The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Transportation

Obama Points to Shovel-Ready Transportation Project Close to Home

By Michael Fletcher
As Congressional negotiators worked to reconcile competing versions of the economic stimulus package, President Obama today visited Fairfax County to stump for the plan.

Joined by Virginia governor and Democratic National Committee Chairman Timothy M. Kaine, Obama showed off one of the "shovel-ready" projects that would be funded by the stimulus plan: a 1.3-mile segment of the Fairfax County Parkway.

Located about 20 miles south of the District in one of the nation's most congested metro areas, the roadway is exactly the type of project that could receive funding from the federal stimulus bill, Obama and Kaine said.

"Not far from where we're standing, back in Washington, we continue to have a debate about our economic plan, a plan to create or save more than 3 million jobs in the next few years, and I welcome that conversation," Obama said. "But I am here today because you don't need to travel very far from that debate to see why enacting this plan is both urgent and essential to our recovery."

Kaine said completing the final portion of the parkway would pump millions of dollars in the local economy, while creating hundreds of onsite construction jobs and up to 2,000 indirect jobs.

"We'll improve direct interstate access for businesses and residents and will serve this national critical agency," Kaine said. "That's just an example of one project that could be funded under this stimulus plan."

The highway construction site is intended to serve Fort Belvoir's Engineer Proving Ground, where the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency will move 8,500 jobs in 2011 as part of a major military base closure and realignment initiative approved by Congress in 2005. Under the plan, a total of 19,500 jobs will relocate to Fort Belvoir.

Obama also emphasized that the chief executive of heavy equipment manufacturer Caterpillar, which has announced some 20,000 in job cuts in recent weeks, has told him that the company will rehire some workers if the stimulus package is enacted.

"Tomorrow, I'm going to East Peoria , Illinois , to visit a Caterpillar manufacturing plant to talk to these workers," Obama said. "Because what's at stake here are not abstract numbers of abstract concepts -- we're talking about real families that we can help and real jobs that we can save."

Posted at 12:57 PM ET on Feb 11, 2009  | Category:  Transportation
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Markets Are Down, but Obama's Stock Is Still Up | Next: Jindal to Counter Obama Congressional Address

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

The audacity of a dope.

Posted by: zjr78xva | February 11, 2009 11:25 PM

mikeinmidland:

McCain didn't bring up Rev. Wright either. So, does your "reality" say that Rev. Wright didn't exist?

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 9:17 PM

The latest example of corporate greed and corruption is the corporate jet. These expensive, fuel-gulping, exhaust-belching demons of the airways are the epitome of just what is wrong with capitalism and America in general. At least that is what those inclined to the left would have you believe. Even President Obama has taken a shot by implying that the use of corporate jets by executives is not a prudent way to spend money.

Golly, I guess it never occurred to Barry that a corporate jet costs way less to operate and uses way less fuel than his 747. And I guess it never occurred to him that corporate jets generally travel alone, unlike his company plane that always travels with an identical back-up plane behind it…. not to mention the several C-130’s that also go along to haul his motorcade, his helicopter, and about a gazillion people. And I guess it never occurred to him that a ‘quick little trip’ to Elkhart, followed by a trip back to Washington the same night and a jaunt to Florida the next day was not exactly prudent planning. And it didn’t seem to bother him that he was not really doing anything important but stumping for his pet project.

While corporate jets are flying executives around the country – spending thousands of company dollars - to make deals which create profits that drive the economy and keep people employed, the greenhorn President is spending millions of the taxpayers’ dollars flitting about for no other purpose than to promote his pet program – a program which will spend billions more of the taxpayers’ dollars.

His presentations could have been made just as easily and effectively from behind a microphone in the Oval Office. I guess that wasteful spending is merely in the eye of the beholder.

Posted by: MaggieMay2 | February 11, 2009 7:51 PM

Hahahahaha! Shovel ready in VA. These are pet pork projects the VA Republicans wouldn't fund. Now VA is getting the nice people of the US to pay for their crappy projects. Hahahaha!

Posted by: 2xy4k9 | February 11, 2009 6:22 PM

lilly's bill

s.181....
well..good question.
was it posted on change.gov?
didn't change.gov change to whitehouse.gov?
((laughs)
whitehouse.gov doesn't post bills, i know that since gore days, etc.

heck, is change.gov still up?

forget about completing me jakey, now you are just plain outright confusing me...

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | February 11, 2009 6:19 PM

JakeD:

I said everything I had time to say on stem cell.

As far as my initial post on House negotiation today - that was POLITICAL SATIRE. Guess you didn't find it funny.

Think I'll go outside and play catch with my boys.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | February 11, 2009 6:14 PM

jake:

you complete me.
(((muuuuuhhhhhhaaaaaaa)

now i will drive home and watch Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil-- 'cause that is precisely where it seems I am.......

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | February 11, 2009 6:13 PM

TheBabeNemo:

What was the "emergency" with Lilly Bedwetter's law?

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 6:09 PM

CORRECTION JAKED:

Some of you THEORIZE, or maybe just FANTASIZE that Barack Obama should not be our President. For you to REALIZE that, you would have to be somewhat in touch with REALITY.

I'll tell you what I know. John McCain and Hillary Clinton are both smart, ambitious politicians, who spent lots of effort on opposition research. If there was any reason why Barack Obama was not eligible to be President, they would have found it.

And if they're not that smart, I'm doubly glad they didn't win.

Posted by: mikeinmidland | February 11, 2009 6:02 PM

hey wait a sec...keyword..non emergency.

tell THOMAS.GOV to UPDATE. they haven't.
or heck WaPo.....
post the bill as tweaked.

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | February 11, 2009 5:52 PM

DriveByPoster:

Stay for a while -- some of us realize that Obama is not even legally President -- not only should he not be saluted, he should be jailed.

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 5:29 PM

I was still quoting Aretha Franklin (she was quoting Dusty ; )

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 5:26 PM

the story reads, "Tomorrow, I'm going to East Peoria , Illinois , to visit a Caterpillar manufacturing plant to talk to these workers"

-----------------------

here goes superbama again.. he's donned his RED, WHITE, AND BLUE SUPERHERO CAPE and is flying faster than a speeding bullet to illinois in air force one.

he just got back from florida yesterday.. indiana the day before..

EVERYONE OF THESE TRIPS IS COSTING THE TAXPAYER ONE MILLION DOLLARS for all the secret service ground crews, the helicopters, both 747s traveling, his motorcade.. police escorts.. and on and on and on.

every trip a million bucks.

you know.. a million dollars could help a lot of people. but obama doesn't care anymore. he now has the PERC that is the reason people WANT to be the president... his own personal luxury boeing 747.

i just wish they wouldn't salute obama. i realize he is the chief now.. but he didn't serve in the military. i think having the privilege of getting saluted should be EARNED, and NOT won in a crap game or in an election.

Posted by: DriveByPoster | February 11, 2009 5:26 PM

Obama said he would clean up Washington.
Well, you Obama supporters sent the devil
to reform the jailbirds...

Posted by: Billw3 | February 11, 2009 5:19 PM

Whea ma check be? Obama he done promise me
ma check. Whea it be?

Posted by: Billw3 | February 11, 2009 5:13 PM

JakeD:
"I was quoting Aretha Franklin"

Actually the song was originally recorded by Dusty Springfield in 1968.

Posted by: Billw3 | February 11, 2009 5:10 PM

LOL! http://change.gov/agenda/ethics_agenda/

End the Practice of Writing Legislation Behind Closed Doors: As president, Barack Obama will restore the American people's trust in their government by making government more open and transparent. Obama will work to reform congressional rules to require all legislative sessions, including committee mark-ups and conference committees, to be conducted in public. By making these practices public, the American people will be able to hold their leaders accountable for wasteful spending ...

Sunlight Before Signing: Too often bills are rushed through Congress and to the president before the public has the opportunity to review them. As president, Obama will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days.

LOL!

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 5:04 PM

Oh, I missed that (I was quoting Aretha Franklin below ; )

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 4:52 PM

((smiles)
jakey...just quoting godfather.

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | February 11, 2009 4:50 PM

For any right-thinking Americans:

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 4:36 PM

Sorry, JohnQuimby, since you won't answer my questions, have a nice life. I "quit" too.

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 4:21 PM

JakeD:

I've just spoken to Nancy Pelosi:

There no longer is a GOP in the House for Dems to negotiate with.

Turns out they all QUIT last week.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | February 11, 2009 4:18 PM

Billw3:

The only one who could ever reach me
Was the son of a preacher man!

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 4:12 PM

TheBabeNemo:

What are you talking about?

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 3:58 PM

JakeD ask:
"Instead of wasting time and money on all these day trips, shouldn't he be concentrating his efforts back in D.C.?"

He's doing all he's qualified for, giving eloquent speeches. He missed his calling as a Southern Baptist Preacher Man.

Posted by: Billw3 | February 11, 2009 3:53 PM

Obama had little to do with crafting the "stimilus" bill. He has hit the Peter Principle head on, and is in over his head. All talk, no substance, and he again shows his poor choice of associates with Geithner, the tax cheat. If a re-election was held today, Obama would be history. Well... unless he could go around orating in schools...

Posted by: Billw3 | February 11, 2009 3:47 PM

I KNEW IT WAS YOU JAKE.
YOU BROKE MY HEART!

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | February 11, 2009 3:34 PM

would you repeat that please !!!

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | February 11, 2009 3:32 PM

JakeD- OK, try to follow this logic:

100 Million X $1,000= $100 Billion Right?

That is where I am deducing that $10,000 X
300 Million is only $3 Trillion!

$1,000 X 300 Million, is only 300 Thousand Million, or 300 Billion! :-/

Or, more Hundred Dollar Bills than we could print in several Forests life times!

Posted by: SAINT---The | February 11, 2009 3:31 PM

JohnQuimby:

You have provided the name of any House Republican the Dems are negotiating with and/or you don't apologize?

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 3:15 PM

oh goody....

Multiple Democratic sources earlier offered details on topics that had to be worked out:

35 percent of the bill would be tax cuts, 65 percent would be spending.

Tax breaks for workers that had been set at $1,000 per family or $500 per individual would be scaled back to $800 per family and $400 per individual.

$44 billion in aid to states, including money for education and other services.

More funding to help people buy health insurance through the federal COBRA program.

$6 billion to $9 billion for modernizing and repairing schools.

The funding for schools is intended to assuage House Democrats who are upset the Senate cut $20 billion for school construction.

The emphasis on "modernizing and repairing" is meant to appease Senate centrists who believe school "construction" takes too long and therefore won't stimulate the economy, and that state governments, not the federal government, should be responsible for building schools.

(((meaning the states would have to actually enforce no child left behind.....Tom Horne down here in arizona is P**s**ng green!! )))

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | February 11, 2009 3:13 PM

TheBabeNemo:

Thanks ; )

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 3:13 PM

God forbid that the American people learn the truth, legislation that would comprise an amount equal to the entire discretionary budget of the United States of America is being crafted without a single House Republican in the room -- we can't let that out in public -- attack the messenger instead.

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 3:10 PM

there has been agreement i guess....

now the blame game can begin..

i blame jake. so there !! ((wink wink)

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | February 11, 2009 3:08 PM

JakeD:

Not at all. I'm just saying that if Mr. Pence and the other 37 GOP Senators don't want to play, they can go home.

We'll keep his $174,000 government check and give his free government medical care to someone who needs it more.

As far as Republican input:

"Collins told reporters she hoped fellow GOP lawmakers would reconsider when the final compromise comes to a vote "rather than just reflexively oppose this."

She said the negotiators had "tightened and scrubbed it" to eliminate wasteful spending." - HuffPo

And then there's:

"...officials worked late into the night, with Mr. Reid shuttling between meetings with senators in his office and House leaders in Ms. Pelosi’s suite. Centrist senators who were crucial to the stimulus deal, Susan Collins and Olympia J. Snowe, Republicans of Maine, Mr. Nelson and Joseph I. Lieberman, independent of Connecticut, returned around 9 p.m. for the talks and left about an hour later."

Here's your shovel.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | February 11, 2009 3:06 PM

SAINT---The:

Maybe I'm off a decimal or two (my calculator doesn't even go that high ; )

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 3:06 PM

For the record, I was quoting the Human Events article / reporter who spoke with Rep. Pence. If anyone else (who actually answers my questions in a civil manner) wants to discuss that, please let me know.

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 3:04 PM

LOL! :-D

I must have borrowed Timmy's Calculator by mistake! ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | February 11, 2009 3:04 PM

Ah, it makes sense that JakeD would seek out Pence. Isn't he the one who likened strolling through a Baghdad market in body armor with a marine escort to attending a fair in Indiana? They both seem to share an astounding capability for wishful thinking and for turning a blind eye to unpleasant realities.

Interesting, though, that House Republican Conference Chairman Pence from Indiana would take time the time on this busy day to speak personally to a humble retiree and Independent from California, as JakeD claims to be.

Posted by: nodebris | February 11, 2009 2:54 PM

SAINT---The:

$10,000 x 300,000,000 = $30 TRILLION (so, it is still too much to simply hand out, I hope).

JohnQuimby:

By ommission, I think you answered this question at least -- thereby shooting down your very first post -- Democrats are NOT negotiating with any House Republicans. I accept your apology.

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 2:52 PM

JakeD-Sadly, all of my humor these days is pretty hollow!

Watching the fools on that Hill WASTE $3 Trillion in ineffectual Spending, while People like myself, are as said: In Quicksand!;

Makes me really despair!

You said the other Day that $10,000 was too much to get to everyone!

Guess what? It is getting SPENT, but, it is STILL not getting to anyone who needs it!

I still can smile as I impose my improvised scene!

Santa Raton comes up out of the Quicksand behind Fore-man O'Bomba...

O'Bomba telling Emanuel: "And be sure to tell Missy Pelosi, that I said OWWWWWW!!!!!" ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | February 11, 2009 2:45 PM

SAINT-The:

I wish it were just a laughing matter.

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 2:34 PM

LOL! :-D

Hearing the Messiah talk about "Shovel Ready" tid-bits off his Pork-fest reminds me of a Movie!

In FACT, many of O'Bomba's Stunts remind me of "Blazing Saddles"

However, as I am crawling out of the Quicksand, even hearing JakeD yelling "Don't do it!";

Shovel in Hand;

"Sorry man! I's Gots to!"

Shovel

Posted by: SAINT---The | February 11, 2009 2:29 PM

JakeD Said:

Then I guess Mr. Pence can clean out his desk and go home.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | February 11, 2009 2:27 PM

LonewackoDotCom:

Thanks for the info!

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 2:05 PM

say a prayer for arizona too folks.

-we lost our Governor and brought in one that will destroy 6 years of work.
-McCain and Kyl (our senators) voted a staunch NO on HR1.
-McCain is running again for senate here in this state.
-we are right to work and the pattern of behavior doesn't look to be changing any time soon.

there are no jobs,
everyone is rude in this state (part of the right to work attitude)---
the pay is terrible--
-and we are on the border.

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | February 11, 2009 2:00 PM

hold the phone jakey...

no participation doesn't mean--
no participation because the Dems won't let it in.

no way jose......the Repulsives damn well want it that/this way.
And they want you to believe that "wool is being pulled over eyes" or some "thief in night activity" is goin' on.

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | February 11, 2009 1:54 PM

Meanwhile, anyone who's familiar with L.A. should take a look at their wishlist. They want $7 billion for projects that will serve no useful purpose that I can see:

As soon as I saw that list I knew how much of a scam this was. If anyone wants to block the stimulus, here's the plan:

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | February 11, 2009 1:53 PM

JohnQuimby:

Democrats are negotiating with which Republicans in the House?

"Republicans have caught the Democrats in a midnight “stimulus” power play that seeks to cut Republican conferees out of the House-Senate negotiations to resolve a final version of the Obama “stimulus” package. Staff members from the offices of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) met last night to put together the “stimulus” conference report.

They intend to attempt to shove this $1.3 trillion spending bill through in the dead of the night without Republican input so floor action can take place in both chambers on Thursday.

I spoke with House Republican Conference Chairman Mike Pence (R-Ind.) moments ago about this latest version of Democratic “bipartisanship.” Pence told me, “I think the American people deserve to know that legislation that would comprise an amount equal to the entire discretionary budget of the United States of America is being crafted without a single House Republican in the room.”

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 1:39 PM

WASHINGTON DC-

Democratic Party Leaders in the House are negotiating with Republicans on a final version of the stimulus package.

Democratic leaders fought to retain the 20 billion dollars intended to bury the stinking, rotting corpse of failed conservative ideology.

GOP reps responded with their own "shovel ready" proposal - offering to dig their own graves by refusing to help working people keep their jobs.

Negotiations continued on talk radio this morning.

The measure is expected to pass within the next 48 hours.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | February 11, 2009 1:35 PM

Instead of wasting time and money on all these day trips, shouldn't he be concentrating his efforts back in D.C.? If other CEOs have to cut back and sell their planes, we can't afford for Obama to fly everywhere.

Posted by: JakeD | February 11, 2009 1:23 PM