The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Joe Biden

Biden: Cheney Is 'Dead Wrong'

By Scott Wilson
Vice President Biden had a ready response Tuesday to the accusation by his predecessor, Dick Cheney, that the Obama administration has made the nation less safe during its brief time in office.

"I don't think he is out of line, but he is dead wrong," Biden said on CNN's "The Situation Room." "This administration -- the last administration left us in a weaker posture than we've been any time since World War II: less regarded in the world, stretched more thinly than we ever have been in the past, two wars under way, virtually no respect in entire parts of the world. And so we've been about the business of repairing and strengthening those."

"I guarantee you we are safer today, our interests are more secure today than they were any time during the [previous] eight years," he continued.

Cheney began the back-and-forth in an interview with CNN's John King last month. The former vice president said Obama had shifted the country from a war footing to a strategy resembling law enforcement, adding that the new administration is "very much giving up that center of attention and focus that's required, and that concept of military threat that is essential if you're going to successfully defend the nation against further attacks."

Robert Gibbs, the White House Press Secretary, said the next day, "I guess Rush Limbaugh was busy. So they trotted out the next most popular member of the Republican cabal."

Former president Bush has refrained from criticizing the Obama administration. And Biden's comments Tuesday -- made as Obama returned from a six-country overseas tour where he emphasized a new American humility and desire for international partnership -- appeared without Gibbs' sarcastic edges.

"We are rebuilding America's ability to lead," Biden said. "And I remember President Bush saying to me one time in the Oval Office, and he was a great guy, enjoyed being with him. He said to me, he said, well, Joe, he said, I'm a leader. And I said, Mr. President, turn around and look behind you. No one's following. People are beginning to follow the United States again as a consequence of our administration."

Posted at 11:24 AM ET on Apr 8, 2009  | Category:  Joe Biden
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: A Plea to Obama from Father of Detainee | Next: About That Puppy...

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

BubbaRight wrote:
"Joe Biden doesn't know jack about anything. Dick Cheney is a realist and understands the challenges in the world today. You may not like to hear what he says but if your check the facts, he knows what he is talking about."

LOL

What the heck do think a fact is?
Does something become a fact because of who said it?

Posted by: elzoid | April 9, 2009 12:00 AM

Control questions:

Do you believe that Elvis is dead or alive?

Who is buried in Grant's tomb?

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 8:54 PM

Not at all. But, now I'm confused about whether we agree that Ken Lay IS dead. Do you believe that Ken Lay is dead or alive?

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 7:20 PM

My neighbors aren't worried about him either.

A fraudelent autopsy report in a podunk town where the person in question is the billionaire buddy of sycophantic public officials who could be bought....is not unthinkable. It's also odd that a Baptist preacher's son chooses to be cremated There's a convergence of weird circumstances here.

As for TERRORISM. The fact that you can't scare me into supporting right wing politicians, who want to continue making hard working Americans into debt slaves, is unsettling to you. Isn't it?

Posted by: rooster54 | April 8, 2009 7:18 PM

Unless the autopsy reports were fradulent, someone saw the body. As for Amin al-Bakri, I don't have custody of him, but we are debating his release on that other thread. Thanks for being the ONLY person willing to accept him into your neighborhood though. I wonder what YOUR former (and, especially, current) neighbors would "speculate" about you?

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 6:02 PM

JakeD-
I didn't know you had Amin al-Bakri in your possesion. I'm not afraid of him.

As for Kenneth Lay, my wife and several of my friends are good friends with Lay's former neighbors. I'm aquinted with another Enron defendant, and I know his parents and siblings quite well. Lay's former neighbors do actually speculate as to his real whereabouts.
I understand the body was cremated very quickly. I don't know who saw the body in an identifiable way.

Posted by: rooster54 | April 8, 2009 5:50 PM

Well, regardless of whether his family is better off or not, at least we agree that Ken Lay IS dead. BTW rooster54: Can we release Amin al-Bakri into YOUR neighborhood?

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 4:50 PM

JakeD-
I won't lose any sleep over a failure to indict Bush/Cheney. Obama probably thinks he can't afford the divisiveness of such a prosecution.
Lay's family made out like bandits when the sentence couldn't be executed. Why would they raise questions? He had to have known for years that and arrest and conviction could send him away for life. I only feel a little sorry for his filthy rich family. The world has lost better men.

Posted by: rooster54 | April 8, 2009 4:23 PM

Second Amendment, baby, Second Amendment!

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 3:53 PM

JakeD said:

JohnQuimby:

You are aware that gun / ammo sales have skyrocketed since Obama was elected, right? It never hurts to plan ahead ; )

Right, because arming the mentally ill isn't just a good idea, it's the law.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | April 8, 2009 3:45 PM

CountrywideLockheed:

If you ever do return, try reading Walker v. Cheney and Judicial Watch Inc. v. Department of Energy, et al. for more information (or to cure insomnia).

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 3:44 PM

P.S. to rooster54: you didn't ask me whether anyone had seen Ken Lay's body before it was cremated, but I imagine that his family and friends did (there were multiple funeral services and autopsy reports that confirm his heart attack caused by coronary artery disease. As a result of his death -- which had to be proved in court -- on October 17, 2006 the federal district court judge who presided over the criminal case vacated Lay's conviction). Now can you answer my question?

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 3:15 PM

BubbaRight:

Exactly. Maybe when Obama-Biden run for re-election, they will have to FINALLY stop blaming Bush-Cheney.

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 3:13 PM

Posted by: BubbaRight | April 8, 2009 3:06 PM

rooster54 (you never answer my question to you):

When the Obama DOJ fails to indict either Bush or Cheney, are you going to be okay with that?

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 3:05 PM

So much for "The Buck Stops Here". Seriously, Obama-Biden should track that plaque down and burn it.

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 3:02 PM

JakeD-
If a nuke devastates a U.S. city, Cheney et al will have given the terrorists the collective will to do it.
Such a coordinated attack would likely be funded with our own petro dollars sent to the middle east because of our failure to wean ourselves from foreign oil. Foreign oil and opiate export profit funded the 9/11 attacks.
If Reagan hadn't reversed Carter's energy independece plan, we would be sending zero dollars overseas for oil today. Thanks again, Gipper!

Posted by: rooster54 | April 8, 2009 2:58 PM

Hi, scrivener50.

Thatnk you for speaking out over the alleged abuse of power. I don't think you've answered how long you will give Obama-Biden until you realize they are in on it too?

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 2:45 PM

"When you see the abuse of power, you've got to speak."

-- VP candidate Joseph Biden, Aug. 27, 2008, Democratic National Convention

***

THE EXTRAJUDICIAL PUNISHMENT NETWORK:

STILL VIOLATING HUMAN AND CIVIL RIGHTS OF INNOCENT BUT 'TARGETED' U.S. CITIZENS...

ON THE STREETS OF NYC, DC, PHILLY, BOSTON...

...AND IN CITIES AND TOWNS ACROSS AMERICA.

And federally-funded programs equip the "community gang stalkers" who are terrorizing their neighbors -- in the process, destroying their livelihoods and degrading their health.

When victims complain, they are told there is "nothing to investigate."

True -- because federal and local authorities KNOW ALL ABOUT IT.

Will the national press corps -- and Team Obama -- wake up and realize that democracy is being stolen at the GRASSROOTS?

OR (if links are corrupted / disabled):

Posted by: scrivener50 | April 8, 2009 2:40 PM

CountrywideLockheed:

And here I thought that I jumped around to different topics alot! For the record, that "Alaska Judge" (Emmet Sullivan) is actually in D.C. If a nuke (or mutiple dirty bombs) devastates a U.S. city, then Cheney will seem prescient. The courts have also ruled on Cheney's "secret" energy meetings. Have you never heard of "executive privilege" before?

Perhaps you can pick one or two of the worse things you think that Dick Cheney did, and I will address those.

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 2:38 PM

Exactly who saw Ken Lay's corpse before it was cremated?

Posted by: rooster54 | April 8, 2009 2:33 PM

maybe cheney will be served up in court under a Haliburton lawsuit.

news just in...

Sarah Palin just shot Dick Cheney by mistake, thinking it was Bullwinkle, the Moose.

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | April 8, 2009 2:33 PM

Hey, if Cheney needed dialysis ?

Why the CIA could save bus fair and visit both Osama AND Dick in one visit.

Well Goss's CIA - whatever's left of it - and good riddance too.

Let's all just thank god Monica Goodling dismantled the DOJ and didn't bring religious fundamentalism into the CIA.

Just find Ashcroft on youtube singing - what is it ? Where Eagles Dare ? When Eagles Fly ? Let the Eagle Fly ? some crap on a stick served up Hatch style peri-WTC.

pretty sick stuff - and THESE people- had FREE REIGN- Monica Goodlingerized ! to GUT the DOJ ?

Alaska Judge is asking for PRIVATE OUTSIDE the DOJ investigation into this last botched prosecution job for Stephens.

I do say- he doesn't trust the DOJ - I say - the DOJ and CIA have been downgraded from triple AAA eh ? no doubt.

that says something when a JUDGE says - no DOJ, you will NOT be investigating yourselves.

Let's just say no one can be right all the time - so, clearly Cheney HAS been wrong.

What's HE think he's been wrong about ?

I saw the interview.

I don't think he thinks he's been wrong about Iraq.

I say there is that private energy policy meeting he had early on, then there is what we NOW know about Enron - and Enron was there, heck Enron used the bush campaign jet #2 - only TXU used it more in 2000. Energy lobbying ? heh ? And Enron only wanted to take over the entire global electricity grid - and gauge everyone in the process- sheesh - sure glad bush family wasn't in bed with Kenny Boy's ethics. Can't imagine what a Ken Laye would do as president - the damage- my god... It would be unthinkable.

It couldn't be worse than current though.

Now, instead of Enron employees having lost their 401k ? and pension ?

it's every US citizen.

It's Enron Nation folks.

make sure you forward that Judge in Spain a copy of Gonzalez's letter he sent to bush - stating he's no longer involved, and believes these actions regarding abandonment of the Geneva convention could lead up to and including the death penalty for bush - be sure he gets a copy -

I think it's a real interesting jump legally that CAN be made- MAYBE to Cheney too.

Let's hope Monica Goodling comes out of hiding and does the right thing and testifies.

Posted by: CountrywideLockheed | April 8, 2009 2:28 PM

abby0802 (and rooster54):

When the Obama DOJ fails to indicte either Bush or Cheney, are you going to be okay with that? (I don't know if we have extradition treaties with Dubai)

JohnQuimby:

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 2:21 PM

Yeah teacher, when I grow up ?
I want to go with AIG like my parents.

Wait - wrong subject.

"Yeah teacher, when I grow up ? I want to pick a religion that promotes End Days mentality to look forward too... (all of this to voice of Ralph Wiggum)... I think it will be great for my self esteem to look forward to end days - and as Sarah Palin's church says- Alaska if one of 3 states God has made Refuge states (you can watch her on youtube - she's right up on stage - it's hard stuff to believe she made it into ANY media presence after you see it)...

Wow - what parent can be considered a good parent who promotes an End Days template to the world for their children.

I'd say people with End Days mentality are EXACTLY the kind of people that would take that Fox offered CountryWide mortgage - in between the fear terror forever and lick Ollie North's shoes or be a TRAITOR for not watching his rehashing of WW II - only to BAIT you emotionally and then slip in the words Iraq and Afghanistan - which is it Ollie ?

End Says people ? I'd be weary of them, they'll do anything, why ? Jesus is coming and it's end days - and by god - they're SAVED too - so anything goes !

I've seen this sociopathy in cults before.

Don't matter Leeeeeeeeeroy - darned comet will be here in 2 weeks, won't make no never mind whatcha do with the farmer or his partner ? As cult #2940 loots farmhouse #20,293 before cult #2940's prediction of the end of the world !

Rove just USED the compulsives because they HAVE to vote pro life or risk losing their personal private selfish isolated - prolly why they moved to Alaska too ! - afterlife plans.

Smart move all in all - but Rove brought in a lot of unbalanced dangerous people- psychotics I'd say - I mean, really, you go to a psychiatrist and say "Jesus has returned, and Alaska is one of the 3 chosen refuge states by God " JuST QUOTING Palin's stage presence at her church, why ? you'd be jacked up on thorazine so fast.

Try Cheney - to into a psychiatrist office and say "A US city WILL LIKELY BE NUKED - under Obama"

Again - how fast can you script Eli Lilly ?

And yet ? we're supposed to swallow THIS PILL ?

sheesh

Posted by: CountrywideLockheed | April 8, 2009 2:12 PM

LOL! You think there are that many wheel-chair bound terrorists out there, do you?

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 12:36 PM

JakeD-
Yeah, that's almost as absurd as worrying about some old guy on dialysis out in the wilderness causing us trouble!

Cheney may be giving aid and comfort to the enemy with these comments, though. He's absolutely been the best recruiter ever for violent Islamic extremist groups!

I hear he's built a home in Dubai. Do we have extradition treaties with them?

Posted by: rooster54 | April 8, 2009 2:05 PM

Cheney is only relevant in terms of how he will be served up to a court.

And the wingers are praying for (organizing?) a terrorist attack and a murder or two so they can say, "I told you so." and seize power without another election they can't win.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | April 8, 2009 1:23 PM

After all that Bush and Cheney permitted -- torture, secret prisons, the gutting of our Constitutions and the rule of law, Cheney has the audacity to claim we are less safe under Obama?

Bush & Cheney did more to undermine this country than anyone. They started a war to get at the oil in Iraq and to feed Bush's ego. They lied to the American people repeatedly, they allowed businesses to do whatever they wanted -- profits over people, corruption, fraud, etc. Books are being written as to the crimes against America and humanity that occurred under the Bush-Cheney administration.

Cheney shouldn't be on TV disparaging Obama - he needs to be indicted.

Posted by: abby0802 | April 8, 2009 1:07 PM

yeah right cheney...

we believe someone that can't tell the difference between an elk/deer and a human.

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | April 8, 2009 12:58 PM

BTW rooster54: Can we release Amin al-Bakri into YOUR neighborhood?

We know that he won't be released onto the grounds at One Naval Observatory, that's for sure.

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 12:42 PM

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 12:36 PM

If (God forbid) America is attacked by terrorists, Dick Cheney needs to be brought in for questioning.

Posted by: rooster54 | April 8, 2009 12:29 PM

T-Prop wrote above:

Former Vice-President Cheney who has more executive experience in his little finger than both Biden and Obama combined. Don't tell me that you think former Vice-President Gore is irrelevant too?

End paste.

T-Prop

Hitler had more executive experience too - what's your point ?

weak argument pal - try a different brand of cereal in the morning.

Posted by: CountrywideLockheed | April 8, 2009 12:21 PM

Bush: "I'm a leader"

Biden: "No ones following"

That's great stuff there -

Biden won't get a book deal after this, he'll be set to start a Comedy Central tour - all he has to do is explain what they found when they took office.

Biden's too nice on Bush - I see those eyes on that 9.11 tape of Bush just sitting there - the ones on youtube - and I cant' help but think he knew something.

if you ask me - that plane that blew up over PA - WOULD have been reaching the White House at the SAME time bush was just sitting there - bush didn't know it was delayed. That's my final take on that.

Then again - I hold that Kennedy wanted to cancel the CIA - and bush sr. was sure not going to let THAT happen.

Iraq was SIMPLY About getting western oil back online, which this summer - it FINALLY went back online, Sunoco, Exxon, BP...

I can't believe Secretary Treasury - bush's first firee - was lying when he said ALL bush talked about entering office was 'find me a way into Iraq'- then ? to see a document ? "Corporate candidates for Iraqi oil fields " ?

yeah, no wonder US soldiers didn't have body armor - ANY 'leader' who sends their soldiers into battle unprepared - SIMPLY - cares not of them - and is no leader.

well, didn't mean to end up on that point, but that one is air tight, I'll rest on that one.

Bush needs to be brought into court in Spain -why ? GOnzalez wrote a letter stating he's no longer a part of Bush admin's decisions regarding abandoning Geneva convention. Since it's Gonzalez that is getting the subpeona ?

way I see it is, as soon as that judge in Spain gets a copy of that letter ?

he'll want Bush in the hot seat for torture - not Gonzy. Gonzy's letter explicitly warns the president his actions could lead to the death penalty for himself.

When your OWN attorney general says - hey pal - you could get the death penalty for these actions ? you ask yourself...

just ask yourself - I don't care - ask yourself anything, just question yourself.

It's a good process.

Posted by: CountrywideLockheed | April 8, 2009 12:19 PM

T-Prop:

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 12:18 PM

Cheney who?

Sour Grapes.

Posted by: T-Prop | April 8, 2009 12:13 PM

Biden is the one who is 'Dead Wrong' (unfortunately for those American lives who will be lost). Didn't he even admit that Obama's mettle would be tested just like a young John F. Kennedy? Last time I checked, the Cuban Missile Crisis did, indeed, put just a few American lives at risk.

Posted by: JakeD | April 8, 2009 12:00 PM