Obama Thanks First Responders, Prays for Families of Buffalo Crash Victims

Continental Airlines Flight 3407 burns after it crashed into a house in Clarence Center, N.Y. (David Duprey/Associated Press)

President Obama this morning issued a statement of sorrow, sending his prayers to the families and friends of the victims of the crash of Continental Connection Flight 3407 from Newark, N.J., which killed 49 when it slammed into a suburban Buffalo, N.Y., house early this morning:

Michelle and I are deeply saddened to hear of the tragic accident outside of Buffalo last night. Our hearts go out to the families and friends who lost loved ones. I want to thank the brave first responders who arrived immediately to try and save lives and who are continuing to ensure the safety of everyone in the area. We pray for all those who have been touched by this terrible tragedy to find peace and comfort in the hard days ahead.

By Web Politics Editor  |  February 13, 2009; 9:06 AM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama , Primary Source
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama's No Good, Very Bad Day
Next: Obamas Plan to Fete Stevie Wonder

Comments

Good point, pattimorey.

Posted by: JakeD | February 17, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I believe it is ultra significant that four passengers in the Buffalo plane crash worked for Northrup Grumman. BTW - their names & occupations were the only ones not released to the media. I think whenever there's a plane crash, especially one involving the "autopilot," we should carefully review who was on board. Please research Northrup Grumman for further insight. I just think a lot of the reason for these plane crashes can be discerned by looking closely at the passenger lists.

Posted by: pattimorey | February 17, 2009 3:11 AM | Report abuse

JakeD is the worst sort of right wing freak case. He belongs to the party George Wallace founded. Take him for what he is: a boil on the American rump.

Posted by: nodebris | February 17, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Don't cry for me, kashabear. The truth is I never left you. All through my wild days, my mad existence. I kept my promise, don't keep your distance.

Posted by: JakeD | February 15, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

JakeD - you seem like a hateful, spiteful and mean person. Nothing good ever comes out of our mouth when you post on WAPO. I feel very sad for you.

Posted by: kashabear | February 13, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I doubt that Obama really prayed.

Posted by: JakeD | February 13, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

THIS CRASH IS TRULY A TERRIBLE TRAGEDY. I am *so* sorry for the loss of so many people. -- That said, although praying for others is a sweet and thoughtful gesture, there are FAR too many prayers being publicly disseminated by the federal government -- from the ridiculous and theatrical Rick Warren on Inauguration Day to the President himself today. Praying should be a private matter that is not reported by the Washington Post, the AP, or CNN.

Posted by: USNAAlum | February 13, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse