The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Cast of Characters

No Formal Jackson Statement from Obama

Updated 3:39 p.m.
By Michael D. Shear
It took just hours earlier this month for President Obama to express his sadness to the people of Gabon on the sudden death of notorious dictator President El Hadj Omar Bongo Ondimba of Gabon.

"His work in conservation in his country and his commitment to conflict resolution across the continent are an important part of his legacy and will be remembered with respect," Obama said. "On behalf of the United States government, I offer my condolences to his family and to the people of Gabon."

But for the latest monarch to pass -- the King of Pop -- nearly a day passed by before the White House weighed in.

President Obama has issued no formal comment on Michael Jackson's sudden death, which has sparked worldwide expressions of grief and surprise from the ardent fans of one of music's legendary black performers. But press secretary Robert Gibbs said at today's press briefing that he's talked with the president about him.

"He said to me that, obviously, Michael Jackson was a spectacular performer, a music icon," Gibbs reported the president saying. "I think everybody remembers hearing his songs, watching -- watching him moon walk on television during Motown's 25th anniversary.

"I think -- but the president also said, you know, look, he had a -- aspects of his life were sad and tragic. His condolences went out to the Jackson family and to fans that mourned his loss," Gibbs continued.

Obama sent his condolences to the Jackson family, Gibbs said, though he may not have called them personally.

Asked about the lack of a formal statement from the president, a White House aide was dismissive, saying that the were many other things going on today.

Posted at 1:38 PM ET on Jun 26, 2009  | Category:  Cast of Characters
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Davis: 'Probably Not' on Cyber Czar Post | Next: Lynn Rosenthal Named White House Adviser on Violence Against Women

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

JakeD - Congratulations on the "independent" web search you performed, that obsessive compulsive act to prove a petty nonsensical point is completely separate from the propoganda regurgitation you are also so fond of.

Posted by: gregp1 | June 30, 2009 11:19 PM

gregp1:

I have "admitted" my party affiliation several times on these threads. I am a member of the American Independent Party. Unfortunately, there have not been "open primaries" here in California that long and the Supreme Court overturned Prop. 198 before that -- I would gladly vote for pro-life Democrats -- also, looking up which Hollywood celebrity deaths JFK and LBJ (DEMOCRATS) issued formal statements on was MY IDEA alone, not part of any Republican talking point, spoon-fed propoganda, etc. Next question?

Posted by: JakeD | June 30, 2009 7:54 PM

JakeD: You simply don't have the guts to admit your party affiliation. You hide behindf the "independent" label, but you are 100% DEPENDENT on falsehoods and propoganda spoon fed to you by manipulative GOP strategists. To prove me wrong please share with all of us the name of just ONE democrat you actually voted for in a presidential primary.

Posted by: gregp1 | June 29, 2009 1:20 PM

JakeD - I see you did a websearch on all the prior presidents and are now spewing ridiculous facts about them. Thank you for proving once again that you are just a petty and compulsive fanatic, with no credibility.

Posted by: gregp1 | June 29, 2009 1:06 PM

To: AristotleTheHun | June 27, 2009 11:33 PM

YOU MADE NO ARGUMENT EXCEPT A REFERENCE TO A WEBSITE WHICH IT TURNS OUT IS YOUR OWN PERSONAL BLOG SITE. YOU ARE OFFICIALLY DISCREDITED BY THAT SELF SERVING CIRCULAR ARGUMENT. BY THE WAY, YOUR WEBSITE REEKS OF FALSEHHOODS AND AMIPULATIVE PROPOGANDA. WHAT A JOKE YOU ARE.

Posted by: gregp1 | June 29, 2009 1:03 PM

Ike issued a formal statement on Cecil B. DeMilie's death.

Posted by: JakeD | June 28, 2009 9:47 PM

JFK issued a formal statement on Gary Cooper's death.

Posted by: JakeD | June 28, 2009 9:18 PM

LBJ issued a formal statement on Charlie Chaplin's death.

Posted by: JakeD | June 28, 2009 8:52 PM

President Nixon issued a formal statement on the passing of Louis Armstrong.

Posted by: JakeD | June 28, 2009 4:23 PM

President Ford issued a formal statement on the passing of Rod Serling.

Posted by: JakeD | June 28, 2009 1:59 PM

President Carter eulogized John Wayne.

Posted by: JakeD | June 28, 2009 1:27 PM

dematheart:

I am registered Independent, not Republican. Nice try though.

Posted by: JakeD | June 28, 2009 2:18 AM

Validated Facts on Obama Eligibility Story Updated and Expanded

If you read the articles at the link and review the citations at the embedded links, you will be “literate” about the facts of the “eligibility” story and will be able to inform the public objectively.

AKA Obama Fans: All together now – say OMG!!

Posted by: AristotleTheHun | June 27, 2009 11:33 PM

Thank goodness someone has the ability to put this guy's death into proper perspective.

Posted by: fcodispoti | June 27, 2009 11:08 PM

Republicans are always off topic. They forget the rest of the country when discussing every issue and follow their own demented hypocritical ideology in to the ground--they are the fact free GOP, and jaked and dottdo have bought all the way in.

Keep it up fools, that is why your party is at a whopping 23% approval, nearing extinction, and the GOP is supported only by racists.

If President Obama made a statement publicly about MJ, the goper sheep would scream that he was showing racial bias.

Anyone but a radical republican freak would know that.

Posted by: dematheart | June 27, 2009 10:29 PM

pResident Obama will probably speak at Jackson's funeral service.

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 10:08 PM

Frank Sinatra had ties to the Mob. Nonetheless, a scumbag like Clinton acknowledged his impact on America at his passing. Just another example of Obama's insignificant impact. Taken in isolation, the lack of a formal statement may seem "petty" by I am not just focused on this one instance. To answer your questions, I am not petty, but I do love my country.

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 9:56 PM

jakeD - thanks for the support of a great dem, pres Clinton. Welcome to the bright side of the aisle.....
By the way, Sinatra was not embroiled in legal controversy for molesting chidren. Why is this frivolous concern about Obama so important to you? Are you that petty?

Posted by: gregp1 | June 27, 2009 8:21 PM

President Clinton issued a moving statement when Frank Sinatra passed.

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 7:16 PM

JakeD - I recant my overly generous "compliment" to you. You are not intelligent and engaging. You are just engaging.

Posted by: gregp1 | June 27, 2009 3:41 PM

It's such a giggle. jaked thinks he's discrediting Obama by making a fool of himself. The prissy, affected vanity of jaked's obsessive little posts just ices the cake.

Darn. Obama apparently doesn't appeal to twitchy compulsive fruit loops. Guess we'll have to write off that demographic for 2012.

Posted by: nodebris | June 27, 2009 3:38 PM

By the way, the TOPIC is "President" Obama failing to issue a formal statement. If he is not "President" that is, in fact, relevant to the TOPIC.

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 11:28 AM

For the record, I also have posted on-topic several times below.

I see that I need to correct the word "Dies" at 3:19 to "Does".

And, if anyone else is interested in boycotting Letterman SPONSORS:

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 11:23 AM

Congrats, fellow liberals -- you allowed a diehard wingnut AND a Birther to hijack the topic of the OP into a completely irrelevant tangent.

I'm not sure why you allow yourselves to be so easily baited, but the troll is having his anti-Obama fun at your expense. I beg you to bring this thread back on topic, if it means anything at this point, of course.

Insofar as President Obama's supposed obligation to make a public announcement vis-a-vis the death of Michael Jackson, that's up to him, of course. It doesn't impact the debate on healthcare, energy, the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, the election crisis in Iran, or any of the other myriad of issues addressed by teh President on any given day.

In other words, if President Obama chooses to make a statement from the Oval Office on MJ's passing, or if he refrains from saying anything overt (other than the private condolences he's already given to the family), it really means nothing one way or the other. Making speeches -- or not making speeches -- on cultural celebrities is not why I voted for him.

Posted by: Lab2112 | June 27, 2009 10:56 AM

gregp1:

Yes, no, no, no, yes, no. Anymore questions?

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 10:49 AM

I honestly LOVE JakeD and dottydo!

They blame Obama and democrats for everything, blissfully unaware of the effect their racist, uneducated and anti-American rantings have on their own party.

They are THE BEST example of why independent voters and moderate republicans are RUNNING away from the republican party.

Keep it up, guys. PLEASE!

DAStubbs,
Minneapolis

Posted by: dastubbs | June 27, 2009 10:11 AM

I honestly LOVE JakeD and dottydo.

They blame Obama and democrats for everything, blissfully ignorant of the affect their racist, uneducated, anti-American rantings are having on their own party.

They are THE BEST examples of why independent voters are RUNNING away from the republican party.

Keep it up, guys. PLEASE!

DAStubbs,
Minneapolis

Posted by: dastubbs | June 27, 2009 10:05 AM

Check back in ten hours for all of my answers to your questions. Dies anyone else know if Paul Shaffer is really coming out with a book?

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 3:19 AM

JakeD - you lost me, I think you are off topic with Letterman. Stay away from FOX "news", I think it is affecting you..

Posted by: gregp1 | June 27, 2009 3:09 AM

Ford and Lowes need to be added to the Letterman SPONSOR Boycott. The Top Ten List was stupid. Martin Short was hilarious as always.

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 3:02 AM

I am simply taking as long to answer your questions to me as you did to answer mine to you.

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 2:50 AM

Jake D - I am not David Letterman and you are not Sarah Palin. Please confirm. Are we not off topic?

Posted by: gregp1 | June 27, 2009 2:41 AM

David Letterman making fun of his apology to the Palin family again. "Gradually working my way back into your hearts."

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 2:38 AM

I did already answer your question, just not on your very narrow terms, which was obviously a trap. I have now answered it at least three different ways including specifically on your ridiculous terms. My god that was a lot of work. Must retire now, thanks for the challenging banter, it was fun. We shall meet again! LOL :-)

Posted by: gregp1 | June 27, 2009 2:17 AM

I was typing my 1:59 post before I saw your 1:54 post. I will give you a chance to catch up now, before I post again.

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 2:14 AM

LOL. But you claimed you had already answered my question. You are funny. Really.

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 2:11 AM

JakeD - I apologize for calling you a moron. You are actually intelligent and engaging. Unfortunately, you are also a delusional right wing wacko.

Posted by: gregp1 | June 27, 2009 2:11 AM

JakeD - If my answer below is not an answer, thne nothing will ever satisfy your bloodlus t for attack. you are sick.

Posted by: gregp1 | June 27, 2009 2:06 AM

JAkeD - Just for you, I copied the following text from an article about the false controversy over Obamas birthplace:

The answer is that he hasn't hidden it. Obama's birth certificate can be viewed online at FactCheck.org, which provides close-up photos of the raised seal and the official state signature. When I explained this to the caller, he said he'd heard the copies online were fakes. I asked him if he'd actually gone to FactCheck. No, he said, he hadn't. He had his laptop with him and called up the site as we were talking. He said he'd check it out and hung up.

Going back to the caller's original query about why the mainstream media hasn't been writing about this controversy, the answer is that the mainstream media believes the question has been answered. FactCheck, Politifact and Snopes have all verified that Obama's Hawaiian birth certificate is legitimate. On Nov. 1, the Honolulu Advertiser also reported that Hawaii's state health director "personally inspected Obama's birth certificate and found it to be valid."

Posted by: gregp1 | June 27, 2009 2:02 AM

I believe the record here is very clear. Anyone can read your posts and tell you never answered my question to you ("Can you verify Obama's birthplace?". Avoiding the question, even with "I don't have his birth certificate" is irrelevant because there are many other ways to "verify". It would be nice if Obama simply released his "long form" birth certicate though. Have a nice life.

Back on topic, for those of you defending Obama on this:

the last three or four Presidents all issued formal statements when Hollywood celebrities died. Why won't The One? Can he not afford to even acknowledge other celebrities?

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 1:59 AM

JakeD - yes I can verify his birthplace. I just chose not to waste my time doing something so silly as that. And you?

Posted by: gregp1 | June 27, 2009 1:54 AM

I'm not "attacking" you or calling anyone's question "stupid". The question is whether you can verify Obama's birthplace -- that could be answered with a simple "yes" or "no" -- without ALL CAPS too. This is the last chance you have to actually answer my question.

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 1:47 AM

gregp1: YOUR question was whether you can verify where Obama was born. It doesn't count if you "answer" someone else's question.

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 12:09 AM

JAKED - THIS IS NOT A GAMESHOW WHERE YOU SET THE RULES. THIS IS AN EXERSISE EXCHANGE OF IDEAS. YOU LOSE EVERY ARGUMENT YOU MAKE -IT IS SO MUCH FUN PLAYING WITH YOU!

Posted by: gregp1 | June 27, 2009 1:43 AM

JakeD - If it doesnt matter to you that I answered the question you posed to another, then that proves you are more interested in the fight, than the answer. In other words, you do not seek the truth at all.

YES, I did answer your question to me, I do so again here in more detail since you failed to understand the more nuanced answer:

THE PUBLIC RECORDS SYSTEM IN THE USA IS HAS VALIDATED OBAMA'S BIRTHPLACE IN HAWAII. OF COURSE I DO NOT HAVE A COPY OF HIS BIRTH RECORD, WHAT A STUPID QUESTION - ARE YOU A MORON?

Posted by: gregp1 | June 27, 2009 1:38 AM

JakeD - If it doesnt matter to you that I answered the question you posed to another, then that proves you are more interested in the fight, than the answer. and YES, I did answer your question, I do so again here in more detail since you failed to understand the more nuanced answer:

THE PUBLIC RECORDS SYSTEM IN THE USA IS HAS VALIDATED OBAMA'S BIRTHPLACE IN HAWAII. OF COURSE I DO NOT HAVE A COPY OF HIS BIRTH RECORD, WHAT ASTUPID QUESTION - ARE YOU A MORON?

Posted by: gregp1 | June 27, 2009 1:36 AM

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK... NO OTHER ABILITIES?

Posted by: opp88 | June 27, 2009 12:16 AM

gregp1:

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 12:09 AM

JakeD: I answered your question for pweisbel so why would you ask him right above my answer to you? I know why - whenver you lose an argument you change the subject as a distraction. What a child you are.

Posted by: gregp1 | June 26, 2009 11:26 PM

pweisbel:

If you will answer my question, I would be more than happy to have a "discussion" by answering your questions.

Posted by: JakeD | June 26, 2009 10:49 PM

pweisbe1: Right On!

JakeD: Arnold Shwarznegger cannot become president for precisely the reason you are falsely attaching to Obama. If Obama had the same restriction he would not now be in office. The fact that you hang onto such specious arguments just demonstrates further the flaws in your logic. In other words, you lost you fool, get over it!

Posted by: gregp1 | June 26, 2009 10:44 PM

pweisbe1:

Would you agree that if Arnold Schwarzenegger, as a naturalized U.S. citizen, was somehow "duly elected" by the majority of American voters, that doesn't automatically mean he is CONSTITUTIONALLY QUALIFIED to become President?

Posted by: JakeD | June 26, 2009 8:20 PM

Many respondents did stick to the issue of whether President Obama should send condolences to the Jackson family. This is not a huge issue compared to other issues on the president's plate. The people who continually quiestion President Obama's birth are forgetting he is a duly elected leader. Get over it and move on! I had to do the same when W stole the 2000 election. I am prouder now as an American than any other time in my life. I do not care what right wing wackos say about that because the logic and reason tend to be lacking in their hateful responses.

Posted by: pweisbe1 | June 26, 2009 7:46 PM

nodebris:

Yes, but it's a guilty pleasure.

Posted by: JohnQuimby | June 26, 2009 7:34 PM

I love Michael Jackson's music but loathe his apparent pedophilia. This creates a paradox for Obama. If Obama spoke out the JakeDs and Dottydos of the world would then he was supporting pedophiliacs. Should he also comment on Farah Faucet and Ed McMahon? You guys will fault him for what he does or what he does not do, regardless that this is not his role. how pathetic you are.

Posted by: gregp1 | June 26, 2009 7:26 PM

To DOTTYDO: Your questions to me are so loaded with false premises that they do not even warrant a debate. I.e you said Since “98% of Americans do not believe that Obama was born in the States” JUST PROVES HOW OUT OF TOUCH YOU REALLY ARE. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY OF A DISCUSSION.

Posted by: gregp1 | June 26, 2009 7:20 PM

To JAKED WHO SAID THE FOLLOWING: Even if 98% of Americans believed that pResident Obama was born in the United States, a legal action for QUO WARRANTO places the "burden of proof" on the elected official.
ANSWER: IF OBAMA FAILED THE BURDEN OF PROOF, HE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO RUN FOR OFFICE. THAT IS JUST SILLY.

Posted by: gregp1 | June 26, 2009 7:19 PM

As we all know, junkies abuse themselves and usually die before their time. Michael Jackson was a junkie. RIP.

Barry

Posted by: dickhealy | June 26, 2009 6:46 PM

Hard to figure out who is more white: Vanilla Ice, Obama or Michael Jackson.

Posted by: cschotta1 | June 26, 2009 6:03 PM

And now that I have actually read the article, I find the WH dismissive attitude toward his death highly offensive. I mean Ronald Reagan recognized his contribution to the history of entertainment. Years ago. So what's up with Obama?

Posted by: zen99 | June 26, 2009 5:54 PM

I haven't even read the article yet, but was wondering the same thing last night. Why no comment from Obama? What's his problem? Is he too well adjusted to admire someone like Michael Jackson? Why the silence?

Posted by: zen99 | June 26, 2009 5:50 PM

coqui44:

Good points (maybe that's why Rev. Wright is so upset about being thrown under the bus ; )

Posted by: JakeD | June 26, 2009 5:13 PM

I love it when dottydo and jaked come out to let their freak flags fly.

Posted by: nodebris | June 26, 2009 5:09 PM

the pResident, to use another commenter's quip, has major issues with African Americans. He has no problems with Blacks in Africa, but he seems to despise AF.

Posted by: coqui44 | June 26, 2009 5:05 PM

Posted by: JakeD | June 26, 2009 5:04 PM

@dottydo:

You wrote: Since 98% of Americans do not believe that Obama was born in the States...

Can you please cite a source? (Web links are preferred.)

Posted by: thinman1 | June 26, 2009 5:04 PM

I love it when JakeD refuses to answer questions until his own "questions" are answered.

But that's more or less what I expect from someone who shares the views of a white supremacist.

Posted by: thinman1 | June 26, 2009 5:03 PM

gregp1
Since 98% of Americans do not believe that Obama was born in the States, dsoesn't he have an obligation of transparency?
The burden of proof?

No other President of the USA ever placed their history into a Court ordered secret (which is misuse of the judicial system by a public official. Public official = taxpayer owned.

Posted by: dottydo | June 26, 2009 5:02 PM

gregp1,
Obama has 3 problems and you can answer them all.

How did he travel with his father as an Indonesian and sign up for a US selective service as an Indonesian passport carrying citizen , even thought there was no manditory draft in the USA any more?
The United States discontinued the draft in 1973,and did not re-instate registration until 1980.

Can you provide a copy of his draft registration?

Posted by: dottydo | June 26, 2009 4:57 PM

I'd be happy to refer to him as "pResident Obama" from now on, though, since that was sufficient for your side re: GWB.

Posted by: JakeD | June 26, 2009 4:56 PM

gregp1:

I will take that as a "no". If you want me to answer your questions, you are going to have to answer my question first.

Posted by: JakeD | June 26, 2009 4:54 PM

I am disappointed by the failure of President Obama to speak publicly about the passing of the King of Pop. My vote for him was a waste--typical politician.

Posted by: bill121 | June 26, 2009 4:51 PM

To JakeD who said "I was not present when Obama was born, so I cannot verify that he was born in the USA. Can you?" MY ANSWER: ANOTHER DUMB ANSWER FROM YOU. THE PUBLIC RECORDS SYSTEM IN THE USA IS INVALID AND ONLY WITNESSES TO A BIRTH CAN VOUCH FOR THE SAME. I GUESS THAT EXPLAINS IT - YOU WERE BORN UNDER A ROCK!..YOU ONLY VOTE PRO-LIFE REGARDLESS OF ALL OTHER ISSUE? oh please! CHARLES MANSON WAS PRO-LIFE, WOULD YOU VOTE FOR HIM? Arguing with you is like shooting blind fish in a barrel...

Posted by: gregp1 | June 26, 2009 4:50 PM

Apparently, Farrah Fawcett was just too white and "one of those women"i to send out condolences to.
Best to stick to pedophile whacko Jacko, it fits the Obama style of bass ackwards.

Posted by: dottydo | June 26, 2009 4:50 PM

Posted by: JakeD | June 26, 2009 3:23 PM

Posted by: gregp1 | June 26, 2009 4:48 PM

He sent condolences to the family; no other statement is needed.

Posted by: NeverLeft | June 26, 2009 4:23 PM

Obama's failure to acknowledge Michael Jackson's life and death shows a lack of class. Where the hell would Barack Obama be without people like Michael Jackson breaking down racial barriers? You know the whole cross over thing? MJ is certainly nobody's boy scout, but he deserves a little more acknowledgement than what Obama has offered.

Posted by: PepperDr | June 26, 2009 4:20 PM

I'm sure the President will have a statement as soon as the polling is complete and the teleprompter "booted up." Leaderless in America continues...no original thoughts coming from this Administration. At least Bush was a leader who kept us safe...Obama is on a downward spiral without a spine.

Posted by: powerange | June 26, 2009 4:07 PM

Pres. Obama should not single out Michael Jackson's passing; it he does, then he should mention Carradine, Fawcett and MacMahon and all the other stars that will be dying in the near future.

Posted by: mstratas | June 26, 2009 3:47 PM

How will you remember Michael Jackson as?

Posted by: usadblake | June 26, 2009 3:44 PM

JakeD is at it again, espousing the same views held by white supremacist and Holocaust Museum attacker, James von Brunn, that President Obama's citizenship is in question.

I don't know about anyone else, but I tend not to listen to anyone who shares the views of white supremacists.

Posted by: thinman1 | June 26, 2009 3:25 PM

The White House extended condolences to the Jackson family ? Yea What kind of message does the public worship of A WEIRDO dressed and made up like a clown school flunkie , jumping around like a freaking WITCH Dr. holding his crotch for 45 years send ? And the president praises the success of a depraved ... oh never mind... NOTHING out of this administration and his SERVILE MEDIA should shock anyone . Wake me up in 2012

Posted by: noHUCKABEEnoVOTE | June 26, 2009 3:23 PM

gregp1:

My mother has passed on, so no. I was not present when Obama was born, so I cannot verify that he was born in the USA. Can you? Since I am registered Independent, I couldn't care less what is better for the GOP or not -- I simply want pro-life politicans in office (regardless of party affiliation).

Posted by: JakeD | June 26, 2009 3:23 PM

What an odious and ignorant comparison! When a country with which we have full diplomatic relations loses its head of state, a custom shelf statement is on-the-ready from the State Department. This is diplomatic protocol, it doesnt matter if its a tyrant or a democratic icon. Gabon may be corrupt and relatively undemocratic, but when you look at its stability, the relative wealth of its people and the peaceful role it has played in a neighborhood full of war on every border, you get a better context. Are King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia and President Mubarak of Egypt notorius dictators?

Responding to the death of a head of state is automatic and perfunctory. We don't know if the President has privately reached out to the Jackson family. His condolences will be for them first. Screw you for such a ridiculous post!

Posted by: asja | June 26, 2009 3:21 PM

Shear with this entry shows me that this country is truly enamoured with Barack Obama. They hang on everything that he does, and fuss like a hen with every comment or non-comment. We are not upset with a President not issuing a statement right away on this matter. Its OK, let's just chill. We all love Michael Jackson so we are OK.

Posted by: rocky | June 26, 2009 3:16 PM

Heads of State express condolences for Heads of State. It's called diplomacy.

If Obama has now extended condolences to the Jackson family, I hope he has similarly mourned Farrah Fawcett and every other entertainer that has died in the last 5 months. Non-story.

Posted by: mikeinmidland | June 26, 2009 3:15 PM

JakeD -
1) Obama was born in the USA, McCain was not. Your sheepish attachment to specious propaganda is proof of your failed judgment.
2) He is the President, not the "President"
3) Sanford's resignation is in the best interest iof the GOP, not the dems. Another display of foolish judgement on your part.
4) DOes your mom know you are on this site, son?

Posted by: gregp1 | June 26, 2009 3:11 PM

Are you kidding me?! Why on earth would Obama comment? Michael Jackson died; which can hardly be surprising, really. He was just an entertainer: this is hardly a matter of state...

Posted by: owl1 | June 26, 2009 3:06 PM

(assuming that "President" Obama is even a natural-born U.S. citizen ; )

Posted by: JakeD | June 26, 2009 2:51 PM

Huh!?! This is a joke, right? Well, if the citizens of Pop are offended that our President didn't offer proper condolences to their king, they are welcome to attack us.

Seriously, so what?

Posted by: murray395 | June 26, 2009 2:50 PM

Shear:

The White House has now extended condolences to the Jackson family.

Posted by: JakeD | June 26, 2009 2:47 PM

usadblake:

Posted by: JakeD | June 26, 2009 2:45 PM

I just read the above correspondent, and this or his screed is just a little weird even for the WashPo.

I'm out!!

Posted by: suipreme | June 26, 2009 2:42 PM

Should Mark Sanford resign as Governor of South Carolina?

Posted by: usadblake | June 26, 2009 2:25 PM

He's the President!

Posted by: rlj1 | June 26, 2009 2:02 PM

Could Jacko Be a Victim of a High-Tech Perfect Crime?

Is anyone asking the question:

What forces in society might want to engineer Michael Jackson's early demise?

He was reviled by some as an alleged pedophile. Are today's crop of "info-tainment" journalists so naive as to believe that some entity might not want to send society a "message" here?

Or is it that such things could never happen in America? Never, ever. Like the Tuskegee Experiments, Or the lynchings. Or McCarthyism. Or the extrajudicial targeting and punishment network allegedly enabled by units of government on various levels...

A thesis to consider:

WAS MICHAEL JACKSON ASSASSINATED BY A SILENT BLAST FROM A MICROWAVE RADIATION 'DIRECTED ENERGY WEAPON' CAPABLE OF INDUCING CARDIAC ARREST?

Whether or not that's just fantasy, the fact is that the technology now exists to commit the "perfect crime."

And mainstream journalism has yet to report extensively on the seismic shift from bullets and shells to silent, mind- and body-degrading, potentially lethal, microwave radiation "directed energy weapons."

Journos, Congress, and Conscientious, Constitution-abiding Law Enforcers...

Please read this and follow up:

OR

http://NowPublic.com/scrivener RE: "GESTAPO USA"

Posted by: scrivener50 | June 26, 2009 1:52 PM