The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

National Security

Obama Signs War Funding Bill

By Michael A. Fletcher
President Obama today signed into law a $105.9 billion war funding bill that supports his plan to step up the fight in Afghanistan until the end of September even as the war in Iraq continues to wind down.

"We face a security situation abroad that demands urgent attention. The Taliban is resurgent and al Qaeda is increasing its attacks from its safe haven along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border," Obama said. "The funding provided in this act will ensure that the full force of the United States is engaged in an overall effort to defeat al-Qaeda and uproot this safe haven."

The bill, which also includes controversial, new funding for the International Monetary Fund and $7.7 billion y to combat the H1N1 flu virus, was passed by Congress only after intense lobbying by the administration to overcome objections from both Republicans and Democrats. Along the way, lawmakers worried about the political ramifications releasing or incarcerating detainees from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in their districts or states, stripped $80 million from the bill.

The Obama administration said that this "emergency" spending bill would be the last of its kind, and that subsequent war spending would go through the regular budget process.

Posted at 6:08 PM ET on Jun 26, 2009  | Category:  National Security
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Lynn Rosenthal Named White House Adviser on Violence Against Women | Next: Obama Urges Senators to Back Cap and Trade Bill

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

You see Jake? Ypu won't even respond to me. Because I talked about church? Frankly, I'm not particularly religious. My education, (Yes I have a college degree and some post-grduate), is in science/biology/healthcare.
Is it because I fessed that my father was in the news? Yes, it's national and sometimes international but truly, it's just business and he's never been connected to scandal.

So how come you won't continue a debate with me?

Posted by: smacked1 | June 29, 2009 2:58 PM

Jake D: If Obama had been born in Kenya, he wouldn't be qualified to be president under the US Constitution. Do you really think that his US biirth hasn't been vetted by anyone?

Posted by: smacked1 | June 29, 2009 2:09 PM

I am commenting on a different article that has to do with the Obama's trying to find a church home. I too have had difficulty finding a safe church-home. In part because my father has been in the news and has some noteriety, but he is a business and not a political figure.

My goal for a church-home is to be able to be myself, apart from my family. It's sad that that is hard for me to do. I would like a church that includes people from all walks of life but that has proved difficult for me because I am not allowed anonimity due to my father's noteriety.I live in a small town and nobody knows who my Dad is but eventually, if I try to join a group, somebody finds out and exposes me. So I've stopped trying.

I really feel a personal need for the sanctuary of a church-home but have not been able to find it. I hope the Obamas have found someplace where they can feel a part of the congregation because of the people they are and not the outside positions they hold.

Please be aware that the president and his family give up so much to serve us, including they're ability to worship in peace and anonimity. That's a huge sacrifice. Pray for them, please.

Posted by: smacked1 | June 29, 2009 2:02 PM

To answer your questions: you heard me right, even though I am "happy" either way. This has not been "looked into" on the merits by any court of law (dismissal in the Supreme Court was on procedural grounds).

Posted by: JakeD | June 29, 2009 1:55 PM

smacked1:

I understand that it "has been reported" Obama was born in Hawaii -- it "has also been reported" Obama was born in Kenya -- why won't he simply release his LONG FORM birth certificate to prove it?

Posted by: JakeD | June 29, 2009 1:53 PM

To JakeD: Obama was born in Hawaii. This has been in the news repeatedly. What? You won't be happy until someone tells you he was born and raised in an Al Queda training camp in Afghanistan? Do you really think this hasn't been looked into?

Posted by: smacked1 | June 29, 2009 1:40 PM

Have we two governments here? The Obama out-of-Iraq government and the Pentagon/Bush Messianist government? Or are they one and the same, give or take an alternative lifestyle or two?

Posted by: sawargos | June 29, 2009 12:04 PM

Gee, Obama won't satisfy a right wing nut case's absurd demand. How very worrisome.

Keep posting until he makes you happy, jaked. You're making a real impression.

Posted by: nodebris | June 27, 2009 3:46 PM

I've also said, all along, that I wouldn't post another word about where Obama was born if he simply released his LONG FORM birth certificate. It doesn't bother any of you that he won't do that?

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 11:41 AM

Obama DID promise to wait five (5) days before signing any bill for public comment.

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 10:58 AM

Okay, so I am willfully ignorant.

But I did not say a word about campaign promises.

r m kraus

Posted by: rmkraus | June 27, 2009 9:49 AM

Did (Acting President) Biden sign it?

Posted by: JakeD | June 27, 2009 12:34 AM

To answer mil1's question, this is the supplemental. The war was not included in the final Bush budget (the one we're currently on) so this supplemental was required.

To answer rmkraus, candidate Obama said over and over and over that a vote for him was a vote to end the war in Iraq through a phased withdrawal over about a year and a half (16 months, which later changed to 18) and also a vote to step up the U.S. effort in Afghanistan. Only the willfully ignorant could be surprised that he's doing exactly what he said he would, not once but many many times.

Posted by: fairfaxvoter | June 26, 2009 11:19 PM

Funding a war is quite routine in the USA anymore. It is the thing to do . . . . . all of our elected officials don't hesitate to vote for it. If one or a few of our soldiers are injured or killed in some far off land, the thing to do is to throw some more money at the problem. It goes on forever.

rmk, akron

Posted by: rmkraus | June 26, 2009 10:43 PM

Does anyone know--is it this supplemental or the FY10 DOD bill that has the additional F-22s in it?

Posted by: mil1 | June 26, 2009 7:55 PM