'Everything is Different'

By Peter Slevin
CHICAGO -- Mykela Loury wept.

The Chicago doctor stood alone on a sidewalk far from the cheering throngs in Grant Park. She put her hand to her mouth, then both hands to her temples, her mouth open in a silent gasp.

"I'm thinking justice, finally. Fairness, finally," said Loury, an African American physician. "Oh, gosh."

The tears came again.

"Oh, Jesus."

The news of Barack Obama's victory traveled as fast as a shout through the Chicago night. When it came, suddenly and with certainty, car horns blared and supporters shouted and laughed and screamed and hugged one another and laughed some more.

"He won! He won!"

"Oh, my god!

"Did he win? He won!"

Ephraim Martin hurried toward the entrance to the celebration, hoping to catch Obama's speech. Born in Jamaica, he has spent the last 28 years in Chicago, where he has recently watched as America's image abroad has plunged.

"This is the best thing that has happened to us as a nation, as a people," Martin said. "Now there's hope. There's hope."

Obama's election, and the speech that followed, fired the spirit of his followers, some of whom had greeted his candidacy with a measure of skepticism. Others simply had not dared to let themselves fully believe he could win, afraid of disappointment.

Then it happened.

"This shows America has become her true self. It's more of a perfect union," said Michael Smith, a Chicago carpenter's steward who volunteered for Obama in Iowa. "His speech lets us know that it's not just him. It all comes down to those three words: Yes we can."

Tracy Boykin had longed for the news, but she could hardly believe it.

"We're finally free," said Boykin, walking with her friend Caron Warnsby as the celebrations began. "I'm a doctor and I don't have to walk in anymore and be a black doctor. She's not the black surgeon anymore. She's the surgeon. Everything is different."

By Web Politics Editor  |  November 5, 2008; 1:39 AM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chicago Gets the Celebratory Party Started
Next: In City of Brotherly Love, Festive Obama Backers Take to the Streets

Comments

I'M THE FIRST NUT (Ode to Bush)
(I'm a Nut. Leroy Pullins)
WilliamBanzai7

Sing Along With the Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqsauoDmgDo

Beedle-dee-bah, beedle-dee-bah, beedle-dee-ree-pa-Bush..

[Chorus]
I'm nut, I'm a nut
My Presidential legacy don't amount to much, whoopa-whoopa-whoopa-whoopa
The head on my shoulders is sorta loose
And I ain't got the sense God gave a moose
Lord, I ain't crazy, but ...I'm the First Nut

Is is wetter under in the Potomac, if you're in it when it rains?
Is it shorter to Camp David, than it is by a plane?
Between myself and I, I wonder who's the dumber
Is it hotter down in Crawford, than it is in the summer?

[Chorus]

I drove my Cadillac to Wall Street to satisfy my lust
Wheelin', dealin', left ol' Wall Street on a Greyhound bus
I should'nt have set the markets on fire while I was there
But remember only forest fires prevent Bears

[Chorus]

The poverty war was almost over, until I began to fight
If it took a dime to go 'round the world
I'd cut taxes out of sight
I don't mind to take the Bankers out
If they don't mind to go Dutch
Makes me feel like 700 Billion Bailout Dollars
And I bet the Treasury ain't worth half that much

[Chorus]

Oh, crazy man! I'm a nut!
Oh, Lordy, Lordy Lordy, Lordy
I'm crazy, I'm the First Nut!

Posted by: williambanzai7 | November 5, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Good on ya Barack! Well done America!
Oh by the way Mr President Elect. If you get any spare time please give Kevin Rudd here in Australia an occasional call. He needs all the bloody help he can get.

Posted by: Madgreen | November 5, 2008 3:27 AM | Report abuse

Like I said in previous posts. Grandma was watching you Mr. President and beside you all the way. Your god took Grandma,but any god or belief, man or women, new you are the hope. And may I say, Thank you, to all the true American women. Knew you would not let down your Country. Now is the time to be what you were years ago. I remember being an elder. May your god Bless you, and he did.

Posted by: justada56 | November 5, 2008 2:46 AM | Report abuse

How sweet it is! A complete repudiation of 25 years of Republican ideology and divisive and unproductive politics.

At last, we have our country back!

Posted by: thebobbob | November 5, 2008 2:30 AM | Report abuse

America should be very cautious to not congratulate herself too quickly nor with smug arrogance.

Our election of President Obama is not a solution, is not a step forward, is not change. This election is nothing more than appointing a new name to our American president. No matter the candidate, we have, so far, only changed the name of our president.

President Obama, from this day forward, is now responsible to honor his promises to America, is accountable to our peoples and to our world. Eloquent rhetoric will solve no problem, will not produce betterment for our nation nor our world. We Americans are responsible to lend our support to President Obama while he keeps his word. We Americans are also responsible to impeach President Obama should he violate our trust. We Americans are both responsible for and accountable for our electing Barack Obama as our president. Should he keep his word, should he prove his worth, we Americans can take pride in our choice. Should he not keep his word, should he not prove his worth, we Americans can take pride in impeaching him.

Our America is in dire straights. Our world is in dire straights. We Americans failed our country and failed our world by sitting idle while President Bush abused every founding principle of our country, while offending the Spirit of America. We Americans are accountable for George Bush and we are accountable for Barack Obama. This time, my personal expectation is Americans will stand up and accept full responsibility. This is a responsibility to support our newly elected president, and is a responsibility to impeach and remove our newly elected president should he fail us. My personal expectation is Americans will not sit idle, will not simply hope rather will stand up and work to solve our problems.

This time, if our president proves to be a false promise, I will demand Americans stand up, impeach him then remove him from office rather than sit idle while he destroys our America. Never again should we allow a George Bush to disgrace our America, to shame our America.

President Obama, I give you my word I will work hard, shoulder-to-shoulder with you, and President Obama I give you my word if you fail America I will do all within my power to remove you from office and cast you to the wayside.

My adamant expectation is all Americans will adopt my firm but fair attitude. If not, I will be quick to cast you to the wayside and quick to constantly remind you of your being accountable.

Mark my words Americans, I will hold you accountable.

Okpulot Taha