Obama, Biden Go Out for Burgers

President Obama and Vice President Biden look at the menu while standing in line to order lunch at Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington. (Kevin Lamarque/Reuters)

The Associated Press' Ben Feller reports:

It's like this: When you want a burger, you have to have a burger.

In this state of mind, President Obama and Vice President Biden took a short -- but wholly noticeable -- motorcade ride from the White House to Virginia and pulled into a small, independent burger joint called Ray's Hell Burger.

The two leaders went right up to the counter where the meat was being grilled and ordered.

Each fetched cash from his pocket and paid, and then the pair stood like the rest and waited for their number to be called before going to a table.

The restaurant, which prides itself on premium aged 10-ounce burgers, sits in a small strip plaza. The burgers sell for $6.95.

President Obama and Vice President Biden are served cheeseburgers at Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington. (Roger L. Wollenberg-Pool/ Getty Images)

Click here for video of Obama and Biden's surprise appearance.

By Web Politics Editor  |  May 5, 2009; 1:11 PM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Washington Life
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Fills CPSC Posts
Next: The Promise and Peril of a Congressional Majority

Comments

CapitolHill1, you must hate yourself because you sure are ignorant.

Instead of inconveniencing all sorts of people, Obama could have had a staffer pick up burgers. Getting a burger had little to do with this scene; it was about creating a photo op.

But don't worry, I got his message loud and clear: I don't care about people, I care about my image.

Posted by: bug45 | May 5, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I just have to say that this story, and the associated video, brought a smile to my face.

There's no deep meaning.

This is the guy I voted for. And frankly, the longer he hangs around, the more I like him.

By the way, has anyone considered the possibility that this was "Biden being taken to the woodshed" for his flu remarks? I mean, they didn't eat dem burgers in an open field.

Obama is the politically smartest president we've had since FDR. Enjoy him.

Posted by: douglaslbarber | May 5, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I think this is great! Good for Obama and Biden. It's the right thing to do, to get out and mix with real people in the real world once in a while. Being closeted inside the White House (ivory tower) must get a bit claustrophobic.

I really appreciate this gesture by this president and vice. Can you imagine Cheney ever doing this????

Posted by: francinelast | May 5, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

As you may be aware, the “Secret of the Rosary Films” is offering a one million dollar reward for the certified long-form birth certificate of Barack Obama. He could easily pay back the U.S. Treasury for this latest trip for burgers AND the New York City terror "fly-by" with Air Force One.

Posted by: JakeD | May 5, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

At least they allowed photos to be released of this trip (unlike the Air Force One fly-by over NYC ; )

Posted by: JakeD | May 5, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

What? The President and Vice-President, of all people, should know that taking an "extra-large motorcade" (as reported by pool reporters) to buy a few cheese burgers really chocks on those greenhouse emissions.

But I'm sure that "extra-large motorcade" cost the taxpayers far less than the low-altitude Air Force One flight over New York.

It is really a good thing that they set such a great example for the rest of us (but Bill Gates and I understand your burger obsession).

Posted by: SoquelbytheCreek | May 5, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Andrews4:

I appreciated reading the comments!

Posted by: JakeD | May 5, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

CapitolHill1:

That doesn't address why a staffer could not have gotten the burgers (or why the White House chef can't cook the exact same thing).

Posted by: JakeD | May 5, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Another excellent example of why the comment feature on this site should be discontinued.

Posted by: Andrews4 | May 5, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

my post scrutineized by the lib enablers of O. Dear leader has good party men.

Posted by: 65apr | May 5, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I bet they ate their burger and fries with a fork and knife.

Posted by: hailtopher | May 5, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow a lot of ignorant comments here. Obviously a lot of people don't understand what a photo op is for one, or how POTUS schedule works, or how the pool is required to cover anything POTUS does just in case something that might actually be news does happen.

This stop was not on POTUS schedule and there really isn't anything to be gained by having a pic taken eating a burger (i.e. not a photo op). If you spent all day in the bubble that is the White House you might want to just get off campus and get a burger like a regular person once in a while.

The travel pool is required to cover POTUS just in case real news does happen. This story isn't exactly the lead on all the nightly news reports or the headline on all of the newspapers tomorrow.

I hate ignorant people. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you don't know what you're talking about than keep it to yourself.

Posted by: CapitolHill1 | May 5, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Please, please, not while I am eating! Looking at that skinny limp-wrist eat is disgusting! Less is more!

Posted by: crowne2 | May 5, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Its news because its in VIRGINIA, the WAPO serves the DC metro you flyover trolls...

I'll remember to poop twice next time I am jetting to SF for a Gay marriage.

Posted by: jcck | May 5, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

The DC Mister Days was my favorite place for a great burger, but the Clarendon Mister Days has good ones too, especially on Tuesdays when they are half price!

Posted by: Junnie | May 5, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

A 'normal' person who was considerate of others would have a staffer pick up a burger instead of organizing a photo op with full entourage.

Posted by: bug45 | May 5, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Well,at least for the moment, he was putting something other than his foot in his mouth...

Posted by: no2walker | May 5, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, I am a fan of Five Guys but Ray's is pretty darned good too.

My one observagtion, Man, does Biden look old.

Posted by: dbeins | May 5, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Why don't you stop drinking the Koolaid?

Posted by: no2walker | May 5, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh, just let them be! Stop hating!

Posted by: shirlbone | May 5, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Does it get any phonier than this?.."slobber, slobber, slobber..."..the MSM "journalists"..

Posted by: no2walker | May 5, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

That's pretty cool!

The main downside is that it'll increase crowd-sizes in the near-term. Hopefully this serves as a prod to franchise.

Posted by: JPRS | May 5, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Was thinking about going there last night, ended up going to Washington Blvd Rocklands. Guess I'll need to wait a couple months (usually go there only once every couple months anyway) for the hubbub to die down.

I like 5 guys, but it's no Ray's Hellburger. Whitlow's might be comparable though, at least they used to do a medium rare, rare burger. If you want burger only for the burger, Ray's. If you want traditional burger, fries, beer and really good cole slaw Whitlow's. However, 5-guys fries are the best. (I really go for the fries there complemented by the burger, not the other way around)

Look, I know it was a photo-op but it'd be nice to not get into partisan bickering on everything in the WaPo. At that goes for the nasty Bush Cheney comments to. I'm going to guess Obama and Biden are jonesing for a burger today.

Posted by: jhtlag1 | May 5, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

A big tactical error going with white shirts at RHB!!

Posted by: robrice311 | May 5, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

It is news because rubbing elbows with your constituents keeps you in touch. You get to use money, stand in line and talk to us. Then you will know that price scanners aren't new inventions.

Posted by: rcvinson64 | May 5, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

If Joe the Biden has a mouthful of food he can’t say anything to embarrass the administration. Good strategy Mr. President!

Posted by: dcn1 | May 5, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but why is this news? Is there really nothing going on anywhere else in the world, that a president's jonesing for a burger got this much attention? Or is left-leaning print news just kissing up some more?

Posted by: joemcascio | May 5, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

What? Biden in a confined space with no surgical mask? This must have been more of a trip to the woodshed than a burger run.

P. S. to thegreatpotatofungusof2003,

PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals.

:-)

Posted by: hisroc | May 5, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Best tex-mex in Arlington? Santa Fe Cafe, in Rosslyn. Lunch is good, dinner is the bomb! Great specials. They also do weekday breakfast.

Posted by: biggirl90 | May 5, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

5 Guys is good, but Ray's HB is a whole level above that. As for the political debate, what is more American than a hamburger?

Posted by: BoltV | May 5, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

overed wrote: "If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made of meat?"

sdecker said: "Very few things make me laugh out loud. That did!"

Me too.

Posted by: rlj611 | May 5, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

This is a great documentary, even though it could be misused and abused. Still, I wish I could send it to the millions of my fellow people in the Arab and Muslim world. Where is the email button here?

Posted by: amaghraoui | May 5, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Yet last year, Murtech received $4 million in Pentagon work, all of it without competition, for a variety of warehousing and engineering services. With its long corridor of sparsely occupied offices and an unmanned reception area, Murtech's most striking feature is its owner -- Robert C. Murtha Jr., 49. He is the nephew of Rep. John P. Murtha, the Pennsylvania Democrat who has significant sway over the Defense Department's spending as chairman of the House Appropriations defense subcommittee.

Posted by: hclark1 | May 5, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Good point, z!

He DEFINITELY won't like the pizza or turkey grinders from Faccia Luna. Don't bother. Stay away!

Posted by: markczar1 | May 5, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Great to see these two out together taking a break. Its well deserved! Whether they are doing it over burgers or T-boned steaks it doesn't matter.

They appear relaxed not mean spirited or unfriendly. Great example!! "All work and no play, makes Jack and Joe dull boys"!

Posted by: Victoria5 | May 5, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh ha ha, Obama asked for Dijon mustard on his burger. I'm suprised he didn't ask for arugula!

Posted by: douglaslbarber | May 5, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

PINK'S Hot Dogs...on La Brea.

Posted by: iamasofaking | May 5, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Why is this in the news?

Posted by: Archie_Leach | May 5, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Obama is ruining my life by popularizing many of my favorite neighborhood places to eat! Obama, if you are reading this, you will not like the gourmet subs at the Italian Store in Arlington. ;) Can I come over for dinner sometime?

Posted by: zorbitearth | May 5, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey, can you picture Bush and Cheney going to lunch at Ray's Hellburger? Bush wouldn't be able to read the menu, and Cheney would try to shoot the steer first. These are real people living in the real world, not right-wing stuffed f$#King shirts. How completely refreshing is that!

Posted by: Doowadiddy | May 5, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Obama-Biden Lunch --- FAIL!!! Ray's? Are you kidding? They just lost all my respect.

SHOULD HAVE GONE TO FIVE GUYS.

Posted by: tracker2 | May 5, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't there an option to share this on Facebook?

I only see options for Technorati, Del.icio.us, and Digg.

Posted by: cvillega | May 5, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Are 2 guys eating greasy burgers and fries together more or less dangerous than them flying together?

Posted by: dewiker | May 5, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Was that Gulden's Mustard I saw next to the Yellow Peril? Though I prefer steak sauce on my burgers it's good to know Ray's customers have the benefit of real mustard.

Posted by: landlaw | May 5, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Ray's are the zipless f&!# of hamburgers: try one with bone marrow on top, it's like eating the very best part of a t-bone, except no bones and no need for a steak knife. Unreal.

I hear the love for 5 Guys: for those who like them better than Ray's, you should try Good Stuff on PA Ave SE.

Nice to see the Prez getting around town and being a part of the community.

Posted by: dpc2003 | May 5, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

OMG! Just think what Rush, Glenn Beck, the Christian Right, Hitler Hannity (HH) and the rest of the right wing are going to say about Our President and VP stopping to have a burger. They are going to tell American people not to eat burgers anymore.

Posted by: erq1955 | May 5, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Are Ray's any tastier than one from Crystal City sports bar, Clarendon Grill, Whitlow's or any irish pub? (Those are all pretty reliable burgers.)

Posted by: markczar1 | May 5, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect.

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | May 5, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

nowanna1 wrote: Two prigs trying ...yada, yada
**************************
hey twit, STFD & STFU

Posted by: overed | May 5, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm partial to the burgers and the apple pie at The Apple Pan, on Pico in West Los Angeles. BTW CASH only no credit cards.

For steaks, The Steak Pit, on Melrose Ave., in Los Angeles.

=================================

To be fair, Ray's doesn't need the advertising. They get more buisness then they can handle already. They don't even have a sign out front!

I still think Five Guys has the better burger however.

Posted by: ImpeachObama | May 5, 2009 4:03 PM

Posted by: Computer_Forensics_Expert_Computer_Expert_Witness | May 5, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Good for him. Great burger. Also, Ray has been out front in condemning anti-immigrant sentiment. So he's politically safe. I hope Ray gets even more business. Matter of fact, I think I'll run by myself.

Posted by: gbooksdc | May 5, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Too bad they didn't go to OLLIE'S TROLLEYS instead.....they even could've WALKED there. It's right around the corner from thw W/H. That would promote exercise and saving GAS MILEAGE.

Posted by: iamasofaking | May 5, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Everyone (liberal, conservative, vegetarian, carnivore): LIGHTEN THE "F" UP!!!! The guys went out for a damn burger for crying out loud. It's not an international incident. The press follows them whereever they go; thus we have stories like this. That does not mean you have to read anything into it.

Posted by: dustinblythe | May 5, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Two prigs trying to look normal, wonder what happened in the back seat on the way to and frow

Posted by: nowanna1 | May 5, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Did President Obama have a smoke afterward?

Was this supposed to assuage Biden after getting a talking to by Obama re: swine flu comments on TODAY?

Posted by: etronsen | May 5, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I do not understand the "Five Guys is better" stance. I think Five Guys is a great burger qua fast food burger. I think Ray's is a great burger qua burger. Five Guys is good, but they're not in the same league as Ray's.

Posted by: synk | May 5, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit that I'm a pesco-vegan 99% of the time, but Ray's is definitely the best burger I've ever had and I will break my diet for these burgers. Sooooooo good. The worst part is they are located a 60-second walk away from my apartment so I have to resist my temptations.

Posted by: futureboy | May 5, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Ultra lean ground beef makes for the WORST hamburgers. Use 80%, the fat is your buddy!

Posted by: keithrjackson | May 5, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

And for the 'oh don't eat meat crowd' - it is perfectly healthy to eat lean meat or hamburger once a week -- especially as it is quite obvious that both of them work out on regular basis! get over it.

----

I don't eat meat, for instance, because I find it reprehensible.

But, given one must come to that conclusion oneself, I never try to force my views on another, it's unsophisticated, and not my place.

ROTFLMAO

And I'm serious about the meat issue, btw, for people with heart damage, it really pays to look at dietary habits.

It isn't easy, but sometimes you have to do what is difficult.

My father tried to stop his meat, his fat intake, coulndn't do it, same with a smoking habit -- he stopped, for the most part, but fell back on it when times were stressful.

I couldn't fault him, but I didn't want end up a slave to a habit. : )

If I'm cooking for meat-eaters, though, and I do, I always go with the best quality, the leanest, and always go with what will cause the least heart damamge.

Sometimes they wanna steak, and that's OK, it's comfort.

But you wanna eat meat -- eat until your flatline, use more salt, even -- I won't stop you.

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 | May 5, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I still think Five Guys has the better burger however.

Posted by: ImpeachObama | May 5, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Very few things make me laugh out loud. That did!

Posted by: sdecker | May 5, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Only if PETA shuts up and stops bloviating carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and bringing pigs to the Capitol to emit methane into the sky!

Yeagh!

Caught one!

I swear, it ALWAYS works, ALWAYS.

ROTFLMAO

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 | May 5, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Yes - it is pretty frigging cool!! More of this 'ordinary man' type things than jetting around wearing $500 sneaks is what America needs to see.

Posted by: kec132 | May 5, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it is an offshoot of Rays the Steaks. It is next to Rays the Steaks old location. Rays the Steaks has moved up the hill.

Posted by: jiminarlington | May 5, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

__________________

Yeagh!

Posted by: bs2004 | May 5, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it's an offshoot of Ray's The Steaks. There is also supposed to be another one somewhere called Ray's The Catch but I don't think it's in the same shopping center.

Posted by: deacshades | May 5, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

For the posts wondering about the tip, Christian Science Monitor has it as $5. Not bad on a burger that cost $7.

Anyway, Ray's is getting a lot of good press lately. Heard the owner on NPR the other day talking about local restaurants. Unfortunately, that will mean longer lines for those of us that already knew about it, but it's still very much worth the wait. If they still have them, you should try to get the corn or the watermelon with your burger. Amazing!

Posted by: deacshades | May 5, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

thegreatpotatospamof2003 wrote:
Hm. Meat is murder. Go veggie.
************************************

If we're not supposed to eat animals howcome they're made of meat?

Posted by: overed | May 5, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Is that an offshoot of Ray's the Steaks? Excellent steakhouse.

Posted by: Clio1 | May 5, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I guess I won't be going to Ray's for a while. That place is going to be PACKED!

How lame do you have to be to make something political out of POTUS and VPOTUS going out for a burger?

Posted by: lawrencecurran | May 5, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Ray's is awesome! We were just there a few weeks ago.

Posted by: andrewgerst@hotmail.com | May 5, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

To paraphrase Freud, "Sometimes a burger is just a burger."

Posted by: bmessina | May 5, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

greatpotatospam,

My grandfather ate meat every day and live to 84, his father the same lived till he was 93, his mother the same she lived to be 99. So go spread your vegan ways somewhere else. Jeez............

Posted by: rharring | May 5, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Did the Secret Service supervise the cooks?

Posted by: PGirl | May 5, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

This is disgraceful. The most effective ways to fight global warming is to go vegetarian---------
I was thinking of their hearts, too.

At their age, arteries clog, and the less meat, the better (though you are right about global warming).

Less meat, (and more garlic -- crush it 30 minutes before cooking) is healthier for men their age, particularly with the stress they're under.

They can do wonderful things with tofu these days...

My father had to struggle with heart problems starting at age 40, he died fairly young, I hate to see most anyone have to go through that trauma (though there are a few I'd just let fall, not even call an ambulance for...)

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 | May 5, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Computer forensics,

You must be in the minority then, Every GOPer i know got their money from daddy. And the only people the GOP tip big is oil companies. This was a burger joint not Exxon/Mobil

Posted by: rharring | May 5, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

*shrug* Of course it's a photo-op. Show me a POTUS and VPOTUS who don't engage in them. Doesn't mean that a local business isn't going to get a boost because of it. Or that the photo-ops are a little more relevant to most people than staged somewhere in a hotel or the WH campus. Love him, hate him or somewhere in between (I'm in between), you can't deny the man is excellent at cultivating the public.

In the short time he's been in office, President Obama and Mrs. Obama have actually reached out to the DC community. More I can say for GWB, GHWB or the Clintons. Can't say I'm complaining too much.

Remember our current President is someone who likes to build community. This would be part of that practice.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 5, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Love Ray's!!

Posted by: torrey151 | May 5, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

What, no Waygu beef? Okay, how much did he tip the server and burger flipper?

We Republicans are better tippers. Why? We used to wait tables when working our way through college and recognize GREAT service.

Posted by: Computer_Forensics_Expert_Computer_Expert_Witness | May 5, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Our national leaders ought to try Five Guys next to get their hamburger fix.

Posted by: jwcross | May 5, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

nigel -- lol, I was thinking the same thing myself. I'm a Democrat, but wouldn't want Pelosi as president!

Posted by: jycnyc | May 5, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

All you Republicans that are still hating; get over it, the men are working harder to fix the crap your old boy left us. He's enjoying his $100million he helped his buddies get while the rest us got broke further...now that's patriotic!

Posted by: mbangour78 | May 5, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I went to Fazoli's yesterday. I paid with my debit card and didn't have to wait in line. I got the sampler plate because I was soooo hungry for pasta. Love the free and plentiful bread sticks.

Posted by: candyzky | May 5, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Good to see hard workers take a break sometimes. I'm about to take a break and get a coke and a bag of Funyuns.

Posted by: vadiva30 | May 5, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I think they're trying...

I don't think they're doing everything right but they're supporting a lot of people/families while they're at it: SS and media to name two.

Posted by: elizabeth_boston | May 5, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Good Mexican: Try Uncle Julio's (Fairfax Dr. Arlington) or Guajillo's - Wilson Blvd... As good as any I'v found on this (wrong) side of the Red River..

Posted by: mini1071 | May 5, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Man these are good burgers.

Wait, when did Ray's get lunch hours other than Friday???

Posted by: Corn_Laden | May 5, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

This is disgraceful. The most effective ways to fight global warming is to go vegetarian. I guess when Obama talks about global warming, that's what it is.....all talk

Posted by: paulieontheroad | May 5, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Hm.

Meat is murder.

Go veggie.

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 | May 5, 2009 2:56 PM

---

It may be murder, but it's so goddamn tasty!

Posted by: thornwalker1 | May 5, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Very cool that they don't cloister themselves away. But I wish they didn't go there together. If something were to happen to them--God forbid--we'd end up with that wacko Nancy Pelosi installed as President.

Posted by: nigel321 | May 5, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

From Washingtonpost.com - "We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features."
OK, Folks - why is this "news" worth reading?

Posted by: kondrek | May 5, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Hm.

Meat is murder.

Go veggie.

Posted by: thegreatpotatospamof2003 | May 5, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

and their burgers are named after overweight rappers: Fat Joe, Biggie, Big Pun, Oprah. nice touch.

Posted by: millionea7 | May 5, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

are you serious?

how can you NOT find good mexican?

Atza good burger.

Fries are best at Five Guys, though.

But I still say you can't get a decent BBQ in this freaking metropolis. And the Mexican sucks.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 5, 2009 2:46 PM

Posted by: nall92 | May 5, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Last week it was the Republicans at Pie-tanza on Lee Hwy, this week it's the Dems at Ray's Hell Burger. Arlington restaurants rock, although they always seem to get short shrift in the Washingtonian. I wonder if the Republicans had to fight off the horde of toddlers and families that are usually at Pie-tanza (of which my toddlers and wife and I are often one).

Posted by: crs2 | May 5, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, they are real regular guys all right. Eating burgers like the rest of us. Yeah, I feel like you are really in touch with me and my family's needs. Gee and they actually waited in line like everybody else! OMG!

Please. Nice photo-op. The Obama lovers will coo and ahh. The rest of us will yawn.

Posted by: MikeL4 | May 5, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Who cares. I still like Bush and to you Bush-haters I say grow up.

Posted by: steven7753 | May 5, 2009 2:40 PM
---

What's that noise? Must be the Waaaahmbulance!

Posted by: thornwalker1 | May 5, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Awesome! Rays is a great place! Best burger anywhere, and cheap. Hopefully this decision to eat at Rays will be a metaphor for even better decisions to come.

Posted by: 123cartoon | May 5, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Atza good burger.

Fries are best at Five Guys, though.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 5, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

So is Ray's considered an enclosed space?

It looks like they are still trying to recover from his statements on the Today Show.

Joe

Posted by: JoeSmith3 | May 5, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Who cares. I still like Bush and to you Bush-haters I say grow up.

Posted by: steven7753 | May 5, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Very cool! Great burgers too!

Posted by: LABC | May 5, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Wonder how long it will take the rightwingnuts to read something into the name of the joint. Bet Glenn Beck will be all over it tonight. Yet more evidence that Obama is the antichrist ...

Posted by: stantheman1 | May 5, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Haha, whether it was intended or not, a great comeback to the pizzas that GOP leaders ordered at Arlington last weekend.

Posted by: TalkingHead1 | May 5, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Next stop, Bob & Edith's!

Posted by: greenmountainboy | May 5, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Man, now the line going into Ray's Hell Burgers will be around the block. I'd still wait though 'cause the burgers are freakin' awesome.

Posted by: rmarsha1 | May 5, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

ROFL@how that asian cat is looking at Obama and Biden! Dude is like: "Doggonnit! I voted Republican!" ahahaha!

Posted by: cbmuzik | May 5, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

You gotta love them.

The last bunch shot friends in the face, couldn't speak a complete sentence, left us with incomplete thoughts, gave the finger to the press (see Youtube), and disregarded the Constitution. And that's only for starters.

Posted by: jato1 | May 5, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

PICTURES WE NEED PICTURES

Posted by: arleneivana | May 5, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Good choice guys! Ray's Hell Burger is Delicious!

Posted by: erobw | May 5, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Pretty friggin cool!

Posted by: rodpardeylv | May 5, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

A couple of regular guys. I kind of wish the SS would butt out of it, though.

Posted by: bs2004 | May 5, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse