All in the Family: McCain's Mother Slams Rush

By Garance Franke-Ruta
Meghan McCain's recent efforts to redefine what it means to be a Republican may not be entirely a Generation Y thing, after all. Last night, her grandmother, 95-year-old Roberta McCain, appeared on NBC's "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" and slammed conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh, saying "he does not belong to the Republican Party that I belong to."

Asked who bothered her on the left and right, she cited, without missing a beat, "Olbermann" -- "thank God I'm not around people like him" -- and said that Republican National Committee chair Michael Steele's assessment of Limbaugh as an "entertainer" was "exactly right."

"What he thinks about or represents about the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it," McCain said of Limbaugh, to audience applause. "I don't know what the man means. I don't know what he's talking about."

The elder McCain's comments come on the heels of the radio commentator calling for her son and granddaughter to be thrown out of the party.

"A lot of people say, 'Well, Specter, take [Sen. John] McCain with you. And his daughter [Meghan]. Take McCain and his daughter with you if you're gonna..." Limbaugh told listeners on his radio show at the end of last month, after long-time Pennsylvania Sen. Alen Specter defected to the Democrats.

"...It's ultimately good. You're weeding out people who aren't really Republicans," Limbaugh said.

Meghan McCain responded to the taunt by Tweet, writing, "RED TIL I'M DEAD BABY!!! I love the republican party enough to give it constructive criticism, I love my party and sure as hell not leavin!"

By Web Politics Editor  |  May 14, 2009; 12:12 PM ET
Categories:  Republican Party
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pelosi Accuses CIA of 'Misleading' Her on Interrogations
Next: Credit Card Practices Topic A at Obama Town Hall

Comments

This is funny, surely she remembers what happened to her son, he and the first Bush tried to run as a "Moderate". The greatest Presidents were 'conservative" (Reagan, Washington and others).

Posted by: Cbergklint0001 | May 18, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I was a registered republican for years until the corrupt Bush Adm. and I switched because they ruined America as we have always known it. I am glad to see that some of the old party is still alive and speaking out against trash like Rush Sleasball as he is a very poor entertainer if you want to even call him that.

Posted by: SWAMPYPD | May 16, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

God bless Roberta McCain. With thoughtful people like her, maybe there is hope for the Republican Party. Too bad her son didn't use some of her sense in picking a V.P. candidate.

Posted by: EddieV | May 15, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

95 years old, and still sharp as a tack.

You go, Mrs. McCain! God bless you and your family.

Posted by: Observer44 | May 15, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Ha Ha!!! Right On.

Feisty Lady.

I'd vote for her!!!!!

Posted by: T-Prop | May 15, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Do I understand right that proposed fix for the declining number of Republicans is to get rid of all the moderates and have an ideologically pure party of conservatives? While that might have long term benefit it hasn't worked lately and the last Republican to win really big time (Reagan) took the opposite approach. I doubt the GOP will decline to 1 as a previous poster suggested but at 52% Dem or lean Dem and 40% Rep or lean Rep I don't see the GOP as able to absorb a lot more defections. (source: Gallup 2008) If a party drops below 40% I don't see it having a lot of influence nationally.

Posted by: DoninMinnesota | May 15, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Rush should get AIDS from his Nigerian houseboy give it to Hannity who will frot it all over the GOP!

Posted by: NGrunge | May 15, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I am not a Rep. or Dem., and I most certainly do not want any responsibility for this TRAIN WRECK called Obama's presidency...but, we here in Az. think Roberta, her Son and granddaughter will be out of our politics after next year's Senate election! He has ridden that "war hero" train as far as it goes. I don't see him missing any limbs, lives like a King, and wants open borders....the McCains are all a bunch of elitist nut jobs!

Posted by: GVJaneRealEstateAz | May 15, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

The ironic and un-laughable sober truth is that after the Obama Democrats have finished their "social experiment fling," having attempted to dis-mantle and render dis-functional the best Government for people ever in existance. the Republicans and Conservatives will have the job of restoring the United States...
That is going to be difficult, but also a stark, truthful, necessity!

Posted by: USDefender | May 14, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Man, can't someone slide Rush under a bus for us please. I know there are plenty of us that like him, even worship him (Yes, it's creepy like that) but I personally have always felt he was a bully and didn't like him putting his stamp on my party. Even his TV show years ago was awful. I wearily watch as some among us are pointing saying "Hey, look at what the Dems are doing now!!" I fire back; "Yah, and you know what, we FLUSHED it when we had the reins. We had years of opportunity to cut costs, trim Gov and all that conservative jazz." What my compatriots don't seem to understand is that the country, in no uncertain terms pushed us out. And it wasn't because the populous really wanted a Dem in there or really had all that much lovidoviness for Obama. They just wanted us OUT. Until Rush and his ilk in our ranks gets the clue we're destined to be 2 rung for the foreseeable future, that that scares me. I'm still a Republican, but near as I can tell our values are as set in stone as adobe, once we get the touch of power we rain on it all and we become mud.

Posted by: mathue | May 14, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I am glad that someone sees the real Rush. He is a big wind bag with nothing to say. How he keeps his radio program amazes me to no end. He is a hate monger, who happens to be racist. He is not an entertainer by any means. An entertainer appeals to the masses, Rush appeals to only a small majority of people who need to be led by the nose to the trough to exist. Ms. Roberta McClain should have been John's choice for VP. Heck, she should have been the nominee for President. I am a Democrat but I would certainly consider Ms. Roberta for my vote.

Posted by: racam | May 14, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

John should have asked his mom before he decided to go ridin' on down the trail with Ms Alaska. Maybe Rush and Roberta should go off on a trail ride (Pity poor Rush's mount)and she could school him on what real Republicans really think. I don't think she wants the Republican party to be the pro-torture party.

Posted by: thebobbob | May 14, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Those who tweet on Twitter are "twits".

Posted by: Its_the_Truth_Anyhow | May 14, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Meghan McCain appreciates the irony of her tweet " "RED TIL I'M DEAD..." In the Joseph McCarthy era, the Repub battle cry was "better dead than red." Gives me a chuckle.

Posted by: org2 | May 14, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

The Party of Rush, Steele, Cheney, or Powell. So many variants. Myself, after decades of being a member am an Obama Republican. Guess whom we supported (and won.)

Posted by: PatMaGroyn | May 14, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

So if anybody disagrees with Rush Limbaugh, they are to be kicked out of the Republican Party? How can they allow this man to run the part? And this guy is NOT a Dictator? BULL!! Who appointed him Boss of the party?

Posted by: Angryman | May 14, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Rush Gasbag strikes again. If he keeps it up, the GOP will be a party of 1 (guess who?). LOL.

Posted by: Fjet2020 | May 14, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

The last of the real Republicans. Mrs. McCain is clearly thinking about the party my parents belonged to. That party is gone, replaced by a freakish mutant spawn that is indeed unrecognizable to folks that remember Eisenhower.

Posted by: nodebris | May 14, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

L@@k! The GOP party lost the Senate, the house and now the white house after multiple elections. How many more clues do you folks need? I literally gasp when most of these so-called RED folks come on the MSM with their spew. If you want proper Republican direction, please look and follow Ron Paul. He is their only hope! Vote out all of those corrupt neo-con GOP veterans who are in politics for themselves, not the people or the country.

I am an independant and will remain that way until there is a legitimate party with true consitutional and american people values. The only one is Ron Paul, but the majority of voters are blind and most politicans are purchased by big business and lobbyists... We are certainly better off with the Democrats in power... but there is still too much corruption even with them. We are a mirror of the dying Roman Empire! It's just that we have modern technology instead of Chariots!

Posted by: darbyohara | May 14, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Rush (very aptly named) Limbaugh should pull his lower lip up over his head and swallow.

Posted by: Bushwhacked1 | May 14, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Finally, a Republican with common sense…

Posted by: parkerfl1 | May 14, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER (AND DAUGHTER)

John McCain could have become the champion of moderate Republicans if he'd have listened to his mother and his daughter -- instead of the GOP neo-cons whom he allowed to hijack his campaign.

Momma Roberta should cook him up some oysters. It's never too late.

Posted by: scrivener50 | May 14, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love them McCain ladies. Rush is not even a very good entertainer. I'm right concerned by anyone who professes a love for the guy.

Posted by: lakelubber2000 | May 14, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

McCain's mother and daughter may be opposed to the radical right wing - but John McCain is responsible for magnifying the radicals is the last election. IN the process he revealed what he really thinks of the radical right. ............

Posted by: glclark4750 | May 14, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse