Biden Opens Up to Reporters for the First Time in a Month

Democratic vice presidential candidate Sen. Joe Biden speaks during a rally at Longview Community College in Lee's Summit, Mo., Nov. 3, 2008. (Orlin Wagner/Associated Press)

By Perry Bacon Jr.
ZANESVILLE, Ohio -- Despite what you may have read of his reputation for verbal missteps, Sen. Joe Biden said, "I don't see it."

"I never make any big, big gaffes," he said, responding to a reporter who asked if he was "relieved" he had not made any "big, big gaffes" during the campaign.

"You guys love saying that about me, but I tell you what, just look at the numbers," he said aboard his campaign plane. "I don't have any problem with what I've said, nothing I've said I would back off of ... I hope and I think I've been some value added. We'll see what happens."

Biden has, of course, been mocked for a variety of comments, mostly notably when he implied President Franklin Roosevelt went on television to comfort Americans after the stock market crash of 1929. Herbert Hoover was president then, and television was not yet in American homes. But poll numbers show a majority of Americans thought Biden won his debate against Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and is more qualified for the job of vice president.

Exuding confidence, the vice-presidential candidate, his jacket doffed, chatted with reporters on a range of subjects for more than 20 minutes on his way from Kansas City here, the first time he has talked to press on his plane for more than month. He shot down a query about unnamed aides to Sen. John McCain casting Palin as a "whack job" and "diva," saying, "I'm not going to comment."

"I feel good, but I never feel good until it's over," he told more the reporters standing in the aisle in the back of the plane. "When it's over, I'll feel really good."

Biden spoke in detail about McCain. He again expressed his disappointment with his Senate colleague's campaign tactics, but said he believed Democrats were wrong to say McCain had "changed" on key issues.

"John is a genuine economic conservative ... John has never been a moderate," Biden said. "I've known John McCain for 34 years. We've had a thousand discussions, a thousand arguments. The part of John that I think has been totally true to himself is about what he's saying about taxes. I think he's dead wrong."

Asked about the ticket's chances in various states, Biden said, "This is an incredible year, who knows."

"If I had to, I would bet you on Pennsylvania. I don't want to bet you on Ohio or Missouri," Biden said. "Indiana -- I wouldn't want to bet you on there either. I mean, I think we can win all three. Am I ready to bet my daughter's graduate school tuition on it? Nope."

Ending his remarks, he declared, "I'm superstitious and I'm getting the hell out here."

He then headed back to the front section of the plane.

By Web Politics Editor  |  November 3, 2008; 8:59 PM ET
Categories:  Joe Biden
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In Chicago, Laying Ground Work for a Potential Celebration
Next: For Both Candidates, Life Lessons From High School Sports

Comments

Huckabee voted for Obama?

Report of some states that are already decided because of early voting.

Posted by: pastor123 | November 4, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

The majority of the American people never heard of the Biden gaffe's because the media downplayed them.

It has been reported that Biden made seven major errors in his debate with Sarah Palin but the media declared him the victor and failed to point out his mistakes.

The media decided that Obama should be President back in the winter and they have done every thing possible to push his candidacy on the American people.

Shame on them!

Posted by: mwhoke | November 4, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Obama, from his memoir, "Dreams From My Father": "To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully ..... The Marxist professors (who teach the ideals of Karl Marx, writer of the Communist Manifesto) and structural feminists."

Posted by: American_Citizen | November 3, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

From the Republican songbook:

Tin soldiers and Nixon commin
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the drummin
Four dead in Ohio.........

Those kids died for nothing ...

as did the 58,000+ names on the black wall where we "honor" them....

Most died when Dick was gonna "bring the troops home with honor"

Sound familiar?

Not this time. Not this year.

Obama! 08!

See you on Wednesday........:-)

Counseling will be available.......

Posted by: toritto | November 3, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Can we please correct the spelling on "whack job"? It's "wack job," as in "wacky." "Whack job" is what happens in my neck of the woods, Brooklyn, when someone don't make their payments on time. Capece?

To reiterate: "Wack job," without the H. Get it right, people.

Go Obama.

Posted by: andrewsalomon | November 3, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Samson151:

Ron Paul was the only candidate who let it all hang out. He spoke his mind and told the truth. Obama speaking to the choir takes zero cajones. Ron Paul stood up to everyone at the debates he was allowed to participate in. I do believe that Obama will win on Tuesday, but I also believe that he will be in over his head on day one. The economy will still be shrinking, we will still be involved in Iraq and Afghanistan. Iran and Korea will challenge his resolve and backbone. And God help us if we think that the Democratic goldenboy will do anything other than be a prop for his Party. Yes, we will get the government we deserve - full of propaganda and unkept promises and taxes.

Posted by: daavina | November 3, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

TIN SOLDIER OBAMA'S COMING- COAL PLANTS ARE ON THEIR OWN- BANKRUPT- YOU CAN HEAR THE DRUMMING- ALL DEAD IN O-HI-O!!!

(WATCH McCAIN TAKE THE COAL STATES)

Posted by: thecannula | November 3, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

God bless Joe if that's what he truly believes. But there is some video/press proof out there...

Posted by: parkerfl1 | November 3, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

BUT WILL THE ELECTION EVEN MATTER? Not as long as government-supported "vigilante injustice" squads are "gang stalking" American citizens, making a mockery of the rule of law:

OR members.nowpublic.com/scrivener

Posted by: scrivener50 | November 3, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Want to know more about election fraud? Visit rovecybergate.com.

Posted by: rooster54 | November 3, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thecannula | November 3, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

The Biden choice worked out pretty well.

All the way back to the primaries, I was struck by how strong that Democratic field was. OK, Dennis Kucinich is a little radical for a national race, but the rest of the candidates were exceptional. Hillary had the second weakest resume of the bunch, but she's so obviously capable that it never became an issue. The big change was Obama, of course -- from passionate convention firebrand to full-fledged stateman -- the sort of guy I would be proud to call my President.

Looks like I'll get the chance.

The GOP field, meanwhile, was the weakest in years. Imagine if Mitt Romney, the venture capitalist's venture capitalist, had been the nominee -- what a field day Keith Olberman would have with that. And any campaign that includes Duncan Hunter, Ron Paul, and Tom Tancredo has got to offer a prize for Best Crank. McCain was only reasonable choice -- if he'd stayed John McCain, instead of turning into Chucky from the Child's Play horror movies.

And Sarah Palin -- wow, a choice for the ages. She may have finished second for Miss Alaska, but she wins Miss Controversial hands down.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 3, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Message from The National Republican Trust PAC
From Scott Wheeler

Dear Supporter:

The latest battleground poll from Fox News is out Monday afternoon for the key battleground states and it shows McCain is leading in Florida and North Carolina, tied in Ohio and Missouri and behind just a little in Colorado and Virginia. This is so close — McCain can win!

We here at the National Republican Trust PAC (GOPtrust.com) are targeting these battleground states for a McCain win.

As you can tell from the numbers, the election is in critical mode and any one of these state may make the difference in defeating Barack Obama.
*********************************
Please Go Vote Tomorrow!

Let's Prove Jack Cafferty and Keith Olberman Can't Intimidate Us!

McCain/Palin 2008

Posted by: thecannula | November 3, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Message from The National Republican Trust PAC
From Scott Wheeler

Dear Supporter:

*********************************
Please Go Vote Tomorrow!

Let's Prove Jack Cafferty and Keith Olberman Can't Intimidate Us!

McCain/Palin 2008

Posted by: thecannula | November 3, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Message from The National Republican Trust PAC
From Scott Wheeler

Dear Supporter:

*********************************
Please Go Vote Tomorrow!

Let's Prove Jack Cafferty and Keith Olberman Can't Intimidate Us!

McCain/Palin 2008

Posted by: thecannula | November 3, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Message from The National Republican Trust PAC
From Scott Wheeler

Dear Supporter:

*********************************
Please Go Vote Tomorrow!

Let's Prove Jack Cafferty and Keith Olberman Can't Intimidate Us!

McCain/Palin 2008