White House Announces Names for Agency Posts

By Al Kamen
The White House tonight announced that President Obama intends to nominate several individuals for top jobs, including: Anne Castle, a Denver lawyer, to be assistant secretary for water and science at the Department of the Interior; Mathy V. Stanislaus, an environmental lawyer and chemical engineer, to be assistant administrator for the office of solid waste and emergency response at the Environmental Protection Agency; Jo-Ellen Darcy, who has been Senate Finance Committee senior environmental adviser, to be assistant secretary of the Army (Civil Works); and, former Office of Personnel Management deputy director John U. Sepúlveda to be assistant secretary of human resources at the Department of Veterans Affairs.

By Web Politics Editor  |  March 31, 2009; 7:27 PM ET
Categories:  Cast of Characters
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oprah Goes There With Michelle Obama
Next: Obama Looks for 'Consensus' in a Turbulent World

Comments

TAX FuN FaCts!

Under Clinton in 1995, 1.67 percent of all tax returns were audited.

Under Bush in 2000, 0.49 percent were audited.

How many people didn't pay the right amount of tax for the last 8 years we ran a deficit? We don't know because the Bush admin. didn't think it was worth it to find out.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | April 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks these appointees do their own taxes either with TurboTax or by hand are certainly smoking something. I know of no one in that income bracket who prepares their own taxes if for nothing more than to avoid the liability of doing them that way.

I can attest to the fact that if I miss one penny of my tax the IRS is on me like a rug and wanting their money now, not next year or later!

Posted by: nancycrichton | April 1, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Daschle's tax hit was impossible to excuse. Very disappointing. And his nomination was withdrawn. Geithner's was honestly worrisome.

Has anyone here read what Sebelius' actual errors were? Or is that an irrelevant consideration in forming your opinion? Because from what I've read, they sound pretty darn trivial.

I think anyone who itemizes knows and respects how many pitfalls lie within the federal tax code, much of which is barely intelligible. It's hard to find people who will volunteer to have their returns audited.

Posted by: nodebris | April 1, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

BTW c3, are you trying to tell me that Daschle, Geithner, Sebelius, etc. prepare their own tax returns? You must be snorting the same stuff Ashley Biden was. You Dumocrats are too funny.

Posted by: profmoriarty | March 31, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Let me guess commentator3 - you're a Democrat. Only another Dem would excuse this stuff. If this was a Republican administration having trouble filling slots because of lax tax practices, I can only imagine all the screaming and denouncing coming from your side. What goes around comes around....

Posted by: profmoriarty | March 31, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

$140,000 in back taxes (Tom Daschle) is hardly a minor error.

Posted by: JakeD | March 31, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh please, these were minor errors that anyone could have made. Not everyone gets their taxes prepared by a professional. Some of us do our own taxes and who knows if we've made any mistakes. Anyone can misplace a receipt too....

Posted by: commentator3 | March 31, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I think the real message coming out of the White House and Congress is ...."NO NEED TO PAY YOUR TAXES UNLESS YOU GET CAUGHT OR GET A BETTER JOB OFFER It seems only suckers pay their taxes...not politicans.

Posted by: grembacki | March 31, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse