The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Washington Life

The Wizards Fan Who Talked Trash to Obama

Miles Rawls (standing) and President Obama. (Preston Keres/The Washington Post)

By Dan Steinberg
When I saw all the photos of Obama at the Verizon Center getting into it with a fan wearing an Obama T-shirt, and then read the caption identifying the guy as "Washington Wizards fan Miles Rawls," I smiled. Then I thought, "Wait a second....Miles Rawls?"

That would be Miles Rawls, the commissioner of the Goodman League down in Barry Farms. The same guy who rocks the mic throughout those classic summer league games, saying, for example, "Man, they bumping like a [bad word]" when players make contact. The same guy who once pointed in the general direction of me, a Slate editor and a Comcast SportsNet employee and said, 'Man, we got white folks in the house. When you've got white folks in the house, you know you're special."

That must have made for some interesting presidential banter, I figured.

"We were up by 15," Rawls remembered in a phone conversation this afternoon. "I told [Obama], 'You can tell them to warm up the limo, sir, because this is a wrap here.' "

And really, not too many people can claim to have taunted a sitting president with the old "Warm up the limo" chant.

Continue reading at D.C. Sports Bog»

Posted at 4:40 PM ET on Mar 3, 2009  | Category:  Washington Life
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Zoo Director to Head Office of Personnel Management | Next: First Lady Marks Women's History Month at Arlington Women's Memorial

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

If anyone else wants to have a rational discussion of the LATimes blog's "evidence" (or Feb. 2009 update re: Keyes's lawsuit) please let me know.

Posted by: JakeD | March 4, 2009 8:55 AM

Kay:

Hawaii law at the time allowed out-of-State births to be registered in Honolulu, and Obama's LONG FORM birth certificate has not been released -- neither did the Governor certify anything related to Obama's birth -- you are aware that witnesses from Kenya have stated he was born there, right? Let me guess, you DO think it's possible that Bush planted demolition charges at the WTC?

At the very least, I have as much basis to claim Obama is not legally President as your side did about Bush -- I think the word MoveOn.org used was "pResident" -- so, get used to it.

Posted by: JakeD | March 4, 2009 8:16 AM

President Obama's birth certificate is here:

The female republican Governor of Hawaii has authenticated this birth certificate and this is why lawsuits by the wingers are being dropped like hot potatoes, because President Obama was born in Hawaii to his parents (mother was born in Kansas, USA and his father whose name he shares was born in Kenya, Africa).

George Bush was chosen to be the president in 2001 by the SCOTUS, so honestly, he was not chosen by the people to be our president. Technically, he was never a legal president as far as Americans were concerned. Of course, the 2004 election was stolen and just before Mike Connell was going to testify on his role in stealing the 2004 election, his plane crashed killing him. A connection? Seems so!

Anyway....

We have a fantastic President now. Americans (and the world!) are thrilled to have President Obama in our midst.

Posted by: KayInMaine | March 4, 2009 7:54 AM

That's how I would have "talked trash" to Obama.

Posted by: JakeD | March 3, 2009 11:29 PM

My "chant"? I don't think that anyone has asked if I miss GWB. Your side kept going and going about "Bush lied, people died". Then why, if I may ask, doesn't Obama stop this illegal, immoral war? Why will he be keeping 50,000 troops in Iraq? Why hasn't he closed GTMO? Why is he still allowing extraordinary rendition? CHANGE you can believe in, alright.

Posted by: JakeD | March 3, 2009 11:27 PM

He IS a cool President...
thank goodness.

Jake D...still? I have not logged in a few weeks...and low and behold your chant hasn't changed.

Posted by: NoMoreFour | March 3, 2009 10:34 PM

I do.

Posted by: JakeD | March 3, 2009 10:30 PM

Really, does anyone miss George Bush?

Posted by: parkerfl1 | March 3, 2009 9:46 PM

JBG Jr.:

You're kidding, right?

Posted by: JakeD | March 3, 2009 8:02 PM

OK - so the economy is tanking. But, after 8 miserable years in the Bush league, we finally have a cool president.

Posted by: JBGJRESQ | March 3, 2009 5:51 PM

Obama is not legally President.

Posted by: JakeD | March 3, 2009 5:25 PM