The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Media Notes

Limbaugh Bristles at Obama Remark

By Michael D. Shear
Among the many accomplishments of President Obama's first week in office, add this: starting a war of words with the king of conservative talk.

But in a meeting with lawmakers from both parties on Friday, Obama told the GOP representatives, "You can't just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done."

Asked about the comment today during his daily briefing, press secretary Robert Gibbs smiled as a reporter noted that "he's live on the air."

"Tell him I said, 'Hi,'" Gibbs joked.

But Limbaugh is apparently not in any mood for jokes. On his show, Limbaugh mocked Obama for failing to live up to his promises.

"Now this is the great unifier," Limbaugh said. "This is the man who's going to unify everybody and usher in a new era of bipartisanship and love."

Limbaugh, who is known for his frequent self-promotion, cited Obama's comments as further evidence of his own dominance of the conservative agenda.

"He's obviously more frightened of me than he is Mitch McConnell. He's more frightened of me, then he is of say, John Boehner, which doesn't say much about our party," Limbaugh said on the radio program.

Posted at 4:44 PM ET on Jan 26, 2009  | Category:  Media Notes
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Riding Obama's Coattails, Overseas | Next: New EPA Administrator Meets Staff

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Much better, much better, all of you. Better syntax, better spelling...same old b*&*&% back-and-forth about Rush, about Obama, about who dissed what and who sat on their butts.
My personal take on the election of President Obama is derived from:
For the first time in my 49 years here, people from all across the political spectrum weighed in on the election, and the numbers were too huge to be denied, manipulated, or disregarded by the likes of Katherine Harris and the Supreme Court of any state-(cautionary note: Boehner's family company builds the voting machines that gave us all that trouble on '00 and 04).
We face a vast array of extremely complex problems that no single political party, tribe, interest group or individual is going to solve alone. These problems are as local as they are global, and last time I looked at Hubble's pix, I didn't see any bridges to anywhere else...SO-the likes of Limbaugh are harbingers of extinction, who produce NOTHING of value, divide and divert attention into channels of fear, and work very hard to keep anyone else from doing any better. Let 'em go into the oblivion of history, I say.
Help Obama - and anyone else in this country who actually wants a decent world left for their children to inherit, a truly representative government, and a quality of life that isn't driven by terror- get this agenda on down the road! We can all stand around again calling names after the work is done - if anyone still feels the need. In the meantime, just don't forget that the fossil record is full of examples of species that failed to adapt to a changing world.

Posted by: churchill1 | January 28, 2009 5:23 AM

"Like it or not, this is still a free country and we can decide whether to listen to Limbaugh or tune him out. A president that tells people who to listen to, frankly, scares me.
Posted by: thebink | January 27, 2009 6:49 PM"

thebink, you didn't read carefully.

President Obama wasn't telling people whom they could listen to; he was saying that one cannot both listen to Limbaugh AND actually get anything done.

People who subscribe to Limbaugh's values simply want to spend all their time arguing and tearing down others' efforts. These are not productive people; they're chronic complainers.

Sure, go ahead and listen to Rush every day. Idolize him if you want to. But don't try to tell anyone that you're accomplishing something.

Posted by: kjohnson3 | January 28, 2009 1:01 AM

Posted by: thebink | January 27, 2009 6:49 PM

I'll never understand why so many doggedly tune in to listen to this windbag fellate himself every day. He makes Howard Stern seem humble.

Posted by: ComfortablyDumb | January 27, 2009 6:33 PM

It's news that Limbaugh "bristles" at people and things? He's a professional bristler. He bristles for a living. Sometimes he mixes it up and throws in a little huffing and puffing and snorting and grunting. But for the most part, he bristles. It's his gift.

Posted by: nodebris | January 27, 2009 3:19 PM

Kaptah:

Feel free to leave -- no skin off my nose -- I never said that the battlefield was the same in Korea and Vietnam. I was in combat but not wounded (thank God). As a veteran (I am), I will defend ANY American's right to free speech, even yours, anytime and anywhere.

Posted by: JakeD | January 27, 2009 1:03 PM

Jake D.

You know what? I'm wasting my time trying to figure out what you are, I do know what your not... thats the easy part.

You go and have a good life buddy. I'll try to forget that their are some of us, that in a moment of madness thought that we were about to die for some lofty ideals
that you like to throw around. The bad part? That you genuflect to a radio personality that doesn't know what laying your life on the line for God and country is all about.

Posted by: Kaptah1 | January 27, 2009 12:53 PM

Jake D.

Bravo, you were in the Korea War. Yes I was out of diapers at that time.

You seem to forget that the battlefield was very different in Korea and Vietnam. The ones that were D.I.E. because they would have been drafted anyways were just regular guys, but the politics of being there gave us all a common mind set. Were you in a Combat Arms MOS?
Did you receive your PH after getting a frag close enough to make you wonder what life was all about?
Maybe you did. But for you, a veteran, to support Limbaugh does not make any sense. As a veteran (if you are), where is your head?
Perhaps you weren't in a position to hold in your intestines and wonder if you were going to see home again.

Posted by: Kaptah1 | January 27, 2009 12:47 PM

Chris Brown in Hamburg:

I will defend ANY American's right to free speech, anytime and anywhere.

Posted by: JakeD | January 27, 2009 12:24 PM

Being naturally skeptical of anything posted in the East-Coast Liberal media, I doubt that this will make much sense to most of those posting here. I live in Kansas, a state that has had its GOP hijacked by the Radical Right and has elected a Democrat Governor and two Democrats to the House in past years because of it. I am an old-fashioned, fiscally conservative, pro-choice Moderate Republican. A type that has been as vilified by Rush as have those on the extreme Left.

It is those who believe that everything he says is Truth and Wisdom, not just entertainment that are the ones we all should fear. What Limbaugh says, who he criticizes and what he proposes are strictly to gain and keep an audience. He has no fear of his impact on this country, nor regret for what he has already done to it or the GOP.

What this country needs is a man or woman of courage with a Centrist, Pragmatic point of view who can stand up to the noise and static coming from both the extremes and say simply 'Enough' and proceed to get done what needs to be done to save this country from itself. Where have you gone, Bob Dole?

We need a leader who will put our country first, not themselves or those they are personally beholden to. In today's political environment is that even possible? I pray that it is so.

Posted by: BoothT | January 27, 2009 11:34 AM

Heres a novel idea. If Rush really wants to be part of the solution why doesn't he put his money where his (big) mouth is and run for office? It is easy to stand on the sidelines and throw stones for ratings. It is much harder to actually do the work required to govern as a leader.

Posted by: MarcMyWords | January 27, 2009 11:02 AM

Rush is simply a showman. Obnoxious and self centered, but just a entertainer as sick as his act may be. I had been Republican my entire life up until this past election, but have always thought of Limbaugh as one of the most anti American people that is taking all he can from the right of free speech. I'd defend his right to the end for this, but also hope and pray that his 'ditto heads' will someday free themselves of his cult of hate, anger and divisiveness. America really can't affort to listen to his silliness any longer. We need, for once, to come together and work to keep our country strong.

Rush Limbaugh = America's Doom

Posted by: tim26 | January 27, 2009 9:51 AM

Didn't Limbaugh himself say it's treasonous to criticize the president during wartime?

Get a rope!

Posted by: blarsen1 | January 27, 2009 9:47 AM

Dear Jake,

You are ruining your reputation by defending someone as hollow as Limbaugh. Criticism is one thing but the rants in the rushs are not worth even trying to defend.

Out of curiousity I looked up his current transcript to see what the fuss is about. The man's a meglomaniac. Halfway into his ramblings he makes the absurd calculation that 46% of the stimulus package should be "determined by me". This is based on some version of a split on the popular vote. I assume he thinks he's being funny. He's not even faintly amusing.

Just to put things in perspective,

Chris Brown in Hamburg

Posted by: chrisbrown1 | January 27, 2009 9:31 AM

How telling that the Rush would say Obama is more frightened of him than of others on the right. Frightened! If Obama were more frightened of The Rush, what exactly would that mean to The Rush? Would that prove him to be the best purveyor of fear, drive up his audience and push his advertising rates to new heights? Has the goal become to be the most frightening? Unfortunately if Rush thinks Obama is running on fear he is even more delusional that what we are used to him being on a normal Rush day. This makes more clear than ever that fear is the primary consideration of Rush as well as his primary product. I am sure Obama is quacking in his sneakers. For editorial cartoons about current issues and personalities. See Bush Years: Retrospective in Editorial Cartoons at http://www.saintpeterii.com

Posted by: saintpeterii | January 27, 2009 8:42 AM

berebenenar, Jeez, you hurt my feelings. I am nearly 60 but I am no limbaugh fan. r u kidding?? Your speaking so poorly of those that have lived longer than you (uh, and we cannot help it)will come back to haunt you in...40 years or so. Lighten up kiddo!

Posted by: eatinglowonthefoodchain | January 27, 2009 7:51 AM

It's unfortunate that some on the right have taken such an extreme tack. It's not what we in the middle want to see. Personally, I would love a strong but MODERATE Republican party that pushes for fiscal responsibility and small government.

Instead, I find myself shaking my head because it's clear that most of them still don't get it. Still playing partisan politics like it's the Way of the Future.

Until they figure it out and stop attacking compromise, unity, and working together in the spirit of patriotism and love of this country and what it stands for, conservatives are going to continue undermining their own support and driving away moderates. You'll continue to see a steady drain on party affiliation and representation by conservatives in government until they realize that partisan polarization is not the way my generation -- America's FUTURE, and a large and rapidly growing part of its PRESENT -- wants to do things and is GOING to do things.

We will NOT vote for the dividers and the polarizers. Period. It's off-putting to us. Obama realizes this, and I think a lot of the Democrats realize this. A few Republicans do, but not enough. They need to do a better job.

GET WITH THE PROGRAM GUYS.

I understand Limbaugh and realize that he caters to the old folks crowd. They like what he has to say and they like feeling polarized.

In truth, it's always been this way. The old generation wants to cling to its ways, and becomes angry and bitter as the new generation becomes increasingly more powerful and eventually overthrows it altogether (this election) and puts its own representatives in power. It happened in the '60s, and now the same overthrowers who overthrew the old guard are the ones who are bitterly attacking the ideals of the young: unity, cooperation, and respect.

This is what we value. Sorry, your resentment and tribal-affiliations mindset can't change us. You'll just have to get used to us, because we're the future and we're not going anywhere.

Posted by: berebenenar | January 27, 2009 6:10 AM

FINALLY, we have a Prez (Obama) who is not only respected at home but also around the world.

Not wonder Druggy Rush and the Repugs want him to fail, their whole existence depends on it. Heck, after the last two elections the GOPukes have become a regional party (the south) and if they don't pull their collective heads out of their butt's pretty soon they're going to lose that region too.

Posted by: DrainYou | January 27, 2009 2:05 AM

I just wish more of you would learn how to spell and construct sentences. You all may have opinions, and Rush is, as Al says right....fat. But you illiterate poundits are an embarrasment to education in this great nation.

Posted by: churchill1 | January 27, 2009 12:34 AM

Conservatives like winedude can kick and scream and throw as many tantrums as they like. It doesn't change the fact that Obama IS the President of the United States of America. He is the president of every single American citizen, and no amount of acting like a 4-year-old, holding your breath, acting out on the internet, or crying like a little b&*ch is going to change that. Grow the hell up and act like a man. Just because Rush Limbaugh has the intellect and humor of a Junior High delinquent doesn't mean all you ditto-heads have to act the same way. Have some self respect for God's sake!

Posted by: Plix | January 26, 2009 11:45 PM

Rush Limbaugh. Is he still around? I thought he was a has-been relic of the Bush years. Oh that's right, he's that oxy-c pusher and one of Bush's shining examples for a drug free America. Yeah, I remember him... and Ted Haggard, and Sen Stevens, and all those "moral" perps. All the buffoons of America lined up behind the Republican Party. Keep us laughing at you Rush. You lost the election.

Posted by: jayarr8 | January 26, 2009 11:19 PM

OMG!!! 4 years from now Obama will look back and realize the biggest mistake of his presidency was mentioning Limbaugh's name!!

Rush was the real life inspiration for Jobba the Hut in the first Star Wars film. In real life his brain is full of idiocy, hatred, and fried pork rinds. Why on earth did Barack even consider re-energising this syphalytic minded donkeyhole???

Limbaugh should be back in Cape Giraudeau announcing river barge arrivals on the local AM station. Maybe a hog belly report from the Chicago stock market.

Rush you need to send half your money each month to Bill and Hillary. You owe them for making you who you are today. Now do the right thing.

Calm down about our new president. Maybe there will be some money in his bail out package to buy you some more medicine. Will that make you feel better?

Posted by: patrick10 | January 26, 2009 11:04 PM

Kaptah- remember the first rule of posting.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | January 26, 2009 11:02 PM

Kaptah1:

I was in the Army during the Korean War (were you even out of diapers?).

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 10:37 PM

"As I stated, I am an American citizen, but I will NEVER acknowledge Obama as my President. Perhaps you missed everyone calling Bush 'pResident' over the past 8 years?"
JakeD feels that the intellectually weak and emotionally immature on the left should set the standards for him. No one who is a retired lawyer could have escaped the emotional development that comes with that job and make such a childish remark.

Your lack of respect for the people who read here and your lack of respect for yourself are astonishing. You either retired prematurely or have practiced in isolation. You are simply too unworldly to be who you say you are.

