Hillary Clinton Calls Obama to Offer Congratulations

By Anne E. Kornblut
Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton called Sen. Barack Obama at around 11:30 p.m., offering her congratulations and her condolences on the loss of his grandmother, a Clinton spokesman said. Obama thanked her for her help, and said he looked forward to speaking to her and her husband soon.

Clinton was among the first to release a statement upon Obama's victory.

"Tonight, we are celebrating an historic victory for the American people. This was a long and hard fought campaign but the result was well worth the wait," she said.

By Web Politics Editor  |  November 4, 2008; 11:55 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Ecstasy' in Chicago Tonight, Says Jesse Jackson
Next: Ecstatic Chicago Crowd Awaits Man of the Hour

Comments

Even though President Elect Obama wants to start his team from a "freshly clean slate," he should definitely employ the talents from Senator Hillary Clinton for developing universal health care. He should even offer her a formal position so she can help develop a health care system.

It is time to bury the contentious primary, and President Elect Obama should be mature enough to realize this. Let's move on. The Clintons have so much to offer the President Elect.

Posted by: paul007rf | November 7, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

I hope President Obama makes maximum use of her abilities, knowledge and skills.

She's a remarkable woman, a great Senator and a great American.

Its a shame that we don't make better use of the "runner up" when we have political contests, especially when its a runner up from the Primary.

Bill and Hillary's knowledge, contacts, and insight into how to get things done in washington would be extremely valuable to our new President.

I hope he makes use of them.

The more top-notch people the more tough problems we can sollve.

Posted by: svreader | November 5, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, give Hillary a break. She'll run against Biden in 2016, and she still might be the first woman president.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. As I listened to Barack Obama's rousing speech tonight, I thought about what Hillary might have said. And I have to say that I think Barack Obama is actually the Zeitgeist for our time.

I think he will heal our country and unite us as one people. I do believe he'll be a great leader.

For the first time in years, I have hope for our country. It will take a long time to undo the damage done by the corrupt and greedy politicians who have usurped power for the last eight years. But I think Obama has a vision for this country, and I can sleep easier tonight knowing that the well-being of people like myself are included in his vision for America.

He will need the cooperation of Congress - both the House and the Senate. Let's hope that Mitch McConnell and other Republican leaders who unfortunately did not lose their seats will not try to hold on to the coattails of the past eight years.

Obama is right - THIS IS OUR TIME. We must seize it - carpe diem - and let no one, not even leftover Republicans, rob us of it.

I'M SO HAPPY!!! I have a President I can be proud of again! Someone who is intelligent, thoughtful, calm, and well-reasoned - happy, happy, joy, joy!

I feel much safer already. I have hope for the future, and for my child's future, and for his children's future.

Tonight for the first time in a long time, I feel our nation is truly blessed. My wish now is for the scales to fall off all the people's eyes, and for them to wake from their slumber, and be enlightened.

Tomorrow we can once again stand tall in the world of our peers. We can once again be respected in the global community. There is so much opportunity to do good in this world; so much we can do for our country and for our planet. I'm really looking forward to new ideas, new solutions, and a new day dawning.

Posted by: kentuckywoman | November 5, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Barack gave a more inclusive message. The issue was not that a black person won and thus a racial barrier was broken, the real issue was that a man won that promised to rally all Americans to reach their potential and help restore America. That the goverment was there again for the people and by the people, irregardless of the labels used to divide.

Thank you Barack Obama, We Love You!

Posted by: DrWho2 | November 5, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

To el_barto's comment, whatever Hillary Clinton did during the primary it is long over and she did work hard to help elect Obama. It is time to bury the past and look toward the future.

Posted by: steviana | November 5, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Secretly, though, she's crying inside; she's crying inside.

"That should have been me up there," she says to herself.

So much for Hillary 2012, huh!

Posted by: el_barto | November 5, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse