The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Video Report

Obama Thanks CIA for Work Against America's Foes

Note: Please upgrade your Flash plug-in to view our enhanced content.

President Obama tells CIA employees that they must do their work scrupulously because they are standing as a security barrier for Americans who face attack from people who have no scruples. (Associated Press.)

Posted at 4:44 PM ET on Apr 20, 2009  | Category:  Video Report
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Obama, Chávez and a New Approach to the World | Next: Managing the Obama Family Message

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

"Classified" means EXACTLY That!

And NO, the Dick Cheney did not support the release of THOSE Memos!

LOL! :-D

I loved the one someone posted about how to take a Liberal out of Action for a few days.

Get them out into the Country, get them to use an Outhouse;

and remind them to Flush!

Posted by: SAINT---The | April 21, 2009 2:25 PM

"I'd like to see a Gallup poll whether active CIA agents think that releasing the OLC was a good idea or not.

Posted by: JakeD | April 20, 2009 4:50 PM"
-------
Why would you need a "Gallup" poll to determine this?, of course they don't think it was a good idea because it implicates them in war crimes. But when did Dick Cheney or GW EVER listen to what the CIA had to say?, certainly not on 42 occasions prior to Sept. 11.

Posted by: JRM2 | April 21, 2009 12:58 PM

""Thanks Guys!

BTW, got any more Top Secret Classified Info I can throw out?"

Posted by: SAINT---The | April 20, 2009 5:38 PM"
---------------
This was not top secret info. everybody knew it was going on and if it is so "Top Secret" as you put it, then why is Cheney asking to release more of the memo's?

BTW, Obama got a standing ovation from the CIA AND the troops in Iraq.

Shortly after WWII America tried, convicted and EXECUTED a Japanese soldier for WATERBOARDING an American soldier, so a "precedent" has already been set by our own Government.

I remember a time when America had the moral high-ground, we've got to return to that position by at least not torturing.

I agree with Obama to ban torture and to NOT prosecute, although, because of the separation of powers he may not have much say in it other than a Presidential pardon.

Posted by: JRM2 | April 21, 2009 12:51 PM

I was looking forward to a bit more of the video from this speech and disappointed to see such a limited clip, obviously cut off in mid-paragraph (the last segment was an either-or thought and we just got the first half). Still glad to have some of this, though.

I noticed in other news sources that other reporters were surprised at how warmly and enthusiastically Obama was received by the CIA staff. I, however, am not surprised.

Here in northern Virginia we are proud of our fellow residents serving at the CIA (which is plainly marked with a regular highway sign, some people may be surprised to learn). I am confident that, in addition to their unquestioned achievements over the past eight years, many of them have also struggled over the politicization of intelligence and yes, the wildly conflicting, contradictory signals on how to properly do their jobs within the constraints of the Constitution.

Knowing the local community as I do, I'm also sure that quite a few voted for President Obama, by the way. Not a majority, but not a tiny minority, etiher.

I am glad the President has said that CIA officers who followed the (now discredited) legal advice of the day, and did not exceed it, will not be prosecuted. That is only fair. But I hope that distorted "legal reasoning" will shame its authors now, and perhaps lead to real consequences in their professional lives in the future. It was not fair to our country and it was not fair to the CIA.

Posted by: fairfaxvoter | April 20, 2009 6:24 PM

"Thanks Guys!

BTW, got any more Top Secret Classified Info I can throw out?"

Posted by: SAINT---The | April 20, 2009 5:38 PM

BTW: Obama is not "President" if he's not a "natural born" citizen.

Posted by: JakeD | April 20, 2009 4:52 PM