The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Supreme Court

Sotomayor's Senate Questionnaire Released

Updated 3:21 p.m.
By Michael D. Shear
The White House delivered a completed questionnaire about Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the Senate Judiciary Committee today, providing her formal answers to questions that will serve as the beginning of the confirmation process.

The questionnaire was accompanied by support documents, including many of Sotomayor's speeches, which will be put online by the committee. The questionnaire itself can be read online here.

White House officials said their delivery of the documents to the committee -- nine days after Sotomayor's nomination was announced -- was the swiftest ever. One official noted that it took the Bush White House 16 days to turn in the questionnaire for Chief Justice John
Roberts and 30 days for Associate Justice Samuel Alito.

Posted at 12:13 PM ET on Jun 4, 2009  | Category:  Supreme Court
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: After 'Sweeping' Speech in Cairo, Reactions All Over the Map | Next: Reaction in America Enthusiastic, With Caveats

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Sotomayor is an outrageously highly controversial pick for the Supreme Court. She wears racism on her sleeve as a badge of honor. It is not pretty to see and it is not acceptable. Such displays or utterances as we have seen in SM's bio are un-American and un-patriotic and signal a great danger to the country if such a mindset ever reaches the Supreme Court. First Obama picks a string of tax cheats (great "change" there!) then he starts picking La Raza members for important White House advisory positions (heaven help us) and now a La Raza member for the Supreme Court. Not only is Sotomayor on the surface a terrible pick, that the president is kowtowing to those of the La Raza's narrow and racist ilk is MOST unsettling. Sotomayor must go now, she is the WRONG choice, and if she does go not then Obama will have to in 4 years. If Obama really believes La Raza, a racist group if ever there was one, members have any place in the power structure of the country he is being horribly misguided (probably by La Raza advisors!). If this continues the president must be voted out in 2012. No further discussion required.

Posted by: krw929 | June 11, 2009 7:57 AM

Sonia's Latina woman vs White male conclusion is easy to overturn. Many countries where wise Latinos run the whole enchilada and no white males to ignernt it up. Poverty rates:Ecuador=43, Belize=33,Bolivia=50,Colombia=49,El Salvador=36,Guatemala=56,Honduras=50,Panama=29,Peru=39,(pre nafta)Mexico=50(after white man trade agreement,nafta)Mexico=20. These places are the most unequal on earth. In Latin countries 25% of ALL people live on $2/day or less!
In countries that the ignernt "white male" lacking in rich experiences has set up the government and runs it the poverty rates: Sweeden=14,Norway=12,Netherlands=11,Finland=12,Denmark=17.4,Germany=11,Switerland=11,Canada=11,France=6,Belgium=15,Australia=6,U.K.=14,U.S.A.=12,Ireland=7. Those darned white males, always letting the facts get in the way of decision making. I voted for Obama, Kerry, Gore, Clintonx2,etc...I support the ACLU. I am sick of letting people throw white males under the bus without a peep except from the extreme right. This should be offensive to all the people suffering in Latin America at the hands of other "wise" Latinos and Latinas. Don't ask me why Latin countries are so unequal compared to "white" countries but I'm sure that it's not the lack of richness in experiences or of living the life.

Posted by: Reprobate | June 6, 2009 1:47 PM

We are who we are because God made us. For the agnostic and atheist, we are who we are because of your Mom and Dad. Everyone needs to quit starching their underwear because you are causing self inflicted irritation.

I say be who you are because that is what God willed for you when he created you. If you are a white person, be the best white person you can be. If you are a black person, be the best person you can be. If you are a purple person, be the best purple person you can be, etc. The point is, be the best person you can be regardless of your color because this is Gods plan for you.

This is not to be interpreted as putting down another person because of their race or culture in order to gain superiority over that person. That is cowardly and ignorant. No, just enjoy the benefits of your culture and share these benefits with others.

I’m a descendant with Mexican, Irish, and Basque nationality and when I was young their was a motto: Viva la Raza (Long live my race or Long live the race). Sounded good to me, I’m into living a long life. Does it make me a racist? I think not, but then again I wish good will to everyone, even those purple people.

Note: Sotomayor is Puerto Rican (Malato: European and African blood) and Mexicans are Mestizo (European and Native American blood). Hispanic is a term of convenience used by the government. Mexicans and Puerto Ricans generally rub each other wrong and don’t ask me why, but will support each other if confronted with an injustice.

Posted by: rajasso | June 5, 2009 1:05 AM

I find it quite ironic that the people calling for Sotomayor to be give a "fair hearing" are the same ilk that invented the concept of "borking" a high court nominee. The left loves to dish it out, but cries foul when the tables are turned.

Her thesis is the magnum opus of her educational career. It should be carefully considered as a part of the body of work reviewed during her confirmation hearings.

Note that in the document, she persists in referring to the United States Congress as the "North American Congress", apparently a term of derision that Puerto Rican nationalists used at the time. I'll wager that when she wrote those mocking words, she never foresaw a day when the "North American Senate" would hold her fate in its hands. It would be somehow fitting if those words sunk her hopes for the high court

Posted by: CarlosHawes | June 4, 2009 7:52 PM

"La Raza - "THE Race" " -Utahreb

You cannot point to the "La" in La Raza and infer a statement of superiority. Articles like la and el are almost universally used in Spanish when referring to nouns.

If I was feeling pain and you asked me where and my response was "en la boca" I would not be saying that my mouth was better than yours.

Keep preaching hate, celebrating ignorance, and parroting opinions that are not of your own making. That is one way to perpetuate race problems.

As to diversity and multi-culturalism, in my experience whites aren't unable to understand, they choose not to because they interpret the message to be a personal attack on them--one that calls them bad people and immoral. I don't understand it to mean that at all. In my opinion we are ALL racist in some form or another and that doesn't make us bad. We should be trying to come to terms wit our racist tendencies and guarding against them, but instead, most of us get defensive and say, "I'm not doing anything wrong."

Posted by: boilslaw | June 4, 2009 5:53 PM

We need to know why her husband threw this 300 pounder out of the house.

I want answers!

Posted by: MrPotatoHead98 | June 4, 2009 4:48 PM

Send this 300 pound Pineapple packin, she hates America. read her THESIS!! She's a RACIST!

Chevy

Posted by: MrPotatoHead98 | June 4, 2009 4:44 PM

Make no mistake, this woman is a racist and a bigot. Just read her thesis where she slams America. Her parents came to America to give her better opportunity and she repays them by joining the Piineapple Nationalist party which denigraded America.

Send this bigoted Pineapple to to her mother land.

She's not fit to be a jurist let alone serve America's highest court

Chevy

Posted by: MrPotatoHead98 | June 4, 2009 4:40 PM

However, if I said I could make better decisions than a Latina I would have a guard watching me carefully as I cleaned out my desk.
___
This statement is sooooooo taken out of context. Sotomayor is about as racist as the tooth fairy. You all sound like a group of people who have been proven wrong so many times that you will grasp on to any little string that dangles your way thinking, "Maybe this will be the one to unravel the sweater." Too bad it's all just fluff. Enjoy.

Posted by: Grant_x | June 4, 2009 4:25 PM

There is an obvious controversy over Sotomayor's statement, that her heritage maybe at times beneficial in her decision making. Many Republicans call it racism but is this a good move? When we hear "racism", we automatically think slavery, discrimination, KKK, Neo-Nazis, etc, which represent all things that Judge Sotomayor is not.
Even though that her statment could be perceived as racist, I believe that calling it prejudicial, bias or racially motivated would generate much less resentment and it would encourage people to look into this issue and maybe even question her nomination instead of dismissing it as "another GOP whine"

Posted by: jmk55 | June 4, 2009 4:05 PM

La Raza - "THE Race" - if ever there were a racist group, this is one. Sotomayor should be questioned as to her stand on the programs promoted by La Raza and its beliefs regarding the supposed "rights" of illegals.

Posted by: Utahreb | June 4, 2009 1:43 PM
*************************

I seriously doubt you'll hear any Senator ask this question. You know why? None of them are foolish enough. Is there no end to the gullibility of the 20% crowd? La Raza is a mainstream organization. It endorsed AG Gonzales under President Bush.

My goodness!

Posted by: abqcleve | June 4, 2009 3:54 PM

The goal of diversity and multiculturalism is not to exclude white people; rather, it is to ensure that non-whites are not excluded anymore. (Obviously, it is more than just white vs. non-white, but these terms serve as convenient proxies for establishment vs. disenfranchised / marginalized.)

How is it that the US Supreme Court has one woman, one black person, no latinos or latinas, etc.? How is it that there have been only 3 black senators since reconstruction? No matter where you look - business, politics, law, etc. - every group other than white christian males is woefully underrepresented.

Society should be reconstructed so that institutions more properly reflect the diversity of the population. It is patently obvious that there continues to be a massive unfairness for anyone who is not a white christian male. But far from being a "punishment" of white christian males for past transgressions, such a reconstruction is instead a "righting" of a continuing state of wrong.

In any event, the people whining about the push for diversity and multiculturalism are on the wrong side of history. People said the same things about the Irish, and the catholics, and every other "new" group to arrive in the US.

Posted by: Impartialobserver | June 4, 2009 3:03 PM

"

Will there be questions regarding her membership on the national committee for La Raza, a group that forcefully promotes amnesty for illegal aliens? If not, why not?

Posted by: Utahreb | June 4, 2009 1:43 PM
"

--------------------------------->

If there ever was a racist group? Tell me, how many lynchings have they performed? How many people of other ethnicity have they dragged behind a truck to invoke terror in the population?

No, seriously, that's ridiculous. Lets talk about La Raza, the term stems from a book entitled "La raza cósmica". Here's a good summary of what that means:

****************
The phrase, "La raza cósmica", in English "the cosmic race", embodies the notion that traditional, exclusive concepts of race and nationality can be transcended in the name of humanity's common destiny."
****************

Wow, that sounds anti-racist or anti-race, the idea of one common people. I'm so tired of completely unfounded accusations making their way into the mainstream largely because journalists fail to do their jobs and do some research.

Posted by: tweldy | June 4, 2009 1:58 PM

"

If you analyze the diversity (multi-culturalism) movement, you'll encounter things such as "white priveledge" and comments like "white people will never understand."

From the classroom to corporate America, multiculturalism excludes whites with the explanation that for the longest time white European culture has been dominate. The goal of multiculturalism is complete social reconstruction (this is stated in the literature). One must be aware that in order for society to be re-constructed it must first be de-constructed.

This is not paranoia.

Posted by: arizonahoss | June 4, 2009 1:15 PM
"

----------------------->

I'm sure that there are some elements of 'multiculturalism' (for some definition thereof) that have presented such arguments. I think characterizing the whole movement because some of its adherents have some sort of revenge is a fallacious approach. Typifying the group by some behaviors of individuals within that group is not logical.

When I encountered multiculturalism in school it was entirely academic. One must ask questions fearlessly to make a proper case. I eagerly invite an adherent of this multiculturalism approach to argue that subversion of the dominant culture is required to celebrate the cultures of minorities. This is an exceedingly simple argument to defeat. I would bring up the early 19th century melting pot metaphor and give examples of how a uniquely American culture has absorbed many traditions and cultural beliefs of its immigrants and

I do not see multiculturalism as a movement in America, somehow dominating the workplace and overthrowing an existing paradigm. I see some degree of sensitivity to minority ethic belief systems, but I also see no harm in that. I see a lot of anger in people who feel that they have been wronged, but I find that with patience and reason, rarely are our differences irreconcilable.

Posted by: tweldy | June 4, 2009 1:52 PM

It is sooo amusing to watch the Republican Party self-destructing over this... In one fell swoop, the GOP is losing women, the latin community, and the few remaining moderates left in the party. Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Cheney et al. are destroying the party even more than Obama was able to manage...

No one (other than hard core neo-cons and jesus freaks) takes anything seriously anymore when it comes from the 'right'. Pretty soon the only GOPers left will be the delusional jesus nuts. I love it!

Posted by: Impartialobserver | June 4, 2009 1:51 PM

Posted by: Utahreb | June 4, 2009 1:43 PM

This is not paranoia.

Posted by: arizonahoss | June 4, 2009 1:15 PM

Diversity = racism against whites.

----------------------------------->

Paranoia
–noun
1. Psychiatry. a mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission.

2. baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others.

Posted by: tweldy | June 4, 2009 1:08 PM

Newt is a politician...so to him Sotomayor is quickly becoming just sort of a "racist".

Diversity = racism against whites.

Posted by: anderson2 | June 4, 2009 1:01 PM