The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Cheney: Libby Deserved a Pardon

By Philip Rucker
Just one day after leaving the White House, former vice president Dick Cheney publicly broke with his boss of eight years, saying he disagreed with former president George W. Bush's decision not to pardon convicted felon I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Cheney's former chief of staff.

After Libby was convicted of perjury and obstruction of justice for his role in the leak of the identity of undercover CIA operative Valerie Plame to the news media, Bush commuted his prison term, a move he later described as "fair and balanced." But he refused to pardon Libby, a decision that angered many of Bush's supporters -- including, we now know, Cheney.

In an interview Wednesday with Stephen F. Hayes, a writer for the conservative Weekly Standard and author of a Cheney biography, the former vice president said: "Obviously, I disagree with President Bush's decision."

Cheney added: "Scooter Libby is one of the most capable and honorable men I've ever known. He's been an outstanding public servant throughout his career. He was the victim of a serious miscarriage of justice, and I strongly believe that the deserved a presidential pardon."

Posted at 5:50 PM ET on Jan 22, 2009  | Category:  43
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: White House Pool Reports to Stay Press Property | Next: Oaths, Bibles and Presidents

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

testimont = testimony

Posted by: JakeD | January 23, 2009 3:11 PM

President Clinton never lied under oath to Congress -- that's because Clinton's LIES were during testimont in a civil case and then before a grand jury -- the Clintons are slippery, I will grant you that. Heck, Senator Clinton wasn't even administered ANY oath for her confirmation hearing.

Posted by: JakeD | January 23, 2009 1:28 PM

Let's set the record straight here, I keep hearing people saying that Clinton was impeached for a "personal indiscretion" etc.

Clinton was impeached for lying under oath to congress plain and simple. It does not matter for what.

Personally I think that it was despicable the way Clinton was taken down, but, you cannot lie under oath to congress, get caught and expect to get away unpunished.

Posted by: JRM2 | January 23, 2009 12:44 PM

enough3:

Another possibility is that Cheney is not lying and Libby deserved a pardon.

Posted by: JakeD | January 23, 2009 11:58 AM

What I am missing is why 'ol Dick wants everybody else to show character and do the right thing (that means whatever he wants and prefers), but isn't himself capable of behaving honorably by coming forward and declaring that he is the architect and personally responsible for criminally and treasonously outing Valerie Plame.

No chopping cherry tree fables a la George Washington seem to have been included in little Dick's childhood bedtime readings. For such a subversive and corrosive character, Dick publicly seems to be wounded by not getting his way with a pardon for Scooter, but hey, kicking your faithful dog is all part of fighting spooky enemies. And besides, Scooter has longer to live and redeem himself.

Posted by: enough3 | January 23, 2009 10:38 AM

Cheney's comments are too late and irrelevant now. More important is that Cheney looked like dead warmed over in his wheelchair and never mind he hurt his back while helping the movers. If Bush senior and Ted Kennedy could walk during this important moment and he couldn't obviously he is dying.

Posted by: ridagana | January 23, 2009 5:13 AM

JakeD makes me hard.

Posted by: euroguy | January 23, 2009 4:27 AM

Well, if CHENEY says so, I'm sure it's the morally right thing to do.

Posted by: sarahabc | January 23, 2009 3:01 AM

BUSH DUMPED CHENEY BY NOT PARDONING LIBBY.

Now Libby will have to reveal the dirty secrets of the failed "CHENEY" Administration in order to make a living.

Bush was out of the picture like he was for his whole Presidency and believes by being stupid he will look better.

Bush is an idiot but he left a few die hard stupid Republicans in the Congress to help destroy the Republican Party.

Will Cheney die before Libby lay the "MOUTH" on him? Only time will tell.

Posted by: COWENS99 | January 23, 2009 2:20 AM

Cheney: If more Americans were like JakeD, I'd be getting more action in the sack.

Posted by: angelos_peter | January 23, 2009 1:35 AM

Hey jaked,

The black helicopters are still flying over my house.... who should I call;
Palin, Cornyn, Vitter, Sanford, Pawlenty,Delay, Gingrich ..... which one of our hero's??????????????

Posted by: knjincvc | January 23, 2009 1:05 AM

Cheney: Libby Deserved a Pardon.

AMERICA: Cheney Deserved a Size 10 Up the Slats.

JakeD: Dick Cheney really turns me on when he rides in a wheelchair.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 23, 2009 12:40 AM

dkidwell61 wrote at January 22, 2009 8:50 PM
"I have no doubt that once the information that was extracted through the use of more extreme measures is revealed, that the use of such techniques will be justified.

"They might not want to say so publicly, but these techniques DO work and the new administration does not want to hamstring itself if they need to extract important information!!

-----------------
You should doubt it...unless you believe "24" is a documentary.

These techniques DON'T WORK. Ask US interrogators. Read their books.

Yes, the subjects talk. They say anything. But you can't be sure what they say is accurate or reliable. Therefore, it's not useful intelligence, it's just noise that more often than not wastes a lot of time and energy.

Posted by: boscobobb | January 23, 2009 12:20 AM

Stand up and be accounted for Dick! Now's your time, take Scooter's place.

After all, it should be you and loud mouth Joe Armitage that should be doing time for compromising the Plume family and their well being; but, then again, why would Dick care--he hasn’t before!! Both of these men took an oath to protect American citizens and they broke their oath and a good family’s livelihood and safety!! Traitors, like Dick and Armitage must be tried!!

Posted by: jpm001 | January 22, 2009 11:58 PM

Fine by me. Libby out. Cheney in.

Posted by: Otech21 | January 22, 2009 11:06 PM

Cheney: "Libby deserved a pardon."

And what about you, Dick? Will you deserve a pardon? Most would adamantly say, NO!

Posted by: book134 | January 22, 2009 9:51 PM

Cheney is absolutely right...Libby should have received a complete pardon. I will always be puzzled as to why Bush did not give a complete pardon--especially given the circumstances....

------------

He obstructed justice pretaining to the outing of a CIA agent, a treasonable offense.

Fer starters.

I hope they go after the whole group of 'em with everything they have...

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 | January 22, 2009 9:45 PM

Get over it. Move on.

Posted by: DarylAtamanyk | January 22, 2009 9:22 PM

On July 21, 2007, President George W. Bush transmitted a letter to President pro tempore of the Senate Robert Byrd and Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi declaring himself temporarily unable to discharge the powers and duties of the office of President of the United States, prior to undergoing a colonoscopy which required sedation. Vice President Cheney acted as President from 7:16 a.m. to 9:21 a.m.

If Cheney wanted to pardon Scooter Libby, Cheney had a little over two hours in which to sign a pardon. So Cheney should quit whining about Bush not doing something which Cheney himself failed to do.

Posted by: Dannoday | January 22, 2009 8:59 PM

Cheney's position is interesting. Apparently, a president who commits perjury to cover up an unseemly personal indiscretion should be impeached while a high-level administration aide who commits perjury regarding a national security matter should get a pass. On the other hand, who cares what Cheney thinks? He's no longer VP. He's gone back to being just an ordinary Dick.

Posted by: Bob22003 | January 22, 2009 8:52 PM

You too have no clue!!! Personal indiscretion!! Please, get a clue!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | January 22, 2009 8:57 PM

So libby committed perjury four times about something serious and deserves a pardon, but Clinton lied once about getting a BJ (and, technically was telling the truth), and deserves to be IMPEACHED.

That's the self-serving 'uglican so-called "logic."

It's that kind of thing that made us run those bums out on a rail.

I think Bush pardoned them all but is keeping the paper in a dated, sealed envelope, gambling that obama will be the delusional wimp he in fact is, and cover up their crimes "for the good of the country".

Cheney and Obama BOTH make me sick.

-- faye kane, homeless brain
See more of my smartmouth opinions at http://blog.myspace.com/fayekane

Posted by: FayeKane_HomelessSmartypants | January 22, 2009 7:40 PM

If you really think it was all about a "BJ" then you really have no clue as to what you are talking about!!! Stop drinking the Kool-Aid and get the facts!! It was NEVER about "The Prez" having sex in the Oval Office!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | January 22, 2009 8:55 PM

Posted by: Bob22003 | January 22, 2009 8:52 PM

Posted by: charko825 | January 22, 2009 8:52 PM

I'll admit it is possible, but not probable because it has been found that torture does not produce reliable information and given this past admin's propensity for ahem..stretching the truth..I cannot just accept that their "enhanced interrogation techniques" saved American lives just because they say so.

But torture brings other problems, in fact, we cannot even convict "the 20th hijacker" because the information gleaned from his interrogations was obtained through torture. Torture actually in this regard is obstructing justice and robbing us of our moral high-ground.

This is more a war of hearts and minds and you cannot win it if you have no moral high-ground, you just can't get others to be on your side or sympathize with you.

So yes JakeD, if it could be proven that torture saved us from a catastrophic terror attack I would have a hard time arguing against that, but until I see proof I will argue against torture.

Posted by: JRM2 | January 22, 2009 8:23 PM

Keep in mind that while Obama signed off on the use of "harsh" techniques, there was a loop-hole left in the legislation that would enable the use of those very techniques against "certain individuals".

Posted by: dkidwell61 | January 22, 2009 8:50 PM

Libby didn't deserve a pardon, he deserved a cellmate:

Cheney.

Posted by: none3 | January 22, 2009 8:45 PM

"Bush authorized war and torture that probably saved even more Americans lives.

Posted by: JakeD "
------

Posted by: JRM2 | January 22, 2009 8:23 PM

When faced with being questioned by Members of Congress or under oath, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby is the poster boy, even if you're an attorney, to "Lawyer-Up", until your attorney is present, when being questioned.

Hubris, will bring the down the mightiest of people; faster than that 10lb anvil on top of Speaker Pelosi's noggin.

Posted by: Computer_Forensics_Expert_Computer_Expert_Witness | January 22, 2009 8:20 PM

Well, he may have been booed as he entered the innaug. stage and cheered as the helicopter lifted off, but give him credit for having the guts not to be a pardoning hypocritical grafter like Mr. C and his partner the celebrity of state.

Marc Rich one upped the Teapot Dome scandel. Trading arms with an enemy of the USA.

A "learning experience" for our new AG. WE all should be so blessed by the god of second chances.

Posted by: thealaskan | January 22, 2009 8:09 PM

Libby was convicted of perjery and obstruction of justice for his role in the leak of the identity of undercover CIA operative Valerie Plame to the news media> but Cheney whines that poor little Libbly was the victim of a serious miscarriage of justice!!! lol Cheney my my how mixed up you are on what justice is and means and i hope you burn in h** where criminal> scum like you and Libby belong.

Posted by: smorrow | January 22, 2009 8:06 PM

What Cheney is really saying is: "Since it was my idea all along I deserve to be pardoned."

Posted by: washpost4 | January 22, 2009 8:01 PM

justathought3:

Bush authorized war and torture that probably saved even more Americans lives.

Posted by: JakeD | January 22, 2009 7:42 PM

thebobbob:

Are you SURE there were no such pardons?

Posted by: JakeD | January 22, 2009 7:41 PM

Libby committed a treasonous felony that probably cost loyal Americans their lives, in order to carry out a political vendetta on Cheney's behalf. He should have spent ten years in prison. One of the very few things that Bush got right was to not pardon him.

Posted by: justathought3 | January 22, 2009 7:40 PM

That's the self-serving 'uglican so-called "logic."

It's that kind of thing that made us run those bums out on a rail.

Cheney and Obama BOTH make me sick.

-- faye kane, homeless brain
See more of my smartmouth opinions at http://blog.myspace.com/fayekane

Posted by: FayeKane_HomelessSmartypants | January 22, 2009 7:40 PM

Yeah, and put cheney in prison instead.

Posted by: craigbrewer | January 22, 2009 7:38 PM

"Scooter Libby is one of the most capable and honorable men I've ever known"

And Libby is a convicted felon. That says a lot about the other men Cheney knows. Cheney will be sorry Bush didn't issue the blanket pardon.

Posted by: thebobbob | January 22, 2009 7:32 PM

"He [Libby] was the victim of a serious miscarriage of justice, and I [Cheney] strongly believe that the deserved a presidential pardon."

But of course Cheney did not elaborate on what the miscarriage of justice was. Just how does one get convicted on 4 counts of perjury and obstruction of justice while being a great public servant? Now if he had sex with an intern I assume THAT would require justice be served according to Cheney.

Thank God that man is no longer holding any American power. Good riddance. I hope the law catches up to you Cheney.

Posted by: bevjims1 | January 22, 2009 7:28 PM

euroguy:

Do you care what Al Gore says?

Posted by: JakeD | January 22, 2009 7:24 PM

If Dick Cheney is so interested in honorable and honest men, then why doesn't he just come forward and admit what he did to break the laws, rather than sacrifice honorable Scooter in order to cover up his own disgusting and frail hide?

Cheney's vengeful (anti "no yellowcake Joe Wilson") campaign to out Valerie Plame (still undercover CIA operative) and to blow up the main CIA effort (Brewster Jennings front) and endangering the lives of its staff and years of work to infiltrate Iran's nuclear programs were truly subversive and criminal IMHO.

Come on, Dick, stand up and stop being a coward by hiding behind Scooter, or your former office. Just stop your complaining, hypocritical mouth. You are a dead issue and of no use to a democratic republic based on a strict reading of the Constitution, not your perverted reading of what you'd like it to say. Go back to regency era England and the 18th century Tories, Dick, not to public or principled life in a free country. BTW, Dick, the NSA will now spy on you, too. And no habeas corpus for you either. I'd advise you not to travel abroad...

Posted by: enough3 | January 22, 2009 7:12 PM

Chaney should get a pardon too... after he is sent to jail.

Posted by: 01234567891 | January 22, 2009 7:09 PM

What Dick Cheney thinks is irrelevant. Why should we care?

Posted by: euroguy | January 22, 2009 7:05 PM

I agree with JRM2.

"Honorable" depends on who's talking.

Posted by: rlj1 | January 22, 2009 6:38 PM

Good one, JRM2.

Posted by: JakeD | January 22, 2009 6:26 PM

"Cheney added: "Scooter Libby is one of the most capable and honorable men I've ever known"
----
I don't doubt that Libby IS one of the most honorable men Cheney's ever known.

Posted by: JRM2 | January 22, 2009 6:22 PM

Sorry, SAINT--The, but $2000 x 310,000,000 = 620,000,000,000. We just don't have that much extra cash laying around for everyone.

Posted by: JakeD | January 22, 2009 6:15 PM

Scooter did so much less than Geithner, and so many other Wall street Fat Cats, it makes my head spin that he is in trouble;

And they are even being allowed to LIVE!

Folks, a mere $2,000 would mean more to me right now than I hope most of you can imagine!

I am not plugging away for my own lack of anything else to do-although, while waiting for a new job opportunity, it does keep me occupied!

I am trying my best to make it KNOWN, that WE the PEOPLE of THIS Country, are HURTING!

That we are feeling BETRAYED! Sold Out! Robbed. That we are ANGRY! That we NEED $$$$$$ and WE need it YESTERDAY!

To the Fools on Capital Hill:

Keep ignoring our pleas at your own DOOM!

Adding Insult to Injury, while rewarding the banks who destroyed us with their usury rates, fees, and penalties-all while fore-closing, re-possessing, and harassing us into insanity while doing it;

Is NOT what I would call "Healthy"!

Posted by: SAINT---The | January 22, 2009 6:04 PM

I agree (although I don't read it as "anger"). Too bad Cheney didn't think about it while he was Acting President ; )

Posted by: JakeD | January 22, 2009 5:54 PM