Democratic Senate Supermajority Stays Out of Reach

By Ben Pershing
Today's front pages look less like a series of news dispatches and more like Craigslist, filled with news of people winning, losing and seeking new jobs, whether in the Senate, the Cabinet or Detroit.

In Georgia, Saxby Chambliss won the nod from voters to keep his post as the state's senior senator after a runoff election said to be fraught with symbolism. Barack Obama had given Jim Martin a recommendation for the job but declined to do so in person, a decision that probably wouldn't have affected the outcome anyway. (Chambliss won by roughly 16 points after outpolling Martin by just 3 points a month ago.)

In the process, Republicans denied Harry Reid's bid to head a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. That makes the never-ending battle between Norm Coleman and Al Franken in Minnesota somewhat less important, which may be a good thing given how confusing the recount has been. For the record, Coleman is now up by 303 votes. Or it could be much less. Let's just move on.

Continue reading at Political Browser»

By Web Politics Editor  |  December 3, 2008; 8:43 AM ET
Categories:  The Rundown
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gates Echoes Obama Call for 'Responsible' Troop Drawdown, Stops Short of Backing Timetable
Next: Obama Gives Political Ambassadors Their Pink Slips

Comments

What part of "count all the votes" do you not understand?

Posted by: JohnQuimby | December 3, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Hubert Humphrey was subjected to a vile election campaign by a master of vile campaigning, Richard Nixon.

Al Franken's campaign was worse than Richard Nixon's.

Hubert Humphrey was a fairminded individual and he would of never stood for the type of camapaign ran by Al Franken!

Posted by: mwhoke | December 3, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Wrong again, because I watch CNN.

Posted by: JakeD | December 3, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Jake D was misleading us again. see:

JakeD just has a different idea of what fair and square means. That is because he listens to Fox News, I suppose.

Posted by: Gator-ron | December 3, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

mwhoke

Your assertion that you you know what Hubert Humphry would have done shows that you have little respect for the reader at this site. Although this post is no more absurd than most of your others, I chose this one to comment on because its frivolousness is so obvious. Serious discussion always trumps hyperbole

This MN race has taught me something about politics in 2008.

Posted by: Gator-ron | December 3, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Ben Pershing:

How "pompous" of you to say it's time to move on. I should have never agreed with you in the first place.

Posted by: JakeD | December 3, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

JakeD

You have no standing to determine whether Coleman is the victor. In the final outcome I think it is the Senate. They will decide if it was fair and square. Although I do not know the legal issues involved, I have sufficient familiarity with you sense of justice to know that it is completely clouded by your own self interest.

Your pronouncement that Obama will not be inaugurated on January 20, 2009 is pompous because you do not feel it is necessary to justify the basis on which that statement is made. I personally am not interested in your reasoning so if you give it. it should be as an expression of your nascent humility.

Posted by: Gator-ron | December 3, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I agree --Coleman won fair and square -- let's move on.

Posted by: JakeD | December 3, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA'S CO-OPT CITY:
Making Sense of Hillary as SecState

Posted by: scrivener50 | December 3, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I am a resident of Browerville, Minnesota and I hope that Al Franken is not allowed to steal the election.

Franken ran the nastiest and divisive campaign in the history of Minnesota.

Hubert Humphrey would of voted for Norm Coleman after he saw the ads that Franken ran!

Posted by: mwhoke | December 3, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse