The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Inauguration Week

White House Says Cheney to Be in Wheelchair Tuesday

Vice President Cheney will be in a wheelchair for tomorrow's inauguration ceremony, the White House said tonight, after he pulled a muscle in his back.

Cheney was moving into his new house in McLean from the Naval Observatory when he hurt his back moving boxes, White House Press Secretary Dana Perino said.

The vice president's doctor found no significant damage from the injury, Perino said. Nevertheless, he advised Cheney to spend the next couple of days in a wheelchair.

"The vice president is looking forward to being there for tomorrow's historic inaugural activities," Perino said.

Posted at 8:23 PM ET on Jan 19, 2009  | Category:  Inauguration Week
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Along U Street, Embracing the 'Obamanomics Hustle' | Next: Defense Secretary Will Skip Inauguration

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I really thought the Obots would back off once their guy was President. No more threats of "blood in the streets", no more threats of what the would do to women, no more trash talk.

Guess it was too much to hope for that they would change their stripes.

Let's see how Obama backs them up.

Obama is supposed to be leading the biggest country in the world and he is still backed by trash talkers who cannot accept that their man is now president. What the hell is wrong with them? Learn how to accept the win and behave like responsible people.

Posted by: letscheck | January 21, 2009 1:53 AM

How apropos. Dick Cheney, dressed in black with that black hat looked like Don Guido, the mafia Don. Not far from the truth for the worst Vice President in US History.

Adios, Dick. Go back to Wyoming and work on your aim.

Posted by: billtoner | January 20, 2009 10:09 PM

The way so many of you talk and critic everyone , it is a surprise we dont have another civil war going on . USA can be the most benevolent and powerful nation on this planet : IF you stop the bickering , stop the accusations , stop the blaming .
It is a national disgrace to us all . We have a new President , we think he is the best there is , he is able and empowered and admired around the world . Stop with the redneck attitudes , the put downs and everything to make his Presidence a victory
He was the best choice for us ( we think )
Dont make Obamas victory appear less by
reducing the former Presidency and Government . At least they served >>>HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE ??? Or are even able to do so ...reading these comments I dont think either one would measure up .
Pres. Bush thank you for having served

Posted by: erichk1 | January 20, 2009 3:27 PM

I'm not leaving until the Good Lord calls me home. And, I don't "hate" anyone enough to call them "cretins" ; )

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 3:00 PM

Appalling comments by cretins like "DemsHateAmerica" and others. First of all, if you'd actually been watching, our esteemed Chief Justice flubbed the Oath. THAT Bush-appointee couldn't get a 35-word oath right and embarassed the President. Secondly, Democrats don't hate America, and if you think that you are completely delusional. Third, we are all in this together, and if Obama doesn't succeed, we are in serious trouble.

I can't believe the hate and STUPIDITY that continues in this country. Get over it, or leave.

Posted by: Touchstone1 | January 20, 2009 2:40 PM

mewindows:

Roberts "tried" to trip him up? Looks like it worked ...

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 2:19 PM

Ahhhh, I see a lot of Bushies and Repugnants venting their frustrations and anger at Obama, even before he has been sworn in. We understand your M-I-S-E-R-Y and your ardent desire for Obama to fail - -

What - A - Bunch - Of - Looooooooosers, you all are !!!

It amazes me how y'all can rave and rant after having 'served up' your disastrous, worst President ever, Mr 'CHIMPY' for the last eight years !!

Keep doing what you are doing and you will remain a permanent minority for a loooong time !!!!!

BTW, y'all can 'sing - the - blues', in your own private holes - -

Posted by: mewindows | January 20, 2009 2:19 PM

Hey you morons, just so that you will get the facts straight for once > IT WAS C/J ROBERTS WHO SCREWED UP and tried to 'trip up' P-R-E-S-I-D-E-N-T OBAMA who was sharp to pick it up - -

Dick in a W/C after ''spraining his back'' lifting boxses ???!! WHAT - A - CROCK !!!!!!!
Good riddance !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mewindows | January 20, 2009 2:16 PM

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 1:41 PM

When I heard that "Dick Cheney will attends in a wheel chair" it didn't sound right. "Very bad heart, very over weight and with very much help around to lift a box". Maybe he just didn't want to 'standup' for his (Commander-in-CHIEF).. (Or his predecessor);-)
Gene De.

Posted by: genede | January 20, 2009 1:17 PM

Exactly! Was that oath even legal?! "... that I do execute the Office of President, faithfully ..." LOL!

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 1:15 PM

BWAAHAHAHA! OBAMA FLUBS THE OATH OF OFFICE!

THIS CLOWN IS NOT READY TO LEAD THIS GREAT NATION.

God god, what a rookie. The man is a sham. A total FRAUD. A media invention. An empty suit.

Even Bush can recite the oath of office perfectly.

Posted by: DemsHateAmerica | January 20, 2009 12:54 PM

Bob Dylan's song "Masters of War" provides a certain depiction of Mr. Cheney.

"Let me ask you one question
Is your money that good
Will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could
I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul"

Posted by: washingtonpost22 | January 20, 2009 12:52 PM

We who are privileged to live in Wyoming will heartily welcome Vice President Cheney back to our glorious state after serving his President and his country with honor, wisdom and humility. May God bless he and his family. Welcome Home, Mr. Cheney.

Posted by: Rbeca | January 20, 2009 12:32 PM

Obama becoming President. NO WAY!!

Cheney won't stand for it!!!

Posted by: streetwise1 | January 20, 2009 11:53 AM

The best news I heard all day...

Unfortunately it was not severe enough for the POS........!

Posted by: Snoop2 | January 20, 2009 11:44 AM

Dr. Strangelove?

Posted by: dw438 | January 20, 2009 11:36 AM

So far we have seen Obama's inordinate amount of charisma, and little else. (I mean where is the long list of accomplishments and experience that one typically attributes to president-elects?)

What is done is done. He won the election. I pray that he will now be able to demonstrate to the nation and the world that he has the "right stuff" to belong in the office to which he has been elected.
All of us should be clear that to do this he will need far more than just his charisma and eloquence. For one he will need a strong backbone to withstand the intense public pressure to change unpopular decisions even when they may very well be the right ones to make. (Those old enough will remember Jimmy Carter was sorely lacking in this respect.)

Barack Obama will soon be President. As my president I sincerely pray that he has what it takes to guides us through these exceptionally difficult times. I am rooting for him. God Bless America.

Posted by: tskm | January 20, 2009 11:16 AM

I'm overwhelmed with the compasion,hope and inclusion from all you hatefull lefties. You continue to sight how hateful the right is, but reading your comments, it's obvious who the real small minded haters are, you're truly ideological Nazi's. May you reap what you sow.

Posted by: KBarry1901 | January 20, 2009 11:14 AM

The present Republican party screamed ethos is far from true Republicans ideals. True Republicans don't care if someone burns a flag, or what they do in the privacy of their own homes, or what folks worship, and they certainly don't spend like drunken sailors, or violate individual liberties. A true Republican says 'do whatever you want, worship whatever you want, etc.' - what do I care? As long as you do not unduly impose yourself on our community and effect me and my right to whatever I want in return. True Republicans want smaller government, states rights, freedom from religious persecution, freedom from search and seizure (wire tapping) and the long arm of the government. Many Republicans are by far a greater danger to the Republican Party than the Democrats. True Republicans are also pragmatic. Obama is President for 4 years and these will be a pivotal 4 years which will require an united effort.

Posted by: MatthewC1 | January 20, 2009 11:03 AM

In the 1920s and 30s, the brilliant Austrian film director Fritz Lang created classic films that featured the wonderful German character actor Rudolf Klein-Rogge in several memorable, villainous roles. Klein-Rogge was the evil mad scientist Rotwang in “Metropolis” (1927) who creates the iconic Futura (False Maria) robot. He was Doctor Mabuse, the evil genius who controlled a vast criminal empire in “Dr. Mabuse: Der Spieler / Inferno” (1922) and who was resurrected as an immortal evil spirit in “Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse” (1933). Finally, Klein-Rogge portrayed the evil, wheelchair-bound master spy (and part-time clown!) Haghi who ruled an espionage network in “Spione” (Spies) (1928). Common threads in these chilling characterizations were of course, “evil”, mind control and world domination.

Both Fritz Lang and Rudolf Klein-Rogge passed away long ago, but just think if these classic films were remade today. Former Vice President Dick Cheney is so perfectly suited for these parts; in fact he was born to play them! With his menacing icy glare, crooked smirk, low-register grumbling and cold-blooded temperament, Cheney is evil incarnate! In fact, Cheney ruled Bush’s White House much as did the spectral Dr. Mabuse control the insane asylum. And now that Cheney winds up in a wheelchair – he is the very personification of the evil Haghi! How perfect!! … You can’t make this stuff up!

Previous posts mentioned his likeness to Old Man Potter from “It’s a Wonderful Life” (1946) and from Blofeld from the James Bond movies. I agree! Seems to me that, now that Dick Cheney is without work (thank goodness and rood riddance!), he can really carve out a future as an evil, villainous and entirely despicable character actor. And best of all, he needs no training or acting lessons!

Posted by: stevemko | January 20, 2009 10:58 AM

Ummm... Cheney is moving to McLean? What does this mean? Why has he given up on Wyoming. Why? Is it because he no longer needs the help of the reddest of red states to get elected? Or is it because he wants to be close to Langly, the home of his beloved CIA? We need a good investigative reporter on this.

Posted by: allanwest | January 20, 2009 10:57 AM

God bless Dick Cheney for the curage he showed during his time in the George Bush administration. As we enter into the age of "enlightenment" I pray that somewhere somehow there will be a future leader learning that it takes a spinal column to be a leader of a nation full of followers of false gods. God truly was somewhere behind the writing of our great Constitution, and I'm sure that God will somehow see that it remains intact after the new administration is finished with its desecration.

Posted by: RightStuff | January 20, 2009 10:49 AM

Always good to see the mindless Fox Fake News and whack job radio sheep in the house. How much crack do you have to smoke to think these guys did a good job for the last 8 years? This guy made Jimmy Carter look like a genius. It will take decades to restore America to it's rightful place after this debacle. Better fire up another bowl, you idiots.

Posted by: Original1 | January 20, 2009 10:34 AM

Cheney "earned" his money by skimming it from the wealth REAL laborers created. Even I have done more actual work to extract oil from the earth than Cheney.

Under so-called conservative leadership this country has regressed to state where productive workers are poor, and leeching financiers, who produce nothing, get insanely rich.

Now the people have had enough.

Instead of whining about your war criminal leaders losing elections (actually this makes three times), you reactionary money grubbing misanthropic flag-huggers need to learn how to do real work and actually contribute something for a change. The world doesn't owe you a living.

Posted by: rooster54 | January 20, 2009 10:30 AM

I read all of these comments before I wrote anything, and just as I thought, I found evidence of "change" here.

I found that even before obama's rendering his oath, "compassionate conservatism" has been replaced by the kind of hatred that Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid have been spewing for months, except that now it's even worse, and more "mainstream".

No liberal here has remembered Sandy Berger's "sock error" in actually being caught taking documents from the National Archives and "accidentally" shredding them, which he ADMITTED to. Instead, they are accusing Cheney of doing this without ANY proof, while Berger is seen on VIDEOTAPE stuffing papers into his pants and socks! (Guess THAT was okay, right?!)

The level of vitriol expressed against both Bush and Cheney is amazing, especially when liberals scream "racism" at the people who are asking obama to just produce a BIRTH CERTIFICATE - never mind the fact that all of his other important records are SEALED TOO. No one has been allowed to see his school or college records, his state bar records, any of his Harvard Law Review articles, medical records, you name it - he's SEALED it!

Yes, just as in Nancy Pelosi's claim to be ushering in the "most ethical Congress ever", we are about to be hoodwinked again - and this time, it isn't funny!

How many of you have heard that a Democratic Congressman has introduced legislation to repeal the 22nd Amendment?
That's the one that limits Presidents to only TWO terms as President! (Think I'm kidding?

Conservative source:

And for those of you who think this story of the potential repeal of Amendment 22 is just a "Republican lie", here's the link from the Daily Kos:

www.dailykos.com/story/2005/6/14/22528/1525

Looks like someone just MIGHT be up to something a bit less than savory here....

Posted by: jammies | January 20, 2009 10:30 AM

I love all of these caring liberals; such open-mindedness and "nuance". I can only hope to attain just half of the tolerance these individuals possess. My what it must be like to be a know-it-all self-righteous person--never responsible or accountable for much of anything, but yet stil fully aware of what should and should not be done at any given time. One thing I do know for sure, had there been another terrorist attack in the U.S. over the past 7+ years, nobody was going to knock on these liberal posters' doors and ask them how they could have allowed it to happen again. I cannot say the same for Cheney and Bush.

Posted by: eabra48463 | January 20, 2009 10:28 AM

Personally, I like and respect Mr. Cheney. He is one of the most straight-talking politicians I have ever seen. When he is asked a question, he answers it directly and without pretense. Too many other politicos, Obama included, are always measuring their words, seemingly trying to come across as best they can. There is, however, a certain disingenuous to this approach. Dick Cheney is an intelligent, articulate and passionate leader. I'm sure liberals do not like him, but that does not make him a bad person. In fact, in my book, it makes him that much better.

Posted by: eabra48463 | January 20, 2009 10:23 AM

A lot of vitriol here which apparently is the world of blog and politics. Reasonable and mature people can differ without hyperbole and intransigence. The Bush years - there have been no further attacks and his administrations should be commended for this near miracle; Iraq was/is a disaster. Both can be true. Wise folks calculate their actions in relation to the outcomes of their actions. Cheney was not my cup of tea - though no point in tearing him down now, or even building him up. Today and tomorrow should be our focus. There exists a chance for us to redefine our interactions in pursuit of our 85% shared mutual goals. We are not as divided as our politics would make us believe. I grew up in DC. Things were never this personal, or acerbic, or misleading. I am fairly certain our new anger does not serve our general good. Let's thank the Bush administration for its cooperation in the transition, and let's wish President Obama a successful term - it is in our best interest.

Posted by: MatthewC1 | January 20, 2009 10:22 AM

I have read some of the most ignorant comments. You people know nothing! In three years you will be praying that G.W.B. was still president. The policies that Obama will put in place will ruin any chance that the economy will recover. He WILL establish a police state. You will notice the training camps that he will ask for. This is the beginning of the police state.
The future population of this country will be controlled through the National Health Care that all of you are so crazy about acquiring. It is called eugenics! Enjoy your life, if you can.

Posted by: Aldinsgirl | January 20, 2009 2:41 AM

-------------------------------------------

Yeah, sweetie, you're probably right.

In three years I'll be praying for GWB to be president again.

By then I'll probably have a job and will be so pissed about going to work every day that I'll pray for some more of that GWB, neo-con infused trickle down economics so that I can stay at home again. Like a lot of my neighbors that used to have jobs.

Yeah, I'll probably be real sad about getting back some of the money that my 401(k) lost during the last couple of years. I will really be distressed if I get it ALL back and have to pay taxes on it.

Yeah, you're right. When that b@stard Obama starts doing things to get this country back to where it was before Bush, why, we'll see EXACTLY how great it was under GWB. To think that we misunderestimated him.

Posted by: dennissuper | January 20, 2009 10:10 AM

Hey Termlimits, you pray for people to die? You are a sad sack of humanity that does not even deserve your god.

Posted by: TMFB | January 20, 2009 10:04 AM

The evidence based treatment for acute back pain is remain active, walk... Mr Cheney is respectful enough to comply with restrictions that will delay his recovery.

Posted by: realclearconfusion | January 20, 2009 10:01 AM

I find all of this extremely sad! Not that Cheney will be in a wheelchair, but that society as a whole has become so disrespectful of people in general that they could be so full of hate about one person as to want to take his life. This is such a sad statement of what this country has come to. Somewhere along the lines these people parents didn't love them enough to teach them right from wrong and that a single persons life simply isn't important anymore. I did not vote for Obama and quite honestly I am scared for our country, HOWEVER, I would never wish harm to that man or his family. In fact, it is in my best interest to hope that he will be a successful President. I do not mean to be successful in liberalizing this country, but successful in keeping her safe. Why don't the rest of you haters take a good long look at life, what is your purpose here, why were you chosen to be here on this earth? You probably can't really say. Find a purpose for your life and learn how to love and value someone.

Posted by: AzChris1 | January 20, 2009 9:59 AM

I do pray that all the bad things you left leaning lunatics wish on Cheney and Bush happens to the half breed and his azzclown Biden. Hey Osama? You will never have a better chance old buddy. Several million scum all in one place.

Posted by: termlimits | January 20, 2009 9:51 AM

He should still be prosecuted for promoting and permitting torture.

Posted by: rmyurick | January 20, 2009 9:50 AM

Thanks, President Bush and VP Cheney for keeping us safe for 8 years. You may not have done everything right, but then who has, and you did not deserve to be vilified in the way that you have. All the best to you as you enter this new phase of life. And all the best to our new President Obama as he takes the reigns to lead this nation. He will soon find out how difficult these decisions can be to make when you are in that office compared to being on the outside being second-guessed by every Monday morning pundit around.

Posted by: stever2258 | January 20, 2009 9:24 AM

The world has grown-ups and kids. Cheney is a grown-up. His critics are kids.

Posted by: ryvalentine | January 20, 2009 9:23 AM

Obama is the President of all 57 states.

Starting today, everything will be OK in the world; his mentally ill sycophants in the media will make sure of that. The Iraq conflict will now be noble. The US economy really ain't that bad after all.

Get ready for the tumult...

Posted by: rockman2257 | January 20, 2009 9:22 AM

Ahhh, BDS; alive and well in Amerika.

Posted by: tcogs | January 20, 2009 9:22 AM

DemsHateAmerica: Another great post by you. TY!
Don't forget the blatant and very obvious lack of investigations into the CRA, ACORN, FANNIE AND FREDDIE, and the bullying of lenders to make bad or very risky loans to the Democrat voter base. Dodd, Frank, Wm. Jefferson, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and the list goes on and on, they all investigations for their crimes.

Posted by: ricardo4max | January 20, 2009 9:14 AM

One wonders why all the sufferers of Bush Derangement Syndrome hate VP Cheney so much.
Is it because he is so intelligent, successful, accomplished, sure of himself, strong but not loud or arrogant... Perhaps it is because the liberal left wing losers are jealous and resentful. Perhaps it is because VP Cheney can easily see through the lies and hypocrisy of the left easily and calls them out on it constantly. What ever the reason, Dick Cheney is a good man and a loyal patriot. The nasty lying left wing propaganda machine currently known as the MSM (aka drive by media) will not be successful in their attempts at revisionist history for President Bush or VP Cheney.
It's time to purge our country of anti-Americans and anti-Constitutional enemies within. It's time to educate our children properly about our history and how and why this country was founded. Teach them why we have been successful and the envy of the world for centuries. And we should especially teach them how dangerous and devastating socialism (Marxism/ communism) is to a country and a people.

Posted by: ricardo4max | January 20, 2009 9:07 AM

We'll agree to "investigate" Bush/Cheney when the Dems agree to investigate the 72 felonies of the Clintons plus the several murders tied to them. Those charges have just as much validity. And since that will be never - looks like the BDS'ers will be impotently sitting there the rest of their lives wailing and gnashing their teeth.

Every time I see a RAT bash Bush and the Republicans, it hardens my resolve to start bashing and tearing down Obama the FRAUD the second he's sworn in. So, in a few hours, the bashing starts for real. All you have seen until now is the warm up.

Face it - the nation needs to be torn apart and divided into separate areas - we will never get along. The BDS crowd will see to it that we become more divided than ever.

Selected - not elected. The Fraud is not MY president.

Posted by: DemsHateAmerica | January 20, 2009 8:33 AM

Cheney should be on the platform in leg irons, shackles and an orange jumpsuit...with his new residence not in McLean, VA, but in Guantanamo!

Posted by: orpheus2004 | January 20, 2009 8:31 AM

First. I believe that the new Vice President had the same number of Viet Nam draft deferments as Cheney did.

Second. From what I've heard the Bush/Obama transition has been the most amicable transition in recent history. The Bush's have gone out of their way to make it easier for Obama to hit the ground running.

Third. Some of you Bush/Cheney haters need to follow the example of the new president and act and speak civily about folks that you disagree with. I believe that regardless of some of the poor decisions that Bush made I believe that he made them in an attempt to protect this country.

If you feel the way you do perhaps you need to move to one of those countries in the third world where the new regime executes everone from the old regime. Get a life. You live in the USA act like you appreciate it.

Posted by: northstar62 | January 20, 2009 8:29 AM

One wonders what the vitriol-spewing haters of the past eight years will do once their targets have left office. Will they suddenly turn into loving people or will old habits die hard and will they turn on their own?

On this important day, when the best of us wish our new president the best of good fortune, it's important to see this as a part of the continuum of racial improvements that began even before TV showed an upscale black family heralded by the prophetic theme song:

Well we're movin on up,
To the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
Movin on up,
To the east side.
We finally got a piece of the pie.

That was a big step forward in race relations and it led to Obama speaking as he donned the mantle of Republican president, Abraham Lincoln.

Good luck, Mister President. Our fate rests in your (and your political appointees') hands.

Posted by: sales14 | January 20, 2009 8:23 AM

Cheney's responsible for countless people being wheelchairs, at least that reprobate war criminal can afford his.

Posted by: rooster54 | January 20, 2009 8:07 AM

He may have hurt his back while booby trapping Michael Connell's plane, or maybe he just tried to lift his ill gotten money.

Posted by: rooster54 | January 20, 2009 8:01 AM

DrJim09:

Well put. The Obamabots don't realize they handed over their freedom when their voted for this empty suit.

You want to hear what has happened to the young, brainwashed in our country:

On Laura Ingraham the show, she had a reporter going around asking questions of various people at the events on Sunday in D.C. He asked a 22-year-old, 6th grade teacher what she thought of the leader of Iran: "He seems pretty cool. He sent a letter to the president and I thought that was pretty cool." WTF? Is that not scary?

Posted by: cvicic1959 | January 20, 2009 7:46 AM

"Why don't you idiots give it a break and come up for air.

Posted by: jknosplr"

Try to be patient JK, some Americans have showed a lot of patience over the last 8 years. You can certainly persevere for a few weeks or so.

Posted by: Thatsnuts | January 20, 2009 7:24 AM

tisk, tisk, tisk..such negativity. At least he put the "suspicious items" in a box and carried them out for the whole world to see instead of stuff them in his socks and down his pants and then ditch them at a construction site like Sandy Burger.. America should trust no one on the left.

Posted by: mngriep | January 20, 2009 7:21 AM

The lunatic left and a lot of wavering voters are being led by America's Pied Piper, Barack Obama, into believing they are "free at last".

Totally bamboozled are they by the very vague idea of "change" and Bob the builder style slogans, which could mean anything to anyone at anytime.

On top of all of that the Clinton's are back with a proven liar becoming the Secretary of State.

How sad, how very, very sad....

Posted by: DrJim09 | January 20, 2009 6:55 AM

Why don't you idiots give it a break and come up for air.

Posted by: jknosplr | January 20, 2009 6:42 AM

A wheelchair is a nice touch for Cheney's image as a James Bond-style villain. To complete the picture, he might consider getting a small dog to carress while sitting in his wheelchair. Then he could sit cackling with his lopsided mouth in his underground bunker beneath Raven Rock Mountain.

Posted by: mm148896 | January 20, 2009 6:31 AM

Why is Dick Cheney attending the inauguration? It has been reported that he will be in a wheelchair. No doubt he will be covered by blankets. What will he be concealing under the blankets? By wheelchair at the ceremony, are we making a security exception to the most dangerous man in America? How close will he be allowed to get to Mr. Obama during the ceremony. Will he have a clear line of sight? How sensitive will the metal detectors at the event be? Will the Secret Service have the nerve to search Mr. Cheney if they suspect he is carrying a concealed weapon? What does an ex-vice president with a bad heart have to lose? We already know what kind of man Dick Cheney is. I think the closest he should get to the inauguration is his living room in McLean, Va.

Posted by: msmart2 | January 20, 2009 6:28 AM

I am so bitter and angry in hearing that Cheney will be allowed to attend the inauguration. While President Barack will usher in a new era of tolerance and inclusiveness, there is no need for the evil Repugs to get a seat on the platform today.

Today is all about the reality-based community of angry, bitter leftists reclaiming America from the national nightmare of Bush and Cheney.

Posted by: twin_peaks_nikki | January 20, 2009 6:22 AM

How's that political wilderness working out for you so far? Bad news: You're going to be in it for at least 4 years. Watch that wailing and gnashing of teeth. You could get a stroke if you're not careful.

Posted by: dldbug | January 20, 2009 6:06 AM

what was he packing????????? water boards?

Posted by: rksingh1987 | January 20, 2009 5:10 AM

I love the way the left makes up charges and crimes for Bush and Cheney..shows how mentally ill they really are. I wonder whats going to happen when Obama back peddles even further on all his campaign promises...

Posted by: LastExit | January 20, 2009 4:39 AM

Cheney was moving boxes, like the common folk? Yeah, right. He probably put his back out feeding incriminating documents into shredders.

Posted by: Gatsby1 | January 20, 2009 4:30 AM

I am sorry if has hurt his back. he can make amends for his misuse of power and evading his duty in Vietnam. He should do some social service for veterans. Pay back the money he made from Halliburtons to the children's fund. It wouldn't do any harm if he apologies to the Americans and the world

Posted by: rajarjames | January 20, 2009 3:27 AM

I hope the miserable old man rolls right off the stage. Or maybe someone can push him.

Posted by: MildlyDisturbed | January 20, 2009 3:15 AM

Posted by: Aldinsgirl | January 20, 2009 2:41 AM

Makes you wonder what was so
valuable in those boxes that
Cheney had to move them
his self.

Posted by: printthis | January 20, 2009 2:17 AM

It's late, but do you "loving" liberals ever listen to yourself?? I'm not a gun owner and never will be (?), but do you even begin to understand why so many people are buying guns...it's because of your hatespeak - your hatespeak...do you even begin to understand. Sadly, no you don't.
Peacelovingmoderateconservative.

Posted by: kpsherwood | January 20, 2009 2:16 AM

Lionel Barrymore as Cheney.
Damn that's funny!

It's a Wonderful Life indeed.

Sure hope he recovers from shredding...I mean MOVING all those boxes.

That's what happens when your pardon doesn't go through.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | January 20, 2009 1:50 AM

Gee, the leftist haters don't give a damn about "wanting to get along". Amerika has past the tipping point and the end is just around the corner. Time for the rats to jump ship.

Posted by: rono1 | January 20, 2009 1:15 AM

Liberals are just kids that never have grown up yet. If they are over 30 years old then there is little chance that they will ever grow up. Talk about close-minded? They have absolutely no principles or, in some cases, morals. I do go to church with a lot of liberals though and they are just mis-guided I think. They drink all the kool-aid. Most work for the government or a government school. Funny though, teachers at most of the private schools don't think the way they do. Hmmmm.

Oh well, Obamma, give it your best shot but unless you move more to the center to govern (which he will if he's even remotely successful) you will make everything much worse. Pelosi.... a real dunce. Reid.... a blooming idiot (I respectfully observe). Funny that most of the leaders now show they know nothing of history, economics, and common sense. Either that or they just don't give a crap. As for what the "public" wants, 50% don't even have a clue what's going on much less be counseled for their opinion. A majority of Obamma voters don't even know who his vice president is or can even name one accomplishment of his (except getting elected.) The latter is a trick question because he really doesn't have any prior accomplishments. He ran as a clean slate so that the "masses" could project on him what they think he stands for for them.

Just get ready libs. What goes around comes around!!

Posted by: nowanna1 | January 20, 2009 1:15 AM

Just a pulled muscle, is that all??? I guess it's too late for him to fall on his soulless head...Be afraid, be very afraid, the administration of fear makes way for its painful legacy.
BTW thanks for that combat tour, you should try it sometime...Oh, that's right! You "(I) have better things to do."

Posted by: Sadrrocks | January 20, 2009 12:51 AM

I hope you get better soon. To look at the bright side, we can say they did their best in the White House. There are a bunch of problems but we can tackle them one at a time. It is sink or swim time America.

Posted by: jimklich | January 20, 2009 12:08 AM

Hey bloggers, get serious! Ask anyone who's had a back problem, pulled muscle or whatever...it almost takes your breathe away to stand up straight or stand for any length of time! I know because I've been there. Some of you can't wait to spew your hate.I thought you all were all fuzzy and warm and loving because your Obama won. So what's your problem!!

Posted by: flchick | January 19, 2009 11:57 PM

I knew it, I knew it!!! Now Cheney's goin' to hit us up for a Workman's Compenation claim, that dog, he's old enough to collect social security, let him get it there, (but not thru Disability SSI either).

Posted by: Fishsnot | January 19, 2009 11:55 PM

Ha! Can't help but laugh about the wheelchair. He's always reminded me of lionel barrymore's crotchety old man potter, as well as the cuckholded curmudgeon jeffrey lebowski...uncanny.

Posted by: glassgal79 | January 19, 2009 11:53 PM

Obama can't wreck your economy. It's trainwrecked long before he takes the helm. But WTF does that have to do with Cheney's new wheels?
Let's stay on-topic.

Posted by: streetwise1 | January 19, 2009 11:44 PM

TonyL1, get over it. Obama is not going to investigate Cheney based on the charge that you and many others despise him. There is nothing to prosecute.

AZPaleocon, you sound nuts. Everyone is related somehow, somewhere down the line if you go back far enough.

As for Cheney, get well soon.

Posted by: dpo007 | January 19, 2009 11:42 PM

That should have said "$800,000,000,000 pork laden stimulus"

Posted by: jt007 | January 19, 2009 11:40 PM

Wash. Post comment policy: "User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. "

Comment from bigoted, Bush/Cheney hating liberal:

"How ironic--Now they can literally wheel him in. Afterwards they shoud wheel him right out into the Potomac!"

The comment policy obviously doesn't apply to Dick Cheney. Liberals have lied about him and George Bush for 8 years. Therefore, I guess I will reply with a substantive comment critical of the messiah. Now we get 4 years with a joker who has never held a real job and never accomplished anything in the real world. He has already proposed an $800,000,000 pork laden "stimulus" package to pay off public employee unions and other liberal special interest groups to whom he is beholden. He and the Democrats in congress will give us a one trillion dollar deficit in his first year. This is after 8 years of Democrats claiming to be the party of fiscal responsibility and deriding Bush for irresponsible fiscal policy (despite the fact they controlled the Senate for four of Bush's eight years and the house for two of those four years). We are headed for a trainwreck of massive inflation after this clueless neophyte gets done permanently wrecking our economy. As his chief of staff said, you can't let a good crisis go to waste and miss a chance to increase the power of the federal government.

Posted by: jt007 | January 19, 2009 11:38 PM

This is an act by Cheney. He is now scared sh...less. He knows the investigation is coming down the pike and he is now looking for people to feel sorry for him. Lately if you notice he is mostly talking about everything he authorized in Bush administration as a VP was legal but knows very well that he violated the authority. He should be investigated by a special prosecutor if found crimes committed should be indicted. I hope Obama administration will do the right thing.

Posted by: tonyL1 | January 19, 2009 11:26 PM

Be sure to count the silverware after Cheney leaves.

Posted by: rooster54 | January 19, 2009 11:24 PM

Mr. Cheney: Get better.

Mr. Obama: BAN THE ROOT CAUSE OF TORTURE...

As your first major act, please ban MORE THAN TORTURE...

...Ban policies of EXTRAJUDICIAL TARGETING AND PUNISHMENT... policies that breed torture and human rights abuses AT HOME as well as abroad.

Extrajudicial targeting and punishment allows a calculated bypass of the judicial system... paving the way for human rights abuses -- including DOMESTIC TORTURE VIA RADIATION WEAPONRY that has been and is being deployed among law enforcement, the military, and intelligence agencies.

Mr. Obama, domestic torture and physical assault by way of high-tech devices and weapons CONTINUES TO THIS DAY in communities throughout America...

... a covert evil that is happening with the apparent knowledge and approval of security forces.

This correspondent, a veteran print and TV journalist, speaks from personal experience:

OR (if link is disabled):

Posted by: scrivener50 | January 19, 2009 11:12 PM

Yep, no way will Dick miss his cousin's inauguration!!

That's right -- BO and Dick Cheney are cousins. Cheney and the Bushes are cousins, and BO and the Bushes are also cousins.

It's just one big Illuminati happy family! Evil Luciferians working hard to bring in their New World Order.

Posted by: AZPaleocon | January 19, 2009 11:12 PM

Looks like a lot of left wing compost readers on here. Cheney was one of the best VP's we ever had. The snort you got coming in doesn't know if he is coming or going, can't keep his or his wife's mouth shut, but he will keep Barack America going ok!

Posted by: alfarang | January 19, 2009 11:05 PM

WoW, the hate that you guys spew. It's really sad to see that so many people who voted for Obama can display such hate:-(
Don't be a hater...

Posted by: mcmcw1 | January 19, 2009 11:05 PM

Not Irony folks.
This is Classic Cheney. He's the kind of guy while chewing on his cigar bets his cronies with bravado that he would never stand to see Obama sworn in as President. ..

...Cheney wins the bet. ...(and the last laugh)

Posted by: streetwise1 | January 19, 2009 10:53 PM

Should have asked for help when trying to move his safe.

Posted by: jafman | January 19, 2009 10:49 PM

Something's hinky here. The guy with a long hostory of heart disease, the second most (maybe the most most) powerful person in the nation was moving his own boxes???? Where were his minions? Feith? Wolfy? The gang from KBR? W? Mayflower Van Lines?
I don't buy it.

Posted by: Rivery | January 19, 2009 10:34 PM

One may assume there was a lot of dirt to carry out of that building today. Now honest hard working Americans can say "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED". "Free at last, free at last, thank God allmighty we are free at last!"

Posted by: anOPINIONATEDsob | January 19, 2009 9:57 PM

Is this the most ironic event in the history of mankind? It's up there...

Posted by: parkerfl1 | January 19, 2009 9:56 PM