Raccoon Captured at the White House

By Michael D. Shear
A presidential raccoon has been rendered.

After weeks of stealthy avoidance, one of the masked mammals that had been prowling the White House grounds has been captured by the National Park Service, officials said today.

In keeping with the interests of national security and animal civil rights, President Obama's staff released few details of what was described as a "live capture," in which the raccoon was caught and whisked away to an "undisclosed location."

Deputy White House Press Secretary Bill Burton said it was "unclear" when the animal rendition occurred, saying only that it happened "recently."

He did say that efforts to lure the animal into a cage using apples, cat food and peanut butter failed. Instead, the White House shifted to salmon for bait.

It worked.

"They're a finicky bunch," Burton said of the raccoons, who apparently have sophisticated palates.

Burton could not identify whether the captured raccoon was the large one that had been spotted on the grounds recently, or one of the several medium-sized ones also roaming about.

He did say the raccoon was not harmed, and was released alive. He would not say whether the "undisclosed location" was the same one where former vice president Dick Cheney was often said to be.

The Washington Post broke the news of the raccoon hunt earlier this month. Days later, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said no progress had been made.

"There are a few that roam in my backyard, so I don't -- I don't have any particular tips," Gibbs said on Feb. 6. "And no -- no raccoons that I know of have been caught or disbursed into other places in Washington."

By Web Politics Editor  |  February 25, 2009; 4:03 PM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Barack Obama , Washington Life , White House
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jindal Joins the Club; A Response Refresher
Next: Future First Dog News! Sort Of.

Comments

Haha the Post changed their article. Good job Post!

Posted by: LarryCurlyMoe | February 26, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

"The bad: It's not the only White House raccoon." I can't believe the Washington Post posted that on their site. I nearly spit out the water I was drinking all over my keyboard. Jesse Jackson will have a sh** if he sees this! haha!

Posted by: LarryCurlyMoe | February 26, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Now the WaPo is "racist" too?! LOL

What about that rabbit that attacked Carter? Was that not "news" either? Was the rabbit part of a vast right-wing conspiracy.

Posted by: JakeD | February 25, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Although the raccoon denies it, I think it was responsible for convincing Bush to invade Iraq.

Posted by: maggots | February 25, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

News of a captured raccoon at the White House is only news if it is meant as a racial slur against Obama.

WaPooPravda, proud racist newspaper of the redneck Rethugligans.

Posted by: kevinschmidt | February 25, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

JRM2:

You're welcome.

Posted by: JakeD | February 25, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow, think that will work on Osaama?

Posted by: ImpeachObama | February 25, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JRM2 | February 25, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

JRM2:

Good bye, and good luck with your baby.

Posted by: JakeD | February 25, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

At least Ramos and Compean didn't shoot the raccoon running away.

Posted by: JakeD | February 25, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

So it was you, goodbye JakeD

BTW: You are disgusting

Posted by: JRM2 | February 25, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I would vote any PRO-LIFE African-American for President (even if they had a chance at winning). Again, no "racist" would do that.

Posted by: JakeD | February 25, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Masked Raccoon Wrestled to Ground by Secret Service Agents

Neighbors were shocked, saying the detained raccoon had been quiet, friendly and had always kept to himself.
- - -
Border Enforcement + Immigration Moratorium = Job & Eco Sanity

Posted by: tma_sierrahills | February 25, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

He's claiming he'd vote for a man who has absolutely no chance at becoming POTUS to try and cover his racism.

Posted by: JRM2 | February 25, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

JakeD did you really post that? if you did then there will be no more discourse between you and I.

Posted by: JRM2 | February 25, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

JakeD wrote: "How can I be a "racist" if I would have voted for Alan Keyes?"

That's a mystery indeed, but he has clearly and repeatedly succeeded in being racist for over a year in many comments.

Could it be he would vote for someone he doesn't at all respect just because he agrees with him or her on one issue, like perhaps, abortion? He has repeatedly stated that abortion is the single issue of any importance to him. And judging by his previous comments, he is clearly capable of exactly that level of cynicism.

Posted by: nodebris | February 25, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, REAL Humanitarian there!

Trying to Poison a poor defenseless critter with Peanut Butter!

What;

no Cyanide available? ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | February 25, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

The peanut butter bait didn't work? Obviously the raccoon has been reading the President's daily briefings.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 25, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I love these stories - great break from seriousness. Reminding me of the hoke about pastors comparing notes on how to rid their parish grounds of gophers - baptize and confirm them is the punchline. For the racoons . . . perhaps they should have been invited to cabinet posts and vetted!

Posted by: LCGyore | February 25, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

How can I be a "racist" if I would have voted for Alan Keyes?

Posted by: JakeD | February 25, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

They moved the racoon out to your trailer park, JakeD, so keep your garbage cans in.

Posted by: barnardj1 | February 25, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow, JakeD! You're obviously racist and I reported you and your hateful comments to the Washington Post. I hope you seek professional help. You are a sick man!

Posted by: RL16 | February 25, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Raccoons love raw eggs too. Was this one caught in the Oval Office? Instead of the Easter Egg roll, are they going to use watermelons this year?

Posted by: JakeD | February 25, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Sophisticated palates, maybe. But racoons with sophisticated palettes?? I think Robin Givhan would disagree.....

Posted by: Darth1 | February 25, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse