A McCain Supporter in a Sea of Obama Partisans

By Krissah Williams Thompson
RALEIGH, N.C. -- Meredith Schneider had enough of it today. All the ribbing from her Obama-loving co-workers was driving the 24-year-old public relations professional up the wall. So she skipped lunch and drove in the rain to the North Carolina GOP headquarters to pick up a little ammunition of her own.

"When I got into the office today, I noticed my McCain stickers were ruined," she said. "I'm so frustrated."

She had no McCain paraphernalia, only her Republican-red high heel shoes, and had come to the Republican Party office for replacements. She returned to work with a couple McCain-Palin signs and four bumper stickers that she planned to tack onto her cubicle.

"I think this campaign has brought out a lot of uninformed voters," she said. "I think a lot of people are voting against Bush because they don't like the way things are, but Obama is not the answer. After he's in office they'll feel about him like they do about Bush. I feel really emotionally invested. I wish I could have volunteered more."

She's tried to convince undecided voters, family members and anyone who will listen, but the only convert in her family is her 12-year-old sister. Her parents are voting for Obama.

"I guess I'll have to sit at home and watch it alone -- no one else is on my side," she said. "I wish my sister was here."

By Web Politics Editor  |  November 4, 2008; 2:32 PM ET
Categories:  Battlegrounds , The Voters
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CA: Prop. 8 Weighs on Voters
Next: MA: Obama Beats Kerry? Maybe in Turnout.

Comments

Do not feel surprised!

Socialists FEED on the NEED of the Insecure to "Group up"!

Capitalists, and Capitalism, by the very nature of the game-Promotes Individual accomplishments!

Cheer Up Though!

You are quite right about the Messiah, soon to be getting Treated like Kofi Annan!

Or, as I still remember that Former Champion of Africans "Coffee Anal"!

Yep, the Novelty will wear out FAST!

LOL! Next big deal-A "Chinese" Pwesident!

Posted by: SAINT---The | November 4, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Obama's thuggish supporters, there are too many examples to list, but reviewing the examples here - especially the first one and those at DailyKos - should be instructive:

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | November 4, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Nice job, Meredith. I applaud you enthusiasm, misguided as it may be. - Your Loving Father, Mrfixitri

Posted by: mrfixitri | November 4, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

That's nice, Krissah. Now, why is this a news story in the Washington Post? Are you mocking this poor, deluded girl? She's somebody's daughter, you know.

Posted by: zukermand | November 4, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Meredith,

I am sorry, but not too sorry, to hear that your McCain stickers were 'ruined. On another note, how dare you suggest that "...this campaign has brought out a lot of uninformed voters." What makes you so informed? What makes your vote any more important than you co-workers' votes? And what do you know about life at 24 anyway?
Wake up! We are all entitled to our vote, whether we are informed or not. EOM.

Posted by: bikerk | November 4, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Cheer up, Meredith. I voted for Obama. My White, Christian, well educated, and rich Republican friends voted for Obama (because they were so afraid of Gov Sarah Palin). But my less educated, Buddhist sisters voted for McCain (Vietnamese people think that they "kinda" know McCain) (as Buddhists, my sisters should never vote for moose-killing Palin)! I teased my sisters for their vote preference but I still love them dearly. Luckily we all live in the blue state of CA, so their McCain votes won't make a difference. If they live in a swing state, I'll give them hell. Just kidding. Hopefully Obama can win and you will find yourself better off a few years down the road. With love.

Posted by: Sonia_M | November 4, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Cheer up, Meredith. My mom and sister are voting McCain and I don't think less of them. Everyone is entitled to their preference. If you enjoy talking politics then have fun with it, I argue with my mom about it all the time and we enjoy it.

But don't take it personally when people don't agree. They obviously shouldn't mess with your cubicle - that's a nono - but imagine someone else thinking they need to convince you to change your vote and imagine how you would react. It can get messy, especially with family and friends.

Posted by: grimmix | November 4, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"Thuggish supporters?" Oh geez...

Posted by: exasperated4 | November 4, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

It is awesome that some hard core republicans are tired of... REPUBLICANS!!!

Posted by: macebruce | November 4, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

So Meredith thinks everyone hates Bush but should keep his party in the White House?

That makes ZERO sense. McCain might not be bad, but when people are sick of Bush for 8 years, they will go the other way. Obama winning is more of a Bush defeat then a McCain defeat. And if you voted for Bush in 00, and 04, then you supported this GOP loss in 08.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 4, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

A big cup of boo hoo hoo for Ms. Schneider and her errant sister. Maybe she should use her alone time to consider why it is she's the only one who sees it as she does. Is she somehow 'special'? Or simply wrong?

Posted by: chadwboyer | November 4, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Was some early election results leaked accidently by diebold?

Did Huckabee vote for Obama?

Posted by: pastor123 | November 4, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Headline: the WaPo wants McCain supporters to just give up and be assimilated into the Borg.

The WaPo is also cool with someone's signs being "ruined" by BHO's thuggish supporters.

If anyone else would like to get informed, here are twenty non-partisan reasons to oppose The One:

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | November 4, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I feel the way she does, only it's because I'm an Obama supporter in Oklahoma, LOL!

Posted by: exasperated4 | November 4, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I feel her pain. I was in her shoes in 1968, 1972, 1980, 1984 and the last long 8 years. She is only 24. She will have some good times in the future, darn it!!

YES WE CAN!!

Posted by: adhardwick | November 4, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Headline: Nobody Agrees With McCain Supporter.

Pedal to the metal, Obama voters!

Posted by: cao091402 | November 4, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse