demanding American public?

Barack Obama where is your birth certificate?

Posted by: Archarito | November 17, 2008 6:48 PM

So, did I understand this right here?....
George H W Bush = 41st President of US
George W Bush = 43d President
Both Republicans AND

Bill Clinton = 42d President of US
Barack Hussein Obama = 44th President and
Clinton II
Both Democrats

Or Is It As

Barack Hussein Obama = 1st Marxist/Socialist Democrat President of USSA

So did I get it right or not?

Posted by: Carleen19771 | November 17, 2008 6:47 PM

Clinton bashers need a brain transplant. Clearly they are not interested in uniting this country. I guess its impossible to expect anything more from these hate filled key board bullies.

Go Hillary and Bill, piss these people off everyday and you two will be back in the WH.

Posted by: billbridgesmaccom | November 17, 2008 6:42 PM

looks like bama is turning out to be a good ole fetch n step house boy with his nose firmly shived up missy's ass. if i was black, i'd be ashamed

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 6:39 PM

There seems to be no end to the Clinton's perpetual sense of entitlement to power in American life. If Obama caves in to this threat from the Hillary cabal of the Democratic Party all of his potential for greatness as a President as well as the restoration of America's status will go down the toilet. He will never survive his first term. No wonder most Republicans are openly rooting for this appointment to come through. At the end, Obama will have wasted the most Historic and hopeful electoral win in the Nation's history.

Posted by: lionelroger | November 17, 2008 6:31 PM

Obama's probable selection of Clinton as Secretary of State is disappointing - it looks like he is so entranced by Abe Lincoln's cabinet of rivals that he has lost his way on this one. Bill obviously has significant conflicts of interest and even if he puts a halt to some of his activities now we know from the campaign(and past history)- he cannot control himself. Put her in the cabinet but NOT in this job.

Posted by: mysterynmagic | November 17, 2008 6:30 PM

I guess Obama is really laying his presidency on this bet. I wouldn't touch it. This Liberal voted for Obama because he ran as the Anti-Clinton. If he's just going to unthinkingly turn his administration over to the Clintonistas - win or lose - he's going to run in 1012 without me.

And like John McCain, but unlike the Clintons, I'm a Vietnam era Veteran, too. I may have to find another band of brothers to support in the future.

Thanks much. HLB

Posted by: HLBeckPE | November 17, 2008 6:25 PM

Will you clintie buttlickers ever get tired of the taste of clintonassandcock?

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 6:15 PM

Why would James Carville bring Todd Palin into the conversation other than Carville is a world class jerk who would not last five minutes in his wife's former neighborhood of Chicago. The folks in South Chicago would listen to his big mouth and say "shut up goof"!

Posted by: mwhoke | November 17, 2008 6:11 PM

hmmm...

I wonder why writers will not explictly say that much of this SOS stuff is being circulated by Clinton people w/media connections.

haven't we been here before? w/Clinton for VP??

Posted by: mphillip3455 | November 17, 2008 6:08 PM

I wonder why obama is sucking up to the clintons?

Posted by: yokosuka1985 | November 17, 2008 6:02 PM

Peace in the middle east is the most important obstacle to safety of Americans, and is in our vital national security interests.

With Sen Clinton as SecState and Pres Clinton as Special Envoy to the Middle East, the Obama Administration would have the experience, talent, and tenacity to kick the butts req'd to get an agreement done.

And, yeah, I'd still want Sen McCain as SecDef... just in case.

Posted by: jrob822 | November 17, 2008 5:14 PM
======================================

certainly we can all agree on your 1rst point, but.... they both had eight (8) years as "deciders" yet did not get anything but eight (8) years of settlement building in the West Bank. I have not checked, but I bet AIPAC is "jiggy" with this, eight (8) more years of unrestricted building in the West Bank.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | November 17, 2008 5:42 PM

Society is like a bucket of water. All the scum floats to the top. I think Hilary is alright, I'm refering to all the comments.

Posted by: Membery | November 17, 2008 5:28 PM

And, yeah, I'd still want Sen McCain as SecDef... just in case.

Posted by: jrob822 | November 17, 2008 5:14 PM

She's truly disturbed! Rumplestiltskin!

Posted by: Its_the_Truth_Anyhow | November 17, 2008 5:13 PM

Kornblut's blurb is pure idiocy. HRC may not married to Todd Palin, but she's married to Bill Predator.
Why risk it?
O show us you're not another Othello.
Richardson or it's a bust.

Posted by: lockmallup | November 17, 2008 4:59 PM

How well the Obama presidency does will come down to the economy in 2012. The Secretary of State position will not be nearly as critical as the United States turns inwards to set its house in order.

However, it takes more than talent to make a winning team. Just look at Yankees post season play over the last few years. There must be a lesson there somewhere for the President-elect.

Posted by: OscarMayer2 | November 17, 2008 4:42 PM

thing is... you'd also get Hillaryland and "hard working white people", not to mention her own Hedge Funds and Wall Street connections.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | November 17, 2008 4:37 PM

But, seriously, what are her qualifications???? Can anyone cite any evidence that she has any insight into international politics or global strategy?

Posted by: Marks1153 | November 17, 2008 4:35 PM

Maybe Clinton is not as duplicitous as I think she is. Maybe she is not as self serving as I think she is. Hopefully Obama is as good a judge of character as I think he is. If all those things are true she will be an excellent choice for SoS.

If Obama is Lincoln, then Clinton is Solomon Chase. That relationship worked well for the country. It was not close but it was productive.

Posted by: Gator-ron | November 17, 2008 4:32 PM

The world is hoping for Mrs. Clinton to be appointed as Secretary of State. She is eminently qualified, obviously, and would be an important assett to President Obama in recapturing the admiration and respect for the USA throughout the world. American travellers would no longer have to claim Canadian citizenship when traveling abroad.
Here's hoping....

Posted by: asevink | November 17, 2008 4:32 PM

Let me see....HRC's qualifications for State are....what???? Well, of course,she did so incredible bravery under fire from Bosnian school children. And we can't forget her work on the Wal-Mart board. Or her vote for the Patriot Act and the Iraq War. Clear vision is a plus!!! If we can get her slotted in the State Department, perhaps Oprah would be a good fit at Justice!

Posted by: Marks1153 | November 17, 2008 4:31 PM

This Country is one hot mess...we need experienced great people to hit the ground running. New faces in Washington won't cut it. I don't care how much baggage she has. She's the one for the job. We need this government to work...and she will work tirelessly for us. Losers get over yourselves...let's try making a positive effort to put this country back together instead of complaining...you are part of the problem...never a solution voiced....

Posted by: nursehope | November 17, 2008 4:23 PM

I see the "Report Abuse" link. It's a shame that there is no "Report Stupid" one as well.

Posted by: junkcatchermail | November 17, 2008 4:22 PM

I believe that Senator Clinton would be an excellent Sec of State. She certainly has the intellectual capacity and exposure over the years.

I also believe that she would work well with a President Obama in bringing our reputation back up to where we would like it to be. Bill Clinton would, in my opinion, be an asset because of his friendships and I think he's smart enough to stay in the background when needed.

The only question I have is if Senator Clinton wants to stay in the Senate, or move into that office. Tangent issues can be addressed if she is happy for things to move forward.

Posted by: KHMJr | November 17, 2008 4:15 PM

Poor Obama... buffeted by the political hacks that constitute Hillaryland. Obviously.... they will force this to their own demise, as Rodham Clinton is up to her eyeballs in Wall Street and Hedge Funds, easy enough to blame it on Mr. Clinton.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | November 17, 2008 4:14 PM

Posted by: maricopajoe | November 17, 2008 4:10 PM

If Senator Clinton would just divorce that loser, who has cost her so much already, that would probably do the trick.

Posted by: nicekid | November 17, 2008 4:08 PM