No Honorary Degree For Obama at Arizona State

By Al Kamen
Some people might think being elected the country's first African American president might be a big deal. Officials at the Arizona State University apparently don't think so.

President Obama is to give the commencement address May 13 at the university's Tempe campus. But he's not going to be given an honorary degree.

"It's our practice to recognize an individual for his body of work, somebody who's been in their position for a long time," Sharon Keeler, an ASU spokeswoman, told The Associated Press. "His body of work is yet to come. That's why we're not recognizing him with a degree at the beginning of his presidency."

So spending more money than any American president ever dreamed of is not a big deal? Past recipients of the award have included Barry Goldwater (before he ran for president), Sandra Day O'Connor (after only three years on the high court), former Virginia governor L. Douglas Wilder, former Cornell University president Frank H. T. Rhodes, University of Michigan professor emeritus James Duderstadt, and Wu Qidi, vice minister of education of the People's Republic of China.

"It's someone who's really outstanding, who has made outstanding contributions in their field," Keeler said. Like the Chicom vice minister of education?

So ASU's bottom line to Obama must be: Come back when you've accomplished something.

Good luck with that.

By Eric Pianin  |  April 9, 2009; 6:45 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The First Garden Gets Its First Planting
Next: On Economy, Obama Walks a Fine Line

Comments

THE ASU HONOR needs to be given in Shirley chisholms' name: she was the First and the Best trailblazer for Change in america and american Politics. The scholarship should be dedicated to The Firt geound breker in american modern history Congresswomwn/U.S. Representative and presidential Candidate Shirley Chisholm.

Does Race still Matter? How Barack is rewriting…. (U.S. News & World Report’s)…No…How the Media is rewriting the rules.If I see another magazine cover with Barack Obamas’ face plastered all over it… I may just throw up…don’t you think the public is sick of the over exposure of Barack Obama and the under-exposure or cover up of world history- political pioneer Shirley Chisholm’s contributions to this country. let us not get into the issues of the dummying down of America by the media, but let us get into having the media publish the realities of the political history of this country.On the Issue of Race, let us not just publish the latest political celebrity on the cover page for the hopeful sake of sales.Let’s give America - the new generation, a political leadership/history lesson on the person who was the original Change Agent and Broke down all of the barriers which Black Americans and women face and changed America forever…Congresswomen Shirley Chisholm.Now I know white America likes to live in denial of many things.But Shirley Chisholm took the old America of the past 50’s and 60’s and created a NEW ERA in American politics.Let us give credit and justice where credit is due….Although Barack Obama is the latest Black American political figure, he is very, very, very, very far from being the greatest…Shirley Chisholm gave America the change to become a united country so let us not keep the country divided covering up her magnificent, ground breaking and unprecedented campaign.She was the underdog who changed the Presidential Completion of America Forever and made world history, She brought Black America and Women into the world of Presidential and World Politics.. and let us admit and not forget that she may have not won the nomination but she was still a winner for those who were looking for change in the American political Landscape.

Joseph Edgecombe

Posted by: Black-history | April 12, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey, eucalyptus-girl -

I attended ASU and had two black roommates in the dorms there. Put away the race card; it's not about that. Gosh, too bad it's not that simple, huh?

prudencerussell - ask one of your highly-educated kids to give you some tips on spelling and grammar, m'okay?

flojo531 - your statement is racist. Why does one have to be black to understand what it took for Obama to achieve the presidency? I've seen and experienced racism. I get it.

Work the problem here, people.

Posted by: natrixnatrix | April 12, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Mr Crow.

RESIGN.

A half-assed scholarship - Gag me - not going to ameliorate this at all - stupid idea. Dumb and dumber.

How can you call yourself a university when you demonstrate such idiotic behavior?

Some offer of a 'mickey mouse' scholarship is not going to assuage the firestorm created by your bigotry and your insult to the first black president of the United States.

Your only way out of this is to disinvite the president or give him the honorary degree. The mickey mouse scholarship is not going to change anything with the vast majority of Americans - black and white - who are outraged by your bigotry.

Just disinvite him or give him the honorary degree!

Joe the plumber would be a better speaker for you anyway - that is your level -Joe the plumber - you would probably give an honorary degree to him. How about the brilliant Sarah Palin - I'll bet you would give her a degree! She is your kind of speaker. Or maybe Sarah Palin's daughter's boyfriend - he might be better for you. Or Anne Coulter - she is delighted with your actions - she is crowing. She is the girl for you and your university. How about Glenn Beck as your speaker instead of our president. Glenn Beck seems like someone you and your bigoted university could feel comfortable giving an honorary degree to. Cancel Obama and invite - how about Rupert Murdoch?

Expect a 10 year boycott of your racist school.
Expect a march against your university by the NAACP and other organizations - people BLACK AND WHITE WHO ARE DISGUSTED BY your actions - people who oppose bigotry - a million man march with signs - a march covered by the media cnn and msnbc (not fox)

Signs that say

Signs that say
BLACK PRESIDENT NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ARIZONA STATE

Signs that say
ARIZONA STATE NAZIS WELCOME HERE

Signs that say
ANNE COULTER IS OUR QUEEN

You will reap the whirlwind and you deserve to - a second rate school with a bigoted administration

You are a state school - your funding should be gone through with a fine tooth comb.

YOU SHOULD RESIGN.

And either disinvite the President of the United States (an enormously popular president except with right wing fanatics and bigots) or give him the honorary degree and APOLOGIZE TO THE PRESIDENT AND TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE FOR YOUR STUPIDITY AND BIGOTRY

RESIGN BIGOT AND APOLOGIZE FOR THE GOOD OF YOUR SCHOOL

YOU EMBARRASS YOUR SCHOOL. YOU EMBARRASS YOURSELF. YOU EMBARRASS YOUR STATE. YOU EMBARRASS US ALL.

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED

YOU WILL NEVER GET OVER THIS - THIS IS A CAREER MOVE YOU WILL NEVER LIVE DOWN.

YOU WILL ALWAYS BE KNOWN AS THE BIGOT OF ARIZONA STATE - THE GUY WHO DELIBERATELY INSULTED THE FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

YOU ARE AN EMBARRASSMENT FOR THIS COUNTRY

Posted by: eucalyptus-girl | April 12, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

TO ALL OF YOU THAT SHARE MY VIEW.....I JUST LOVE READING ALL YOUR COMMENTS ON ARIZONA "STINK" UNIVERSITY.
Allow me to quote what I always was telling my two daughters, quote, "I am not paying high tuition for you to go to school to be ignorant, I expect wisdom in return for my investment." Unquote, they did exactly just that.
For you NATRIXNATRIX, alumnus of ASU, tell the world and raise the flag for what ASU stand for...IGNORANCE. I REPEAT....I FEEL SORRY FOR THE GRADUATING CLASS OF ASU 2009 AND FOR ALL FUTURE GRADUATES OF ARIZONA "STINK" UNIVERSITY. This university will go down in history for ignorancy and President Barack Obama will go down in history as the 44th biracial President of the USA.
THAT IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.

Posted by: prudencerussell | April 11, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

To natrixnatrix, only a person who is black in America would understand what President Obama had to do and overcome to become the President of these United States of America. The reason for his success at the recent G20 meeting is because all of those leaders know that. I am sure they were amazed at the man. The President deserves the honorary degree from ASU and a hellava lot more.

Posted by: flojo531 | April 11, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

JakeD wrote: 'First, I'm not a "fruitcake".'

Ha! Best post ever by JakeD!

Posted by: nodebris | April 11, 2009 2:01 AM | Report abuse

Arizona State is actually a pretty good school, if you would care enough to do a little research.

As an alumnus, I have to smile at the school's refusal to hand out this honorary degree, and chuckle at those of you who seem aghast at the perceived slight.

I thought we were post-race? The author's lead sentence certainly isn't. And going to a good college and getting elected to public office actually aren't what one should consider a "body of work."

We have become a country where some people are called "heroes" for doing their jobs, others are famous for being famous, and millions camp in front of their televisions every night drooling over "reality" shows.

Good on ya, ASU, for actually giving it some thought.

Posted by: natrixnatrix | April 11, 2009 1:28 AM | Report abuse

I would suggest that the "qualification"
beyond being elected the editor of
the Harvard Law Review, working to
improve the lot of less advantaged
people in Chicago, being elected to
the Senate and the Presidency of
the United States, might be his distinction of greater decency than
the administration and faculty of
Arizona Stink University. And for
the record, President Obama is
equally as white as he is black;
a distinction often ignored, and
certainly not celebrated by his
critics.

Posted by: paxdove | April 11, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

I too have two grandchildren that I will be assisting with their selection on which schools they will attend. I can tell you FOR SURE ASU has just been crossed off our list. Money still speaks loudly.

Posted by: gramma321 | April 10, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

My understanding is that the ASU alumni reacted strongly enough and the neocon nincompoop president backed down, so that Obama will get the honorary degree afterall.

I hope that that is true. If so it will stand forever that the alumni of Arizona State are better educated and better informed than the brainwashed bigots which world famed (at least for football)Notre Dame turns out. The way they treated Mario Coumo a few years back and the way that they're acting now, I'm starting to think that all of the things said about the Church and Al Smith back in "28 were after all true!

Further to my point: I can't help wondering where all of that indignant rage was when the pedophile thing got out from under their carpet. We heard not a peep from the Notre Dame alumni that I know of.
Mahoney said that it was a sin and he forgave all of them so that there was no need to turn them over to the DA as criminals. And the Notre Dame faithful chanted Amen! My heart is with that Notre Dame President who I hope has the organizational strength to stick it out. I'm all but certain that Hesburg would dismiss the protesters with a wave of his hand. I used to resent criticism of the Catholic Chuch, but never again!

Posted by: winger1 | April 10, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey JakeD. There IS something wrong with going to church every Sunday, claiming to be a Christian when you speak as you do. You have hate in your heart and that hate manifests in your words. As for the President and Mrs. Obama they are looking for a church that won't create a political malestorm. A church that is predominately white is a problem, a church that is predominately black is a problem. There are not many churches that have a healthy multi-ethnic mix. Have you heard that Sunday is the most segregated day of the week. Final word JakeD, if you have older children let them read your comments and ask them what they think. I asked my 15 year old son to read your's and his comment was "the man/woman is whacked"! Just like I said, YOU NEED HELP!!

Posted by: flojo531 | April 10, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

To this institution, I say AS U !!!

Posted by: idallasj11 | April 10, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you Lucy..as you quote "My, who would want an honorary degree from that college. It is a third rate college." Unquote, hehehehe hahahahahah I love it. I could not have said it better. This is truly hilarious. Well, we have a lot of nephews and nieces coming up going to college...and surely I would not want any member of my family and relatives going to ASU...this I can assure the ASU will not happen in our lifetime.
Thank be to God my oldest daughter went to the same University as President Obama ...Harvard University, Law graduate, two (2) masters degree, one in law and the other in business administration, one (1) PhD, International Business Law and she did NOT attend Arizona State University. My daughter is choking with laughter at this so called "HONORARY DEGREE" FROM ASU.
My younger daughter is an accomplished computer engineer graduate of MASSACHUSETTE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (MIT)...top this one A S U. She too was dying of laughter with ASU soap opera hilarity.
WE CAN ASSURE THE ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY (ASU) THAT PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA IS NOT INTERESTED IN ANY OF ASU DEGREE. HE HAS ENOUGH TO BE PROUD OF WITH HIS TWO ALMA MATER, AND BE PROUD OF THE ACCOMPLISHMENT AS PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Michael is just President of ASU...I wonder who University will give him an HONORARY DEGREE AND WHAT ACCOMPLISHMENT WILL HE EVER UNDERTAKE IN HIS LIFETIME? THIS IS TRULY TRULY LAUGHABLE, REALLY. Matter of fact....it will be an insult to receive any degree from ASU. I feel so sorry for all the graduating class of ASU year 2009 and for all future graduates of ASU.

Posted by: prudencerussell | April 10, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

JakeD writes:

"Before I answer any of your new questions to me, you are going to have to answer my already-pending questions to you.

For latecomers, the question was "YOU, on the other hand, won't even answer whether you you passed math class in school."

I confess to avoiding a failure in any school subject until I ran up against an Economics professor in my third year of college who actually expected me to take a closed-book final exam in Economic Statistics before the age of pocket calculators while stoned. Imagine that!

Posted by: st50taw | April 10, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

What else would you expect from a state university in Arizona that did not even recognize the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. until a few years ago?

Posted by: ldsw | April 10, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

st50taw:

Posted by: JakeD | April 10, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

JakeD says, "Just wait until your father gets home!"

No, really he says, "Just wait until someone who DOES have legal standing reaches the Supreme Court."

Don't have that long. Not in this life or any other. You're not holding your breath, I hope.

What I meant about John Boy is that if he had any doubts about Obama's citizenship, why would he swear him in? Do you think in your wildest dreams he's going to reverse himself? Doesn't look too good for Team X(enophobe) chances, does it?.

Regarding your Marxism/Socialism fantasy, here's something wile away the time until the Court doesn't grant cert:

1. Make a list of every company in the U.S.
2. Make a list of every one that the Government controls today.
3. Cross off the second list every company the Government won't control one year from now.
4. Compare the two lists and say DUH!

When the man declares himself President for Life, then you might have a reason to whine. In the meantime, you'd better be beating the bushes (ha) for your own "Messiah" for 2012. I'm pulling for Sarah.

Posted by: st50taw | April 10, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

How dare ASU insult the President of the United States of American. When for the first time in years we have a president who places higher learning as a top priority. For that reason alone he deserves an HD. ASU should be ashamed!!!

Posted by: gramma321 | April 10, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

skimom27:

You're welcome, for the laugh, I guess. Regardless of what you think about Keyes, my point was that some of us opposing Obama are not racist.

flojo531:

We do go to church every week -- unlike the Obamas -- is there something wrong with that?

Posted by: JakeD | April 10, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

To JakeD, Nobama Angie, Hannity, Beck and the like you are all pitiful excuses for Americans. Your mothers should have aborted you. You are all a menace to society and are in need of psychotherapy. I'll bet you go to church every Sunday. The world needs to pray for you.
To Georgejones, where were you born under a rock?
To all of you who think President Obama benefitted from affirmative action, I can assure you that he, like many African-Americans got where we have because of hard work and refusal to let a racist country keep us back. Finally, after the Presidental election the question was, will race relations improve in this country. The answer was obvious from the first day President Obama took office. What we are seeing is unprecedented disrespect of a President from the media, governmental officials and ordinary "joe blow" citizens. You just can't stand to see a black man in the highest office in the land, you can't stand hearing a very articulate black man out think and out talk all of you. You are a pitiful, sick, sad bunch and the whole world is watching!!

Posted by: flojo531 | April 10, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I agree 100 percent with skimom27. President Obama should NOT GO to ASU, and his degrees are far superior to anything that school has to offer. I live in fear that something might happen to him, and I think his public appearances should be based on importance vs risk and very limited. A cheezy school that doesn't recognize our President's already considerable and significant body of work doesn't deserve to be regarded as important.

Posted by: blackeyedminx | April 10, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Although it's a surprising fact, ASU does not offer degrees in:

-Marxism/Socialism
-Drug Addiction
-Narcissism/Egomania
-ACORN voter fraud
-"Road to Hell" economics
-Teleprompter use

Therefore, hussein clearly doesn't qualify for a degree from ASU.

Posted by: LoonyLeft | April 10, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

On a more serious note, I wish Obama would NOT speak at ASU - too dangerous. They are already selling tickets to this on the web. His security team will have to be on their toes for this one - too many crazy people with guns!

He doesn't need their stupid honorary degree - he has real ones that are way better than theirs.

Posted by: skimom27 | April 10, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I would have supported a pro-life BLACK (such as Alan Keyes) for President. As hard as it is to believe, some of us opposed to Obama are not racists.

Posted by: JakeD | April 10, 2009 1:14 PM
___________________________________

OMG - JakeD, JakeD, JakeD you have finally shown how ignorant you are. I am from Chicago and was there when the Repugs moved Alan Keys to Illinois to run for office - HE IS THE MOST IGNORANT, LOUD MOUTH PERSON EVER!!! They laughed him out of Illinois. You cannot compare Obama to Keyes - Keyes makes Palin look intelligent! Thanks for the laugh!!

Posted by: skimom27 | April 10, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois, is proud to have awarded Barack Obama an honorary degree in 2005, before he had completed his "body of work." Just as it is proud to have awarded Abraham Lincoln his first degree of any kind -- an honorary degree -- in 1860, before he had completed the body of his work.

Posted by: Knox_pr | April 10, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

This was President Obama's chance to get the HD from ASU and that was because, according to them, he did not have "any experience". What experience? you don't really need any experience but we'll just say that the experience is not yet defined or like we say in Science: "What's a complete hypothesis can be made clear tomorrow but what appears to make sense today can be completely wrong tomorrow." Once he gets the experience that they want at ASU now, ASU would have moved the experience post. So, too bad, Mr. President. That's the way it works when you are Black in America, even if it's just a little tad of Black blood in your veins. It doesn't matter. You will have to work a little harder, and a little harder, and a little harder .......until you're White

Posted by: margaret10 | April 10, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

First, I'm not a "fruitcake". Second, neither the Chief Justice, nor the full Supreme Court, have ruled on the merits of that issue (yet). Roberts did try his best to mess up Obama taking that oath of office.

What you must be confusing is that the Supreme Court has denied cert. to someone who did not have the legal standing to challenge the election in the first place. That's called a "procedural" not "substantive" ruling. Just wait until someone who DOES have legal standing reaches the Supreme Court.

Posted by: JakeD | April 10, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

A note for all the fruitcakes who question Obama's citizenship:

Shouldn't you really be complaining to Justice Roberts? Maybe the GOP judicial poster boy and Chief Justice of the nation's highest court of law looked at the applicable Constitutional provision and simply said "screw it".

Posted by: st50taw | April 10, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

exotic2: Obama could be from Mars for all I know with absolute certainty.

I am however absolutely sure that he was sworn in as President of the United States and is still the President as I write.

Doesn't that just frost you?

Good.

Posted by: st50taw | April 10, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

As an alum of Arizons State University, I am not surprised that they are so foolish. The institution makes its own rules; however, this one goes too far. What should President Obama accomplish in order to get a honorary degre from ASU?

What world do they live in at ASU? Will the university change this racist decision after they insult the President of the United States! We will see!

Prof.Trevor Hall,Ph.D. (from Johns Hopkins University.)

Posted by: lingua11492 | April 10, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

JakeD: Wow! Some "gotcha". I neglected to answer what most intelligent people would consider a rhetorical question. That's r-h-e-t-o-r-i-c-a-l.

In any case, whatever Obama is doing, the mighty bastion and bellwether of free enterprise, Wall Street, doesn't seem displeased with the results. Wells Fargo seems to be doing particular well, in case you didn't notice who lead yesterday's (4/10) gains in the market. In due time, the money will be repaid and the banks can go off doing whatever they do, which hopefully won't include buying fool's gold.

Posted by: st50taw | April 10, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Maybe instead of calling the University
ASU we should call it U-AS.

Posted by: gbeasley1 | April 10, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Consider the source: "Party Central", that academic bastion of higher learning doesn't want to give President Obama an honorary degree. I bet he is just devastated that he won't have that to put on his resume.

Posted by: darlenedeminSoCal | April 10, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

ASU just passed-up an oppurtunity to show America that they are not a bunch of snobs. Instead, they have shown the world that not only are they snobs, they are complete idiots!! I, too, would like to see President Obama send his regrets but he has too much class to be so trite...which is more that I can say for the powers that be as ASU!

Posted by: EFudd2 | April 10, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

JakeD - you have posted an excellent comment about Obama's lack of citizenship and his ineligibility to be President. Well said! You forgot, however, to mention Obama's *father's* birth certificate has been publically available for years. It states clearly the father is 92% ARAB and 8% black. He is not even black!

No one can question this without being called an Uncle Tom or a racist. The majority of blacks and people of color voted for him (I did not) because of his race. (Is this not racism?) It was very well done - now we are all cursed with the result.

As a black woman married to a white man I want to add no one is prejudiced against us, no one harrasses us, and Mr Eric Holder can start remembering I have just as much right to like watermelon as my husband. People are individuals and most people want to get along.

Posted by: exotic2 | April 10, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Jake, it's time to get off the internet. Your teacher says you still have three chapters to catch up on in "My Weekly Reader."

Posted by: HughBriss | April 10, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Pres. Obama’s body of work so far is: (1) 44th President of the United States of America (2) United States Senator (4 yrs) (3) State Senator (8 yrs) (4) Harvard Magna Cum Laude Law School Graduate (5) Harvard Law Review Editor (6) Juris Doctorate, Masters, & Bachelor degrees
(7) Constitutional Law Professor (8) Author of TWO best-selling books (9) A stellar record as a community organizer (10) Highly respected and an inspiration throughout the world (11) A self-made millionaire

To suggest that Wu Qidi, Vice Minister for Education of the Peoples Republic of China, is more deserving of an Honorary Doctorate than Pres. Obama is ludicrous. What Pres. Obama should do is respectfully decline their invitation to speak and accept an invitation from one of the universities clamoring for his presence.

This is for RABRENT, NOBAMA11, ANGIE12106, and other-liked minded bigots of their ilk: Did I mention Pres. Obama is the first person of color to achieve POTUS? What are YOUR accomplishments? You need to take off your sheets and stop hiding under the anonymity of the internet. The world you desire to live in is soooooooo over. There’s been a paradigm shift - GET OVER IT!

Posted by: psb65711 | April 10, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

ASU should be ashamed of itself to invite the first African American president of the United States to give a commencement speech, for him to graciously accept (one of only 3 offers accepted!) and then to have a "spokesperson" say that he doesn't deserve an honorary degree because he hasn't achieved a "recognizable body of work"
He vanquished the juggernaut of Hillary's inevitable presidency, restored the American Brand abroad and has in a few months done much to clean up the mess left by George Bush (whom I'm sure would have been "deserving" of an honorary degree, according to ASU standards).
You've obviously squandered a great opportunity and you deserve the derision you've now acheived,

Posted by: lothardelgado | April 10, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

HughBriss:

Posted by: JakeD | April 10, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

What, somebody at ASU wasn't happy when Obama moved into the WHITE House?

Posted by: HughBriss | April 10, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

P.S. if Obama was, in fact, born in Kenya -- why won't he consent to release his LONG FORM birth certificate if not -- then he is NOT a "natural born" citizen because his mother was underaged at the time. Look it up, if you don't believe me:

Birth Abroad to One Citizen and One Alien Parent in Wedlock: A child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under Section 301(g) INA provided the citizen parent was physically present in the U.S. for the time period required by the law applicable at the time of the child's birth. (For birth on or after November 14, 1986, a period of five (5) years physical presence in the U.S., and two (2) after the age of fourteen (14) is required by the citizen parent. For birth between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986, a period of ten (10) years, five (5) after the age of fourteen (14) are required for physical presence in the U.S. to transmit U.S. citizenship to the child.)

Posted by: JakeD | April 10, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

a4hope:

Sandra Day O'Connor didn't play football either.

st50taw:

I'm not "scared" of anything. YOU, on the other hand, won't even answer whether you you passed math class in school. Wells Fargo didn't need or want federal funds but was FORCED to accept, and I hear that the feds won't "allow" BofA to re-pay funds now that everyone knows Obama is, indeed, trying to take over the banks. As I said, he hasn't accomplished his socialist take-over (yet). Maybe when he does, the ASU will give him that honorary degree ; )

Posted by: JakeD | April 10, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

As alum of Arizona State I am disgusted and embarrassed by the university’s actions. But what else could we expect from this state? Only the threat of never having a Super Bowl got them to pass an MLK holiday here. So I guess what they mean by “hasn’t accomplished” they mean, “Does not play football”. Way to go ASU, you will not see anymore of my money.

To all of those making a big deal about where Obama was born, give it a rest. It does not matter where he was born. His mother was a natural born citizen of the United States and any child that she bares is an American citizen as well. In short he could have been born in Timbuktu and would still be an American citizen. Thankfully for us he was born in Hawaii (a US state for those of you who have had Republican educations) to make it simple for you simple minded neo-cons. Please see your local constitutional scholar if you need more detail-like our current president… Need I remind Republicans that John McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone? But no one ever questions his citizenship.

Posted by: a4hope | April 10, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

JakeD:

You wasted a lot of space failing to define Obama as a socialist.

Do most of the recipients need and want the money? Yes. Should we get something in return (like competent managers and salaries that don't one's eyes roll)? Yes. Will the condition be permanent. No. Is there a stated or even implied desire to own or control the means of production? No.

Socialist-socialist-socialist BOOH!
Scared you, didn't I?

Posted by: st50taw | April 10, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

edlharris:

How does spending a lot of money to bail out private enterprise in an economic crisis constitute socialism?

What means of production do we own?

Looks like you need to REPEAT high school...and quit getting your education from FOX.

Posted by: st50taw | April 10, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

See below for Qidi's resume--this woman is incredibly accomplished in her field (PhD in Electrical Engineering). You might not agree with ASU's decision, but it's incredibly insulting to disparage this woman in such a way, perhaps in a poor attempt at humor. You owe an apology.

1970, BSc, Department of Radio Engineering and Electronics, Tsinghua University; 1981, MSc, Department of Precision Instruments, Tsinghua University; 1985, PhD, Department of Electrical Engineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH, Zurich. 1975-78, Assistant Engineer, Standardization Research Institute, Chinese Electronics Industry Ministry; 1978-86, Research and Teaching Associate, Department of Electrical Engineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH, Zurich; 1986-90, Associate Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, Tongji University; since 1990, Professor, Institute of Electronics and Information Engineering, Tongji University; since 1995, current position. Chair, Degree Committee and Academic Committee, Tongji University. Vice-Chair, Shanghai Degree Committee and Shanghai Science Association. Senior Member, IEEE. Member, State Degree Committee of China. Expertise: automatic control theory and its application; intelligent automation; system engineering; advanced manufacturing technology, including CIM, FMS, CE, SCM; management methodology, including BPR.

Posted by: atl24 | April 10, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Maybe ASU should stop giving degrees until it has accomplished anything ( not just something).

Posted by: canadagoose | April 10, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

The half breed is not the POTUS, he is illegitimate, if the media and Pelosi/Reid would do their job, a congression investigation should be opened into this twits election indiscretions and treasonable actions and terrorist associations. He is by far the most Marxist person to achieve high office, which means there are a lot of other non Americans out there.

Posted by: Nobama11 | April 10, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

For Heaven's sake. Obama hasn't accomplished anything other than to be elected and in his position trash the US while on foreign soil, show distain for business and the military and in general try to further polarize the country. He deserves no degree for planning to spend more than all of the former Presidents who went before him or for his lack of understanding of how people earn money so they can pay taxes.

Posted by: rabrent | April 10, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

asu: steers and ???????

Posted by: lookitkup | April 10, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I bet the fool or fools who made that decision are Republicans....oh, isn't McCain from Arizona?? I think Obama should find some reason to not go and send one of his cabinet members in his stead or....why don't they ask Bush? He has accomplished many things, none of them great.

It is insulting and I find myself being very offended by this university's action.

Posted by: MsPris | April 10, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MsPris | April 10, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

This is definitely not about the President of the United states, it is about ASU. I duly recognize their strategy to publicize their University by urging this discourse of "to be or not to be" the answer lies therein.

I am certain that President Obama can do without an honorary degree from ASU, given that he earned one from the prestigious Columbia not to mention Harvard.

Here is the first African American being disrespected at the same level comparable to the disrespect of the MKL holiday debacle in the same State. (Go Figure) And the shame continues.

Posted by: mdcpbd | April 10, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Well- at least ONE university isn't buying into the Oblahma worship!
What has Obama done to be awarded an Honorary degree? He won the presidency because his followers cheated during the primaries while he played the Race card adnauseum - and the media supported him 24/7.
Doesn't meet criteria for Honorary degree!
Thank you ASU!!

Posted by: angie12106 | April 10, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Arizona State's faculty was just trying to be sensitive. After all, when one has been editor of the Harvard Law Review and has taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago, it would be kind of embarrassing to get any kind of degree from a dinky little basketball factory in the desert.

Posted by: jeromenorris | April 10, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Speaking as one who works at a college, I think they have a serious screw loose, as a friend of mine says!

Posted by: graycatbird | April 10, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I am certain President Crow at ASU would love to hear from everyone on this matter:

Contact ASU President Crow

I heartily recommend a big ol' serving of crow for such an epic, massive FAIL of morality and ethics by his school.

They can give an honorary to a low level ministry official in Communist China, but not the first African American President, former senator, Constitutional scholar and teacher. Pathetic.

Posted by: HeartlandLIberal | April 10, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

"They're not offering you an honorary degree, Mr. President."

"What, seriously?"

"Yes, sir."

"Bummer. I needed that for my résumé."

Posted by: mizzy1 | April 10, 2009 3:15 AM | Report abuse

These are institutions of "higher learning"?? Amazing... Notra Dame's faculty wants to rescind the invitation to speak, and ASU refuses to bestow an honorary degree. But of course the president has agreed to speak at these universities because he also has a motive - he still believes he can get some of these people to his point of view. Fair enough. Is it all politics then? I don't think Obama's intention is to garner more honorary degrees; as posted here he has Columbia and Harvard behind him. I think he likes a challenge. Ironically, these actions by the schools reflect more on them than on the president. He's cool with it.

Posted by: jbleenyc | April 9, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

What a bizarre decision by ASU, "Obama's doesn't have enough real accomplishments to get a fake degree".

You have to wonder if anyone would want to accept an honorary degree at ASU this year and have to live under the scrutiny that they accomplished more than President Obama.

Posted by: NHModerate1 | April 9, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they just don't like commies?

Posted by: obblehit | April 9, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

LOL.. georgejones5, could you be more misguided? or were you kidding? George Bush can't speak spanish worth a damn (Jeb on the other hand is fluent.) Both Obama and GWB went to Ivies and both have advanced degrees. GWB's affirmative action was more pronounced than Obama's because he didn't have the scholastic record to support his admission based on his family name. And turn off Hannity; it's actually quite clear where President Obama was born.

wow..

Posted by: simpsonsteve75 | April 9, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

An honorary degree from Arizona State is like....an honorary degree from Arizona State? It's hard to find a comparison!

Posted by: thrh | April 9, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Arizona State has a reputation as a great party school, not an intellectual hotbed. What a joke. The Arizona State idiots who made that idiotic decision are an embarrassment.

Posted by: castillomark | April 9, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

It is hard to compete with Erma Bombeck's honorary degree in 1980.

Pearl Bailey received one in 1989 so it's not as though they don't know any black people at ASU.

Posted by: FrancesPerkins | April 9, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

edlharris:

He's not done yet.

Posted by: JakeD | April 9, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

So far he's an affirmative action guy with no saddle. Bushie had an ivy degree, advanced degree, could speak a foreign language and fly a jet plane. Didn't mean he was bright. Both had substance abuse problems and multicultural families. And now we're seeing the same stupidness of personality in Obama. Besides, it's far from clear where Obama was born.

Posted by: georgejones5 | April 9, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they should wait until they feel he's accomplished something before they invite him to be commencement speaker, eh?

Anyway, having degrees from Columbia and Harvard, I don't think he's going to be particularly crushed about missing out on the ASU paper.

Hey, you think all this conservatives talking about socialism learned about it at fine institutions like ASU? Non Limbaugh, I know, since he couldn't finish college. But the rest of them. Because at UVa we got a slightly more detailed explanation of the subject then most conservatives seem to have walked away with. If you were listening in class, anyway. It seems like republicans I read in the comments section here got their political science off the back of a cereal box, though. Or from Rush. Six of one.

Posted by: nodebris | April 9, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

st50taw:

"Lacking factual basis"? What part of $3.6 TRILLION (more than any U.S. President before him ) are you having trouble understanding? I know it's a large number, but you passed math class in school, right?

A little cranky, jaked is.

"Socialism refers to a broad set of economic theories of social organization advocating public or state ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods, and a society characterized by equality for all individuals, with a fair or egalitarian method of compensat"

So, the government owns the means of production now.

Posted by: edlharris | April 9, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

And he needs an honorary degree from Arizona State because he didn't earn and undergraduate degree and a law degree from two Ivy League institutions... To be sure his earned degrees from Columbia and Harvard trumps an unearned degree from a State University. It's not even the best State University. Who cares, he will still address them with his dignity and and grace.

Posted by: Carole5520 | April 9, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I hope the students of ASU get angry about this. Their school administrators just made them look like bigoted, backwater fools who place politics above common courtesy and respect. Arizona State is now a national embarrassment, forever linked -- in my mind, anyway -- with this small-minded effort to belittle our first African-American President. ASU's administrators should be ashamed of themselves, and ASU students should be ashamed, too, if they don't take action to get this ugly decision reversed.

Posted by: unpeople | April 9, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

For arizona state to say they gave honorary degrees to people like berry goldwater is nothing to brag about. This only shows the racist views of arizona state. Every person arizona state listed as receipients to the honorary degrees are out spoken racists. If I was President Obama I would not want a degree from arizona state. I encourage ethnic groups to go to Arizona and leave arizona state.

Posted by: nswclb | April 9, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | April 9, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

st50taw:

"Mr. Obama's $3.6 trillion budget blueprint, by his own admission, redefines the role of government in our economy and society. The budget more than doubles the national debt held by the public, adding more to the debt than all previous presidents -- from George Washington to George W. Bush -- combined. It reduces defense spending to a level not sustained since the dangerous days before World War II, while increasing nondefense spending (relative to GDP) to the highest level in U.S. history. And it would raise taxes to historically high levels (again, relative to GDP). And all of this before addressing the impending explosion in Social Security and Medicare costs."

Posted by: JakeD | April 9, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

SwellLevel5:

lol

Go to the head of the class!

Posted by: st50taw | April 9, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I've gotta say I never would have realized that this was news, so kudos to Mr. Kamen for striking gold in the Arizona desert.

When can we expect the report on Obama not winning the Nobel Prize, an Oscar or the Kentuck Derby?

Posted by: JohnQuimby | April 9, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

They're just mad because he beat the pants off Mr. McCain.

Posted by: gitouttahere | April 9, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Well, it looks like Obama is going to have to wait through another Graduation Cycle to get that coveted degree from a Community College.

Posted by: SwellLevel5 | April 9, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

pkhenry write: "Turning America into a socialist state in only two months is really quite an accomplishment."

The new ditto-head mantra (fast replacing the old "invitation to terrorism" and its variants) is so lacking in factual basis that only a fool or charlatan would dare utter it. Unfortunately, we have a more than ample supply of both.

Posted by: st50taw | April 9, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Most universities save their honorary degrees for fatcats they hope will part with a chunk of their ill-gotten gains in order to build a luxurious athletic complex, pay millions to a basketball coach (UK, anyone?), or have his and his 8th wife's name plastered all over some fancy new dorm for pampered rich kids. ASU is famous for being a superficial party school, so their action re: Obama is par for the course.

Posted by: greener_pastures | April 9, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

A degree from Arizona State would be like getting a booby prize.

Posted by: DaVinciCode | April 9, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

pkhenry:

Exactly -- just think though what's in store after that -- Obama's "life work" has hardly even started!

Posted by: JakeD | April 9, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

It took several generations to bring down the Berlin Wall, and Obama has undone it all in a matter of a few weeks.

Posted by: pkhenry | April 9, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

lucy2008:

Fine, then people like Al Kamen should stop complaining about it.

Posted by: JakeD | April 9, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

My, who would want an honorary degree from that college. It is a third rate college. President Obama already has two degrees from top tier universities that he earned (Columbia and Harvard). This is so silly. Mr. Obama was elected to the Harvard Law Review, wrote two award winning books- one a major literary piece, was a community organizer and ran and served in the Illinois state senate and US senate (eight years of service), ran for the presidency and changed how campaigns were financed and supported by the people, and now is reversing the horrible policies and illegal programs from the last decade. This President will likely win the Nobel Peace Prize for his work within our country and the global arena. That some surly, sour grapes, whiney college administrators from a podunk Arizona college look pretty foolish. They look foolish and stupid to their own students.

Posted by: lucy2008 | April 9, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

A degree from Arizona State; as Grandma would have said: "Such an honor."

***

DID FED 'TORTURE MATRIX' HIT HILLARY '08 RALLY?

GOV'T FUSION CENTER SPYING: PRETEXT TO HARASS AND CENSOR?

IF LINKS ARE CORRUPTED:

Posted by: scrivener50 | April 9, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

LOL! Now, if we can just get Notre Dame to rescind that invitation and our journey towards the dark side will be complete!

Posted by: JakeD | April 9, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

It is Arizona, after all. Some folks there still live in the 19th century, and must require something like a Nobel Prize before some newcomer like Obama can be recognized.

Even so, ASU's position is, as you point out, intellectually indefensible. It's not as if they were a major intellectual center. whose assessment of someone's "life work" (uh, two best selling nonfiction books?) deserves respect.

This decision just makes them even less respectable.

Posted by: thaimex | April 9, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse