Obama Takes His Oath of Office Again

Updated 8:47 p.m.
By Anne E. Kornblut and Michael D. Shear
President Obama took the oath of office -- again -- on Wednesday, out of what a White House lawyer described as "an abundance of caution."

"We believe that the oath of office was administered effectively and that the president was sworn in appropriately yesterday. But the oath appears in the Constitution itself. And out of an abundance of caution, because there was one word out of sequence, Chief Justice Roberts administered the oath a second time," said White House Counsel Greg Craig in a statement issued early Wednesday night.

Obama and Chief Supreme Court Justice John Roberts had both seemingly stumbled over the 35-word oath during Obama's swearing-in as president on Tuesday, leading some to question whether he had properly committed the Constitutionally-mandated speech act that made him president of the United States.

A president is required by the Constitution to say: "I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

At the inaugural, Roberts had mixed up the words, saying instead: "...that I will execute the office to President of the United States faithfully..."

And so, at 7:35 p.m. today, according to the White House pool report, Roberts re-administered the oath in the Map Room of the White House.

"We decided it was so much fun -- " the first time, Obama joked while sitting on a couch.

Obama stood and walked over to make small talk with a reporter as Roberts donned his black robe.

"Are you ready to take the oath?" Roberts asked.

"I am, and we're going to do it very slowly," Obama replied.

Obama raised his right hand, leaving his left at his side.

The private swearing-in ceremony, sans Bible, took 25 seconds.

After a flawless recitation, Roberts smiled and said, "Congratulations,
again."

"Thank you, sir," Obama replied, to a smattering of applause.

"All right," Obama said. "The bad news for the pool is there's 12 more balls."

By Web Politics Editor  |  January 21, 2009; 7:56 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LaHood Gets a Warm Welcome on the Hill
Next: POTUS Events

Comments

Did anyone watch The Colbert Report last night on this.

Posted by: JakeD | January 23, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Funny how Gibbs says LAST NIGHT that Roberts was "under the slow and careful instruction" of Obama. Why didn't Obama just do that carefully in the first place?

Posted by: JakeD | January 22, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Another interesting thought: if it was PROVEN that Obama is not a "natural born" citizen, but he refused to leave the White House, what could Congress do? Impeachment only works to remove the President from office. However, as he isn't legally the President, impeachment would seem to be impossible. The courts could obviously stop any purported action by the usurper. And, I guess the Cabinet could try to invoke Section 4 of the 25th Amendment, but what if a majority of the principal officers of the executive departments (or of such other body as Congress may by law provide) refuse to sign off? Talk about a Constitutional crisis.

I will have to think about that for a bit.

Posted by: JakeD | January 22, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I agree that we had a new "President" (as you all know, I say it was Joe Biden) as of 12 noon, January 20, 2009 -- however, the 20th Amendment did not cancel out the requirement of the oath, so maybe we just have to agree to disagree on that part -- I would argue he cannot EXECUTE HIS OFFICE (i.e. do anything official) until the oath is taken.

I do agree about no Bible or even "so help me God" being legally necessary (neither does the Chief Justice, or anyone else for that matter, have to administer the oath). Politically, however, I agree with those like SAINT--The, et al., re: not including another Bible.

Posted by: JakeD | January 22, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

call = can

Posted by: JakeD | January 22, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

P.S. -- I also swore "to bear true allegiance to the United States of America, and to serve them honestly and faithfully, against all their enemies or opposers whatsoever ..." -- maybe tomorrow, if EnemyOfTheState is around, we call all discuss that.

Posted by: JakeD | January 22, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"We'll have to agree to disagree then -- I have no problem stating my opposition to this "President" -- I once took an oath myself to support the Constitution, and that's what I am doing. YMMV"

Fair enough.
I look forward to discussing other issues.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | January 22, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Obama's uncle took part in the liberation of was part of liberating a concentration camp in Ohrdruf, a subcamp of Buchenwald in Germany. He was there in his uniform when Obama accepten the DEocratic nomination. Jon Stewart later remarked something along the lines of, "What? Who knew Obama had a cute, old, white war hero for an uncle? Why isn't he carrying this guy around in a Snuggli?" Of course it's a shame to see John Roberts srewing up the country some more. And the fact that some people are still questioning his birth certificate which has been fully vetted down to his birth announcement along with his parents' address appearing in the local newspapers along with all the other babies born the same day as Obama just shows how off the deep end the wack-a-doodles really are!

Posted by: lmwilker | January 22, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Obama's "first" swearing in was witnessed by the largest gathering of Americans in the history of this country!

If I were one of these wing-nuts I'd be pretty upset with that as well. They've never even approached that kind of support. I disproves everything that they stand for.

We need to give them a little latitude in their grief. Much the same as you would a child.

Posted by: henk1 | January 22, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | January 22, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

JakeD,

Your last comment reminds me that when Jesus was accused of claiming to be King of the Jews, he answered, "You say I am".

When pressed for his position on the war by a junior Republican Senator who said, "You are either for the President or against him". Robert Byrd said, "I am for the Constitution".

The Constitutional requirements for the Inauguration of Barack Obama as President have been met and upheld by the Justices of the Supreme Court.

I do not recognize your reasons for dissent.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | January 22, 2009 2:01 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if ths country ran out of decently educated candidtes. Lincoln never led a band of farmers against any empire!!! What is going on here? Back in May he said, his uncle took part in liberating Auswitz concentration camp. Was his uncle member of Russian troops then? I realy hope he will take time to revise history (and geography) not to make a fatal mistae one day.

Posted by: Ymrader | January 22, 2009 2:00 AM | Report abuse

Obama is not the Messiah, dude.

Posted by: JakeD | January 22, 2009 12:48 AM

What ever gave you that idea?

Oh ya, the lying Neocon-Fascists dishonestly spread a rumor claiming Obama said "I am the one." When in reality, all he did was quote an old Native American line, "WE are the ones WE have been waiting for."

I am not surprised you fell for the Neocon-Fascist propaganda, again. Most Republicans are a bit naive and lacking in critical thinking abilities.

Posted by: kevinschmidt | January 22, 2009 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Obama is not the Messiah, dude.

Posted by: JakeD | January 22, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Fine. Then you will agree I am not a traitor for opposing Obama.

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 11:48 PM

Unless you actively oppose helping America to get back on track after eight years of economic impoverishment, criminal malfeasance and war mongering. That dangerous obstructionism could further weaken the country and thus could be viewed at treason.

Posted by: kevinschmidt | January 22, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

RE:"I thought you were "exhausted"?"
======================
Ok - now I'm tired. You wore me out. That, and too much Scotch.

Peace. I'll pick it up tomorrow, when I promise to be back when I'm most annoying.

Posted by: EnemyOfTheState | January 22, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

EnemyOfTheState:

I thought you were "exhausted"?

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Fine. Then you will agree I am not a traitor for opposing Obama.

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

RE:"I'm on my iPhone, but maybe later I will explain in detail how a secret Muslim who is not even a "natural born" citizen could ever be considered an enemy to America."
============================
Secret Muslim?? LOL

I can't wait for this explanation.

Be sure to include it in your Mensa application.

Posted by: EnemyOfTheState | January 21, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

kevinschmidt:

So, you're saying that Ann Coulter was right?

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 11:15 PM

Quite the contrary.

Better read my post again, Dodo brain.

Posted by: kevinschmidt | January 21, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I'll have to pick up this thread tomorrow morning. It's exhausting dealing with the tortured logic of conservatives...

Peace

Posted by: EnemyOfTheState | January 21, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

RE"No. Because I took an oath as well. To protect and defend the Constitution, from enemies foreign AND domestic."
=========================
OK - I'll bite: How is Obama an enemy?

Posted by: EnemyOfTheState | January 21, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

kevinschmidt:

So, you're saying that Ann Coulter was right?

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

EnemyOfTheState:

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Where's that anti-sedition law when you need it?

Didn't Ann Coultergueist say Liberals were all traitors for criticizing Dubya/dick during a time of war?

Didn't she say Liberals should all be arrested for treason?

Hmmm...

We're still in a time of war.
The Conservatives are criticizing President Obama.
According to Ann, Conservatives are traitors and should all be arrested for treason.

As her reward for defending the Office of the President above and beyond the call of the Constitution, Ann should be the first to go to Gitmo.

Rush, you go next.

Posted by: kevinschmidt | January 21, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Video of Obama being Sworn in, Cheif Justice Roberts is very nervous, seems like he is trying to confuse Obama.

Posted by: pastor123 | January 21, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

It's no use. Conservatives will not support the President.

This tells you everything you need to know about conservatives: They DO NOT support the United States or its constitution - they support an ideology. If it is at odds with the rest of the country, so be it.

Sad.

Posted by: EnemyOfTheState | January 21, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Oops!

During the second swearing in, Roberts STILL got it wrong.

Roberts incorrectly added at the end, "So help me God."

That line IS NOT part of the oath as stipulated in the Constitution.

Do it again, and this time get it right, Republican Dodo.

Posted by: kevinschmidt | January 21, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

RE:"The MOST patriotic action may be to oppose a usurper pResident. Isn't that what you guys said about Bush?"
==============================
Yes - after he was appointed by the Supreme Court after losing the popular vote.

Obama won the popular AND electoral vote (by a landslide). So, yes, you would be fulfilling a patriotic duty I suppose, if Obama was a "usurper" as you assert.

The only problem with your logic is that he is not a usurper, but a legitimate elected President. He didn't need Antonin Scalia to appoint him.

Sorry to give you the bad news.

Now, are you going to support your President?

Posted by: EnemyOfTheState | January 21, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

The country won't go down the tubes. The MOST patriotic action may be to oppose a usurper pResident. Isn't that what you guys said about Bush?

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

kevinschmidt:

Are you saying you didn't want GWB to fail?

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 10:20 PM

No, Dodo.

I didn't want GWB at all, and neither did the majority of Americans who elected Gore.

Posted by: kevinschmidt | January 21, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

How patriotic can you really be, hoping Obama fails?

Even liberals were behind George Bush after 9-11. His approval ratings were around 90%.

But some conservatives are hoping Obama will fail...even if it means the country goes down the tubes.

I ask again - are conservatives really patriots if they hold this view?

Posted by: EnemyOfTheState | January 21, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

The best part of Obama's presidency. Is no more Dick Cheney. Good to see Lord Cheney being evicted, See a very funny Video of Cheney leaving the WhiteHouse.

Watch Cheney get evicted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrvIAxH4ePc

Posted by: pastor123 | January 21, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

The 20th Amendment did not cancel the requirement of the Presidential oath.

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

RE:"It says that I proved you wrong."
==========================
LOL. Not after one day it doesn't. Nice try, though.

Posted by: EnemyOfTheState | January 21, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

In year 2000, the Supreme Court chose George W. Bush to be the President of United States of America. In 2009, could this be a maneuver by the Republican Party to nullify Obama's election and Chief Justice Roberts unintentionally provided this opening? I doubt if retaking the oath of office will shut-up the Republicans. Fox News has already been using the stumble and raising doubts if Barack H. Obama is the President of United States of America. Sarah Palin may be on a plane to take over as President of United State of America as we speak.

Posted by: AnElite | January 21, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Both Roberts and Obama no doubt were pleased to have a second chance to get history right.

Greg Craig was smart to preempt any legal action by right wing crazies to try to assert that Obama was never official president.

Seriously, does no one realize the 20th Amendment makes this oath controversy null, void and silly?

Posted by: parkerfl1 | January 21, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

kevinschmidt:

Are you saying you didn't want GWB to fail?

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

It says that I proved you wrong.

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

RE:"I did not avoid military service, and I want pResident-Evil Obama to fail."
===========================
Interesting. What does that say about you?

Posted by: EnemyOfTheState | January 21, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I did not avoid military service, and I want pResident-Evil Obama to fail.

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Take this as proof that the Republicans have not stopped trying to screw up the Democrats and America every chance they get no matter how small, insignificant or petty the act.

Posted by: kevinschmidt | January 21, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

RE:"Obama screwed up the first and easiest task of a President. There is no doubt that Obama will be the absolute worst President in U.S. history."
==============================
Keep up the wishful thinking. If he doesn't live up to expectations, it will be because he inherited a holy mess from a Republican administration.

Of course, you want him to fail, even if it means ruin for the country. So much for your patriotism, which you conservatives bray about endlessly (all while somehow avoiding military service).

Posted by: EnemyOfTheState | January 21, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Federal Government for wasting our time and money. Another completely unnecessary ceremony that takes money away from other projects or ,hey, maybe paying off some of our debt. Let's use some common sense. Please? Stop wasting my hard earned money that you take from my check every two weeks.

Posted by: mainstreetmedia | January 21, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Look - Two very smart guys flubbed an oath under stressful circumstances.

Roberts will be doing this again, and Obama might be doing it, too - they'll have plenty of time to practice.

Let's move on.

Posted by: EnemyOfTheState | January 21, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Once again I ask:

If the exact wording of the Oath as written in the Constitution is so crucial, why do we allow it to be casually bastardized by adding a plea to the Christian Tooth Fairy for assistance?

