Sen. Kennedy Has Seizure

Updated 5:36 p.m.
By Paul Kane and Shailagh Murray
Sen. Edward M. Kennedy collapsed during a post-inaugural luncheon with Congress and President Obama, having suffered a seizure doctors said was brought on by "simple fatigue."

Kennedy, who was diagnosed last year with brain cancer, was shaking and convulsing, according to Senate staff who were present at the luncheon. Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) and Kennedy's wife, Vicki, held the senator as his convulsions took place, before he was taken out of the luncheon in a reclining wheelchair, according to Teresa Heinz Kerry, who sat one table over from Kennedy.

Lawmakers at the lunch said the seizure lasted five to 10 minutes. Sen. Kerry said Kennedy was conscious after leaving the room, before being taken by ambulance to Washington Hospital Center.

"After testing, we believe the incident was brought on by simple fatigue," said Dr. Edward Aulisi, chairman of neurosurgery at Washington Hospital Center, in a statement Tuesday afternoon. "Senator Kennedy is awake, talking with family and friends, and feeling well. He will remain at the Washington Hospital Center overnight for observation, and will be released in the morning."

Hospital spokeswoman Vickie Dempsey said Kennedy's wife and son Patrick are at the hospital with him and that President Obama had called to check on him, but she didn't think Obama had spoken to him directly.

Sen. Ted Kennedy hugged President Obama at the congressional luncheon after Obama's inauguration, then later collapsed at the meal. (Yuri Gripas/Reuters)

Sen. John D. Rockefeller IV (D-W.Va.) described hearing a cough when the Kennedy episode began, followed by a "cough, a silence throughout the room." Rockefeller said Obama "went over immediately to be helpful." He said the lights in the room were dimmed, as a large crowd gathered around Kennedy.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said Kennedy flashed him "an Irish smile" as the Massachusetts Democrat was wheeled out to an ambulance. Hatch told reporters, "I think he's going to be okay, but it's a tough thing."

Sen. Robert C. Byrd (D-W.Va.), who was sitting at the same table with Kennedy, was taken from the room by staff moments before medical personnel arrived to assist Kennedy. Byrd's exit from the room was related to Kennedy's condition and not any medical problems of his own, said Kerry. "He was concerned about what was happening with Senator Kennedy," Kerry told reporters.

Senators said they spoke with Kennedy over the past 24 hours and had no sense anything was amiss. "When I saw him this morning he was in great shape," said Sen John "Jay" Rockefeller III (D-W. Va.).

Obama began his remarks to congressional leaders with somber words for his close friend, whose endorsement a year ago provided a huge lift, following Obama's defeat in the New Hampshire primary. Obama said of Kennedy that his "prayers are with him."

Obama noted that Kennedy was his most prominent early backer, and described how their families had bonded over the campaign.

"Right now a part of me is with him," Obama said. He added later: "This is a joyous time and this is a sobering time."

Obama departed the Capitol about 45 minutes late for his inaugural parade.

2:25 p.m.
President Obama has begun his presidency with the world's ultimate power lunch, the post-swearing-in luncheon for new presidents hosted by congressional leaders in the Capitol's Statuary Hall.

Obama, Vice President Joseph R. Biden, their families, Cabinet nominees, and top advisers are seated with top congressional leaders, two former presidents, three former vice presidents, two unsuccessful presidential nominees and other notable political figures, across 23 tables in a room ringed with statues dedicated to the nation's heroes.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), chairwoman of the Presidential Inaugural Committee, just welcomed more than 200 guests to a three-course meal: seafood stew, duck breast with cherry chutney or herb-roasted pheasant, and apple cinnamon sponge cake.

Feinstein is offering guests several different California-based wines.

The seating chart is a Who's Who of power players.

Seated at a head table with the Obamas and Bidens are Feinstein and her husband, Richard Blum; House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and her husband, Paul; and the House and Senate chaplains, Father Coughlin and the Rev. Barry Black.

Table 5 includes a combustible mix of figures -- Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who lost the presidential race to Obama; Rahm Emanuel, the new White House chief of staff; and Ken Salazar, the Interior secretary-designate.

Next to them, at Table 7, is a collection of family and the powerful: Michelle Obama's mother and brother, Treasury Secretary-designate Timothy Geithner, former vice president Al Gore and wife Tipper, as well as Chief Justice John Roberts.

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.), dressed in rodeo gear, paid his respects to Obama as soon as the guests started eating, bowing out early so he could get ready for his appearance in the inaugural parade in which he'll be riding a horse with a Montana float.

Media were then ushered out for the private portion of the meal, which is followed up with a presentation of gifts to the new president from Congress.

By Web Politics Editor  |  January 20, 2009; 3:32 PM ET
Categories:  44 The Obama Presidency , B_Blog , Inauguration Week
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Antarctic Climate Researchers Hold Distant Inaugural Celebration
Next: Daschle Tends to Ill Family Member

Comments

Obamaniacs:

If he had REFUSED to take any oath yesterday, would you still think he was President?

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

The Presidential oath is explicitly prescribed in the Constitution, Article II, Section 1, which begins by saying the president "shall" take the oath "before he enter on the execution of his office."

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Noted Constitutional legal scholar, Chuck Todd, says the oath flub "didn't matter". We'll see about that.

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

You can't get enough of "At Last". One more Inaugural Ball.

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm retired from giving legal advice. just watching all the Balls.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey jaked,
when you and the rest of the CRACKERS get a fresh refill of swill from right wing hate radio let us know more about your birth certificate and the black helicopters flying over our neighborhoods!!!!!!

Posted by: knjincvc | January 20, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey jaked,

Posted by: knjincvc | January 20, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

HEEY jaked,

Hey jaked,A black helicopter flies over my house everyday about the same time; who do I call?

Posted by: knjincvc | January 20, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Read my posts below.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

smc91:

I am deadly serious. Obama was not legally sworn in today.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 8:31 PM
------------------
And yet he was. What evidence do you have that he wasn't?

Posted by: smc91 | January 20, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

smc91:

I am deadly serious. Obama was not legally sworn in today.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Legally, Biden began his Acting Presidency today if Obama is not a "natural born" citizen.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 2:30 PM
--------------
Didn't you predict Obama wouldn't be sworn in today, even after he won the election? You're not to be taken seriously.

Posted by: smc91 | January 20, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

For the record, my first post was on topic (but the headline / update switched to Kennedy).

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Ah, glad to see JakeD is on the island with the last few holdouts. Let me help you with this:

President Barrack HUSSEIN Obama

BB

It was kinda funny today when Rush kept bleeping out the H-word

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | January 20, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I think the fundamental shift in the democratic party and the republican party over the last 10 years is the democratic party now isolates its 15% fringe retards to the sidelines and the republican party celebrates its 15% fringe retards. Just the opposite of the 80's and 90's. The posts on this blog show it clearly

Posted by: chet_brewer | January 20, 2009 6:10 PM
-------
well stated, chet_brewer.

I wandered over here in search of news about Ted Kennedy, but I am not surprised to see the off-topic discussion, especially since Jake is dominating the posts. See him for what he really is at this post:

Posted by: spqr2k | January 20, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

JRM2:

BTW, I am a huge geek.

And, I love how irritated Libertarians get when the law is in question.

I love BIG government and lots of regulation; oversight committees, IG offices, whistleblowers and mass torts against corporations. Mmmmm torts. Can't get enough of 'em. Can we expand the IRS and SEC? I’m sure they could use a few more inspectors in their corporate audit divisions.

I need to put down the laptop and spend some quality time with my son.

Posted by: professor70 | January 20, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

professor70:

I have no problem with Obama's mother being a "natural born" citizen -- she is not the one purporting to take the oath of office today -- as you can see, some people resort to ad hominem personal attacks even though they refuse to answer simple questions. Rahm has other problems from Illinois that he should be worried about.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

GERM-Oops, JRM2- Actually, the Candidate JakeD supported even over Mitt Romney, I found to be a very competent selection-even though I still prefer the Mittster myself.

Alan Keyes!

Surprised? :-o

Posted by: SAINT---The | January 20, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Has Ted Kennedy died yet? That's the only news that would be truly cheerful today.....

Posted by: WildBill1 | January 20, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

JakeD,

Here's my olive branch. Rahm Emmanuel served a non-combatent for the Israeli Defence Forces in the early 1990's. As Israel has consistently spied on the US military, should he be denied a Top Secret security clearance and be denied the position of White House Chief of Staff?

It would be nearly impossible for most people with his background to get a CIA clearance.

Posted by: professor70 | January 20, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

professor70: JakeD is a troll who from day one for whatever reasons has had it in for Obama, he cannot accept that his candidate lost the election, that Palin is a nit-wit who can't even answer soft-ball questions and that conservatism for the past 8 years has been an abject failure and disaster for the American public, so, he resorts to childish word-play to try and incite others by posting off-topic accusations.

And it works, it gives him the attention he craves.

Posted by: JRM2 | January 20, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

JRM2:

I buy the sovereign territory argument regarding McCain's natural-born citizenship; it's quite valid. Besides, his parents were citizens and that's what matters. I have no issue with McCain's eligibility to become president.

I wonder about JakeD, though. I think deep down inside he'd have to examine it legally. Jake can't seem to accept that Obama's mother was a US citizen from Kansas and had a son and that her son is also a natural born citizen.

Posted by: professor70 | January 20, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

JakeD: If pigs had wings they could fly, do you think you are more qualified or knowledgeable than Supreme Court Justice Roberts?

Because if can prove you are then I will retract my statements.

In other words the most qualified person in the land saw it fit to swear Barack Hussein Obama into the office of the Presidency today.

So much for "marking" your words.

no "ifs" ands or buts

"If" is a magic word, I can attach it to any statement.

So if the mainstream media is "liberal" why wouldn't you support the fairness doctrine so conservative views could share equal time?

Posted by: JRM2 | January 20, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Biden is, technically, Acting President.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Legally speaking, there's no requirement for the President to be sworn in by the Chief Justice or anyone else. He could simply recite the oath (correctly) himself.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone read about cheney/bush commuting the sentences of the two boarder guards who killed a Mexican and then tried to cover up the killing?

Posted by: knjincvc | January 20, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

JRM2 (I doubt you will answer my questions either way):

Q. Has it occurred to you that the one man who would be most qualified to make a judgement on Obama's constitutional eligibility to be President of the United States of America, who would also have an ax to grind with Obama was the one who SWORE HIM IN today?

A. If Obama is not a "natural born" citizen, it was an illegal oath (not to mention he didn't say it correctly -- as an alleged CONSTITUTIONAL LAW PROFESSOR, he should have at least recited the oath correctly, regardless of what CJ Roberts said -- in answer to professor70's question, it doesn't matter how many times he purports to take an illegal oath).

Q. Or did that one slip past you?

A. No.

Q. Your comments on "the liberal mainstream media" must mean that you are in favor of reinstating "the fairness doctrine?"

A. No.

Q: Do you think it was intentional, some kind of childish way of getting back at Obama?

A: No, but it was funny.

Q: Care to answer my two questions?

A: I've answered ALL (FIVE) of your questions.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

JakeD: That is because you cannot adequately answer my question so you retreat like an intellectual coward.

You don't mind plugging up every forum with your off-topic accusations but when someone asks you a valid question you run and hide.

You are a coward and I seriously doubt you were ever a lawyer because your logic just doesn't add up.

I think your life is just one big lie after another.

Posted by: JRM2 | January 20, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey jaked,

Posted by: knjincvc | January 20, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

It matter's because you have used case law and federal procedure examples as well as libertarian political ideology to substantiate your case against Obama's position as a natural-born citizen. That's all.

Now let me ask you this question JakeD: Cheif Justice Roberts improperly administered the Oath of Office of the President of the United States. Does this mean that Biden is still technically president? Should Obama have to redo it just as Coolidge did?

Cal's dad, a notary public, swore him in. And after some criticism was raised, he did over with a Supreme Court Justice.

Posted by: professor70 | January 20, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

So, you want me to answer your questions, but you get to dismiss my questions as "infantile fantasies"? I think not.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

So Jake, do you think it was intentional, some kind of childish way of getting back at Obama?

I really don't care about you infantile fantasies, care to answer my two questions?

Posted by: JRM2 | January 20, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA FLUBS:

1) Glover Cleveland, whose two terms were not consecutive, is considered both the 22nd and 24th President;

2) "I will execute the Office of President of the United States faithfully";

3) "The capital had been abandoned ..." when there was no capital in 1776-77;

4) Attributing Thomas Paine's words to General Washington; and (my personal favorite)

5) Michele Obama not knowing which hand to shake between Laura or George Bush at the White House beforehand.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

JRM2:

You mean, the one who tripped him up today?

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

"So if McCain had won the election, then you have to consider Sarah Palin the rightful President of the United States at this moment, based upon your concerns regarding "natural-born citizens".

Posted by: professor70 | "
-----
McCain was born on a military installation in Panama which qualifies him as a natural born citizen.

Posted by: JRM2 | January 20, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

professor70:

No (his parents were BOTH citizens and of legal age, so he is considered a "natural born" citizen). Now, can you answer my question to you: "What does it matter what political party I belong to or if foreigners serve in the US Armed Forces without citizenship?"

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

"You are correct to note that CNN and the rest of the liberal mainstream media have simply dismissed any questions about Constitutional Qualifications...
Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 6:34 PM"
---------
JakeD, has it occurred to you that the one man who would be most qualified to make a judgement on Obama's constitutional eligibility to be President of the United States of America, who would also have an ax to grind with Obama was the one who SWORE HIM IN today? Or did that one slip past you?

Also, re: your comments on "the liberal mainstream media" must mean that you are in favor of reinstating "the fairness doctrine?"

Posted by: JRM2 | January 20, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

JakeD,

Posted by: professor70 | January 20, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

He must have heard that John Cornyn was going to talk about how John F. Kennedy was an inspiration to him! ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | January 20, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Another chapter of the "Curse of the Kennedies"?

Posted by: esvazquez | January 20, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Reading these comments makes me wish I had more Republican friends, neighbors and co-workers.

Not.

Posted by: officermancuso | January 20, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

You are correct to note that CNN and the rest of the liberal mainstream media have simply dismissed any questions about Constitutional Qualifications -- I don't believe them about that, but there's no incentive for them to lie about Kennedy -- I will hug my wife just as soon as she gets home, thank you very much ; )

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Well if you want to believe CNN, then apparently, Obama is a US citizen. Your crusade is all done.

Go and give your family a hug and be grateful they don't have brain tumors. It's ranks up there as one scariest things that can happen to a family member.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | January 20, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

More examples of the Kennedy ego!
He should resign and concetrate on his health rather than wasting taxpayer even more dollars....

Posted by: meadmkr | January 20, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Too bad no one "showed some respect" and censored this thread of comments, per hiberniantears's request. No doubt the Obama fascists will be out in full force after today though.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

My question at 6:18 PM was directed toward professor70.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Chasmosaur1:

I was simply passing on the CNN report.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

What does it matter what political party I belong to or if foreigners serve in the US Armed Forces without citizenship? Both are red herrings to the issue of "natural born" citizenship being required to become Commander in Chief.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

JakeD:

For a guy so obsessed with detail, you're enjoying glossing over the facts. Here's the statement from Senator Kennedy's office - he had a seizure brought on by fatigue.

"Senator Edward Kennedy experienced a seizure today while attending a luncheon for President Barack Obama in the U.S. Capitol. After testing, we believe the incident was brought on by simple fatigue. Senator Kennedy is awake, talking with family and friends, and feeling well"

If you have a brain tumor, you can have seizures caused by over-exertion. No doubt walking around the Capitol and sitting outside in the cold weather was more exertion than Senator Kennedy may be used to at the moment.

And there's a difference between collapsing from fatigue and a grand mal seizure. If you've never seen the difference (especially when it happens to a family member or close friend), count yourself lucky.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | January 20, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

McCain was not born in U.S. but in the Panama Canal Zone. I guess JakeD would also have wanted him removed from office.
And yes, Jake, we have let plenty of foreigners serve in the US Armed Forces without citizenship.

So Jake, go back to your hobby of reading old case law, and have mom bring a sandwich down to you in your basement bunker. Maybe at your next libertarian meeting you'll devise a way to bring back the gold standard.

Posted by: professor70 | January 20, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chet_brewer | January 20, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that b*st*rd Sen. Cornyn was so upset about having to swallow the moment of the day, that he started talking about his plans to raise a fuss with Hillary about the Clinton foundation, while having lunch with Kennedy. You should have seen Fox covering it. Cornyn was talking about how much respect he has for Kennedy in one breath, and then talking about the need to look into the Clintons a bit more in the next. I wonder how all these *ssholes from Texas sleep at night.

Posted by: daweeni | January 20, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

markschwartz417:

You are "allready [SIC] tired" of what?

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

CNN is reporting Sen. Kennedy simply victim of fatigue -- I can understand that -- NO SEIZURE.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

JAKE D
Iam allready tired of it 8 years is a long time so look at the good of the country

Posted by: markschwartz417 | January 20, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Let the lawsuits begin:

As his first official action after being sworn in, President Barack Obama signed three documents Tuesday, including a proclamation declaring a day of national renewal and reconciliation.

Also signed by Obama were Cabinet and sub-Cabinet nominations. Those nominations will be presented to the Senate when it meets at 3 p.m. Tuesday, and are necessary before the full Senate can confirm the nominations, according to Senate staff members.

Does anyone at the WaPo know what the third document was? Reversing the Mexico-City policy? Closing Gitmo?

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Steve_G:

You eat your dinner first too. See you back here, if you dare.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Nosy_Parker:

Perhaps you can answer the questions AFTER dinner?

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

DwightHCollins:

I would hope so.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

if ted passes away, because of his stance on abortion, he should be denied a Catholic Burial...

Posted by: DwightHCollins | January 20, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, the courts found that Philip J. Berg didn't have standing for his appeals, so presumably you don't either. Just give it up and get a life. I'm leaving now to get ready for dinner.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 20, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Mary Jo Kopechne is looking forward to having a chat with Ted.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | January 20, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Nosy_Parker:

So, now you admit that it isn't the end of the discussion -- even if Obama was born in Hawaii, there are legal arguments against him being a "natural born" citizen -- have you read the Alan Keyes lawsuit?

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

As knjincvc notes, it's not for any of us to answer. It's the Supreme Court's call.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 20, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

knjincvc:

The Supreme Court has not ruled on the merits -- I won't stop posting until Obama's LONG FORM birth certificate is released -- look up the concept of "standing" someday.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Nosy_Parker:

Just as soon as you answer my pending question to you.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 5:01 PM
“For starters, his own grandmother stated that she was present when he was born in what is now Kenya -- -- which would be reflected on his LONG FORM birth certificate -- the fact that he won't just release that seems very curious. If he would simply do that, I would stop posting about it.”

Well I guess you can stop posting because congress and supreme court have accepted the fact that President Obama was born in Hawaii. So you’d better bring grandma in for questioning.

Posted by: knjincvc | January 20, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

What's the other "proof"?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 20, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Nosy_Parker:

I agree that there may be a translation issue, but that's definitely not the only "proof" (as I was asked) nor the end of the discussion. For argument's sake, if he wasn't born in the United States, can we at least all agree that he is not qualified to become President?

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Steve_G:

That's a lot of questions. I would be happy to give you my best answers, just as soon as you answer my pending question to you: "perhaps you are wrong about Barack Obama being born in the United States too?"

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Actually, she stated this through an interpreter, but it appeared that something was lost in the translation. When she was asked again, and it was made sure she understood the question, she replied that he was NOT born there. End of discussion.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 20, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

JakeD: I suppose you have proof that he wasn't? What do you have other than rumor and conspiracy theory? Why would our government allow a person who was not a natural born citizen to be elected president? Give me one good reason. What about all of those government officials who apposed Obama and backed McCain? Why didn't they produce some proof to prevent it from happening? Are you really telling me that no one had enough access to the data necessary to prove that someone was not born in the U.S.?

Posted by: Steve_G | January 20, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

knjincvc:

For starters, his own grandmother stated that she was present when he was born in what is now Kenya -- at the time, Hawaii allowed babies born out of the country to be registered in the State, which would be reflected on his LONG FORM birth certificate -- the fact that he won't just release that seems very curious. If he would simply do that, I would stop posting about it.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 4:31 PM
"perhaps you are wrong about Barack Obama being born in the United States too?"

I suppose you have proof President Obama was not born in the USA?

Posted by: knjincvc | January 20, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Sure. Whatever floats your boat. I'm sure there's all sorts of great penalties for filing frivolous lawsuits. ;)

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | January 20, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Chasmosaur1:

I would like to volunteer in filing legal challenges to every piece of legislation, treaty, nomination, and executive order the usurper purports to sign. Is that better?

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

who's = whose

Apology accepted.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Jake -

Obama's. You don't have to like his politics, but this is all pointless, as he was sworn in today.

Inside 2 hours, you've posted 11 times on this topic...and the first time was to bring up your bugbear of Obama's birth-certificate. So appropriate a comment on the seizure of Ted Kennedy.

Perhaps you could take all this energy and volunteer somewhere. You've indicated in other discussions that you're retired. You obviously have energy and intelligence - use it where it can help someone.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | January 20, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

No, what you typed was:

"Which makes him every bit as 'natural born' as someone who's family traces back to Washington himself."

Since General Washington had no natural born children, you are still wrong -- regardless, my questions stands -- perhaps you are wrong about Barack Obama being born in the United States too?

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

JakeD: I'm sorry, where did I say Washington was born in the US? I said it makes him just as natural born as someone who's family tree dates all the way back to Washington. Meaning, their family has been a resident of the United States as far back as when they were still called "These United States". Learn to read.

Posted by: Steve_G | January 20, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Chasmosaur1:

"Whether or not [I] like his politics" meaning Kennedy's or Obama's? Regardless, I am not getting behind either.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

John D "Jay" Rockefeller IV is the Senator from W.VA. The article mentions both John D. Rockefeller IV and John D "Jay" Rockefeller III as the Senator...
Just some fact checking.

Posted by: eet7e | January 20, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Teacher just reprimanded the class again.

Posted by: srb2 | January 20, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

P.S. of course, Thomas Paine was NOT a slaveholder, but he was actually born in England.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

hiberniantears:

Wasn't the Temple of Delphi a bunch of crazed, intoxicated witches, with little use for outsiders??

Posted by: frak | January 20, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

*sigh* As the sibling of someone who successfully survived a brain tumor, my heart goes out to the Kennedy family, despite my occasional distaste with their politics and lifestyle. Watching someone you care for have a seizure is a scary, horrible thing.

The only saving grace is that the press were not allowed in the room - I'm sure they would have filled the whole thing.

And hey - to steal a quote from Justice Scalia: Get over it. It's so old by now.

Whether or not you like his politics (I'm not thrilled with them, but they are more centrist and realistic than the GOP's view right now), if you don't get behind him instead of trying to pull him down, we're all screwed.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | January 20, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

newageblues:

My beloved mega-capitalism has NOT self-destructed, but Obama and his cronies will certainly try their best to destroy it. I'm retired, so it won't matter to me either way.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Steve_G:

He was quoting Thomas Paine, and George Washington was NOT born in the United States -- he was born on February 22, 1732 in Westmoreland County, COLONY of Virginia, British America -- perhaps you are wrong about Barack Obama being born in the United States too?

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

you still here, JakieD, doesn't seem like a good investment of your time when just about everyone is ready to give Obama a chance, if only because the economy depends on government leadership now that your beloved mega-capitalism has self-destructed.

Posted by: newageblues | January 20, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

By submitting content, you are consenting to these rules:

1. You agree not to submit inappropriate content. Inappropriate content includes any content that:
* infringes upon or violates the copyrights, trademarks or other intellectual property rights of any person
* is libelous or defamatory
* is obscene, pornographic, or sexually explicit
* violates a person's right to privacy
* violates any local, state, national, or international law
* contains or advocates illegal or violent acts
* degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference, disability, or other classification
* is predatory, hateful, or intended to intimidate or harass
* contains advertising or solicitation of any kind
* misrepresents your identity or affiliation
* impersonates others

It ain't rocket science.

Posted by: hiberniantears | January 20, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

TIMNGUYEN1: People like you make me scared for the future of this nation. Luckily, I have enough faith in the majority that they're not as ignorant as you few. Have you ever heard of a period? They really work wonders for ending a sentence before beginning another.

JakeD: You know, you're actually partially right. For about 7 minutes, Biden WAS president. Biden was sworn in before noon when Bush's term expired. Obama wasn't sworn in until about 12:07 (give or take). So from noon until Obama was sworn in, Biden was president. However, contrary to the conspiracy theories out there, Obama was born in the United States as a US citizen. Which makes him every bit as "natural born" as someone who's family traces back to Washington himself.

Although, I do find it interesting that Obama would quote Washington in his speech today. An African American president quoting a former slave owner may not sit well with some, even if he is one of our founding fathers. Don't get me wrong, I still think Washington was a great man, even if he was misguided on the whole slavery thing. No doubt we wouldn't be the nation we are today without him.

Posted by: Steve_G | January 20, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

There is not a "fight" Obama with us of the GOP. There is a differing of opinions, and as such we would be wrong to ourselves not to oppose him. Since, when does opposing mean we are wrong? The press never let up on GW, why should anyone give Obama a free ride. Oh, that’s right, you destroyed the country with your trashing of GW, so we are suppose to trash and stop Obama. Get real. There are no "free" rides, meaning, he doesn't get a free ride. His policies are wrong, his ideas are wrong.
The cost of freedom is to always oppose those that would take freedom from you. No matter how they try to take those freedoms we stand against it. Hitler sounded great also, look what happened there. Obama reminds me of a TV preacher, lots of good material as long as the teleprompter is running.

Posted by: jfbyers | January 20, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Justice Holmes wrote of falsely shouting "fire", because, of course, if there were a fire in a crowded theater, one may rightly indeed shout "Fire!"; one may, depending on the law in operation, even be obliged to. Falsely shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theater, i.e. shouting "Fire!" when one believes there to be no fire in order to cause panic, was interpreted not to be protected by the First Amendment.

Schenck was later limited by Brandenburg v. Ohio, which ruled that speech could only be banned when it was directed to and likely to incite imminent lawless action (e.g. a riot), the test which remains until this day. Despite Schenck being limited, the phrase "shouting fire in a crowded theater" has since come to be known as synonymous with an action that the speaker believes goes beyond the rights guaranteed by free speech, reckless or malicious speech, or an action whose outcomes are blatantly obvious.

Jacob Hornberger of the Future of Freedom Foundation, a libertarian think tank, has stated that in most cases free speech issues in the U.S. depend upon whose property one is on at the time. If someone falsely shouted "fire" and created a stampede which was clearly against the wishes of a theatre owner's policy of conduct, then the theatre owner would be within his rights to prepare charges against the agitator. If, however, the theatre owner decided it would be good for business to have patrons yell "Fire! Fire!" whenever they felt like it, then he would be within his rights to do so.

The comedian Steven Wright remarked that he likes to "shout 'Fire!' in an empty theater".

The comedian Steve Martin has asked if it is alright to yell "Movie!" in a crowded firehouse.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Show some respect and remove this thread of comments from this particular blog posting.

Posted by: hiberniantears | January 20, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Show some respect for free expression -- have "hiberniantears" [1/20, 3:36p] removed from "this particular blog posting".
Posted by: srb2 | January 20, 2009 4:06 PM
***************

Hear...hear!

Posted by: WildBill1 | January 20, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Technically, one can yell "fire" in a crowded theater.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Freedom and Truth is more important than security.."If all Americans cared about was security than Americans might as well be in jail."- Dwight Eisenhower

Posted by: frak | January 20, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srb2 | January 20, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hiberniantears | January 20, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

A virtual crowded theater.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 20, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey, WildBill1:

FIRE!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 20, 2009 3:58 PM
**************

Are you in a crowded theater? Yeah, I didn't think so...

Posted by: WildBill1 | January 20, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey, WildBill1:

FIRE!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 20, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Two of the frailest members of Congress took a bite of the "Polonium Special" and became ill..Perhaps others got zapped, though I saw no such urgency to lock the area down as would be warranted, Congress still very much owned by CIA/Mossad NWO mafias..

Posted by: frak | January 20, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

curtb:

Because I already bought it.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hiberniantears | January 20, 2009 3:36 PM
****************

Yep, typical liberals. Deny freedom of speech to others who don't share your political viewpoints.

Posted by: WildBill1 | January 20, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Well, after reading the comments on this page I'd say that bipartisanship is already dead in the water, big surprise. Let's face it, the cons hate the libs and vice versa, to such a degree that even in our current dire straits agreement between the two will be virtually impossible. One side blames Clinton for the lack of civilized discourse while the other blames George W. The GOP will fight Obama at every turn because they don't want him to succeed, it reflects badly on them. Well, I want him to succeed, mightily, damn your reflection. The result of his failure is too depressing to consider. If the GOP wants us to fail and go under in the next few years, then please proceed straight to where the sun don't shine because I don't feel like listening to your Rush O'Hannity influenced spiel any longer. Oh, and Jake D., why don't you go buy Anne Coulter's new book and get some new material for yourself. Your talking points are so yesterday.

Posted by: curtb | January 20, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

What hiberniantears said.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 20, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hiberniantears | January 20, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

For the record, this thread started with the (false) premise: "President Obama has begun his presidency ..."

I have no comment on Byrd or Kennedy.

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hiberniantears | January 20, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I hope he is in severe pain.

Posted by: NappyHeadedBO | January 20, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hiberniantears | January 20, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Looking at Senator Kennedy on TV earlier today, he sure looked the picture of health!Wish him well.

Posted by: dl74911 | January 20, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Ted Kennedy will finally pass away....long overdue.

Posted by: WildBill1 | January 20, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Cannot wait to hear what President Obama has to say with his First State of the Union address.

We are going to have a tough several years.
But they are hopeful years with a competant person at the helm.

Finally an honest leader..

I waved good bye at Bush and Cheney with two middle fingers.

Fei Hu

Posted by: Fei_Hu | January 20, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

They should have kept their fingers off the peanut butter candy.

Posted by: justhere | January 20, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hiberniantears | January 20, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

It's scary how much power these old invalids and their unelected staffs have. It sure is good to see a young man as president though, even though I may not have voted for him.

Posted by: Peejay | January 20, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

DO NOT LISTEN TO WHAT BARACK OBAMA SAYS, BUT CAREFULLY WATCH WHAT HE DOES !!!

Barack Obama is the greatest liar in history (no wonder he is an excellent lawyer!) During his campaign, he told lots of hope in future for America if he was elected, but now he warns Americans of oncoming darker economy and not to put too much hope in his promises. He promises a big plan to reduce budget deficit but his inauguration ceremony this January will be the most costly in history (50 millions) while the nation is in deep depression, as well as his presidential campaign (600 millions), which was far more than his opponent John McCain's. He swears to clean up Washington DC, but he failed to first clean up his homestate Illinois, one of the most corrupt state with the scandal of Governor Rod Blagojevich, who greatly helped Obama to win his state senate seat in 1996, 1998, and 2002. And his favorite slogan is "Yes, we CAN", yet he himself CANNOT quit smoking at all !!! (Each year about 1.3 million American smokers quit successfully).

Posted by: TIMNGUYEN1 | January 20, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

mandy510:

How can you be so sure?

SueMc:

So, I've got 44 years left to repeat it ; )

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I wondered what Cheney's smile this morning meant. Now I know.

Posted by: Sweetback | January 20, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

JakeD has a seizure every time he leaves a comment.

Posted by: HughBriss | January 20, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I guess the former KKK Grand Wizard literally could not stand the sight of a black man being inaugurated President.

Posted by: pgr88 | January 20, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Crazy people don't understand that their repetition of crazy nonsense is exactly that. I've watched a family member repeating (and obsessing over) similar wacko-ness for about 45 years...

Ignore it - or distract the crazy person onto some of their other obsessions from time to time, if you can't ignore.

Posted by: SueMc | January 20, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

You gotta wonder if there was any foul play involved for both Senators Byrd and Kennedy to have medical emergencies at the same time.

Posted by: Thundershock | January 20, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Looks like that old battlaxe Agrippa is up to her old hemlock ways..

Posted by: frak | January 20, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

IF Obama was not a "natural born" citizen, he wouldn't have been sworn in as our 44th president. Get over yourself, Barack Obama is now the president...not Joe Biden, not anyone else.

Posted by: mandy510 | January 20, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Asked and answered.

Posted by: ComfortablyDumb | January 20, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | January 20, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

JakeD, do you have a collection of tinfoil hats that you rotate, or do you just wear the same one until it falls apart? I guess that if this is the theme that you want to focus on for the next 4-8 years go ahead, but don't you ever get tired of hearing the crazy nonsense over and over and over?

Posted by: skipper7 | January 20, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse