Clinton Won't Seek Recovery of Millions She Loaned Campaign

Then-Sen. Barack Obama, gestures for time as then-Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton responds to a question during a Democratic primary presidential debate in Los Angeles. (Chris Carlson/Associated Press)

By Michael D. Shear
Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton has formally given up hope of recovering about $13 million she loaned her failed presidential campaign, according to campaign finance reports filed today.

The decision formalizes what Clinton has said for months: that she will not seek repayment for the money that she and her husband, former president Bill Clinton, invested in her White House bid.

But Clinton still owes $6.4 million to vendors that her campaign used during the extended primary battle with then-Sen. Barack Obama. As of Nov. 30, she still owed about $5 million to Mark Penn, her chief strategist and pollster.

Clinton has made strides in paying off her campaign debt, the documents show. She paid media consultant Mandy Grunwald $58,000. And she finished paying her former spokesman, Howard Wolfson, $200,000.

But the clock is ticking. Once she is confirmed as Obama's secretary of state, she will be barred from raising money to pay off the debt. And she still owes plenty to vendors.

Her debts include: $168,437.66 for insurance, more than $750,000 for printing and $3,411 to a bakery in New York.

By Web Politics Editor  |  December 22, 2008; 6:14 PM ET
Categories:  Hillary Rodham Clinton , The Green Zone
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Paparazzi Photog Gets a 'Pec-tacular' Obama Shot
Next: Obama Report on Blagojevich Contacts Set for Release Tues.

Comments

I THINK HILLARY CLINTON IS A BRILLIANT INDIVIDUAL, HIGHLY EXPERIENCED, WHO WILL DO A GREAT JOB AS SECRETARY OF STATE. HOWEVER, IF SHE AND HER HUSBAND HAVE $109 MILLION OR $109,IT SHOULD BE CLEAR TO THEM THAT PAYING THEIR BILLS IS THEIR PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. POLITICIANS HAVE THE ODD NOTION THAT IT IS OKAY TO OWE PEOPLE MONEY BECAUSE THEY RAN FOR PUBLIC OFFICE. I'M A HILLARY FAN. BUT I ALSO RAN A BUSINESS. AND THE FIRST PEOPLE I PAID,WHEN BUSINESS WAS BAD, WERE THE VENDORS---SMALL BUSINESS PEOPLE. THESE PEOPLE CAN'T AFFORD TO FINANCE THE DEBTS RUN UP BY OTHERS. I WAS SKINNED ONE TIME WHEN I DID SOME WORK FOR A POLITICIAN WHO TOLD ME HE COULDN'T PAY ME BECAUSE HE NEEDED MONEY FOR HIS NEXT CAMPAIGN. I RESPONDED THAT ON THAT BASIS, IF HE CONTINUED TO RUN FOR OFFICE HE WOULD OWE EVERYBODY IN THE COUNTRY. HE FINALLY PAID WHEN HE WAS EMBARRASSED BY A NEWS STORY I INSTIGATED ABOUT HIS NONPAYMENT OF ME AND OTHERS.SY L

Posted by: sy2477 | December 25, 2008 5:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lloth8 | December 23, 2008 1:50 PM
======================================

are you kidding? You don't think she hasn't tried to dump this on anybody but herself? If there was a way for we the tax payers to pay off her vanity run believe me now... believe me later, she would have. You don't get $106 million in six years as a Senator by paying your own way for anything, and IF there was ultimately it would be a write-off. So there you go, the Clinton's will write it down, then off on we the taxpayers through the tax code.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | December 23, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty funny, in a pathetic sort of way, that some are using the fact that Clinton has chosen to bear her own financial losses as an excuse to smear her. I suppose you would rather she attempted to unload it on the taxpayers back. But oh no, just the mention of her name is enough to get the Clinton Derangement Syndrome crowd going.

On another note, Clinton helped secure $20 billion in disaster relief funds for NY after 9/11.

Posted by: Lloth8 | December 23, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Ouch. As a printer, I see 3/4 of a million that has not been paid, and it makes me cringe. I hope they finally get their money.

Posted by: biggirl90 | December 23, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

c'mon Leon, that's what the boards are about. I mean for example the FACT that when Rodham Clinton went with her racist dog whistle strategy (hard working white people) and attempt to turn the African American church into Black Liberation she alienated the very American's she would need to get re-elected in New York. I know it upsets you to mention that Rodham Clinton has lost the black vote... but it is a FACT. As for or ongoing financial money grubbing, er, fundraising.... well we were told by her faithful supporters at P.U.M.A. (Party Unity My Butt) that THEY would take care of HRC's debt. What happened? With $109 million at a minimum that she and her husband have in Wall Street Hedge Funds.... she should not have to sell her seat to the highest bidder.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | December 23, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Once again, Hillary exits the diner and leaves no tip! Like I told a friend, any vendor or eatery that does anything for the Clintons on credit deserves what they get for their stupidity! Surely Hillary and Bill go nowhere until the check is cleared! If only people treated democrats the way democrats treat people they'd vote differently!

Posted by: vgailitis | December 23, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

"Clinton Won't Seek Recovery of Millions She Loaned Campaign."

She had better not; she chose to stay in the race, spending money her campaign didn't have, even when every indication was that she was going to lose the nomination.

She should have admitted defeat and bowed out gracefully, saving the country--and herself--some money and dignity.

This is the price of political ambition in real monetary terms, and I'm happy that it won't be yet another bill paid for by taxpayers. Let this be a lesson.

Posted by: poortrekker | December 23, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Leon,

Please name some of these great moves she made to benefit the State of NY while Senator. I will assume you either did or still live in NYC. I lived in Upstate NY for part of her term and can tell you she delivered nothing, other than some tax credits for a scam mall they are building in Syracuse. She was a friend of Wall St. and their big campaign donations and look where that got us and the State of NY. Lets face it, if it weren't for Guiliani getting prostate cancer in 2000, she never would have won. Rick Lazio didn't have a chance in hell.

I didn't vote for her over Obama because according to the news I read, she was nothing more than a Senator who came out of the woodwork for signing ceremonies and photo ops. Health care reform in AR is fine, but her health care attempt on the national stage fell flat out the gate. Maybe she should have gone back to AR and ran for the governor's mansion.

Schumer does plenty of photo ops and TV shows, but he is often working on something that might actually be in the interest of NY families.

While your 24 years of efforts are commendable, I have only been alive for 2 more years than that, so I can't claim the same level of commitment. What I can claim is that I voted for someone who I thought gave us the best shot for a country united behind the President. After all these years of Bush hating by...almost everyone. Imagine what having a unifying force could do. Like Reagan or not, but he brought people together during his first term. The only candidate that could have polarized this country more as President would have been if Dick Cheney ran for the big seat.

Posted by: BurtReynolds | December 23, 2008 5:50 AM | Report abuse

Leon, a "great" senator? "Great" is a word applicable to Sir Thomas More and Sir Winston Churchill, hardly to a senator as little accomplished as Clinton (who only obtained and then maintained power by staying with an philandering husband). Name one significant legislative achievement, please.

Still, I take satisfaction not only in pointing to her weak worth, weak in spite of it being eagerly overhyped by libs like you and a handful of leftist "news"papers, but also in the fact that her $100-plus millions in her bank account can never erase the evil in her heart and in her irreparably ugly face and cackle.

Posted by: Penny1212 | December 23, 2008 5:47 AM | Report abuse

Leon,

And you thought only right wing was hateful and dumb.

Posted by: kevin1231 | December 23, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | December 23, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Wow- I hate to use this forum to hurl insults but what a bunch of phony, ignorant know nothings are posting all of this HRC hatred stuff. Why don't you mysogynists go seek therapy to resolve your hatred of powerful women?

She is a great senator and was far more qualified than the current president elect, who I was a field organizer for in two states after she dropped out. Her policy proposals were more ambitiously progressive than his- she has a history of doing things more than running for office- health and education reform in Arkansas, for example- not just getting her name on other people's bills for the last 2 of 8 years in the state senate in order to have a record or in the national senate. What is it that you actually have against her? He ran just as dirty a campaign as she did- and I will give you examples if you need.

You are a bunch of bandwagon jumping, political neophytes who probably voted for Bush in 00 or 04 or didn't vote. I have been a progressive activist for 24 years and am sick of all of you bad mouthing the woman who got just as many votes as you guy did, and then instead of acting like Edward Kennedy and bringing down the party- helped to get him elected.

You all make me sick.

Leon

Posted by: nycLeon | December 22, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I see that the gullible and hateful liberal crowd is still at it. Never mind that Obama is simply re-appointing a lot of the Clinton administration and is perhaps to more right of the center than even Clinton would have appointed. I am delighted by the Obama victory as well. However, my reasons are different from the hateful group here.

Posted by: kevin1231 | December 22, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

this is all george bush's fault

Posted by: charlietuna6661 | December 22, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Good. She was stupid enough to bet on a loser. She shouldn't be bailed out for making a poor choice with her money. Plus, I am sure she will more than make up for it when she is done being a terrible Sec. of State. I say that being someone who voted a straight Democrat ticket this year. Obama winning made me happy. Reid/Pelosi still holding power and Hillary Clinton joining the cabinet make me fear for this country's future.

Posted by: BurtReynolds | December 22, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Difficult to shed any tears for Billary. Any two people who can garner more than $109,000,000 in less than six years needs no help from anyone in paying their bills. What I really find objectionable is that the vendors, not part of her campaign, seem to be at the bottom of her "to-do list" of people to pay. Bad form, Billary, bad form.

Posted by: marine2211 | December 22, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

The Clinton campaign famously stiffed service providers all over the country. It went on about the same time that we all heard about their net worth. Plus all those speeches about helping the working people and blah blah quack quack. I'll be there for you. I'll take care of you. Well, that did not help the campaign. It was considered poor management and untrustworthy speechifying. Had we not all seen the Clinton net worth over 109 million at that moment, and heard about the quarter million and half million dollar speaking fees for the former president, the Clinton campaign debt might have reached more sympathetic ears. But everything converged to make it sort of an expenditure she could afford. And not to pay the little vendors state to state, not to respond to their invoices after using their services, extremely bad form. The worst.

Posted by: GaiasChild | December 22, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

If bankruptcy proceedings were commenced against Hillary would she be precluded from being in Obama's cabinet?

If I provide goods and services to someone I expect them to pay me promptly.

Posted by: robertjames1 | December 22, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Pahleeze!

Billary will pocket twice that much in the first five minutes of their role of Secretary of State(President in Fact!)

Might not be able to pocket it until 2012, but just like the MILLIONS Slick already pocketed from before, the Billions are coming!

Those who fail to learn from the Past;

are Doomed to repeat the mistakes in the Future! :-(