Posted by: Gator-ron | January 26, 2009 10:35 PM

maximumverb:

Well, maybe you didn't, but lots of Dems wanted Bush to fail as to Iraq, torture, spying, etc.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 10:21 PM

"One might have thought Obama would, in the interest of a new bipartisan spirit, want to avoid a confrontation with Rush Limbaugh for as long as possible."

The person who wrote that has a low level of reasoning capacity. I think that someone like Limbaugh who has rebuked common standards of verbal decency should be confronted. Not so much for his opinions but for the vicious, uncivil manner that he expresses them. The fact that others are are equally or more boorish is immaterial. Rush is an enemy of constructive dialog so I wonder why Obama waited so long.

Posted by: Gator-ron | January 26, 2009 10:19 PM

I'd like to make one simple remark: although I disagreed with President George W. Bush numerous times, I never once felt that he should fail. After all, I am an American citizen, and during the last eight years, he was the President. Even though I didn't vote for him, I felt that it was my responsibility to respect his office. For Rush to say that he hopes President Obama fails reveals a complete lack of patriotism. If the President fails, America could fail, especially in a time of crisis. Limbaugh seems to misunderstand this, or maybe he just doesn't care. Obama is right, people of all sides should put such childish one-sided rhetoric aside, permanently.

Posted by: maximumverb | January 26, 2009 10:12 PM

it was pretty bush league (no pun intended) of Obama to insinuate that republicans who oppose his policies are doing so because they are taking marching orders from Limbaugh.

it would seem to me that a necessary component of bi-partisanship and unity is respecting your opponents enough to assume that their positions are the product of their own individual conscience and sense of doing what is right.

obama has a bad habit of making snarky low-blow comments like that (remember when he told hillary that he didnt know who he was running against?), and if he is going to cringe when biden cracks a joke about roberts he should show some restraint of his own.

at least biden is funny when he delivers a cheap shot.

Posted by: dummypants | January 26, 2009 10:11 PM

Obama should never mention the names of these Right Wing traitors like Limpballs, Hannity, Savage etc...

It gives them publicity to work with.

Rush Limbaugh is a gluttonous, half-dick traitor and I honestly hope his overworked heart blows like a land mine.
His demise would be a cause for celebration.

Posted by: captainkona | January 26, 2009 10:06 PM

And to you turn-coat GOPs who say "he ain't MY president," you were calling those who were calling to impeach Bush terrorists.

Where are your accusations of treason and terror now?

"Respect the president of the US" only when it's convenient, is it?

Posted by: kogejoe | January 26, 2009 9:58 PM

That fat bastard is a tard. I hope he gets so fired up he gives himself a heart attack. I make an exception to my belief that Americans should exercise their freedom of speech when this spin artist, this blowhard, this...Suck Hard, this morbidly obese waste of sperm and egg, speaks. He should go by the name of Mush Limburger.

Posted by: quintaessential | January 26, 2009 9:54 PM

"He's obviously more frightened of me than he is Mitch McConnell. He's more frightened of me, then he is of say, John Boehner, which doesn't say much about our party."

Only a frightened man ignores the elephant in the room. A bold man points it out. There it stands. Its name is Rush Limbaugh.

Posted by: kogejoe | January 26, 2009 9:53 PM

First to all the veterans making comments on this article, THANK YOU for your service to our Country.
Now, to all the people who think that just because people don't recognize your man as our President, that those people should leave this Country, Kiss my Butt.
The great thing about this Country is the freedom that we have. I abide by all the laws of the Country, My State, My County, and My City, but I don't have to legally say anything about your President being mine. He WAS elected, and He is serving, But He isn't MY President, because I truly think he will be leading the Country down the tubes, and faster than anybody expected.
To you people that keep using the word CHANGE, that HE promised, and that he would not go along with Washington 'insiders'.....uhhh....have you looked at his Cabinet? Not only insiders but a Clinton(deep, deep insiders) to boot. And please, all you people that are boiling and saying how great he is, and so on....even if you are a supporter of his, why for Christ sakes, is no one making a big crazy "what the hell is going on" to the Timothy Geithner selection? For all you staunch Democrats and o(no)bama supporters, please just try not paying your Income Taxes for several years and see if you can get a job like that. And he is going to be the head of that! Come on guys...I beg you....don't pay your taxes and see what happens to you. See if you can get a high paying status job, and your boss just say, come on, get over it people, it was just a little oversight.
I do also love that in the first week of you all's President, that he has called out a CNN reporter for asking a question in the Press room, called out Rush Limbaugh, and my personal favorite, Mrs Not My President getting upset about the daughters being talked about and some dolls be made 'honoring' them. It looks like the next 207 weeks could get interesting between the love affair for the Press and the o(no)bama family.
And finally, the GREAT thing about MY Country, is the freedom to do what I just did. So to all who don't get what our great Freedom is all about, He's not My President, and I ain't leaving.

Posted by: winedude1 | January 26, 2009 9:51 PM

This is shameful. People need to cut Mr. Limbaugh some slack in light of his shocking medical condition. It has been claimed by some that Mr. Limbaugh's pilonidal cyst (which kept this great patriot out of the military) has migrated from his posterior up his back and neck and around to the front of his face where it is now lodged between his nose and chin. This odious fester is said to erupt daily, bathing listeners in a vile stench. You are a great American Mr. Limbaugh. Without you, we wouldn't know what to think, or who to hate. God bless you Sir and the puss dripping masses that listen to you.

Posted by: Saxxon_Domela | January 26, 2009 9:50 PM

Occasionally during the last twenty years as I drove across the US I would accidentally hear Limbaugh on the radio. The first few times I didn't know who he was or how popular he is with many listeners. I rarely listened to him very long because I found him to be poorly informed on most of the topics he discussed and a bit of a clown. Not long ago I read a long article by a journalist who had interviewed him. The article provided a mini bio of Limbaugh which didn't do anything to change my opinion. I doubt that he really believes much of what he says. He has identified a demographic and learned what they like to hear. Any politician who pays much attention to what Limbaugh is saying does so only to learn what many of his constituents want to hear. Limbaugh appeals to a significant number of Americans who don't like Obama. That number will increase dramatically as Obama seeks to govern. I supported Obama and believe he was the clearly the best choice to be President. Nevertheless, it is clear to me that he is a politician and I am sure I will disagree with him on many occasions. For example I think his nomination of Timothy Geithner violates his pledge to select competent people to be part of his administration. Geithner's inability to correctly do his own taxes makes him a poor choice for Treasury Secretary. Not the sort of leader the IRS needs. I am sure Limbaugh will agree. He is listening to what many people are saying. He is too stupid to really understand the reasons why Geithner was a poor choice. It is unfortunate that Obama didn't listen. Not a good start. He will live to regret his choice of Geithner. Obviously Geithner is not very bright.

Posted by: jimeglrd8 | January 26, 2009 9:47 PM

Why is this newsworthy?

Posted by: mac8 | January 26, 2009 9:42 PM

Changeontheway--

You are my new bbf!

Thanks for saying it like it needs to be said.

Posted by: gogonzo | January 26, 2009 9:40 PM

It is now clear as the day that Obama is not a promising leader, but one who is using the same mentality as Bush but after cleaning American harp of some twisted strings. He has no justice for the Palestinians and he holds the Pakistanis on the tenter-hooks.

Posted by: edari2 | January 26, 2009 9:34 PM

Lemmings and the like follow Heir Rush's word like it was scripture. The man is a baffoon, not worth a simple nod much less anything else. Rush is the true "anti-American". So are the other two talking heads, Beck and Hanity.

It's hard not to, but the magic trio of whining babbies should be ignored.

Posted by: gogonzo | January 26, 2009 9:31 PM

Come on folks, lets have some civility here. This is America. There has to be open civil debate among citizens to solve our mutual problems. There has never been an election where a President received 100% of popular vote (or electoral vote), so come on and accept the reality and don't go off acting silly. Nothing can be gained pulling at each other. I would have expected my President to have had better manners in this situation (in speaking of another citizen's opinion), take a deep breathe. He needs all the support he can get.

Posted by: AmericanFirst1 | January 26, 2009 8:53 PM

Michael is 110% right. Stuff a sock in that blow hard.

I supported Obama but I had friends and family who backed McCain. What we all agree about is that we need to give our president time to accomplish this turn-around. I don't remember in my lifetime (I'm 51!) a time when the incoming president was faced with such daunting challenges. Right, Left or in the middle, we should all be pulling for him and making our voices heard. Even if you are a strong conservative republican... don't sit on the sidelines and carp like this blowhard! Go to whitehouse.gov and let Obama know what you think we ought to do!

It seems based on a week of work that his interest in listening and using GOP ideas is genuine. Why not take him at his word and make your prescriptions for fixing the economy and foreign affairs clear to him and his team? He might surprise you and do it!

Jeff Crigler

Posted by: JeffCrigler | January 26, 2009 8:42 PM

Rush couldn't lead a den of boy scouts to the library. Why are ignorant people letting him fill them with anger and illusion? Its amazing, "Hot Air" leading our country. Sounds like the Bush administration.

Posted by: houseinthemiddleoftrees | January 26, 2009 8:29 PM

If you don't like Rush Limbaugh, don't listen to him. I sure don't. Send letters to the sponsors of his show (anybody know who they are?) and boycott their products. It's effective and it's great way to make your voice heard.

Posted by: MrCrash | January 26, 2009 8:27 PM

I don't care for Rush L but he is entitled to his opinion. We are a democracy and certainly have no room for censorship. Many Americans, including Obama supporters, said a lot worse about George Bush. A whole lot worse. Obama needs to back off and just let Rush talk. Obama is President and needs to expect this of those that did not support him. He should not even recognize the chatter. It is a free country (thank goodness for the USA) and we are all entitled to freedom of speech. Even when we disagree.

Posted by: Texan2007 | January 26, 2009 8:22 PM

The Republican politicians (and all the other bushies) can listen to Rush as much as they wish. But to have any credibility in discussions of any sort, they will have to do more than repeat Rush's political jokes. The country has moved beyond Dittoheads. Eight years of the Bush Administration has served as a wake-up call.

Posted by: Thependulumswings | January 26, 2009 8:19 PM

Jake D.

You are so typical that it hurts.

Like another here, I paid my dues in Vietnam and got a bellyfull of politics,
C-Rats, hypocrisies and a few chunks of a fragmentation grenade. I paid my dues, I'm as Patriotic as they come, but I will not condone a draft dodging, pill popping radio personality, as being anything but a charlatan. President Obama isn't your Prez?, well goody for you. Where were you in 1969/1970? What do you know about the meaning of life and the suddeness of death?

Have a great dinner and chew well buddy...

Posted by: Kaptah1 | January 26, 2009 8:09 PM

"To Rush and anybody who claims to knows whats right amidst all this chaos. Let's hear the other side loud and clear before we make this move!"
Posted by: GeneralWashington

But that's the problem. Rush Limbaugh has never offered even one positive solution to our economic problems. Why should he? He's living in a mansion, taking his oxycontin, and flying around on corporate jets- all provided by his foul mouth spewing of his constant litany of ridicule, hate, fear and ignorance.

Rush Limbaugh is an ugly fat moron who rants nothing but negativity. People who idolize him are usually ones that are cynical, unhappy with themselves, and hopeful that anyone different from themselves will fail.

Rush Limbaugh knows nothing, and if he did, he wouldn't offer it to President Obama.

Bring back the FCC Fairness regulation and put him off the air. If we can't do that then simply boycott all products that advertise on his "show." Same for Hannity and Glenn Beck.

Posted by: Luke2 | January 26, 2009 8:09 PM

All the comments about Rushs drug usage. How quickly you like to try and forget Obama and his drug use of heroin and all else he could get. He is still addicted to cigeretts and who knows what else. I hope he continues to smoke and dope and suffer the consequince.

Posted by: xantiphi | January 26, 2009 8:03 PM

Jake D.

Have a nice dinner Sir, you are a
GREAT AMERICAN...................

Posted by: Kaptah1 | January 26, 2009 8:01 PM

Luke2:

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 7:51 PM

The numbers:

13.5M/300M = 4.5% of America

53% of 125M votes cast = 66M votes.

66M/300M = 22% of America

Seems to me El Rushbo is outdone 5:1 by Obama. No wonder Rush is sniping--he's jealous of Obama's popularity.

Popularity by the ignorant masses aside, they're all statist clowns, so in reality this is one statist arguing with another whether the car goes over the cliff in the left lane or the right lane. It's ultimately unproductive and meaningless towards the final result, which is the car still goes over the cliff.

Posted by: Tannim123 | January 26, 2009 7:50 PM

For the record, I was responding directly, below, to billybett's "opinion" that Limbaugh is the most dangerous man in this country, along with the highly-learned legal position that mere words qualify as "TREASON!" Again, thanks for the laughs, guys. I do not wish anyone, even traitors, physical harm.

I am going out to dinner now (stimulating the economy) so I will see you all tomorrow.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 7:49 PM

Hogwash. Limbaugh is hardly representative of the "loyal opposition". He's a self-serving blowhard who cares only for his own aggrandizement and nothing for the future of this country, as evidenced by his own unbelievably arrogant response to Obama's comment.

Obama's right. Conservatives - true conservatives, not wingnuts - need to decide whether they are going to continue to let worthless, egomaniacal loudmouths dominate their party or roll up their sleeves and work to fix the giant mess we're in.

Posted by: SandraL | January 26, 2009 7:49 PM

The most important thing there is to do before making monumental decisions is to listen to all sides. Why on earth would Obama not want Republicans or for that matter anyone not to listen to another opinion? He has all the power. More than anyone ever had before with Congress on his side. Yet he is worried if you listen to a radio show? Disturbing. Does he think he can fix the economy when in fact no one living knows how. He is merely taking his advice from economic advisors that have been wrong before. What makes him so sure that his policies won't lead to a major collapse of the entire system. What if there was this last chance and he is blowing it forever. Not to listen to another opinion? Are you crazy? All we should do is listen and listen hard to anyone who says we are taking the wrong route. And debate the pros and cons.
Is Obama so sure that it wasn't his success in the polls that collapsed the stock market. When he beat Hillary the market crashed, his rising polls against McCain mirrored the declining Dow Jones on a daily basis.
Even if I am in favor of his policies, I was alarmed when he publicly announced his plans for a redistribution of the wealth. No one says this on national TV. We always knew that the poor would eventually gain the vote and power over the money, but it could have been been done without destroying the market. The investors are afraid of him. The new plans will put most of the work force to work for the government. We are following the path toward socialism that the socialist countries themselves are veering away from in envy of our great economy. We are taking 300 years of wisdom and throwing it in the garbage on a hunch. An impulsive rushed hunch that the Democrats know what they are doing. So sure that you can't listen anymore. No. We will listen and listen and listen hard. To Rush and anybody who claims to knows whats right amidst all this chaos. Let's hear the other side loud and clear before we make this move!

Posted by: GeneralWashington | January 26, 2009 7:48 PM

Rush Limbaugh- the fat, ugly moronic clown that has built a fortune by feeding the fear, hate, and ignorance of mostly uneducated poor white trash.

This is the cretin that escaped serving in the military during the Vietnam era by pleading physical disability due to having a pilonidal cyst- a cyst on his big fat butt. In World War II it was a common affliction that was called "Jeep disease" because so many soldiers got one from riding over rough terrain. It certainly didn't get them excused from combat.

Rush Limbaugh is a person who has made himself wealthy by fanning the flames of hate. I hope that the FCC fairness regulation is brought back to the media- It would put him out of business for good since his lies and distortions could not possibly stand up if a reasonable alternative discussion was presented. The buffoon needs to be sent packing.

Meanwhile,I refuse to buy any product that is advertised on his show.

And to jake the d: you should understand that President Obama is indeed your President if you are an American citizen. That's how democracy works.

Vietnam Veteran
Khe Sanh 1968

Posted by: Luke2 | January 26, 2009 7:47 PM

Changeontheway:

You weren't threatening physical harm to Rush, right?

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 7:41 PM

moosejerky:

Did you also wish that Bush's policies failed? Same thing, just in reverse.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 7:39 PM

Not at all, Kaptah1 -- there are plenty of legal ways to prevent Obama from speading socialism -- before the election, I also (accurately) predicted that he would not be sworn in as President on January 20, 2009. Nothing nefarious about that, was there?

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 7:38 PM

Now I understand that Rush hopes that Obama will fail in his term as President. That's nice, Rush. Have you considered what affect this will have on the country?

Well, I hope that Rush's heart fails. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want anything bad to happen to the guy. That wouldn't be nice.

It's just that Rush's heart is in the wrong place, insofar as Obama is concerned. So I hope that it fails. Nothing personal, mind you.

Posted by: moosejerky | January 26, 2009 7:35 PM

Jake D.

"pResident-Evil Obama is a danger to society and should not be allowed to continue spreading socialism."

Perhaps the secret service should look you up. This is akin to wishing the new President _ _ _ _ _ .

Posted by: Kaptah1 | January 26, 2009 7:34 PM

Well, at least he will have $500 million to defend himself against any such illegal action(s).

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 7:32 PM

Jake D.

You are just too generous calling this caricature a "man".

Limbaugh will be investigated by the IRS and a couple of other agencies for his being the "last man standing".

Mark my word...

Posted by: Kaptah1 | January 26, 2009 7:28 PM

parkerfl1:

IIRC, Air America went bankrupt. That's not Rush Limbaugh's fault.

racam (and Kaptah1):

The FCC, just like the rest of the government, is prohibited from "abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances". See also my comment, above, to parkerfl1.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 7:27 PM

JakeD-
I'm not afraid of a boy (not a man because he never matured) like Rush speaking up, though he bores me to tears. I'm just amazed and distraught that so many are stupid enough to believe him. His influence has seriously retarded the advancement of this nation.

Most of us are in the mood for adults to run the country now, so let him continue to make it more and more obvious that he is not one. He'll be one more childish thing that we will eventually put away.

Posted by: rooster54 | January 26, 2009 7:26 PM

Forgot to mention:

THE FAIRNESS DOCTRINE WILL RETURN

Or at least something like it that will muzzle the rabid delivery of hate and bigotry that 'El Rushbo', anorexic Coulter,
bigot Hannity, and so many others, spew out to their disciples.

Posted by: Kaptah1 | January 26, 2009 7:24 PM

Kaptah1:

Amazing how the Obamanics call criticism "treason" now that their guys are in power. Luckily, for me, I remain registered Independent and can appreciate the irony.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 7:22 PM

Limbaugh is such a joke. Obama needn't spend much time on him...

Does anyone realize what conservative outrage commenced when liberal commentators voiced similar opinions - many far less incendiary than Rush's - about George Bush?

This is hypocrisy run wild. Ignoring it is the best way to defeat it...

Posted by: parkerfl1 | January 26, 2009 7:21 PM

I can't imagine how the FCC allows Rush to mock and spew hate when no one else is allowed to. This man is nothing but a hate monger and racist and does not deserve my comments.

Posted by: racam | January 26, 2009 7:20 PM

To avoid the abuses of the English law (including executions by Henry VIII of those who criticized his repeated marriages), treason was specifically defined in the United States Constitution, the only crime so defined. Article III Section 3 delineates treason as follows:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Constitution does not itself create the offense; it only restricts the definition and permits Congress to create the offense. The crime is prohibited by legislation passed by Congress. Therefore the United States Code at 18 U.S.C. § 2381 states "whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States." The requirement of testimony of two witnesses was inherited from the British Treason Act 1695 (Since 1945, however, this has been abolished in British law and treason cases are now subject to the same rules of evidence and procedure as a murder trial).

In the history of the United States there have been fewer than 40 federal prosecutions for treason and even fewer convictions. Several men were convicted of treason in connection with the 1794 Whiskey Rebellion but were pardoned by President George Washington. One of American history's most notorious traitors, in which his name is considered synonymous with the definition of traitor, is Benedict Arnold. The most famous treason trial, that of Aaron Burr in 1807 (See Burr conspiracy), resulted in acquittal. Politically motivated attempts to convict opponents of the Jeffersonian Embargo Acts and the Fugitive Slave Law of 1850 all failed. Most states have provisions in their constitutions or statutes similar to those in the U.S. Constitution. There have been only two successful prosecutions for treason on the state level, that of Thomas Dorr in Rhode Island and that of John Brown in Virginia.

Even American Taliban, Johnnie Walker Linhd, was not convicted of treason. You think that RUSH LIMBAUGH will be?! LOL!!!

Thanks for the laughs : )

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 7:19 PM

Amazing how the 'Lemmings' will follow in lock step to this Obese Capricorn.
Limbaugh is the epitome of what has ailed this country the last eight years.

Despite his self made wealth, his obscene trappings and corporate jets, he is still just a big, fat, loser.

It's too bad that many will 'Rush' to his defense as they ironically defend the 'annointed one', the new 'messiah'.

While they're at it, I suppose a buyer for
the Spruced Goose can be found in that mob.

Ditto Heads? Isn't that just another way of saying "brainless" ?

Posted by: Kaptah1 | January 26, 2009 7:18 PM

billybett:

Because the Sedition Act was repealed long ago -- treason requires an actual ACT in furtherance thereof, not just words -- you guys sure are afraid of one man speaking up, aren't you?

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 7:13 PM

Habubeemer-
Getting rich and famous for doing nothing of real value is nothing worthy of my respect. You can ogle over that clown all you want.

Rush's example is the antithesis of Jesus', which makes it even clearer, since religious right dittoheads support him, how incredibly twistd he has helped this country become.

I think Dante would have him eating blood-soaked money for a long time in a contemporary version of The Divine Comedy.

Posted by: rooster54 | January 26, 2009 7:12 PM

It is my opinion that Limbaugh is the most dangerous man in this country. He preaches sedition, hatred, hopes for the president's failure, and in general gives aid and comfort to the enemy by preaching against everything American. Lies and twisted half-truths are his stock in trade! He has sold out to the money-mongers. He and Hannity have no shame!!

I think that qualifies as TREASON!

Why isn't he charged?

Posted by: billybett | January 26, 2009 7:10 PM

repugnicant:

You answer MY question to you first: "Just like it 'sank' him for over 20 years?"

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 7:06 PM

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 7:04 PM

Such silliness here. Did you read President Obama's quote closely? He was simply using an example of partisonship people can relate to. And make the point that it doesn't get things done. Why would Obama give a hoot about Rush. Rush is just a very rich man who self-promotes himself and found his niche. He isn't a man of ideas or a man of action. Who cares. Everyone knows Rush is just a neutered donkey, braying and braying.

Remember it was Rush who was promoting Palin for VP. Hmmm, maybe he does have a good role because that sure helped all of us.

Posted by: lucy2008 | January 26, 2009 7:03 PM

JakeD. Dude, where's your brain? When Rush wants your opinion he'll give it to you. Tell me about the respectful dialogue he's had with guests on his show with a differing point of view...Well...We're waiting.

Posted by: repugnicant | January 26, 2009 7:03 PM

As a radio officer on a munitions ship in the merchant marine during Desert Storm it seemed as though listening to the Armed Forces Radio Network would be a pleasant distraction. I was wrong. Aside from no less than three hours a day of Limbaugh listing all the ways he hated President Clinton and the Democrats it was boring as hell, and more interesting to hear the rumbling of the ship's engines. I wonder who is in charge of the programming schedule, and how he managed to get transferred from Goebbel's Volkische Beobachter. America rejected the GOP's climate of hatred last November, but like a roadkill skunk, Limbo still fouls the air. Maybe it'd be more charitable to just let him chill out on his Oxycontin. It'd be a relief not to have to tune in on chamber music from the BBC.

Posted by: hlandis2 | January 26, 2009 7:03 PM

SueMVetforObama:
Rush is a college drop-out, obese and a drug addict with a big mouth. Some role model, eh?

Exactly what have YOU done? Are you a self made multi-millionaire with 14 million listeners of you own radio broadcast company. Do you own a multi-million dollar mansion or fly a multi-million dollar corporate jet. Or get invitations to the White House? Or get called personally by two Presidents on your birthday? Or have influence on the current excuse for a President enough for him to comment on it. What HAVE you done? Anything? What role model are YOU eh? Or are you some 14 year old with a big mouth lurking on the internet like rooster54, Mike Murdock, or Changeontheway who thinks freedom of speech is treason? Surprised he can spell the word. Certainly doesn't know what it is. Twit!

Posted by: Habubeemer | January 26, 2009 7:02 PM

faithinflight:

Were you posting to "Russ" or "Rush"?

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:59 PM

Here is what I like, Diplomacy!!! Obama knows what Rush stands for and what he will say. You'd almost think he was baiting Rush to attach him so that, if he does good, Rush will look bad!! What a bunch of little kids. I thought we were all grown ups. Do what is best and stop the sand kicking.

Posted by: news21046 | January 26, 2009 6:57 PM

ART13:

Are you a fan?

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:55 PM

Rush couldn't finish more than one year of college with his parents footing the entire bill. He never had the discipline or humilty to question the prejudiced notions of his adolescence, so he completely regressed to the familiar. Now he's just an overgrown kid, with an undeserved reputation for having any idea what he's talking about. It's amazing how he took a nation with him into the circular logic of perpetual ignorance, and thereby, made himself and his followers impervious to reason.

Was it Socrates who said "An unexamined life isn't worth living"?

Barack was right when he said the right wing base was proud of its ignorance.

Posted by: rooster54 | January 26, 2009 6:54 PM

SueMVetforObama:

Careful, because Michael Shear (or some intern?) listened to Rush today.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:53 PM

russellfreemanstigall:

Too bad "President" Obama couldn't memorize 35 words then ; )

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:52 PM

Only people who are incapable of their own coherent thought listen to him.

Posted by: SueMVetforObama | January 26, 2009 6:51 PM

JakeD:

I once saw Letterman do a show without a script too. What does that mean?

I don't care if Limbaugh reads from a physical script or not. He is certainly capable of memorizing his lines.

When Obama does his weekly videos you can see his eyes reading a script. It's not the reading of the script that matters, it's what is in the script.

Posted by: russellfreemanstigall | January 26, 2009 6:49 PM

repugnicant:

Just like it "sank" him for over 20 years? LOL!!!

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:48 PM

Oh that Limbaugh could say so much in so few words.

Posted by: ART13 | January 26, 2009 6:46 PM

I'm a bit surprised at Barack. Why acknowledge Flush Rimjob at all? Let the
weight of his ignorant self importance sink him.

Posted by: repugnicant | January 26, 2009 6:46 PM

gkg020:

Why the ad hominem personal attacks? Afraid of dealing with the substantive issues?

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:44 PM

Michael Murdock,

Most of the time I don't waste time on this kind of thing but You are nothing but a sh*t salesman with a mouth full of samples. I have yet to see Obama do anything that relates to encouraging anyone to take out their wallet and start spending to help the economy. It hasn't been anything but reverse Bush policy, allow the hiring of a tax cheat to head up the IRS, and worry about closing GITMO without a plan of what to do with the prisoners housed there. Now he is worried about stem cell research and other non-revenue generating causes. In other words, a lot of show but no go on anything related to stimulating the economy. All of the mentions you make of helping our people are NOT happening. I guess you really are disabled. You can't see, you can't hear, and you can't think for yourself. As far as the rest of you attacking Rush Limbaugh, apparently Obama must have the time to worry about it or there wouldn't be the comments made that he did. Does he have the time for that? Or is he really worried that he is going to be exposed for what he really is. I want to see all of your faces when the Obama honeymoon is over. You won't have the last laugh. It will be on you.

Posted by: Habubeemer | January 26, 2009 6:43 PM

Don't worry, Russ... We're just getting started. And with regard to Obama taking on bipartisan politics and uniting everyone - it's obvious that people like you do not want things like unity.

Here's to God and his wonderful sense of humor in sending Obama to us!!!

Hail to Chief Obama!!!

Posted by: faithinflight | January 26, 2009 6:42 PM

Does anyone with any sense listen when drug addicts speak?

Posted by: gkg020 | January 26, 2009 6:40 PM

JakeD,
Your idol, Roberts, was the one who botched the oath.

Posted by: rooster54 | January 26, 2009 6:38 PM

Does anyone think that Michael D. Shear is a regular Limbaugh listener? There's ONE increase right there ; )

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:37 PM

mullen3:

He's not my "President" but Obama is INCREASING Rush Limbaugh's ratings. I say "Keep it up, usurper!"

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:36 PM

russellfreemanstigall:

Not quite, since I've seen video of him doing the show without notes too (keep in mind that we all saw what happens when The One tries to take a 35-word oath sans teleprompter).

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:35 PM

Rush Limbaugh is pregnant with Ayn Rand's two-headed love child.

Posted by: rooster54 | January 26, 2009 6:34 PM

Just take our President's suggestion and don't waste time listening to Mush Lamebrain.

Posted by: mullen3 | January 26, 2009 6:33 PM

Changeontheway:

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:33 PM

As an Independent voter and a former registered democrat( voted Pres. W. Bush and Pres. Obama in past elections) and a veteran of the US Armed Forces, I enjoy the fact that Pres. Obama mentioned Rush Limbaugh in his speech. This adds CREDENCE to Rush Limbaugh as an effective conservative radio speaker. Imagine what the US would be without FREE SPEECH?! Irregardless of what are political affiliation is... be it democrat, republican, liberal or conservative, the USA is still the greatest nation on earth.
We have the freedom of express ourselves. And boy am I enjoying reading fellow Americans locking horns over politics!

Posted by: Maximvs1yahoocom | January 26, 2009 6:32 PM

Limbaugh is an actor. There is no real Rush-bo. He reads a script. His scripts are as much fiction as “Cheers” or “Everybody Love Raymond.” Entertaining, but useless for parsing actual world events and policy.
To base your world view off of Limbaugh's scripts and public persona is the same as basing your world view off of Pee Wee’s Playhouse.

Posted by: russellfreemanstigall | January 26, 2009 6:31 PM

You guys are going to get very familiar with the FIRST AMENDMENT really quickly ...

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:31 PM

Isn't against the law to go to foreign country for the purpose of having sex with minors?

Posted by: thebobbob | January 26, 2009 6:27 PM

The new President of the United States is having a verbal sparring match with a radio talk show host. I hope the leaders of foriegn countries don't see this childish behavior.

Posted by: robtr | January 26, 2009 6:27 PM

I noticed today on CNN that Mr. Limbaugh was backpeddling from his original remarks about our President. He clearly stated that he wanted President Obama to fail, then when President Obama responded to him Limbaugh ran for cover. Today, he changed his wording.....Limbaugh stated he supported OBama, just not his policies. Well, for the past year he has been slicing and dicing the Democratic Party, now he has stated that he wants our new president, President Obama to fail. He said it many times until he got scared and backed off, but the facts remain the same, he is a terroist with a mic and has an audience.

First, Limbaugh has committed treason against the United States. His comments warrant criminal charges.

Second, the FCC should shut his program down. This man has been convicted of doctor shopping, due to his addiction of medications, he has made threats to our new administration and is overall offensive. He screams that character matters, but he has no character, he is a very evil and disruptive person.

What he has done makes Don Imus's situation pale.

Rush Limbaugh is a danger to society and should not be allowed to continue spreading his hate and racism.

Posted by: Changeontheway | January 26, 2009 6:26 PM

As I noted, below, every mention by "President" Obama increases Rush Limbaugh's ratings. Keep it up, usurper!

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:26 PM

Let's toss a slab of bacon outside of Mush Lamebrain's hidey hole and lure him out, then we can put him in a cage and feed him blood-soaked money 'til he can't take anymore. The problem is that it may not be possible to feed him enough blood soaked money. What a gluttonous, immoral, unrepentant perpetrator of evil ignorance!

Let's just lure him out the way Obama's seems to be doing, taunt him a little, and provoke his legion of demons to rant and rave, until it becomes obvious to even the most dense neocon that Rush is a pathetic, angry, immoral, reprobate, who should only be taken seriously as a study of pathology.

Posted by: rooster54 | January 26, 2009 6:23 PM

coralights:

Who defended Limbaugh (assuming you meant to post about the topic) SOLELY based on his being wealthy?! I listen when I can because he is right too.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:19 PM

Puleeeeeeze people, Rush is nothing but a showman and will do anything to further himself along that line. He is a pitiful excuse for a person, ask any of his numerous ex-wives, or junkie pals. Does he have a role as a member of the loyal opposition? NO, he has no loyality to anyone but Rush. So you Ditto heads who can not think for yourself you go ahead and listen to Rush and keep drinking the Kool-Aid to washdown the BS he is feeding you all.

Posted by: johnbirch | January 26, 2009 6:18 PM

pResident-Evil Obama is not MY President.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:17 PM

It's sad when the only thing you can say to defend Limberger is that he's financially wealthy - I think most VERY rich people are morally bankrupt with very, very few exceptions - like Bill Gates.

Posted by: coralights | January 26, 2009 6:17 PM

wessia1:

I am certainly an American, and I proudly took my oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL enemies, foreign or domestic.

helenc:

Didn't you want George W. Bush to fail?

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:14 PM

dylan915:

All because he wants socialism to fail?

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:10 PM

JakeD:

You've been spouting you BS throughout this entire election. Hate to break it to you, but President Obama IS your president. That is of course as long as you still consider yourself and American.

Posted by: wessia1 | January 26, 2009 6:10 PM

wessia1:

I agree that we 13.5 million have got a lot of work to do to get this country out of the gutter, that's for sure.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:09 PM

What a pathetic miserable excuse of a human being Limbaugh is. He has no credible intelligent credentials , and yet he spews his hatred and ugly resent into the air like pollution.
He has nothing to offer as any valuable solution to America's problems, and in fact would serve Fascism far better.
This is a man with no American spirit. His country is his ego, and he would sacrifice the very fabric of America unity and faith, just to create any desperate attention he can feed it with.
He's great for the Republican's though; As long as he is their mouth piece they will continue to alienate themselves further from the new era of voters, and will will be their demise !!

Posted by: dylan915 | January 26, 2009 6:09 PM

President Obama,
May I recommend that you totally ignore Limbaugh??

He is not really worth getting so upset over

Posted by: helenc | January 26, 2009 6:08 PM

yvberj:

Are you aware that the First Amendment prohibits the government from "abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"?

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:08 PM

JakeD:

..."The Rush Limbaugh Show" had a minimum weekly audience of 13.5 million listeners, making it the largest radio talk show audience in the United States."

If that's the case, we've got a lot of work to do to get this country out of the gutter...

Posted by: wessia1 | January 26, 2009 6:08 PM

Dante said it best in Inferno" Canto 33:

"But now reach out your hand; open my eyes."
aprimi li occhi." E io non gliel' apersi; And yet I did not open them for him;
e cortesia fu lui esser villano. and it was courtesy to show him rudeness."

Posted by: gary4books | January 26, 2009 6:07 PM

NativeSonofTexas:

As you well know, Texas went for the other guy. pResident-Evil Obama is not MY President.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:06 PM

Limbaugh: A pompous fool.

His Listeners: Just plain fools.

Posted by: yvberj | January 26, 2009 6:05 PM

Fjet2020:

Mr. Rush Limbaugh to you -- he made $33 million in 2007 and it was reported that Limbaugh signed a contract extension through 2016 that is worth over $400 million, breaking records for any broadcast medium — television or radio -- last time I checked (2006) Arbitron ratings indicated that "The Rush Limbaugh Show" had a minimum weekly audience of 13.5 million listeners, making it the largest radio talk show audience in the United States.

You really should know what you are talking about before you post.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 6:04 PM

Rush didn't even qualify to bee the Monday Night Football announcer! Somebody, somewhere must have known something. We don't need "druggies" doing football analysis, much less arguing with our President. EL Rushbo is history and not even good history...

Posted by: NativeSonofTexas | January 26, 2009 6:03 PM

Rush Limbaugh is the poster child for the Ku Klux Klan.

Posted by: hamishdad | January 26, 2009 6:02 PM

For the two of you who are wondering why this WaPo report seems oddly tilted in BHO's favor, note that the WaPo helped BHO promote an ad containing outrageous lies about Limbaugh back in September:

Even the NYT and JoeKlein later came out against those ads, but the WaPo never printed a proper apology for promoting such an outrageous smear.

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | January 26, 2009 6:01 PM

Obe sets the trap - fox is the rat and limburger is the cheese!

;-0

Posted by: coralights | January 26, 2009 6:01 PM

Interesting that supposedly tough-on-crime Limbaugh escaped jail for his illegal drug purchases when so many others have gotten years behind bars for it.

Posted by: hairguy01 | January 26, 2009 6:00 PM

Rush who? Yawn...

Posted by: Fjet2020 | January 26, 2009 5:58 PM

Perhaps you can cite some sources for, "Limbaugh, who is known for his frequent self-promotion." I do not believe that his statements such as, "Half my brain tied behind my back; just to make it fair," would qualify.

DJ

Posted by: joe_at_stavka | January 26, 2009 5:53 PM

Limbaugh bristles at Obama. SO?

Posted by: PJW5552 | January 26, 2009 5:49 PM

LOL! :-D

Soooo, if O'Bomba is the Messiah...

"What a Rush" is the Heretic?

Where does that leave poor Santa Raton? ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | January 26, 2009 5:48 PM

Looks like Rush can dish it out, but can't take it.

About time some knocked him down a couple of notches.

Posted by: blarsen1 | January 26, 2009 5:43 PM

Limbaugh is the pied piper of morons.

Posted by: rooster54 | January 26, 2009 5:41 PM

Every mention by "President" Obama increases Rush Limbaugh's ratings.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2009 5:37 PM

MR. PRESIDENT, THE "PITCHFORK PEOPLE" LISTEN TO RUSH...

...PEOPLE YOU NEED TO WIN OVER TO YOUR SIDE, OR AT LEAST CO-OPT AND DISARM.

AND WHO HAS BEEN GROOMING AND CULTIVATING THE PITCHFORK PEOPLE FROM POSITIONS OF GOVERNMENTAL POWER?

PLEASE READ THIS:

Posted by: scrivener50 | January 26, 2009 5:24 PM

Enough with this vulgar, neo-Goebbelsian loudmouth called Limbaugh! Why is he even mentioned by the Post? If President Obama refers to him for whatever reason, do we have to amplify it? Enough!!

Posted by: Makhno1 | January 26, 2009 5:22 PM

Oh Rush, stop being such a meglomanic. Barrack's not frighten of you just merely repulsed by the foul stench that comes from you whenever you open your mouth. You are a pompus windbag who cares for neither country or party but for your own self agrandizement. It is nothing to be frighten of but something to pity.

Posted by: dre7861 | January 26, 2009 5:22 PM

Good for Limbaugh to bristle. Perhaps he can scare the recession away.

The guy has a mouth wider than the Grand Canyon and the only thing keeping him alive is his addition to drugs.

It's pretty sad and I'll be one of the first Republicans to say it that the campaign we ran was messed up. We deserved to lose. Why? Because we gave the american people nothing to look forward to.

People are tired of living in fear that is perpetuated by those at the top who are comfy in their positions and look down on the rest of us. We're not going to take it any longer.

America spoke very loudly and said that the politics of fear have no more place in our lives. We want CHANGE.

In the past 4 days President has lit more fires in Washington than California has put out in the past year and there's more to come. I am impressed. As a US NAVY DISABLED VETERAN I am impressed.

I have voted Republican since Reagan with the exception of Perot and that's only because I thought the Jug-Ear'd-Little-Martian would have won. He had some good ideas, but no legs to stand on.

President Obama has come in at the right time, and has a lot of work to do, and is getting to work doing it. I say though spend more time here at home fixing our country than overseas fixing those.

Our people need bailing out, NOT the Auto Industry, Not the Banks, but the PEOPLE who got roped in by those people. Bail us out and we'll spend money buying cars and homes again. Not the other way around.

Stop outsourcing jobs we can do here overseas. We don't need to subsidize their economy. We need to subsidize OUR ECONOMY.

And Rush...well here's ALL I have to say about him:

Limbaugh is a loud mouthed-buffoon who's ARICEPT prescription is running out. Someone should stuff a sock in him and leave him in a corner. He's OLD NEWS. He's not THE news. Heck IMUS is much better and not addicted to 1/2 the things that Limbaugh is. And Rush...before you even think about it, go and read that 1st Amendment and kiss my red, white, and blue backside.

Time to be American, MAN UP and SUPPORT OUR NEW PRESIDENT AND OUR COUNTRY. Don't like it here? Turn in your passport...and leave.

Michael Murdock