Michelle Obama's Favorite Food? Mexican

By DeNeen L. Brown
Don't get the first lady started on the joy of Mexican cooking.

Tortillas, moles, rice and beans, tamales and quesadillas -- yes, Michelle Obama loves Mexican food of all kinds, she told some D.C. school children today.

In fact, Mexican food may be her favorite food in the world, the first lady said.

Obama was responding to a question from a student during a Cinco de Mayo celebration at the Latin American Montessori Bilingual public charter school in Northwest Washington.

A woman stood and asked her she had ever "tried Mexican food? What type of...."

"Have I ever tried Mexican food?" Obama responded with a smile.

"Yes," said the woman. "What type?"

"Oh, let me tell you, Mexican food is my favorite food in the whole wide world. I think I'm on record."

The crowd laughed.

"Ooh, what do I love? I love -- Oh, I love tortillas. I love tamales."

More laughter.

"I love beans and rice. I love mole. I love all the mole sauces, I love beef and lamb and quesadillas. I mean, you name it. The question is, what don't I like?" said the former resident of Chicago, which is renowned for its Mexican restaurants.

Laughter.

"I like it all."

By Web Politics Editor  |  May 4, 2009; 4:20 PM ET
Categories:  The First Lady
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: At Cinco de Mayo Event, Prayers from First Lady for Swine Flu Sufferers
Next: Obama FEC Choice Draws Mixed Reviews

Comments

Oh no, will the GOP get hysterical over food choices again? First dijon now mexican; what will they do?

Posted by: nursehope | May 8, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

TexRancher-Sorry, but I have to correct you.

MOST, Illegals, are actually Honduran, Guatemalan, and Salvidoran!

They just WORK, for the Mexicans!

Then, Mostly doing Construction, Landscaping, Automotive, and services!

NOT Picking Frigging Fruit!

Posted by: SAINT---The | May 6, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Must everything be politics? Alot of people like Mexican food and 85 to 90% of homegrown latinos in the U.S. are Mexican-American! Wish we had been invited to that Cinco de Mayo celebration at the WH. Bueno, Fiesta por favor! Gabriel & Bonnie

Posted by: gabrielmrobles | May 5, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Although Mrs. Obama's native Chicago has a large Mexican American community, the families of many LAMB students probably hail from Cental America and the Caribbean.

Of course, May 5th is now an established US holiday -- for adults. See:

Posted by: MikeLicht | May 5, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Well let's see; Michelle likes Mexican food.

Barack wants amnesty for 20 million illegals mostly Mexican.

Barack hosts a Cinco De Mayo party at the White House celebrating a Mexican holiday.

Barack wants the North American Union which in effect destroys the sovereignty of the U.S.

Anybody see a pattern here?

Wonder what he plans for March 2nd?

Posted by: TexRancher | May 5, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I love our "First Lady." She is totally awesome!

Posted by: LindainNewOrleans | May 5, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Michelle & Barrack Rock!! Thanks for looking out for the middle man!!

Posted by: maryleeret | May 5, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Who cares what Michelle Obama likes? It is probably not true anyway and please we are tired of getting all this tidbit on Michelle Obama and her husband. He needs to fix the country and she needs to do her parenting job.

Posted by: vze3twzx | May 5, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Great transcription!

Say, any real reporters want to ask BHO or someone in his administration why they're scrutinizing visitors for the flu at the same time as they're letting hundreds or thousands of potential carriers enter illegally?

I'm sure the WaPo will be right on that. Oh yeah.

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | May 4, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Beef and Lamb?

LOL! :-D

A real Culinary Expert there!

Down here in Texas, where Tex-Mex RULES-as it does all over the World;

We tend to call that stuff Carne y Cabrito-Which BTW is "Goat"!

Want Lamb? Try England or India!

Then, GOOD Mexican food is Enchiladas, Guacamole, Tacos(All types), Fajitas, and then let's not overlook the Frijoles, Arroz, Papas y Pico de Gallo!

Pass the Chile con Queso por favor!

Mas Cervezas!

Oh, BTW:

Why do Mexicans re-fry their Beans? ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | May 4, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Our First Lady is definitely down-to-earth. I like her alot!

Posted by: Alex511 | May 4, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

She is fit, smart and charismatic. Unless her husband makes a major mistake, which
I do not think he would, she would be liked and even loved.

Posted by: aepelbaum | May 4, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse