McCain and Clinton, Still on the Obama Agenda

By Ben Pershing
Much of what has been mostly talk since Election Day will turn to action this week: Barack Obama will sit down with John McCain today to mend fences while his incoming administration continues staffing up, and Congress returns to town to deal with a few leadership races and an auto industry bailout with dubious prospects for success.

The winner gets home-field advantage, so McCain will travel to Chicago to meet Obama at the latter's transition office. They will be joined by Lindsey Graham and Rahm Emanuel, making a foursome that is ripe for transformation into a sitcom or road trip movie (a black guy, a Jewish guy, a southerner, an elderly guy, a lot of cursing -- you get the idea ...).

On the personnel front, the steady accumulation of current and former Clinton administration staffers continues with the addition of Greg Craig to the team as White House counsel, a process that could culminate with the installation of an actual Clinton (no, not Chelsea or Roger, fantastic as that might be) at Foggy Bottom. Hillary got lots of praise on the Sunday shows, including from Republicans, but nothing seems certain until the Obama camp finishes vetting Bill and figures out how he can keep being a globetrotting philanthropist/rainmaker without stirring up conflicts.

Continue reading at Political Browser»

By Web Politics Editor  |  November 17, 2008; 8:09 AM ET
Categories:  The Rundown
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Greg Craig Selected as White House Counsel
Next: Obama on the Presidency -- and the First Family -- on '60 Minutes'

Comments

As I saw John MacCain is not bad man. But the Republican leaders made him look that ,because He was following thier bad ideas and he and G. W.Bush ( nero the second )was in the same party which caused big hate for both. Now I am suggesting John McCain to leave the Bad Rep.Party to the good Democratic party to correct his mistakes.

Posted by: gabraeal | November 18, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

As I saw John MacCain is not bad man. But the Republicans leaders made him look that ,because He was following their bad ideas and he and G. W.Bush ( Nero the second )was in the same party which caused big hit for both. Now I am suggesting John McCain to leave the Bad Rep.Party to the good Democratic party to correct his mistakes.

Posted by: gabraeal | November 18, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

HRC will more than survive whether she remains in the Senate or does something else. As for Pelosi: apparently some of you are unfamiliar with Blue Dog Democrats. BDDs vote pretty much as a bloc,stymied Pelosi at every turn and made her look ineffective -- and guess what? there'll be even more BDDs in the next Congress. They are conservative, come from conservative districts, and did not ride in on Obama's coattails, thus they don't owe him a thing. They were immune to pressure from Pelosi, and Obama probably won't fare much better in trying to snap them into line.

Yeah, the next 4 years should be interesting. So better read up on Blue Dog Democrats; they're going to be a force to reckon with.

Posted by: loadtogo | November 17, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

"Personally, I would like for Nancy Pelosi to be replaced as Speaker of the house.
I don't think she accomplished much, and needs to go away.

Posted by: Toots1941 "
-------
In the first 6 1/2 years of Bush's Presidency he did not use the veto once. In the 1 1/2 years the Dems have had control he has used it at least 6 times and the Republicans in congress have used the filibuster a RECORD amount of times.

That is what is defined as "obstructionism"

Anybody wonder why it is called the "do nothing congress"?

Posted by: JRM2 | November 17, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

got to deal with the crybabies.... apparently.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | November 17, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe some Dimocrats want to oust San Fran Nan! :-o

Why, she has accomplished Sooooooo Much!

Like:

um,

welllll,

uhhhh,

...

Posted by: SAINT---The | November 17, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I strongly feel that President-Elect Barack Obama will be one of the greatest president of the United States of America such as President Clinton. American people has full confidence on Barack Obama. I still feel that he must appoint one of the Clintons as our secretary of the state, they will put all on the line to defend the principal and value that make United States the greatest nation,

It is very important for America to regain its in the world as a beacon of hope, optimism and just the leadership in the world.

A world without power, United States global dominance is very important.!!!!

Posted by: akber_kassam | November 17, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I would have to agree. Pelosi (among others) need to go. Those who cannot fullfill their duties in their respective positions need to be either transferred to a place where they could do more good or just let go completely. Restructuring needs to be more than just the cabinet positions from the trans team.

Posted by: XanderB | November 17, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi doesnt run America but she is a damn good speaker of the house, she shares Obama's views which is good enough for me

Posted by: txpoet | November 17, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

No, Nancy Pelosi is a kick butt house speaker, I love how she loves America and wants us to prosper again, She Rocks!

Posted by: txpoet | November 17, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I first had my doubts about Obama, but I now don't. I think he will be a fine President, and we have nothing to worry about, rumors are just that, I believe this is a man with great integrity and will do right for America. I admire he is not arrogant and he isnt trying to back track pm campaign promises either. I was a Hillary backer orginally, but if he gives her the position of Secretary of state, I feel it will benefit he as well as the country.

Posted by: txpoet | November 17, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Ok... Pelosi needs to go away...

And I want a pony... And a G.I. Joe "Basra Fighting Machine" Hummer... And another high-capacity clip for my AK...

But Daddy says such things aren't realistic... Something about 401... OK...?

Posted by: LeroyTheRoadie | November 17, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I don't think she accomplished much, and needs to go away.

Posted by: Toots1941 | November 17, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Fanatics who try to force their agenda down America's throats... Hmm... Yeah... We've seen an awful lot of that, but let's put it all on Pelosi... So much easier to demonize one person and movement than to really evaluate fairly how to get our house in order...

Posted by: LeroyTheRoadie | November 17, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Obama, in developing a bipartisan advisory group, including learned ,reputable persons for Cabinet and Staff positions is COMMENDABLE--His unbecoming campaign mannerisms, now replaced with realistic ideas and references, radiates CONFIDENCE in his ability to lead our country--The entire Obama family, displaying finite wholesome values, will PROUDLY SHINE in the White House setting!!

Posted by: lInanny | November 17, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Anything Obama does to weaken the fanatics like Pelosi and company who would try to force THEIR agenda down America's throat is OK. Nancy, especially needs to understand that she ain't runnin' things. By dragging liberal extremists towards the center will happen and Obama's early efforts in shaping the "legislative" branch with Clinton and McCain appear brilliant.

Good choice America.