Other Familiar Faces at Obama's Polling Place

By Eli Saslow
CHICAGO -- Even as Obama cast his vote this morning to symbolize the end of his presidential campaign, some of the old ghosts of the last year continued to stalk him. Moments before Obama cast his ballot at Precinct 24, Ward 4 near his home in Hyde Park, Bill Ayers -- an Obama associate, a former terrorist and a hazardous connection for the campaign -- walked out of the same polling location.

And not long after Obama left with his wife, Michelle and their two daughters, Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan entered the building.

For all Obama knew, more memories from the last year waited behind him. As he left the building early this morning, the voting line stretched for more than a block, barely moving.

By Washington Post editors  |  November 4, 2008; 12:20 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rainy Morning in Battleground of North Carolina
Next: PA: Heavy Turnout and No Major Problems

Comments

Danny20852:
American values to me as many Americans feel is not associating ones self with people that share racist and anti-american views. I am a veteran and fought in two wars for the country I love. I would never let anyone take bad about my country and share a hand shake with. I would kick your butt if you dogged the country I love and fought for. That is what a true American value is!!
The likes of Bill Ayers, Rev. Wright are living a good life in the country they hate so much. It disgusts me to no end to see how so many so called Americans are willing to dismiss these type of people.
Barak Obama is a radical and if he would of spit in the eyes of Bill Ayers I might of thought better of him, but he chose to be a friend. Give me a break, that is not American. I could live with that ordinally, but not when you are going to be my President. I don't care what you say Obama shares radical and racist alligiance. That my friend, is not the American Way. I hope that answers your question.

Posted by: velowl | November 4, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Was some early election results leaked accidently by diebold?

Did Huckabee vote for Obama?

Posted by: pastor123 | November 4, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Let's all play a fun game

Please list all of BHO's past affiliates - the people with whom he's worked, palled around with, given money to, politically supported, etc. who are completely mainstream.

Note: those who are convicted felons, those with alleged links to organized crime, those who are being investigated by the FBI, those who are largely unrepentant terrorists, those who are racists, etc. etc. are not "completely mainstream".

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | November 4, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Dear velowl,
Can you please englighten all of us and explain to us what are the "true" "American values." If Obama wins today, it is a confirmation of the true American values. He personafies the American dream. Someone who came from modest means, son of an immigrant, a person with a funny sounding name, a black man with a white mother and grandparents who raised him. He worked his way through college and obtained a good education with the hope of eventually living a good and stable life. That person went on to become the President of the United States. The first black president. That story is the True successful American Story. As American as apple pie. I don't know for the life of me, how his values are not American. I think my friend, that you and the rest of the right wingers have no real understanding of what being an American is. It means working hard to make sure your children have a better life than you, it means being tolerant of others, it means contributing to society when your country needs you, it means let others live the way they want to live, it means to keep a watchful eye on the government to make sure it does not overstep its authority in a way that deprives us freedom, it means to support policies that give you the freedom and the tools for you to achieve your dreams by allowing you to function at your fullest potential. I have not heard anything from Obama's campaign that contradicts those values. Quite the contrary, his policies reafirm those values.
The Republicans have lost their way. They have been hijacked by narrow, single minded people who have imposed their definition of patriotism upon the entire Party. I was once a Republican because I believed in smaller government, but that doesn't mean that some one who believes otherwise is unpatriotic. The current republicans that control the republican party mistakenly misconstrue patriotism to mean that you support every policy advanced by the government. This, however, runs counter with true American values, of questioning government policies, to speak out against the wrongs our government commits...afterall, our country was founded on the principle that we should be able to point out the flaws of our government to encourage free debate and dialogue without fearing reprisal from the government or the majority. Our founding fathers broke off from England because they could not exercise those very same rights. Surely, so called republicans are not claiming that the founding fathers are unpatriotic, are they?.

Posted by: Danny_20852 | November 4, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

One Last Audacious Hope- Poll Inaccuracy

Pollsters ponder racial bias among U.S. voters - and in their own polls
By Kate Zernike Published: October 12, 2008
International Herald Tribune

Three weeks to Election Day, and polls project a victory, possibly a big one, for Barack Obama.

Yet everywhere, anxious Democrats wring their hands. They have seen this Lucy-and-the-football routine before, and they are just waiting for their ball to be snatched away, the foiled Charlie Browns again. Remember how the exit polls in 2004 predicted President John Kerry?

The anxiety is more acute this year, because Obama is the first African-American major-party presidential nominee. And even pollsters say they cannot be sure how accurately polls capture people's feelings about race, or how forthcoming Americans are in talking about a black candidate.

In recent days, nervous Obama supporters have traded worry about a survey - widely disputed by pollsters yet voraciously consumed by the politically obsessed - that concluded racial bias would cost Obama six percentage points in the final outcome. He is, of course, about six points ahead in current polls. See? He's going to lose.

If he does, it would not be the first time that polls have overstated support for an African-American candidate. Since 1982, people have talked about the Bradley effect, where even last-minute polls predict a wide margin of victory, yet the black candidate goes on to lose, or win in a squeaker. (In the case that lent the phenomenon its name, Tom Bradley, the mayor of Los Angeles, lost his race for governor, the assumption being that voters lied to pollsters about their support for an African-American.)

Kohut conducted a study in 1997 looking at differences between people who readily agreed to be polled and those who agreed only after one or more call-backs. Reluctant participants were significantly more likely to have negative attitudes toward blacks - 15 percent said they had a "very favorable" attitude toward them, as opposed to 24 percent of the ready respondents. "The kinds of people suspicious of surveys are also more intolerant," Kohut said.

Posted by: thecannula | November 4, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

@coolpillow

No need to comment on your rant. However, you will have the opportunity to vote in the 20010 election. During the 1964 election, people of your persuasion had the option of emigrating to South Africa and Australia, though as 1966 and 1968 shows none, regretably did. Now since the World has improved somewhat, YOU have no place to go, while WE will always have Canada. My regards to KofZ if he is lurking. And YES WE CAN!!

Posted by: adhardwick | November 4, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Why do you only look at ayres through the republican talking point lens?

When a reporter asked mccain about his own associations with convicted felon, assassin, and all around bad guy G. Gordon Liddy, Mccain immediately said, "he's paid his debt to society." and that is all mccain would say from that point on about liddy.

but so has ayres. he is a college professor, well liked, man of the year in chicago... and his activist acts against the vietnam war were over 40 years ago....

Let's be fair, folks.

Posted by: dkliman | November 4, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I just voted and for the first time in my life I felt like I wasn't voting for a President, it felt more like voting for GOOD vs. EVIL. No matter who you support, I bet you can guess who I voted for...

Posted by: velowl | November 4, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

And that "guy from the neighborhood" came in and voted with Louis Farrakhan.
Great neighborhood.
Farrakhan says Obama is The Messiah and that Judaism is a "gutter religion."

This just in:
The polls are media driven- and as we all know, the media has been in the tank for Obama since the beginning.

I have faith the American people will see through the fraud that is Obama and will vote for a true American hero, with American values.

NOT for a man who thinks the Consitution needs to be re-written HIS way- because the founding fathers got it wrong.
The arrogance.
His inexperience and shallowness is frightening. His elitist, two-faced, empty rhetoric is abominable.
His associations- past and present- are nefarious.
And Michelle thinks "America is a downright mean country."
God save us!

McCain-Palin 2008
Cast YOUR precious vote for John McCain- or it may be the last free election you are able to participate in.
No Marxism.