Is the Constitution the supreme law of the land, or is the American Taliban's Bible more important?

Posted by: B2O2 | January 21, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Obama screwed up... [Blah! Blah! Blah!]

Posted by: get_it_right | January 21, 2009 9:07 PM

You got_it_wrong. Read it again.
It was Roberts who flubbed the oath.

"At the inaugural, Roberts had mixed up the words..."

Stupid Republican Dodos. No wonder they are the party of extinction.

Posted by: kevinschmidt | January 21, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Obama is a quick thinker, superfast. He wasn't in sync with CJ Roberts, a slower thinker, hence the flub. I would have been so embarassed by the flub and am impressed by how Obama took it in stride and shrugged it off. Pity - a definining moment in American history, and a flub - they prepared to the hilt for everything, except this - you've got to laugh!

Posted by: weholdthesetruths | January 21, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

What's the explanation for the fact that no president since Hoover has said the oath exactly as written in the Constitution, since it makes no allowance for inserting the president-elect's name between the words "I" and "do.'' FDR apparently started the tradition of adding the name. Have vice presidents really been in charge ever since? (The Constitution does not require an oath for the veep...)

Posted by: dhanks | January 21, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

LOL!!!

Posted by: JakeD | January 21, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

After GOP supporters attacked Chief Justice Roberts on a slight mistake when it's his first time swearing in a President, he now knows these guys wanted him impeached. No one person said how stupid and ignorant Bush spoke but the Media made excuses for it. Obama didn't have a problem. Now Roberts and Obama can continue to talk and get views from each other. Funny how two different sides come together because of someone being stupid. Obama is President and the Republicans need to get over their lost of McCain/Palin. Attacking the Chief Justice just brought these two powerful men together and that might be the GOP's biggest problem in the future.

Posted by: qqbDEyZW | January 21, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

They should have invited all the ticketholders who were turned away from the inauguration due to the massive security screw-up to attend this swearing in as honored guests. Unfortunately, many have probably returned home...

Posted by: Susan_in_VA | January 21, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I've told you for two years, Obama is stupid.

Once again, Obama is stupid.

Posted by: ObamaBiden | January 21, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Obama screwed up the first and easiest task of a President. There is no doubt that Obama will be the absolute worst President in U.S. history. This punk community organizer has no management experience and has never held a real job in his entire life. He is a complete buffoon and a big setback for our country.

Posted by: get_it_right | January 21, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Market up; Obama resworn. The wingnuts are going to be upset. What will they whine and rant about now? (That's a rhetorical question.)

Did anyone else read Pat Buchanan's latest column? He writes that the GOP is almost history.

Posted by: infuse | January 21, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

So nice they did it twice.

Posted by: TheGnome | January 21, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

ANOTHER ONE OF BUSH'S BOYS! HECK OF A JOB ROBBIE...

Posted by: demtse | January 21, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

ANOTHER ONE OF BUSH'S SCREWUPS! YOU DID A HECK OF A JOB ROBBIE!

Posted by: demtse | January 21, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Latest word is that they didn't use a Bible today, so let's see how long it is before someone complains about that. (No book is required at all, of course.)

How long before some doofus claims that his money spent on a trip to Tuesday's ceremony was wasted?!

Posted by: 1995hoo | January 21, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Where is that poor excuese for a human named JAKE D! We Must have shut him up!! Or was he on the mall and on his way back from the Childrens Ball. Or did he take his NEW President serious when he told him to put away childlish things. I guess he moved out of his mothers basement!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mlhkfh | January 21, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

This was a pretty entertaining tidbit, but I don't understand why everyone is exploding about this. I'm sure Chief Justice Roberts was just nervous. He's not an idiot or a bigot. And he didn't screw up a historic moment-- all is well that ends well.

Posted by: rdacker | January 21, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh for crying out loud... two people with the eyes and weight of the world squarely on them stumbled on a few lines (and yeah, they both mildly screwed the pooch). Better people have done worse things than jump in ahead of cue or misplace an adverb. The spirit of the oath was intact, and the two men are on to business. This is the non-issue of all non-issues.

(However, if you saw the President gently chide his VP for making a joke at the Chief Justice's expense, you might think that the effort to change the tone is underway. Good. These people have to work together on viable, practical solutions, so someone has to end the rancor. If that's all President Obama accomplishes - and I suspect he'll accomplish a good deal more - it will have been worth it. And Mr. Biden had better put his loose cannon days behind him fast if he wants to be on the ticket in 2012...)

Posted by: noybizz | January 21, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Where did that #@$%! learn how to swear?

"Chief" my #@%% ##@. What a noob.

After the swearing in, we had the cussing out ...

Heh heh. It's all good, dog.

Posted by: pressF1 | January 21, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

You know, upon reflection, I'm surprised that no nut-jobs from either side have ever objected to the inclusion of the individual's name in the oath of office, since the Constitution doesn't prescribe the inclusion of the name (i.e., adding it arguably "changes" the oath since the Constitution simply says "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) ....").

I do think it's funny how the hard-core lefties on this thread apparently feel the need to grind an axe, though.

Posted by: 1995hoo | January 21, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Obama's identifies the issues and then resolves them with a minimum of fuss. He does not feel any need to rely upon scathing remarks or animosity or point the finger of guilt.

Posted by: robertjames1 | January 21, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

First off, this was no big deal to start with. But let's get it right. They both messed up. That's okay. Even big shots are human. Sheesh. Cut them a break. First off, President Obama, jumped in before Chief Justice Roberts had finished the first line, then Chief Justice got the word "faithfully" out of order, President Obama started to repeat, paused wisely, I might add when he was unsure, and then Chief Justice Roberts correctly put the word "faithfully" in there, but then the President put it in the wrong place.

NO BIG DEAL. Only whackos would think that either of these men are stupid. Hey, look, they are human, and it was a pretty darn heady moment. They made a mistake, and look, we all survived.

Posted by: MikeL4 | January 21, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

"I hope they took this opportunity to verify 0bama's birth certificate?

No? Well, so much for legitimacy!

Posted by: NeverLef"
Did it occur to you that the one person who would be most qualified to make a judgement on this matter (not to mention would also have an ax to grind with Obama) was the very one who swore Obama in as the 44th POTUS?

Or does that matter to you right-wingnuts out there?

Posted by: JRM2 | January 21, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

idiparker is still clueless...

Posted by: SpaceCity | January 21, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

What a shame. The re-do takes one of the talking points away from the haters.

Posted by: ScoutieDog | January 21, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Jeez relax, chalk it up to nerves, Obama is the President and at work.

Posted by: JRM2 | January 21, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

"... all because of Justice John Roberts awful flubbing while administering the oath of office."

Who is "Justice John Roberts"? No person with that name and title currently sits on the US Supreme Court, so is this a state court jurist from somewhere? (I know who Chief Justice Roberts is, but I don't know who "Justice Roberts" is.)

Posted by: 1995hoo | January 21, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Another sign that we have paranoid and indecisive people in charge of the country. Scary.

Posted by: MKadyman | January 21, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Moron Cons are still screwing up. Send the War Criminals to the Intl Criminal Court for War Crimes.

Posted by: MoronCons | January 21, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I was watching.
It was a real dog's dinner.
How an important occasion like this can be so fumbled by a guy feeding the new President the lines of the oath is just beyond belief.
Doubtless a legacy of the Bush days of illiteracy, hubris and incompetence.

Perhaps in future there will be a minimum requirement in education and experience in public speaking for officials in this role.
I mean, surely this is not a job for just ANYBODY.

Posted by: wardropper | January 21, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I hope they took this opportunity to verify 0bama's birth certificate?

No? Well, so much for legitimacy!

Posted by: NeverLeft | January 21, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Roberts did flub, but he tried to do it right the second time and got faithfully in the right place but then it all ended in a mess. Was kind of funny actually.

Posted by: idiparker | January 21, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Roberts is an idiot for screwing up the historic occasion. Unlike JakeD, he doesn't have the excuse of being a lonely shell-shocked Korea vet with waaaaaaaay too much time on his trembling hands.

Posted by: Dawny_Chambers | January 21, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Now what are people going to complain about. President Obama DID NOT make the mistake Roberts did.

Posted by: rlj1 | January 21, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Winners of the Does Anal-Retentive Have a Hyphen? Award for 2009 are Barack Obama and John Roberts.

Posted by: wpfree | January 21, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

This is a very good, smart move by our new President and advisors. It would be argued by the rushlimbaughs of the right-wing anti-Obama crowd for the next century that this President was not recognized - all because of Justice John Roberts awful flubbing while administering the oath of office. Another sign that we have a bright future ahead.

Posted by: craigbrewer | January 21, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse