Greg Craig Selected as White House Counsel

By Michael D. Shear and Anne E. Kornblut
President-elect Barack Obama has chosen Washington lawyer Gregory B. Craig, who served as President Bill Clinton's lead attorney during the 1998 impeachment proceedings, to be his White House counsel, according to an individual involved with the transition.

Craig has been a longtime adviser to former president Clinton and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, but became a close adviser to Obama during the campaign, reportedly serving as the stand-in for Sen. John McCain during debate preparations.

Transition officials declined to comment, and Craig did not return calls left on his machine.

Craig was a foreign policy adviser to Sen. Edward M. Kennedy and Secretary of State Madeleine Albright. He has defended high-profile clients, including John Hinckley Jr., who attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan, and Kennedy nephew William Kennedy Smith, who was accused of rape.

As White House counsel, Craig will be responsible for steering the new president through a series of legal thickets that have become controversial during the past eight years, including torture policy and the legal disposition of prisoners at Guantanamo.

By Web Politics Editor  |  November 16, 2008; 11:59 AM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Cast of Characters
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday Morning Reading
Next: McCain and Clinton, Still on the Obama Agenda

Comments

Craig is excellent news! See the $100million civil rights lawsuit at http://www.emccray.com. I am an insider. I am aware that one or more class action lawsuits seeking more than one trillion dollars in damages are being prepared for the Obama legal team. It looks like revenge is on the way. Certain Republicans had been, I think I can say, actively stonewalling the investigation and or obstructing justice. One or more members of the Obama team is/are fully aware of the litigation. The website received over 30K hits the day after McCain lost. This suggests to me that a lot of Republican prosecutors and judges are shaking in their boots. My career background is information and raw data analysis. I have never been wrong since the last time I was wrong. For more information and updates, send me an email at: emanuel.mccray@gmail.com. All inquiries are kept strictly confidential. You have my word. Love first. Hate never.

Posted by: emanuelmccray | November 20, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I am guessing that most you losers are not political science majors or even slightly educated but all you have to do is look at all of the scumbags that this guy has represented in the past. That doesn't sound like positive change

Posted by: jbrook1 | November 19, 2008 3:58 AM | Report abuse

Figures, needs a good lawyer by and for Clintons.

Lawyer to fight birth certificate and if he loses. Clinton aids are in place.

dido

Posted by: charleydan | November 17, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

JohnQuimby wrote:

See, the thing is,
The election is over.
The losers go home.
That's change.
Believe it.

Clinton II?
Don't make me laugh.

**************

I totally agree!

Politicians are like diapers, they need changing regularly, and, for the exact same reason!

Posted by: icurhuman2 | November 17, 2008 1:39 AM | Report abuse

Check this one out for a giggle:

"EXCUSE ME, ICUR-YOU JUST PROVED MY POINT-HA HA HA!

IN FACT, YOU ARE INDEED AN A NUMBER ONE A-HOLE MISOGNYIST FIRST CLASS, PRIME CUT! THERE, IS THAT BETTER??"

First, without pointing out how I PROVED YOUR POINT, the HA HA HA just looks like a very loud nervous laugh. Irrelevant!

And m-i-s-o-g-y-n-i-s-t is how you spell misogynist. A PRIME CUT suggests that you really love a steak, which means you probably really are a fat-A!

And "THERE, IS THAT BETTER??" sounds even more pathetic than your stupid point-of-view!!! NYA NYA NYA NYA NYA NYA - which is just about as childish...

You have now been relegated to irrelevancy and further comments will be ignored... I've got better things to discuss, like the topic of this forum for instance...Duh!

Posted by: icurhuman2 | November 17, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

See, the thing is,
The election is over.
The losers go home.
That's change.
Believe it.

Clinton II?
Don't make me laugh.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | November 17, 2008 12:52 AM | Report abuse

"As White House counsel, Craig will be responsible for steering the new president through a series of legal thickets that have BECOME CONTROVERSIAL during the past eight years, including torture policy and the legal disposition of prisoners at Guantanamo."

"become controversial" ???

That would be an understatement! The suspension of habeas corpus has left America outside of universal law and a pariah as far as international jurists are concerned. The official acceptance of torture is even worse as it puts America in the same group as its enemies and causes the rest of the world to consider which is the lesser of the two evils; a small and dangerous group of religious nuts or a deadly superpower that will do anything to maintain its security unto kidnapping, torture, and ill-conceived and ill-fated invasions of weaker nations.

If this issue isn't dealt with quickly after inauguration there will be a world-relations disaster. And, lets face it, without world sympathy right now America will not avoid collapse. It's past time to clean up your act America!

Posted by: icurhuman2 | November 17, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

EXCUSE ME, ICUR-YOU JUST PROVED MY POINT-HA HA HA!

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | November 17, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

MR. CRAIG:

THE CIVIL RIGHTS DIVISION OF D.O.J. MUST PROBE "EXTRAJUDICIAL TARGETING" -- GOVT-FUNDED VOLUNTEER GROUPS USED AS A FRONT FOR "ORGANIZED GANG STALKING" AND PHYSICAL TORTURE OF AMERICAN CITIZENS

Posted by: scrivener50 | November 17, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

If you want to check out the lamest flame I've seen in a long time check this out:

"psssst! ICOR, YOUR UGLY SEXIST/MISOGYNIST SELF IS SHOWING! KEEP IT HIDDEN, OR YOU'LL BE CAUGHT OUT FOR THE NASTY LITTLE LEFT-WING A-HOLE WINGNUT THAT YOU REALLY ARE!"

I think this person meant ICUR and he/she/it is suggesting that because I called Sarah Palin a sorry excuse for a woman that I am somehow a misogynist! HA HA HA! Go to empowHer.com and type in my online name in the search engine you will find there!
Just because I think that Sarah (excuse me while I puke) Palin is a waste of space and a poor example of womanhood does NOT MEAN I don't appreciate women!

And I am NOT a left-wing or right-wing anything! I have some extremely conservative views and some very liberal views - it depends entirely on the subject. Morons who tag themselves as right or left are lacking in independent thought and make good little Nazis and not very good innovators, creators of original thought or contributing members of society!

"WINGNUT" lost me because I'm not exactly sure what this insult implies. However, I do recognise "A-HOLE" and I can tell you were you to say that to my face you'd be flat on your A-HOLE in a half a second flat! Just because my brain is considerably larger doesn't mean I couldn't kick your fat-A up and down the street, my old son!

YOU HAVE BEEN PROPERLY FLAMED!

Posted by: icurhuman2 | November 17, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Someone else wrote:

"BUT, I STILL THINK OBAMA IS ONE OF THESE INDIVIDUALS WHO IS REMARKABLY UNENGAGED-THIS WILL BECOME MORE APPARENT IN THE MONTHS AND YEARS TO COME-MARK MY WORDS."

Considering where Obama came from and the community work he did I would say "ONE OF THESE INDIVIDUALS WHO IS REMARKABLY UNENGAGED" is a bit over the top - especially when you consider the "remarkably engaged" people the conservatives manage to dig up - like oil heirs and multi-millionaires who can't even keep tabs on the number of homes they own! lol!!!

And "MARK MY WORDS." would be hard not to do as this person seems to have his caps-lock on - is there a reason for that or did this person just not notice it?

Posted by: icurhuman2 | November 16, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

"My...those post-election grapes sure are sour, huh. C'mon you Obama bashers, how about at least giving our new President a chance before passing judgement on him. It just reflects so poorly on you!"

--------
Ummmm...the current president got no honeymoon from anyone on the left, and what you think is mean here is pretty pale in comparison to what has been heaped on Bush in comments to almost every political article in the Post. It seems to me perfectly legitimate to point out that the recent appointments, and the rumored possibilities for Secretary of State, do not represent the break from the past which was promised during the election, but simply a change back to the style of governing seen in the Clinton administration. Since the Democrats voted against the latter, it would seem strange for the man who beat Clinton to be leaning toward it.

If arguments like this seem unfair, what would you suggest instead? Remember, that business about him being "The One" was a joke--he's not really the Messiah, and criticism of him is not actually heresy.

Posted by: CTullius | November 16, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | November 16, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

kec wrote:

"For the love of pete folks - Obama rooked ya'll in -- he had to destroy Hillary because it was his intention to imitate the CLinton Presidency. The hypocrasy is stunning."

I AGREE WITH YOU, KEC, I DO BELIEVE IT WAS OBAMA'S INTENTION TO IMITATE THE CLINTON PRESIDENCY, BECAUSE, WHAT ELSE WAS HE GOING TO MODEL, HUH? THE CLINTON PRESIDENCY WORKED, AND VERY VERY WELL-EVERYONE WAS BETTER OFF UNDER CLINTON-THE ONLY PRESIDENT TO LEAVE A BILLION PLUS SURPLUS IN THE TREASURY-HAVING NEVER BEEN AN EXECUTIVE OR BUSINESS OWNER, HE HAS NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS THIS CALLED THE PRESIDENCY, SO HE TURNS TO THE CLINTONS-I SUSPECT THAT PRES. BILL CLINTON WILL BE SOMEONE OBAMA WILL CALL ON FREQUENTLY AS SENIOR ADVISOR-WHICH WOULD SHOW HE HAS SOME SENSE.

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | November 16, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Some dimwit posted this:

"For the love of pete folks - Obama rooked ya'll in -- he had to destroy Hillary because it was his intention to imitate the CLinton Presidency. The hypocrasy is stunning"

Who the hell is pete? And what does "rooked y'all in" mean? Is that some kind of hick-slang I've never heard before, or what? And, I wasn't aware that Hillary had been destroyed - did I miss a news report somewhere? It's easy to tell from the incorrect spelling of hypocrisy that this person not only can't spell but is so stupid he can't set up a spell-checker to make sure he doesn't sound like a total idiot!

From the moronic garbage coming out the conservatives in this forum I can see how America got so screwed up it's now on an international I.V. feed with a foot in the grave and the other on a banana skin.

Imagine how wonderful the world would be if Sarah Palin became president next time around? It'd satisfy these die-hard Bush supporters, but, I'm pretty sure they'd be changing their tune once the lights went out for good, and you can bet that'd be on the cards with that brainless excuse for a woman in charge.

Posted by: icurhuman2 | November 16, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

oh my - and the reason Obamanauts didn't want Hillary elected was what?? that she might be too much like her husband's presidency???

Posted by: kec132 | November 16, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather see Obama pick a Clinton retread than a Bush reject any day.

Posted by: AverageJane | November 16, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me that Jordy is one of the few adults posting here. He, like myself, is appalled by the drivel and bile (usually posted in all caps, perhaps to distract from the lack of substance) that passes for discussion.

Well done, Jordy. Nothing wrong with pointing out poor behavior. Wish more people did it.

Posted by: lde2c | November 16, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I'll tell you what I find most admirable about Greg Craig (and he's no fat ass, either!) is that he represented Elian Gonzales' father in that terrible tug of war that brought Elian up from Miami and then here to DC a few blocks from where I live-the most beautiful moment, from one of the best Attorney Generals ever in the history of the US: BIG JANET RENO-IT WOULD BE SO NICE IF SHE COULD COME BACK TO DC AND HOST A "DANCE PARTY" AND KICK SOME REAL ASS IN THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT-BOY I'D LOVE THAT-HER ENTIRE ADMINISTRATION WAS ONE OF THE MOST ETHICAL, AND FILLED WITH INTEGRITY-SHE WAS AND IS THE BEST!

When AG Reno, against tremendous opposition from those freaking insane mafia Cuban-Americans insisted on reuniting little Elian with his father, and Greg Craig was there, when his father called out his name-that was too too beautiful-and so I'm VERY HAPPY ABOUT GREG CRAIG AS WH COUNSEL-NOW, BRING BACK BIG JANET!

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | November 16, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Change? This is Act Two of the Clinton administration.

Posted by: mhr614 | November 16, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jordy1
---

Please forgive us, O Great One.

Posted by: omega_man | November 16, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

We did very well under Clinton so for Obama to choose the best and brightest from the Clinton Administration is using a proven formula unlike the Bush formula of recruiting the greediest, most corrupt and inept going deeper into the barrel for the most rotten of the apples.

Posted by: bfjackjernigan | November 16, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

TELL ME, WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD APPOINT A FAT ASS LOSER LIKE BILL RICHARDSON AS SEC. OF STATE? I MEAN, SERIOUSLY, FOLKS! HE IS ONE FAT ASS, THE WORLD WOULD LIKE, GAG BEFORE THEY'D LISTEN TO HIS TRAITOROUS, NO-GOOD SELF-AND APPARENTLY, HE'S ONE OF THOSE WHO JUST HAS TO EXAGGERATE HIS RESUME: THIS FROM WIKIPEDIA:

Richardson's original biographies stated that he had been drafted by the Kansas City Athletics and Los Angeles Dodgers to play professional baseball, but a 2005 Albuquerque Journal investigation revealed that he never was on any official draft. Richardson acknowledged the error which he claimed was unintentional, saying that he had been scouted by several teams and told that he "would or could" be drafted, but was mistaken in saying that he was actually drafted.[8]

BILL RICHARDSON, TRAITOR AND FAT ASS-AS SEC. OF STATE? I DON'T THINK SO!

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | November 16, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Obama- Already showing his inexperience and lack of his own initiative.This is turning into the third Clinton Presidency. What a joke.

Posted by: 2colesdad | November 16, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Ha Ha Ha! AGREED, ELI-PEYTON MANNING! WHAT IS IT WITH THESE LITTLE SELF-PROCLAIMED BLOG CENSORS, HUH? THEY DON'T HAVE ONE DAMN INTELLIGENT THING TO SAY ON THE BLOGS-THEY NEVER RESPOND AT ALL TO THE BLOG QUESTION, BUT THEY SURE AS HELL LIKE TO JUDGE AND ENGAGE IN AD HOMINEM ATTACKS ON POSTERS WHO DO HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY!

-HEY JORDY, MAYBE YOU MIGHT WANT TO, LIKE, GROW A FREAKING BRAIN, SUCH AS IT MAY BE, AND RESPOND TO THE ISSUES INSTEAD OF ACTING LIKE A NITWIT CENSOR -AND YOU KNOW ALREADY, NO ONE GIVES A DAMN WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT HOW MANY "MEANIES" THERE ON THE BOARD, HUH? SHEESH! NITWIT!

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | November 16, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I assume that there is a reason so many of these comments are mean-spirited and ill-informed but I can't for the life of me understand what it might be. Can't anyone post a well composed, intelligent comment? If you can't or you won't why do you bother unless your agenda, whatever that is, might be served by doing so. I think that the Washington Post might do a better job of reviewing comments before they post them.

Posted by: jordy1 | November 16, 2008 9:02 PM
==========================================
Someday I wanna grow up to be just like the mature jordy. Maybe I can be a censor.

Posted by: EliPeyton | November 16, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

The way Mr Obama's choices are developing, for sure, this looks like a "Clinton Restoration" and none too favourable for the Middle East Peace Process. Of course, I had hoped for better but more individuals are yet to be revealed. Naming Sen. Clinton, a self-serving polititian, as Secretary of State, would seem very odd unless, of course, Mr Obama wants to be strangled by her and her operatives. Certainly, a professional diplomat would be the wiser pick. So far, not so good for Mr Obama.

Posted by: HassanAliAl-Hadoodi | November 16, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jordy1 | November 16, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

It is irrelevant who Obama chooses to implement the change in policies which his predecessor has hewed to and those which he will implement. The change is about the policies which Obama will follow.

In truth, the change is not truly about the personnel who Obama chooses to work in his administration except their willingness to embrace, implement and uphold his policies. If Rove or Cheney would do that, then I would even have them work for Obama even though I have been appalled at what they have done under the present administration.

The change is not about the personnel. It is about leading the nation in a new direction.

Posted by: brwntrt | November 16, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: we-the-people | November 16, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Waa.. Waa, listen to the neocons whine, a repeat of the same Clinton team wouldn't be so bad, country did pretty well under the Clinton team. Why not hire the best and brightest of proven talent in the dermocratic stable. Better then hiring cronies and litmus test passing gophers, "what is it about W that makes you want to serve him?".
You neocons can take your corn and can it, a fool crying in the dark is still just a fool crying in the dark.

Posted by: tniederberger | November 16, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

it's interesting that George W. Bush has been hosting gay love parties in the whitehouse for many years, at least 181 of them by one non MSM reporters reckoning...

and yet we hear nothing of them.

but we put up with constant yammering about "the Monica seegar wetting incident."

why the lack of coverage? serendipity? or the vast right wing neocon's_piracy

wake up and arrest the slimeball, before he gets a chance to pardon thedick.

think I'm crazy? deluded? just plain mean?

who gives a flying fxxx.

want the truth?

Search on Jeff Gannon, Guckert, Victor Ashe, Karl Rove, Ken Mehlman, "Lips", George W. Bush, Trent Lott, gay

or

Search on Jeff Gannon, James Guckert, Secret Service, White House

the republicans have the moral compass of mole rats, and Karl is the Queen Rat

Posted by: afraidofme | November 16, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Greg should come in very handy in case there happens to be any calls for impeachment...

Posted by: TerrifiedAmerican | November 16, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

This is a guy who thought FISA was about to expire this summer!

Hope he does some not-light reading before January 20th.

Posted by: TeddySanFran | November 16, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who supported the Reagan Revolution, which eventually took this country down (with lots of help from the imaginary cowboy, Bush), needs to shut up, and listen for a change. Republicans had their chance, and look at what they did for us. Shame. Shame. Unbelievable shame.

Posted by: rooster54 | November 16, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Looks more like Clinton II, sans BC and Monica.

Posted by: prarieplow | November 16, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Unlike the current president, Barack is intelligent, well informed, and realistic. He had to earn his way to where he is, rather than having a series of jobs given to him as downpayments for future political favors. He can, therefor, surround himself with powerful people who know the ropes without losing his ability to maintain perspective and still call the shots.

Obama's successful campaign was a demonstration of genius. So we have some hope going into this daunting mess.

We are nearing the end of the most incredibly catastrophic train wreck of a government, and the sabotaging of a formerly thriving economy this country has ever seen. Anyone who still falls for right wing republican "free market" hogwash after all we have just witnessed is beyond help.

Posted by: rooster54 | November 16, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Obama won't take office for another two months, and people are already passing judgment on his presidency? My advice to them would be to postpone their verdicts until after the man actually becomes President, if they can bear to withhold judgment for that long.

Posted by: lydgate | November 16, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

With this choice I wonder who is actually pulling the strings? obama is looking like a puppet...

Posted by: yokosuka1985 | November 16, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Clearly the choices being made in team members are going to be loaded with known entities of known worth. In this instance, a brilliant attorney for legal counsel, compared to recent not-so-brilliant politically appointed cronies, must be a better choice. That any choice will be controversial is a given - attorneys with experience tend to have involved themselves in controversy on their path through a myriad of legal minefields to whatever lofty status they now enjoy.

It's interesting to note that the conservative losers can now only bleat their pathetic protests in forums like this where their puny voices are actually magnified to the level of a loud squeak! Sorry, but attempts to denigrate this choice for legal counsel, especially after the last lot, are really not going to be very effective. I suggest you find another topic in another forum where you might actually be noticed, however, it'll probably be a long time before you change anyone's mind regarding Obama.

Posted by: icurhuman2 | November 16, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

So, I fully agree with others here that if
the so-called President Elect Joke Bonehead
Messiah Barack Hussein Obama had even a
single clue as to his real priorities must
be for an orderly transistion then Obama
the Total Incompetent would be naming his
Most Important Cabinet Members,such as the
Sec of Defense,Homeland Security,State,
Labor,Treasury,Health and Human Services,
and all the other Highest Priority Jobs and
not be wasting time driving his kids to
school, looking for a puppy,doing endless
stupid George W Bush type photo ops and
idiotic meaningless read from a teleprompter speeches,running to the gym
and screwing around shooting basketballs,
and continuing to keep appointing endless
has been Liberal Democrats and Clinton Era
Losers to Minor White House Staff Jobs!

And we damn well dont need total failures
like Bill Richardson,John Kerry or Colin
Powell losers either. As this sends the
Message Very Loud and Clear Obama was sure
as Hell lying about his phony "Change You
Can Believe In" and will prove out that
the New Worst President In US history name
will be Barack Hussein Obama and Worst VP
Joe Biden! As Obama is already a failure!

Posted by: sherrykay2008 | November 16, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Is this the change we were promised we could believe in? So far all the names being mentioned, at least in the media, for cabinet posts look like recycled names, principally from the Clinton days.

Posted by: pchenjeri9602 | November 16, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Another Clinton-ite? obama team can't find anyone "outside" the beltway....what's with the "change"?

Posted by: yokosuka1985 | November 16, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

UH, BG-GREG CRAIG, IS TO BE WHITE HOUSE COUNSEL, NOT, REPEAT NOT, ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE DEPT. OF JUSTICE, OKAY? UNDERSTAND? TWO SEPARATE POSITIONS-AND I WOULD NEVER PUT CRAIG IN AS AG OF THE JUSTICE DEPT.- TOO SOFT! DOJ NEEDS A BALLBREAKER-SOMEONE WHO IS NOT AFRAID TO CRACK SOME UNETHICAL HEADS TOGETHER, IN THE POLITICAL ROT THAT IS SO PERVASIVE AT JUSTICE!

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | November 16, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Craig is a good pick. The man has been doing high profile legal work for years. He is smart and experienced -- a far better choice than Gonzales who was a nincompoop and even than Ashcroft, who turned out to be a lot better guy than we were aware of -- once we learned about all the stuff going on secretly at Justice.

I expect Obama will rely on all experienced Democrats. Clinton's administration was very popular, so of course he will choose some of Clinton's talent. Democrats should not forget the Clinton administration. People were happy and well off then and Clinton was incredibly popular. We definitely must use all the talent we have to make the Obama administration a successful one.

Posted by: bghgh | November 16, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

NOW I WONDER, OBAMABOT, WHAT ABOUT HAIRPLUG HEAVEN, 65 PLUS "OLD FART" JOE BIDEN, IS GOING TO DO FOR WORK, HUH? JUST WAIT UNTIL HE THINKS THE COAST IS CLEAR, AND THEN COME OUT WITH YET ANOTHER OF HIS WEIRD, INEXPLICABLY RACIST COMMENTS, HUH? HA HA HA!

REMEMBER IT WAS HAIRPLUG FACELIST BIDEN WHO SAID OBAMA WAS "CLEAN"-SHEESH! WHAT A DISASTER IN WAITING HE IS! HA HA HA!

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | November 16, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

“Obviously he’ll influence the president to be pro-Israel. Why wouldn’t he? What is he, an Arab? He’s not going to be mopping floors at the White House,” the elder Mr. Emanuel told the Israeli daily Ma’ariv, according to English-language reports in The Jerusalem Post and The Jewish Telegraphic Agency.

Elder Emanuel, let me tell you that mopping floors is not a shameful activity, like the ones many of you guys are involved in. A piece of information to you, idiot: if they do not mop the floor rightly, your as... might slip and brake.

Posted by: RIVASF1@WESTAT.COM | November 16, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Why would Obama need advice on torture and Gitmo?
Torture is evil and unreliable. Gitmo is evil and unconstitutional.

Posted by: annemorse | November 16, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

A first-rate appointment, by a first-rate President-elect!!!

Makes me proud to be an Obamacrat!!!

Posted by: Martinedwinandersen | November 16, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

OBAMABOT WROTE:

"It stands to reason that Pres. elect Obama is going to seek the best candidates from Democrats with prior government experience, and unless you want all old farts in their 60s and 70s those are going to include people from the Clinton years."

UH, OBAMABOT-I DON'T THINK YOU, IN ALL YOUR KIDDIE WISDOM, UNDERSTAND-THE CLINTON FOLKS ARE ALL 'OLD FARTS" IN THEIR 60'S WITH THE EXCEPTION OF RAHM, WHO'S GOING TO HAVE A HELL OF A PROBLEM WITH THOSE WHO ARE NOT PRO-ISRAEL.

CRAIG IS 63-OBAMABOT, IDIOT. HE QUALIFIES FOR "OLD FART" HA HA HA!

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | November 16, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

CRAIG IS AN DEFENDS CROOKS. GOOD CHOICE, HUSSEIN.

NOT ONLY CRAIG DEFENDS CROOKS, HE FAILS, AS WITH HINCKLEY.

BOY, THIS NEW ADMINISTRATION IS GOING TO BE LOTS OF FUN. WHO IS SUFFERING FROM POLITICS WITHDRAWAL AFTER THE ELECTIONS?

THERE'S MUCH MORE POLITICAL CORRUPTION ON THE WAY TO KEEP YOU FIXED FOR THE NEXT 12 YEARS.

Posted by: coqui44 | November 16, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Omyobama, best not to respond to Caps Lock kooks.

Meanwhile...
This is the most exciting and important political interval in my 52 years.

The White House staff development is as it should be. No ideology, just technocrats. It is like starting a new airline and hiring the best pilots and business managers away from the competition.

Posted by: shrink2 | November 16, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

So the guy defends crooks.
Never mind,say the Obamabots.

They twist themselves out of shape to defend the indefendible:

"

Craig sounds like a good man for the job and a capable lawyer and this is what we want in terms of appointments; however, his work on the Gonzales fiasco reflects blind loyalty and stupid judgement ... so stupid that Craig should have talked Clinton out of it rather than wasting his time trying to talk the American people into it. Basically this kind of behavior is characteristic of a bad Holly Wood movie and it doesn't sit well.

Posted by: Slager21 | November 16, 2008 4:17 PM "

Slager21 can see that Craig has a serious defect, he reads that Craig defends crooks, and yet...he still APPROVES Hussein's selection.

Blind, blind blind obamabots.

Posted by: coqui44 | November 16, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Matthew Avitabile writes: This is nothing compared to Obama's first act as President:
http://jumpinginpools.blogspot.com/2008/11/shock-as-obama-declares-dinars-american.html. But if you go to that link, you see what is supposed to be a news article (written by Matthew himself!) about an event that supposedly took place already, on Obama's first day in the White House. But of course, Obama's first day in the White House hasn't happened yet, and this is all fiction written by lunatics for lunatics. Blogs are not news, people, and blogs written by the people directing you to them really aren't news! I guess "bile" is right.

Posted by: fmjk | November 16, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Slager21 | November 16, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

And meanwhile, we have this, from RAHM EMMANUEL'S FATHER, TODAY IN THE NY TIMES: SORRY OBAMABOTS-I SAID MANY TIMES THAT RAHM WILL BE DIRECTING THE SHOW AT THE WHITE HOUSE-AND IT WILL INDEED BE FIERCELY ISRAEL!

Emanuel Apologizes for Father’s ‘Arab’ Comments

By Sarah Wheaton
Representative Rahm Emanuel, left, President-elect Barack Obama’s chief of staff, called the president of an Arab-American group today to apologize for comments his father made to an Israeli newspaper.

In the remarks, Benjamin Emanuel discussed the potential impact of his son’s new position on U.S.-Israeli relations.

Calling the comment an “unacceptable smear,” the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee had sent the younger Emanuel a letter (copied to Mr. Obama) calling on him to “disavow and repudiate these remarks publicly.”

“All we ask is to be treated in the same way as any other ethnic, racial or minority group,” said Kareem Shora, the A.D.C.’s executive director. “We’re not treating it as simply an Arab-American issue, we’re trying to treat it as an American issue.”

That led to Rahm Emanuel’s apology today.

NO, YOU LOST, OBAMABOT-"PLUS CA CHANGE, LE PLUS LA MEME CHOSE!" HA HA HA!

Posted by: arrabbiato | November 16, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Omyobama - Don't be mean to Fayetteville. They voted for Obama. All those old-timer vets in Fayettenam weren't about to let history repeat itself by voting for four more years of pointless war. :-)

Posted by: treetopflyer | November 16, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

ARRABIATO >>> PLEASE SHOUT LOUDER> I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!! OH, AND BY THE WAY YOU HATER ... YOUR HORSE LOST! GET OVER IT! WAIT UNTIL THE WINNER IS IN OFFICE AT LEAST TO GLOAT ABOUT WHAT HE'S NOT DOING LOL ...

Posted by: Omyobama | November 16, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Greg Craig is one of the most respected lawyers in the country and as a bonus the Clintons hate him for recruiting Obama to run against Hilary.

Posted by: Atispo | November 16, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

People are being incredibly short sighted and naive in their comments. The biggest mistakes of the past two Democratic presidents were bringing in their "new" casts of outsiders from Georgia and Arkansas and letting them get hornswaggled by the DC establishment. Does anyone really want another Mack McClarty as chief of staff? Clinton barely survived his first 2 years. Folks, the CHANGE we believe in will come from Obama's policies and programs. These people are akin to those on the assembly lines manufacturing new cars. When we demand new models, we don't go through the factory floors clearing out all the assemblers. We start with the designs and plans. It stands to reason that Pres. elect Obama is going to seek the best candidates from Democrats with prior government experience, and unless you want all old farts in their 60s and 70s those are going to include people from the Clinton years. Geez ... reading these comments I began to wonder if I was reading the Fayettville Post instead of Washington Post. Did you all just come in on the 11 am bus, lol? People can't wait to have something to complain about .... why don't you shut up and wait until he's in office and see what he's able to do?

Posted by: Omyobama | November 16, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

p.s. YES, INDEED, SHRINK, YOU AND THE REST OF THE OBAMABOTS DID INDEED WASTE A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY-WHICH YOU'LL SEE EVEN MORE CLEARLY IN THE COMING MONTHS.

THERE WERE MANY OF US DEMS. WHO WEREN'T FOOLED BY OBAMA'S RHETORIC-HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE RUNNING ANYTHING, WHAT IN GOD'S NAME MADE YOU ALL SO IDIOTICALLY NAIVE HERE TO THINK HE COULD DO IT BY HIS EMPTY ABSTRACT SPEECHES WITH A STUPID BUZZWORD OF "CHANGE" YES WE CAN"? HA HA HA HA! HOW RIDICULOUS! YOU CAN FORGIVE THE KIDDIES FOR BEING SO STARRY EYED AND DUPED, BUT NOT OLDER FOLK WHO SURE AS HELL OUGHT TO HAVE KNOWN BETTER!

OF COURSE OBAMA'S GOING TO TURN TO CLINTON INSIDERS-WHICH FROM MY PERSPECTIVE, NOT ONLY MAKES ME LAUGH MY ASS OFF AT THE IRONY, BUT PLEASES ME, MAKES ME LIKE OBAMA MORE-'CUZ I WAS ALWAYS BILL CLINTON'S BIGGEST ADMIRER!

Posted by: arrabbiato | November 16, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Emanuel Apologizes for Father’s ‘Arab’ Comments

By Sarah Wheaton

That led to Rahm Emanuel’s apology today.

Posted by: arrabbiato | November 16, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Most of you don't understand that the white house staff are operations people, not leaders. They lubricate wheels, they make and return phone calls, they protect the Executive.

For example, Cheney wanted to torture moslems and Addington made it "ok".

If Obama selects Clinton retread people in leadership (cabinet) positions, well then we will have the Clintons' third term and a lot of us wasted a lot of time and money.

The GM giveaway makes me sick. Is Dingell's wife that powerful? Or does Obama not take a few billion wasted tax dollars seriously.
GM is already dead, no one is going to buy their cars; maybe a few dozen billion is something Obama is willing to waste in order to bring Congress along on much bigger issues.

Posted by: shrink2 | November 16, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Obama because he promised change. And instead we get Clinton retreads? That is NOT the change that we voted for!

Posted by: ooyah32 | November 16, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Why don't you screamers actually try to do something if the status quo pisses you off so much? Or does typing with one hand, posting links to fake articles about a president who isn't even president yet and doing - whatever - with the other hand qualify in your book as doing something?

Geez, you all are so pathetic. You're so thirsty for dirt to throw at him, you're calling him president while Bush is still in office and linking to obviously fake stories. Get - a - life.

Posted by: treetopflyer | November 16, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

God in heaven. Have we really debased our nation so much that we can use the words "torture policy" in a headline with such casual glibness?

Posted by: Anglia123 | November 16, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

To: Arrabbiato:

Please re-read the headline of the posted article, "OBAMA JOB#1."

Thank you for your interest and your concern for the protection of constitutionally protected rights and civil liberties.

Repeated requests for an investigation of the abrogation of those rights -- by way of state-supported programs used as a front for "organized community/gang stalking" nationwide -- have gone unheeded.

OR members.nowpublic.com/scrivener

Posted by: scrivener50 | November 16, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

This is nothing compared to Obama's first act as President:

Posted by: MatthewAvitabile | November 16, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Anyone would be better than the Moron Con Econ Terrorist Born Again Bigots, Fairy Tale Based Frauds, Pro Life Killers, Murderers, Rapists, War Criminal Communist Terrorists Idiots there now.

Moron Con Econ Terrorists have destroyed the Economy and America with their No Regulation, No Antitrust and No Oversight Failed Moron Con Policies dictated by Big Business and Foreign Government Lobbyists that make all their policies.

The Guns Owned Party are Full of Killers, These Born Again Fairy Tale Based Pro Life Cowards love Killing God's Innocent, Defenseless Creatures just for Pure Pleasure, These Cowards love dropping Bombs on Innocent, Defenseless Women and Children

Cons are Morons

Moron Cons are Cowards with Guns and Bombs

What Would Jesus Shoot, Christian Killers?

Cons are Born Again Bigots

The Racist Right are Extremist Hypocrites

Christian Bigots are all Phonies.

The Guns Owned Party are full of Cowards with Guns.

Pro Life Mass Murderers, Serial Killers are Coward War Criminals

Send the War Criminals to the International Criminal Court to face War Crimes.

Enablers of War Criminals are Equally Guilty of all the Rapes, Mass Murders, Serial Killings and War Crimes.

Have Fun in Eternal Hell, Moron Con Hypocrite Bigot Frauds & Born Again Fairy Tale Based Pro Life Killers!

What Would Jesus Shoot, Pro Life Killers?

Posted by: mawt | November 16, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Sandy wrote:

But,no Obama puts running to the damn gym,
looking for a new puppy,doing more idiotic
photo ops and stupid teleprompter read
speechs and appointing Democrat Has Beens
and Clinton Era Stooges,Chicago Democrat
Thugs instead. Oh well So Much For All Of..."

I have to admit, I'm a little non-plussed by Obama's lack of... initiative? He's in the gym, looking for a puppy, looking at where his daughters will sleep at the White House, basically DOING NOTHING BUT MAKING HIS USUAL CONTENTLESS SPEECHES. I'M A DEM. WHO DID NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA, BECAUSE I DIDN'T BELIEVE HE HAD THE EXPERIENCE TO BE PRESIDENT, BUT I MUST SAY, I HAVE A WEIRD, SNEAKING SUSPICION ABOUT OBAMA-HE REALLY ONLY WANTED TO SEE IF HE COULD BE PRESIDENT, AND NOW THAT HE IS THE PRESIDENT-ELECT-HE'S CONTENT TO BE, HOW SHALL I SAY? A FIGUREHEAD-GOING ABOUT DOING HIS OWN LITTLE DISINTERESTED ROUTINE-LOOKING COOL, BUT NOT WORKING HARD-YOU WON'T SEE THAT FROM OBAMA-I'VE SAID THIS MANY TIMES-OBAMA DOESN'T DO DIFFICULT, EVERYONE ELSE WILL WORK LIKE SLAVES AROUND HIM, BUT HE WON'T. AND HE WON'T DO MUCH OVERSEAS TRAVEL, BECAUSE HE COMPLAINS ABOUT JET LAG TOO MUCH.

OBAMA IS, I THINK WE CAN SAY, RATHER A STRANGE DUCK....

Posted by: arrabbiato | November 16, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

The Republicans and those who want to define CHANGE can kiss their own elbows. Greg Craig is going to do OK because he was the first to actually recruit Obama to run for presidency. You can say that he saw what the rest of dumbass republican operatives number saw could happen. They were holding their breaths that the country is made up of Appalachian whites!

Posted by: gabexianCHE | November 16, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Cons are Morons

What Would Jesus Shoot, Christian Killers?

Cons are Born Again Bigots

The Racist Right are Extremist Hypocrites

Christian Bigots are all Phonies.

Pro Life Mass Murderers, Serial Killers are War Criminals

Send the War Criminals to the International Criminal Court to face War Crimes.

Posted by: mawt | November 16, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Bill Clinton, staring into the camera, thumb forward, lying, "I did not have sex with that woman, Ms. Lewinsy."

John Hinckley, assassin.

Another Kennedy, accused of rape.

Is anyone suggesting that Greg Craig does not surpass the pathetic legal and personal standards set by a Republican?

No one needs to.

"Subtle nuances."

Not exactly.

Oh, boy, Clinton DID win the White House.

Posted by: wpfree | November 16, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Just one more sleazy Clinton cabal slug. What a change artist the affirmative action boy is. Pathetic.

Posted by: LarryG62 | November 16, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

A GOOD SELECTION

REGARDLESS OF WHAT 'IS' MEANS.

Posted by: brucerealtor@gmail.com | November 16, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

A GOOD SELECTION

REGARDLESS OF WHAT 'IS' MEANS.

Posted by: brucerealtor@gmail.com | November 16, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

========
"has he abandoned his policy on CHANGE by bringing in OLD FACES, or has he got a conflict of interest going with CRAIG'S LIST ????"
=======

Wow, the repglycans are still clinically psychotic. I thought that would go away after the election.

-- faye kane, homeless brain
See more of my smartmouth opinions at http://blog.myspace.com/fayekane

Posted by: FayeKane_HomelessSmartypants | November 16, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ Obama and his message of change. Obama loads his administration full of Clintonites. Folks, there are 300+ million people here in the United States of America and the best Obama can do is recycle Clinton people? LOL!!!! Sorry, Obamabots, but there are plenty of qualified people out there (over 300 million Americans to choose from) that were never part of the Clinton White House or the Bush years.

Barack Obama (before elections): Change! We are the change we are looking for!!!

Barack Obama (after being elected): Hey, Bill, Hillary! Can you give me your old employment rosters?

Posted by: spam6 | November 16, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Cons are Morons

What Would Jesus Shoot, Christian Killers?

Cons are Born Again Bigots

The Racist Right are Extremist Hypocrites

Christian Bigots are all Phonies.

Pro Life Mass Murderers, Serial Killers are War Criminals

Send the War Criminals to the International Criminal Court to face War Crimes.

Posted by: mawt | November 16, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Harriet Meirs,

Alberto Gonzales,

John Yoo,

David Addington.

Is anyone suggesting that Greg Craig does not surpass the pathetic legal and personal standards set by any of these Republican White House rubes?

Posted by: pali2500 | November 16, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

It seems to have escaped the Republican rubes' notice that President-elect Obama is under no compunction to select staff according to the Republican rubes' wishes.

If you did not vote for Obama, you are -- at best -- an irrelevancy.

Suck it up, rubes, until he does something that directly affects your miserable, misbegotten lives.

Posted by: pali2500 | November 16, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

doesn't this section's title "Transition To Power" sound a little suggestive? shouldn't it be "Transition Of Power"?

Posted by: l_elsasser | November 16, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Group5 - In the last generation there are only two Democratic administrations from which to choose if one wants White House experience to draw from - Carter and Clinton. Which would you rather Obama chose from? (Hint: Clinton chose Carter for foreign policy (Warren Christopher) - Bosnia burned while Christopher went to Europe and "listened".)

Posted by: treetopflyer | November 16, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The earlier comments show that many people do not want an effective lawyer as White House counsel. Perhaps they want right-wing frame-up artists to have free rein.

Posted by: samrev | November 16, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure this man is a capable lawyer and adviser, but the Obama transition is beginning to resemble a restoration of the Clinton Administration in toto.

So much for eschewing Washington insiders.

Posted by: group5 | November 16, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. He defends a lying cheater, a rapist, and a murderer. Wow. Wow.

This is incredibly stupid.

Posted by: wpfree | November 16, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Is this a good pick? "Well, it depends on the definition of is."

Not.

Not a good sign.

Posted by: wpfree | November 16, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

So what! He has to pick the brightest and the best wherever they are. Put the magnifying glasses away and let him work.
Yes he can! Mytwocents

Posted by: pmcohen30 | November 16, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

mafox1 wrote:

Obama kept preaching that McCain would be a third Bush term. He seems to have neglected to tell us that his election would be a Clinton third term.

-------

And between Bush and Clinton, which one left a legacy of peace, prosperity and international respect?

==================================================
wardropper wrote:

Excuse me, but are you telling me that this lawyer convinced America that Monica Lewinsky didn't actually exist, and that Bill wasn't publicly disgraced?

I must have missed something . . . .

-------------

Mr. Craig had only to convince the Senate that charges of sexual misconduct were insufficient for conviction under the Constitution.

Posted by: norm_mit | November 16, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Is Obama affraid of impeachment, has he abandoned his policy on CHANGE by bringing in OLD FACES, or has he got a conflict of interest going with CRAIG'S LIST ????

Posted by: properbostonian1 | November 16, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

So, why haven't any of you rabid Obamabot
Cult Members and other normal people yet
noticed that Loser Elect Bonehead Barack
the Wealth Spreader Hussein Obama has sure
as Hell proven already his total incompetency by not having given the Top
Priority to Naming His Sec of Defense,Sec
Of State,Sec of Homeland Security,US Attorney General and Sec of Treasury and
Sec of Labor,if Bonehead Barry Obama and
Big Mouth Joe Biden were serious about
"Change You Can Believe In" now then?

But,no Obama puts running to the damn gym,
looking for a new puppy,doing more idiotic
photo ops and stupid teleprompter read
speechs and appointing Democrat Has Beens
and Clinton Era Stooges,Chicago Democrat
Thugs instead. Oh well So Much For All Of
Obama's LIES!

Posted by: sandylong5274 | November 16, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

So much for "change" by the new administration. It is beginning to look like a re-play of the Clinton White House.

Posted by: PittAlum | November 16, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

P.S. I THINK GREG CRAIG IS A GREAT CHOICE FOR WHITE HOUSE COUNSEL, AND AM LOOKING FORWARD EAGERLY TO THE NEW AG AND DAG ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR DOJ!

Posted by: arrabbiato | November 16, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I think he is a good choice.

Posted by: mrshep | November 16, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"But it was his defense of Clinton on the floor of the U.S. Senate during the impeachment trial that vaulted the 63-year-old lawyer to prominence."

I must have missed something . . . .

Posted by: wardropper | November 16, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

SORRY SCRIVENER, BUT THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO THIS COUNTRY WILL BE WHEN OBAMA SELECTS A NEW, ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE-DOJ HAS BEEN THE MOST CORRUPTED AND BROKEN OF ALL THE FEDERAL AGENCIES IN THIS COUNTRY BY THE MOST INSIDIOUS AND MALIGN INFLUENCES IN THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION-IT IS BROKEN, IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED, AND IT CAN ONLY BE FIXED BY SOMEONE WHO WILL MAKE IT A NUMBER ONE PRIORITY TO GO AFTER THE ROGUE PROSECUTORS THAT ARE SUBORNING PERJURY AND CAUSING GREAT MISCARRIAGES OF JUSTICE ALL OVER THIS COUNTRY-UNTIL PROSECUTORIAL MISCONDUCT AND ABSOLUTE ETHICAL PROFESSIONALISM IS MADE AN ABSOLUTE PRIORITY BY THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT, WHICH IT IS NOT NOW, JUSTICE WILL NOT BE SERVED IN THIS COUNTRY.

AND THAT CAN'T HAPPEN

Posted by: arrabbiato | November 16, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"Greg Craig will advise Obama on controversial issues, such as torture policy, Guantanamo."

You mean, when the American people insist on a reversal of Bush's evildoing, Greg Craig will bear the responsibility if Obama refuses?
Sound like democracy to me.
Sure thing.
OK, let's do it.

Posted by: wardropper | November 16, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mafox1 | November 16, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA JOB #1: Co-Opt, Disarm a Potential 'Silent Coup'

• 'Rogue elements' could subvert his leadership if not curbed

• Lay plans to put "homeland" agencies under Defense, Justice and Treasury

GET POLITICAL w/ VIC LIVINGSTON

Contrary to mainstream media conventional wisdom, Barack Obama's most pressing task at hand as President-elect is not dealing with the economic crisis.

As the first order of business, he must take decisive action to consolidate his power and disarm potential rogue elements within the bowels of the apparachik that may be tempted to "test," or even subvert, his leadership.

Major elements of the security complex no longer fall under the purview of the Department of Defense or the Justice Department. Their independence, and an absence of meaningful oversight by Congress, make these entities a potential breeding ground for resistance to his ascension to the presidency.

The situation is compounded by the fact that some of these entities are privy to virtually all channels of communications and surveillance.

President-elect Obama would be wise to co-opt any potential bureaucratic resistance by retaining the services of Defense Secretary Robert Gates, and, at least for the short term, Attorney General Michael Mukasey. FBI Director Robert Mueller's term isn't up until 2010; the retention of Gates and Mukasay, along with the continued service of Mueller, would act as a powerful deterrent to potential rogue actors who do not fall under the command of those three key national security officials.

The President-elect should immediately announce the retention of these Bush administration appointees. Then he should lay plans for a Congressionally-mandated reorganization that would once again bring the agencies of the Department of Homeland Security under the direct purview and authority of existing cabinet departments -- notably, Defense, Justice and Treasury.

Such a reorganization would establish greater accountability on the part of the Homeland Security agencies, and would better facilitate meaningful Congressional oversight.

This reorganization would retire the title "Homeland Security," which is linguistically reminiscent of the rhetoric of Nazi Germany.

Gates and Mukasey, it could be argued, already have demonstrated their capability for independent decision-making that puts the national interest above partisan political or ideological considerations. By giving these three officials a vote of confidence now, President-elect Obama would demonstrate bi-partisanship while deterring potential rogue resistance to his leadership.

BUT WILL THE ELECTION EVEN MATTER?

Not as long as government-supported "extrajudicial targeting" vigilante squads are "community stalking" American citizens, making a mockery of the rule of law:

OR members.nowpublic.com/scrivener

Posted by: scrivener50 | November 16, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I think you people who are attacking president-elect Obama should just back off. What do you want him to do? The man is filling the positions with talented and intelligent individuals who actually know how to run things. One would think that after 8 years of being run into the ground by incompetent and ideological morons would give us all a yearning for competency. I am just glad Obama is doing the right things, so shut up!

Posted by: Henry_of_BrowardCounty | November 16, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey Obama! This is the "Clinton Two" Administration! Great-although maybe a few of the starry eyed faithful OBAMABOTS are a LEEETLE disappointed that the Clinton influence is SO MUCH STRONGER THAN THEY EVER THOUGHT WOULD BE THE CASE-HA HA HA HA HA!

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT OBAMA CULTISTS? THE MAN HAS NO EXPERIENCE IN ANYTHING-HE NEEDS TO REACH OUT TO THE CLINTONS WHO HAD ALL THE BEST BRAINS, HE WANTS TO COPY ALL THAT, CAUSE HE'S NOT EXACTLY ORIGINAL, NOW IS HE?

Posted by: arrabbiato | November 16, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Like the Stock market , a lawyer's past performance is not always a reliable indicator of future success . There is NO chance of Craig cooling out Michelle like he did Hillary after an intern "mistake" as Spitzer would call it .

Posted by: borntoraisehogs | November 16, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

With this appointment Clinton is back for sure!
Hopefully there are NO more Thomases for the Courts. Hopefully GITMO is closed Jan. 20th and the prisoners sent back to their countries. Hopefully the Bill of Rights and Constitution willbe restored! Otherwise this is shaping up to be a mix of Clinton-Bush (43) al la 2009.

Posted by: KBlit | November 16, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse